2019 Samsung Q80R Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 411Likes

post #91 of 1433 Old 03-10-2019, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruc3L3r0y View Post
They are black.
Thanks! Between viewing angles and true black bars...sounds like LCD's are going to be very competitive with other technologies this year.

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1433 Old 03-10-2019, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2365 Post(s)
Liked: 1946
Quote:
Sorry I do not watch golf but more than happy to check it out. Where and when do you notice DSE during golf?
Panning shots of the fairways and greens. TIA!

LG 65B8 - Primary
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Sonos Playbase
MS Xbox One S (using strictly as a disk player)
post #93 of 1433 Old 03-10-2019, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Update on my Q80

Hey guys, so it's been almost a week since my Q80 was delivered. I have played around with the picture settings, trying different configs with the local dimming, auto motion, contrast enhancer, backlight, brightness, etc. Ran out and bought Planet Earth 2 and Avengers Infinity War 4K Blu-rays to test out the 4K and HDR. If you really want something to show off the amazing 4K picture of this set, definitely pick up Planet Earth 2. The picture is absolutely stunning with Planet Earth 2.

Here are my impressions so far (I am no expert and don't have any test equipment so these are just my opinions but I hope it helps others decide if this is the set for them.

1. 4K picture quality is absolutely beautiful. The detail and clarity is amazing. The colors really pop and stand out. The blacks are very good. Near OLED levels but I would probably still give OLED a slight edge.

2. I have FIOS and the upscaling is very good.

3. I do not watch hockey but since there is so much talk about DSE, I checked out a hockey game and to be honest, couldn't really tell. I even tried one of those DSE tests on YouTube and maybe saw a little minor DSE here and there but you would have to be seriously looking for it to notice. It definitely wasn't happening enough for me to be a deal breaker or drive me crazy and no where as bad as some of the example videos I have seen on the internet.

4. Have not seen any vertical banding so far. (Had to google images on the internet to know what it looks like)

5. There is also very minimal blooming but again no where as bad as examples on the web. I suppose it is inherent with LED TVs? Definitely doesn't take away from the viewing experience for me and is a vast improvement from my much older set that it is replacing.

6. There is an issue with the wifi auto connecting to my network. Doesn't seem to be able to obtain an IP automatically and my AP right next to the TV. Had to manually enter IP, DNS, and gateway to connect. Will probably need to check with Samsung support on that.

7. Motion is great to me. I watch a lot of baseball and on my old set, when the ball is in the air, you would see the ball streaking. There is none of that on the Q80R. Can't wait for the new season to begin.

8. Love the look of the TV itself. The brushed gray color is a very classy look in my opinion.

Hope this helps others who are deciding if this is the right set for them. I am loving this TV so far and have no regrets with my purchase.
Finally some positive news in this sea of negativity and gloom.
Much appreciated sir...
I have my eyes on q85r and Q80R
1. How do you find the colors, natural enough for you in movie mode?
2. Upscaling: it is supposed to be improved on lower source content...good enough on normal broadcast ?
3. Blooming...you said the black bars are jet black? Please try and play the latest Spider-Man multiverse scenes and see if black bars stay black please...Sony tv failed this test a lot.

Thanks again for giving us all some hope..
Share some pics just for the pleasure if possibles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 1433 Old 03-10-2019, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
Quote:
Sorry I do not watch golf but more than happy to check it out. Where and when do you notice DSE during golf?
OK so I just checked out the live tournament on the Golf Channel and I think I do see some minimal DSE but I had to stare really hard to notice it. I should mention that I'm still not 100% sure what it is suppose to look like. I had to Google example videos to get a sense of what to look for.
joe221, venus933, srkmish and 1 others like this.
post #95 of 1433 Old 03-10-2019, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldy2018 View Post
Much appreciated sir...
2. Upscaling: it is supposed to be improved on lower source content...good enough on normal broadcast ?
3. Blooming...you said the black bars are jet black? Please try and play the latest Spider-Man multiverse scenes and see if black bars stay black please...Sony tv failed this test a lot.

I personally love the colors in movie mode, especially when the room is dark. Haven't had a chance to properly calibrate the expert color settings just yet. But what I have seen so far looks pretty natural to me.

The upscaling of 1080p sources are very good in my opinion. I definitely see more details now.

