Vizio P Series or TCL 6 Series - Best 65inch TV? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes
  • 2 Post By rockaway1836
  • 1 Post By Jim CL
  • 2 Post By Devedander
  • 2 Post By Javelin
  • 1 Post By TheNameIsSam
  • 2 Post By MrBobb
  • 1 Post By lucacow

post #1 of 27 Old 03-03-2019, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Vizio P Series or TCL 6 Series - Best 65inch TV?

I'm assisting a friend in getting the best 65 inch tv he can afford. The Vizio is available at Costco, the TCL at Best Buy, same price. Which is the better tv in terms of picture quality? Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 03-03-2019, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim CL View Post
I'm assisting a friend in getting the best 65 inch tv he can afford. The Vizio is available at Costco, the TCL at Best Buy, same price. Which is the better tv in terms of picture quality? Thanks for any help.

I don’t have any experience with the Vizio P, and l regard it as a fine set, but l do have experience with the TCL and it is an outstanding performer. If it’s on sale at 65”, to me it seems like a no brainer at 65”, add to that Costco’s available warranties, l’d opt for that. If he is a serious gamer, then perhaps other sets can be considered as the 6 series is a 60hz panel. I believe the Vizio PQ65 is superior to the TCL 6, but it is much more expensive.

We are far removed from the days of awesome Trinitron CRT TVs, where a warranty was not as important, at least in my experience. My 95 27” Trinitron TV still works like a champ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by lucacow; 03-03-2019 at 01:19 PM.
post #3 of 27 Old 03-03-2019, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 228
I own a 2016 Vizio 65 inch P seires, and a 55 inch TCL 6 series. My vote would be for the TCL.
lucacow and sk373 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 03-03-2019, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucacow View Post
I don’t have any experience with the Vizio P, and l regard it as a fine set, but l do have experience with the TCL and it is an outstanding performer. If it’s on sale at 65”, to me it seems like a no brainer at 65”, add to that Costco’s available warranties, l’d opt for that. If he is a serious gamer, then perhaps other sets can be considered as the 6 series is a 60hz panel. I believe the Vizio PQ65 is superior to the TCL 6, but it is much more expensive.

We are far removed from the days of awesome Trinitron CRT TVs, where a warranty was not as important, at least in my experience. My 95 27” Trinitron TV still works like a champ.

Thanks for your thoughts. You may have misunderstood me, though. The TCL 6 is only available at Best Buy, not Costco. So the preferred Costco warranties,etc. would only apply to the Vizio.

And, as far as the Vizio being much more expensive, it is exactly the same price as the TCL. The specific model that the Costco in my area, has, is the P65-F.
lucacow likes this.

Last edited by Jim CL; 03-03-2019 at 02:19 PM.
post #5 of 27 Old 03-03-2019, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1680 Post(s)
Liked: 993
Personally I would go with Vizio and the fact that you get serious perks buying from Costco makes it a very easy decision.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #6 of 27 Old 03-03-2019, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I got the TCL for $799 from Best Buy. 4K programming is great on it. Sports could be be better. I really like the Roku OS on the TCL. It seems that the Vizio does not have the best smart platform. I have never seen a Vizio outside of a store, but it does have a 120hz panel. If it was 899 with a better OS I probably would have bought that instead. I did buy the Square Trade warranty through Costco, which is much cheaper that Best Buy’s protection. Good Luck!
post #7 of 27 Old 03-03-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your thoughts. You may have misunderstood me, though. The TCL 6 is only available at Best Buy, not Costco. So the preferred Costco warranties,etc. would only apply to the Vizio.

And, as far as the Vizio being much more expensive, it is exactly the same price as the TCL. The specific model that the Costco in my area, has, is the P65-F.

Oops. Sorry, l meant to “add” the perks of the Costco warranty to the Vizio. If they are the same price it is truly a toss up. But l meant the “PQ” as much more expensive, unless Costco has the PQ65 at the same price as the TCL 6, in that case l’d go with the Vizio in a heartbeat.

post #8 of 27 Old 03-03-2019, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 107
For a consumer who needs to ask a friend for opinion, I'd go for what Costco sells, as we all know has the most liberal return-no-asked policy. TCL6 (probably most talked-about TV of 2018), am surprised anybody need to ask by now, has heavy caviats, and risk must born by consumer himself, not a third party.
post #9 of 27 Old 03-03-2019, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post
For a consumer who needs to ask a friend for opinion, I'd go for what Costco sells, as we all know has the most liberal return-no-asked policy. TCL6 (probably most talked-about TV of 2018), am surprised anybody need to ask by now, has heavy caviats, and risk must born by consumer himself, not a third party.
I've simply read the rave reviews that the TCL 6 Series has been getting. Clearly you know more about them. Can you enlighten me on the "caveats and risk that must be borne by the consumer himself"? It would appear I am lacking some key information about potential/existing issues?
post #10 of 27 Old 03-03-2019, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 39
The perks buying from Costco far outweigh the minor differences between the sets.
post #11 of 27 Old 03-03-2019, 11:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've simply read the rave reviews that the TCL 6 Series has been getting. Clearly you know more about them.
Well I was hoping you draw your own conclusions after reading all those posts...

