2019 Samsung Q90R Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 90 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4037Likes

post #2671 of 5181 Old 04-13-2019, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by huttyhawk View Post
I am probably going to return my 82inch Q90R and I will tell you why, but first let me talk about the things that I love about the Q90R.

1. HDR4K content is mind blowingly awesome. Seriously it’s a game changer, I’ve watched Aquaman and Bumble Bee and I have been blown away at how great the picture is. The colors, the black’s, brightness, and blooming are a just fantastic. I’ve also watched a few episodes of Netflix’s Our planet and the viewing on that is captivating.
2. Gamming on PC in 1440P at 120FPS is also great. I haven’t played any PC games in [email protected], my main game is PUBG and I prefer the higher frame rate over resolution. Playing PUBG on an 82 inch screen only 12 feet away and with 7.1 surround sound is just a fantastic immersive experience and it really elevates my gameplay (which admittingly isn’t that good haha).

In my opinion, the “weakness” in my TV and my viewing experience has been when watching normal 1080 content from my Verizon FIOS provider. I have the latest 4K boxes and I have set its output to 1080 and let either my receiver (Denon 4500) or my TV upscale the image.
To put it bluntly, the picture quality is mostly just average. There are times when the picture looks pretty good but there are often times when it looks really really bad. I find it really struggles on certain low light or dim scenes. The TV will have what I describe as noise or graininess mainly in the background of a scene but sometimes in the forefront. I have found this quite frequently in many scenes from HBO’s Game Of Thrones that they are currently airing. It is so bad it becomes unwatchable.
It’s not your TV - it’s your Verizon modem. I have the very same TV as you using Xfinity X1 modem and no such problems. Keep in mind that a TV this size will amplify lower resolution and grain, despite the very capable up-scaling. Also know some shows like "Walking Dead" have a horrible grain but my only explanation is that this is intended. E.g. in the commercial break of this show see the picture quality changing from bad/grainy to awesome.
Terminader and QledBeta like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2672 of 5181 Old 04-13-2019, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Park View Post
It’s not your TV - it’s your Verizon modem. I have the very same TV as you using Xfinity X1 modem and no such problems. Keep in mind that a TV this size will amplify lower resolution and grain, despite the very capable up-scaling. Also know some shows like "Walking Dead" have a horrible grain but my only explanation is that this is intended. E.g. in the commercial break of this show see the picture quality changing from bad/grainy to awesome.
People seem to keep missing that this owner finds the image quality on his old 70" LCD to be much better with this same source.

I can plant myself 4 feet from my 50" Kuro and FIOS still looks better on that than it did on my Q90R.

Clean 1080p and 4K are stunning, though.
post #2673 of 5181 Old 04-13-2019, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Upscaled crap on a large high resolution display is unfortunately still going to be crap especially in dark scenes regardless of the manufacturer imo
sd13, South Park and bjorktribe like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2674 of 5181 Old 04-13-2019, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY350Z View Post
I had the same issue with my 900F and Frontier Fios. I had moved and they gave me the new 4K Quantum box and the picture was not very good. I was blaming the TV and then Fios came out and the service guy explained it’s not the TV, they are getting the same complaint from many 4K TV users. Try googling Verizon 4K STB and bad picture. There is an entire forum for this. The solution for me was going back to the Fios legacy box, the Motorola and the picture now is just like I had on my 1080 set. Something is not right with the Arris Fios boxes and some of the other 4K boxes, they need a firmware update to work better with the new 4K TV’s. I went as far as trying a free week of DirecTVNow and the picture was much better than cable with local channels and everything I watch on cable so I knew it wasn’t the TV. It may be worth a try to get an old legacy box from Verizon. I don’t feel it’s the TV.
So I think I am going to alter my opinion on this topic. I believe you are right and thank you for your insight. I think the problem is actually the compressed Verizon FiOS signal. I have been comparing GOT scenes from the live Verizon FIOS HBO channel to that of HBO's Go streaming app available on the TV. The picture quality, in my opinion, is better on the streaming service. I can set brightness and contrast to 50 and even enable contrast enhancer and the image looks really good. If I do that on the Verizon FiOS source, the image looks incredibly bad, especially during dimly lit scenes with candle light.

