2019 Samsung Q90R Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 77 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4730Likes

post #2281 of 6721 Old 04-08-2019, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by crono311 View Post
All of these are reasons why judgment of this set needs to be set aside until the more reputable sources review the lineup. To the eye, lots of things look great. Then you measure it, and eventually put the sets side by side - that's when the differences become most apparent.

Lots of people are loving on the Q90R - I get it, it's their new purchase, and it does some things right that the last year's model didn't. However, the 2019 lineup, so far, isn't exactly proving itself to be superior to 2018 in every way as the more in depth reviews come in. It is looking to be just different - maybe in ways that whets some peoples appetites, but others may be better off grabbing a 2018 set while they are still super cheap and available.

After Rtings' reviews of the 60 and 900, the 90 review from either them or Vincent can't come soon enough.
Most early reviewers stated that standard mode is more accurate than Movie mode. I'm no video guru, so what do I know about measurements.. What I do know is that I watch TV with my eyes and to me, Q90R is better than my Q9FN in every area. I'm not just supporting my purchase. I could have easily returned the unit and grabbed another Q9FN. I think we consumers are giving way more of our power over to "professional reviewers".. What ever happened to testing something for yourself and grabbing what looks good to you? Most owners here were pleasantly surprised by the Q90R, myself included. I have and will continue to recommend any potential buyers to throw out ALL reviews (including mine) - go see the TV for yourself.
Mikejl, bslep, sd13 and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2282 of 6721 Old 04-08-2019, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Graham View Post
Ok cool. So they didn't actually say any of the things you said. I was worried.

Senior Manager for Product Training sounds like a fluffy name for marketing guy who demonstrates the TV to people. It's unlikely he know much about the actual technology or can speak to future upgrades, at least until he given a script to read.

That said, I wasn't thrilled with the statement either. My guess, it was a poor attempt to reduce the negative impact of the tvs not currently having earc, but nothing towards future intentions.

Question for, Q9fn owners here... How long before the update did you know that the tvs would get Vrr and ALLM?
If they add eARC that's great, but it just doesn't seem likely at this point. Certainly I wouldn't make a purchase decision assuming they will deliver that feature eventually.
Terminader likes this.
post #2283 of 6721 Old 04-08-2019, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Can I just remind everyone they haven’t even reviewed the Q90 yet... there’s no reason to think it’s going to suck based off the Q60 review lol. The Q9 got great brightness results from them last year, the more logical possibility is Samsung wanted to make as much money as they can off the entry level Q60 because uneducated buyers will buy it for the “QLED” title.
Mikejl and Terminader like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2284 of 6721 Old 04-08-2019, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:

Senior Manager for Product Training sounds like a fluffy name for marketing guy who demonstrates the TV to people. It's unlikely he know much about the actual technology or can speak to future upgrades, at least until he given a script to read.

That said, I wasn't thrilled with the statement either. My guess, it was a poor attempt to reduce the negative impact of the tvs not currently having earc, but nothing towards future intentions.

Question for, Q9fn owners here... How long before the update did you know that the tvs would get Vrr and ALLM?
I think you are underestimating the veracity of this news from Samsung that they will not support eARC in 2019. This is not some random marketing guy speaking off the cuff. Samsung called a press event at their Quality Assurance Labs in Pine Brook, N.J., and it was at this event that Samsung announced their support of a number of HDMI 2.1 features in their 2019 TVs, and also very specifically and deliberately announced that they would not be supporting eARC in 2019. They also provided their (shaky) rationale for not supporting eARC. Very unlikely that they will change their minds at this point and support eARC in 2019.

https://www.cepro.com/article/samsun...k_8k_tv_lineup
https://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-ql...reens-in-2019/
https://hdguru.com/hdmi-2-1-features...tvs-clarified/

There are stories you might have read speculating about Samsung planning to support eARC in a firmware update. These stories predate the news from Samsung at the end of March. The March press event pretty much laid that speculation to rest.
post #2285 of 6721 Old 04-08-2019, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Q90R... No Dolby Vision... so no TV purchase yet

Hi all
I have been hanging around this forum for some time now.

