2019 Samsung Q90R Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 78 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4047Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2311 of 5202 Old 04-08-2019, 07:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BRAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 1,885
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
Agreed. They are here seeking attention to push their agenda. Just ignore them and never respond to them.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Grow up buddy...seriously!

You started all this nonsense with yet another baseless post trying to discredit Rtings latest Q60 review, this before any review of the Q90 has even dropped I might add. Another pathetic attempt to do early damage control is my guess. You did the exact same thing over in the Q900 thread last week, as was pointed out above.

There is no conspiracy to destroy the good name of Samsung or reputation of the Q90R, just a bunch of AV enthusiasts trying to gather enough reliable info to make an informed purchase.

Samsung 82” Q90R * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
BRAC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2312 of 5202 Old 04-08-2019, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sd13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,701
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1060 Post(s)
Liked: 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post
Grow up buddy...seriously!



You started all this nonsense with yet another baseless post trying to discredit Rtings latest Q60 review, this before any review of the Q90 has even dropped I might add. Another pathetic attempt to do early damage control is my guess. You did the exact same thing over in the Q900 thread last week, as was pointed out above.



There is no conspiracy to destroy the good name of Samsung or reputation of the Q90R, just a bunch of AV enthusiasts trying to gather enough reliable info to make an informed purchase.
The ironic hypocrisy in all of this that you talk about rtings credibility yet you returned a TV set for one that rtings rated as being inferior. That's actually very amusing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by sd13; 04-08-2019 at 09:05 PM.
sd13 is online now  
post #2313 of 5202 Old 04-08-2019, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
Nillaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
Oh FFS, how is quoting news articles from AV publications spreading false information? I referenced four articles written by reporters who attended the Samsung press event, and all four stated in their articles that Samsung is not supporting eARC in their 2019 TVs. Info compiled below in one place from all four sources for the benefit of others interested in the topic. I think the interpretation is clear, but all are free to apply their own powers of interpretation:






Edit - turns out the Sound and Vision and CEPro articles were written by the same author. So rather than four accounts, we actually only have three accounts of what was stated at the March 28 Samsung press conference.

Your assessment on the chances of eARC happening this year is accurate. I've talked to a few contacts at Samsung about this, including Scott. Things can of course change, but as of now eARC is not in the cards for 2019.



Furthermore, for those skeptical of Cohen's technical prowess I can assure you that he knows what he is talking about. Yes, part of his job as a product trainer is to put a positive Samsung spin on things, but he is undeniably well versed in the underlying technology and how it actually works.

82Q90R / 75Q9FN / Denon X6400H / Polk Audio LSI 7.1.4 / Nvidia Shield / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BluRay / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro / Nintendo Switch / Custom Gaming PC / Custom VR PC / HTC Vive Pro HMD (Wireless)
Nillaz is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2314 of 5202 Old 04-08-2019, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Terminader's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: California
Posts: 1,941
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 1614
Loving the picture quality out of the box in Movie Mode watching DirecTV SDR. And I don't even like basketball!

2019 82" Q90R, 2016 55" and 65" KS8000, Denon S720 AVR
sd13 likes this.
Terminader is offline  
post #2315 of 5202 Old 04-08-2019, 09:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sd13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,701
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1060 Post(s)
Liked: 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminader View Post
Loving the picture quality out of the box in Movie Mode watching DirecTV SDR. And I don't even like basketball!

2019 82" Q90R, 2016 55" and 65" KS8000, Denon S720 AVR
Looks great my friend. And zero signs of the false low contrast claims some here are making.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Terminader and Thrust-Bot like this.
sd13 is online now  
post #2316 of 5202 Old 04-08-2019, 10:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Terminader's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: California
Posts: 1,941
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 1614
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
Looks great my friend. And zero signs of the false low contrast claims some here are making.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Plus no "BlurryFace"!

2019 82" Q90R, 2016 55" and 65" KS8000, Denon S720 AVR
sd13 and TheQuantumLeaper like this.
Terminader is offline  
post #2317 of 5202 Old 04-09-2019, 03:18 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Graham View Post
Or I can just prefer to be accurate.

I will stick with the actual facts, tell people it looks unlikely with the reason that although Samsung hasn't expressly said no, they have played coy and provided responses that are not reinsuring.

