2019 Samsung Q90R Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 79 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4283Likes

post #2341 of 5711 Old 04-09-2019, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by player002 View Post
Only thing I can say bad about Oled, is not for 24/7 news watchers.
Not only.

- Image retention/burn-in
- you have to cover it from direct sunlight or burn-in again
- low full screen brightness
- dirty white color with tint

You can add something about LG OLED specifically. Like poor processing of near shadow ( awful blocking and gradations), mediocre True Motion and some more...

Looks like we have a lot of stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 5711 Old 04-09-2019, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Park View Post
I truly believe this is the best LCD TV on the market today. Yesterday we watched "Highwaymen" on Netflix (HDR) and there was one scene where I noticed the local dimming issue someone (Slickman?) described, it darkened the picture for a moment and this was so far the only occurrence I observed this. I believe this will be straightened out via firmware update.
What local dimming setting were you using? Did you ever go back and watch the same scene with another setting?
post #2343 of 5711 Old 04-09-2019, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post
What local dimming setting were you using? Did you ever go back and watch the same scene with another setting?
I have it on standard, no I did not go back but I will play the same scene tonight and try all three settings, it was fairly at the beginning of the movie.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2344 of 5711 Old 04-09-2019, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Still loving our 82Q90R, here is what I did, added a Philips Hue light strip to the back and we love it:

I always imagined me doing something similar, but I feel like the extra lights take away from the picture quality.

Are the lights distracting at all?
post #2345 of 5711 Old 04-09-2019, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFlo View Post
I always imagined me doing something similar, but I feel like the extra lights take away from the picture quality.

I use a couple Philips Hue Play bars, and I forget that they are turned on. In short, Bias lights raise the ambient light level in your room allowing your pupils to shrink just a little. This has the effect of reducing fatigue, and even enhancing perceived contrast. Check this out if you want more detail (and there are hundreds of other articles out there). I love them. I was worried at first that I would lose black detail, but it has exactly the opposite effect. If you dial them into 6500k white point and have your TV calibrated properly, you get full benefits. I just use colors (green and purple) because I think it looks cool and my TV isn't up against a wall.
Terminader and EdFlo like this.
post #2346 of 5711 Old 04-09-2019, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Would an owner (preferably an 82") who also has Netflix please look at the second episode of the "second" season of Sabrina and comment on the shadow detail. I have both a Sony 79" XBR and a Samsung 75" of 2015 vintage and these HDR programs are mixed to be very dark and as a consequence they are nearly unwatchable on these old sets. There is almost no detail in all of the interior shots. Exterior shots are OK, so I'm sure it's director's intent. For me, this would be the proof of the pudding for upgrading if the Q90 does not have this shortcoming. I'd really appreciate someone's experience with their set. Should be a true torture test for streaming performance.
bjorktribe likes this.

JVC RS600 Chad-callibrated, 120" 1.3g in Batcave HT, Denon X8500 Polk LSiM703 fronts,
RTi-12 rears, LSiM 706 center, Monitor 40 Heights, Monitor 60 FW, FXiA4 Bi-pole sides,
LSiC CH, Infinity 6" VOG. 4X 12" subs w/mini DSP on sub 1 and nearfield 18" from sub 2.
post #2347 of 5711 Old 04-09-2019, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminader View Post
Plus no "BlurryFace"!

2019 82" Q90R, 2016 55" and 65" KS8000, Denon S720 AVR
My 82 has major "Blurry Face" in fact, most channels from my Xfiinity 4k box look like crap. Its soft washed out image, and in sports the flurry face is in full effect. Although viewing 4k blurays and 4k netflix is a different experience all together but something looks awfully poor in the regular HD feeds, but I keep hoping the picture settings help but i just cant get it right. The Q90 replaced a LG 77 C8 and prior to that I had the LG 86 inch.

