Update on my Q80
Hey guys, so it's been almost a week since my Q80 was delivered. I have played around with the picture settings, trying different configs with the local dimming, auto motion, contrast enhancer, backlight, brightness, etc. Ran out and bought Planet Earth 2 and Avengers Infinity War 4K Blu-rays to test out the 4K and HDR. If you really want something to show off the amazing 4K picture of this set, definitely pick up Planet Earth 2. The picture is absolutely stunning with Planet Earth 2.
Here are my impressions so far (I am no expert and don't have any test equipment so these are just my opinions but I hope it helps others decide if this is the set for them.
1. 4K picture quality is absolutely beautiful. The detail and clarity is amazing. The colors really pop and stand out. The blacks are very good. Near OLED levels but I would probably still give OLED a slight edge.
2. I have FIOS and the upscaling is very good.
3. I do not watch hockey but since there is so much talk about DSE, I checked out a hockey game and to be honest, couldn't really tell. I even tried one of those DSE tests on YouTube and maybe saw a little minor DSE here and there but you would have to be seriously looking for it to notice. It definitely wasn't happening enough for me to be a deal breaker or drive me crazy and no where as bad as some of the example videos I have seen on the internet.
4. Have not seen any vertical banding so far. (Had to google images on the internet to know what it looks like)
5. There is also very minimal blooming but again no where as bad as examples on the web. I suppose it is inherent with LED TVs? Definitely doesn't take away from the viewing experience for me and is a vast improvement from my much older set that it is replacing.
6. There is an issue with the wifi auto connecting to my network. Doesn't seem to be able to obtain an IP automatically and my AP right next to the TV. Had to manually enter IP, DNS, and gateway to connect. Will probably need to check with Samsung support on that.
7. Motion is great to me. I watch a lot of baseball and on my old set, when the ball is in the air, you would see the ball streaking. There is none of that on the Q80R. Can't wait for the new season to begin.
8. Love the look of the TV itself. The brushed gray color is a very classy look in my opinion.
Hope this helps others who are deciding if this is the right set for them. I am loving this TV so far and have no regrets with my purchase.