2019 Samsung Q90R Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4068Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 5261 Old 03-06-2019, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sd13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,703
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 1030
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
How about doing something "novel"? lol

How about before you go looking for problems - just turn the TV on and watch some movies, etc.

I bet you will have a completely different feeling about your TV.

Then, if you really, really, really want to - look at full color/grey slides, etc.
You don't go.looking for dse when it's at this level. It finds you.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
fafrd, Cuthalu, srkmish and 1 others like this.
sd13 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 5261 Old 03-06-2019, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sd13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,703
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 1030
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
I guess I'm very luck then. I own a 55" Samsung Q7C with an AU Optronics AA01 panel and a 2018 65" Samsung NU6900 with a Samsung FA01 panel, and neither are afflicted with visible DSE or VB. Last year's top of the line 65" Q9FN had lots of issues and if the new 65" Q90R does that would be pathetic.
Edge lits are usually not effected by heavy dse. And it seems that the more Zones per square inch a Samsung TV has, the more dse it has. That is why the 65" q9fn had the worse dse of any tv I've ever seen and i swapped out 4 of em.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
thisbryanguy001 likes this.
sd13 is online now  
post #183 of 5261 Old 03-06-2019, 04:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
Edge lits are usually not effected by heavy dse. And it seems that the more Zones per square inch a Samsung TV has, the more dse it has. That is why the 65" q9fn had the worse dse of any tv I've ever seen and i swapped out 4 of em.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
100% spot on, edge-lit TVs with minimal to no local dimming features tend to have nearly perfect uniformity almost every time. The next TV I've seriously been considering for gaming is a 55-inch 2018 Q7FN because of this.
srkmish likes this.
thisbryanguy001 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #184 of 5261 Old 03-06-2019, 04:50 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisbryanguy001 View Post
100% spot on, edge-lit TVs with minimal to no local dimming features tend to have nearly perfect uniformity almost every time. The next TV I've seriously been considering for gaming is a 55-inch 2018 Q7FN because of this.
Yeah. I have a Vizio E series and it is perfect in terms of DSE and uniformity. I don't find a single fault with it. I am also leaning towards Q7FN towards my next 75 inch purchase.
srkmish is offline  
post #185 of 5261 Old 03-06-2019, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VA_DaveB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,355
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
Edge lits are usually not effected by heavy dse. And it seems that the more Zones per square inch a Samsung TV has, the more dse it has. That is why the 65" q9fn had the worse dse of any tv I've ever seen and i swapped out 4 of em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisbryanguy001 View Post
100% spot on, edge-lit TVs with minimal to no local dimming features tend to have nearly perfect uniformity almost every time. The next TV I've seriously been considering for gaming is a 55-inch 2018 Q7FN because of this.
So then I guess I'm lucky I only had a paltry budget of $1,400 for two TVs and ended up with two DSE/VB free edge-lit panels.
srkmish and thisbryanguy001 like this.
VA_DaveB is online now  
post #186 of 5261 Old 03-06-2019, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
GunmetalR56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 615
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikejl View Post
Still waiting on UPS to deliver my 65Q90. When I ordered this from Amazon on 2/23 I was really excited and looking forward to getting it. Now I'm stressing that I might lose the "Panel Lottery".

Delivery is guaranteed by 8:00 pm so I will definitely be posting some pictures later.
Curious as to what you find. 2 more days for me.. I'm getting the panel lottery sweats now.

Ascend Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Ascend Horizon Center w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 2 surrounds, PSB Imagine XA Atmos modules (x4), SVS PB13 Ultras (x2), SVS PB12+ (x2)
Denon X6500H / Emotiva Mini-X a-100
Panasonic DP-UB820 / PS4 Pro / XBOX 1X
Sony XBR75Z9D, LG OLED65B7A
GunmetalR56 is offline  
post #187 of 5261 Old 03-06-2019, 05:32 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunmetalR56 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikejl View Post
Still waiting on UPS to deliver my 65Q90. When I ordered this from Amazon on 2/23 I was really excited and looking forward to getting it. Now I'm stressing that I might lose the "Panel Lottery".

