2019 Samsung Q80R Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 40 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 357Likes

post #1171 of 1242 Old 11-30-2019, 11:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
If I hadn't watched a YouTube video about unpacking I wouldn't have know to remove it. The picture wasn't too bad with it on, but there was glare.
joe221 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1242 Old 12-01-2019, 05:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 27
[QUOTE=joe221;58893916]When I say “neon” I mean the colors glow with a haze around them. Like a neon bulb. Nope, that needs more adjusting of the screen. The colors being bright and smooth is correct, it just looks better. The colors pop but shouldn’t bloom. They are some of the most vivid man made colors I’ve seen in a natural setting with the background being totally natural.
I’ll double check whose settings I’m using for the best result an post them in an edit here.

Now I get it, I have no haze around the colors and there is no blooming. They just pop.

That is one thing I love so far about this tv, I have little to no blooming, especially white type on black background.
Although my settings are quite different, I am in movie mode and warm1.
joe221 likes this.

Denon 3400h, Kef Q100s, PSB C1, Sub Series 125 and Paradigm adp-190s, Atrium4 Front Heights
55 Q80r, Optoma HD 2200, ps3 and HTPC- Living Rm

Yamaha YAS108, 55 lg lk520-Bed Rm
post #1173 of 1242 Old 12-01-2019, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 61
[quote=sam_canavo;58897074]
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe221 View Post
When I say “neon” I mean the colors glow with a haze around them. Like a neon bulb. Nope, that needs more adjusting of the screen. The colors being bright and smooth is correct, it just looks better. The colors pop but shouldn’t bloom. They are some of the most vivid man made colors I’ve seen in a natural setting with the background being totally natural.
I’ll double check whose settings I’m using for the best result an post them in an edit here.

Now I get it, I have no haze around the colors and there is no blooming. They just pop.

That is one thing I love so far about this tv, I have little to no blooming, especially white type on black background.
Although my settings are quite different, I am in movie mode and warm1.
That’s what I mean! They just pop, no blooming or smearing. I’m close but not on the money yet with testing different settings. I’m thinking it’s that panel to panel thing. I just talked to my bro and his wife. They just got a new Sammy RU7300 curved 55”. Put it in a room with windows to both sides of the screen. We were talking about the four modes and they LOVE Dynamic! Every one gets a mode they love! (I wanted to cry)

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA

Last edited by joe221; 12-02-2019 at 07:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1174 of 1242 Old 12-01-2019, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
When I say “neon” I mean the colors glow with a haze around them. Like a neon bulb. Nope, that needs more adjusting of the screen. The colors being bright and smooth is correct, it just looks better. The colors pop but shouldn’t bloom. They are some of the most vivid man made colors I’ve seen in a natural setting with the background being totally natural.

ETA:
The settings I like best right now, are from the OP, Bruce. While still not perfect it’s what I use most of the time. The Navajo war dress looks amazing.

Picture Mode: Stamdard
Backlight: 28
Brightness: - 2
Contrast: 38
Sharpness: 8
Color: 25
Tint: 0
Digital Clean View: Auto
AMP: Off
Local Dimming: High
Contrast Enhancer: Off
Color Tone: Standard
Gamma: BT.1886
Color Space: Auto

Simple and beautiful.

Also I take back on now closer inspection. There is some neon but I tried a setting in my trials where it was Neon on every color and looked awful. This is just a touch and I’m sure can be calibrated to perfection. I still am on the hunt but may have it ISF calibrated in the near future. Here’s a screen shot in my not too dark room. Cloudy and all room lights off with most blinds drawn.
If you’re seeing color over saturation I would recommend a few changes. First try Movie mode as for colors it’s more accurate. Change your brightness to at least positive 2, these TVs crush blacks out of the box and all your doing with this setting is lowering the black levels more and losing shadow detail, contrast affects white levels and should be around 45. Turn sharpness to zero, this is edge enhancement for older content, it adds more defined outlines but washes out detail. Try turning down Local Dimming in SDR to Standard, I find it over brightens SDR and clips whites for me. Try Color Tone Warm2 for more color accuracy, or Warm1 if you find it too red. For SDR Gamma should be 2.2 as it’s more accurate for this model.

