2019 Samsung Q80R Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 188Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #691 of 782 Old 06-14-2019, 03:51 PM
Member
 
Nicholas Webb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewookie View Post
How long from when you ordered to when they delivered? Did you do the white glove service or no?
It was a week or two. I did not do white glove.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Nicholas Webb is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #692 of 782 Old 06-15-2019, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,028
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6409 Post(s)
Liked: 6404
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBinHD View Post
I noticed that the Samsung site now lists an 82” size for the Q80R, though there is no MSRP listed. I wasn’t aware Samsung had planned an 82” version of this model, but I’m glad to see it. I’m looking forward to seeing some professional reviews.
Yes it is supposed to come out, no pricing was released just yet, we will see when it happens.....
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #693 of 782 Old 06-15-2019, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,089
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by amado333 View Post
Yeah, a little disappointing that the regular Directv feed doesn't give a better picture than my 12 year old Sony. I've tried most of the settings I've seen listed here, including putting the Direct TV settings to Native (the rep I spoke too had actually told me to turn that off, so I'm not sure which is correct?).



Amazon Prime, or any 4k youtube content looks great, so I feel pretty good about my settings in general (although I haven't tested changing all my settings over to Movie Mode as Rtings suggests).



I may just have to bite the bullet and get the C61K box from Directv to improve the overall feed.
The 4k box from direct tv isnt gonna make your regular 720 or 1080i sat channels look any better trust me. That just means you gain access to their handful of actual 4k content.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
amado333 likes this.
wmoss35 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #694 of 782 Old 06-15-2019, 07:11 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewookie View Post
How long from when you ordered to when they delivered? Did you do the white glove service or no?
You might try BB. I was able to price match the EPP with them, but I bought the set and then went back to return and it was during the memorial day sale. Also, previously ordered from Samsung and the order took about two weeks to get my set and the box had a little damage and was not carried by two people, but the one guy was a big dude. Also, with Samsung they use AGS and fly your TV in my instance and then contract it out to whoever is available you never know.

I will note, the second Q80r that I just got came in a larger box with more padding. I mean a wider box where they fit an entire sheet of protective foam that was over an inch thick. The previous Sammys that I bought and returned didn't have this much padding. Also, the new one looks way better. I don't know if the first one was damaged, but the new one looks very clean. I didn't run any tests because I think I have pretty much have trained my eyes what to look for and don't want to ruin this set for myself.
WannaBinHD likes this.
noideas is offline  
post #695 of 782 Old 06-15-2019, 07:39 AM
Senior Member
 
tamanaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Strange... After reading in the Q90R thread that some folks had already updated their TVs to firmware 1303.7 without any issues, I decided to update my Q80R from firmware 1065.0 to 1303.7 via USB stick. I had unchecked the Auto Update option, but my Q80R was somehow updated to 1303.7 overnight. Anyone else out there running this new firmware version on their Q80Rs... have you found any new features or improvements?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190615_103412.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	2580298  
tamanaco is offline  
post #696 of 782 Old 06-15-2019, 09:37 AM
Senior Member
 
ANEWMadrid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 122
LeMans
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15606166361928445101244132182622_1560616656984.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	5.00 MB
ID:	2580314  
ANEWMadrid is offline  
post #697 of 782 Old 06-15-2019, 09:44 AM
Senior Member
 
Bluewookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Southern CT
Posts: 274
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by noideas View Post
You might try BB. I was able to price match the EPP with them, but I bought the set and then went back to return and it was during the memorial day sale. Also, previously ordered from Samsung and the order took about two weeks to get my set and the box had a little damage and was not carried by two people, but the one guy was a big dude. Also, with Samsung they use AGS and fly your TV in my instance and then contract it out to whoever is available you never know.

I will note, the second Q80r that I just got came in a larger box with more padding. I mean a wider box where they fit an entire sheet of protective foam that was over an inch thick. The previous Sammys that I bought and returned didn't have this much padding. Also, the new one looks way better. I don't know if the first one was damaged, but the new one looks very clean. I didn't run any tests because I think I have pretty much have trained my eyes what to look for and don't want to ruin this set for myself.
Thank for the heads up. I didn't think one of the local stores (BB) or B&H would price match Samsung EPP, but I guess it couldn't hurt to try. On the downside, none of the local BB store has this in stock, nearest is over 50 miles away. If B&H matched, now that would be great, as I've had nothing but positive experiences with them over the last 20ish years.
Bluewookie is online now  
post #698 of 782 Old 06-15-2019, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sd13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,703
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 1030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewookie View Post
Thank for the heads up. I didn't think one of the local stores (BB) or B&H would price match Samsung EPP, but I guess it couldn't hurt to try. On the downside, none of the local BB store has this in stock, nearest is over 50 miles away. If B&H matched, now that would be great, as I've had nothing but positive experiences with them over the last 20ish years.