Delivery is guaranteed by 8:00 pm so I will definitely be posting some pictures later.
Curious as to what you find. 2 more days for me.. I'm getting the panel lottery sweats now.
Mine comes Monday and I feel the same way. It makes me wonder what I would think if I didn’t go looking for some of this stuff or read too deep into some comments. I wonder if I would even notice and would just think it’s a nice upgrade from what I had before.
benboy12 is offline  
post #188 of 5261 Old 03-06-2019, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: WI
Posts: 2,873
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2325 Post(s)
Liked: 1130
There is one owner over in the Q80R owner's thread - and he is very happy with his TV.

Shopping List:
TV: Samsung Q90R, or LG C9, or Sony ...
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820, or Sony X800M, or Pioneer Elite LX500
Soundbar: Samsung Q90R, or Sennheiser Ambeo, or...
AVR and Speakers: Marantz 8012, or... and GE Triton Reference, or...
New24K is offline  
post #189 of 5261 Old 03-06-2019, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
Blackvette94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
I guess I'm very luck then. I own a 55" Samsung Q7C with an AU Optronics AA01 panel and a 2018 65" Samsung NU6900 with a Samsung FA01 panel, and neither are afflicted with visible DSE or VB. Last year's top of the line 65" Q9FN had lots of issues and if the new 65" Q90R does that would be pathetic.
Edge lits are usually not effected by heavy dse. And it seems that the more Zones per square inch a Samsung TV has, the more dse it has. That is why the 65" q9fn had the worse dse of any tv I've ever seen and i swapped out 4 of em.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
100% agree!

The biggest issue I have with displays outside of input lag is dse and vertical banding. In the last two years for led tvs, I have seen Sony be the most consistent and best for panel uniformity. I have two 55 x930e’s, one 49 sony x900f and I owned for about a year the Samsung q9 that Gregg Loewen isf calibrated and I have a C8 and c7 oled.

Of all of those tvs, the x930e and the oled have the least amount of dse and no vertical banding (both oleds have it on low level grey/black screens but other content dont show it).

I was really hoping the q90r would fix the dse that impacted the other fald samsung qleds but it appears that may not be the case. It has really low lag and would work on my gravity stand I have from samsung. I am also surprised they are shipping AUO optic panels from the outset for 65inch ones. My q9 has a FA03 which is a Samsung panel and there is definately a difference there.

I am now thinking the z9f would be best for dedicated large screen gaming as they factory calibrate the uniformity before shipping which is why the z9f has such exceptional uniformity. At first I thought the z9f was horrible due to blooming when I saw it at Magnolia but once I asked for the remote and took it out of vivid mode and put it in cinema mode, the blacks looked VERY good! Anyone liking the z9f for gaming?

Last edited by Blackvette94; 03-06-2019 at 05:43 PM.
Blackvette94 is offline  
post #190 of 5261 Old 03-06-2019, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Maxs_dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 21
An hour after my 5 hour window ended I called AGS and I got the “truck broke down” excuse. I had heard bad things about AGS and this pretty much validates that. Good thing I took the afternoon off. It is alleged to be delivered tomorrow morning in a one hour window.
Maxs_dad is offline  
post #191 of 5261 Old 03-06-2019, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sd13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,703
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 1030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackvette94 View Post
100% agree!

The biggest issue I have with displays outside of input lag is dse and vertical banding. In the last two years for led tvs, I have seen Sony be the most consistent and best for panel uniformity. I have two 55 x930e’s, one 49 sony x900f and I owned for about a year the Samsung q9 that Gregg Loewen isf calibrated and I have a C8 and c7 oled.

Of all of those tvs, the x930e and the oled have the least amount of dse and no vertical banding (both oleds have it on low level grey/black screens but other content dont show it).

I was really hoping the q90r would fix the dse that impacted the other fald samsung qleds but it appears that may not be the case. It has really low lag and would work on my gravity stand I have from samsung. I am also surprised they are shipping AUO optic panels from the outset for 65inch ones. My q9 has a FA03 which is a Samsung panel and there is definately a difference there.

I am now thinking the z9f would be best for dedicated large screen gaming as they factory calibrate the uniformity before shipping which is why the z9f has such exceptional uniformity. At first I thought the z9f was horrible due to blooming when I saw it at Magnolia but once I asked for the remote and took it out of vivid mode and put it in cinema mode, the blacks looked VERY good! Anyone liking the z9f for gaming?
I tried 3 aa01 and 2 fa02 and they all had heavy dse. You said you have an fa03. How's the dse on that compared to others you tried?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
sd13 is online now  
post #192 of 5261 Old 03-06-2019, 06:19 PM
Member
 
Lorderl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Klimo View Post
My 65Q90R arrived on Monday afternoon.

