2019 Samsung Q90R Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 81 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4084Likes

post #2401 of 5317 Old 04-10-2019, 05:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Another Q90R review just appeared, in HomeCinema Magazine. Need to translate from Dutch. Excellent rating overall.

https://www.homecinemamagazine.nl/20...ra-hd-qled-tv/
Keithian likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2402 of 5317 Old 04-10-2019, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
I asked this to someone else earlier in the thread, but never got a full answer. Have you tried turning off Digital Clean View? If poor quality content looks smoothed over on this TV while the same content looks fine on another, I would expect noise reduction to be the culprit.
Same thing I was thinking. Can someone try this and report back? I'm guessing it's in auto mode and it's being too aggressive. Just disable it completely...
post #2403 of 5317 Old 04-10-2019, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
Another Q90R review just appeared, in HomeCinema Magazine. Need to translate from Dutch. Excellent rating overall.

Good review. Thanks for posting the link.

Samsung 82” Q90R * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2404 of 5317 Old 04-10-2019, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman View Post
I would have opened it before they left...
I don't think anyone does this? Everyone opens the box upon delivery?
post #2405 of 5317 Old 04-10-2019, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

Using Google Translate, here are some of the issues they found. They seem similar to rtings review of the Q900RB

Quote:
Remarkable is the color range that has clearly decreased compared to the 2018 Q9FN, now 88% DCI-P3 and 65% Rec 2020 (vs 97 and 73% respectively on the Q9FN). That seems a fairly big difference, but the impact is limited, especially green seems to have to sacrifice some intensity. This decrease is probably due to the Wide Angle Film.
Quote:
Unfortunately, Samsung has still not learned to neatly follow the required brightness curve, but it continues to make the images much clearer. In Film mode, the brightness over a large part of the curve is more than 50% too high.
In general though, the review was very positive.
post #2406 of 5317 Old 04-10-2019, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGGy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
I asked this to someone else earlier in the thread, but never got a full answer. Have you tried turning off Digital Clean View? If poor quality content looks smoothed over on this TV while the same content looks fine on another, I would expect noise reduction to be the culprit.
Same thing I was thinking. Can someone try this and report back? I'm guessing it's in auto mode and it's being too aggressive. Just disable it completely...
Funny enough I’ve had it off for the last few days and decided to switch it to auto because i felt like there was a lot of noise. It looks better on auto for me with cable TV.
post #2407 of 5317 Old 04-10-2019, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman11 View Post
Funny enough I’ve had it off for the last few days and decided to switch it to auto because i felt like there was a lot of noise. It looks better on auto for me with cable TV.
That's great, but doesn't answer the question if this feature is the culprit of the smooth faces that a few owners have mentioned.
post #2408 of 5317 Old 04-10-2019, 07:00 AM

I just called Samsung, I have 14 days upon delivery to check for any type of damages. Sunday would be day #7 .
Terminader likes this.
post #2409 of 5317 Old 04-10-2019, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I've been rockin' this TV (65") now for the past 2 weeks. Tweaking (and re-tweaking) settings and now catching up with comments / suggestions in this forum.

One up-front question I do have... I'm a bit confused with the comments in prior posts with respect to Input Signal Plus HDMI settings. I have a crappy Spectrum cable box on HDMI1 and an Apple TV 4K on HDMI2. Shouldy cable box HDMI1 setting be disabled / not selected... and my Apple TV 4K HDMI2 setting be set to enabled / on? The eManual is only confusing and I have no idea what the default settings ever were now.

Thanks!
post #2410 of 5317 Old 04-10-2019, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Sorry if I missed this, but has it been confirmed whether or not the 75 & 82 are using the same anti-reflective filter as the 65?

Samsung 82” Q90R * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #2411 of 5317 Old 04-10-2019, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elavarasan View Post
Also @Slickman and other members,

I have to put the Q90r TV volume level to around 50+ for me to hear sound from the tv at decent level. I have turned toggled between intelligant mode on and off and switch between 2 modes available. Intelligent and amplify. The volume is quiet for mine and guests hearing.

However I have the KS9500 and MU7000, both which are pretty loud at volume level 11. The KS9500 has a 40W speaker compared to 60W on the Q90R.

Does anyone else have a similar issue as me?
Others would have to chime in on this one because I use home theater speakers. With that said when I first turn the tv on it uses the tv speakers until I turn my receiver on, and my tv speakers come on pretty loud. How's that picture coming along?
post #2412 of 5317 Old 04-10-2019, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6422 Post(s)
Liked: 6410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman View Post
I would have opened it before they left...
Not always required but when it doubt its a good policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFlo View Post
I don't think anyone does this? Everyone opens the box upon delivery?
Depending who you buy from and there requirements from the insurance company.