TCL6 gist is: Great potential but you are playing panel/quality roulette. Got features only available on TV costing 2x as much, but oftentimes (from past reviews) people have gotten dirty screen effects, banding, ununiformity etc right out of the box forcing them to return immediately, another half say they are fine. So as a consumer who's interested in the TCL6, you have to be willing to immediately put the TV to its paces, know what you looking at, know what's acceptable/unacceptable, then return before the return period expires, reason I paid extra to buy from Walmart (90 days) vs BB (15 days not enough). Bottom line, this TV appeals to the techie who can weight the pluses and minuses.

I kept mine, but after becoming fully aware of the risks.

Last edited by MrBobb; 03-03-2019 at 11:34 PM.
post #12 of 27 Old 03-04-2019, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 100

In my opinion the Vizio p series has unacceptable local dimming. It causes all kinds of highly visible image artifacts on pretty much any panning shot.

While everything else about the p series was better than the 6 series at the end of the day that was a deal breaker since the main point of these TV's it's to be local dimming sets with good image quality.

If you can find a way to do so watch the opening scene of lost in space on Netflix on the Vizio with local dimming off then on

If what happens to the lights at the top of the screen doesn't bother you when the camera pans with local dimming on get the p series.

If it does know that your will encounter that effect fairly regularly.

ganzhimself and srkmish like this.

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D

Gaming and VR videos: www.youtube.com/user/Devedander

Last edited by Devedander; 03-04-2019 at 06:28 AM.
post #13 of 27 Old 03-04-2019, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I'd go for the TCL! Sounds like your friend isn't a videophile so he's not going to be nitpicking the panel and looking for every little flaw.

The average person who buys this TV is very happy with it!
lucacow and srkmish like this.
post #14 of 27 Old 03-04-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
I'd go for the TCL! Sounds like your friend isn't a videophile so he's not going to be nitpicking the panel and looking for every little flaw.

The average person who buys this TV is very happy with it!

This, every thread on this forum has a semblance of panel lottery, jail bars, dse (except the ZF9 ), Banding, crush, etc, etc...

There are millions enjoying their sets and they don’t even focus on these flaws if present. Sounds like your buddy will be more than satisfied by either choice.

The previous point stated on Walmart vs. BB return policies is sound advice..

post #15 of 27 Old 03-04-2019, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Another vote for the TCL.

Twice I've cross shopped the TCL and Vizio and twice I've chosen the TCL.

Last year, when I purchased the 65" 6 Series, I chose it over the Vizio for a couple reasons.

• It was cheaper than the Vizio.
  • It had significantly lower lag input than the Vizio.
  • All HDMI ports offered similar low lag input
  • It has more dimming zones than the Vizio.
  • It upscales better than the Vizio (according the reviews)
  • Roku OS

Last month, I purchased the 75" 6 Series over the Vizio for the almost the same reasons as the 65.

• Great experience with the 65".
  • (Slightly) Less lag input.
  • More dimming zones.
  • Happy with the upscaling from the 65".
  • Roku OS

The 75" Vizio went on sale ($100 cheaper than the TCL) after I purchased my TV. I can still return the TCL, but being 100% happy with it, I don't think the risk and trouble of returning the TV is worth it.
srkmish likes this.

TV: TCL 75R615
Reciever: Onkyo TX-NR787 running in a 5.4.4 configuration
Speakers: Polk T Series
Subwoofers: Dual SVS PB12-NSD and dual SVS PB-1000.
Gaming Systems: PlayStation 4 Pro and Nintendo Switch.
post #16 of 27 Old 03-04-2019, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This, every thread on this forum has a semblance of panel lottery, jail bars, dse (except the ZF9 ), Banding, crush, etc, etc...
True enough, even to the consternation of a new buyer.

TCL6 reviews though have an outside amount of negatives, and seems bad, until you realize lots of reviews=large sampling size=more accurate review.

Boy we can start a another thread on How to interpret reviews.
lucacow and srkmish like this.
post #17 of 27 Old 03-11-2019, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

My friend is about to purchase the tv. However, last night, he called me up and said, "so many people are saying I should be buying a Samsung, why shouldn't I do that again?"

In the end, he will still go whichever way I advise him to. In the interim, though, I've read several extremely positive reviews of the Samsung NU8000, which goes for the same money as the Vizio and TCL, and is available at my local Costco. Any reason to also consider that as an option?
post #18 of 27 Old 03-12-2019, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
My friend is about to purchase the tv. However, last night, he called me up and said, "so many people are saying I should be buying a Samsung, why shouldn't I do that again?"

