2019 Samsung Q90R Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 75 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4061Likes

post #2221 of 5226 Old 04-06-2019, 09:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoosh830 View Post
I agree completely about nitpicking. However, it's what I (and a lot of others here) do before dropping this kind of money on a TV.
I know, I did it for years. I probably spent more time calibrating TVs over the last 15 or so years than many people spend watching them I have a high risk tolerance for this stuff though and have no problem flipping a recent purchase if I'm not happy.
Swoosh830 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2222 of 5226 Old 04-07-2019, 05:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdkind View Post
I know, I did it for years. I probably spent more time calibrating TVs over the last 15 or so years than many people spend watching them I have a high risk tolerance for this stuff though and have no problem flipping a recent purchase if I'm not happy.
Do you just sell your tv’s?? One issue I have is what to do with tv’s if I want a new one in 1-2 years..... I mean do I just put 75” tv’s on Craig’s list for $2000??? Seems unlikely that it would get many bites. I wish we could trade them in.
post #2223 of 5226 Old 04-07-2019, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonz5000 View Post
Do you just sell your tv’s?? One issue I have is what to do with tv’s if I want a new one in 1-2 years..... I mean do I just put 75” tv’s on Craig’s list for $2000??? Seems unlikely that it would get many bites. I wish we could trade them in.
Samsung has an upgrade program if you purchase the TV on their finance. You get a credit towards a new TV based on which one you previously purchased and, from reports, you also keep the old TV.

This is one of the reasons that for my 2019 TV purchase dollars the Q90R is still in the running.

It might not be perfect and might be missing some features I really want, but if I can upgrade to an even better FALD QLED or micro-LED in a couple of years time then I don't have to worry about trying to sell the old TV on the secondary market. The old TV can be basically gifted to someone or used in another room of the house (not sure though I have another room to stuff a monster 75" set in).

Used TVs are worth very, very little.

The 60" 8 year old 65" Panasonic Plasma I have is worth, at best $400 now and I paid $3500 for it originally (and that was a heavily discounted price).... my 12 year old Sony SXRD is basically a free haul-away item now.

The best time to dump your used TV honestly is 12 months later when the same model is still available discounted. You can potentially get 35-45% of what it was worth full new MSRP at best. Every year after that the value continues to go in the toilet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2224 of 5226 Old 04-07-2019, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Been playing around alot with game mode. Was playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider in HDR and compared to my Z9D I noticed the game is extremely dim even in bright outside scenes. I usually don't use contrast enhancers but for game mode HDR it is a must for certain games. I turned contrast enhancer to high and turned contrast down 3 clicks to bring the highlight detail back. Now, another thing I noticed is "Game Enhancer" is it's own separate mode. When you turn it on it good to it's own settings and turns contrast enhancer on. So basically you shouldn't ever need to use "Game Enhancer", just turn contrast enhancer on in your settings instead so all your other settings stay the same. I'm going to try contrast enhancer for SDR as well because I noticed yesterday while playing that shadow detail was horrible in games. I guess games are just graded differently because I would never use contrast enhancer for anything other than games. As far as dynamic black equalizer it looks like I would never use that, it completely washes out the image.

Last edited by Slickman; 04-07-2019 at 07:37 AM.
post #2225 of 5226 Old 04-07-2019, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here's some pics to illustrate the difference a bit. The overall contrast stays the same for contrast enhancer low and goes down 3 clicks for conrast enhancer high. I kept camera iso the same to try and get them close to what I was seeing. Looks better in real life of course.

Contrast Enhancer Off

Contrast Enhancer Low

Contrast Enhancer High

samovies10 likes this.

Last edited by Slickman; 04-07-2019 at 07:37 AM.
post #2226 of 5226 Old 04-07-2019, 07:42 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6403 Post(s)
Liked: 6397
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdkind View Post

My only regret is not going with the 75" I'll upgrade next year though and put this in my den as a dedicated gaming display.
Yes Yes, the bigger the better
Terminader likes this.
post #2227 of 5226 Old 04-07-2019, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've found the perfect medium for game mode(in my opinion of course). Contrast Enhancer High was a bit too bright and Low looked good but wasn't quite bright enough. The perfect setting to my eyes for game mode HDR is contrast enhancer high BUT with overall gamma brought down 1 click to -1. My full game mode HDR settings are below.