HDR is a bit different, the TV controls backlight and contrast per the content, so max both of these at 50. Turn Digital Clean View off for HDR, it cleans up older content, but again is extra processing that will make you lose detail in 4K content. Local Dimming should be High in HDR for peak brightness and Gamma should be ST.2084.

I honestly found the demo you linked very unimpressive, try watching some videos on the HDR Channel on YouTube. They have some very well mastered stuff, with more natural looking colors to get a real idea of what your colors are doing.
joe221 likes this.

Samsung 75Q9FN
Samsung HW-N950
Samsung UBD-M9500

Samsung 55Q80R - Bedroom

Last edited by UnfoldingSquid; 12-01-2019 at 09:04 AM.
post #1175 of 1242 Old 12-01-2019, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Could anyone tell me if I will have any issues using this TV with a 2 channel DAC connected to the TV's optical out? I mostly use streaming apps and occasionally a 4k Blu-Ray player via HDMI to the TV. I am considering upgrading to this TV from a Sony X900E due to its picture quality and ability to handle glare in my living room large windows.

The Sony has a setting that converts DTS, DD or even FLAC to PCM out to the TV's optical out. Can the Samsung do the same? Will there be any sound quality issues (I believe that my Sony's Netflix app outputs a lesser quality stereo audio stream and I cannot select the higher quality DD+ streams like I can with my Chromecast Ultra)?
Thanks for any help before I take the plunge!
post #1176 of 1242 Old 12-01-2019, 11:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4K Tech View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edjesus View Post
hi friends, i need help, do any of you have the original Service Menu ADC / WB values
I see that you posted the identical question over in the Q8FN owner's forum. Which model of television do you own, the Q80R or the Q8FN?
q80r
post #1177 of 1242 Old 12-02-2019, 12:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkAnderson View Post
Q70 vs Q80 for old black and white TV shows and films (original star trek and westerns)

I did go to Rtings ad my assessment was Q70 would be a better bet. but I may of misunderstood the charts
I received my new 65 inch Q80R yesterday. Keep in mind the off-axis angle viewing with the Q70R is not good. With the 80R it is amazing. I have a chair that is around 70 degrees angle off to the side. Almost looking a the 80R screen from the side and it looks just as good to me as looking straight on. Just as fantastic as with the LG B9 OLED I looked at. With the Q70 I looked at the image was mostly gone and washed out that far to the side. Do a search for rtings Q80R video review. They explain the optical coating on the Q80 and Q90 that gives them the wide angle viewing the Q70 doesn't have.

So - along with any other Q70 vs Q80 factors - this one is a "hard stop" on the Q70 (was with me) if you have a need for extreme angle viewing, completely independent of what type of shows you are watching.
post #1178 of 1242 Old 12-02-2019, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac1dl0rd View Post
I received an email from samsung for replacing the full LCD panel but even the repairman says he does not understand why he does not replace the tv , is brand new.
I will contact the seller again.
Probably they do not have any more stock TV because of the black Fridays
I had my Q80R replaced for a new one.
It is not perfect, but a big improvement. There is only a small section at the top left that has a small color change.
post #1179 of 1242 Old 12-02-2019, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfoldingSquid View Post
If you’re seeing color over saturation I would recommend a few changes. First try Movie mode as for colors it’s more accurate. Change your brightness to at least positive 2, these TVs crush blacks out of the box and all your doing with this setting is lowering the black levels more and losing shadow detail, contrast affects white levels and should be around 45. Turn sharpness to zero, this is edge enhancement for older content, it adds more defined outlines but washes out detail. Try turning down Local Dimming in SDR to Standard, I find it over brightens SDR and clips whites for me. Try Color Tone Warm2 for more color accuracy, or Warm1 if you find it too red. For SDR Gamma should be 2.2 as it’s more accurate for this model.

HDR is a bit different, the TV controls backlight and contrast per the content, so max both of these at 50. Turn Digital Clean View off for HDR, it cleans up older content, but again is extra processing that will make you lose detail in 4K content. Local Dimming should be High in HDR for peak brightness and Gamma should be ST.2084.

