2019 Samsung Q80R Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 38 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 411Likes

post #1111 of 1433 Old 11-25-2019, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Anyone with a 75” mind sharing the distance from the bottom wall mounting hole to the bottom of the tv?

I have very small margin for error above my center speaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 1433 Old 11-25-2019, 09:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Hi all!

I took delivery of a 65” Q80R this past Saturday. Oh my what a set! I had a 70” KU6300 that developed a line horizontally crossing the screen just below the mid point. It was claimed under my DirecTV coverage program. Instead of the low end Sammy 75” I was offered I was able to get a buy out of just under a grand and shop for myself. I was seriously thinking of a B9 65” LG but after seeing some burn in videos and liking to watch a lot of news, CNN and MSNBC burned in wasn’t sounding too good. After some research and rtings videos I settled on this set and is it beautiful!
I’m working my way through this forum to learn all I can. I’m currently on page 6 but realized I need to post. I’m still playing with image settings but am satisfied for now. The old set was nice but wasn’t in the same league. I traded the size for being able to bump up quality to notches unknown. I get a smaller feel only because the bezel is so damn thin. It’s still more than big enough.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
post #1113 of 1433 Old 11-25-2019, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgyenese View Post
I’ve tried using a razor blade in the corner on mine - there is no film that I can find.

I also had none on mine... brand new out of the box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1114 of 1433 Old 11-25-2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_wayne View Post
Anyone with a 75” mind sharing the distance from the bottom wall mounting hole to the bottom of the tv?

I measure 12" on mine.
post #1115 of 1433 Old 11-25-2019, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I’ve tried using a razor blade in the corner on mine - there is no film that I can find.

Is yours an 82" model? My 82" Q80R had no protective film on the screen itself. It only had the padded protective strips on the edges, and the clear film on the bezels. The unboxing videos I've seen on the smaller models showed a very obvious sticker that starts the peeling off process of the screen film. My 82 didn't have that.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #1116 of 1433 Old 11-25-2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDyRa View Post
I measure 12" on mine.

Thank you!

post #1117 of 1433 Old 11-25-2019, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonwatkins View Post
Is yours an 82" model? My 82" Q80R had no protective film on the screen itself. It only had the padded protective strips on the edges, and the clear film on the bezels. The unboxing videos I've seen on the smaller models showed a very obvious sticker that starts the peeling off process of the screen film. My 82 didn't have that.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Yes, mine is an 82” model. I saw some unboxing videos where the film needed to be removed too, which is why I came here to see what others reported.
It’s an absolutely stunning tv...I couldn’t be happier.
post #1118 of 1433 Old 11-26-2019, 06:24 AM

What’s the overall consensus in this group with how the TVs performs With motion?

I’ve read a handful of complaints on reddit that live action sports can get pretty pixelated and/or show heavy shadow effect.

post #1119 of 1433 Old 11-26-2019, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by strugler View Post
Hey guys need some help!

I am looking into geting the Samsung Q80R but the one here in Morocco, where i live, comes with the new one connect box similar to Q90R. the exact model is: QA65Q80RASXMV
My onlky reason that i have not purchased yet is regarding HDMI 2.1, with it probably coming to 2020 Tv's.
Now, i have 3 questions:

1- Do you think Samsung would allow owners of the Q80 and Q90 to upgrade to a 2.1 one connect box sometimes next year?

2- Besides the one connect box, is this version similar to Q85R? this is the same Q80r sold in australia and Newzealand and Australia

3- Also, does the Q90R on connect box work with Q80R? since Q90R has [email protected] at 4.2.2

Thanks
Can anyone help with this please
post #1120 of 1433 Old 11-26-2019, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
hi friends, i need help, do any of you have the original Service Menu ADC / WB values
post #1121 of 1433 Old 11-26-2019, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New Q80 owner

So I purchased and installed a 65 inch Q80R and have some questions. The TV produced a great picture and everything seems to be working right, except for the fact that I do notice a fair amount of DSE/Jail Bar effect during sports and games when the camera pans. It's faint, but its distracting. I've done extensive research on the topic, but don't really know if I should contact Samsung or not. How normal is this? I'd say outside of the faint jail bar effect, the screen looks pretty uniform in terms of color on grey test patterns.

According to the box, this is version AD03, but I cannot find any information about this panel type. Any help/feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!
post #1122 of 1433 Old 11-26-2019, 03:08 PM

Liked: 12
OK..I am a owner of a LG B8 OLED 65 inch TV. I decided I need a 75 inch set.

I have been debating between the Vizio PX series which is on sale at Costco and the Samsung QR80 on sale at BestBuy

Concerns on the Vizio is the QC and for the Samsung it is the lack of Dolby Vision.

