2019 Samsung Q90R Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 92 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4546Likes

post #2731 of 6398 Old 04-15-2019, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3053 Post(s)
Liked: 3762
^nothing wrong with bias lights, I use them with my oleds as well for eye strain.
Mikejl, sd13 and QledBeta like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2732 of 6398 Old 04-15-2019, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGGy View Post
I guess my thoughts would be is that if your eyes are hurting turn down the overall average output of the TV not add more light so the brightness never gets below a certain level. If the screen is that bright that often your eyes will never allow you to see very dark detail removing one of the big features of the TV. Your essentially lowering the view-able contrast by using bias lighting.

Thanks for info... to me it seems like using bias lighting is basically healing a self inflicted wound. I would just stop hurting myself...
Just remember this is your opinion and is not representative of anyone elses eyes or what they see with bias lighting.

Last edited by Cam1977; 04-15-2019 at 01:28 PM.
post #2733 of 6398 Old 04-15-2019, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
Just remember this is your opinion and is not representative of anyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myself
Originally Posted by SiGGy
I guess my thoughts would be is that if your eyes are hurting turn down the overall average output of the TV not add more light so the brightness never gets below a certain level. If the screen is that bright that often your eyes will never allow you to see very dark detail removing one of the big features of the TV. Your essentially lowering the view-able contrast by using bias lighting.

Thanks for info... to me it seems like using bias lighting is basically healing a self inflicted wound. I would just stop hurting myself...
1) My wording already indicates this *highlighted above*. Indicated by "my thoughts" and "to me". :whyme:
2) You have no idea what anyone else thinks
3) thank you CO

Let move this back on topic
Terminader and Lyner like this.

Last edited by SiGGy; 04-15-2019 at 01:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2734 of 6398 Old 04-15-2019, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithian View Post
I think the thing is, that this whole discussion 100 posts ago started with someone where him and his wife are disappointed in the quality of the SD pictures from his cable coming from a non-4K TV for years.. It may be a setting, it may not. Everyone has a different view of what 'fantastic' means (a word many are using) and it all depends on how ones brain interprets that and what TV someone had (in addition to possible settings). I think the reality is that these 4K TVs regardless of the brand and regardless of the SD source may just not look as good to someone who came from a good non 4K TV. Anyway, hoping as SD stated that the way my brain frames the word 'fantastic' is better for youtubetv when watching shows like Greys Anatomy or the CW is better than what I see on my Q9FN and at least as good as my 2011 Elite (which may not be possible since that was a non 4K TV) :-). An even better solution which is the direction I continue to head in is to stop watching horrible sources :-).
Heya, I have made more than one tv upgrade without the right source material available and felt like I took a hit in picture quality. I really think now is a great time for the Q90r, 4K tech and standards have matured and stabilized(and the curved screen gimmick died and went to hell where it belongs). There are ample sources for 4k hdr material and 8k may not take off because the limits of human vision have been reached. You made a good purchase that should be top notch viewing for quite some time. Upgrade your viewing material and enjoy... unless the wife hates it, then you return the demon box from whence it came!
post #2735 of 6398 Old 04-15-2019, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGGy View Post
1) My wording already indicates this *highlighted above*. Indicated by "my thoughts" and "to me". :whyme:
2) You have no idea what anyone else thinks
3) thank you CO

Let move this back on topic
I stand by my response fella, but your right lets get back on topic.
Terminader and ray0414 like this.
post #2736 of 6398 Old 04-15-2019, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked: 1077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
I stand by my response fella, but your right lets get back on topic.
Sticking to the topic of q90r ownership is a tall order around here.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #2737 of 6398 Old 04-15-2019, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Hi guys
this is in Spanish,have a look at the 21st minute mark,and please tell me,is that normal?

leonispain likes this.

Last edited by 3dprojector; 04-15-2019 at 03:00 PM.
post #2738 of 6398 Old 04-15-2019, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikejl View Post
I don't have the Harmony remote, but you should be able to use the codes for Q9FN until they have the Q90R codes available.