I would really like to purchase a 82" Q90R, but the lack of Dolby Vision Really bothers me. With Dolby's name recognition, I think it will become more prominent inHDR as time goes by (despite manufacturers having to pay Dolby a fee). I know that Samsung, among a few others, is pushing HDR10+, but just as in audio the name "Dolby" will always be most important (as in example of DTS).

Question. Doesn't the fact that Samsung doesn't (and apparently won't) support Dolby Vision as an option in their TVs just Bug the Heck out you who are considering a Samsung?? Apparently it bothers me, and is keeping me from purchasing a TV Now.

I'm coming from a Pioneer 60" 600M (which thankfully still looks great to me), but I want a much bigger TV this time around. I've considered the LG 77" OLED, but it is just to expense for me.
Thus far I haven't wanted a LCD, at all. But the new Samsung Q90R QLEDs seem to be really good (and the only LCD I'd consider), seems a pretty good alternative to OLED, and I can afford the 82".

In the meantime I've added a Denon x4300h receiver, installed four Atmos speakers in my ceiling, and purchased a Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD Blu-ray player (really like the way it down-converts the 4k videos to my existing 1080P Pioneer, but still plays the Atmos soundtracks from my growing 4K disc collection). Now I just need a new TV.

Obviously the purchase of the 600M long ago future proofed me for many years, and that is what I want again.

So, here I sit just hanging around this forum...
post #2286 of 6721 Old 04-08-2019, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobaphx View Post
Hi all
I have been hanging around this forum for some time now.

I would really like to purchase a 82" Q90R, but the lack of Dolby Vision Really bothers me. With Dolby's name recognition, I think it will become more prominent inHDR as time goes by (despite manufacturers having to pay Dolby a fee). I know that Samsung, among a few others, is pushing HDR10+, but just as in audio the name "Dolby" will always be most important (as in example of DTS).

Question. Doesn't the fact that Samsung doesn't (and apparently won't) support Dolby Vision as an option in their TVs just Bug the Heck out you who are considering a Samsung?? Apparently it bothers me, and is keeping me from purchasing a TV Now.
It bothered me for a while until I realized that Dolby Vision (and other dynamic formats) condense the dynamic range of sources to make them fit in the limited range of TV light output. This TV has great dynamic range, though admittedly according to my eyes and not tools, and I can't imagine DV would make a great difference.

Also regarding future proofing, maybe skip a generation until it has official HDMI 2.1 support. An OLED is hardly a future proofing purchase because its peak brightness will inevitably deteriorate over time whether or not you get burn in.
post #2287 of 6721 Old 04-08-2019, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Now that I got the set all dialed in wow this is the best set I've ever owned by a good margin. It has the best blacks and brightest highlights, even over the Z9D. It's the cleanest FALD set I've ever seen as far as screen uniformity. Colors are about 80% there, a calibration could make them better. The only negative picture quality wise is blooming but it's not that bad and to be expected.
post #2288 of 6721 Old 04-08-2019, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post
Now that I got the set all dialed in wow this is the best set I've ever owned by a good margin. It has the best blacks and brightest highlights, even over the Z9D. It's the cleanest FALD set I've ever seen as far as screen uniformity. Colors are about 80% there, a calibration could make them better. The only negative picture quality wise is blooming but it's not that bad and to be expected.
Would you care to post your individual settings in one post? Sdr, hdr, and gaming?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Nicholas Webb; 04-08-2019 at 05:49 PM.
post #2289 of 6721 Old 04-08-2019, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Does not sound normal, however if you like your panel you may want to think about swapping it, you could end up with something worse.....
I sat down tonight feeling excited to try out the new Criterion Channel, but I was disappointed when I fired up their noir collection (starting with My Name Is Julia Ross) and the two blue stripes were all I could see on top of an otherwise perfect black and white image.