Any suggestions. Looking to grad one today before the Thanskgiving shpping craze
post #1123 of 1433 Old 11-26-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrktank View Post
OK..I am a owner of a LG B8 OLED 65 inch TV. I decided I need a 75 inch set.

I have been debating between the Vizio PX series which is on sale at Costco and the Samsung QR80 on sale at BestBuy

Concerns on the Vizio is the QC and for the Samsung it is the lack of Dolby Vision.

Any suggestions. Looking to grad one today before the Thanskgiving shpping craze

Right there with you, adding in the Sony 950. Did you decide on one?

I don’t mind losing DV, but I’ve also heard of bad DSE and motion issues on Samsung.

post #1124 of 1433 Old 11-26-2019, 05:25 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_wayne View Post
Right there with you, adding in the Sony 950. Did you decide on one?

I don’t mind losing DV, but I’ve also heard of bad DSE and motion issues on Samsung.

Well

Going to sleep on it this evening.

I really enjoy Vudu and Apple TV DV content.

I think Samsung is perhaps the better TV and price is really good right now.

Will tinker with DV off on Apple TV and watch content from Vudu without DV.

The other issue is to perhaps wait and get the 77inch OLED, but little too much to convince the wife.

Leaning heavy to Samsung, but depends upon the dreaded DV
post #1125 of 1433 Old 11-26-2019, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked: 2346
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrktank View Post
Well

Going to sleep on it this evening.

I really enjoy Vudu and Apple TV DV content.

I think Samsung is perhaps the better TV and price is really good right now.

Will tinker with DV off on Apple TV and watch content from Vudu without DV.

The other issue is to perhaps wait and get the 77inch OLED, but little too much to convince the wife.

Leaning heavy to Samsung, but depends upon the dreaded DV
Wives are okay with choices, Sony A9G 77", LG C9 77". Roses & Restaurant wouldn't hurt. Christmas is only once a year.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #1126 of 1433 Old 11-26-2019, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Returned my Sony OLED for a Samsung Q80

So.... I did a ton of research to upgrade my TV and decided to buy a 65" Sony A8G OLED.

I had it installed, mounted etc.
The picture was absolutely fantastic, but a few things just didn't sit well with me.

#1- The brightness. This TV just didn't get very bright, even after calibration, I just didn't like how dark it was. I know this is an issue with OLEDs. I have a decently bright room, with 7 windows, and the sun rises into those windows and stays that way for most of the day. The reflections were pretty noticeable, and even in vivid mode it seemed dark.

#2- With almost all 4k coming in widescreen with black bars, the images I was watching were just too small for my liking. It looked beautiful don't get me wrong, but it was smaller than I wanted, and was not as bright as I desired. This made me think that getting a bigger screen would help combat the black bars.

These two things were essentially deal breakers for, and for the price of the TV, I wanted to be a bit happier with my purchase.

I went to Best Buy and explained all of my reasons, and the salesman directed me to the Samsung Q80 in the 75" version. He convinced me to buy it, based on my concerns.

My big question is, how steep of a drop off is this TV from a 65" Sony Ag8 OLED? I know the picture quality will take a hit, but how big of an decrease am I looking at? Is it worth gaining a bigger, brighter TV, with less picture quality? Is the few hundred extra dollars for the 75"Q80 worth it? How's the motion difference? I will be 100% streaming on this TV with some minor Xbox games occasionally.

I really don't want to get this Samsung Q80R delivered and set up, only to decide I missed the picture quality of the Sony. It's being delivered in a week, so I have some time to make a decision.

Any advice or insight would be appreciated.
post #1127 of 1433 Old 11-26-2019, 08:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 173
I just purchased the 82", does it have a protective film covering the entire screen? Anyone else who has purchased this size that can attest to whether it does or doesn't. I can't be certain, I think so since it isn't real glossy, but I can't seem to get under it with my nail and don't want to damage it. I've seen videos of the smaller sizes with it being removed but it's not obvious on this one.

Edit: I see now the discussion above that says it doesn't. Odd, it almost feels plastic like under my nail when I scrape at the screen instead of like scraping at glass. I tried chat with Samsung which proved worthless, I'll try again tomorrow.

Last edited by djc11369; 11-26-2019 at 08:37 PM.
post #1128 of 1433 Old 11-26-2019, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edjesus View Post
hi friends, i need help, do any of you have the original Service Menu ADC / WB values
I see that you posted the identical question over in the Q8FN owner's forum. Which model of television do you own, the Q80R or the Q8FN?
post #1129 of 1433 Old 11-26-2019, 09:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Quoted: 12996 Post(s)
Liked: 10634
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:

Film on mine.
post #1130 of 1433 Old 11-26-2019, 09:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Quoted: 12996 Post(s)
Liked: 10634
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by djc11369 View Post
I just purchased the 82", does it have a protective film covering the entire screen? Anyone else who has purchased this size that can attest to whether it does or doesn't. I can't be certain, I think so since it isn't real glossy, but I can't seem to get under it with my nail and don't want to damage it. I've seen videos of the smaller sizes with it being removed but it's not obvious on this one.