I honestly found the demo you linked very unimpressive, try watching some videos on the HDR Channel on YouTube. They have some very well mastered stuff, with more natural looking colors to get a real idea of what your colors are doing.
Thanks for the suggestions, I will be playing with them. As for the Navajo demo, I find it great for daytime bright room viewing. Most of the great demos need a dark room to show off. I do subscribe to that and other HDR channels. Awesome stuff.

post #1180 of 1242 Old 12-02-2019, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions, I will be playing with them. As for the Navajo demo, I find it great for daytime bright room viewing. Most of the great demos need a dark room to show off. I do subscribe to that and other HDR channels. Awesome stuff.
The Navajo demo was pretty for sure, but it’s impossible to get a true reference for what the colors are supposed to look like. My point was don’t use it as a test for your calibration.
joe221 likes this.

Samsung 75Q9FN
Samsung HW-N950
Samsung UBD-M9500

Samsung 55Q80R - Bedroom
post #1181 of 1242 Old 12-02-2019, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The Navajo demo was pretty for sure, but it’s impossible to get a true reference for what the colors are supposed to look like. My point was don’t use it as a test for your calibration.
Exactly, I like it because I can get a quick look at saturation, I had a settings try where the colors were all blown out, and it is just gorgeous when stuff is working. There are others for a more technical reference.

post #1182 of 1242 Old 12-02-2019, 08:19 AM

Liked: 12
No firmware available to download from Samsung site for Q80

Hello all;

Thanks for all the great content and suggestions, it's been invaluable to better tweak my 75" Q80. I do have a question regarding firmware downloads. It seems when you go to the Samsung site and go to firmware downloads, nothing is available.

Am I doing something wrong or are they not supplying firmware to download any longer?

Thanks in advance.
post #1183 of 1242 Old 12-02-2019, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpollard View Post
Hello all;

Thanks for all the great content and suggestions, it's been invaluable to better tweak my 75" Q80. I do have a question regarding firmware downloads. It seems when you go to the Samsung site and go to firmware downloads, nothing is available.

Am I doing something wrong or are they not supplying firmware to download any longer?

Thanks in advance.
My 65” is on 1315 and says up to date. What are you on?

post #1184 of 1242 Old 12-02-2019, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Does anyone know why the 75Q80 has disappeared from the walmart site, sold out on amazon and sold out on samsung.com (except for links to Fry's and a few other retailers)? Has there been a recall? It just seems weird that there has been no price change over the Black Friday - Cyber Monday timeframe to create a big run on the 75Q80. I'm trying to replace mine that I returned a couple of weeks ago for dead pixels and trying to take advantage of a cashback site purchase today, but can't get one in stock. Samsung.com did have it's listing live a few hours ago with a January ship date, but the "Buy Now" button is gone once again. The 65" and 82" are in stock. Just wondering if anyone has any insight about the 75?
post #1185 of 1242 Old 12-02-2019, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Service Menu

Can anyone tell me how to get into the Service Menu on the Q80? I just have the small remote with only a few buttons. Thanks.
post #1186 of 1242 Old 12-02-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshaw View Post
Can anyone tell me how to get into the Service Menu on the Q80? I just have the small remote with only a few buttons. Thanks.
" IR REMOTE" App, but do not enter this menu
post #1187 of 1242 Old 12-02-2019, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
1. RTings does not mention anything about calibration for game mode for HDR gaming . However I do read that we can keep everything for HDR at default. Does that mean to keep everything at default when it comes to game mode for HDR games on PS4 Pro?

Second question follows:

2. For color space under game mode it is set at ‘Native’. I actually notice the color is more darker and saturated compare to ‘Auto’ where the ‘Auto’ feels slightly washed out and greyed. Why many calibrators recommend to set at ‘Auto’? And what does RTings thinks about the color space when it comes to game mode? Please advise on both these matters. THANKS!

If anyone has information about calibration settings (Samsung Q80R) by someone who has actually used proper equipment or coming from reliable source. Please kindly share the link here. Much appreciate!
post #1188 of 1242 Old 12-02-2019, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I started playing with the settings in your note. I’m using Standard for now and in both Standard and Movie the warms make whites too yellow for my liking. In standard temp I get white whites. I’m sitting on a setting now that I’d call all around good. When I stop playing I’ll transcribe them here, to you. Thank you for the guidance. I have the disks to use but I’m lazy and like to use AVS for guidance. It just keeps getting better. Thanks again!

