2019 Samsung Q80R Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 18 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 472Likes

post #511 of 1668 Old 04-21-2019, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Is there really a blue tint around the outside of the entire screen? And how noticeable is it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 1668 Old 04-21-2019, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuthalu View Post
There are a couple of problems and the lack of DV is the least of them. Q80 has the same wide viewing angle tech as Q90 meaning it has low native contrast. Unlike Q90, it has only a few local dimming zones to compensate. This translates to worse blacks and more blooming. In essence, it's not going to be a substitute for OLED if blacks and lack of blooming are important for you. Even Q70 might be better in that regard than Q80.
So would you say a Q9FN is better than this Q80R? And it will look more like an OLED than this one?

Enviado desde mi EML-L09 mediante Tapatalk
post #513 of 1668 Old 04-21-2019, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noideas View Post
Okay I left everyone high and dry after asking for feedback. I have had the TV for a few days so, I will provide some of my own. Coming from a 10 year old LCD Samsung TV it's obviously better, but I did return a Sony X900f and Samsung Nu8000 before. So here is my 2 cents.

- Compared to x900f the blacks are way better and video games are better visually. I can read the white text! and the blooming and dark corners are not nearly as bad. Also, the color just has better pop!

- Wide angles are good for viewing and if the contrast is less I think I can live with that because I can see it better from the kitchen and other parts of the living room.

- If the color gamut is lower than last year I can live with this also because to me it LOOKS better than the two previous TVs I tried out.

- The upscaling is great! and I notice the skin tones look much better than the nu8000 and closer to what I saw on the Sony.

- I imagine there is black crush that can be somewhat mitigated, but for me the darker blacks in video games is worth it.

Now here's the kicker, the uniformity is not the best and I'm not sure if my panel is within range? I do notice vertical dark bars...maybe vertical banding, not sure if that's the right term. There only obvious on full color screens and more obvious from the side. So, it's probably just the inherent nature of FALD, but I found it ironic that I noticed it the most putting on the Ambient wallpaper that is supposedly blends your TV right into the wall... I would post a pic, but my camera pics look pretty crappy.

Can anybody else share how obvious the vertical banding is when using the Ambient Wallpaper mode? I see two vertical bands on the far left and right and another pair just behind where the screw mounts go on the back. Just want to know if what I'm seeing is acceptable before worrying about it more. Also, notice on the back of the TV the finish is a little uneven on either side of the mount screws. I know I'm just being paranoid at this point and not sure if they are at all related. Just need some reassurance.

Thanks guys! If you have questions. Let me know!
Can I ask why did you return your Sony X900F?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #514 of 1668 Old 04-22-2019, 02:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7278 Post(s)
Liked: 7312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Riggs View Post
And that is my conclusion with the old Fujitsu plasma tv as well. The new Samsung works just fine in the same configuration as the Fujitsu had. That said, for me, the Fujitsu's 1080i Plasmavision display (RIP) was all I needed and was preferable in some respects to the new stuff. But that's progress.
Ah, yes. Those where the good old days, Fujitsu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensamix View Post
So would you say a Q9FN is better than this Q80R? And it will look more like an OLED than this one?
I sure hope its better for all that extra cash
post #515 of 1668 Old 04-22-2019, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANEWMadrid View Post
I have been following this thread for a bit and honestly this set doesn't seem to be too favorable in this early bout of owners. Do you have a 4k set now? If not than you are going to see a big difference just in that compared to your "ancient" set. Might be worth looking into a 2018 OLED as you may get a great deal. I wanted to pull the trigger on a 75" Q80 but now going to look a bit at other offerings as seems like like early buyers aren't super jazzed.

Considered OLED and ruled it out. I fall asleep working on the computer in front of the living room TV
post #516 of 1668 Old 04-22-2019, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 10
65 inch Q80R owner here. Had it for 2 weeks now. Think the world of it for bluray, 4k bluray, high quality streaming content etc. In fact I'm blown away by it. I'm coming from a 2016 KS8000. About the only, or main disappointment I have with it so far, may have nothing to do with it all honestly. I'm not sure so that's what brings me here.