I need to investigate this further by comparing identical content from FIOS to other streaming apps. But in my early testing so far it is clear that HBO GO’s streaming visuals exceeds my Verizon FiOS HBO feed. I would have never thought that to be true until I saw it for myself. I always thought Verizon FiOS didn't compress their video, but I think maybe I was wrong.
Mikejl, Ted99 and TheQuantumLeaper like this.
post #2675 of 5181 Old 04-13-2019, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 49
So until we get 4K Cable, we will continue to have **** cable resolutions regardless of what TV we buy, correct?
Ted99 likes this.
post #2676 of 5181 Old 04-13-2019, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi everyone. Looking for a bit of help. I currently own an LG C8 and am not impressed with all the dimming features so i am returning it and looking at the Q90R would this be a good move. Want to totally stay away from OLED. Parents have had one 13 months and just noticed some crazy screen burn and nobody wants to know saying "it's customer misuse" another reason why my C8 is going back. Its awesome for movies but that's about it, even then the screen is slightly dull. Anyhooos pulling my hair out choosing new tv as shop is willing to exchange it. Is the Q90 the way to go. Thanks any help from any owners would be greatly appreciated.
post #2677 of 5181 Old 04-13-2019, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 149
2019 Samsung Q90R Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

We stream everything through roku. Cut the cable 2 years ago and will never go back. Stream looks so much better on my TVs then directv. Which is one of the better sources. I use sling to get my ESPN and it is the quality of cable. Meaning it sucks. It’s by far the worst streaming service we have. So long story short. Any bad source blown up on a bigger screen is going to look bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2678 of 5181 Old 04-13-2019, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 1614
Quote:
Originally Posted by superman11 View Post
Still not 100% on these but it’s what I’m going with for now.

Movie Mode
Backlight: 40
Brightness: 0
Contrast: 40
Sharpness: 3
Color: 25

Digital Clean View: Off
Auto Motion: Off
Local Dimming: Standard (Still unsure here, Low looks a little better than High).
Contrast Enhancer: Low
Color Tone: Warm 1
Gamma: 1
Color Space: Native

Our settings seem similar. What were the defaults for Backlight and Color. Not sure if mine are close and don’t want to reset. I feel like Backlight needs to be at 40-45 in this mode due to how dim it can be.

Also, What are you going with for Digital Clean View and local dimming?
Yes, I thought you used mine as they are so close!

Backlight original is 22. Color was 25. Local dimming is Standard and Digital Clean View is auto. I have mine all at those defaults.

2019 82" Q90R, 2016 55" and 65" KS8000, Denon S720 AVR
post #2679 of 5181 Old 04-13-2019, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
anyone with 82" Q90R using Dish network??

Does anyone use Dish Network as one of their viewing sources?

I haven't purchased a QN82Q90R as yet, but I've been getting ready for it with my other sources.
Recently had a problem with my Dish receiver so Dish offered an upgrade to their new 4K "Hopper 3" receiver/DVR and I took it. It records and streams 4K if something is available.

Without having the 82Q90R yet I'm curious how regular Dish 1080P programing will look on it...
post #2680 of 5181 Old 04-13-2019, 10:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1060 Post(s)
Liked: 1027
Quote:
Anyone else using Movie mode for HD viewing? So far, I’m finding it to be the best way to watch Fios without much noise. I do like the Standard settings another user shared a few pages back. But it just doesn’t look as sharp as Movie to the eye test (especially in Dark scenes). Just wish Movie mode wasn’t as dim. Very dark scenes look extremely dark but overall it looks the best. I can share my settings if anyone having issues is interested. Curious to see others Movie mode settings, as I didn’t calibrate for my settings.
There's a workaround to make sdr movie mode way brighter. Set a high backlight level. Then turn local dimming to high. It's going to appear dimmer when paired with a high backlight level. But here's the trick. Go into contrast enhancer. Don't change the setting just click on it and exit back out. Now your sdr movie mode is nice and bright. It resets itself every time you either change the source, power the tv off and on, or change any one of your other settings. It's definitely a bug on this TV where local dimming high works in reverse and actually makes the screen dimmer when it's not supposed to, and clicking on contrast enhancer temporarily fixes it and you get a real local dimming high setting. I'm hoping Samsung fixes this anomaly with local dimming high in sdr movie mode.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #2681 of 5181 Old 04-13-2019, 10:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1060 Post(s)
Liked: 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdkind View Post
People seem to keep missing that this owner finds the image quality on his old 70" LCD to be much better with this same source.

