2019 Samsung Q90R Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 82 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4269Likes

post #2431 of 5682 Old 04-10-2019, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 709
SD, just out of curiosity, what are you using for your external apps and are you plugging it into the OCB or into the receiver?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2432 of 5682 Old 04-10-2019, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonka08 View Post
Using Google Translate, here are some of the issues they found. They seem similar to rtings review of the Q900RB

In general though, the review was very positive.

Yup - it sounds like the wide angle tech is knocking the color space and overall contrast in the same way it did with the Z9F. However, better and more accurate color reproduction seems to be what is making the Q90 a winner. The better detail in dark scenes, from what seems to be a better algorithm for local dimming, seems to make up for the knock on contrast.

There arent many people talking about blooming on the set, so, unlike the Z9F, the picture isnt being called into question.
post #2433 of 5682 Old 04-10-2019, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
As far as the eArc situation goes, I believe it is more of a decision that they (Samsung) to not support it versus a technical reason. The thing that makes me point to that is that my Denon x6400h, which I bought at the end of 2017 or early 2018 received a firmware update to add earc. I find it odd that Samsung just released these sets in 2019 and it is technically impossible to add it when a receiver that came out over a year earlier has the ability. It just feels like they just don't want to support it for whatever reason.

This is the ONE thing holding me back from upgrading from my Q9FN 75" to a 75" Q90R. Samsung, if you are reading this thread, please support eArc. You made what is arguably one of the best gaming 4k HDR television, but for those with higher end audio receivers we want to take advantage of Atmos and the gaming features of this TV, but we can't have both without eArc!
It baffles me, i mean if they worked with xbox for compatible gaming features, how was earc ignored? I have actually went back to running thru my receiver has i have pioneer lx503 (also earc updated last oct) 7.1.4 setup. Im missing on allm which is conveinent but not huge deal, and im missing on the free sync which is nice, but i think id rather choose the better sound over that for games im playing (bo4, bf5, madden etc)

As far as game settings does contrast enhancer or game enhancer add any input lag? I know game motion plus does add quite a bit, but unsure if these options do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2434 of 5682 Old 04-10-2019, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wheaton View Post
It baffles me, i mean if they worked with xbox for compatible gaming features, how was earc ignored? I have actually went back to running thru my receiver has i have pioneer lx503 (also earc updated last oct) 7.1.4 setup. Im missing on allm which is conveinent but not huge deal, and im missing on the free sync which is nice, but i think id rather choose the better sound over that for games im playing (bo4, bf5, madden etc)

As far as game settings does contrast enhancer or game enhancer add any input lag? I know game motion plus does add quite a bit, but unsure if these options do?
I'm wondering if contrast enhancer adds input lag too. You only need the "Game Enhancer" if you want to use black equalizer otherwise that button is useless unless you want to have 2 picture mode settings for game mode. I've switched contrast enhancer on and off and I don't feel any difference but there still could be a measurable one.

Last edited by Slickman; 04-10-2019 at 10:42 AM.
post #2435 of 5682 Old 04-10-2019, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by crono311 View Post

Yup - it sounds like the wide angle tech is knocking the color space and overall contrast in the same way it did with the Z9F. However, better and more accurate color reproduction seems to be what is making the Q90 a winner. The better detail in dark scenes, from what seems to be a better algorithm for local dimming, seems to make up for the knock on contrast.

There arent many people talking about blooming on the set, so, unlike the Z9F, the picture isnt being called into question.
I did not notice any more blooming on my 82" q90r when compared to my 75 Q9fn. The blacks look great. Again, just eyeball tests. I didn't have the chance to test what SD is experiencing. To me the built in apps looked slightly more clear than the Roku ultra, but I was more focused on facial clarity then the blacks.
QledBeta likes this.
post #2436 of 5682 Old 04-10-2019, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post
I'm wondering if contrast enhancer adds input lag too. You only need the "Game Enhancer" if you want to use black equalizer otherwise that button is useless unless you want to have 2 picture mode settings for game mode. I've switched it on and off and I don't feel any difference but there still could be a measurable one.
i currently have it off as well as contrast enhancer off just be safe until i can confirm.
post #2437 of 5682 Old 04-10-2019, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked: 1053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithian View Post
SD, just out of curiosity, what are you using for your external apps and are you plugging it into the OCB or into the receiver?
I tried every Netflix app on all all my external devices, apple tv, Panasonic ub820, Xbox etc. And they all work fine in hdr standard mode. Same result whether these devices are plugged in directly or through a receiver. Only my built in apps have an issue.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #2438 of 5682 Old 04-10-2019, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithian View Post
I did not notice any more blooming on my 82" q90r when compared to my 75 Q9fn. The blacks look great. Again, just eyeball tests. I didn't have the chance to test what SD is experiencing. To me the built in apps looked slightly more clear than the Roku ultra, but I was more focused on facial clarity then the blacks.
Going with the Q900RB, while the native contrast ratio is low, the contrast with local dimming was orders of magnitudes better (nearly 5x). That chip they include in this years models seems to be doing wonders. Measurements are important, and I always care about that, but overall, it sounds like the image processing is making this years sets a winner in their own right.

