2019 Samsung Q80R Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 364Likes

post #61 of 1256 Old 03-08-2019, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwprof View Post
Thanks!!

Even with the price I'm still worried that watching a hockey game is going to reveal DSE or banding.
If that happens not sure what the next move is.

Is it because the screen is mostly white? I will have to find some hockey to look at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1256 Old 03-08-2019, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman757 View Post
Is it because the screen is mostly white? I will have to find some hockey to look at.
From what I read DSE seems to mainly hit sporting events like hockey or soccer where you have large uniform color fields in the middle of the screen .
In the case of the Q6 im returning you could even see it in the Samsung Test Pattern.

My advice would be dont look for DSE or banding because once you see it you cant unsee it..lol
post #63 of 1256 Old 03-08-2019, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6849 Post(s)
Liked: 6849
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 1256 Old 03-08-2019, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I'm coming off a 11 year old LG LCD TV that is falling apart and is way too small at 42". Looking around and I think the Q80R 55" is perfect for me - can't wait til they are readily available.
post #65 of 1256 Old 03-08-2019, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY350Z View Post
Do we know how many zones are in the 65Q80R?
Anyone have anytime to do a zone count [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG] ? Here is a video on how to do it. >>>
It has 96 zones. I don’t own one but this has been published elsewhere.
post #66 of 1256 Old 03-08-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman757 View Post
From what I read DSE seems to mainly hit sporting events like hockey or soccer where you have large uniform color fields in the middle of the screen .
In the case of the Q6 im returning you could even see it in the Samsung Test Pattern.

My advice would be dont look for DSE or banding because once you see it you cant unsee it..lol
Very good advice! That’s the curse of spending too much time in these forums. The Q90R owner’s thread has been overrun by obsessives concerned about DSE to the extent that very little else has been discussed and hardly anything from actual owners.

Now having said that, how’s the blooming in this tv?
post #67 of 1256 Old 03-08-2019, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hi everyone. I just registered to the AVS Forum. Just thought I’d join the conversation on the Q80R. Seems a lot of people are still waiting for their tv to arrive or waiting for reviews. Last week, I accepted an upgrade offer from Samsung for a 65” Q80R from my 55” Q8FN that they have been unable to repair. The Q80R has been shipped and waiting for a delivery date from the shipping carrier. I’ll share my thoughts once it arrives with some calibrated settings if anyone wants to try them. Here’s to hoping everyone wins the panel lottery this year 🙂
joe221 likes this.
post #68 of 1256 Old 03-08-2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotoriousBIL View Post
Hi everyone. I just registered to the AVS Forum. Just thought I’d join the conversation on the Q80R. Seems a lot of people are still waiting for their tv to arrive or waiting for reviews. Last week, I accepted an upgrade offer from Samsung for a 65” Q80R from my 55” Q8FN that they have been unable to repair. The Q80R has been shipped and waiting for a delivery date from the shipping carrier. I’ll share my thoughts once it arrives with some calibrated settings if anyone wants to try them. Here’s to hoping everyone wins the panel lottery this year 🙂
Welcome and congrats! Yes, please share your settings when you have them.
post #69 of 1256 Old 03-09-2019, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2365 Post(s)
Liked: 1944
Quote:

Agreed. If you're not noticing DSE with the content you watch then leave it at that. But if you're a hockey or golf fan you'll probably want to know if the Q80R is prone to DSE before buying one.
Mystaken likes this.

LG 65B8 - Primary
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Sonos Playbase
MS Xbox One S (using strictly as a disk player)
post #70 of 1256 Old 03-09-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
Quote:

Agreed. If you're not noticing DSE with the content you watch then leave it at that. But if you're a hockey or golf fan you'll probably want to know if the Q80R is prone to DSE before buying one.
All TVs are prone to various irregularities and LCDs in particular to DSE. It’s the panel lottery and not unique to this model or this brand. If you like to watch hockey, the best test is to watch a hockey game and decide whether you like how it looks. Don’t go looking for problems you don’t notice in normal viewing. Don’t fall into the trap of feeling like you need to run slides on every TV you buy. In the end that’ll just make it harder to enjoy the TV you paid good money for.
joe221 and New24K like this.
post #71 of 1256 Old 03-09-2019, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvhunter View Post
All TVs are prone to various irregularities and LCDs in particular to DSE. It’s the panel lottery and not unique to this model or this brand. If you like to watch hockey, the best test is to watch a hockey game and decide whether you like how it looks. Don’t go looking for problems you don’t notice in normal viewing. Don’t fall into the trap of feeling like you need to run slides on every TV you buy. In the end that’ll just make it harder to enjoy the TV you paid good money for.
Really well said..