It might be a risk to gamble on another panel, but I know this will bug me for as long as I own this display, so I've initiated a return. I'm sure it'll take several weeks at least to return this set, wait for the credit, then order and receive another one, so that's a bummer, but it's better than being unhappy with a major purchase.

The silver lining is that I could use this opportunity to upgrade to the 75"
Mikejl and Terminader like this.
post #2290 of 6721 Old 04-08-2019, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by QledBeta View Post
Most early reviewers stated that standard mode is more accurate than Movie mode. I'm no video guru, so what do I know about measurements.. What I do know is that I watch TV with my eyes and to me, Q90R is better than my Q9FN in every area. I'm not just supporting my purchase. I could have easily returned the unit and grabbed another Q9FN. I think we consumers are giving way more of our power over to "professional reviewers".. What ever happened to testing something for yourself and grabbing what looks good to you? Most owners here were pleasantly surprised by the Q90R, myself included. I have and will continue to recommend any potential buyers to throw out ALL reviews (including mine) - go see the TV for yourself.
I have not seen this at all. Some reviewers preferred the extra punch of the Standard mode, but I don’t recall any review saying it was more accurate than Movie mode.

That said, I do agree that users should trust their own eyes first. If you are happy with the set, then that’s all that really matters.

What I don’t agree with is this crusade that a few here appear to be on, trying to discredit one of the only decent review sites that actually backs up what they say with an extensive list of measurements. You don’t have to agree with anything Rtings say, that is your prerogative, but you look extremely desperate and foolish when you try to discredit their findings with nothing more than your biased opinions to back you up. Why such a desperate need for approval anyway? Just go and enjoy your set...sheesh!
Terminader likes this.

Samsung 82” Q90R * LG 55” C8 * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro

Last edited by BRAC; 04-08-2019 at 05:39 PM.
post #2291 of 6721 Old 04-08-2019, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Webb View Post
Would you care to post your individual settings in on post? Sdr, hdr, and gaming?

Yes, I'm not home at the moment but I should be home in about an hour.
Terminader and Nicholas Webb like this.
post #2292 of 6721 Old 04-08-2019, 05:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1179 Post(s)
Liked: 1099
Quote:
Pay no mind to the trolls who are obsessed and spend the majority of their time on this forum on this thread.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Terminader likes this.
post #2293 of 6721 Old 04-08-2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post
I have not seen this at all. Some reviewers preferred the extra punch of the Standard mode, but I don’t recall any review saying it was more accurate than Movie mode.

That said, I do agree that users should trust their own eyes first. If you are happy with the set, then that’s all that really matters.

What I don’t agree with is this crusade that a few here appear to be on, trying to discredit one of the only decent review sites that actually backs up what they say with an extensive list of measurements. You don’t have to agree with anything Rtings say, that is your prerogative, but you look extremely desperate and foolish when you try to discredit their findings with nothing more than your biased opinions to back you up. Why such a desperate need for approval anyway? Just go and enjoy your set...sheesh!
Would you also say its desperate for a few people who dont own the TV to try and discredit it with nothing to back it up? This is an owners forum and those of us who own the set are trying to provide honest feedback to potential buyers.. Its disheartening to see all of the misinformation being spread in this forum. Some of the statements are presented as fact based on reviews of other TVs. It is really sad. It is also sad that folks are not reading the complete early reviews - yes, overall they were positive. However, those reviewers absolutely pointed out the flaws (and I agree with them). So yes, I will enjoy my set, but I come here for advice on settings and to get the latest news for the TV I own (in this owners forum), instead I see a ton of posts where folks are talking about how they are purchasing an LG or Sony. I like LG and Sony, no issue here but why post in this owners forum, post in LG or Sony. Seems like folks are on a mission to spread misinformation.. not sure why?
sd13 and Keithian like this.
post #2294 of 6721 Old 04-08-2019, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
Quote:

I think you are underestimating the veracity of this news from Samsung that they will not support eARC in 2019. This is not some random marketing guy speaking off the cuff. Samsung called a press event at their Quality Assurance Labs in Pine Brook, N.J., and it was at this event that Samsung announced their support of a number of HDMI 2.1 features in their 2019 TVs, and also very specifically and deliberately announced that they would not be supporting eARC in 2019. They also provided their (shaky) rationale for not supporting eARC. Very unlikely that they will change their minds at this point and support eARC in 2019.

https://www.cepro.com/article/samsun...k_8k_tv_lineup
https://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-ql...reens-in-2019/
https://hdguru.com/hdmi-2-1-features...tvs-clarified/

There are stories you might have read speculating about Samsung planning to support eARC in a firmware update. These stories predate the news from Samsung at the end of March. The March press event pretty much laid that speculation to rest.
I agree the outlook is questionable and that a purchase with the expectation is foolish.

But Samsung has not actually said they won't or even that they don't plan to. One nonsignificant (or marginally significant) person gave a reason why it isn't supported. Save for the hdguru article which seems to imply that Samsung did affirmatively say no, but the questionable (lack of) use of quotes leads me to think it's their commentary

Adding extra commentary and pretending its Samsung is not helpful. Sadly Samsung is still playing it a bit coy.
Terminader likes this.

Last edited by Donald Graham; 04-08-2019 at 06:32 PM.
post #2295 of 6721 Old 04-08-2019, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Would you also say its desperate for a few people who dont own the TV to try and discredit it with nothing to back it up? This is an owners forum and those of us who own the set are trying to provide honest feedback to potential buyers.. Its disheartening to see all of the misinformation being spread in this forum. Some of the statements are presented as fact based on reviews of other TVs. It is really sad. It is also sad that folks are not reading the complete early reviews - yes, overall they were positive. However, those reviewers absolutely pointed out the flaws (and I agree with them). So yes, I will enjoy my set, but I come here for advice on settings and to get the latest news for the TV I own (in this owners forum), instead I see a ton of posts where folks are talking about how they are purchasing an LG or Sony. I like LG and Sony, no issue here but why post in this owners forum, post in LG or Sony. Seems like folks are on a mission to spread misinformation.. not sure why?
The only 'owner' who has been trying to discredit anything the past week is a Q90R owner trying to discredit a Q900RB review (tooth and nail)
post #2296 of 6721 Old 04-08-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithras1 View Post
The only 'owner' who has been trying to discredit anything the past week is a Q90R owner trying to discredit a Q900RB review (tooth and nail)
Go back and read from the beginning of this thread. People have been suggesting that owners are lying about the performance in an attempt to validate the purchase.. that's nonsense. I just find it odd that folks who clearly don't like LCD TVs are hanging around in this forum trashing the TV.. what gives? Anyhow, maybe its me as I am a newbie on this forum. Maybe this is what is expected.. sort of like fights at a hockey game

I'll just skip over those irrelevant comments and focus on what I came here for in the first place. Good luck to everyone on your TV purchases.
sd13, Terminader and South Park like this.
post #2297 of 6721 Old 04-08-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
I agree the outlook is questionable and that a purchase with the expectation is foolish.

