2019 Samsung Q90R Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 80 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4068Likes

post #2371 of 5257 Old 04-09-2019, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy202022 View Post
The LG had to come down to make room for the Q90 so I never had them side by side. Its a light controlled basement room so the OLED shined for sure, but it was just too small at 77 inches. The first couple of days on the Q90, I spent most of the time watching 4k blurays and good 4k HDR streaming content, in dark room and I was more than pleased, LCD have come a long way. The last large LCD I had was the LG 2 year old 86 inch monstrosity, so the local dimming and light output etc..of the Q90 is phenomenal. But regular cable HD image is not good and the LG did fine with the same feed. With a good source the close to 5 extra inches make the Q90 82 inch a better choice over the 77 inch OLED for me, but I do put a lot of emphasis on the screen size alone. Right now I am just seriously displeased with the regular HD picture quality which I cant shake.
Thanks for the reply. I don't use cable, but instead only streaming services and much of that is not native 4k. How would you say the upconversion comparison is between the two for 720p and 1080 sources?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2372 of 5257 Old 04-09-2019, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by maskgordon View Post
This is what I am hoping for also. What are your thoughts on how q90 compares to C8?
For me it comes down to a light controlled room or no light controlled room. For any clean content I can't say one is truly better or not, but one thing that does stand out is how bright the Q90 gets, even with brightness down it can be blinding in a dark room (in a good and bad way), and that really makes HDR/4k stuff shine, the c8 couldnt really do that. If you in the living room and have windows other lights reflections, the Q90 is better. Even in my basement the one window would reflect off the C8, the Q90 does a amazing job. The viewing angles are also great on the Q90. A lot of the inferior aspects of a LCD that make OLED better are mitigated to a large extent on the Q90. But local dimming is never going to overcome OLED inherent advantage, but you get a lot in return...
Terminader and bjorktribe like this.
post #2373 of 5257 Old 04-09-2019, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by superman11 View Post
Im having the same issue with the Fios 4k STB. Can’t get the picture right on my 65. I find that Natural picture mode keeps the faces and details much sharper, but the color is way off. Standard looks washed out in darker scenes. Daytime scenes look great for the most part. It’s the faces and darker scenes that I think look terrible no matter what settings I go with.
Try my SDR settings but with gamma at 0 and if you want even more shadow detail put brightness at 1, post 2299 .
I’ll give them a shot. The only thing with those settings and a lot of suggested settings for me is the Warm 2 color tone option. Everything just looks way too yellow/brown. Is it something that takes getting used to, or is that not such a big deal in terms of picture quality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2374 of 5257 Old 04-09-2019, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I'm surprised to hear C8 handles lower res cable better than Q90R ?

does LG really have better upscaling than Samsung ?

and how does Sonys upscaling compare ?
post #2375 of 5257 Old 04-09-2019, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
This is what I am hoping for also. What are your thoughts on how q90 compares to C8?
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateDisplay View Post

'

I always had experienced that Samsung is noticeable better than LG for sure, thats why I am thrown back by the Q90 and think its the settings or something else. I will try what other members suggested by check the settings of the cable box etc...
Terminader likes this.
post #2376 of 5257 Old 04-09-2019, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6408 Post(s)
Liked: 6404
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFlo View Post
AGS delivered my 75 inch Q90R yesterday. The appointment was for 1-5PM, but I got a call at 9:30 that they would be there in 30 mins...smh.

I will install on Sunday, with pics.
You checking that screen for damage before then? Not sure what Samsung's Direct policy is....

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Park View Post
Still loving our 82Q90R, here is what I did, added a Philips Hue light strip to the back and we love it
Looks real good
post #2377 of 5257 Old 04-09-2019, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
You checking that screen for damage before then? Not sure what Samsung's Direct policy is....