Also, what would make the 75" codes any different than the 65 or 82"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by haroon08 View Post
Didn't try to Q9 codes but I will try it tonight when i get home. Not sure what makes the codes different but for whatever reason the 82"Q90 codes didnt work.

I have the Harmony remote and the 65 inch Q90. The Q9 codes almost all work. The only problem is with the arrow keys when in the home menu or in the channel list. Then one press of an arrow key gives a movement of two positions (like you pressed the key twice). In the apps, the arrow keys work as expected - one press gives a movement of one position.
Mikejl likes this.
post #2739 of 6398 Old 04-15-2019, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dprojector View Post
Hi guys
this is in Spanish,have a look at the 21st minute mark,and please tell me,is that normal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNQiUFB4mqE&t=141s
I didn't see anything like that during normal program material, but I only used window test patterns during my calibration, so maybe it would've been more noticeable on a full field grey pattern. It's also likely the camera is exaggerating the effect.

What I do see on the full field white pattern are the blue bands top and bottom that I saw on my display. Not that noticeable on most content, but sticks out quite readily on B&W material.

My return arrived at Samsung today, but I'm feeling less confident about ordering another Q90R now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-04-15 18.32.06.png
Views:	152
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	2553434  
leonispain likes this.
post #2740 of 6398 Old 04-15-2019, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Sorry if this was posted already, my first time seeing it.

https://www.gamereactor.eu/grtv/4370...+-+Quick+Look/
post #2741 of 6398 Old 04-15-2019, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Hi guys
The flashing / brightness spikes is the camera reacting to changes in the amount of light in the scene it is recording.

Last edited by StevieG; 04-15-2019 at 03:57 PM.
post #2742 of 6398 Old 04-15-2019, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6689 Post(s)
Liked: 6685
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
Sticking to the topic of q90r ownership is a tall order around here.
There is always going to be comparison talk, without it , probably would get boring......
Lyner likes this.
post #2743 of 6398 Old 04-15-2019, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdkind View Post
I didn't see anything like that during normal program material, but I only used window test patterns during my calibration, so maybe it would've been more noticeable on a full field grey pattern. It's also likely the camera is exaggerating the effect.

What I do see on the full field white pattern are the blue bands top and bottom that I saw on my display. Not that noticeable on most content, but sticks out quite readily on B&W material.

My return arrived at Samsung today, but I'm feeling less confident about ordering another Q90R now.
Good afternoon friend, sorry for my English I'm from Spain. (I'm using Google Translate)

I'm the guy from the Youtube video, the spot in the gray is from the overlay of the camera, actually the panel is pretty good, much better than my old Q9FN

The white color is very uniform and there are no bands, the camera exacerbates the defect ...

The television has very little DSE, but very little, I am very happy with the panel and I am looking forward to bring me the C9 that I bought to make a great comparison for my channel ....

It's a pleasure to be in this great forum of professionals, I'm just an amateur.

A hug from Spain to all.
StevieG, Mikejl, marmup and 5 others like this.
post #2744 of 6398 Old 04-15-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Hi guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNQiUFB4mqE&t=141s
Good afternoon friend, sorry for my English I'm from Spain. (I'm using Google Translate)

I'm the guy from the Youtube video, the spot in the gray is from the overlay of the camera, actually the panel is pretty good, much better than my old Q9FN

The white color is very uniform and there are no bands, the camera exacerbates the defect ...

The television has very little DSE, but very little, I am very happy with the panel and I am looking forward to bring me the C9 that I bought to make a great comparison for my channel ....

It's a pleasure to be in this great forum of professionals, I'm just an amateur.

A hug from Spain to all.
Mikejl, Hawkmoon, sd13 and 5 others like this.
post #2745 of 6398 Old 04-15-2019, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by gschroeder View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikejl View Post
I don't have the Harmony remote, but you should be able to use the codes for Q9FN until they have the Q90R codes available.