Quote:
I just called Samsung, I have 14 days upon delivery to check for any type of damages. Sunday would be day #7 .
You just need to know who you bought from and there damage policy. Some shippers require you to check out with driver, some are ok with 24 hours notice.
Mikejl likes this.
post #2413 of 5317 Old 04-10-2019, 07:33 AM

Red face

Quote:

The One Connect box is largely unchanged from last year. We find four HDMI connections, which according to Samsung use HDMI 2.1 . They are not only ready for Ultra HD HDR, but also for High Frame Rate (HFR, 120fps) in both 4K and Full HD. For gamers there is support for VRR and ALLM and after a future firmware upgrade eARC will also be available. Three times USB, three antenna connections and the wired network connection make the list complete. There is of course WiFi and Bluetooth is available for those who want to use a wireless headset.
post #2414 of 5317 Old 04-10-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Quote:
That's great, but doesn't answer the question if this feature is the culprit of the smooth faces that a few owners have mentioned.
Not sure if I can answer that unfortunately. From
my experience, With the feature turned off, I see a lot of noise over the screen and it makes faces lose detail especially in dark scenes. With it on Auto, everything is sharper, including faces.
post #2415 of 5317 Old 04-10-2019, 08:13 AM
tdx

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Why do some pro reviews mention HDMI 2.1 and an upcoming EARC firmware update while others say this will not happen?

This is really weird and I wish Samsung would make an official statement. Yes I know there was a press conference where some Samsung guy said no EARC but a press release or something on the website would clarify once and for all.
post #2416 of 5317 Old 04-10-2019, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 1614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond Scum View Post
I've been rockin' this TV (65") now for the past 2 weeks. Tweaking (and re-tweaking) settings and now catching up with comments / suggestions in this forum.

One up-front question I do have... I'm a bit confused with the comments in prior posts with respect to Input Signal Plus HDMI settings. I have a crappy Spectrum cable box on HDMI1 and an Apple TV 4K on HDMI2. Shouldy cable box HDMI1 setting be disabled / not selected... and my Apple TV 4K HDMI2 setting be set to enabled / on? The eManual is only confusing and I have no idea what the default settings ever were now.

Thanks!
I suggest turning Input Plus on for each HDMI input. I base that rationale on my experience with a similar function on the Samsung 2016 KS8000. If it is not on, you won't have the optimized picture experience which includes proper display of 4k content.

I will caution that in my 2016 TV, having that enabled did cause an issue (no audio) for one particular set top box. So, if you see anomalies for that input, try turning it off to see if that is an issue.

2019 82" Q90R, 2016 55" and 65" KS8000, Denon S720 AVR
Pond Scum likes this.
post #2417 of 5317 Old 04-10-2019, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
The One Connect box is largely unchanged from last year. We find four HDMI connections, which according to Samsung use HDMI 2.1 . They are not only ready for Ultra HD HDR, but also for High Frame Rate (HFR, 120fps) in both 4K and Full HD. For gamers there is support for VRR and ALLM and after a future firmware upgrade eARC will also be available. Three times USB, three antenna connections and the wired network connection make the list complete. There is of course WiFi and Bluetooth is available for those who want to use a wireless headset.
Interesting that they are reporting that an eARC firmware update will be delivered, I wonder if they would share what their source is for this information.

If eARC will be delivered to this TV it will be hard for me to justify the price difference of going with the much more expensive 77 C9 even if the PQ is slightly better.
post #2418 of 5317 Old 04-10-2019, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked: 1030
I discovered a bug with the built in apps. In Netflix and YouTube, there is blooming in Hdr when using standard mode, only in the built in apps. Standard mode with my apps such as Netflix on my external devices work fine in standard mode. This bug only affects my internal apps in Hdr standard mode. Every other mode, and the apps from other sources are fine. Here are a couple of pictures that illustrate the issue. Anyone here noticing the same issue with the built in apps and Hdr standard mode?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Terminader and South Park like this.

Last edited by sd13; 04-10-2019 at 08:42 AM.
post #2419 of 5317 Old 04-10-2019, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I think I might have triggered that ambient mode bug. It only effects my Standard picture mode though. The Standard picture mode will dim after a few seconds, but none of the other picture modes are effected. I will try switching the auto brightness off when I get home, otherwise I'll have to do the factory reset. For others who had the issue, did it effect all of your picture modes or just the one mode like mine?