I can plant myself 4 feet from my 50" Kuro and FIOS still looks better on that than it did on my Q90R.

Clean 1080p and 4K are stunning, though.
I bet if you grab a CRT tube TV from the 90s and put it next to your kuro and put on an SD 480i source, the old tube is going to look much better. Same concept applies here with 4k TV's and 1080 content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt0305 View Post
Upscaled crap on a large high resolution display is unfortunately still going to be crap especially in dark scenes regardless of the manufacturer imo
Yep, I've had a z9d, LG c8, ks8000, q9fn, q90r and cable TV quality was pretty much comparable on all of them.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by sd13; 04-13-2019 at 10:13 PM.
post #2682 of 5181 Old 04-13-2019, 10:13 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6395 Post(s)
Liked: 6393
Quote:
Originally Posted by ste1969phen View Post
Hi everyone. Looking for a bit of help. I currently own an LG C8 and am not impressed with all the dimming features so i am returning it and looking at the Q90R would this be a good move. Want to totally stay away from OLED. Parents have had one 13 months and just noticed some crazy screen burn and nobody wants to know saying "it's customer misuse" another reason why my C8 is going back. Its awesome for movies but that's about it, even then the screen is slightly dull. Anyhooos pulling my hair out choosing new tv as shop is willing to exchange it. Is the Q90 the way to go. Thanks any help from any owners would be greatly appreciated.
If you do not like OLED this is about your only move. As of today to try to get as good of a picture as OLED but not be OLED, the answer is Q90R......Used to be Z9D but those are basically gone, well there may be a few around.......
iphilologos likes this.
post #2683 of 5181 Old 04-13-2019, 10:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked: 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobaphx View Post

I haven't purchased a QN82Q90R as yet, but I've been getting ready for it with my other sources.

Recently had a problem with my Dish receiver so Dish offered an upgrade to their new 4K "Hopper 3" receiver/DVR and I took it. It records and streams 4K if something is available.

Without having the 82Q90R yet I'm curious how regular Dish 1080P programing will look on it...

What are you using now? That’s certainly going to factor into what you will see with the new set.

I don’t own a 90R set.

But I’ve been a cable, Directv and Dish user over the last three years. I’ve had both sat companies 4K setups. And I own a Sony Z9D which has excellent video processing. So I’m giving you impressions based on seeing a Hopper 3 on a really good 65” 4K display.

Dish’s HD programming is broadcast as 1440x1080 in 4:3 and then stretched out to 16x9 and output as 1080i/p/4K.

As such, it had a certain softness to it on my 65” Z9D which wasn’t as noticeable as on my 55” Vizio P series in our other room, much like most cable broadcasts. You’ll see green lawns, skies, and other detailed backgrounds lose a lot of detail. Also it can tend to smear and blotch faces. You should be able to see that on your current HD display, and it indeed might be magnified a bit on such a large display.

Since Dish is really broadcasting in “HD lite” I wouldn’t expect it to look fantastic.... really really good. But not fantastic.

I know there has been a lot of comparisons to people feeling that these type of sources looks worse on their new displays.... but I would also surmise (with not disrespect to anyone’s first hand experiences) that we’ve now all experienced stunning 4K HDR production and sources and it’s just now that we’re seeing how “compromised” cable and Dish broadcasts really are. For some it seems as if these providers are providing sub par 4K STB solutions and older boxes are providing a more “pure” experience... the Hopper 3 is definitely as good as a box as I’ve seen from Dish or Directv... I would just have realistic expectations.
post #2684 of 5181 Old 04-13-2019, 11:09 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 32
W/O reading through 90 pages, is the Q90r $800 better than the Q9FN?
post #2685 of 5181 Old 04-14-2019, 12:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigolyt View Post
W/O reading through 90 pages, is the Q90r $800 better than the Q9FN?
As I had both and still own a 75"q9fn, in my opinion yes.
post #2686 of 5181 Old 04-14-2019, 04:23 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobaphx View Post