Makes sense as to why so many people are simply swearing by the picture, regardless of what the facts say about what the actual picture ratings are showing.

It is sounding like the Q90 and Q900RB are doing right what the Z9F did wrong - rather than this being necessarily about doing right what the Q9FN did wrong.
LG4k likes this.
post #2439 of 5682 Old 04-10-2019, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6498 Post(s)
Liked: 6476
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdkind View Post
Would any other owners mind confirming that their panel doesn't have this issue before I go to the trouble of ordering another Q90R? The issue is seen most readily on black and white material (the original Twilight Zone, which is available on pretty much all streaming services, is good test material). It presents itself as noticeably higher brightness/blue tint at the top and bottom of the screen.
There will always be unit variation. Just because one guy has a problem does not mean another person will.
Terminader likes this.
post #2440 of 5682 Old 04-10-2019, 11:05 AM
Pip
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
I discovered a bug with the built in apps. In Netflix and YouTube, there is blooming in Hdr when using standard mode, only in the built in apps. Standard mode with my apps such as Netflix on my external devices work fine in standard mode. This bug only affects my internal apps in Hdr standard mode. Every other mode, and the apps from other sources are fine. Here are a couple of pictures that illustrate the issue. Anyone here noticing the same issue with the built in apps and Hdr standard mode?

Thank you so much for this excellent question and documentation. One finds so many complaints on these forums, YouTube, and Samsung’s internal forums regarding blooming (especially with subtitles) on Samsung QLEDs - both 2018 and 2019. Manny complaints appear justified, and are often documented with videos. Whenever a source is detailed, it is always Netflix, but I can’t find anyone who has done what you have - directly compared internal and external Netflix.

This is an important issue regarding all Samsung sets with any form of local dimming from this year or last. For some reason, professional reviewers don’t seem to test for this. It would be very valuable to know wether this is a problem with Samsung’s dimming processing – affecting discs and streaming alike, or if it is a problem specifically with the Netflix internal app.

There must be someone, perhaps Cleveland Plasma, who can answer this question accurately.

Pip
post #2441 of 5682 Old 04-10-2019, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post
Thank you so much for this excellent question and documentation. One finds so many complaints on these forums, YouTube, and Samsung’s internal forums regarding blooming (especially with subtitles) on Samsung QLEDs - both 2018 and 2019. Manny complaints appear justified, and are often documented with videos. Whenever a source is detailed, it is always Netflix, but I can’t find anyone who has done what you have - directly compared internal and external Netflix.

This is an important issue regarding all Samsung sets with any form of local dimming from this year or last. For some reason, professional reviewers don’t seem to test for this. It would be very valuable to know wether this is a problem with Samsung’s dimming processing – affecting discs and streaming alike, or if it is a problem specifically with the Netflix internal app.

There must be someone, perhaps Cleveland Plasma, can I answer this question accurately.

Pip
Please re-read my post. This issue ONLY affects the built in apps. It does not affect the same app from external devices. How can this be an issue with the processing, when the processing with the local dimming works just fine with external apps, and also works fine in every other mode other than Hdr standard mode? It's clearly an issue with the built in apps.

Mikejl and South Park like this.
post #2442 of 5682 Old 04-10-2019, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFlo View Post
Can someone show me the back of the one connect box for the Q90? I need to plan for using a Philips Hue Lightstrip behind my TV. I'm just trying to figure out the USB ports.
There are probably a ton of USB smart connect hubs out there that could be used for this purpose and then you could integrate them to Alexa or other things for easy control.
post #2443 of 5682 Old 04-10-2019, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorktribe View Post
There are no USB ports on the back. All three are located on the right side of the box (left if you're looking from the back). All USB 2. Two are 5V/0.5A, one is 5V/1A.
I need an idea on how to connect this bias lighting, since there are no USB entries on the back of the 75 inch Q90 TV. My thinking is that I will have to run some of the lighting through the wall along with the 1 Connect Cable, powering it into the one connect box.

https://www.amazon.com/Luminoodle-Co...web_9344277011
post #2444 of 5682 Old 04-10-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
There are probably a ton of USB smart connect hubs out there that could be used for this purpose and then you could integrate them to Alexa or other things for easy control.
I wanted to use this,

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/philips...?skuId=4373913

but I would need 2 extensions for the 75inch Q90 and a "smart hub". We are looking at a $250 expense. :|
post #2445 of 5682 Old 04-10-2019, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdx View Post
Why do some pro reviews mention HDMI 2.1 and an upcoming EARC firmware update while others say this will not happen?