They won’t match the epp. I tried several times.
sd13 is online now  
post #699 of 782 Old 06-15-2019, 03:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
They won’t match the epp. I tried several times.
I think it can depend on the manager and I also was using the student discount pricing, which may be different. Anyways, sounds like people are still having success with getting good TVs from Samsung. It's just more wait time and a hassle if you need to do an exchange.
noideas is offline  
post #700 of 782 Old 06-16-2019, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wildgator25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Graniteville, South Carolina
Posts: 1,075
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmoss35 View Post
The 4k box from direct tv isnt gonna make your regular 720 or 1080i sat channels look any better trust me. That just means you gain access to their handful of actual 4k content.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I would have to disagree. HD programming through DirecTV 4k boxes look great on my Q80 and C7. Some of the content, depending on the channel, is close to Bluray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamanaco View Post
Strange... After reading in the Q90R thread that some folks had already updated their TVs to firmware 1303.7 without any issues, I decided to update my Q80R from firmware 1065.0 to 1303.7 via USB stick. I had unchecked the Auto Update option, but my Q80R was somehow updated to 1303.7 overnight. Anyone else out there running this new firmware version on their Q80Rs... have you found any new features or improvements?
I updated earlier to 1303.7. Nothing of note yet but looking for new things I came across the Apple TV app. Now I can get all of my Apple content that I have been streaming through the AppleTV4k box on the OLED.
amado333 likes this.

Last edited by wildgator25; 06-16-2019 at 05:34 PM.
wildgator25 is offline  
post #701 of 782 Old 06-16-2019, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,089
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildgator25 View Post
I would have to disagree. HD programming through DirecTV 4k boxes look great on my Q80. Some of the content, depending on the channel, is close to Bluray.







I updated earlier to 1303.7. Nothing of note yet but looking for new things I came across the Apple TV app. Now I can get all of my Apple content that I have been streaming through the AppleTV4k box on the OLED.
I have both boxes, the 4k mini and regular hr 54 connected to my 65" q9fn, there's no difference, both boxes can only go up to 1080i on 720p or 1080i satellite content anyways, regardless of if you have 4k checked on the resolution menu. But to each their own!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
wmoss35 is offline  
post #702 of 782 Old 06-16-2019, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wildgator25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Graniteville, South Carolina
Posts: 1,075
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmoss35 View Post
I have both boxes, the 4k mini and regular hr 54 connected to my 65" q9fn, there's no difference, both boxes can only go up to 1080i on 720p or 1080i satellite content anyways, regardless of if you have 4k checked on the resolution menu. But to each their own!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Have you calibrated your TV? Makes a difference
wildgator25 is offline  
post #703 of 782 Old 06-16-2019, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,089
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildgator25 View Post
Have you calibrated your TV? Makes a difference
That's irrelevant. A calibrated tv doing an a/b comparison to a non-calibrated tv doing an a/b comparison produces the same a/b comparison results at the source. What's important is that you think it makes a difference, it's your tv. I'm telling you it doesn't, feel free to disagree!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
wmoss35 is offline  
post #704 of 782 Old 06-16-2019, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wildgator25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Graniteville, South Carolina
Posts: 1,075
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmoss35 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildgator25 View Post
Have you calibrated your TV? Makes a difference
That's irrelevant. A calibrated tv doing an a/b comparison to a non-calibrated tv doing an a/b comparison produces the same a/b comparison results at the source. What's important is that you think it makes a difference, it's your tv. I'm telling you it doesn't, feel free to disagree!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Definitely not worth arguing about. But, I cannot disagree with my eyes. I am watching the US Open right now and it looks very good on Fox local HD. The 4k feed on Channel 106 looks stupid good in HLG HDR.

Dish Network 4k box was not as good as this DirecTV 4k. I don't have the DirecTV HD box to compare, nor would I want to downgrade in my opinion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190616_211247_1560734422613.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	4.58 MB
ID:	2580974   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190616_211122_1560734433807.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	3.35 MB
ID:	2580976   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190616_212100_1560734471742.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	3.05 MB
ID:	2580978  
amado333 likes this.
wildgator25 is offline  
post #705 of 782 Old 06-16-2019, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,089
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildgator25 View Post
Definitely not worth arguing about. But, I cannot disagree with my eyes. I am watching the US Open right now and it looks very good on Fox local HD. The 4k feed on Channel 106 looks stupid good in HLG HDR.