Speakers: Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-290, ADP 190's, Sub: Outlaw LFM-1 EX, Receiver: Denon AVR-X4500H, Televisions: Samsung QN75Q90RAFXZA, Sony XBR-49X900E, Blu-ray Player: Panasonic - DP-UB820, Region Free Blu-ray Player: Oppo 103D
post #2420 of 5317 Old 04-10-2019, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm too scared to test built in apps now because everytime I do something crazy happens. Can you guys please test game mode and see if the different local dimming settings do anything? On my set in game mode all local dimming settings are the same. I didn't think this was the case before. I'll do a reset if it's just my set.
post #2421 of 5317 Old 04-10-2019, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Procedure To Change & Save Settings

Suggestions abound for tweaks to picture settings; but they assume all know how to apply them. What is the exact procedure when wanting to apply to different sources and content (HDR, SDR, Game, etc) and how do I save them for future use. Many thanks.
post #2422 of 5317 Old 04-10-2019, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmup View Post
I think I might have triggered that ambient mode bug. It only effects my Standard picture mode though. The Standard picture mode will dim after a few seconds, but none of the other picture modes are effected. I will try switching the auto brightness off when I get home, otherwise I'll have to do the factory reset. For others who had the issue, did it effect all of your picture modes or just the one mode like mine?
I would check to make sure all of the Eco modes are disabled in General settings first.
Terminader and South Park like this.
post #2423 of 5317 Old 04-10-2019, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post
I'm too scared to test built in apps now because everytime I do something crazy happens. Can you guys please test game mode and see if the different local dimming settings do anything? On my set in game mode all local dimming settings are the same. I didn't think this was the case before. I'll do a reset if it's just my set.
Toggling local dimming settings in game mode does nothing on mine. It didn't budge on my q9fn either. However, game mode on the q9fn was completely broken and had blooming all over the place, whereas on my q90r it looks completely normal.

post #2424 of 5317 Old 04-10-2019, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
Toggling local dimming settings in game mode does nothing on mine. It didn't budge on my q9fn either. However, game mode on the q9fn was completely broken and had blooming all over the place, whereas on my q90r it looks completely normal.

OK thanks, from comparing to game mode off it appears game mode local dimming is locked to high.
post #2425 of 5317 Old 04-10-2019, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post
OK thanks, from comparing to game mode off it appears game mode local dimming is locked to high.
Yep pretty much. I'm ok with that coming from a horrible game mode on the q9fn.

post #2426 of 5317 Old 04-10-2019, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdkind View Post
I sat down tonight feeling excited to try out the new Criterion Channel, but I was disappointed when I fired up their noir collection (starting with My Name Is Julia Ross) and the two blue stripes were all I could see on top of an otherwise perfect black and white image.
Would any other owners mind confirming that their panel doesn't have this issue before I go to the trouble of ordering another Q90R? The issue is seen most readily on black and white material (the original Twilight Zone, which is available on pretty much all streaming services, is good test material). It presents itself as noticeably higher brightness/blue tint at the top and bottom of the screen.

If you're enjoying your TV and discovering this issue might ruin that, please don't go searching for it

I just don't want to waste my time ordering another TV if this is inherent to the panel. I watch a fair amount of B&W material and this isn't an issue I can live with long term, which sucks because the rest of the panel is basically perfect.

I tried to capture it in photos, but it's worse in person.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0877.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	2551352   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0875.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	2.20 MB
ID:	2551354  
Terminader likes this.

Last edited by thirdkind; 04-10-2019 at 10:39 AM.
post #2427 of 5317 Old 04-10-2019, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
my experience, With the feature turned off, I see a lot of noise over the screen and it makes faces lose detail especially in dark scenes. With it on Auto, everything is sharper, including faces.
Problem with leaving it on "auto" is depending on the source you're watching you could be in off, low, med or high mode you'll never know.

I.E. In auto it could be too aggressive at times removing detail from the video you would want, and others it might improve things.

I have seen this feature improve things on low quality feeds. But I've also seen it make things look soft/missing details.

Last edited by SiGGy; 04-10-2019 at 09:24 AM.
post #2428 of 5317 Old 04-10-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Problem with leaving it on "auto" is depending on the source you're watching you could be in low, med or high mode you'll never know. Unless you watch a lot of junk feeds, I would leave it on low or off.

I.E. it could be too aggressive at times removing detail from the video you would want, and others it might improve things.
Hm. I’ve never tried Low. But I’ve been watching Game of Thrones on a 4k STB, so I wonder why my experience is like this.

I also just realized that I’ve had that Eco adaptive brightness setting on, so I wonder if that has anything to do with the detail on dark scenes and with faces. Haven’t had a chance to test that yet.
Terminader likes this.
post #2429 of 5317 Old 04-10-2019, 09:40 AM

Can someone show me the back of the one connect box for the Q90? I need to plan for using a Philips Hue Lightstrip behind my TV. I'm just trying to figure out the USB ports.
post #2430 of 5317 Old 04-10-2019, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Can someone show me the back of the one connect box for the Q90? I need to plan for using a Philips Hue Lightstrip behind my TV. I'm just trying to figure out the USB ports.
There are no USB ports on the back. All three are located on the right side of the box (left if you're looking from the back). All USB 2. Two are 5V/0.5A, one is 5V/1A.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page