I will need to wait until tonight when it is dark to check out Spider-Man and the black bars. Will update when I have had a chance.
srkmish and Kenbar like this.
post #96 of 1433 Old 03-10-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Much appreciated sir...

I personally love the colors in movie mode, especially when the room is dark. Haven't had a chance to properly calibrate the expert color settings just yet. But what I have seen so far looks pretty natural to me.

The upscaling of 1080p sources are very good in my opinion. I definitely see more details now.

I will need to wait until tonight when it is dark to check out Spider-Man and the black bars. Will update when I have had a chance.
Thank you sir, much appreciated
If you can take some pics in natural and movie mode please.
post #97 of 1433 Old 03-10-2019, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Update on my Q80

Hey guys, so it's been almost a week since my Q80 was delivered. I have played around with the picture settings, trying different configs with the local dimming, auto motion, contrast enhancer, backlight, brightness, etc. Ran out and bought Planet Earth 2 and Avengers Infinity War 4K Blu-rays to test out the 4K and HDR. If you really want something to show off the amazing 4K picture of this set, definitely pick up Planet Earth 2. The picture is absolutely stunning with Planet Earth 2.

Here are my impressions so far (I am no expert and don't have any test equipment so these are just my opinions but I hope it helps others decide if this is the set for them.

1. 4K picture quality is absolutely beautiful. The detail and clarity is amazing. The colors really pop and stand out. The blacks are very good. Near OLED levels but I would probably still give OLED a slight edge.

2. I have FIOS and the upscaling is very good.

3. I do not watch hockey but since there is so much talk about DSE, I checked out a hockey game and to be honest, couldn't really tell. I even tried one of those DSE tests on YouTube and maybe saw a little minor DSE here and there but you would have to be seriously looking for it to notice. It definitely wasn't happening enough for me to be a deal breaker or drive me crazy and no where as bad as some of the example videos I have seen on the internet.

4. Have not seen any vertical banding so far. (Had to google images on the internet to know what it looks like)

5. There is also very minimal blooming but again no where as bad as examples on the web. I suppose it is inherent with LED TVs? Definitely doesn't take away from the viewing experience for me and is a vast improvement from my much older set that it is replacing.

6. There is an issue with the wifi auto connecting to my network. Doesn't seem to be able to obtain an IP automatically and my AP right next to the TV. Had to manually enter IP, DNS, and gateway to connect. Will probably need to check with Samsung support on that.

7. Motion is great to me. I watch a lot of baseball and on my old set, when the ball is in the air, you would see the ball streaking. There is none of that on the Q80R. Can't wait for the new season to begin.

8. Love the look of the TV itself. The brushed gray color is a very classy look in my opinion.

Hope this helps others who are deciding if this is the right set for them. I am loving this TV so far and have no regrets with my purchase.

Thank you a million times for posting info this way...Has me so excited. =)

LIke you I'm also a FIOS person and now I cant wait to get my set.
Will pay it forward by posting a similar batch of info on my findings.
post #98 of 1433 Old 03-10-2019, 12:29 PM

Sorry but have to ask: what is FIOS ?
Some kind of subscription or something?
post #99 of 1433 Old 03-10-2019, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
FIOS is Verizon's competing service to Cable driven Internet and TV.
Different approaches, different delivery mechanisms but in the end the content both FIOS and Cable deliver is still Internet and TV.
post #100 of 1433 Old 03-10-2019, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Quote:
Much appreciated sir...

Another 1080p film I’d be interested in hearing about is The Half Blood Prince, especially the beginning. I was in BB and had them play that on the Sony A9F since my current TV struggled with some shadow detail. The Sony surprisingly didn’t do as well as I had hoped. The newspaper Harry was reading in the train station coffee shop was not clear in some of the scenes. Maybe it’s not meant to be clear but somehow I feel it should’ve been clearer. Not the close up of it but when shown from a distance.
post #101 of 1433 Old 03-10-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwprof View Post
Quote:
FIOS is Verizon's competing service to Cable driven Internet and TV.
Different approaches, different delivery mechanisms but in the end the content both FIOS and Cable deliver is still Internet and TV.
Thank you 🙂
post #102 of 1433 Old 03-10-2019, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
ball in sky or lots of green with a slow moving camera.
post #103 of 1433 Old 03-10-2019, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 5134
Quote:
Much appreciated sir...