I've seen it mentioned by another owner I believe that while watching sports on DirectTV (amongst other things) has the picture looking extremely grainy. It actually looks worse than on my KS8000. Obviously things like Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, all bluray's etc look WAY better on the Q80R, so to my knowledge at this point, it's just DirecTV content.

Why is this and what can I do to fix it?

I believe I remember reading where someone else said seeing if new equipment is available as that my communicate better to the new TV? Not sure though. Any suggestions? The basketball players, baseball players, the picture overall is just really grainy. So much so, that my brother in law who knew I had just gotten the TV said "Is that in HD?" and as much as I'd have liked to punch him, he's right. It doesn't look very good in 1080i or 720 when watching DirectTV. And it really doesn't matter the type of show or sporting event you watch, they all leave A LOT to be desired. Especially since the other types of content I listed above looks so amazingly incredible.

Any suggestions?
post #517 of 1668 Old 04-22-2019, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongJon View Post
65 inch Q80R owner here. Had it for 2 weeks now. Think the world of it for bluray, 4k bluray, high quality streaming content etc. In fact I'm blown away by it. I'm coming from a 2016 KS8000. About the only, or main disappointment I have with it so far, may have nothing to do with it all honestly. I'm not sure so that's what brings me here.

I've seen it mentioned by another owner I believe that while watching sports on DirectTV (amongst other things) has the picture looking extremely grainy. It actually looks worse than on my KS8000. Obviously things like Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, all bluray's etc look WAY better on the Q80R, so to my knowledge at this point, it's just DirecTV content.

I believe I remember reading where someone else said seeing if new equipment is available as that my communicate better to the new TV? Not sure though. Any suggestions? The basketball players, baseball players, the picture overall is just really grainy. So much so, that my brother in law who knew I had just gotten the TV said "Is that in HD?" and as much as I'd have liked to punch him, he's right. It doesn't look very good in 1080i or 720 when watching DirectTV. And it really doesn't matter the type of show or sporting event you watch, they all leave A LOT to be desired. Especially since the other types of content I listed above looks so amazingly incredible.

Any suggestions?
Obviously, you have the 4k Direct TV box? All the resolutions boxes ticked?
post #518 of 1668 Old 04-22-2019, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:

Any suggestions?
I've been one of the ones complaining about the Directv feed. However, my issue is not grain... It is washed out faces in sports during regular non closeup shots. Other than that, I think Directv feed is OK on this set.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #519 of 1668 Old 04-22-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Webb View Post
I've been one of the ones complaining about the Directv feed. However, my issue is not grain... It is washed out faces in sports during regular non closeup shots. Other than that, I think Directv feed is OK on this set.

Washed out faces is what I'm experiencing too. But overall the quality just isn't that good. But it's a little more than that to me. The DirectTV box I have it connected to is a genie in the bedroom, and no I don't believe I have a 4K box. Just HD. When you say that though, what do you mean? As DTV only has like a handful of HD channels at this point correct? Otherwise I would consider upgrading if sports and more regular shows were available on DTV.
post #520 of 1668 Old 04-22-2019, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Washed out faces is what I'm experiencing too. But overall the quality just isn't that good. But it's a little more than that to me. The DirectTV box I have it connected to is a genie in the bedroom, and no I don't believe I have a 4K box. Just HD. When you say that though, what do you mean? As DTV only has like a handful of HD channels at this point correct? Otherwise I would consider upgrading if sports and more regular shows were available on DTV.
Have you turned your sharpness to 0?

post #521 of 1668 Old 04-22-2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Have you turned your sharpness to 0?

I meant to say there are only a handful of 4K channels on DTV, my bad. And no I haven't tried turning sharpness to 0. I'll give that a shot. I thought my KS8000 did a good job with DTV. Better than my parents 1080p Vizio and others I'd seen. I just assumed it would only improve with the Q80R or a new Samsung TV not go in the other (wrong) direction. Hopefully I can figure this out with you guys help.

Yes all boxes are checked as far as the resolution goes. All the way from 480 to 1080p. It currently shows it's playing HD content in 720p.
post #522 of 1668 Old 04-23-2019, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_42 View Post
Is there really a blue tint around the outside of the entire screen? And how noticeable is it?