Edit: I see now the discussion above that says it doesn't. Odd, it almost feels plastic like under my nail when I scrape at the screen instead of like scraping at glass. I tried chat with Samsung which proved worthless, I'll try again tomorrow.
The 75" has a protective film. Peel tab was in upper left corner.
joe221 likes this.
post #1131 of 1433 Old 11-26-2019, 09:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked: 2346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithfaced View Post
Returned my Sony OLED for a Samsung Q80

So.... I did a ton of research to upgrade my TV and decided to buy a 65" Sony A8G OLED.

I had it installed, mounted etc.
The picture was absolutely fantastic, but a few things just didn't sit well with me.

#1- The brightness. This TV just didn't get very bright, even after calibration, I just didn't like how dark it was. I know this is an issue with OLEDs. I have a decently bright room, with 7 windows, and the sun rises into those windows and stays that way for most of the day. The reflections were pretty noticeable, and even in vivid mode it seemed dark.

#2- With almost all 4k coming in widescreen with black bars, the images I was watching were just too small for my liking. It looked beautiful don't get me wrong, but it was smaller than I wanted, and was not as bright as I desired. This made me think that getting a bigger screen would help combat the black bars.

These two things were essentially deal breakers for, and for the price of the TV, I wanted to be a bit happier with my purchase.

I went to Best Buy and explained all of my reasons, and the salesman directed me to the Samsung Q80 in the 75" version. He convinced me to buy it, based on my concerns.

My big question is, how steep of a drop off is this TV from a 65" Sony Ag8 OLED? I know the picture quality will take a hit, but how big of an decrease am I looking at? Is it worth gaining a bigger, brighter TV, with less picture quality? Is the few hundred extra dollars for the 75"Q80 worth it? How's the motion difference? I will be 100% streaming on this TV with some minor Xbox games occasionally.

I really don't want to get this Samsung Q80R delivered and set up, only to decide I missed the picture quality of the Sony. It's being delivered in a week, so I have some time to make a decision.

Any advice or insight would be appreciated.
OLED is always going to be difficult for that room. The Samsung Q80R would be better, but could also be troublesome. It's not what I would call an all-'round TV for a variably-lit room.

Since you're considering Ultra Viewing Angle with Samsung, the Sony X950G 75" might be the ticket. If wide angle isn't necessary, Sony X900F 75". Both have the brightness you desire.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #1132 of 1433 Old 11-26-2019, 09:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Did your set have the long hard protective rectangles on each end of the screen? If to those were taped to the large shiny screen protector. My 65” has the screen protector, the long bars, the clear film all around the bezel and the clear tape covering the controls under the Samsung logo. All off now.

post #1133 of 1433 Old 11-26-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithfaced View Post

I have experience previously with an LG OLED (don't buy LG - appalling warranty support).
I see my new 75" Q80 as an upgrade over the OLED. Sure you could get every individual pixel turning on and off with OLEDs but you sacrifice contrast ratio - they just don't get bright enough to accurately reflect the HDR encoded into videos.

The picture on my Q80 is stunning. Bold colors, crisp 4K resolution and dynamically contrasted pictures that really pop when fed good quality video signals.
Some things to note:
- out of box the TVs crush blacks a little - but blacks can get nice and inky.
- some minor blooming can appear on highly contrasted light extremes (full white text on completely black backgrounds) - but this happens rarely on the content I watch so it doesn't bother me.
joe221 likes this.
post #1134 of 1433 Old 11-26-2019, 10:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, I’m making progress from the Saturday delivery. I’m up to page 20 of this forum and thanks for all the help, I’m learning a lot. Thanks to the OP, I’m using your settings at the moment and loving the results on Standard. If you updated it was from before page 20.

If I understand on the tag with the serial and model numbers is a Version number. That’s the panel manufacturer? Mine is FC04 and haven’t seen that mentioned to where I’m at reading. Is this the correct number and does somebody know which panel it is? Thanks.

I took some screen shots as other than a slight darkening in the mid upper left, I did the hockey test video, it looks very good to my eyes. I’m using an iPhone X as my camera. One is from the built in video demo but I got it from YouTube.

I’m also linking to my doorbell video of how gently OnTrac delivered my TV. Got in the building and left it. I was home waiting for it. I didn’t initially watch the video I was too excited about getting the TV.