Backlight 50
Brightness 0
Contrast 46
Sharpness 2(Personal Preference)
Color 22
Tint 0
Local Dimming Standard
Contrast Enhancer High
Color Tone Warm2
Gamma ST.2084 -1
Color Space Native

Last edited by Slickman; 04-07-2019 at 12:18 PM.
post #2228 of 5226 Old 04-07-2019, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 29
What settings are you guys using for cable TV? I upgraded to the new Fios box but I find that the picture is still very grainy/blurry, especially in darker scenes and faces.

(I did fix the previous issue with the TV detecting the new box as an HDR source with a reset.)
post #2229 of 5226 Old 04-07-2019, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Park View Post
Make it three, accidentally hit ambient mode button, same problems as you and had to factory reset. Hope Samsung fixes this soon.
For those who do not use Ambient mode and would like to disable it, here is what I posted in the Q80 thread.

So I just went into the service menu and disabled ambient screen support and it worked. If you press the home button on the remote, ambient mode is no longer an option. Pressing the ambient mode button on the remote doesnt bring up ambient mode anymore either. For those who don't use it and would like to disable it, you need an older remote with numbered buttons. Turn the TV off. Press mute+1+8+2+power. May need to do this a couple of times. Once the service menu comes up, select Options, then MRT options, then scroll all the way to the right. Select Ambient Screen Support the use the right directional button to turn off. Power off the TV then back on and it should now be disabled.

Please note that my picture settings were reset after leaving the service menu so you should note what your current settings are.
South Park and bjorktribe like this.

Last edited by Bruc3L3r0y; 04-07-2019 at 11:50 AM.
post #2230 of 5226 Old 04-07-2019, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I had the issue with game mode no longer being HDR after messing around with youtube. I also encountered the ambient mode bug too. Needless to say I'm not going to use the tv apps anymore.
post #2231 of 5226 Old 04-07-2019, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 1614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruc3L3r0y View Post
For those who do not use Ambient mode and would like to disable it, here is what I posted in the Q80 thread.

So I just went into the service menu and disabled ambient screen support and it worked. If you press the home button on the remote, ambient mode is no longer an option. Pressing the ambient mode button on the remote doesnt bring up ambient mode anymore either. For those who don't use it and would like to disable it, you need an older remote with numbered buttons. Turn the TV off. Press mute+1+8+2+power. May need to do this a couple of times. Once the service menu comes up, select Options, then MRT options, then scroll all the way to the right. Select Ambient Screen Support the use the right directional button to turn off. Power off the TV then back on and it should now be disabled.
Thanks for the info.

I use Ambient Mode on a regular basis and have had zero issues. So it doesn't seem to be a consistent issue for everyone. I love the feature!

2019 82" Q90R, 2016 55" and 65" KS8000, Denon S720 AVR
post #2232 of 5226 Old 04-07-2019, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminader View Post
Thanks for the info.

I use Ambient Mode on a regular basis and have had zero issues. So it doesn't seem to be a consistent issue for everyone. I love the feature!

Yea it's weird. When I first got the TV, I went into Ambient mode just to see what kind of options were available and did not have a problem with brightness after coming out of it.
post #2233 of 5226 Old 04-07-2019, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I just connected my xbox one today and run it to the OCB box and then out to my Denon receiver so I can get Game Mode. However, when I use bitstream for the audio option, I get about a 1 second delay in the audio. If I use stereo, there is no delay. And that isn't terrible as my receiver will simulate surround with Neural X. But is anyone else having an issue with audio delay over bitstream?

Speakers: Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-290, ADP 190's, Sub: Outlaw LFM-1 EX, Receiver: Denon AVR-X4500H, Televisions: Samsung QN75Q90RAFXZA, Sony XBR-49X900E, Blu-ray Player: Panasonic - DP-UB820, Region Free Blu-ray Player: Oppo 103D
post #2234 of 5226 Old 04-07-2019, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmup View Post
I just connected my xbox one today and run it to the OCB box and then out to my Denon receiver so I can get Game Mode. However, when I use bitstream for the audio option, I get about a 1 second delay in the audio. If I use stereo, there is no delay. And that isn't terrible as my receiver will simulate surround with Neural X. But is anyone else having an issue with audio delay over bitstream?
I don't have the Q90R (yet) but have the Q9FN 75" and I have the same issue. I currently have 2 HDMI cables near the back of the Xbox One X. Since I love the Atmos that many games have, most of the time I run my system through the receiver then to the TV so I can use my Atmos, but certain games do run better in VRR/Freesync, for those I switch the HDMI cable and send the Xbox direct to the One Connect Box to use VRR/Freesync. I lose out on my 7.2.2 Atmos setup doing this, but I get the advantages of the VRR/Freesync capabilities of the TV. That is why eArc is very important to me because if the Q90R had eArc I could run the Xbox direct to the One Connect to use all the game features fully and still get the Atmos support due to eArc. There are many games that use Atmos really well and VRR/Freesync. So I have to flip a coin when playing those games...do I go for the better performance of VRR/Freesync or better Audio with Atmos. Can't have both without eArc.
marmup and fonz5000 like this.