I have noticed this on mine especially on a white background like firefox or edge, but only from viewing distance, if you get up close you cant see it. It is a little distracting.

Do all them have this? or could i get one that doesnt have it?
post #523 of 1668 Old 04-23-2019, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Yes all boxes are checked as far as the resolution goes. All the way from 480 to 1080p. It currently shows it's playing HD content in 720p.
Do you have the DirecTV box set to output native resolution, so the signal isn't getting converted twice? Have you turned the TV'S clean view off?
post #524 of 1668 Old 04-23-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
Do you have the DirecTV box set to output native resolution, so the signal isn't getting converted twice? Have you turned the TV'S clean view off?
I believe I've tried turning clean view off, but I'll do that again to make sure. If I remember correctly, it didn't do much of anything. As far as setting the output to native resolution, how do I do that?
post #525 of 1668 Old 04-23-2019, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
... As far as setting the output to native resolution, how do I do that?
Honestly, I unplugged from DirecTV years ago, so I don't remember the exact sequence, but it was called "native" somewhere in the video output settings (assuming they haven't changed it). With native off, the DTV box will scale everything to the highest resolution your TV can handle. With native on, it will output the video in the same resolution as the source feed (so a 720p station is sent to the TV as 720p, 1080p as 1080p, etc., instead of the DTV box scaling everything to 1080). Historically, IIRC, the default was for native to be off, because channel changes would be faster, because the TV didn't have to re-sync to changing input resolutions as you changed channels. But if the TV had a better scaler than the DTV box (at this point, likely), then it's probably better to pass the signal unmolested to the TV, and let the TV scale it. Furthermore, since your DTV box isn't 4K, it can only scale SD and 720 content to 1080, then the TV still has to scale it to the 4K, so it's going through two scaling operations.
post #526 of 1668 Old 04-23-2019, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmotorf1nger View Post
I have noticed this on mine especially on a white background like firefox or edge, but only from viewing distance, if you get up close you cant see it. It is a little distracting.

Do all them have this? or could i get one that doesnt have it?
Yeah i had 2 of these first one i noticed it right away thought it was defective returned it second one a little better but still very noticeable. further back looked blue like picture frame around entire screen at about 12 feet looked like black shadow right up close i couldnt see it. went to best buy looked at displays q70 and 90 have it to weird issue some people probably dont notice it. q8fn on display didnt see it returned it was distracting for me and for 4k cost was not worth it blacks were amazing tho i may look for a q8fn. or try a sony man for so much money there are still lots of problems with high end tvs.
Cuthalu likes this.
post #527 of 1668 Old 04-23-2019, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_42 View Post
yes its there i tried 2 of these it was distracting to me either blue or black shadow around entire screen edge not noticeable to others im sure i returned both tvs it bothered me.
post #528 of 1668 Old 04-23-2019, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack0426 View Post
Yeah i had 2 of these first one i noticed it right away thought it was defective returned it second one a little better but still very noticeable. further back looked blue like picture frame around entire screen at about 12 feet looked like black shadow right up close i couldnt see it. went to best buy looked at displays q70 and 90 have it to weird issue some people probably dont notice it. q8fn on display didnt see it returned it was distracting for me and for 4k cost was not worth it blacks were amazing tho i may look for a q8fn. or try a sony man for so much money there are still lots of problems with high end tvs.

thanks, and here i thought id found my perfect TV.. ill call samsung & see what they say about it, if exchange or repair is best option. No way that can be considered "in spec"
Other than that issue I really like this TV, especially at EPP pricing.
post #529 of 1668 Old 04-24-2019, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Thumbs down Vertical banding, does this pass?

Can I get some feedback on whether my TV looks bad or not???