But Samsung has not actually said they won't or even that they don't plan to. One nonsignificant (or marginally significant) person gave a reason why it isn't supported. Save for the hdguru article which seems to imply that Samsung did affirmatively say no, but the questionable (lack of) use of quotes leads me to think it's their commentary

Adding extra commentary and pretending its Samsung is not helpful. Sadly Samsung is still playing it a bit coy.
Wishful thinking. Let me recap - Samsung hosts a press conference at a Samsung facility at which a Samsung employee announces to the assembled press that their 2019 TVs will not support eARC. This is reported in multiple press accounts. Just for fun, here is another one:
https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...ive-sound-more

Money quote:
Quote:
No Samsung TVs, however, support eARC (enhanced Audio Return Channel) because smart-TV streaming services are delivering immersive Dolby Atmos metadata via Dolby Digital Plus soundtracks, Cohen said.
If you think an announcement at an planned press event is being coy, and want to hinge your hopes on the reporters' discretion not to use an exact quote, then I guess you will just believe what you want until the CEO of Samsung shows up at your front door to deliver the news to you personally.
post #2298 of 6721 Old 04-08-2019, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here's all my settings from my set.

SDR

Picture Mode Standard
Backlight 23
Brightness 0
Contrast 41
Sharpness 0
Color 23
Tint 0
Digital Clean and Automotion Off
Local Dimming Standard
Contrast Enhancer Low
Color Tone Warm2
BT.1886 -1
Color Space Native
White Balance
Red Gain 3
Green Gain 0
Blue Gain 5
Red Offset -1
Green Offset -1
Blue Offset 0

SDR Game Mode

Backlight 30
Brightness 0
Contrast 41
Sharpness 0
Color 23
Tint 0
Local Dimming High
Contrast Enhancer Low
Color Tone Warm2
BT.1886 0
Color Space Native
White Balance
Red Gain 3
Green Gain 0
Blue Gain 5
Red Offset -1
Green Offset -1
Blue Offset 0

HDR

Picture Mode Standard
Backlight 50
Brightness 0
Contrast 47
Sharpness 0
Color 20
Tint 0
Local Dimming Standard
Contrast Enhancer Low(Off for bright movies)
Color Tone Warm2
ST.2084 0
Color Space Native

HDR Game Mode

Backlight 50
Brightness 0
Contrast 47
Sharpness 0
Color 20
Tint 0
Local Dimming High
Contrast Enhancer Low
Color Tone Warm2
ST.2084 0
Color Space Native

Alternate HDR Game Mode

Under Settings> General> External Device Manager> Game Mode Settings turn Game Enhancer button on, and also Dynamic Black Equalizer to 1, after that go back and use all my HDR Game Mode settings above except turn Contrast Enhancer Off

Enjoy and let me know if you like(or hate) them.

Last edited by Slickman; 05-15-2019 at 12:25 PM.
post #2299 of 6721 Old 04-08-2019, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Go back and read from the beginning of this thread. People have been suggesting that owners are lying about the performance in an attempt to validate the purchase.. that's nonsense. I just find it odd that folks who clearly don't like LCD TVs are hanging around in this forum trashing the TV.. what gives? Anyhow, maybe its me as I am a newbie on this forum. Maybe this is what is expected.. sort of like fights at a hockey game

I'll just skip over those irrelevant comments and focus on what I came here for in the first place. Good luck to everyone on your TV purchases.
Agreed. They are here seeking attention to push their agenda. Just ignore them and never respond to them.

post #2300 of 6721 Old 04-08-2019, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

SDR

Picture Mode Standard

Backlight 23

Brightness 0

Contrast 40

Sharpness 2

Color 23

Tint 0

Local Dimming High

Contrast Enhancer Low

Color Tone Warm2

BT.1886 -1

Color Space Native

SDR Game Mode

Backlight 30

Brightness 0

Contrast 40

Sharpness 4

Color 23

Tint 0

Local Dimming High

Contrast Enhancer Low

Color Tone Warm2

BT.1886 0

Color Space Native

HDR

Picture Mode Standard

Backlight 50

Brightness 0

Contrast 45

Sharpness 2

Color 20

Tint 0

Local Dimming Standard

Contrast Enhancer Off

Color Tone Warm2

ST.2084 0

Color Space Native

HDR Game Mode

Backlight 50

Brightness 0

Contrast 46

Sharpness 4

Color 20

Tint 0

Local Dimming Standard

Contrast Enhancer High

Color Tone Warm2

ST.2084 0

Color Space Native

These seem like solid settings for the most part. Any reason why you have local dimming set to medium in Hdr? Doing so kills the highlights on mine.