Also, what would make the 75" codes any different than the 65 or 82"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by haroon08 View Post
Didn't try to Q9 codes but I will try it tonight when i get home. Not sure what makes the codes different but for whatever reason the 82"Q90 codes didnt work.

I have the Harmony remote and the 65 inch Q90. The Q9 codes almost all work. The only problem is with the arrow keys when in the home menu or in the channel list. Then one press of an arrow key gives a movement of two positions (like you pressed the key twice). In the apps, the arrow keys work as expected - one press gives a movement of one position.
I use a Harmony remote as well with my Q80 and the codes for the Q8FN work fine so the codes for the Q9FN should work for you.

As for the problem with the arrow keys when in the home menu moving 2 positions with one press, I had the same issue. You need to go into the My Harmony app and Change Device Settings and adjust the inter key delay settings I think. That fixed it for me. No more double movements in the menu.

Unfortunately I'm on vacation right now and can't confirm the exact setting to adjust but the My Harmony app does a decent job explaining what each delay setting does.
StevieG likes this.
post #2746 of 6398 Old 04-15-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
Quote:
Hi guys
The flashing / brightness spikes is the camera reacting to changes in the amount of light in the scene it is recording.
I am the boy of the video, you are completely right friend, Thank you
TheQuantumLeaper likes this.
post #2747 of 6398 Old 04-15-2019, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruc3L3r0y View Post
I use a Harmony remote as well with my Q80 and the codes for the Q8FN work fine so the codes for the Q9FN should work for you.

As for the problem with the arrow keys when in the home menu moving 2 positions with one press, I had the same issue. You need to go into the My Harmony app and Change Device Settings and adjust the inter key delay settings I think. That fixed it for me. No more double movements in the menu.

Unfortunately I'm on vacation right now and can't confirm the exact setting to adjust but the My Harmony app does a decent job explaining what each delay setting does.

Thank you! This solved the problem.
Mikejl likes this.
post #2748 of 6398 Old 04-15-2019, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonispain View Post

A hug from Spain to all.
I'm a fan of your channel even though I don't speak your language. Your videos are of really good quality. In your opinion, how is the contrast compared to last year? Everybody is impatiently waiting for the official review contrast ratio numbers to come in, and some people think that contrast is way down this year. In your professional opinion, is there a drop in overall contrast ratio and color volume from last year's model?

iphilologos and ray0414 like this.
post #2749 of 6398 Old 04-15-2019, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:

A hug from Spain to all.
me too,though I don't think you are
thanks.
It's great to have someone like you here,one who is willing to share his experience with others.
leonispain likes this.

Last edited by 3dprojector; 04-15-2019 at 05:07 PM.
post #2750 of 6398 Old 04-15-2019, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:

A hug from Spain to all.
Thanks for your video and for coming here to explain it.

Would you mind playing some black & white material as a test? Twilight Zone, Andy Griffith, old monster movies, whatever.
iphilologos likes this.
post #2751 of 6398 Old 04-15-2019, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anyone having issues getting ARC to work? I have a denon 3500H and can’t get ARC to work. Tv is set to HDMI 3 and ARC is on but no sound is going though
post #2752 of 6398 Old 04-15-2019, 10:27 PM

Mentioned: 260 Post(s)
Quoted: 12691 Post(s)
Liked: 11951
Quote:
Originally Posted by huttyhawk View Post
haven’t played any PC games in [email protected], my main game is PUBG and I prefer the higher frame rate over resolution. Playing PUBG on an 82 inch screen only 12 feet away and with 7.1 surround sound is just a fantastic immersive experience and it really elevates my gameplay (which admittingly isn’t that good haha).