This is really weird and I wish Samsung would make an official statement. Yes I know there was a press conference where some Samsung guy said no EARC but a press release or something on the website would clarify once and for all.
Because you can call it HDMI 2.1 if it even supports only a single feature, by no means does it mean it's full 48Gbps bandwidth ...
Terminader likes this.
post #2446 of 5682 Old 04-10-2019, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I wanted to use this,

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/philips...?skuId=4373913

but I would need 2 extensions for the 75inch Q90 and a "smart hub". We are looking at a $250 expense. :|
You would need 3 extensions for a 75 with that one.

post #2447 of 5682 Old 04-10-2019, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
I discovered a bug with the built in apps. In Netflix and YouTube, there is blooming in Hdr when using standard mode, only in the built in apps. Standard mode with my apps such as Netflix on my external devices work fine in standard mode. This bug only affects my internal apps in Hdr standard mode. Every other mode, and the apps from other sources are fine. Here are a couple of pictures that illustrate the issue. Anyone here noticing the same issue with the built in apps and Hdr standard mode?

Since when is Avengers in HDR on Netflix? I don't even see that available for streaming in the U.S.
post #2448 of 5682 Old 04-10-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
You would need 3 extensions for a 75 with that one.

Oh FFS lol....

Worth it?
post #2449 of 5682 Old 04-10-2019, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
There will always be unit variation. Just because one guy has a problem does not mean another person will.
I realize that, but if no one else reports this specific issue, then at least I know I have a chance of getting a panel without it.

It seems like Samsung has improved panel quality and uniformity substantially with the Q90R, so if I can establish this issue as a possible albeit unlikely variation (or defect), then I can feel confident that a replacement probably won't suffer from it, making the risk worth it.
Terminader likes this.
post #2450 of 5682 Old 04-10-2019, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Oh FFS lol....

Worth it?
I fussed with the Philips light strip, but the darn things are so fragile. I highly recommend the Play Bar instead. The two bars share one power source and can be mounted anywhere. You'll still need the Bridge, but you'll be at or under $180 when you're done. The have better light output than the strip too.

The luminoodle is great. One of my friends has it on their 75". They can't be turned on and off at will though.
post #2451 of 5682 Old 04-10-2019, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

I'm having similar issues but only with Ex Machina on Netflix using the built-in app or through an Apple TV. Throughout the entire movie the letterbox bars will be lit up if using standard picture mode - if I switch to a picture mode other than standard it goes away. This seems to be the only content I've run across that does this. Maybe the way this movie is encoded causes the FALD algorithm to go crazy. Really weird...

Video: Samsung QN65Q90R | Samsung UBD-K8500
Audio: Denon AVR-X6200W 5.2.4 Dolby Atmos | 4 x Polk Signature S55 (F/LR, R/LR) | 1 x Polk Signature S35 (C) | 2 x Polk HTS 12 (SW) | 4 x Polk RC60i (T)
Cooling: AC Infinity AC-ACT10
post #2452 of 5682 Old 04-10-2019, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:

It is total speculation but it could be that they ran into a technical challenge when they tried to get it to work. Or they couldn't pass certification. Or the hardware wasn't capable. Or......

Considering that other vendors were able to port the capability back to devices as old as 2016/2017 it is rather baffling but only engineers that work for Samsung know the answer and they aren't talking.
post #2453 of 5682 Old 04-10-2019, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Oh FFS lol....

The luminoodle is great. One of my friends has it on their 75". They can't be turned on and off at will though.
The Luminoodle come with a tiny remote that can turn off the lights, turn up or down the light level, and change the colors of the lights.

They plug into the OCB's USB port and will turn on and off with the tv.
Ted99, Terminader and bjorktribe like this.