Gravity is another good movie to test for black letterbox bars.

And 'jet black' is not really sufficient.

To do this test properly, you need to view in a pitch-black room (no lights on) and the letterbox bars should be utterly invisible (the image should truly be floating).

Of course, if you watch with any lights on, this level of true blackness is immaterial, but for those of us seeking a true floating image in a dark-room viewing environment, the letterbox bars need to be truly invisible (and not just jet black).

[EDIT: Correction - 'jet black' is plenty black enough: https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/jet-black.html

"'jet-black' is still the epitome of blackness. You can have 'as black as coal', 'as black as pitch' or even 'as black as Newgate's knocker',' but for the real blackest blackness we resort to 'as black as jet'."

For whatever reason, when I think of Jet Black I think of the color of the Stealth Bomber...

Last edited by fafrd; 03-10-2019 at 01:42 PM.
post #104 of 1433 Old 03-10-2019, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
OK so I just checked out the live tournament on the Golf Channel and I think I do see some minimal DSE but I had to stare really hard to notice it. I should mention that I'm still not 100% sure what it is suppose to look like. I had to Google example videos to get a sense of what to look for.
Careful, these guys will have you seeing DSE in everything and you’ll no longer enjoy your TV. Unless you don’t mind being a guinea pig I wouldn’t keep looking for it but that’s just me.
kamouflage and New24K like this.
post #105 of 1433 Old 03-10-2019, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2365 Post(s)
Liked: 1946
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Gravity is another good movie to test for black letterbox bars.

And 'jet black' is not really sufficient.

To do this test properly, you need to view in a pitch-black room (no lights on) and the letterbox bars should be utterly invisible (the image should truly be floating).

Of course, if you watch with any lights on, this level of true blackness is immaterial, but for those of us seeking a true floating image in a dark-room viewing environment, the letterbox bars need to be truly invisible (and not just jet black).

[EDIT: Correction - 'jet black' is plenty black enough: https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/jet-black.html

"'jet-black' is still the epitome of blackness. You can have 'as black as coal', 'as black as pitch' or even 'as black as Newgate's knocker',' but for the real blackest blackness we resort to 'as black as jet'."

For whatever reason, when I think of Jet Black I think of the color of the Stealth Bomber...
The Q8FN for some aspect ratios is able to completely shutoff the LED behind the black bars. I suspect this will hold true with the Q80R. This feature from Samsung has been available for some time now although there may have been a couple of years when it wasn't available.

LG 65B8 - Primary
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Sonos Playbase
MS Xbox One S (using strictly as a disk player)

Last edited by venus933; 03-10-2019 at 01:58 PM.
post #106 of 1433 Old 03-10-2019, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

Alright. Somebody pass me the aspirin. "Inky blacks" are what we are looking for..."Oled like inky blacks" Not coal blacks, not Stealth bomber blacks, not pitch blacks, not Newgate knockers blacks. Inky blacks...nothing less will do.

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
post #107 of 1433 Old 03-10-2019, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The Q8FN for some aspect ratios is able to completely shutoff the LED behind the black bars. I suspect this will hold true with the Q80R. This feature from Samsung has been available for some time now although there may have been a couple of years when it wasn't available.
This is what I'm looking for. Enough zones so they can just be shut off and match the different aspect ratio's. And...be jet black. Or what ever...fafrd...said

post #108 of 1433 Old 03-10-2019, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 5134
Quote:
DSE is when nonuniformity on the screen (think about drops of water splattered on a camera lens) make the screen visible during a pan of the scene - while everything you see is supposed to shift during a pan, the nonuniformity / drops of water do not shift and make youaware that you are viewing through a 'dirty screen' rather than directly (or through a clean sheet of glass).

Anytime the screen makes it's presence known because of dirtiness / nonuniformity, especially during pans over relatively uniform scenes, that is DSE...
Cuthalu likes this.
post #109 of 1433 Old 03-10-2019, 03:42 PM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7017 Post(s)
Liked: 7034
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotoriousBIL View Post
It seems dse is the biggest worry with a lot of people considering Samsung’s QLEDs. I can definitely speak on behalf of 2018 Q8FN. The DSE and banding was pretty bad which is why I accepted Samsung’s offer to upgrade to the 2019 Q80R.
These 2 issues seen to be a trait's with LED's and OLED's. I do not think we will ever have displays that do not have these trait's to some degree......
post #110 of 1433 Old 03-10-2019, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Much appreciated sir...