But the fact I cant get the picture right on a lower quality cable feed is killing me. Anyone else experience this ???
post #2348 of 5711 Old 04-09-2019, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Graham View Post
So, your sources say that it is not in the plans but not ruled out. That's what I have been saying.

The other comment said that it was a forgone conclusion. How do you get those two to jive?

And cohen probably knows more about tv tech then me or my dead grandmother but he's still not making decisions, doing any engineering, and is unlikely in the direct loop.

Moral of the story, I just wanted to know if it was officially announced that earc was dead. It's not. But it is pretty unlikely. That's all that had to be said but some people can't do reading.
Correction, none of the sources say "but not ruled out", that is your addition. The sources say "not a feature supported in 2019 TVs" and leave it at that. For most people, when they hear the manufacturer say "our product does not support this feature" they don't also insist on the followup "and it never will!" before they believe it. That latter part is implied, otherwise why announce that the feature is not supported in the first place? And boy is it a stretch to assume that Cohen is not in the loop when he is the Samsung employee given the job to preside over a press conference announcing Samsung's support of HDMI 2.1 features! That would be an odd choice to leave out of the loop!

This exchange is reminding me of the Jim Carrey scene in Dumb and Dumber - “So you're telling me there's a chance!”. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif[/IMG] I hope you are right, I do plan to buy a Q90R and while eARC is not important to me and I have no reason to believe Samsung will reverse their prior press announcement, it still would be nice to have.

OK my man. I am not interested in arguing more. I'm guessing English is your second language because there is clearly some misunderstanding going on.

Apologies that I couldn't make the distinction clearer for you, but my initial question was long ago answered.

Take care.

Last edited by Donald Graham; 04-09-2019 at 11:30 AM.
post #2349 of 5711 Old 04-09-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorktribe View Post
I use a couple Philips Hue Play bars, and I forget that they are turned on. In short, Bias lights raise the ambient light level in your room allowing your pupils to shrink just a little. This has the effect of reducing fatigue, and even enhancing perceived contrast. Check this out if you want more detail (and there are hundreds of other articles out there). I love them. I was worried at first that I would lose black detail, but it has exactly the opposite effect. If you dial them into 6500k white point and have your TV calibrated properly, you get full benefits. I just use colors (green and purple) because I think it looks cool and my TV isn't up against a wall.
My TV is going up on the wall. I guess it won't have the same effect?
post #2350 of 5711 Old 04-09-2019, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy202022 View Post
My 82 has major "Blurry Face" in fact, most channels from my Xfiinity 4k box look like crap. Its soft washed out image, and in sports the flurry face is in full effect. Although viewing 4k blurays and 4k netflix is a different experience all together but something looks awfully poor in the regular HD feeds, but I keep hoping the picture settings help but i just cant get it right. The Q90 replaced a LG 77 C8 and prior to that I had the LG 86 inch.

But the fact I cant get the picture right on a lower quality cable feed is killing me. Anyone else experience this ???
Are you letting the Xfinity box pass the signal so the tv can do the upscaling? Or are you having the Xfinity box upscale and then send it to the tv? Letting the Xfinity box pass the feed so the tv can upscale could improve the quality if you already aren't doing that.
Terminader and Lyner like this.

Speakers: Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-290, ADP 190's, Sub: Outlaw LFM-1 EX, Receiver: Denon AVR-X4500H, Televisions: Samsung QN75Q90RAFXZA, Sony XBR-49X900E, Blu-ray Player: Panasonic - DP-UB820, Region Free Blu-ray Player: Oppo 103D
post #2351 of 5711 Old 04-09-2019, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Quote:

I use a couple Philips Hue Play bars, and I forget that they are turned on. In short, Bias lights raise the ambient light level in your room allowing your pupils to shrink just a little. This has the effect of reducing fatigue, and even enhancing perceived contrast. Check this out if you want more detail (and there are hundreds of other articles out there). I love them. I was worried at first that I would lose black detail, but it has exactly the opposite effect. If you dial them into 6500k white point and have your TV calibrated properly, you get full benefits. I just use colors (green and purple) because I think it looks cool [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/cool.gif[/IMG] and my TV isn't up against a wall.
I support this. Google "bias lighting". It's recommended for both picture quality and for eye health.