I have the q90 75 with Dish Hopper 3 and I have no issue with the way it looks.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Terminader likes this.
post #2687 of 5181 Old 04-14-2019, 07:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFlo View Post
So until we get 4K Cable, we will continue to have **** cable resolutions regardless of what TV we buy, correct?
Yes and No. It depends what quality they are feeding, even on UHD Disc a lousy authored content doesn't make it look or sound good even on an up to date high end TV/Home Theater setup, there are many examples like for instance recent Disney UHD discs having a ridiculous low dynamic sound, it sounds ok if you have a soundbar but with a sophisticated home theater setup it was so embarrassing bad I immediately sold my Black Panther SteelBoock on eBay, never wanted to watch this movie again on this ridiculously authored disc.

So to answer your question, even a Five-Star Chef (here TV) cannot make a quality meal out of poor ingredients, he certainly can make a decent meal but not an excellent one.
Terminader likes this.

post #2688 of 5181 Old 04-14-2019, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Park View Post
Yes and No. It depends what quality they are feeding, even on UHD Disc a lousy authored content doesn't make it look or sound good even on an up to date high end TV/Home Theater setup, there are many examples like for instance recent Disney UHD discs having a ridiculous low dynamic sound, it sounds ok if you have a soundbar but with a sophisticated home theater setup it was so embarrassing bad I immediately sold my Black Panther SteelBoock on eBay, never wanted to watch this movie again on this ridiculously authored disc.

So to answer your question, even a Five-Star Chef (here TV) cannot make a quality meal out of poor ingredients, he certainly can make a decent meal but not an excellent one.
Good points. Another good example is 4k broadcasts in the US. If you are watching a Fox Sports origination, it was very likely sourced with 4k cameras and processing all the way to your viewing. If it's NBC Sports, it's very liked captured with HD cameras and upscaled to 4k before you view it.

When DirecTV shows either of those broadcasts on one of its 4k channels, you are watching 4k. However, look a little closer. The detail and picture quality of the Fox Sports 4k is much better than NBC Sports even though both are 'branded' as 4k. This affects motion quality as well.

"NBC is delivering every Fighting Irish home game this season in 4K HDR (games are produced in the truck in 1080p HD, then upconverted to 4K HDR for distribution exclusively to AT&T’s DirecTV subscribers), marking the first multigame football package to be produced in HDR and the most significant commitment to next-gen technology by any U.S. broadcaster to date."

https://www.sportsvideo.org/2018/09/...dame-football/

https://hometheaterreview.com/whats-...-broadcast-4k/

South Park likes this.
post #2689 of 5181 Old 04-14-2019, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I know a lot of folks have been waiting for Vincent Teoh's (HDTVTest) Q90R review. He tweeted yesterday "My Samsung Q90R review has been delayed because a new firmware has landed, so I need to retest everything. Thanks for your patience!" Someone else tweeted in response "Any little teaser, Q90R>Q9FN...?" and Vincent responded "Yes." Which nobody should find surprising, as owners here have made that very clear, but still nice to hear from Vincent.
Terminader and Keithian like this.
post #2690 of 5181 Old 04-14-2019, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
He tweeted yesterday "My Samsung Q90R review has been delayed because a new firmware has landed
That's interesting, there's not a newer on on Samsung's site, and my TV says there's not a newer update. I guess he's received a preliminary one from Samsung?
Keithian likes this.
post #2691 of 5181 Old 04-14-2019, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
I know a lot of folks have been waiting for Vincent Teoh's (HDTVTest) Q90R review. He tweeted yesterday "My Samsung Q90R review has been delayed because a new firmware has landed, so I need to retest everything. Thanks for your patience!" Someone else tweeted in response "Any little teaser, Q90R>Q9FN...?" and Vincent responded "Yes." Which nobody should find surprising, as owners here have made that very clear, but still nice to hear from Vincent.
Oh damn it. Thanks for update though. What’s his Twitter?
post #2692 of 5181 Old 04-14-2019, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminader View Post
Quote:
Still not 100% on these but it’s what I’m going with for now.