I noticed in ambient mode how badly the vertical banding was standing out. I even can spot it on the picture test. Is this worth keeping or should I start thinking about making a return? I don't have enough post yet to create links. So please copy and paste.

imgur.com/4bm3rHE

imgur.com/N8oMD8M

imgur.com/f8j8ahs

Honest opinions please, I have a little less than a week to decide. This is really bumming me out and I just found a dead pixel. Damn Samsung, I wanted to trust you...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front-white-banding.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	2557618   Click image for larger version

Name:	info-clock-banding.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	2.72 MB
ID:	2557620   Click image for larger version

Name:	weather-info-banding.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	740.4 KB
ID:	2557622   Click image for larger version

Name:	front-view-banding.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	2557624   Click image for larger version

Name:	left-side-banding-2.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	2557626  

post #530 of 1668 Old 04-24-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:

I noticed in ambient mode how badly the vertical banding was standing out. I even can spot it on the picture test. Is this worth keeping or should I start thinking about making a return? I don't have enough post yet to create links. So please copy and paste.

imgur.com/4bm3rHE

imgur.com/N8oMD8M

imgur.com/f8j8ahs

Honest opinions please, I have a little less than a week to decide. This is really bumming me out and I just found a dead pixel. Damn Samsung, I wanted to trust you...
To me that would cross the threshold of enough vertical banding to do something about. Have Samsung techs look at your panel so they can do a replacement.

post #531 of 1668 Old 04-24-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
To me that would cross the threshold of enough vertical banding to do something about. Have Samsung techs look at your panel so they can do a replacement.

I talked with Samsung today, but I don't want to wait on a tech and let my return time period run out. Just not sure if they will evaluate this panel as faulty or not?
post #532 of 1668 Old 04-24-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
I talked with Samsung today, but I don't want to wait on a tech and let my return time period run out. Just not sure if they will evaluate this panel as faulty or not?
Don't they log in remotely to see what you're seeing?

post #533 of 1668 Old 04-24-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Don't they log in remotely to see what you're seeing?

yeah, but they didn't see what I was talking about, but said they would send a tech.
post #534 of 1668 Old 04-24-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
yeah, but they didn't see what I was talking about, but said they would send a tech.

They said they would do this because it's within a week of owning it.
post #535 of 1668 Old 04-24-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
If it was outside a week of owning it, what were they going to do?

post #536 of 1668 Old 04-24-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
If it was outside a week of owning it, what were they going to do?

Quote:
Possibly charge me for the technician coming out I imagine. They might do this if they find nothing wrong with the panel. Does this seem like a bad uniformity issue compare to other Samsungs... I am going to go check them out at BB to compare to my set.
post #537 of 1668 Old 04-24-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Possibly charge me for the technician coming out I imagine. They might do this if they find nothing wrong with the panel. Does this seem like a bad uniformity issue compare to other Samsungs... I am going to go check them out at BB to compare to my set.
It's not the worst but bad enough that I would return it.

post #538 of 1668 Old 04-24-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:

imgur.com/4bm3rHE

imgur.com/N8oMD8M

imgur.com/f8j8ahs

Return or exchange. I see banding there. Very visible.

I've got a Q9FN and it's perfect. No DSE or banding. If I had that I would have returned the TV. You can still do so.

post #539 of 1668 Old 04-25-2019, 05:21 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
It's not the worst but bad enough that I would return it.

Quote:
Return or exchange. I see banding there. Very visible.

I've got a Q9FN and it's perfect. No DSE or banding. If I had that I would have returned the TV. You can still do so.

YAH! Returning things is fun! Here are some more pics to what I'm talking about.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	left-side-band.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	850.7 KB
ID:	2557984   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190419_073919.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	2557986   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190419_074336.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	2557988   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190419_074400.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	2557990   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190423_183320 (1).jpg
Views:	211
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	2557992  

Name:	20190423_135808.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	2557994   Click image for larger version

Name:	green-banding.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	585.5 KB
ID:	2557996  
post #540 of 1668 Old 04-25-2019, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Can I ask why did you return your Sony X900F?

Thanks!

I returned the Sony x900f because of dead pixels and didn't really enjoy the Android interface and thought that blacks were to washed and hard to see any detail. I thought the Samsung Q80r was more value for the buck even though it cost me a few hundred dollars more.

Now, I am considering just returning the Samsung Q80r and going to Best Buy and getting a Samsung Q8fn and call it a day, but afraid I'll just run into the same issues. So, I'm kind of at a loss at this point...
Sensamix likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page