Looks real good
I have not checked the screen for damage, Should I?
post #2378 of 5257 Old 04-09-2019, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Quote:
For me it comes down to a light controlled room or no light controlled room. For any clean content I can't say one is truly better or not, but one thing that does stand out is how bright the Q90 gets, even with brightness down it can be blinding in a dark room (in a good and bad way), and that really makes HDR/4k stuff shine, the c8 couldnt really do that. If you in the living room and have windows other lights reflections, the Q90 is better. Even in my basement the one window would reflect off the C8, the Q90 does a amazing job. The viewing angles are also great on the Q90. A lot of the inferior aspects of a LCD that make OLED better are mitigated to a large extent on the Q90. But local dimming is never going to overcome OLED inherent advantage, but you get a lot in return...
Great. Thanks Freddy
post #2379 of 5257 Old 04-09-2019, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by superman11 View Post
I’ll give them a shot. The only thing with those settings and a lot of suggested settings for me is the Warm 2 color tone option. Everything just looks way too yellow/brown. Is it something that takes getting used to, or is that not such a big deal in terms of picture quality.
Takes a little getting used to if you always use cooler options but it is the correct setting. If you watch with warm 2 for a while and then try to go back you'll be like whoa everything else is too blue.
Terminader likes this.
post #2380 of 5257 Old 04-09-2019, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 1030
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateDisplay View Post

That is incorrect. I have them both side by side and there is no difference in how they handle cable.
Mikejl and Terminader like this.
post #2381 of 5257 Old 04-09-2019, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikejl View Post
I may have found a solution for my ARC problem with Online Apps. It's been working for almost 24 hrs now and before it wouldn't get audio out to my receiver for more than an hour. In the last week or so it would drop audio in less than a minute.

Yesterday I was messing around with the Ambient mode and decided to do a factory reset after I exited. I've done several factory resets over the last few weeks so this wasn't a big deal. My receiver always gets automatically detected and shows up in the Sound Menu so I never did anything more to get it setup.

This time, even though the receiver was already detected, I decided to run the Connection Guide from the Source menu. I selected Audio Device and HDMI(ARC) and let it search and connect. I haven't lost audio though the receiver since.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this fix is permanent. Only time will tell.

Edit 4/8/19: Started losing ARC audio from online apps again last night. I think I'll have to pin hopes of a permanent fix on a future firmware update.
That's a bummer. I did the same thing after seeing your original post and so far it's been good for me. Was hoping also that this would fix the issue but after seeing your update, I guess we'll need to hope Samsung can fix it in an update.
Mikejl likes this.
post #2382 of 5257 Old 04-09-2019, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruc3L3r0y View Post
That's a bummer. I did the same thing after seeing your original post and so far it's been good for me. Was hoping also that this would fix the issue but after seeing your update, I guess we'll need to hope Samsung can fix it in an update.
How long has it been working for you? If it's been working consistantly for several days, maybe it will stick.

I threw in the towel yesterday and setup an Optical cable for DD from the TV. I'll try ARC again next time we get a firmware update. I have a regular 5.1 setup so I won't lose anything by going with Optical.

I was using my Blu-Ray player for online apps, but I like how HDR looks through the TV apps better.

Samsung: QN65Q90RAFXZA 4K HDR TV * Panasonic: DP-UB820 4K HDR Blu Ray * Onkyo: TX-RZ920 A/V Receiver * M&K: S-150 THX Speakers & DIY: 15" Subwoofer w/ E.D. E15a.22 Driver & Rythmik Audio 380w AMP * URC: MX-990 Universal Remote & MRF 260 Base Station * Samsung: Galaxy S10 Plus
post #2383 of 5257 Old 04-09-2019, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikejl View Post
How long has it been working for you? If it's been working consistantly for several days, maybe it will stick.

I threw in the towel yesterday and setup an Optical cable for DD from the TV. I'll try ARC again next time we get a firmware update. I have a regular 5.1 setup so I won't lose anything by going with Optical.