In my opinion, the “weakness” in my TV and my viewing experience has been when watching normal 1080 content from my Verizon FIOS provider. I have the latest 4K boxes and I have set its output to 1080 and let either my receiver (Denon 4500) or my TV upscale the image.
To put it bluntly, the picture quality is mostly just average. There are times when the picture looks pretty good but there are often times when it looks really really bad. I find it really struggles on certain low light or dim scenes. The TV will have what I describe as noise or graininess mainly in the background of a scene but sometimes in the forefront. I have found this quite frequently in many scenes from HBO’s Game Of Thrones that they are currently airing. It is so bad it becomes unwatchable.
I have tried every setting or combination thereof but to no avail. I find that enabling contrast enhancer or disabling digital clean view further diminishes the picture quality in those scenes in which it struggles.
I use the following settings to make it the best that it can which like I said before isn’t that great:

Picture Mode Standard
Backlight 26
Brightness 0
Contrast 36
Sharpness 0
Color 23
Tint 0
Digital Clean and Automotion AUTO
Local Dimming High
Contrast Enhancer Off
Color Tone Warm1
BT.1886 0
Color Space Native

I’ve tried having my AVR upscale the picture to 4K, having the TV upscale it, and even the Verizon FIOS box. I’ve switched HDMI cables an even switched AVR’s. But nothing really helps.

I am posting here to tell about my experience, I have heard others mention issues with this and was wondering if they were still experiencing these issues and if not what they did to make their viewing experience better.

Returning this TV is an incredibly hard decision for me because I love this TV so much when viewing 4KHDR content and gaming but at the end of the day when I am watching normal content and my TV picture looks worse than my 10 year old 70 inch Sharp Aquous TV I simply cannot justify having this TV at its price. I really wanted to have this TV for a long time but now I am trying to figure what I am going to do if and when I return it. My return window comes to an end in another 9 days, so I do have a little time.
I could try again with another 82 Q90R but I highly doubt that it would make a difference. I was thinking maybe I could save some money and getting a Q8N or 900F and then wait a few more years before buying another high-end TV.

Jumping up 12" Will definitely expose lots of picture flaws on crappy sources. Also going from 1080p to 4k will do the same. So it's a double whammy. No way to avoid this on ANY TV in 2019 when you go up 12".

my dad's 55" RCA 1080p TV has a better cable TV picture than my 75Q9FN. think I should ask him to trade? LMAO
Mikejl, sd13 and Terminader like this.

82Q90R*75Q9FN(RIP)*55C8OLED*Galaxy Note10+*Ub820 fed into Oppo 203*XB1X*4k DenonX4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN

Last edited by ray0414; 04-15-2019 at 11:05 PM.
post #2753 of 6398 Old 04-15-2019, 10:59 PM

Mentioned: 260 Post(s)
Quoted: 12691 Post(s)
Liked: 11951
I also want to add that I've seen professions on these forums such as Stacey Spears from spectracal Comment on some behind the scenes things that he knows (that we don't).

1. larger tvs expose more flaws. doesn't matter how far or close you get to smaller tvs or to the larger tvs, the larger tvs will always show flaws not seen on smaller tvs.

2. brighter tvs also expose more flaws in the picture. when colorists and filmmakers are checking their work for issues, they turn up the brightness on the monitors to check for flaws/mistakes in their work. so as tvs get brighter, we also see more flaws that way also, especially on those garbage compressed sources. extra brightness also exposes grain too which again canake an ugly source look even uglier.

75Q9FN* Oppo 203/UB820*S10+*DenonX4200
sd13, Terminader and bjorktribe like this.

82Q90R*75Q9FN(RIP)*55C8OLED*Galaxy Note10+*Ub820 fed into Oppo 203*XB1X*4k DenonX4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN

Last edited by ray0414; 04-15-2019 at 11:24 PM.
post #2754 of 6398 Old 04-16-2019, 12:25 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Anybody having owned both the Q9FN and the Q90R think the black bars is less black on the new Q90R compared to the Q9FN? If you look at the video from our Spanish friend, it looks like the black bars are a lighten up by the content, more than I rembember the Q9FN would.

Having owned both TVs myself I think to remember the Q9FN´s black bar had a deeper black compared to the Q90R. However, switching from Movie mode to Natural seems to make the bars more black on the Q90R, any logic reason? Also it seems the lower black bar has a deeper black than the upper bar.
post #2755 of 6398 Old 04-16-2019, 12:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm shocked nobody has noticed the major local dimming bug in Hdr standard mode when using the built in apps, dark scenes very bloomy. Setting local dimming in Hdr standard mode to medium fixes it in the built in apps but then makes external sources too dark.