ETA: 11/27
I just saw a post about FC04, that it’s a Samsung panel.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	73EED65D-B7C3-4238-8DE8-01F94282E71F.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	2646154   Click image for larger version

Name:	942D3725-FFCC-48D8-975C-0982A227640E.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	2646156   Click image for larger version

Name:	DE29C475-638C-49C0-9A80-9228B0C9AF48.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	2646158  

Last edited by joe221; 11-27-2019 at 10:44 AM.
post #1135 of 1433 Old 11-27-2019, 04:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
The 75" has a protective film. Peel tab was in upper left corner.

No peel tab on this one. The different sized screens may be made from different sources so they may not all be the same. This is why I was asking for input from those who have the 82", better chance they have the same screen manufacturer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe221 View Post
Did your set have the long hard protective rectangles on each end of the screen? If to those were taped to the large shiny screen protector. My 65” has the screen protector, the long bars, the clear film all around the bezel and the clear tape covering the controls under the Samsung logo. All off now.

It did have the hard protective rectangles on each end and the film around the outside bezel. If it is on the screen it was put on really well to the point of being indistinguishable, no bubbles and no overhang. Wouldn't be the first item I bought that I discovered a year later it had a protective film on it.
joe221 likes this.
post #1136 of 1433 Old 11-27-2019, 05:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
No peel tab on this one. The different sized screens may be made from different sources so they may not all be the same. This is why I was asking for input from those who have the 82", better chance they have the same screen manufacturer.

It did have the hard protective rectangles on each end and the film around the outside bezel. If it is on the screen it was put on really well to the point of being indistinguishable, no bubbles and no overhang. Wouldn't be the first item I bought that I discovered a year later it had a protective film on it.
Use a small flashlight, like the flashlight from your phone, and point it at the screen. Does the light bounce back fairly straight and is still mostly white? That's the protective film. Does the light spread out and seem more brown, with a rainbow shimmer effect on the outside edges of the light? That's the anti-glare and wide angle dispersion.
joe221 likes this.

Samsung 75Q9FN
Samsung HW-N950
Samsung UBD-M9500

Samsung 55Q80R - Bedroom
post #1137 of 1433 Old 11-27-2019, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I asked for a replacement. My tv have 11 days but my salesman wants it repaired (change the panel) I'm not too sure.
I am not able to ignore the see the right purple color.

this picture is from the "selft diagnostic" on the tv
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191126_060914.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	380.6 KB
ID:	2646220   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191125_201545.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	297.9 KB
ID:	2646222   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191125_201417.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	572.3 KB
ID:	2646224  
post #1138 of 1433 Old 11-27-2019, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac1dl0rd View Post
I asked for a replacement. My tv have 11 days but my salesman wants it repaired (change the panel) I'm not too sure.
I am not able to ignore the see the right purple color.

this picture is from the "selft diagnostic" on the tv
I agree, the shadowing is awful. Has Samsung Support suggested a treat?

post #1139 of 1433 Old 11-27-2019, 07:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe221 View Post
I agree, the shadowing is awful. Has Samsung Support suggested a treat?
Anybody update there Q80 to the latest firmware yet?
Do we know what has been added, do wish you could roll back if it causes issues.
Cheers

Denon 3400h, Kef LS50s, Q100 center, PSB Sub Series 125 and Paradigm adp-190s, Atrium4 Front Heights
55 Q80r, Optoma HD 2200, ps3 and HTPC- Living Rm

Yamaha YAS108, 55 lg lk520-Bed Rm
post #1140 of 1433 Old 11-27-2019, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm trying to wrap my head around this.  I'm brand new to the 4k game as I received my Q80r about a week ago.  I now have a brand new Fire TV Cube (2nd gen) hooked up to a 4k Television (Samsung Q80r)

Before I received the Fire TV Cube, I was using Samsungs Built-in apps for the past week.   I downloaded the ATT TV Now app on to the TV directly via Samsungs built in app store and it seemed to look really nice.  I assume there is up scaling going on because everything was super sharp, and ATTVNOW definitely doesn't transmit in 4k.

Fast-forward a week.  I hooked up the Fire TV Cube and downloaded the ATT TV Now app, and it looks like the TV is not up scaling the content anymore, or at least not as good as it did with the built in TV app.

I don't think It's app specific, but I haven't tried any other apps yet.  Here are my thoughts.

1) Is it possible the Samsung TV is not up scaling the content because the Fire TV is always putting out a 4k signal regardless of what app is opened on the Fire TV?   I checked input information on the TV itself, and it's receiving a 4k signal from the Fire TV
2) I did change the output of my Fire TV to 1080p just to test, but that didn't seem to make a difference.

Thoughts and guesses as to why the Fire TV Cube content transmitted in less than 4k (such as 720 or 1080) isn't being up scaled correctly compared to the built in Samsung TV apps? Does the Samsung TV only do up scaling with its built in apps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page