And I just initiated the return...

Why? Well, unfortunately because of the level of dirty screen effect and vertical banding.
I wonder if the 65" Q90 is a repeat of the 2018 65" Q9FN. Then the 75" Q90 will have less issues and look vastly superior. Guess we see as more owners post their findings.


Anyone know when the 75" are releasing?

Display: Samsung LN55B650
AVR: Denon 2809ci
Players: OPPO BDP-83 || Streaming: Amazon Fire TV || Kindle Fire HD8
Speakers: Paradigm Studio 20v3 || CC-570v3 || ADP-470v3
Sub: JTR Captivator 2400ULF-10hz
Lorderl is offline  
post #193 of 5261 Old 03-06-2019, 06:20 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackvette94 View Post
I am now thinking the z9f would be best for dedicated large screen gaming as they factory calibrate the uniformity before shipping which is why the z9f has such exceptional uniformity. At first I thought the z9f was horrible due to blooming when I saw it at Magnolia but once I asked for the remote and took it out of vivid mode and put it in cinema mode, the blacks looked VERY good! Anyone liking the z9f for gaming?
I have mentioned this in a couple of other threads that I love my Z9F. No blooming in the right settings, very bright if that's what you want. Terrific detail and color. Black is as good as I need. Great upscaler and the best wide angle viewing of any LCD on the market

I compared it at 3 different stores with the Samsung QFN9 and the Sony just blew it away from a detail and off axis standpoint. A lot of people here hate this set but they have never owned one or tuned it.
srkmish likes this.
agincourt is offline  
post #194 of 5261 Old 03-06-2019, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sd13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,703
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 1030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorderl View Post
I wonder if the 65" Q90 is a repeat of the 2018 65" Q9FN. Then the 75" Q90 will have less issues and look vastly superior. Guess we see as more owns post their findings.


Anyone know when the 75" are releasing?
Then the better choice for a 65 would be the q80. I found the 65 q8fn had a superior sdr image to the 65 q9fn in terms of saturation and uniformity.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
sd13 is online now  
post #195 of 5261 Old 03-06-2019, 06:22 PM
Senior Member
 
JoelArt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackvette94 View Post
100% agree!

The biggest issue I have with displays outside of input lag is dse and vertical banding. In the last two years for led tvs, I have seen Sony be the most consistent and best for panel uniformity. I have two 55 x930e’s, one 49 sony x900f and I owned for about a year the Samsung q9 that Gregg Loewen isf calibrated and I have a C8 and c7 oled.

Of all of those tvs, the x930e and the oled have the least amount of dse and no vertical banding (both oleds have it on low level grey/black screens but other content dont show it).

I was really hoping the q90r would fix the dse that impacted the other fald samsung qleds but it appears that may not be the case. It has really low lag and would work on my gravity stand I have from samsung. I am also surprised they are shipping AUO optic panels from the outset for 65inch ones. My q9 has a FA03 which is a Samsung panel and there is definately a difference there.