I use the Luminoodle. They pug into the TVs USB and turn on and off with the TV. Phillips hue are also great, but they are more expensive and you need to buy a Samsung smart hub if you want to automate the process. I own Hue lights though, and I fully recommend them as well.

Last edited by Donald Graham; 04-09-2019 at 11:49 AM.
post #2352 of 5711 Old 04-09-2019, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
My TV is going up on the wall. I guess it won't have the same effect?
Actually, I think having it on a wall is ideal for bias lighting. You'll have better control of light distribution and fewer shadows. Because my TV sits in an open arch to another room, there are varying intensities of light around my TV where even diffusion would be ideal. I'll post a pic tonight to demonstrate.
post #2353 of 5711 Old 04-09-2019, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked: 1056
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post
I’m not at all surprised that you would find that amusing.

How does it make Rtings less credible when I’m sensitive to a FALD issue that they don’t even test for? You have to learn to pick out the parts of their reviews that are important to you and not worry about the rest. I never said that I agree with all of their ratings and assessments, but like it or not, they are still the most reliable and respected resource out there for measured performance data.
Fair enough. We could agree to disagree there. I'm.not bashing their credibility i just think you should take their ratings with a grain of salt because numbers don't tell the whole story. Maybe it's the way they calibrate their sets. For example in Hdr i cannot use auto color space as i find it very washed out. Last year i couldn't use native because it was oversaturated and made everything look purple. This year on my particular panel (cause panel variance is real with these things) it looks just right with native, and I've compared side by side with an OLED using auto color space in Hdr. I've had quite a few sets these past few years, and just like i did not agree that the q9fn had quadruple the contrast of the z9d (also did not think the q9fn was the best LCD ever like they said) to my eyes the q90r is the best LCD TV I've ever tested and the closest to OLED in overall performance out of all of them. I can't have an OLED in my living room cause it's extremely bright and that extra punch and brightness is mandatory for me. So I've compared all the lcds side by side to my OLED to see which one brings me the closest and this one definitely is.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #2354 of 5711 Old 04-09-2019, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Hi Freddie, Can you do a comparison of your impressions between your 77 C8 and the 82" Q90? I think some of us are trying to decided between these two. Also, do you have them set up next to each other for such a comparison?

Thanks!
post #2355 of 5711 Old 04-09-2019, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked: 1620
Quote:

I saw that others had this type of issue three years ago in the KS8000 with DirecTV. They tried changing the Film Mode in the TV picture Expert Settings to see if it helped. I don't recall any major changes, but you should give that a try. The Film Mode setting supposed to handle the 1080i type feeds over HDMI in different ways.

You can also try changing what resolutions your Infinity box is sending to the TV to get the best 4K up conversion. For instance on DirecTV, I select output resolutions as 720p and 1080i (as well as 4k) and Native set to Off so that any non-4k content is sent directly to the TV to let the TV up convert only instead of allowing the STB to convert non-4k to 4k. Depends on the STB and the TV to determine which one is better at the up convert. I would trust a newer TV to do a better job than the STB.

Let us know if any of those options help!

post #2356 of 5711 Old 04-09-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
I saw that others had this type of issue three years ago in the KS8000 with DirecTV. They tried changing the Film Mode in the TV picture Expert Settings to see if it helped. I don't recall any major changes, but you should give that a try. The Film Mode setting supposed to handle the 1080i type feeds over HDMI in different ways.

You can also try changing what resolutions your Infinity box is sending to the TV to get the best 4K up conversion. For instance on DirecTV, I select output resolutions as 720p and 1080i (as well as 4k) and Native set to Off so that any non-4k content is sent directly to the TV to let the TV up convert only instead of allowing the STB to convert non-4k to 4k. Depends on the STB and the TV to determine which one is better at the up convert. I would trust a newer TV to do a better job than the STB.

