2019 Samsung Q80R Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 47 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 503Likes

post #1381 of 1858 Old 01-10-2020, 06:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfoldingSquid View Post
That doesn't look normal to me, are you sure you removed the protective sheet? This thread talked about it not too long ago, and some sizes have a little tab to show that it's there and some sizes don't. If you shine a small flashlight directly at the screen you should get a rainbow effect on the outer edges of the light on screen, if no rainbow then you still need to remove the protective layer.

What the other threads may not be talking about: The anti-glare on the Q80 and Q90 are at least 10x better than the Q70 and the Q60. The anti-glare on OLED is non existent, coupled with the peak brightness of 700 nits and you aren't looking at a great experience in that room with OLED.
I removed the two protective pads on the sides of the screen. Then removed a protective film from the entire screen which was difficult to notice at first. There was a small yellow bar code sticker that I removed and it left some adhesive material behind. I was frustrated that Samsung would put a sticker on the screen; that's when I noticed the full protective film covering the screen.

Yes, I do get the light reflection with multiple rainbow images in reduced brightness as it extends from the original reflection. These can be a bit annoying, but not terribly so.
As I continue to watch, it is bothering me less and less, until that dark scene which allows you to see this reflection.

I will say, the reflections from the window directly behind the main viewing position is greatly subdued and impressive.

Still on the fence; will give it a few more days.
joe221 likes this.

Audio (7.1.4): Anthem MRX-1120, B&W CM8 S2 L/R, CMC2 S2 center, B&W In-Wall surrounds and In-Ceiling Atmos, JL Audio e110
Video: Oppo 203D, JVC DLA-X750R, Silver Ticket Screen, 110-inch 16:9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1382 of 1858 Old 01-10-2020, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
My 75" doesn't do that. I have lights everywhere..... Wouldn't be the first time the plastic was still on there!

My 55" doesn't do that either and mine is right next to a window. Mine had the plastic cover on it for a couple of weeks until I discovered it with the help of owners here lol.
joe221 likes this.
post #1383 of 1858 Old 01-10-2020, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Thompson View Post
My 55" doesn't do that either and mine is right next to a window. Mine had the plastic cover on it for a couple of weeks until I discovered it with the help of owners here lol.
I'm not sure why one TV would have it while another doesn't in the same series?
I don't feel my set up is unique, could be just the brightness of the recessed lighting in the kitchen causing it... not sure?

Here a picture just to show the layout. Lamps on the end tables don't cause much of an issue, however the sconces (you can only see one here) can be seen causing the rainbow images.
It's the recessed lights within the kitchen that cause the problem big time. Interestingly, there are lights that hang down above the island that cause no issues whatsoever.

I really just think it's the brightness of these.

Murphy's Law is a real thing!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	39064994_2020-01-10_14-28-52.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	291.8 KB
ID:	2667572  

Audio (7.1.4): Anthem MRX-1120, B&W CM8 S2 L/R, CMC2 S2 center, B&W In-Wall surrounds and In-Ceiling Atmos, JL Audio e110
Video: Oppo 203D, JVC DLA-X750R, Silver Ticket Screen, 110-inch 16:9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1384 of 1858 Old 01-10-2020, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfs673 View Post
I'm not sure why one TV would have it while another doesn't in the same series?
I don't feel my set up is unique, could be just the brightness of the recessed lighting in the kitchen causing it... not sure?

Here a picture just to show the layout. Lamps on the end tables don't cause much of an issue, however the sconces (you can only see one here) can be seen causing the rainbow images.
It's the recessed lights within the kitchen that cause the problem big time. Interestingly, there are lights that hang down above the island that cause no issues whatsoever.

I really just think it's the brightness of these.

Murphy's Law is a real thing!

can not see with that picture ....but you are there : it's certain that you see it.

Samsung HDTV 2015 ( Samsung Q80 on his way) Sony 2015 STR-DN 1060 A/V ( wait)to have my Q80 to install Sony1080 receiver+2 X150 WATTS RMS JBL , 2 REAR SURROUND 100 Watts RMS Mordaunt Short + Orage75Watts RMS SUB
post #1385 of 1858 Old 01-10-2020, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfs673 View Post
I've searched and found a few threads about the Q80/90 off-axis glare. Here's my experience and I'm considering returning; a shame as I'm enjoying the PQ of the Q80r.