Last edited by sd13; 04-16-2019 at 12:31 AM.
post #2756 of 6398 Old 04-16-2019, 12:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecco View Post
Anybody having owned both the Q9FN and the Q90R think the black bars is less black on the new Q90R compared to the Q9FN? If you look at the video from our Spanish friend, it looks like the black bars are a lighten up by the content, more than I rembember the Q9FN would.

Having owned both TVs myself I think to remember the Q9FN´s black bar had a deeper black compared to the Q90R. However, switching from Movie mode to Natural seems to make the bars more black on the Q90R, any logic reason? Also it seems the lower black bar has a deeper black than the upper bar.
The washing out of one of the bars in that video is from the camera exposure. You say you are experiencing the same but that is definitely out of the ordinary.

leonispain likes this.
post #2757 of 6398 Old 04-16-2019, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Tonight's episode of game of thrones looked pretty damn sick on the q90r....But but but...what about the "many complaints" on poor contrast on the q90r???

Tried your standard mode settings and took this pic. Not quite the same , might need some adjustings. Doesn´t it seems a bit to dark, maybe its the gamma going to -2?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2464.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	700.0 KB
ID:	2553626  
post #2758 of 6398 Old 04-16-2019, 02:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Tried your standard mode settings and took this pic. Not quite the same , might need some adjustings. Doesn´t it seems a bit to dark, maybe its the gamma going to -2?
Your source looks completely different. Are you sure you are watching it on the HBO go app? If you're watching it on your cable box it won't look nearly as good.

post #2759 of 6398 Old 04-16-2019, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Your source looks completely different. Are you sure you are watching it on the HBO go app? If you're watching it on your cable box it won't look nearly as good.

Its the HBO app to Samsung Tizen. Dont know if its called HBO go?
post #2760 of 6398 Old 04-16-2019, 02:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by QledBeta View Post
How are you enjoying the Q90R so far? Do you use bias lighting? What mode and settings do you use? Just curious to know what everyone is using. Enjoy!
They are only just trickling in the stores over here (in Europe), I checked last week and there were none but I see it's now in stock nearby. The current Samsung promo is useless (free Formula 1 weekend tickets for a Grand Prix in Austria, 'only' 750 miles from here) so at the minimum waiting for something better (aka the usual cashback promo; pre-order this year was a soundbar promo). Also waiting for some more release dates: 55Q950R (55Q90R has 240 zones instead of 480, down from the 320 on the 55Q9FN), Panasonic OLED and Philips models (the latter two will support both Dolby Vision and HDR10+).

But one thing's for sure: it won't be in Standard or Natural mode. Had a suspicion somewhere last year or the year before that John Archer wasn't reviewing his sets after doing a calibration but 'people' couldn't believe it (on the UK AV Forums) but at least he is now, and for the past few reviews, open about it. He even reviewed a Philips OLED in his most prefered of the presets Vivid mode (granted the Philips won best picture in a shootout of Vivid presets but 90% of that is down to how horribly inaccurate and overprocessed it is on other models. And the shootout was hosted by Philips who picked out the demo clips, one in particular that was used for motion tripped up the other sets motion interpolation).
I get why you would use it from time to time (well a more 'pop' setting with at least adjusted color tone setting), it greatly enhances old material for example and maybe SD cable (which I don't have, 90% is HD), but I certainly wouldn't use it as the main preset.

Oh yeah: I have the Medialight Eclipse for bias lighting. If you don't have it wall-mounted it will suffice for up to a 65" set it was mentioned. Philips Ambilight is a nice feature for non-critical viewing. Gaming, action movies, sports but otherwise coloured bias lighting affects your image perception ... [it can also get quite annoying after a while, the dynamic Ambilight].

Quote:
You took the pic in the daytime?

Last edited by mithras1; 04-16-2019 at 03:24 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page