-Hawkmoon
post #2235 of 5226 Old 04-07-2019, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I wish they could just push firmware updates to our receivers so they could pass the ALLM and VRR signals through. Looks like that isn't going to happen so we need eARC. Right now I just have everything going through my receiver so I can get Atmos and no audio delay.
post #2236 of 5226 Old 04-07-2019, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post
I had the issue with game mode no longer being HDR after messing around with youtube. I also encountered the ambient mode bug too. Needless to say I'm not going to use the tv apps anymore.
Can the contrast enhancer used outside of game mode e.g. Natural, Standard, Movie?
post #2237 of 5226 Old 04-07-2019, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I may have found a solution for my ARC problem with Online Apps. It's been working for almost 24 hrs now and before it wouldn't get audio out to my receiver for more than an hour. In the last week or so it would drop audio in less than a minute.

Yesterday I was messing around with the Ambient mode and decided to do a factory reset after I exited. I've done several factory resets over the last few weeks so this wasn't a big deal. My receiver always gets automatically detected and shows up in the Sound Menu so I never did anything more to get it setup.

This time, even though the receiver was already detected, I decided to run the Connection Guide from the Source menu. I selected Audio Device and HDMI(ARC) and let it search and connect. I haven't lost audio though the receiver since.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this fix is permanent. Only time will tell.

Edit 4/8/19: Started losing ARC audio from online apps again last night. I think I'll have to pin hopes of a permanent fix on a future firmware update.

Samsung: QN65Q90RAFXZA 4K HDR TV * Panasonic: DP-UB820 4K HDR Blu Ray * Onkyo: TX-RZ920 A/V Receiver * M&K: S-150 THX Speakers & DIY: 15" Subwoofer w/ E.D. E15a.22 Driver & Rythmik Audio 380w AMP * URC: MX-990 Universal Remote & MRF 260 Base Station * Samsung: Galaxy S10 Plus

Last edited by Mikejl; 04-08-2019 at 05:14 AM.
post #2238 of 5226 Old 04-07-2019, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_to_4K View Post
Can the contrast enhancer used outside of game mode e.g. Natural, Standard, Movie?
Yes it can be used outside of game mode. I may use it for game mode SDR as well but I haven't had time to mess with it yet. I know for sure you can use it for movie and standard mode, not sure about the other 2 but I can check. I tried to replicate the same type of picture that contrast enhancer gives by adjusting gamma and brightness but I still preferred the look with contrast enhancer on.
post #2239 of 5226 Old 04-07-2019, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Yes it can be used outside of game mode. I may use it for game mode SDR as well but I haven't had time to mess with it yet. I know for sure you can use it for movie and standard mode, not sure about the other 2 but I can check. I tried to replicate the same type of picture that contrast enhancer gives by adjusting gamma and brightness but I still preferred the look with contrast enhancer on.
Thank you. Please try other modes and let me know. The contrast enhancer looks like a great tool to have. Do we have to adjust gamma if using contrast enhancer or using contrast enhancer is sufficient?
post #2240 of 5226 Old 04-07-2019, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_to_4K View Post
Thank you. Please try other modes and let me know. The contrast enhancer looks like a great tool to have. Do we have to adjust gamma if using contrast enhancer or using contrast enhancer is sufficient?
It's personal preference really. I liked contrast enhancer on high more than low but high with a gamma adjustment down 1 click looked perfect to me.
post #2241 of 5226 Old 04-07-2019, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 1614
I had a small audio delay on my DirecTV feed using my Denon S720 AVR. At some point after connecting this TV to my DirecTV C61K, the DirecTV STB defaulted to Standard Audio instead of Dolby. That, combined with the TV audio delay defaulting to 100 was causing the problem.