I don't know if you would consider it jet black but the bars stayed consistently black the whole time as far as I could tell.

Keep in mind my camera phone is not the greatest with dark shots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190310_221930_1552271438114.jpg
Views:	1026
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	2537150  

Last edited by Bruc3L3r0y; 03-10-2019 at 09:18 PM.
post #111 of 1433 Old 03-10-2019, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Can anyone confirm 400 x 400mm is the VESA mount for the 75" Q80r? Samsung's site doesn't say jack sh1t about which VESA size just that it's compatiable. BH photo has the size listed. I'm trying to pre-order a wall mount. Any suggestions? Don't need a zero gap mount.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...class_hdr.html

Panny 65VT50 // Samsung 75Q80R // Xbox One X // Pioneer Elite SC-67 // Paradigm Millenia L-R-C-S  // Paradigm Seismic 12 // Belkin PF60 // Harmony Ultimate One
post #112 of 1433 Old 03-10-2019, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Quote:
Update on my Q80
Minor DSE is totally fine. That is good to hear.

Can you check game mode as well, especially dimming in game? Is dimming in game mode same as in movie mode or worse? Thanks.
post #113 of 1433 Old 03-11-2019, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Much appreciated sir...

I don't know if you would consider it jet black but the bars stayed consistently black the whole time as far as I could tell.

Very encouraging, thank you again p
post #114 of 1433 Old 03-11-2019, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Amazon is now listing the 55" for pre-order with a release date of March 21st: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N4MRSQK...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Best Buy now has a page for the 65" so hopefully this means they will start putting it on display at their stores soon: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...?skuId=6331763
post #115 of 1433 Old 03-11-2019, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Looks great, especially considering the picture is a bit brighter than real which will elevate the appearance of the blacks.

I copied and adjusted down the brightness one click (might still be too bright but didn't want to go the other way.). I also cropped a small area that's bright against the letterbox and includes the side corner. Can't see where the letterbox ends and the black side frame begins. One cel phone pic can only tell you so much but what can be seen looks great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spi 1.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	2537302   Click image for larger version

Name:	spi 2.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	2537304  
joe221 likes this.

Last edited by js950; 03-11-2019 at 08:36 AM.
post #116 of 1433 Old 03-11-2019, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by js950 View Post
Quote:

Looks great, especially considering the picture is a bit brighter than real which will elevate the appearance of the blacks.
Don't go by the picture too much. My phone makes the screen look much more brighter and washed out than it really is. The colors look much more realistic and better in person.
js950 likes this.
post #117 of 1433 Old 03-11-2019, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Don't go by the picture too much. My phone makes the screen look much more brighter and washed out than it really is. The colors look much more realistic and better in person.
I'm sure but overexposed like that should also make the black bars more susceptible to showing any blooming so it's a good if limited result.

Last edited by js950; 03-11-2019 at 08:23 AM.
post #118 of 1433 Old 03-11-2019, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I copied and adjusted down the brightness one click (might still be too bright but didn't want to go the other way.). I also cropped a small area that's bright on the letterbox and includes the side corner. Can't see where the letterbox ends and the black side frame begins. One cel phone pic can only tell you so much but what can be seen looks great.
Indeed, looks real good.

Last edited by Kenbar; 03-11-2019 at 10:11 AM.
post #119 of 1433 Old 03-11-2019, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

For those of you that have the TV, have you had a chance to play with the calibration settings? If so, would you mind sharing your setting numbers?

Thanks.
post #120 of 1433 Old 03-12-2019, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Quote:

I copied and adjusted down the brightness one click (might still be too bright but didn't want to go the other way.). I also cropped a small area that's bright against the letterbox and includes the side corner. Can't see where the letterbox ends and the black side frame begins. One cel phone pic can only tell you so much but what can be seen looks great.
This looks very promising indeed
You managed to find the Spider-Man scenes which generated lots of blooming for Sony tv in general...
I wonder if this generation has that black bar auto switching mode in the right tv ratio...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page