2019 Samsung Q90R Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 83 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4019Likes
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2019, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,569
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Graham View Post
My theory is

1) they are either working to update their soundbars as well (they don't want earc to only work when their tvs are connected to non Samsung soundbars). The Hw-n950 hasn't been updated since early December. Maybe they are working on one big update, or

2) earc + vrr + allm requires full hdmi 2.1 (which would explain why Sony didn't include vrr or allm but did do earc).

I remain optimistic and that's why when you said they won't ever, I wanted to know if they actually said that.

Oh and just to add, they may not feel pressed yet as LGs lineup still isn't out. So at the moment, there really is only Sony who has earc tvs out.
I still put the odds as exceedingly low that they will be delivering this feature but indeed I should not have said "impossible" or "never". There appears to be two stories out there, the official one that has been communicated at press conferences and via spokespeople/trainers from Samsung and this has been relayed by a large number of sources including CNET and others to indicate, even with a handy table that eARC is not part of the Q90R or any other 2019 TV models for that matter.

The second story is coming from what I would call lower level sources, that have been relayed by HD Guru, this Dutch magazine and even my local Magnolia salesperson who insist that eARC is "coming".

I don't put much stock in rumors that originate with unnamed sources.
jmpage2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-10-2019, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Darin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 6,104
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
Another Q90R review just appeared, in HomeCinema Magazine. Need to translate from Dutch. Excellent rating overall.

https://www.homecinemamagazine.nl/20...ra-hd-qled-tv/
Quote:
Remarkable is the color range that has clearly decreased compared to the 2018 Q9FN, now 88% DCI-P3 and 65% Rec 2020 (vs 97 and 73% respectively on the Q9FN). That seems a fairly big difference, but the impact is limited, especially green seems to have to sacrifice some intensity. This decrease is probably due to the Wide Angle Film.
This seems like an odd conclusion. If the underlying panel can produce a specific range of colors, why would the film reduce that? For that to be the case, the film would have to selectively filter out the most extreme colors. I can certainly understand how the film could affect brightness... if the light is spread over a wider range, I can certainly understand why the intensity would be reduced in the sweet spot. But it seems odd to assume the film is the culprit of the reduced gamut. I don't doubt that the color is reduced, as there have been subjective comments that people perceived less color "pop" compared to the Q9F, and I've seen people playing with settings to increase it. But I can't help but wonder if this isn't simply a processing issue (error) that could be resolved with a firmware update.
Darin is offline  
Old 04-10-2019, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
Jason626's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: illinois
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 212
I guess it could be one of two things. Either it could be the new wide angle technology or it could be the new anti glare filter. The darker that filter is might be like putting sunglasses over the screen and you have to try to make your colors go through the AR filter like a pair of sunglasses. Might lose some color volume that way too. Or maybe combination of both. Guessing.
Jason626 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-10-2019, 04:35 PM
Pip
Advanced Member
 
Pip's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 709
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
Please re-read my post. This issue ONLY affects the built in apps. It does not affect the same app from external devices. How can this be an issue with the processing, when the processing with the local dimming works just fine with external apps, and also works fine in every other mode other than Hdr standard mode? It's clearly an issue with the built in apps.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Please re-read mine. I am thanking you so much for your thorough testing, and your results are indeed very clear; but unless you have also done this testing with the other 2019 QLEDs and last year's models, we can only safely assume this applies to 2019 full array models. I'm hoping to find out if your results apply to all the other models.

"Thank you so much for this excellent question and documentation. One finds so many complaints... on Samsung QLEDs - both 2018 and 2019. ....

This is an important issue regarding all Samsung sets with any form of local dimming from this year or last...."


Thanks once again for your excellent testing.

Pip
Terminader likes this.
Pip is offline  
Old 04-10-2019, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sd13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,700
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1059 Post(s)
Liked: 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post
Please re-read mine. I am thanking you so much for your thorough testing, and your results are indeed very clear; but unless you have also done this testing with the other 2019 QLEDs and last year's models, we can only safely assume this applies to 2019 full array models. I'm hoping to find out if your results apply to all the other models.