It is all better now that I changed the DirecTV STB to Dolby Audio as default and the Q90R audio delay to 0. No changes were needed on the AVR.

post #2242 of 5226 Old 04-07-2019, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmup View Post
i use optical from xbox to receiver and can bitstream dd o r dts 5.1 and use my receiver to upmix to 7.1.4. Its decent work around until either xbox updates to send atmos over dd+ or samsung enables earc....hopefully one happens but im not holding my breathe
post #2243 of 5226 Old 04-07-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wheaton View Post
i use optical from xbox to receiver and can bitstream dd o r dts 5.1 and use my receiver to upmix to 7.1.4. Its decent work around until either xbox updates to send atmos over dd+ or samsung enables earc....hopefully one happens but im not holding my breathe
Samsung have confirmed no eARC in this TV now or in the future.
post #2244 of 5226 Old 04-07-2019, 09:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
Quote:
It's personal preference really. I liked contrast enhancer on high more than low but high with a gamma adjustment down 1 click looked perfect to me.
For Hdr do you use contrast enhancer?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #2245 of 5226 Old 04-08-2019, 03:44 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wheaton View Post
Samsung have confirmed no eARC in this TV now or in the future.
What's your source for that?

Are you referring to the article that quoted Cohen saying that eARC is not needed because of the streaming apps?
post #2246 of 5226 Old 04-08-2019, 03:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
For Hdr do you use contrast enhancer?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
HDR game mode yes, I haven't had a chance to try it for other modes but I don't think the other modes need it. Games in HDR were too dim and since HDR already maxes backlight that's where contrast enhancer comes in. 😃 I posted my HDR game mode settings. "Game Enhancer" is just a seperate mode with it's own picture settings(that stick btw) with contrast enhancer on. I used this to my advantage to compare settings. For instance like I said to me contrast enhancer high was too bright and low not bright enough so I used the "Game Enhancer" button to compare Contrast Enhancer low with gamma up 1 click vs Contrast Enhancer high with gamma down 1 click which was incredibly close btw but there was a difference.
post #2247 of 5226 Old 04-08-2019, 03:54 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 5
@Slickman

Would you be able to post any movie settings for SDR and HDR please?
post #2248 of 5226 Old 04-08-2019, 04:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elavarasan View Post
@Slickman

Would you be able to post any movie settings for SDR and HDR please?
I posted SDR mode settings before. I can post HDR settings here shortly. I'm going to try Contrast Enhancer on all settings and see if they can be improved or not. I noticed for Comcast cable tv I like color down a click or two from the settings I posted. Cable seems oversaturated to me.
post #2249 of 5226 Old 04-08-2019, 04:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Trying Contrast Enhancer with other modes. I can already tell Contrast Enhancer Low with regular SDR is a godsend! My biggest complaint with SDR was red is waay oversaturated, CE on low fixes this problem and didn't seem to introduce any other problems like clipping, etc.(Had to move contrast down 1 click) On high it brings the reds back up again, kind of weird. CE low for whatever reason changes the color balance to reduce red significantly, and it needed it.
Nicholas Webb likes this.

Last edited by Slickman; 04-08-2019 at 06:16 AM.
post #2250 of 5226 Old 04-08-2019, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Graham View Post
What's your source for that?

Are you referring to the article that quoted Cohen saying that eARC is not needed because of the streaming apps?
Yes, Cohen is the senior manager for product training and makes it pretty clear to me at least that this feature is not showing up for 2019 which is quite unfortunate, especially as Samsung has products at the other end of the connection chain (soundbar, etc.) that would benefit from it and do have the feature enabled;

Quote:
The Q60, Q70, Q80, Q90 and Q900 series boost frame rates to 120fps for 2K and 2.5K content, and the Q90 and 8K Q900 series boosts 4K frame rates to 120fps. The 8K series also supports 8K at 60fps through its HDMI inputs.

The Samsung TVs, however, don’t support HDMI 2.1’s eARC (enhanced Audio Return Channel). In Samsung’s estimation, eARC isn’t needed because smart-TV streaming services are delivering immersive Dolby Atmos metadata via Dolby Digital Plus soundtracks, Cohen said.

These soundtracks pass through a TV’s standard ARC output to ARC-equipped AVRs and sound bars.

That’s adequate for most Samsung customers interested in immersive sound, he said
Apparently those who plunk down great big coinage for Samsung's top end TVs need to settle for 'adequate'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page