In the end, he will still go whichever way I advise him to. In the interim, though, I've read several extremely positive reviews of the Samsung NU8000, which goes for the same money as the Vizio and TCL, and is available at my local Costco. Any reason to also consider that as an option?
Have those people actually said which Samsung model they think (s)he should buy? If not then is their recommendation worth listening to considering it's likely from a "Samsung is popular and thus better" mindset? While the top of the line Samsung TVs are better than the Vizio P Series as well as the TCL 6 Series, they are considerably more expensive.

Since the Samsung NU800D (Costco's version of the NU8000) was always displayed front and center at my local Costco, I considered getting it several times. The main reason I didn't buy it was due to it being Edge Lit rather than Full Array Local Dimming.

TV: TCL 75R615
Reciever: Onkyo TX-NR787 running in a 5.4.4 configuration
Speakers: Polk T Series
Subwoofers: Dual SVS PB12-NSD and dual SVS PB-1000.
Gaming Systems: PlayStation 4 Pro and Nintendo Switch.
post #19 of 27 Old 03-12-2019, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If Costco had a 75” 5 or 6 series, I’d get it over the Vizio because of the 120hz which the 65” TCL do not have. I watch sports. And 60 he is not going to work for me. Costco has a 75” 4 series, but it doesn’t have Dolby vision.

I’m not liking the 65” TCL because I can see the dirty screen effect in Costco and target when I went there as opposed to not seeing it on either the Vizio P or E series. But dang, I like the Roku platform better than the chrome cast.
post #20 of 27 Old 03-12-2019, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateyes View Post
If Costco had a 75” 5 or 6 series, I’d get it over the Vizio because of the 120hz which the 65” TCL do not have. I watch sports. And 60 he is not going to work for me. Costco has a 75” 4 series, but it doesn’t have Dolby vision.

I’m not liking the 65” TCL because I can see the dirty screen effect in Costco and target when I went there as opposed to not seeing it on either the Vizio P or E series. But dang, I like the Roku platform better than the chrome cast.

I think it's looking like the 75 is a 60 hz panel with 120 cmi

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

post #21 of 27 Old 03-12-2019, 08:18 PM

At some point it is all in the head. He will be completely satisfied with the Samsung, as well as reinforced by what everyone else said to him. I doubt he will be looking for banding and DSE, he will see the bright colors and be completely happy.

The best thing would be for him to ignore AVS, and just live happily ever after with his set. The NU8000 is a good set. Add a square trade warranty from Costco and all is well.

I vote for the Sammy!

Hetfieldjames likes this.
post #22 of 27 Old 03-12-2019, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
At some point it is all in the head. He will be completely satisfied with the Samsung, as well as reinforced by what everyone else said to him. I doubt he will be looking for banding and DSE, he will see the bright colors and be completely happy.

The best thing would be for him to ignore AVS, and just live happily ever after with his set. The NU8000 is a good set. Add a square trade warranty from Costco and all is well.

I vote for the Sammy!

True... Ignorant Bliss is not to be undervalued...

post #23 of 27 Old 03-12-2019, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devedander View Post
I think it's looking like the 75 is a 60 hz panel with 120 cmi

Post #111
post #24 of 27 Old 03-13-2019, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3578 Post(s)
Liked: 2768
Quote:
Originally Posted by PUNKem 733 View Post
I would not bet that post is the definitive answer on whether or not the 75" TCL 6 Series is native 120 Hz. Many other indications are that it's 60 Hz native. I would consider everything inconclusive until a reliable professional reviewer actually measures it with proper test equipment. For typical, non-enthusiast TV buyers the difference between 60 Hz and 120 Hz isn't worth much consideration.
post #25 of 27 Old 03-13-2019, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
I would not bet that post is the definitive answer on whether or not the 75" TCL 6 Series is native 120 Hz. Many other indications are that it's 60 Hz native. I would consider everything inconclusive until a reliable professional reviewer actually measures it with proper test equipment. For typical, non-enthusiast TV buyers the difference between 60 Hz and 120 Hz isn't worth much consideration.

What are these "many" indications? True the 120 test is not reliable yet.
post #26 of 27 Old 03-13-2019, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3578 Post(s)
Liked: 2768
Quote:
For indications you can check the TCL 6 Series threads to see which sources have quoted 60 Hz and which have quoted 120 Hz. The most compelling evidence to date is TCL's own website where the specifications for the 75" are identical to those of the 55" and 65" models as having a Clear Motion Index of 120 Hz. CMI is not native resolution alone but also includes frame interpolation. If CMI is 120 Hz then native resolution is 60 Hz.
post #27 of 27 Old 03-13-2019, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Lots of sites including the TCL site list it as 120 CMI and actual panel rate is usually half or less than the CMI

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page