I am now thinking the z9f would be best for dedicated large screen gaming as they factory calibrate the uniformity before shipping which is why the z9f has such exceptional uniformity. At first I thought the z9f was horrible due to blooming when I saw it at Magnolia but once I asked for the remote and took it out of vivid mode and put it in cinema mode, the blacks looked VERY good! Anyone liking the z9f for gaming?
I'm gaming quite a lot on my 75" ZF9 and it has the cleanest and most uniform screen of my previous Q9FN and Q900 which I returned. It upscales a bit differently in Game and Graphics mode by retaining the integrity of each pixel vs its Cinema mode and Samsung way as well where they interpolates between the pixels more. This makes sub 4k games look sharper on Sony than any Samsungs scaling I've seen, it's basically a great monitor. Then there is the issue of Chroma subsampling on Samsung, they only do 4:2:2 so the image and text looks even softer as a result while Sony does full 4:4:4 in Game/Graphics. Using my TV as a monitor it look much sharper and crisper than the Samsungs. The Input lag on ZF9 is 21ms which is great but it can only do 1080p 120hz and here Samsung is better with 1440p 120hz and lower input lag of 15ms which felt really good. Finally, Samsung only flicker the backlight at 120hz in all modes but Movie, this leads to image duplication in games when you move the camera around, at 60fps you will see the images as two super imposed on top of each other and at 30fps you'll see four images. Also high contrast edges flicker a lot more as well. Sony on the other hand, while using PWM as well, always flickers at 720hz, this in theory gives you image duplication as well, but you get so many duplicates they meld together in most cases. Only when you follow a fast moving thin white line ontop of a black back ground will you see a bunch of trailing lines. But on Samsung, when I move the mouse pointer in Windows and follow it with my eyes I see 2-3 of them, really distracting while gaming, these are the main reasons I went with Sony over Samsung. I Samsung could do proper Chroma 4:4:4 and better Backlight flicker, I would perhaps consider buying one of their new sets as I've come to love X-wide angle filter and will never go back to a TV without wide viewing angles. And blooming is only really an issue in difficult dark scene HDR with bright lights and often it's not a big deal. I love Sonys very fast and accurate dimming algorithm, the fact noting of the image is hidden/crushed due to aggressive dimming is very reassuring. This said I'm super happy Samsung is pushing LCD tech forward as OLED can't do bright HDR.
gimpygod likes this.
JoelArt is offline  
post #196 of 5261 Old 03-06-2019, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: WI
Posts: 2,873
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2325 Post(s)
Liked: 1130
This is the Samsung Q90R owner's thread - I, and others, don't care about your Sony Z9F.

Shopping List:
TV: Samsung Q90R, or LG C9, or Sony ...
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820, or Sony X800M, or Pioneer Elite LX500
Soundbar: Samsung Q90R, or Sennheiser Ambeo, or...
AVR and Speakers: Marantz 8012, or... and GE Triton Reference, or...
New24K is offline  
post #197 of 5261 Old 03-06-2019, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sd13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,703
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 1030
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
This is the Samsung Q90R owner's thread - I, and others, don't care about your Sony Z9F.
Some need reassurance that they made the right decision lol.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
egrady and New24K like this.
sd13 is online now  
post #198 of 5261 Old 03-06-2019, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Latinoheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 4,333
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked: 1446
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post

There is one owner over in the Q80R owner's thread - and he is very happy with his TV.
Haha ofcourse he is, he is upgrading from an ancient 13 year old tv.
Gillietalls likes this.

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii
Latinoheat is offline  
post #199 of 5261 Old 03-06-2019, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,028
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6409 Post(s)
Liked: 6404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Klimo View Post
No, I'm not going to try another Q90R--or any other Samsung unit for that matter. At least not for the foreseeable future. I feel like I've given them enough chances. And their customer service is so poor, that last year I ended up having to write directly to the office of the president to resolve my situation.

Maybe I'll give the LG C9 a try. I can usually live with some banding...but I'm just extremely sensitive to DSE. And if that doesn't work, maybe I'll just buy a middle of the road Sony (x950G, or hell, even the slightly disappointing Z9F) and call it a day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbar View Post
Very disappointing. DSE and banding can effect all tv models and technologies. But I was hoping maybe this one would set a new standard in that regard. Thank you for your quick report Mike.
Ah, man

It kinda like car's producing emissions. I think you will get banding and DSE to some degree no matter what you buy and it can not be avoided....It's just part of the technoligy
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #200 of 5261 Old 03-06-2019, 06:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Mikejl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 133
TV arrived around 4:30 PM. I put it on it's stand temporarily while I checked it out to see if I was going to keep it or not. I just finished setting it up and took these pictures.

I don't see any bad DSE myself so I'm going to keep this Q90R.