post #2301 of 6721 Old 04-08-2019, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
Quote:

Wishful thinking. Let me recap - Samsung hosts a press conference at a Samsung facility at which a Samsung employee announces to the assembled press that their 2019 TVs will not support eARC. This is reported in multiple press accounts. Just for fun, here is another one:
https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...ive-sound-more

Money quote:
Quote:
No Samsung TVs, however, support eARC (enhanced Audio Return Channel) because smart-TV streaming services are delivering immersive Dolby Atmos metadata via Dolby Digital Plus soundtracks, Cohen said.
If you think an announcement at an planned press event is being coy, and want to hinge your hopes on the reporters' discretion not to use an exact quote, then I guess you will just believe what you want until the CEO of Samsung shows up at your front door to deliver the news to you personally.
Or I can just prefer to be accurate.

I will stick with the actual facts, tell people it looks unlikely with the reason that although Samsung hasn't expressly said no, they have played coy and provided responses that are not reinsuring.

You can stick to your interpretation of the facts, credit statements not actually made, and spread false information.
Lyner likes this.
post #2302 of 6721 Old 04-08-2019, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
These seem like solid settings for the most part. Any reason why you have local dimming set to medium in Hdr? Doing so kills the highlights on mine.

There was more than 1 occasion where a brightness fluctuation was fixed by going to standard instead of high so I stuck to standard. In SDR for whatever reason it was the opposite, half the brightness fluctuations were fixed by going to High. 🤷
post #2303 of 6721 Old 04-08-2019, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There was more than 1 occasion where a brightness fluctuation was fixed by going to standard instead of high so I stuck to standard. In SDR for whatever reason it was the opposite, half the brightness fluctuations were fixed by going to High.
Hmm i think either panel variance or differences between various sizes is coming into play here. Because i put my OLED side by side and even with bright Netflix subtitles i see zero fluctuations. They were very noticeable on the q9fn though.

post #2304 of 6721 Old 04-08-2019, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:

SDR

Picture Mode Standard

Backlight 23

Brightness 0

Contrast 40

Sharpness 2

Color 23

Tint 0

Local Dimming High

Contrast Enhancer Low

Color Tone Warm2

BT.1886 -1(0 for bright room)

Color Space Native

SDR Game Mode

Backlight 30

Brightness 0

Contrast 40

Sharpness 4

Color 23

Tint 0

Local Dimming High

Contrast Enhancer Low

Color Tone Warm2

BT.1886 0

Color Space Native

HDR

Picture Mode Standard

Backlight 50

Brightness 0

Contrast 45

Sharpness 2

Color 20

Tint 0

Local Dimming Standard

Contrast Enhancer Off

Color Tone Warm2

ST.2084 0

Color Space Native

HDR Game Mode

Backlight 50

Brightness 0

Contrast 46

Sharpness 4

Color 20

Tint 0

Local Dimming Standard

Contrast Enhancer High

Color Tone Warm2

ST.2084 0

Color Space Native

What are your game mode settings... Enhanced... Black level... Etc?

post #2305 of 6721 Old 04-08-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Or I can just prefer to be accurate.

I will stick with the actual facts, tell people it looks unlikely with the reason that although Samsung hasn't expressly said no, they have played coy and provided responses that are not reinsuring.