Last edited by joe221; 12-03-2019 at 07:33 AM.
post #1189 of 1242 Old 12-02-2019, 05:48 PM

best around $300 receiver compatible with 75 inches 2019 samsung Q80

hello, new here and I have a question... what is the best (around) $300 dollars receiver compatible and to be use with the 2019 Samsung Q80 75 inches TV, i will be watching 4k movies from Xbox One S and online apps like Netflix. I just find out that my old Pioneer Elite VSX-01TXH 7.1 does not support any of the new formats for audio and 4k videos, looks like you will need to replace your receiver about every 5 years anyways and I do not want spend much this time. No cable, just Xbox One S for gaming and 4k movies playback and netflix Streaming. Thank you
post #1190 of 1242 Old 12-02-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
My 65” is on 1315 and says up to date. What are you on?
Thanks for your response joe221, I read every post and think I may have gone loopy doing so, I'm on 1315. For some reason I thought I missed the latest firmware and the Samsung site had no downloadable firmware. I'm one of those folks who does not connect my TV to the internet so I rely on the firmware being downloadable.
joe221 likes this.
post #1191 of 1242 Old 12-02-2019, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpollard View Post
Thanks for your response joe221, I read every post and think I may have gone loopy doing so, I'm on 1315. For some reason I thought I missed the latest firmware and the Samsung site had no downloadable firmware. I'm one of those folks who does not connect my TV to the internet so I rely on the firmware being downloadable.

Ran into this yesterday. You can find the firmware under the Q90 page. Same file.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
joe221 likes this.
post #1192 of 1242 Old 12-02-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravgis View Post
Ran into this yesterday. You can find the firmware under the Q90 page. Same file.

Thank you. I see when you click the ? mark it has a list of the diff TV's and Q80RA is listed. Now that shows 1335, so I will go ahead and download and update. Thanks again.
joe221 likes this.
post #1193 of 1242 Old 12-02-2019, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I started playing with the settings in your note. I’m using Standard for now and in both Standard and Movie the warms make whites too yellow for my liking. In standard temp I get white whites. I’m sitting on a setting now that I’d call all around good. When stop playing I’ll transcribe them here, to you. Thank you for the guidance. I have the disks to use but I’m lazy and like to use AVS for guidance. It just keeps getting better. Thanks again!
You got it, glad I could help. The whites will be better with Warm Color Space after (if?) you get it calibrated. My Q9’s whites look great, I should be getting my Q80 calibrated soon.

But it could be something you’re just used to, I remember back in the day changing my first TV to Movie Mode after hearing all the talk about accuracy. I remember finding it weird at first, and changing back to a more Cool tone a few times. We are typically trained to watch TV out of the box with too much blue in it, so the red tones look off at first.
joe221 likes this.

Samsung 75Q9FN
Samsung HW-N950
Samsung UBD-M9500

Samsung 55Q80R - Bedroom

Last edited by UnfoldingSquid; 12-02-2019 at 08:39 PM.
post #1194 of 1242 Old 12-02-2019, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
You got it, glad I could help. The whites will be better with Warm Color Space after (if?) you get it calibrated. My Q9’s whites look great, I should be getting my Q80 calibrated soon.

But it could be something you’re just used to, I remember back in the day changing my first TV to Movie Mode after hearing all the talk about accuracy. I remember finding it weird at first, and changing back to a more Cool tone a few times. We are typically trained to watch TV out of the box with too much blue in it, so the red tones look off at first.
@UnfoldingSquid : Can you share your calibration settings once you get your Q80R calibrated? Especially for Game Mode for HDR gaming like PS4 Pro? That would be much appreciated. However, for meanwhile are there most reliable and trusted calibration settings out there for Q80R? Can you provide link to it? THANKS!
post #1195 of 1242 Old 12-03-2019, 05:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawaz Amjad View Post
@UnfoldingSquid : Can you share your calibration settings once you get your Q80R calibrated? Especially for Game Mode for HDR gaming like PS4 Pro? That would be much appreciated. However, for meanwhile are there most reliable and trusted calibration settings out there for Q80R? Can you provide link to it? THANKS!
Yes I can share my settings once it's done, no problem. I don't game in the bedroom, but I might be persuaded to move a console into the bedroom on calibration day. In the meantime just go with what rtings.com have or some of the settings I posted a page back.