I'll be spending the next couple of hours getting the mounted and aligned in my TV Cabinet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Box.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	827.4 KB
ID:	2535494   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flash Reflection.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	465.4 KB
ID:	2535496   Click image for larger version

Name:	Disney WOW.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	813.4 KB
ID:	2535498   Click image for larger version

Name:	White.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	717.3 KB
ID:	2535500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Red.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	2535502  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	877.9 KB
ID:	2535504   Click image for larger version

Name:	Green.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	280.0 KB
ID:	2535506  

Samsung: QN65Q90RAFXZA 4K HDR TV * Panasonic: DP-UB820 4K HDR Blu Ray * Onkyo: TX-RZ920 A/V Receiver * M&K: S-150 THX Speakers & DIY: 15" Subwoofer w/ E.D. E15a.22 Driver & Rythmik Audio 380w AMP * URC: MX-990 Universal Remote & MRF 260 Base Station * Samsung: Galaxy S10 Plus
Mikejl is offline  
post #201 of 5261 Old 03-06-2019, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
Blackvette94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
I tried 3 aa01 and 2 fa02 and they all had heavy dse. You said you have an fa03. How's the dse on that compared to others you tried?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I should have clarified that my q9 was the 2017 variant which was edge lit but it had less dse that the prior versions of the q9 with the jailbar vertical bars but it still had uniformity issues like shown on the rtings review of it. Honestly Samsung tvs that I have used or own all have the worst uniformity issues plus that whole 120hz pwn which for motion is just atrocious.

I am going to Robert’s place soon ( Value Electronics) and I will compare the c9 and q90r. He will have both up this weekend and said he will put test screens up for me, my expectation is the uniformity on the q90r will not be improved over the last two years of the q9. I also expect the 120hz pwm in game mode still being there which is a shame. Samsung has by far the best anti glare and the best led panels ( if made by them) but they just don’t seem to value motion or uniformity.

So basically it was a tie between the 65 inch versions of the q90r, c9 or z9f. I will be bringing home one of them from Value Electronics for sure. I was leaning most to the q90r as Inwill be using the display for games only but if as the reports show that uniformity is not improved, I will be going with the c9 or z9f.
WOLVERNOLE likes this.

Last edited by Blackvette94; 03-06-2019 at 07:15 PM.
Blackvette94 is offline  
post #202 of 5261 Old 03-06-2019, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: WI
Posts: 2,873
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2325 Post(s)
Liked: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikejl View Post
TV arrived around 4:30 PM. I put it on it's stand temporarily while I checked it out to see if I was going to keep it or not. I just finished setting it up and took these pictures.

I don't see any bad DSE myself so I'm going to keep this Q90R.

I'll be spending the next couple of hours getting the mounted and aligned in my TV Cabinet.

Very nice!
Mikejl likes this.

Shopping List:
TV: Samsung Q90R, or LG C9, or Sony ...
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820, or Sony X800M, or Pioneer Elite LX500
Soundbar: Samsung Q90R, or Sennheiser Ambeo, or...
AVR and Speakers: Marantz 8012, or... and GE Triton Reference, or...
New24K is offline  
post #203 of 5261 Old 03-06-2019, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
Blackvette94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelArt View Post
I'm gaming quite a lot on my 75" ZF9 and it has the cleanest and most uniform screen of my previous Q9FN and Q900 which I returned. It upscales a bit differently in Game and Graphics mode by retaining the integrity of each pixel vs its Cinema mode and Samsung way as well where they interpolates between the pixels more. This makes sub 4k games look sharper on Sony than any Samsungs scaling I've seen, it's basically a great monitor. Then there is the issue of Chroma subsampling on Samsung, they only do 4:2:2 so the image and text looks even softer as a result while Sony does full 4:4:4 in Game/Graphics. Using my TV as a monitor it look much sharper and crisper than the Samsungs. The Input lag on ZF9 is 21ms which is great but it can only do 1080p 120hz and here Samsung is better with 1440p 120hz and lower input lag of 15ms which felt really good. Finally, Samsung only flicker the backlight at 120hz in all modes but Movie, this leads to image duplication in games when you move the camera around, at 60fps you will see the images as two super imposed on top of each other and at 30fps you'll see four images. Also high contrast edges flicker a lot more as well. Sony on the other hand, while using PWM as well, always flickers at 720hz, this in theory gives you image duplication as well, but you get so many duplicates they meld together in most cases. Only when you follow a fast moving thin white line ontop of a black back ground will you see a bunch of trailing lines. But on Samsung, when I move the mouse pointer in Windows and follow it with my eyes I see 2-3 of them, really distracting while gaming, these are the main reasons I went with Sony over Samsung. I Samsung could do proper Chroma 4:4:4 and better Backlight flicker, I would perhaps consider buying one of their new sets as I've come to love X-wide angle filter and will never go back to a TV without wide viewing angles. And blooming is only really an issue in difficult dark scene HDR with bright lights and often it's not a big deal. I love Sonys very fast and accurate dimming algorithm, the fact noting of the image is hidden/crushed due to aggressive dimming is very reassuring. This said I'm super happy Samsung is pushing LCD tech forward as OLED can't do bright HDR.
Thank you for the detailed response! Is the 65 and different over the 75? Or will the uniformity etc be about the same? I play most games right now on my x900f 49 and my only gripe with it is the semi gloss screen, I much prefer glossy like the samsung, z9f and oled.