I was using my Blu-Ray player for online apps, but I like how HDR looks through the TV apps better.
I went thru the process the same day you posted so 2 days I think? So far so good but if yours dropped again then I am not going to hold my breath that mine will somehow magically stick. I already have an optical cable connected from my receiver to the TV but it's not connected at the moment. If my ARC connection drops again I may just do the same thing as you and throw in the towel until hopefully a future update.
Mikejl likes this.
post #2384 of 5257 Old 04-09-2019, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Do you have the option to turn them off at any given time?
With these yes. I just use the Hue App or give a command to my google home. I attached a pic showing the bias lights and you can see that it's much brighter at the bottom than at the top. For my money though, it's way better with than without. It's much more comfy to watch and I typically don't notice that there is an environment around the TV when something worth paying attention to is playing!

I also attached a pic of Resident Evil 7 in HDR for someone a while ago that wanted an ultra dark game mode pic. Of course, the pic doesn't do the real thing justice, and my camera introduces a lot of black crush that just isn't there, but hopefully it makes someone happy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20190409_201634.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	2551056   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190409_210624.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	488.3 KB
ID:	2551058  
post #2385 of 5257 Old 04-09-2019, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 1030
Anyone notice a glitch with the built in Netflix app? I am getting blooming and elevated blacks in certain scenes. I switched to the Netflix app on the apple tv, Panasonic, and cable box and they all are fine with the same scene and same settings. Definitely a glitch. Hoping for a fix soon.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #2386 of 5257 Old 04-09-2019, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
My QN75Q90RAFXZA arrived today and I am just starting to get it all setup. It is currently connected to a Yamaha RX-A3070 receiver. Just for point of reference to this conversation, I also purchased a Samsung QN49Q6FNA in December 2018 which is also connected to a different Yamaha receiver. I was extremely pleased with the QN49 and I still am. It was mainly because of this I decided to replace my old LG 72" with the QN75Q90RAFXZA. So far, I'm not quite sure what to think and I'm hoping you all have some ideas. I was a little shocked to find that there is no plex app for the QN75Q90RAFXZA. I searched and also updated firmware but it is no where to be found. I have a 140TB plex server with all of my media and a lifetime plex license. Am I missing something? The $5000 tv doesn't have plex but the sub $1000 tv does? Please tell me it is coming soon? I even tried connecting to the plex server via source and finding it as a DLNA source, which came up with errors no matter what I tried to watch. I really want to be able to stream my own 4k content to the QN75Q90RAFXZA.
I have to go back and tear it all apart again, but I can't seem to get ARC working from the QN75Q90RAFXZA back through the Yamaha receiver. I am using the same HDMI cable on both setups and it is working flawlessly on the QN49 tv and the RX-A3050 receiver but not on the QN75Q90RAFXZA and the RX-A3070.
setup 1 - Yamaha RX-A3050 and QN49Q6FNA (no issues yet)
setup 2 - Yamaha RX-A3070 and QN75Q90RAFXZA (ARC and no plex app)
post #2387 of 5257 Old 04-09-2019, 07:54 PM