If you dont want DSE\banding\whatever that's going to be hard to do..Unless you go OLED but then they have their own worries.
In the end, find a TV that makes you the most happy and enjoy!
post #72 of 1256 Old 03-09-2019, 01:05 PM

It seems dse is the biggest worry with a lot of people considering Samsung’s QLEDs. I can definitely speak on behalf of 2018 Q8FN. The DSE and banding was pretty bad which is why I accepted Samsung’s offer to upgrade to the 2019 Q80R. Out of 5 Q8FN panels I tried in the past 2 months...They all had dse, 2 had vertical banding with dse, and the 5th panel I have now which already had the panel replaced under warranty, now has 8 horizontal bands. However when you dont see these issues, wow what a beautiful image!

From what I read, dse is suppose to be an improvement with this years Samsung QLEDs so I’m hoping that’s true. Samsung could improve their FALD to the uniformity quality of Sony’s FALD if they wanted to...and that’s what I’m hoping for. I’ve tested Sony X900F/X950G and they are very clean when it comes to uniformity/dse/banding. Sony also has its cons of blooming and less vibrant colors which is why I still choose Samsung even with the uniformity issues. I’m not trying to sell anyone with anything. Simply just sharing what I’ve experienced. OLED also has banding so don’t think you need to go the OLED route to avoid these issues. The banding on my LG C8 was mostly noticable during 5% grey so those dark movies and games showed these issues. My point is all tvs have pros and cons and out of all tvs I’ve tested and calibrated, the Samsung Q8FN was the most attractive vibrant image.

Just don’t go looking for issues. If they pop out, you just need to decide if the issues your panel has is acceptable to you. Once my Q80R arrives, I’ll definitely let you guys know what I think and if it’s an improvement from last year. I’ll be comparing side by side with my 2018 Q8FN. Fingers cross for Samsung this year.
Cuthalu and srkmish like this.
post #73 of 1256 Old 03-09-2019, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
It seems dse is the biggest worry with a lot of people considering Samsung’s QLEDs. I can definitely speak on behalf of 2018 Q8FN. The DSE and banding was pretty bad which is why I accepted Samsung’s offer to upgrade to the 2019 Q80R. Out of 5 Q8FN panels I tried in the past 2 months...They all had dse, 2 had vertical banding with dse, and the 5th panel I have now which already had the panel replaced under warranty, now has 8 horizontal bands. However when you dont see these issues, wow what a beautiful image!

From what I read, dse is suppose to be an improvement with this years Samsung QLEDs so I’m hoping that’s true. Samsung could improve their FALD to the uniformity quality of Sony’s FALD if they wanted to...and that’s what I’m hoping for. I’ve tested Sony X900F/X950G and they are very clean when it comes to uniformity/dse/banding. Sony also has its cons of blooming and less vibrant colors which is why I still choose Samsung even with the uniformity issues. I’m not trying to sell anyone with anything. Simply just sharing what I’ve experienced. OLED also has banding so don’t think you need to go the OLED route to avoid these issues. The banding on my LG C8 was mostly noticable during 5% grey so those dark movies and games showed these issues. My point is all tvs have pros and cons and out of all tvs I’ve tested and calibrated, the Samsung Q8FN was the most attractive vibrant image.

Just don’t go looking for issues. If they pop out, you just need to decide if the issues your panel has is acceptable to you. Once my Q80R arrives, I’ll definitely let you guys know what I think and if it’s an improvement from last year. I’ll be comparing side by side with my 2018 Q8FN. Fingers cross for Samsung this year.
I say don’t put up with any DSE, banding, flashing etc. You paying premium $ for the TV so it should be premium picture quality. I have Sony X900F and is very clean but I just don’t like the LED cntrast so I went with LG OLED TV. I am on my 4th one and every one of them has vertical bands that are noticeable in any near dark content, but the picture exceeds any LED. Hoping the new LG C9 will be better but I am not holding my breath.
Heavy Mettle, Cuthalu and srkmish like this.
post #74 of 1256 Old 03-09-2019, 01:50 PM

I think the last person who posted in here got lost. Sorry everyone...wasn’t trying to turn this page into a DSE. Some of you were concerned and was sharing my experience about last years models and my hopes for improvements with this years models.
post #75 of 1256 Old 03-09-2019, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 526
I will have my 65" Q80R next week. I look forward to seeing how it compares to my 65" LG C7 OLED.

If I had the time and software available, I would jump on calibrating the Q80 after a 100 hours. Hopefully, someone will have some settings to try soon.
post #76 of 1256 Old 03-09-2019, 08:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked: 1103
Quote:

Samsung told me that my dse is within spec. How did you get Samsung to swap yours out for a 2019 model?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #77 of 1256 Old 03-09-2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildgator25 View Post
I will have my 65" Q80R next week. I look forward to seeing how it compares to my 65" LG C7 OLED.