I may just go with the z9f , we will see I hear the z9f has been discontinued so maybe prices will go down!
Blackvette94 is offline  
post #204 of 5261 Old 03-06-2019, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sd13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,703
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 1030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikejl View Post
TV arrived around 4:30 PM. I put it on it's stand temporarily while I checked it out to see if I was going to keep it or not. I just finished setting it up and took these pictures.



I don't see any bad DSE myself so I'm going to keep this Q90R.



I'll be spending the next couple of hours getting the mounted and aligned in my TV Cabinet.
This blue picture has me hopefull. Same color slide on my q9fn shows notorious level of dse but yours looks fine.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Mikejl likes this.
sd13 is online now  
post #205 of 5261 Old 03-06-2019, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
Blackvette94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikejl View Post
TV arrived around 4:30 PM. I put it on it's stand temporarily while I checked it out to see if I was going to keep it or not. I just finished setting it up and took these pictures.

I don't see any bad DSE myself so I'm going to keep this Q90R.

I'll be spending the next couple of hours getting the mounted and aligned in my TV Cabinet.
What panel did you get? It says it on the box, labeled version and has two letter then two numbers.
Blackvette94 is offline  
post #206 of 5261 Old 03-06-2019, 07:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikejl View Post
TV arrived around 4:30 PM. I put it on it's stand temporarily while I checked it out to see if I was going to keep it or not. I just finished setting it up and took these pictures.

I don't see any bad DSE myself so I'm going to keep this Q90R.

I'll be spending the next couple of hours getting the mounted and aligned in my TV Cabinet.
Yeah your panel looks absolutely pristine. I'd buy your set for more than what you paid for it lmfao, I'm not even joking.
Mikejl likes this.
thisbryanguy001 is offline  
post #207 of 5261 Old 03-06-2019, 07:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cleveland,Ohio
Posts: 7,042
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2987 Post(s)
Liked: 2826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikejl View Post
TV arrived around 4:30 PM. I put it on it's stand temporarily while I checked it out to see if I was going to keep it or not. I just finished setting it up and took these pictures.

I don't see any bad DSE myself so I'm going to keep this Q90R.

I'll be spending the next couple of hours getting the mounted and aligned in my TV Cabinet.
Uniformity Looks really good, Enjoy.
Mikejl likes this.
losservatore is offline  
post #208 of 5261 Old 03-06-2019, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
Blackvette94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisbryanguy001 View Post
Yeah your panel looks absolutely pristine. I'd buy your set for more than what you paid for it lmfao, I'm not even joking.
Would be best to see some grey screens or a video of hockey to know about dse, these full screen color screens just show there is minimal/no vertical banding on his set which is encouraging
Blackvette94 is offline  
post #209 of 5261 Old 03-06-2019, 09:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Mikejl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackvette94 View Post
What panel did you get? It says it on the box, labeled version and has two letter then two numbers.
Version: AA01

Samsung: QN65Q90RAFXZA 4K HDR TV * Panasonic: DP-UB820 4K HDR Blu Ray * Onkyo: TX-RZ920 A/V Receiver * M&K: S-150 THX Speakers & DIY: 15" Subwoofer w/ E.D. E15a.22 Driver & Rythmik Audio 380w AMP * URC: MX-990 Universal Remote & MRF 260 Base Station * Samsung: Galaxy S10 Plus
Mikejl is offline  
post #210 of 5261 Old 03-06-2019, 09:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sd13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,703
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 1030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackvette94 View Post
Would be best to see some grey screens or a video of hockey to know about dse, these full screen color screens just show there is minimal/no vertical banding on his set which is encouraging
^^^this

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
sd13 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off