Dish Network 4k box was not as good as this DirecTV 4k. I don't have the DirecTV HD box to compare, nor would I want to downgrade in my opinion.
The 4k mini doesnt work without the main hr54 to run it so you have to have it in your setup somewhere. Anyways, local channels vary on direct tv, my local cable company pulls a direct feed so it doesnt compress locals like direct tv does. But for regular cable (non locals) direct tv is much better. And yeahhh, the 4k feed looked amazing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
amado333 likes this.
wmoss35 is offline  
post #706 of 782 Old 06-16-2019, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wildgator25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Graniteville, South Carolina
Posts: 1,075
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmoss35 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildgator25 View Post
Definitely not worth arguing about. But, I cannot disagree with my eyes. I am watching the US Open right now and it looks very good on Fox local HD. The 4k feed on Channel 106 looks stupid good in HLG HDR.

Dish Network 4k box was not as good as this DirecTV 4k. I don't have the DirecTV HD box to compare, nor would I want to downgrade in my opinion.
The 4k mini doesnt work without the main hr54 to run it so you have to have it in your setup somewhere. Anyways, local channels vary on direct tv, my local cable company pulls a direct feed so it doesnt compress locals like direct tv does. But for regular cable (non locals) direct tv is much better. And yeahhh, the 4k feed looked amazing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
This is from the main. The 4k mini is hooked up to my OLED.
wildgator25 is offline  
post #707 of 782 Old 06-16-2019, 08:07 PM
Member
 
jonny1127's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamanaco View Post
Strange... After reading in the Q90R thread that some folks had already updated their TVs to firmware 1303.7 without any issues, I decided to update my Q80R from firmware 1065.0 to 1303.7 via USB stick. I had unchecked the Auto Update option, but my Q80R was somehow updated to 1303.7 overnight. Anyone else out there running this new firmware version on their Q80Rs... have you found any new features or improvements?
They fixed 120hz while in game mode! No more skipped frames it's super smooth now.
jonny1127 is offline  
post #708 of 782 Old 06-17-2019, 04:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wildgator25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Graniteville, South Carolina
Posts: 1,075
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildgator25 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmoss35 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildgator25 View Post
Definitely not worth arguing about. But, I cannot disagree with my eyes. I am watching the US Open right now and it looks very good on Fox local HD. The 4k feed on Channel 106 looks stupid good in HLG HDR.

Dish Network 4k box was not as good as this DirecTV 4k. I don't have the DirecTV HD box to compare, nor would I want to downgrade in my opinion.
The 4k mini doesnt work without the main hr54 to run it so you have to have it in your setup somewhere. Anyways, local channels vary on direct tv, my local cable company pulls a direct feed so it doesnt compress locals like direct tv does. But for regular cable (non locals) direct tv is much better. And yeahhh, the 4k feed looked amazing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
This is from the main. The 4k mini is hooked up to my OLED.
I misunderstood what you meant earlier. I don't refer to the main hr54 as less than 4k, even thoughi know you can't watch 4k content through it. I thought you meant you had an older HD box along with the 4k mini.
wildgator25 is offline  
post #709 of 782 Old 06-17-2019, 06:30 AM
Senior Member
 
tamanaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone out there using a Q80R QLED TV with a HW-Q70R Sound bar? I have a couple questions.

1. Using firmware 1303.7 on the TV and 1006.0 on the Soundbar do you get a eARC handshake? I know, wishful thinking, but anyway... Is there an "official" Samsung announcement about either of these devices supporting eARC with a firmware update either now or in the future?
2. Using the same hardware-firmware mentioned above, can you Select "Dolby Digital +" under Sound-> Expert Settings-> Digital Output Format:? It's grey-out on my TV even while connected to the Q70R Soundbar via ARC (HDMI) and using the HDMI cable "included" with the Soundbar. (I also tested using other HDMI cables). The panel to the right of the setting reads: "Select the digital output format. The Dolby Digital + option is only available via ARC (HDMI) for external devices that support the format". Is there some other setting or input source I have to tweak to be able to select DD+?
3.- Anyone experiencing a slight lip-sync audio delay?

EDIT:
2. I was able to get the Dolby Digital + option enabled while playing 4K Dolby 5.1 ATMOS content via Vudu. Using YouTube, I was only able to find ATMOS demos that worked either via PCM or Dolby Digital. I was not able to find any YouTube demos that allowed me to enable the DD+ option. But, it could be that the current version of the YouTube app in the Q80R does not support DD+.