"Thank you so much for this excellent question and documentation. One finds so many complaints... on Samsung QLEDs - both 2018 and 2019. ....

This is an important issue regarding all Samsung sets with any form of local dimming from this year or last...."


Thanks once again for your excellent testing.

Pip
The issue is either with the app itself, or the communication between the standard mode settings profile and the apps.
TheQuantumLeaper likes this.

65” Sony A9G (on order) | 65” Samsung Q90r | 55” LG C8 | 65” Sony Z9D (R.I.P.) | 55” Sony x850b. Denon s940e | Bose soundbar 700 | Apple TV 4K | Panasonic UB820 | PS4 | Xbox One X

Last edited by sd13; 04-10-2019 at 07:09 PM.
sd13 is offline  
Old 04-10-2019, 06:11 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Some pics of our planet and 4k hockey on sportsnet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190410_205731370_1554944559706.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	3.49 MB
ID:	2551472   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190410_205236843_1554944572954.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	3.52 MB
ID:	2551474   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190410_204847509_1554944594846.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	3.47 MB
ID:	2551476   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190410_210602454_1554944834659.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	3.25 MB
ID:	2551478  
Terminader likes this.
Maxpocket is offline  
Old 04-10-2019, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: WI
Posts: 2,872
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2324 Post(s)
Liked: 1130
So it seems, so far from "reports", that in order to get wider viewing angles from LCD - something else has to be given up.

For the Samsung - it is color volume; for the Sony it was black levels.


Shopping List:
TV: Samsung Q90R, or LG C9, or Sony ...
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820, or Sony X800M, or Pioneer Elite LX500
Soundbar: Samsung Q90R, or Sennheiser Ambeo, or...
AVR and Speakers: Marantz 8012, or... and GE Triton Reference, or...
New24K is offline  
Old 04-10-2019, 06:34 PM
Member
 
StevieG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Here is an illuminating (pun intended) article showing the effectiveness of the 2019 Samsung anti-reflective filter. The TV used is the QE65Q85R, same filter as the Q90R. Need to translate from French.

https://www.lesnumeriques.com/tv-tel...nt-n85813.html

Holy cow that is one remarkable filter! Never been a better TV for bright rooms than the 2019 Samsungs.
Ted99 and Terminader like this.
StevieG is offline  
Old 04-10-2019, 06:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Bruc3L3r0y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikejl View Post
How long has it been working for you? If it's been working consistantly for several days, maybe it will stick.

I threw in the towel yesterday and setup an Optical cable for DD from the TV. I'll try ARC again next time we get a firmware update. I have a regular 5.1 setup so I won't lose anything by going with Optical.

I was using my Blu-Ray player for online apps, but I like how HDR looks through the TV apps better.
Unfortunately it did not stick as I lost ARc connection today. Just like you, I also threw in the towel and connected with an optical cable. Can I ask how you have it configured? Do you still see your receiver in the Sound Output settings? Or does it say Audio Out/Optical? Did you need to disable ARC on your receiver?
Bruc3L3r0y is offline  
Old 04-10-2019, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Slickman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,713
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpocket View Post
Some pics of our planet and 4k hockey on sportsnet
What's the settings? Contrast Enhancer will help immensely with the reds for SDR.
Slickman is offline  
Old 04-10-2019, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Terminader's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: California
Posts: 1,940
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked: 1614
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
Here is an illuminating (pun intended) article showing the effectiveness of the 2019 Samsung anti-reflective filter. The TV used is the QE65Q85R, same filter as the Q90R. Need to translate from French.



https://www.lesnumeriques.com/tv-tel...nt-n85813.html



Holy cow that is one remarkable filter! Never been a better TV for bright rooms than the 2019 Samsungs.
Proof is in (or not) the picture!!!!