Let us know if any of those options help!

Wouldn't Native need to be ON to send it directly to the TV?

Speakers: Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-290, ADP 190's, Sub: Outlaw LFM-1 EX, Receiver: Denon AVR-X4500H, Televisions: Samsung QN75Q90RAFXZA, Sony XBR-49X900E, Blu-ray Player: Panasonic - DP-UB820, Region Free Blu-ray Player: Oppo 103D
post #2357 of 5711 Old 04-09-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Actually, I think having it on a wall is ideal for bias lighting. You'll have better control of light distribution and fewer shadows. Because my TV sits in an open arch to another room, there are varying intensities of light around my TV where even diffusion would be ideal. I'll post a pic tonight to demonstrate.
Do you have the option to turn them off at any given time?
post #2358 of 5711 Old 04-09-2019, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by donald graham View Post

Ok my man. I am not interested in arguing more. I'm guessing english is your second language because there is clearly some misunderstanding going on.

Apologies that i couldn't make the distinction clearer for you, but my initial question was long ago answered.

Take care.
lol!
post #2359 of 5711 Old 04-09-2019, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmup View Post
Wouldn't Native need to be ON to send it directly to the TV?
I knew that would come up!

Yes, had this same debate before. My understanding from what Native means to DirecTV STB and my experience was to leave it off. I think the logic was that Native On means that the DirecTV box converts the native signal and Native Off means the STB does not convert the native signal.

post #2360 of 5711 Old 04-09-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
I knew that would come up!

Yes, had this same debate before. My understanding from what Native means to DirecTV STB and my experience was to leave it off. I think the logic was that Native On means that the DirecTV box converts the native signal and Native Off means the STB does not convert the native signal.

I have Directv and I have my Native set to ON. One of the things that happens when you have Native on is that changing channels on Directv slows down bcz the signal is being passed through. This happens when Native is ON. Everything I read says Native should be ON to pass the signal, but I could be wrong.

post #2361 of 5711 Old 04-09-2019, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Quote:
Plus no "BlurryFace"!

Im having the same issue with the Fios 4k STB. Can’t get the picture right on my 65. I find that Natural picture mode keeps the faces and details much sharper, but the color is way off. Standard looks washed out in darker scenes. Daytime scenes look great for the most part. It’s the faces and darker scenes that I think look terrible no matter what settings I go with.
post #2362 of 5711 Old 04-09-2019, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmup View Post
I have Directv and I have my Native set to ON. One of the things that happens when you have Native on is that changing channels on Directv slows down bcz the signal is being passed through. This happens when Native is ON. Everything I read says Native should be ON to pass the signal, but I could be wrong.
Ah, yes, maybe it was that annoyance of the changing channels delay that swayed me. I believe the delay is because the STB is taking the time to up convert the signal. I'll research it again, because it was confusing three years ago but I have enjoyed the viewing and user experience much better with Native off. Give it a try and see it it causes any picture quality issues.

Here's an article that agrees with you and me for different reasons. In general, try each one to see what works beat for you.