Samsung 75Q9FN
Samsung HW-N950
Samsung UBD-M9500

Samsung 55Q80R - Bedroom
post #1196 of 1242 Old 12-03-2019, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravgis View Post

Thank you! I foolishly looked on my TV’s Q80R site for a download. So 35 is for the beta testers (read those that like to download). When they don’t report bricked TVs, then Samsung will push the update. I see what you’re doing there, Samsung! LOL

post #1197 of 1242 Old 12-03-2019, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Mercedes View Post
hello, new here and I have a question... what is the best (around) $300 dollars receiver compatible and to be use with the 2019 Samsung Q80 75 inches TV, i will be watching 4k movies from Xbox One S and online apps like Netflix. I just find out that my old Pioneer Elite VSX-01TXH 7.1 does not support any of the new formats for audio and 4k videos, looks like you will need to replace your receiver about every 5 years anyways and I do not want spend much this time. No cable, just Xbox One S for gaming and 4k movies playback and netflix Streaming. Thank you
I have a Denon X4400H which is out of your range but, I think I can recommend a Denon after having to junk (sell) two Onkyo’s that didn’t keep up with technology. They have models in your price range and I think will serve you needs at a budget level. At $300 you will need to spec out what you want to do and can that model do it. I know it will be a good value as mine punches well above it’s price point. Current model will be the 4500 on mine. Amazon is a good source to browse.

post #1198 of 1242 Old 12-03-2019, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I know! I’ve been on AVS a long time and numerous TVs and always use the info here to tweak my set. I’ve had to calibrations over the years. Best Buy rewarded me for buying too much stuff from them and one of three free items I could choose. I took the ISF calibration. The guy who came from Geek Squad was the guy who sold me my first HDTV the Sony 60” Sony RP with the Dumbo ears. He got his ISF cert and moved to service. He did his magic on the warranty replacement for the Sony a 65” Mitsubishi Diamond DLP. It looked awesome when he was done. Later an AVS guy, ZMad, in the Samsung TV forum for my first flat screen came over, he lived in the general area, and using his tools calibrated it. He had last years model and wanted to see how that years model differed. Also made it look amazing.
So if I can swing the cost and the TV settles in as good as it seems to be doing now, I may go for a pro.

post #1199 of 1242 Old 12-03-2019, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Mercedes View Post
... what is the best (around) $300 dollars receiver...
I was shopping for a new receiver myself after recently purchasing a Q80R. I've used Yamaha for quite a while now so I ended up going with the RX-V685 (7.2 ch) which was $499. But Amazon has last year's model, the RX-V683, available right now for $329 and the differences between the two are few. The main reason I bought the newer model was for the upgraded 32-bit DAC.

Here is a link if you want to check it out:

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V68.../dp/B06XY1YTMJ
post #1200 of 1242 Old 12-03-2019, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruc3L3r0y View Post
A bit off topic...but has anyone purchased or is thinking of purchasing an extended warranty from Squaretrade thru Costco? Is it worth it? Any hassles with filing a claim? Thanks.
I know this is WAY after you posted it. (have a Q80R arriving today and am trying to read this thread from the beginning).

I bought a Samsung JS850D, Costco's version of the 8500 with a Square Trade warranty in Nov 2015. Started noticing light bleed issues, which I assumed were normal, then a white "cloud" on the screen and called ST. They asked me to send photos and immediately denied my claim. They were a royal pain in the arse and tried to blow me off 4 or 5 times refusing to let me speak to someone. I persisted, got them to send out a tech who immediately said their diagnosis of physical damage was crap, called and gave them the info. They approved a replacement the next day and offered me a Q60R. I declined. Then they offered a Q7FN and I again declined, asking for the Q90 (which I knew I wouldn't get). They finally agreed on a "one-time exception" of a Q80R, which will be here this afternoon.

Overall, dealing with the was a pain and really ticked me off. I eventually got what I wanted but still asked to speak to a supervisor. Got a call, they apologized and refunded me the $89.99 I paid at Costco for the warranty (still waiting on that check though). Others have not experienced such issues, but they will try to low ball you with a replacement TV offer, which I believe is their norm rather than replacing panels. If you don't mind fighting a bit and negotiating, then $99 is a good deal. I can't complain that I am getting a brand new Q80R almost 4 years to the date I received the JS850D.
joe221 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page