You can stick to your interpretation of the facts, credit statements not actually made, and spread false information.
Oh FFS, how is quoting news articles from AV publications spreading false information? I referenced four articles written by reporters who attended the Samsung press event, and all four stated in their articles that Samsung is not supporting eARC in their 2019 TVs. Info compiled below in one place from all four sources for the benefit of others interested in the topic. I think the interpretation is clear, but all are free to apply their own powers of interpretation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEPro
The Samsung TVs, however, don’t support HDMI 2.1’s eARC (enhanced Audio Return Channel). In Samsung’s estimation, eARC isn’t needed because smart-TV streaming services are delivering immersive Dolby Atmos metadata via Dolby Digital Plus soundtracks, Cohen said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGuru
According to Samsung spokesman Scott Cohen, eARC is not being supported in the company’s 2019 TVs because: “We are moving to a streaming world and the streaming sites are adding Dolby Atmos–which is a key reason you’d want eARC–through [the lossy] Dolby Digital Plus [format]. So we really feel we can support our customers now” with standard HDMI-ARC.

Cohen continued: “For those who are in a Samsung-only ecosystem with a Samsung Dolby Atmos Sound Bar, where Dolby Atmos would be important, we do offer HDMI pass-throughs on all of those bars to compensate for that.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNET
All of the other HDMI 2.1 features -- variable refresh rate (VRR), dynamic metadata and automatic low latency mode (ALLM, or auto game mode) -- are supported by all of them beyond the entry-level RU7, with the exception of enhanced audio return channel (eARC), which no 2019 Samsung TV supports.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound and Vision
No Samsung TVs, however, support eARC (enhanced Audio Return Channel) because smart-TV streaming services are delivering immersive Dolby Atmos metadata via Dolby Digital Plus soundtracks, Cohen said.
Edit - turns out the Sound and Vision and CEPro articles were written by the same author. So rather than four accounts, we actually only have three accounts of what was stated at the March 28 Samsung press conference. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

This all started because I read a comment that said Samsung will never add earc to the Q90r. I asked for a source. Those sources don't say that.

Can you show me a single quote made by Samsung that actually says they won't ever support it?

I guess I'm trying to be more accurate than you at use to. Perhaps that's why you're confused. I thought I made that pretty clear in my last message but here we are, you're still confused and still citing the same sources that I already pointed out don't actually say what you claim.
Lyner likes this.
Donald Graham is offline  
post #2318 of 5202 Old 04-09-2019, 03:23 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nillaz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
Oh FFS, how is quoting news articles from AV publications spreading false information? I referenced four articles written by reporters who attended the Samsung press event, and all four stated in their articles that Samsung is not supporting eARC in their 2019 TVs. Info compiled below in one place from all four sources for the benefit of others interested in the topic. I think the interpretation is clear, but all are free to apply their own powers of interpretation:






Edit - turns out the Sound and Vision and CEPro articles were written by the same author. So rather than four accounts, we actually only have three accounts of what was stated at the March 28 Samsung press conference. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

Your assessment on the chances of eARC happening this year is accurate. I've talked to a few contacts at Samsung about this, including Scott. Things can of course change, but as of now eARC is not in the cards for 2019.



Furthermore, for those skeptical of Cohen's technical prowess I can assure you that he knows what he is talking about. Yes, part of his job as a product trainer is to put a positive Samsung spin on things, but he is undeniably well versed in the underlying technology and how it actually works.
So, your sources say that it is not in the plans but not ruled out. That's what I have been saying.

The other comment said that it was a forgone conclusion. How do you get those two to jive?

And cohen probably knows more about tv tech then me or my dead grandmother but he's still not making decisions, doing any engineering, and is unlikely in the direct loop.

Moral of the story, I just wanted to know if it was officially announced that earc was dead. It's not. But it is pretty unlikely. That's all that had to be said but some people can't do reading.
Donald Graham is offline  
post #2319 of 5202 Old 04-09-2019, 04:44 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post
Here's all my settings from my set.