https://blog.solidsignal.com/news/ed...s-native-mode/

Last edited by Terminader; 04-09-2019 at 12:32 PM.
post #2363 of 5711 Old 04-09-2019, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Ah, yes, maybe it was that annoyance of the changing channels delay that swayed me. I believe the delay is because the STB is taking the time to up convert the signal.
I turned my DirecTV off years ago, but at least back when I had it, Native ON meant it was passing the signal as-is, OFF meant that the box scaled everything to the resolution you set it to. Changing channels with Native ON could take longer when you switched from one channel to another with a different resolution, because of the handshake and the time for the TV to switch to the new resolution.
Terminader likes this.
post #2364 of 5711 Old 04-09-2019, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by superman11 View Post
Im having the same issue with the Fios 4k STB. Can’t get the picture right on my 65.
I asked this to someone else earlier in the thread, but never got a full answer. Have you tried turning off Digital Clean View? If poor quality content looks smoothed over on this TV while the same content looks fine on another, I would expect noise reduction to be the culprit.
SiGGy likes this.
post #2365 of 5711 Old 04-09-2019, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
Fair enough. We could agree to disagree there. I'm.not bashing their credibility i just think you should take their ratings with a grain of salt because numbers don't tell the whole story. Maybe it's the way they calibrate their sets. For example in Hdr i cannot use auto color space as i find it very washed out. Last year i couldn't use native because it was oversaturated and made everything look purple. This year on my particular panel (cause panel variance is real with these things) it looks just right with native, and I've compared side by side with an OLED using auto color space in Hdr. I've had quite a few sets these past few years, and just like i did not agree that the q9fn had quadruple the contrast of the z9d (also did not think the q9fn was the best LCD ever like they said) to my eyes the q90r is the best LCD TV I've ever tested and the closest to OLED in overall performance out of all of them. I can't have an OLED in my living room cause it's extremely bright and that extra punch and brightness is mandatory for me. So I've compared all the lcds side by side to my OLED to see which one brings me the closest and this one definitely is.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I appreciate your response here. Thank you.

No reason we can’t have a respectful debate. We don’t even have to agree with each other, as I’m sure we both put different priorities on different aspects of PQ.

Just curious..as an owner of both the Q90 and Z9D, how do they compare against each other in your opinion? What does the Q90 do better than the Z9D and vice versa?

Samsung 82” Q90R * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #2366 of 5711 Old 04-09-2019, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by superman11 View Post
Im having the same issue with the Fios 4k STB. Can’t get the picture right on my 65. I find that Natural picture mode keeps the faces and details much sharper, but the color is way off. Standard looks washed out in darker scenes. Daytime scenes look great for the most part. It’s the faces and darker scenes that I think look terrible no matter what settings I go with.
Try my SDR settings but with gamma at 0 and if you want even more shadow detail put brightness at 1, post 2299 .
Terminader likes this.

Last edited by Slickman; 04-09-2019 at 01:46 PM.
post #2367 of 5711 Old 04-09-2019, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:

Right the opposite, the lights are very calm to the eye. I do not have them change colors or brightness constantly. I programmed "movie lightning" for the whole room into the Harmony Elite and by the time the Home Theater starts all the lights will adjust automatically.

post #2368 of 5711 Old 04-09-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Right the opposite, the lights are very calm to the eye. I do not have them change colors or brightness constantly. I programmed "movie lightning" for the whole room into the Harmony Elite and by the time the Home Theater starts all the lights will adjust automatically.
Can you link me up? Sorry, new to this as well.
post #2369 of 5711 Old 04-09-2019, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav99l View Post
Hi Freddie, Can you do a comparison of your impressions between your 77 C8 and the 82" Q90? I think some of us are trying to decided between these two. Also, do you have them set up next to each other for such a comparison?

Thanks!
The LG had to come down to make room for the Q90 so I never had them side by side. Its a light controlled basement room so the OLED shined for sure, but it was just too small at 77 inches. The first couple of days on the Q90, I spent most of the time watching 4k blurays and good 4k HDR streaming content, in dark room and I was more than pleased, LCD have come a long way. The last large LCD I had was the LG 2 year old 86 inch monstrosity, so the local dimming and light output etc..of the Q90 is phenomenal. But regular cable HD image is not good and the LG did fine with the same feed. With a good source the close to 5 extra inches make the Q90 82 inch a better choice over the 77 inch OLED for me, but I do put a lot of emphasis on the screen size alone. Right now I am just seriously displeased with the regular HD picture quality which I cant shake.
post #2370 of 5711 Old 04-09-2019, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav99l View Post
Quote:

Thanks!
This is what I am hoping for also. What are your thoughts on how q90 compares to C8?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page