If I had the time and software available, I would jump on calibrating the Q80 after a 100 hours. Hopefully, someone will have some settings to try soon.
Awesome. I’m hoping mine will arrive next week as well and once calibrated, I’ll share some settings. If the Q80R is anything like last years Q8, you will will be blown away will it’s wide color gamut and volume. QLED is much more vibrant and has a warmer picture vs the C8 I compared to. Plus hdr highlights exceeds 1000 nits. HDR10 is mastered between 1000-4000 nits so you can finally see content as it was intended 🙂 Please let us know your impressions.
wildgator25 and srkmish like this.
post #78 of 1256 Old 03-09-2019, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
Quote:

Samsung told me that my dse is within spec. How did you get Samsung to swap yours out for a 2019 model?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
My issues weren’t with in spec and the replacement panels were worse. One was broken on arrival. After the unsuccessful repairs and receiving updates from the tech, Samsung reached out to me and offered an onsite exchange. I wanted another 55” Q8FN but they didn’t have any available that day...so they offered a refund or an upgrade to the Q80R.
post #79 of 1256 Old 03-10-2019, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubs418 View Post
Definitely one of the reasons why Samsung is still on the list for me, specifically the Q80R. Just need them to put up the 75"!

Yep, this is pretty amazing what they've done. I've stayed away from OLED due to concerns of burn in so this is literally the dream tv for me. A VA panel with great viewing angles.

This is no doubt my number one choice this year unless someone can top this and it's not stupid expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
They just purchased the Sony X950, the Samsung Q90R is next.

Nice! I'm definitely excited to see that Q90R review.

Hopefully they'll have a review of Q80R up next month sometimes.
post #80 of 1256 Old 03-10-2019, 08:43 AM

Just saw this video. Shows tv at angles.

post #81 of 1256 Old 03-10-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildgator25 View Post

Awesome. I’m hoping mine will arrive next week as well and once calibrated, I’ll share some settings. If the Q80R is anything like last years Q8, you will will be blown away will it’s wide color gamut and volume. QLED is much more vibrant and has a warmer picture vs the C8 I compared to. Plus hdr highlights exceeds 1000 nits. HDR10 is mastered between 1000-4000 nits so you can finally see content as it was intended 🙂 Please let us know your impressions.
Interesting, you’re not the first to sing the praises of the Q8 picture here recently. imagic said he preferred it to the Q9 last year. This TV has 96 zones and I think that doubles the 48 that the Q8 has. And the early claims are that Samsung has improved the local dimming processing. Looking forward to hearing how well they’ve done along with controlling blooming with this model.
post #82 of 1256 Old 03-10-2019, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Update on my Q80

Hey guys, so it's been almost a week since my Q80 was delivered. I have played around with the picture settings, trying different configs with the local dimming, auto motion, contrast enhancer, backlight, brightness, etc. Ran out and bought Planet Earth 2 and Avengers Infinity War 4K Blu-rays to test out the 4K and HDR. If you really want something to show off the amazing 4K picture of this set, definitely pick up Planet Earth 2. The picture is absolutely stunning with Planet Earth 2.

Here are my impressions so far (I am no expert and don't have any test equipment so these are just my opinions but I hope it helps others decide if this is the set for them.

1. 4K picture quality is absolutely beautiful. The detail and clarity is amazing. The colors really pop and stand out. The blacks are very good. Near OLED levels but I would probably still give OLED a slight edge.

2. I have FIOS and the upscaling is very good.

3. I do not watch hockey but since there is so much talk about DSE, I checked out a hockey game and to be honest, couldn't really tell. I even tried one of those DSE tests on YouTube and maybe saw a little minor DSE here and there but you would have to be seriously looking for it to notice. It definitely wasn't happening enough for me to be a deal breaker or drive me crazy and no where as bad as some of the example videos I have seen on the internet.

4. Have not seen any vertical banding so far. (Had to google images on the internet to know what it looks like)

5. There is also very minimal blooming but again no where as bad as examples on the web. I suppose it is inherent with LED TVs? Definitely doesn't take away from the viewing experience for me and is a vast improvement from my much older set that it is replacing.

6. There is an issue with the wifi auto connecting to my network. Doesn't seem to be able to obtain an IP automatically and my AP right next to the TV. Had to manually enter IP, DNS, and gateway to connect. Will probably need to check with Samsung support on that.

7. Motion is great to me. I watch a lot of baseball and on my old set, when the ball is in the air, you would see the ball streaking. There is none of that on the Q80R. Can't wait for the new season to begin.

8. Love the look of the TV itself. The brushed gray color is a very classy look in my opinion.

Hope this helps others who are deciding if this is the right set for them. I am loving this TV so far and have no regrets with my purchase.
joe221, js950, wildgator25 and 6 others like this.
post #83 of 1256 Old 03-10-2019, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJarvis View Post
Just saw this video. Shows tv at angles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyZSfsb4Dhk
Samsung aced it with viewing angles. We also know the screens can suffer from DSE and banding...same as all tv models and makes...including Oleds. What we need now are owner black level reports. On this model and the Q90R. Just how true are the "Inky Oled like blacks" pro-reviewers reports.