You can stick to your interpretation of the facts, credit statements not actually made, and spread false information.
Oh FFS, how is quoting news articles from AV publications spreading false information? I referenced four articles written by reporters who attended the Samsung press event, and all four stated in their articles that Samsung is not supporting eARC in their 2019 TVs. Info compiled below in one place from all four sources for the benefit of others interested in the topic. I think the interpretation is clear, but all are free to apply their own powers of interpretation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEPro
The Samsung TVs, however, don’t support HDMI 2.1’s eARC (enhanced Audio Return Channel). In Samsung’s estimation, eARC isn’t needed because smart-TV streaming services are delivering immersive Dolby Atmos metadata via Dolby Digital Plus soundtracks, Cohen said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGuru
According to Samsung spokesman Scott Cohen, eARC is not being supported in the company’s 2019 TVs because: “We are moving to a streaming world and the streaming sites are adding Dolby Atmos–which is a key reason you’d want eARC–through [the lossy] Dolby Digital Plus [format]. So we really feel we can support our customers now” with standard HDMI-ARC.

Cohen continued: “For those who are in a Samsung-only ecosystem with a Samsung Dolby Atmos Sound Bar, where Dolby Atmos would be important, we do offer HDMI pass-throughs on all of those bars to compensate for that.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNET
All of the other HDMI 2.1 features -- variable refresh rate (VRR), dynamic metadata and automatic low latency mode (ALLM, or auto game mode) -- are supported by all of them beyond the entry-level RU7, with the exception of enhanced audio return channel (eARC), which no 2019 Samsung TV supports.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound and Vision
Edit - turns out the Sound and Vision and CEPro articles were written by the same author. So rather than four accounts, we actually only have three accounts of what was stated at the March 28 Samsung press conference.
jmpage2 likes this.

Last edited by StevieG; 04-08-2019 at 08:08 PM.
post #2306 of 6721 Old 04-08-2019, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Webb View Post
What are your game mode settings... Enhanced... Black level... Etc?

All that stuff off. Game Enhancer is just another picture mode that has it's own default settings with Contrast Enhancer on.
Nicholas Webb likes this.

Last edited by Slickman; 04-08-2019 at 08:10 PM.
post #2307 of 6721 Old 04-08-2019, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6785 Post(s)
Liked: 6784
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdkind View Post
That's my fear. The panel is pretty much perfect otherwise, and this is the kind of thing most people probably wouldn't even notice. I only see it in select scenes and it varies based on viewing angle, so maybe I just need to relax and enjoy.
that is hard to do on the forum
Terminader likes this.
post #2308 of 6721 Old 04-08-2019, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
that is hard to do on the forum
Got that right, I've had the tv for 5 days and I'm just now actually watching content on it without tinkering with settings. It was easier back in the day with just SDR and no game mode and the tvs only had like 5 settings you could change. LOL
post #2309 of 6721 Old 04-08-2019, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 305
As far as the eArc situation goes, I believe it is more of a decision that they (Samsung) to not support it versus a technical reason. The thing that makes me point to that is that my Denon x6400h, which I bought at the end of 2017 or early 2018 received a firmware update to add earc. I find it odd that Samsung just released these sets in 2019 and it is technically impossible to add it when a receiver that came out over a year earlier has the ability. It just feels like they just don't want to support it for whatever reason.

This is the ONE thing holding me back from upgrading from my Q9FN 75" to a 75" Q90R. Samsung, if you are reading this thread, please support eArc. You made what is arguably one of the best gaming 4k HDR television, but for those with higher end audio receivers we want to take advantage of Atmos and the gaming features of this TV, but we can't have both without eArc!
Lyner likes this.

-Hawkmoon
post #2310 of 6721 Old 04-08-2019, 08:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
Agreed. They are here seeking attention to push their agenda. Just ignore them and never respond to them.

Grow up buddy...seriously!

You started all this nonsense with yet another baseless post trying to discredit Rtings latest Q60 review, this before any review of the Q90 has even dropped I might add. Another pathetic attempt to do early damage control is my guess. You did the exact same thing over in the Q900 thread last week, as was pointed out above.

There is no conspiracy to destroy the good name of Samsung or reputation of the Q90R, just a bunch of AV enthusiasts trying to gather enough reliable info to make an informed purchase.

Samsung 82” Q90R * LG 55” C8 * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page