setup 2 should say "No ARC and no plex app"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCDinPGH View Post
My QN75Q90RAFXZA arrived today and I am just starting to get it all setup. It is currently connected to a Yamaha RX-A3070 receiver. Just for point of reference to this conversation, I also purchased a Samsung QN49Q6FNA in December 2018 which is also connected to a different Yamaha receiver. I was extremely pleased with the QN49 and I still am. It was mainly because of this I decided to replace my old LG 72" with the QN75Q90RAFXZA. So far, I'm not quite sure what to think and I'm hoping you all have some ideas. I was a little shocked to find that there is no plex app for the QN75Q90RAFXZA. I searched and also updated firmware but it is no where to be found. I have a 140TB plex server with all of my media and a lifetime plex license. Am I missing something? The $5000 tv doesn't have plex but the sub $1000 tv does? Please tell me it is coming soon? I even tried connecting to the plex server via source and finding it as a DLNA source, which came up with errors no matter what I tried to watch. I really want to be able to stream my own 4k content to the QN75Q90RAFXZA.
I have to go back and tear it all apart again, but I can't seem to get ARC working from the QN75Q90RAFXZA back through the Yamaha receiver. I am using the same HDMI cable on both setups and it is working flawlessly on the QN49 tv and the RX-A3050 receiver but not on the QN75Q90RAFXZA and the RX-A3070.
post #2388 of 5257 Old 04-09-2019, 08:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Not upset at all when I have to watch a movie in SDR instead of HDR on the set. Good SDR from blu-ray or MKV looks amazing on the Q90R. Here's 2 pics to illustrate dynamic range and black level, and these are in SDR. Looks better in real life of course.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
sd13 and Terminader like this.
post #2389 of 5257 Old 04-09-2019, 08:46 PM

I had the HDMi in a non ARC port in the Yamaha. It was very hard to see. ARC is working again. So right now, not having a plex app is the only issue so far.
I will probably call Samsung tomorrow but maybe someone else has already researched this.

Quote:
Quote:
setup 2 should say "No ARC and no plex app"
Terminader likes this.
post #2390 of 5257 Old 04-09-2019, 09:21 PM

According to someone in the plex forums, the plex app is coming for the 2019 Q90 models.

Quote:
I had the HDMi in a non ARC port in the Yamaha. It was very hard to see. ARC is working again. So right now, not having a plex app is the only issue so far.
I will probably call Samsung tomorrow but maybe someone else has already researched this.
post #2391 of 5257 Old 04-09-2019, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Got one of these on order in 65".

Was wondering if anyone could provide me with the dimensions of the one connect box? Specifically the width?

I feel like I read it somewhere but not sure if it was this forum or another.

Cheers
post #2392 of 5257 Old 04-09-2019, 10:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 1614
Quote:
Originally Posted by >500 View Post
Got one of these on order in 65".

Was wondering if anyone could provide me with the dimensions of the one connect box? Specifically the width?

I feel like I read it somewhere but not sure if it was this forum or another.

Cheers
15.5" W x 7" D x 3.5" H

It's a big boy this year as it includes the power supply with merely an amazing thin optical cable that connects it with the TV.

And welcome to the owners' forum!

2019 82" Q90R, 2016 55" and 65" KS8000, Denon S720 AVR
post #2393 of 5257 Old 04-09-2019, 10:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 254 Post(s)
Quoted: 12488 Post(s)
Liked: 11670
Quote:
The LG had to come down to make room for the Q90 so I never had them side by side. Its a light controlled basement room so the OLED shined for sure, but it was just too small at 77 inches. The first couple of days on the Q90, I spent most of the time watching 4k blurays and good 4k HDR streaming content, in dark room and I was more than pleased, LCD have come a long way. The last large LCD I had was the LG 2 year old 86 inch monstrosity, so the local dimming and light output etc..of the Q90 is phenomenal. But regular cable HD image is not good and the LG did fine with the same feed. With a good source the close to 5 extra inches make the Q90 82 inch a better choice over the 77 inch OLED for me, but I do put a lot of emphasis on the screen size alone. Right now I am just seriously displeased with the regular HD picture quality which I cant shake.

The few extra inches might also be exposing a few more flaws in the cable source. last year I saw the Q7FN and C8 side by side playing ESPN and the oled had the better contrast but the Q7 had a little cleaner image with better edges and facial detail. you might be noticing lesser contrast with cable. oled will win that battle for sure.
post #2394 of 5257 Old 04-09-2019, 11:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2230 Post(s)
Liked: 2841
Quote:
Originally Posted by family_guy View Post
Uncompressed ATMOS is going to depend on the source right? Media apps on the Apple TV like Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Vudu still use compressed audio unless something changed. Maybe you can get it through streaming from a Plex server but I haven't tested that.