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
post #84 of 1256 Old 03-10-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruc3L3r0y View Post
Update on my Q80

Hey guys, so it's been almost a week since my Q80 was delivered. I have played around with the picture settings, trying different configs with the local dimming, auto motion, contrast enhancer, backlight, brightness, etc. Ran out and bought Planet Earth 2 and Avengers Infinity War 4K Blu-rays to test out the 4K and HDR. If you really want something to show off the amazing 4K picture of this set, definitely pick up Planet Earth 2. The picture is absolutely stunning with Planet Earth 2.

Here are my impressions so far (I am no expert and don't have any test equipment so these are just my opinions but I hope it helps others decide if this is the set for them.

1. 4K picture quality is absolutely beautiful. The detail and clarity is amazing. The colors really pop and stand out. The blacks are very good. Near OLED levels but I would probably still give OLED a slight edge.

3. I do not watch hockey but since there is so much talk about DSE, I checked out a hockey game and to be honest, couldn't really tell. I even tried one of those DSE tests on YouTube and maybe saw a little minor DSE here and there but you would have to be seriously looking for it to notice. It definitely wasn't happening enough for me to be a deal breaker or drive me crazy and no where as bad as some of the example videos I have seen on the internet.

4. Have not seen any vertical banding so far. (Had to google images on the internet to know what it looks like)

5. There is also very minimal blooming but again no where as bad as examples on the web. I suppose it is inherent with LED TVs? Definitely doesn't take away from the viewing experience for me and is a vast improvement from my much older set that it is replacing.

6. There is an issue with the wifi auto connecting to my network. Doesn't seem to be able to obtain an IP automatically and my AP right next to the TV. Had to manually enter IP, DNS, and gateway to connect. Will probably need to check with Samsung support on that.

7. Motion is great to me. I watch a lot of baseball and on my old set, when the ball is in the air, you would see the ball streaking. There is none of that on the Q80R. Can't wait for the new season to begin.

8. Love the look of the TV itself. The brushed gray color is a very classy look in my opinion.

Hope this helps others who are deciding if this is the right set for them. I am loving this TV so far and have no regrets with my purchase.
Sounds great, thanks for such an informative post! And thanks for the tip on Planet Earth 2. I was in BB the other day admiring some of the gorgeous 4K images and was thinking when I finally get a 4K TV I’d want something to show it off and just admire myself. Also appreciate your checking out a hockey game. That’s a good test not only of DSE but of motion. If you can see the puck that’s a solid test. As for blooming, are you watching off angle at all?
post #85 of 1256 Old 03-10-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbar View Post
Samsung aced it with viewing angles. We also know the screens can suffer from DSE and banding...same as all tv models and makes...including Oleds. What we need now are owner black level reports. On this model and the Q90R. Just how true are the "Inky Oled like blacks" pro-reviewers reports.

Indeed. It's pretty groundbreaking. It's something that's been much needed for the VA panel. I am so excited to see this set in person. Hoping Best Buy gets them on display soon.
post #86 of 1256 Old 03-10-2019, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Update on my Q80

Sounding good. Do you see gray black bars top/bottom when watching a wide screen movie in a dark room (lights out)...or do they appear black (gone, only the wide screen image to be seen)?

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
post #87 of 1256 Old 03-10-2019, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2365 Post(s)
Liked: 1944
Quote:
Update on my Q80

Thanks for sharing. You wouln't happen to be a golf fan? Watching football and baseball was not an issue on my Q8FN but DSE was noticeable enough to be distracting with golf.

LG 65B8 - Primary
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Sonos Playbase
MS Xbox One S (using strictly as a disk player)
post #88 of 1256 Old 03-10-2019, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJarvis View Post
Indeed. It's pretty groundbreaking. It's something that's been much needed for the VA panel. I am so excited to see this set in person. Hoping Best Buy gets them on display soon.
It truly is. Viewing angles has been a down fall of LCD screens all along. This is a quiet, but in reality, major breakthrough.

Last edited by Kenbar; 03-10-2019 at 10:20 AM.
post #89 of 1256 Old 03-10-2019, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbar View Post
Sounding good. Do you see gray black bars top/bottom when watching a wide screen movie in a dark room (lights out)...or do they appear black (gone, only the wide screen image to be seen)?
They are black.
Kenbar likes this.
post #90 of 1256 Old 03-10-2019, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
Thanks for sharing. You wouln't happen to be a golf fan? Watching football and baseball was not an issue on my Q8FN but DSE was noticeable enough to be distracting with golf.
Sorry I do not watch golf but more than happy to check it out. Where and when do you notice DSE during golf?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page