Last edited by tamanaco; 06-22-2019 at 10:28 AM.
tamanaco is offline  
post #710 of 782 Old 06-17-2019, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,028
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6409 Post(s)
Liked: 6404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Aubrey View Post
Help me make my choice! 75" Q9FN (2018 model) or 75" Q80R (2019 Model). The Q9FN will be $300 cheaper but I get back the a little more in rewards points from Samsung that I have a use for so they are essentially the same price. The room has moderate light.

I have gone back and forth and read everything I can but still can't make a decision.
Q9FN all day, it is the better set
Sensamix likes this.
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #711 of 782 Old 06-18-2019, 11:49 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamanaco View Post
Anyone out there using a Q80R QLED TV with a HW-Q70R Sound bar? I have a couple questions.

1. Using firmware 1303.7 on the TV and 1006.0 on the Soundbar do you get a eARC handshake? I know, wishful thinking, but anyway... Is there an "official" Samsung announcement about either of these devices supporting eARC with a firmware update either now or in the future?
2. Using the same hardware-firmware mentioned above, can you Select "Dolby Digital +" under Sound-> Expert Settings-> Digital Output Format:? It's grey-out on my TV even while connected to the Q70R Soundbar via ARC (HDMI) and using the HDMI cable "included" with the Soundbar. (I also tested using other HDMI cables). The panel to the right of the setting reads: "Select the digital output format. The Dolby Digital + option is only available via ARC (HDMI) for external devices that support the format". Is there some other setting or input source I have to tweak to be able to select DD+?
3.- Anyone experiencing a slight lip-sync audio delay?
1. I'm still waiting for the 1303.7 OTA update (for Q90R). But my soundbar was upgraded to 1006.0. And unfortunately without the eARC on TV I can't even verify if it's really working (eARC)...
2. DD+ is not out of nowhere nor conversion. You need DD+ audio source to be able to select it. I was able to select it only on some selected TV stations, otherwise it's also grey-out. I read that Netflix app is outputting DD+, but I'm not a subscriber so I can't verify that. Also, it's tricky to know exactly which audio source is currently transmitted to the soundbar, because the soundbar itself doesn't display such information, except for the Atmos, which it can and scrolls on its own small display (btw, I have recently bought HW-Q80R soundbar). Without eARC TV is not able to return Atmos to soundbar (well, almost...), so the Atmos source has to be connected directly to the soundbar HDMI input. This way I was able to check Atmos from PS4 Blu ray player directly connected to the soundbar. When connected directly to TV and via ARC, it's not possible to hear it.
rwap is offline  
post #712 of 782 Old 06-18-2019, 03:28 PM
Senior Member
 
tamanaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwap View Post
1. I'm still waiting for the 1303.7 OTA update (for Q90R). But my soundbar was upgraded to 1006.0. And unfortunately without the eARC on TV I can't even verify if it's really working (eARC)...
2. DD+ is not out of nowhere nor conversion. You need DD+ audio source to be able to select it. I was able to select it only on some selected TV stations, otherwise it's also grey-out. I read that Netflix app is outputting DD+, but I'm not a subscriber so I can't verify that. Also, it's tricky to know exactly which audio source is currently transmitted to the soundbar, because the soundbar itself doesn't display such information, except for the Atmos, which it can and scrolls on its own small display (btw, I have recently bought HW-Q80R soundbar). Without eARC TV is not able to return Atmos to soundbar (well, almost...), so the Atmos source has to be connected directly to the soundbar HDMI input. This way I was able to check Atmos from PS4 Blu ray player directly connected to the soundbar. When connected directly to TV and via ARC, it's not possible to hear it.
1.- You can update your Q90R QLED TV via the USB stick using the downloadable firmware available in the Samsung support site. Let us know if this enables your eARC between your Q90R and Soundbar.
2.- Having a DD+ audio source to enable that setting, sort of makes sense, but the right panel that describes the setting says that you need to have an ARC (HDMI) "external device" connected to the TV. I understood this as... having a connection from the HDMI ARC on the TV to the HDMI ARC of the Soundbar. Netfilx is not a device or is externally connected via HDMI ARC. This is likely a setting "description" issue that confuses end users. What specific TV stations and/or external/internal box/App were you using to get the DD+ option to be enabled?