Streaming services will never use lossless audio.

Cannot be done....

However..... the Apple TV decodes the lossy streams and passes it as a PCM package that contains the Atmos objects and metadata.... they do this so they can add in system sounds, Siri, etc.

This PCM+objects/metadata payload is referred to as Dolby MAT.

The X-Box also uses this newer PCM format to pass Atmos, in addition to being able to bitstream lossless codecs.

eARC has some great benefits. But it will not improve Netflix, Vudu or Amazon content in regards to Atmos vs using ARC.
Mikejl and gimpygod like this.
post #2395 of 5257 Old 04-10-2019, 01:40 AM

Liked: 5
Quote:
Not upset at all when I have to watch a movie in SDR instead of HDR on the set. Good SDR from blu-ray or MKV looks amazing on the Q90R. Here's 2 pics to illustrate dynamic range and black level, and these are in SDR. Looks better in real life of course.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Hi Slickman,

I have used your settings to watch various movie scenes both in SDR and HDR yesterday. The colours looks amazing but i find the overall picture to be dim, even with max backlight.

Could you help please or provide any suggestion?
post #2396 of 5257 Old 04-10-2019, 02:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elavarasan View Post
Hi Slickman,

I have used your settings to watch various movie scenes both in SDR and HDR yesterday. The colours looks amazing but i find the overall picture to be dim, even with max backlight.

Could you help please or provide any suggestion?
I did revise my settings since I originally posted them and I updated post 2299 accordingly. If your picture is too dim make sure contrast enhancer is on. I use Contrast Enhancer on Low across the board for all my settings now. For SDR you should have plenty of backlight to make the picture very bright. For HDR the contrast enhancer should brighten up the screen just enough. If you want more shadow detail just put brightness up a click from my settings, I wouldn't go any further than that though(on my set, your set may differ). Also, under "General" and "Eco Solution" make sure those settings are turned off.
Elavarasan likes this.

Last edited by Slickman; 04-10-2019 at 03:13 AM.
post #2397 of 5257 Old 04-10-2019, 03:15 AM

Quote:
I did revise my settings since I originally posted them and I updated post 2299 accordingly. If your picture is too dim make sure contrast enhancer is on. I use Contrast Enhancer on Low across the board for all my settings now. For SDR you should have plenty of backlight to make the picture very bright. For HDR the contrast enhancer should brighten up the screen just enough. If you want more shadow detail just put brightness up a click from my settings, I wouldn't go any further than that though(on my set, your set may differ). Also, under "General" and "Eco Solution" make sure those settings are turned off.

ahhh, i see thanks. Will try new settings.

But doesnt increasing the contrast enhancer increases the blooming on the tv?
post #2398 of 5257 Old 04-10-2019, 03:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elavarasan View Post
ahhh, i see thanks. Will try new settings.

But doesnt increasing the contrast enhancer increases the blooming on the tv?
Technically a brighter image will increase blooming but you shouldn't have very much blooming on the Q90R even with very bright settings.
Elavarasan likes this.
post #2399 of 5257 Old 04-10-2019, 03:22 AM

Also @Slickman and other members,

I have to put the Q90r TV volume level to around 50+ for me to hear sound from the tv at decent level. I have turned toggled between intelligant mode on and off and switch between 2 modes available. Intelligent and amplify. The volume is quiet for mine and guests hearing.

However I have the KS9500 and MU7000, both which are pretty loud at volume level 11. The KS9500 has a 40W speaker compared to 60W on the Q90R.

Does anyone else have a similar issue as me?
post #2400 of 5257 Old 04-10-2019, 04:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
I have not checked the screen for damage, Should I?

I would have opened it before they left...

Sony XBR-65X900F // Sony HTZ9F Sound Bar & SAZ9R Speakers // Xbox One X & PS4 Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page