https://dyw7ncnq1en5l.cloudfront.net...-tv-q85r-f.jpg

2019 82" Q90R, 2016 55" and 65" KS8000, Denon S720 AVR
Terminader is offline  
Old 04-10-2019, 08:23 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpocket View Post
Some pics of our planet and 4k hockey on sportsnet
What's the settings? Contrast Enhancer will help immensely with the reds for SDR.
Almost all yours. Change a couple of things like warm 1 vs 2. Not sold wet on warm 2. And Smalls others detail. Contrast enhancer on low
Maxpocket is offline  
Old 04-10-2019, 08:34 PM
Member
 
samovies10's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Remarkable is the color range that has clearly decreased compared to the 2018 Q9FN, now 88% DCI-P3 and 65% Rec 2020 (vs 97 and 73% respectively on the Q9FN). That seems a fairly big difference, but the impact is limited, especially green seems to have to sacrifice some intensity. This decrease is probably due to the Wide Angle Film.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
This seems like an odd conclusion. If the underlying panel can produce a specific range of colors, why would the film reduce that? For that to be the case, the film would have to selectively filter out the most extreme colors. I can certainly understand how the film could affect brightness... if the light is spread over a wider range, I can certainly understand why the intensity would be reduced in the sweet spot. But it seems odd to assume the film is the culprit of the reduced gamut. I don't doubt that the color is reduced, as there have been subjective comments that people perceived less color "pop" compared to the Q9F, and I've seen people playing with settings to increase it. But I can't help but wonder if this isn't simply a processing issue (error) that could be resolved with a firmware update.
Definitely interesting that the color gamut seems slightly reduced. I wonder if that could be a panel variance thing or if it will indeed be lower compared to last year's to ~90% of the DCI-P3. I am also now wondering how the color volume will be. Where is the rtings review already? lol.

Setup:
Spoiler!
samovies10 is online now  
Old 04-10-2019, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sd13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,700
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1059 Post(s)
Liked: 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by samovies10 View Post
Definitely interesting that the color gamut seems slightly reduced. I wonder if that could be a panel variance thing or if it will indeed be lower compared to last year's to ~90% of the DCI-P3. I am also now wondering how the color volume will be. Where is the rtings review already? lol.
Color space auto in Hdr does seem undersaturated compared to last year's model. Maybe that's why the color volume numbers are low? No complaints though cause native looks solid and rich without being oversaturated unlike last year.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

65” Sony A9G (on order) | 65” Samsung Q90r | 55” LG C8 | 65” Sony Z9D (R.I.P.) | 55” Sony x850b. Denon s940e | Bose soundbar 700 | Apple TV 4K | Panasonic UB820 | PS4 | Xbox One X
sd13 is offline  
Old 04-10-2019, 08:51 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Graham View Post
The Luminoodle come with a tiny remote that can turn off the lights, turn up or down the light level, and change the colors of the lights.

They plug into the OCB's USB port and will turn on and off with the tv.
That's good to know. Maybe my friend has an older or cheaper model because there was no remote. Just speaking from my experience.
bjorktribe is offline  
Old 04-10-2019, 08:55 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 23,993
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6392 Post(s)
Liked: 6390
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdkind View Post
I realize that, but if no one else reports this specific issue, then at least I know I have a chance of getting a panel without it.

It seems like Samsung has improved panel quality and uniformity substantially with the Q90R, so if I can establish this issue as a possible albeit unlikely variation (or defect), then I can feel confident that a replacement probably won't suffer from it, making the risk worth it.
I agree from the screen shots, uniformity issues are not as often.
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
Old 04-10-2019, 09:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Mikejl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruc3L3r0y View Post
Unfortunately it did not stick as I lost ARc connection today. Just like you, I also threw in the towel and connected with an optical cable. Can I ask how you have it configured? Do you still see your receiver in the Sound Output settings? Or does it say Audio Out/Optical? Did you need to disable ARC on your receiver?
No, you won't see the receiver listed in the Sound Output settings.

Here are the steps to set up Optical:

1 - TV Optical out connect to receiver Optical In 1 (Game)
2 - In video settings menu turn off Anynet on both the AVR and TV.
3 - In the TV Sound Output select Audio Out/Optical
4 - On the receiver go to Input/Output Assign --> Digital Audio Input --> and assign Optical 1 to the TV input.
5 - To watch/hear a TV app, select the TV audio source on the receiver.

I had to reprogram some macro's on my remote and now everything is pretty much the same as it was with ARC enabled.