Last edited by tamanaco; 06-18-2019 at 06:30 PM.
tamanaco is offline  
post #713 of 782 Old 06-19-2019, 07:25 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm not getting the new update yet :-/
Dose it have anything to do with the fact I am from Europe?
Davor Birt is offline  
post #714 of 782 Old 06-19-2019, 08:57 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmoss35 View Post
I have both boxes, the 4k mini and regular hr 54 connected to my 65" q9fn, there's no difference, both boxes can only go up to 1080i on 720p or 1080i satellite content anyways, regardless of if you have 4k checked on the resolution menu. But to each their own!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

So when you say you have the 4k mini. Do you mean the C61 or the C61K? Only the K would actually give the 4k signal, so I'm just checking.
amado333 is offline  
post #715 of 782 Old 06-19-2019, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,089
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by amado333 View Post
So when you say you have the 4k mini. Do you mean the C61 or the C61K? Only the K would actually give the 4k signal, so I'm just checking.
K, sorry.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
amado333 likes this.
wmoss35 is offline  
post #716 of 782 Old 06-19-2019, 07:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamanaco View Post
Anyone out there using a Q80R QLED TV with a HW-Q70R Sound bar? I have a couple questions.



1. Using firmware 1303.7 on the TV and 1006.0 on the Soundbar do you get a eARC handshake? I know, wishful thinking, but anyway... Is there an "official" Samsung announcement about either of these devices supporting eARC with a firmware update either now or in the future?

2. Using the same hardware-firmware mentioned above, can you Select "Dolby Digital +" under Sound-> Expert Settings-> Digital Output Format:? It's grey-out on my TV even while connected to the Q70R Soundbar via ARC (HDMI) and using the HDMI cable "included" with the Soundbar. (I also tested using other HDMI cables). The panel to the right of the setting reads: "Select the digital output format. The Dolby Digital + option is only available via ARC (HDMI) for external devices that support the format". Is there some other setting or input source I have to tweak to be able to select DD+?

3.- Anyone experiencing a slight lip-sync audio delay?
Are you having lip-sync issues?

I've seen many reports on that issue with many TVs. Seems like something unavoidable.

Enviado desde mi EML-L09 mediante Tapatalk
Sensamix is offline  
post #717 of 782 Old 06-19-2019, 10:41 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey There Everyone

New owner of a 65" Q80R that was delivered last week Friday, so I decided to join the forum.
I am from South Africa. Here's the strange part I think our product naming is different here. Before I got the TV I watched a few reviews on it and to my understanding the Q80R was the set with the inputs on the back of the TV with the with the double stands and the Q85R was or is the set with the single stand and a one connect box. I received my Q80R and it has the single stand with the one connect box. I prefer this set up as everything is in one place and easy to access esp USB sticks. The product labelling seems strange to the rest of the world though.

The Q80R replaces my 60" KS8000 which had its screen replaced 4 times and due to Samsung transporting my TV to have it repaired the last time they scratched the back cover which I insisted they replace.

The KS8000 was an awesome set in terms of picture quality I had no issues there but wow does this Q80R take it to a new level.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190617_164722.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	437.7 KB
ID:	2582226   Click image for larger version

Name:	Samsung Info edite.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	523.1 KB
ID:	2582228  
Nithan15 is offline  
post #718 of 782 Old 06-20-2019, 08:01 AM
Senior Member
 
tamanaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensamix View Post
Are you having lip-sync issues?

I've seen many reports on that issue with many TVs. Seems like something unavoidable.
I also read similar reports, but my understanding is that with eARC on both the TV and Soundbar the lip-sync issues are fixed. This is because in eARC there's dedicated control signal that transmits lip-sync data. What I'm not sure about is if the additional bandwidth of HDMI 2.1 is "also" required to accommodate the additional lip-sync control signal. HDMI 2.1 is one of those features that "might" or "might NOT" be available with a firmware update for the Q80R in the future. I guess it depends if the required HDMI hardware for 2.1 is already on the TV, but not yet enabled.

Last edited by tamanaco; 06-20-2019 at 08:05 AM.
tamanaco is offline  
post #719 of 782 Old 06-20-2019, 08:37 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Have a Q80R and just found a great deal on a Q90R for only a few hundred dollars more. Is it worth the upgrade?

I agree that some of the cable upscaling looks pretty bad on the Q80. Do any TV's (i.e. Sony 950G) do a better job? Looking for some advice before my return period is over.
mcervinojr is offline  
post #720 of 782 Old 06-20-2019, 12:24 PM
Member
 
jonny1127's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcervinojr View Post
Have a Q80R and just found a great deal on a Q90R for only a few hundred dollars more. Is it worth the upgrade?

I agree that some of the cable upscaling looks pretty bad on the Q80. Do any TV's (i.e. Sony 950G) do a better job? Looking for some advice before my return period is over.
I don't know how cable upscaling compares between the two but if I could have got a Q90R for just a few hundred more I definitely would have.

It has way more local dimming zones, better contrast, higher peak brightness, and supports [email protected] If the Q90R were available in 55" in NA I would have bought it over the Q80 without a second thought. 65" was too big and too pricey for my use so I settled for the 55" Q80R.
jonny1127 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off