SDR

Picture Mode Standard
Backlight 23
Brightness 0
Contrast 40
Sharpness 2
Color 23
Tint 0
Digital Clean and Automotion Off
Local Dimming High
Contrast Enhancer Low
Color Tone Warm2
BT.1886 -1(0 for bright room)
Color Space Native

SDR Game Mode

Backlight 30
Brightness 0
Contrast 40
Sharpness 4
Color 23
Tint 0
Digital Clean and Automotion Off
Local Dimming High
Contrast Enhancer Low
Color Tone Warm2
BT.1886 0
Color Space Native

HDR

Picture Mode Standard
Backlight 50
Brightness 0
Contrast 45
Sharpness 2
Color 20
Tint 0
Digital Clean and Automotion Off
Local Dimming Standard
Contrast Enhancer Off
Color Tone Warm2
ST.2084 0
Color Space Native

HDR Game Mode

Backlight 50
Brightness 0
Contrast 46
Sharpness 4
Color 20
Tint 0
Digital Clean and Automotion Off
Local Dimming Standard
Contrast Enhancer High
Color Tone Warm2
ST.2084 0
Color Space Native

Enjoy and let me know if you like(or hate) them.



do you use the above settings you use to watch movies?
Elavarasan is offline  
post #2320 of 5202 Old 04-09-2019, 04:59 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Here is a noob question.

Let's say I have a Q90, Xbox one, Chromecast and Apple TV 4k. I'm planning on using my Apple TV for all apps, so no TV built-in apps.

Is it possible to get Atmos through Apple TV? I've heard that I can plug Apple TV into the Atmos sound bar to get Atmos. Is that true? What about Dolby Vision?
willzyx is offline  
post #2321 of 5202 Old 04-09-2019, 05:34 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by willzyx View Post
Here is a noob question.

Let's say I have a Q90, Xbox one, Chromecast and Apple TV 4k. I'm planning on using my Apple TV for all apps, so no TV built-in apps.

Is it possible to get Atmos through Apple TV? I've heard that I can plug Apple TV into the Atmos sound bar to get Atmos. Is that true? What about Dolby Vision?
You will be able to pass Dolby Vision & Atmos to the soundbar such as Samsung N950 if you plug Apple tv into one of the HDMI ins on the soundbar and then plug the HDMI out from the soundbar to the q90r.






Apple TV --->Soundbar---->TV
Elavarasan is offline  
post #2322 of 5202 Old 04-09-2019, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rolls-Royce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Victorville, CA
Posts: 3,997
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1049 Post(s)
Liked: 1176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post
Here's all my settings from my set.

SDR

Picture Mode Standard
Backlight 23
Brightness 0
Contrast 40
Sharpness 2
Color 23
Tint 0
Digital Clean and Automotion Off
Local Dimming High
Contrast Enhancer Low
Color Tone Warm2
BT.1886 -1(0 for bright room)
Color Space Native

SDR Game Mode

Backlight 30
Brightness 0
Contrast 40
Sharpness 4
Color 23
Tint 0
Digital Clean and Automotion Off
Local Dimming High
Contrast Enhancer Low
Color Tone Warm2
BT.1886 0
Color Space Native

HDR

Picture Mode Standard
Backlight 50
Brightness 0
Contrast 45
Sharpness 2
Color 20
Tint 0
Digital Clean and Automotion Off
Local Dimming Standard
Contrast Enhancer Off
Color Tone Warm2
ST.2084 0
Color Space Native

HDR Game Mode

Backlight 50
Brightness 0
Contrast 46
Sharpness 4
Color 20
Tint 0
Digital Clean and Automotion Off
Local Dimming Standard
Contrast Enhancer High
Color Tone Warm2
ST.2084 0
Color Space Native

Enjoy and let me know if you like(or hate) them.
The one thing I don't agree with is your universal use of the Native color space. This is near DCI-P3 if my KS8000 is any indicator, and is wrong for Rec. 709 and HDR alike. It may make colors "pop", but isn't correct, especially for Rec. 709.
player002 likes this.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
Rolls-Royce is online now  
post #2323 of 5202 Old 04-09-2019, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Slickman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,713
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
The one thing I don't agree with is your universal use of the Native color space. This is near DCI-P3 if my KS8000 is any indicator, and is wrong for Rec. 709 and HDR alike. It may make colors "pop", but isn't correct, especially for Rec. 709.
I didn't like Auto for SDR because it made cyan blue and I couldn't bring the cyan back with the settings so I stuck with native. On HDR I thought native looked better too but I could be wrong on the accuracy for HDR. I do like auto but the undersaturated green kills it for me.

Last edited by Slickman; 04-09-2019 at 09:16 AM.
Slickman is offline  
post #2324 of 5202 Old 04-09-2019, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Slickman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,713
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elavarasan View Post
do you use the above settings you use to watch movies?
Yes I do.
Slickman is offline  
post #2325 of 5202 Old 04-09-2019, 07:23 AM
Member
 
StevieG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Graham View Post
So, your sources say that it is not in the plans but not ruled out. That's what I have been saying.