Last edited by Donald Graham; 04-10-2019 at 02:40 PM.
post #2454 of 5682 Old 04-10-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Quote:

It is total speculation but it could be that they ran into a technical challenge when they tried to get it to work. Or they couldn't pass certification. Or the hardware wasn't capable. Or......

Considering that other vendors were able to port the capability back to devices as old as 2016/2017 it is rather baffling but only engineers that work for Samsung know the answer and they aren't talking.
My theory is

1) they are either working to update their soundbars as well (they don't want earc to only work when their tvs are connected to non Samsung soundbars). The Hw-n950 hasn't been updated since early December. Maybe they are working on one big update, or

2) earc + vrr + allm requires full hdmi 2.1 (which would explain why Sony didn't include vrr or allm but did do earc).

I remain optimistic and that's why when you said they won't ever, I wanted to know if they actually said that.

Oh and just to add, they may not feel pressed yet as LGs lineup still isn't out. So at the moment, there really is only Sony who has earc tvs out.
Lyner likes this.

Last edited by Donald Graham; 04-10-2019 at 02:39 PM.
post #2455 of 5682 Old 04-10-2019, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I recently purchased a C8 and haven't really been impressed with its HDR brightness in game mode. I have an X27 HDR1000 monitor which is sometimes so bright that I have to look away. The difference is very noticeable.

Can anybody comment on this? I know HDR brightness has been mentioned but its hard for me to judge just how bright it can get in game mode based off of what I have read. Is it 'bright but I can keep looking' or 'so bright that I sometimes need to look away'?
post #2456 of 5682 Old 04-10-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner23767 View Post
I recently purchased a C8 and haven't really been impressed with its HDR brightness in game mode. I have an X27 HDR1000 monitor which is sometimes so bright that I have to look away. The difference is very noticeable.

Can anybody comment on this? I know HDR brightness has been mentioned but its hard for me to judge just how bright it can get in game mode based off of what I have read. Is it 'bright but I can keep looking' or 'so bright that I sometimes need to look away'?
I returned the C8 for your very reason. Pure blacks are great and all but not when the overall picture is dim and those flare scenes are underwhelming due to the tvs low overall nits.
post #2457 of 5682 Old 04-10-2019, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked: 1620
Quote:

Q90R HDR brightness is awesome in all modes including Game

2019 82" Q90R, 2016 55" and 65" KS8000, Denon S720 AVR
post #2458 of 5682 Old 04-10-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorktribe View Post
I fussed with the Philips light strip, but the darn things are so fragile. I highly recommend the Play Bar instead. The two bars share one power source and can be mounted anywhere. You'll still need the Bridge, but you'll be at or under $180 when you're done. The have better light output than the strip too.

The other issue is i don’t know how well it would work with the No-Gap mount.
post #2459 of 5682 Old 04-10-2019, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Graham View Post
I returned the C8 for your very reason. Pure blacks are great and all but not when the overall picture is dim and those flare scenes are underwhelming due to the tvs low overall nits.
Man what a frustrating hobby! I have read thousands of responses on various forums over the past few months. Many people stated that although oleds have lower nit ratings, the infinite contrasts makes up for it and ends up making it pretty much even. Based in this, I purchased a 77C8.

Based on my experience between the C8 and the X27 monitor, that couldn't be further from the truth. Granted I haven't had the C8 long, and while amazing looking in its own right, when it comes to HDR brightness, it isn't anywhere near as bright.

In my opinion, gaming on the X27 is just in another league.

I'm need to be extra cautious at this point as this is becoming a major PITA. I see nit ratings of something like the Z9D to be higher across the board than the X27. Is there any chance that the Q90R will not be near as bright as the X27 in game mode?
Terminader likes this.
post #2460 of 5682 Old 04-10-2019, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Man what a frustrating hobby! I have read thousands of responses on various forums over the past few months. Many people stated that although oleds have lower nit ratings, the infinite contrasts makes up for it and ends up making it pretty much even. Based in this, I purchased a 77C8.

Based on my experience between the C8 and the X27 monitor, that couldn't be further from the truth. Granted I haven't had the C8 long, and while amazing looking in its own right, when it comes to HDR brightness, it isn't anywhere near as bright.

In my opinion, gaming on the X27 is just in another league.

I'm need to be extra cautious at this point as this is becoming a major PITA. I see nit ratings of something like the Z9D to be higher across the board than the X27. Is there any chance that the Q90R will not be near as bright as the X27 in game mode?
I didn't have the chance to test game mode on my Q90R before packing it up for return, but even movie mode after calibration is super bright. I can't imagine game mode disappointing anyone in terms of brightness.
Terminader likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page