Movie Mode
Backlight: 40
Brightness: 0
Contrast: 40
Sharpness: 3
Color: 25

Digital Clean View: Off
Auto Motion: Off
Local Dimming: Standard (Still unsure here, Low looks a little better than High).
Contrast Enhancer: Low
Color Tone: Warm 1
Gamma: 1
Color Space: Native

Our settings seem similar. What were the defaults for Backlight and Color. Not sure if mine are close and don’t want to reset. I feel like Backlight needs to be at 40-45 in this mode due to how dim it can be.

Also, What are you going with for Digital Clean View and local dimming?
Yes, I thought you used mine as they are so close!

Backlight original is 22. Color was 25. Local dimming is Standard and Digital Clean View is auto. I have mine all at those defaults.

With those same settings, the picture is far too dim. But a higher backlight and Local Dimming in High works pretty well for me. That trick sd13 posted also helps a little.

For digital clean view, I’ve done a bunch of testing and auto kills all the background detail. It almost creates a bokeh effect and blurs those details. Low and Off doesn’t do this and look the same so I’ve just be keeping it off. It’s hard to tell on certain scenes but give it a few tries.
post #2693 of 5181 Old 04-14-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskgordon View Post
Oh damn it. Thanks for update though. What’s his Twitter?
https://twitter.com/vincent_teoh
post #2694 of 5181 Old 04-14-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
That's interesting, there's not a newer on on Samsung's site, and my TV says there's not a newer update. I guess he's received a preliminary one from Samsung?
I recalled seeing a recent post from someone in Germany I think also saying there was a firmware update. I took a peek and it looks like there was an update released for Europe models on 4/11: https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/QE65Q90RATXXU/. I think Vincent is UK-based. Not sure why the update went to Europe market first?
post #2695 of 5181 Old 04-14-2019, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post
What are you using now? That’s certainly going to factor into what you will see with the new set.

I don’t own a 90R set.

But I’ve been a cable, Directv and Dish user over the last three years. I’ve had both sat companies 4K setups. And I own a Sony Z9D which has excellent video processing. So I’m giving you impressions based on seeing a Hopper 3 on a really good 65” 4K display.

Dish’s HD programming is broadcast as 1440x1080 in 4:3 and then stretched out to 16x9 and output as 1080i/p/4K.

As such, it had a certain softness to it on my 65” Z9D which wasn’t as noticeable as on my 55” Vizio P series in our other room, much like most cable broadcasts. You’ll see green lawns, skies, and other detailed backgrounds lose a lot of detail. Also it can tend to smear and blotch faces. You should be able to see that on your current HD display, and it indeed might be magnified a bit on such a large display.

Since Dish is really broadcasting in “HD lite” I wouldn’t expect it to look fantastic.... really really good. But not fantastic.

I know there has been a lot of comparisons to people feeling that these type of sources looks worse on their new displays.... but I would also surmise (with not disrespect to anyone’s first hand experiences) that we’ve now all experienced stunning 4K HDR production and sources and it’s just now that we’re seeing how “compromised” cable and Dish broadcasts really are. For some it seems as if these providers are providing sub par 4K STB solutions and older boxes are providing a more “pure” experience... the Hopper 3 is definitely as good as a box as I’ve seen from Dish or Directv... I would just have realistic expectations.
I'm still using my 60" Pioneer 600M until I get my 82" Q90R.

Dish Hopper 3 looks great on my Pioneer 600M of course.
post #2696 of 5181 Old 04-14-2019, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
sorry if this has already been discussed
Can someone tell me if a narrow, thin plastic (at least it looks like a plastic) strip on the screen along the bottom edge, like on 2018 models, has survived on this model? I noticed it in the store on last year's models, but maybe this is a film element that needs to be removed from the screen, or is it something else? Or maybe it is completely absent on the Q90?
I would appreciate if someone can answer this question. Thank!
post #2697 of 5181 Old 04-14-2019, 01:20 PM

It’s time!

sd13, Terminader, ray0414 and 2 others like this.

Last edited by EdFlo; 04-14-2019 at 01:27 PM.
post #2698 of 5181 Old 04-14-2019, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It’s time!

That looks like an electronic party!

post #2699 of 5181 Old 04-14-2019, 01:34 PM

http://i63.tinypic.com/w0iz41.jpg

Idk if my images are posting.
post #2700 of 5181 Old 04-14-2019, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
http://i63.tinypic.com/w0iz41.jpg

Idk if my images are posting.
The one in the forum posted better than the link for me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page