The other comment said that it was a forgone conclusion. How do you get those two to jive?

And cohen probably knows more about tv tech then me or my dead grandmother but he's still not making decisions, doing any engineering, and is unlikely in the direct loop.

Moral of the story, I just wanted to know if it was officially announced that earc was dead. It's not. But it is pretty unlikely. That's all that had to be said but some people can't do reading.
Correction, none of the sources say "but not ruled out", that is your addition. The sources say "not a feature supported in 2019 TVs" and leave it at that. For most people, when they hear the manufacturer say "our product does not support this feature" they don't also insist on the followup "and it never will!" before they believe it. That latter part is implied, otherwise why announce that the feature is not supported in the first place? And boy is it a stretch to assume that Cohen is not in the loop when he is the Samsung employee given the job to preside over a press conference announcing Samsung's support of HDMI 2.1 features! That would be an odd choice to leave out of the loop!

This exchange is reminding me of the Jim Carrey scene in Dumb and Dumber - “So you're telling me there's a chance!”. I hope you are right, I do plan to buy a Q90R and while eARC is not important to me and I have no reason to believe Samsung will reverse their prior press announcement, it still would be nice to have.
StevieG is offline  
post #2326 of 5202 Old 04-09-2019, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,004
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6395 Post(s)
Liked: 6394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post
Got that right, I've had the tv for 5 days and I'm just now actually watching content on it without tinkering with settings. It was easier back in the day with just SDR and no game mode and the tvs only had like 5 settings you could change. LOL
LOL, your supposed to enjoy it first, look around if you see issues after.....
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #2327 of 5202 Old 04-09-2019, 07:44 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elavarasan View Post
You will be able to pass Dolby Vision & Atmos to the soundbar such as Samsung N950 if you plug Apple tv into one of the HDMI ins on the soundbar and then plug the HDMI out from the soundbar to the q90r.


Apple TV --->Soundbar---->TV
Thank you. But now I'm confused. If I can get Dolby Atmos & Vision through a soundbar, why do people label QLED lacking Atmos as a problem? Is it because Samsung TVs built-in apps don't support it?

And if I have Apple TV plugged into a soundbar and then soundbar into a TV, would there be any issues like voice lagging? I'm only asking because my Apple TV was plugged into my old plasma and there would be visible audio sync problems.

I'm sorry if it's a wrong thread and if I should ask this in audio instead.
willzyx is offline  
post #2328 of 5202 Old 04-09-2019, 07:45 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post
Yes I do.
Cheers, thanks!
Elavarasan is offline  
post #2329 of 5202 Old 04-09-2019, 07:58 AM
Member
 
StevieG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by willzyx View Post
Thank you. But now I'm confused. If I can get Dolby Atmos & Vision through a soundbar, why do people label QLED lacking Atmos as a problem? Is it because Samsung TVs built-in apps don't support it?

And if I have Apple TV plugged into a soundbar and then soundbar into a TV, would there be any issues like voice lagging? I'm only asking because my Apple TV was plugged into my old plasma and there would be visible audio sync problems.

I'm sorry if it's a wrong thread and if I should ask this in audio instead.
One clarification - it's not that the Q90R lacks Atmos, it's that without eARC you cannot get high definition (lossless) audio streams. Can still get Atmos over ARC (regular old ARC, not eARC) encoded in lossy DD+. But that is a compromise.

Another reason people want the TV to support eARC is that you can run all of your inputs into the TV and use the TV to switch sources, then push high definition audio to your AV receiver with a single TV output. Without eARC, to get high definition audio you need to run your sources into your AV receiver first, and then a single video output to the TV. There are several reasons people prefer to run sources directly to the TV, including that the TV can allow you to apply different settings per input, and that you avoid the potential of the AV receiver introducing lag.
Terminader and willzyx like this.
StevieG is offline  
post #2330 of 5202 Old 04-09-2019, 08:05 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by willzyx View Post
Thank you. But now I'm confused. If I can get Dolby Atmos & Vision through a soundbar, why do people label QLED lacking Atmos as a problem? Is it because Samsung TVs built-in apps don't support it?

And if I have Apple TV plugged into a soundbar and then soundbar into a TV, would there be any issues like voice lagging? I'm only asking because my Apple TV was plugged into my old plasma and there would be visible audio sync problems.