Samsung: QN65Q90RAFXZA 4K HDR TV * Panasonic: DP-UB820 4K HDR Blu Ray * Onkyo: TX-RZ920 A/V Receiver * M&K: S-150 THX Speakers & DIY: 15" Subwoofer w/ E.D. E15a.22 Driver & Rythmik Audio 380w AMP * URC: MX-990 Universal Remote & MRF 260 Base Station * Samsung: Galaxy S10 Plus

Last edited by Mikejl; 04-11-2019 at 07:37 AM.
Mikejl is offline  
Old 04-10-2019, 09:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Slickman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,713
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
Color space auto in Hdr does seem undersaturated compared to last year's model. Maybe that's why the color volume numbers are low? No complaints though cause native looks solid and rich without being oversaturated unlike last year.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I wish there was something in between Auto and Native for SDR.
sd13 likes this.
Slickman is offline  
Old 04-10-2019, 10:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sd13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,700
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1059 Post(s)
Liked: 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post
I wish there was something in between Auto and Native for SDR.
Always felt the same about Samsungs but this is the best native I've seen.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Terminader likes this.

65” Sony A9G (on order) | 65” Samsung Q90r | 55” LG C8 | 65” Sony Z9D (R.I.P.) | 55” Sony x850b. Denon s940e | Bose soundbar 700 | Apple TV 4K | Panasonic UB820 | PS4 | Xbox One X
sd13 is offline  
Old 04-10-2019, 10:29 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
Oh FFS, how is quoting news articles from AV publications spreading false information? I referenced four articles written by reporters who attended the Samsung press event, and all four stated in their articles that Samsung is not supporting eARC in their 2019 TVs. Info compiled below in one place from all four sources for the benefit of others interested in the topic. I think the interpretation is clear, but all are free to apply their own powers of interpretation:













Edit - turns out the Sound and Vision and CEPro articles were written by the same author. So rather than four accounts, we actually only have three accounts of what was stated at the March 28 Samsung press conference.


I think the only correct interpretation should be “No Samsung 2019 TVs are CURRENTLY supporting eARC.” Period.


从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk
Lyner is offline  
Old 04-10-2019, 10:38 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Graham View Post
This all started because I read a comment that said Samsung will never add earc to the Q90r. I asked for a source. Those sources don't say that.

Can you show me a single quote made by Samsung that actually says they won't ever support it?

I guess I'm trying to be more accurate than you at use to. Perhaps that's why you're confused. I thought I made that pretty clear in my last message but here we are, you're still confused and still citing the same sources that I already pointed out don't actually say what you claim.


Agreed. ‘Not being supported’ simply DOES NOT equal to ‘never will’ (or it will, of course).


从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk
Lyner is offline  
Old 04-11-2019, 01:55 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post
Others would have to chime in on this one because I use home theater speakers. With that said when I first turn the tv on it uses the tv speakers until I turn my receiver on, and my tv speakers come on pretty loud. How's that picture coming along?



I normally use the Samsung N950 soundbar when watching movies or SCI-FI related TV shows. Other than that i just used to use my TV speakers with my old Tv (KS9500). Thats how I noticed this issue. Its really terrible adjusting the volume to over 50+.




In terms of picture, i have tried your settings, the colors are amazing. But for my liking I still to find the tv to be dim. When I increase the Local dimming to high and contrast to high, i see a bit of haloing. Before this increased the Brightness level but i see alot of noise. (Tried Black Panther)



Also from switching between standard and movie mode, I see lot of black brush in dark scenes. I read in a review or forum somewhere, this is an issue.
Elavarasan is offline  
Old 04-11-2019, 03:34 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 5
With us in Germany there is the firmware 1062 since today, but AirPlay is still not available. Do you already have AirPlay?
I use naturally, everything else is for me personally too dark and colorless.
deandy is offline  
Old 04-11-2019, 04:47 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandy View Post
With us in Germany there is the firmware 1062 since today, but AirPlay is still not available. Do you already have AirPlay?
I use naturally, everything else is for me personally too dark and colorless.