I'm sorry if it's a wrong thread and if I should ask this in audio instead.
On QLEDs, Samsung has not supported a feature called e-ARC, which supports passthrough of uncompressed audio over HDMI.





Using a setup like "Apple TV --->Soundbar--->QLED (ARC port) ", allows 2 things to happen:


1. It allows apple tv to send uncompressed ATMOS over Dolby TrueHD format. This allows true ATMOS to pass through without compression, which increase the effect of atmos and quality of the audio.


2. But for the built-in apps on the QLED, the TV will pass the ATMOS over Dolby Digital plus format. This is a compressed audio format which ATMOS can be sent over. This will not give the full benefit of playing ATMOS over TRUE HD format.


Hence people saying Qled cannot pass through true ATMOS.
willzyx likes this.
Elavarasan is offline  
post #2331 of 5202 Old 04-09-2019, 08:08 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
One clarification - it's not that the Q90R lacks Atmos, it's that without eARC you cannot get high definition (lossless) audio streams. Can still get Atmos over ARC (regular old ARC, not eARC) encoded in lossy DD+. But that is a compromise.

Another reason people want the TV to support eARC is that you can run all of your inputs into the TV and use the TV to switch sources, then push high definition audio to your AV receiver with a single TV output. Without eARC, to get high definition audio you need to run your sources into your AV receiver first, and then a single video output to the TV. There are several reasons people prefer to run sources directly to the TV, including that the TV can allow you to apply different settings per input, and that you avoid the potential of the AV receiver introducing lag.
Now I get. Thank you for that concise explanation. Makes more sense now.

Now, it's either Q90 75 or C8 77 for me, as they are priced pretty much equally right now. Decisions, decisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elavarasan View Post
On QLEDs, Samsung has not supported a feature called e-ARC, which supports passthrough of uncompressed audio over HDMI.

Using a setup like "Apple TV --->Soundbar--->QLED (ARC port) ", allows 2 things to happen:

1. It allows apple tv to send uncompressed ATMOS over Dolby TrueHD format. This allows true ATMOS to pass through without compression, which increase the effect of atmos and quality of the audio.

2. But for the built-in apps on the QLED, the TV will pass the ATMOS over Dolby Digital plus format. This is a compressed audio format which ATMOS can be sent over. This will not give the full benefit of playing ATMOS over TRUE HD format.

Hence people saying Qled cannot pass through true ATMOS.
Thank you for that. Makes more sense now. Was searching for days to figure out the answer. I'm not that worried about built-in apps since I don't plan on using them anyway. Want to get C8 77 for the native support of Atmos and Vision for future, but worried about burn-in and my toddlers damaging it since it's so thin. And had my eyes on the Q90R, had to return first one because of damaged panel.

MicroLED can't come soon enough.

Last edited by willzyx; 04-09-2019 at 08:14 AM.
willzyx is offline  
post #2332 of 5202 Old 04-09-2019, 08:25 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: new york Ny
Posts: 209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 49
AGS delivered my 75 inch Q90R yesterday. The appointment was for 1-5PM, but I got a call at 9:30 that they would be there in 30 mins...smh.

I will install on Sunday, with pics.
bslep and Terminader like this.
EdFlo is offline  
post #2333 of 5202 Old 04-09-2019, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
player002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,222
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3928 Post(s)
Liked: 2934
Quote:
Originally Posted by willzyx View Post
Now I get. Thank you for that concise explanation. Makes more sense now.

Now, it's either Q90 75 or C8 77 for me, as they are priced pretty much equally right now. Decisions, decisions.



Thank you for that. Makes more sense now. Was searching for days to figure out the answer. I'm not that worried about built-in apps since I don't plan on using them anyway. Want to get C8 77 for the native support of Atmos and Vision for future, but worried about burn-in and my toddlers damaging it since it's so thin. And had my eyes on the Q90R, had to return first one because of damaged panel.

MicroLED can't come soon enough.
Get C8 if priced the same. You wont get HDMI 2.1 though. Also only worry about burn in if you watch CNN/CNBC 24/7. Put logo dimming on high when the kids are watching.. Micro Led is the future now.. Qled has to be cheaper than Oled to make sense.. Qled is great from bright rooms and colors pop. However for overall PQ Oled wins hands down.. Sigh I can't wait for Micro Led to come!