No.
Elavarasan is offline  
Old 04-11-2019, 05:05 AM
Pip
Advanced Member
 
Pip's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 709
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
The issue is either with the app itself, or the communication between the standard mode settings profile and the apps.
Are you confident that applies to all Samsungs with local dimming from 2018 & 2019? There are user reports of this blooming issue from external sources. None of these are as well documented as yours however.

Pip
Pip is offline  
Old 04-11-2019, 07:27 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: new york Ny
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 49
So after reading the last few pages, it seems like everyone is using apps not on the actual TV but rather from devices?
EdFlo is offline  
Old 04-11-2019, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Darin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 6,104
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Are the attached pictures typical of how your boxes looked? Mine had only one strap on one side, though indents on the cardboard make it look like there was one on the other side at one point. The top tape was already cut or split on one side, and the bottom was taped rather randomly, not like you would expect from a factory. I've pulled the box top off, all looks well inside, but it just seems odd. FA02 panel, FWIW.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190411_101103_1554995164841.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	3.59 MB
ID:	2551736   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190411_101124_1554995179063.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	2.27 MB
ID:	2551738  
Darin is offline  
Old 04-11-2019, 08:19 AM
Senior Member
 
Mikejl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
Are the attached pictures typical of how your boxes looked? Mine had only one strap on one side, though indents on the cardboard make it look like there was one on the other side at one point. The top tape was already cut or split on one side, and the bottom was taped rather randomly, not like you would expect from a factory. I've pulled the box top off, all looks well inside, but it just seems odd. FA02 panel, FWIW.
Nope. There should be 2 straps. One could have come off from being slid around alot.

On my second Q90R one of the straps was frayed badly and It wouldn't have taken much more for it to break completely.

Samsung: QN65Q90RAFXZA 4K HDR TV * Panasonic: DP-UB820 4K HDR Blu Ray * Onkyo: TX-RZ920 A/V Receiver * M&K: S-150 THX Speakers & DIY: 15" Subwoofer w/ E.D. E15a.22 Driver & Rythmik Audio 380w AMP * URC: MX-990 Universal Remote & MRF 260 Base Station * Samsung: Galaxy S10 Plus
Mikejl is offline  
Old 04-11-2019, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Darin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 6,104
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikejl View Post
Nope. There should be 2 straps.
Thanks, that's what I expected. Was your box top taped to the bottom, or were you able to just take the straps off and lift off the top? My top was taped to the bottom (rather randomly), so that tape had to be slit before lifting the top off. Hopefully it's just an issue of the other strap coming off, and someone taped the bottom to help secure it since it was missing a strap. It just gives you pause when a high $$ item shows up and the packaging isn't pristine. This was direct from Samsung. It might be a couple days before I can get this hooked up. But everything inside LOOKS ok.
Darin is offline  
Old 04-11-2019, 08:31 AM
Senior Member
 
Mikejl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
Thanks, that's what I expected. Was your box top taped to the bottom, or were you able to just take the straps off and lift off the top? My top was taped to the bottom (rather randomly), so that tape had to be slit before lifting the top off. Hopefully it's just an issue of the other strap coming off, and someone taped the bottom to help secure it since it was missing a strap. It just gives you pause when a high $$ item shows up and the packaging isn't pristine. This was direct from Samsung. It might be a couple days before I can get this hooked up. But everything inside LOOKS ok.
I was able to take the straps off and lift off the top. No tape on the bottom.

Maybe the shipping company taped it after the strap broke. You would need something to hold the box together if one of the straps broke so you could pick it up and move it using the hand holds in the box.

Also, since one of the straps was still secure, I doubt anyone messed with it after it left the factory.

Samsung: QN65Q90RAFXZA 4K HDR TV * Panasonic: DP-UB820 4K HDR Blu Ray * Onkyo: TX-RZ920 A/V Receiver * M&K: S-150 THX Speakers & DIY: 15" Subwoofer w/ E.D. E15a.22 Driver & Rythmik Audio 380w AMP * URC: MX-990 Universal Remote & MRF 260 Base Station * Samsung: Galaxy S10 Plus

Last edited by Mikejl; 04-11-2019 at 08:35 AM.
Mikejl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off