My set up
LG 65B7 | Samsung KS8000 |Sony 55XBR 930D |Samsung 55Q7 Samsung 60F8500 |LG Oled 55C8
LG Oled 65C8 |Samsung 65 Q9FNSamsung 55 Q8FN | Sony 65 900F |Samsung 65 NU8000
Onkyo TX-NR545 + Dolby Atmos Speakers |Xbox One X |Ps4 Pro |PS VR |Oculus Rift
AMD Ryzen 1700 + Vega 64 + Mining Rigs Samsung Galaxy S8
player002 is offline  
post #2334 of 5202 Old 04-09-2019, 08:49 AM
Senior Member
 
Dimon.Zorg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by player002 View Post
However for overall PQ Oled wins hands down..
OLED has a lot of flaws too.
Dimon.Zorg is online now  
post #2335 of 5202 Old 04-09-2019, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
player002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,222
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3928 Post(s)
Liked: 2934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimon.Zorg View Post
OLED has a lot of flaws too.
Yes it has some flaws. Every TV does. Only thing I can say bad about Oled, is not for 24/7 news watchers.

My set up
LG 65B7 | Samsung KS8000 |Sony 55XBR 930D |Samsung 55Q7 Samsung 60F8500 |LG Oled 55C8
LG Oled 65C8 |Samsung 65 Q9FNSamsung 55 Q8FN | Sony 65 900F |Samsung 65 NU8000
Onkyo TX-NR545 + Dolby Atmos Speakers |Xbox One X |Ps4 Pro |PS VR |Oculus Rift
AMD Ryzen 1700 + Vega 64 + Mining Rigs Samsung Galaxy S8
player002 is offline  
post #2336 of 5202 Old 04-09-2019, 09:02 AM
Member
 
StevieG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by player002 View Post
Get C8 if priced the same. You wont get HDMI 2.1 though. Also only worry about burn in if you watch CNN/CNBC 24/7. Put logo dimming on high when the kids are watching.. Micro Led is the future now.. Qled has to be cheaper than Oled to make sense.. Qled is great from bright rooms and colors pop. However for overall PQ Oled wins hands down.. Sigh I can't wait for Micro Led to come!
For bright rooms, QLED wins hands down. Doesn't matter how technically great your OLED PQ is, when you can barely see the picture through the reflections. There is no perfect display technology right now, they all have their pros/cons. Agree that Micro LED just might give the best of all worlds.
Terminader likes this.
StevieG is offline  
post #2337 of 5202 Old 04-09-2019, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BRAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 1,885
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
The ironic hypocrisy in all of this that you talk about rtings credibility yet you returned a TV set for one that rtings rated as being inferior. That's actually very amusing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I’m not at all surprised that you would find that amusing.

How does it make Rtings less credible when I’m sensitive to a FALD issue that they don’t even test for? You have to learn to pick out the parts of their reviews that are important to you and not worry about the rest. I never said that I agree with all of their ratings and assessments, but like it or not, they are still the most reliable and respected resource out there for measured performance data.
JPbuckwalter likes this.

Samsung 82” Q90R * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
BRAC is offline  
post #2338 of 5202 Old 04-09-2019, 09:24 AM
Senior Member
 
South Park's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Still loving our 82Q90R, here is what I did, added a Philips Hue light strip to the back and we love it:





marmup, BRAC and Terminader like this.

South Park is offline  
post #2339 of 5202 Old 04-09-2019, 09:30 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 237
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elavarasan View Post


Using a setup like "Apple TV --->Soundbar--->QLED (ARC port) ", allows 2 things to happen:


1. It allows apple tv to send uncompressed ATMOS over Dolby TrueHD format. This allows true ATMOS to pass through without compression, which increase the effect of atmos and quality of the audio.
Uncompressed ATMOS is going to depend on the source right? Media apps on the Apple TV like Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Vudu still use compressed audio unless something changed. Maybe you can get it through streaming from a Plex server but I haven't tested that.
family_guy is offline  
post #2340 of 5202 Old 04-09-2019, 09:30 AM
Senior Member
 
South Park's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I truly believe this is the best LCD TV on the market today. Yesterday we watched "Highwaymen" on Netflix (HDR) and there was one scene where I noticed the local dimming issue someone (Slickman?) described, it darkened the picture for a moment and this was so far the only occurrence I observed this. I believe this will be straightened out via firmware update.
Mikejl and Terminader like this.

South Park is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off