Decided to get a new TV for my living room to replace my Samsung 65" UN65JU7100 (2015 model). Mainly watch TV, Netflix/Amazon series, etc. I have a dedicated theater room for movies.
After extensive research and reaching the point of analysis paralysis, and finally decided on the 75" Samsung Q80r.

My considerations:
Wanted >= 75"
Wanted OLED or QLED
Minimal reflections. My couch sits 13.5' directly in front of the TV, with 3 large windows directly behind the couch.
Sound quality is irrelevant

I was sold on either the Samsung Q90/Q80, the Sony A9G, or LG C9/B9.

I prefer the picture from the Sony OLED, however the OLEDS (LG and Sony) appear very "glossy" and was concerned about the window behind the couch. We have shades, however they are white and let a lot of natural light through.

Ordered and Received 75" Q80r

I've read reflections on the Samsung were handled well, and I agree; to a point
HOWEVER.... OMG, any lighting in an adjacent room has a tendency to create terrible streaks (See attached image).

These streaks are from lights at approximately 60 to 75 degrees off axis and should in no way be visible. I believe Samsung's new "wide angle viewing" technology causes light refraction not just from lights behind the viewer, but from anywhere adjacent. The lights are recessed, so the bulbs aren't directly visible from the TVs perspective.

These streaks are not visible on moderate or bright scenes, but are very visible on moderate to dim scenes.
Completely unacceptable; we don't often watch our TV in a dark room.
Other than that, the picture quality was perfectly acceptable and pleasing to watch.

Before I get into analysis paralysis again, I thought I'd reach out for your thoughts/opinions.

My first instinct is to bite the bullet, grab the 77" Sony A9G and get blackout curtains for the window behind the couch; however the additional investment is likley prohibitive.
Second thought is to look at the Samsung Q70r, however understanding I will be losing some peak brightness as well as a reduction in local dimming zones. The Q70 does not have the off-angle viewing improvement, which is not a hug selling feature, but "nice to have".

What am I missing !!! [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/confused.gif[/IMG]
Any real world thoughts on the PQ difference between the Q80/70?
My 75 has similar streaks long white streaks that are caused by the lights in a chandelier that is to the side about 45 degrees to the TV screen. I will try to post a picture when I get home.

My tv had the protective film, which I removed when setting it up, so that is not a factor. I can't prove it is caused by the anti-reflective layer, but that is probably it.

"TV... is there anything it doesn't know?" - Homer Simpson
post #1386 of 1858 Old 01-10-2020, 06:36 PM

...My real world comparison of 75Q80 to a 75Q70, done in my friends home, is that the AR treatment on the Q80 diffuses direct reflections to a much greater degree than the Q70. The acceptable viewing angle is also considerably wider on the Q80.

He and I agreed the direct-view contrast of the Q70 is slightly higher in a darker room with a clean input signal, but to a lesser degree than the advantages offered by the increased AR and wider viewing angles on the Q80, especially in a room with medium-to-high ambient light where a wider viewing angle is appreciated
joe221 likes this.

Last edited by l...h; 01-10-2020 at 07:02 PM. Reason: clarify which tv had higher direct-view contrast in the 2nd paragraph the 2nd paragraph
post #1387 of 1858 Old 01-10-2020, 06:50 PM

...my friend has recently replaced that 75Q70 with a great discount on a 75Q90, no doubt as a way to "up the ante" in our television comparisons haha!!!

We haven't had a chance to put them side-to-side yet, but I looked at a few familiar shots from a spears and muncil disc on the Q90 and the effects of its increased dimming zones are a little better for sure

post #1388 of 1858 Old 01-10-2020, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I purchased this TV from best buy to replace my NU8000.

I noticed there is a dark spot on the left side of the screen that is very noticeable during bright panning scenes.

I've replaced this TV twice through best buy and this spot has been in every TV. Is this just a bad batch, or am I being too picky?

I'm not going to circle it. Just tell me if you see it or not...

post #1389 of 1858 Old 01-10-2020, 07:16 PM

This is a picture from approximately 45 degrees off center on the right side, with the chandelier approximately 45 degrees off center on the left side.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2020-01-10 21_1578712408907.09.54.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	2.06 MB
ID:	2667808  

post #1390 of 1858 Old 01-10-2020, 07:21 PM

This is directly on center with the chandelier approximately 45 degrees to the left of the tv. The tv is off. And none of the reflections below the lowest white line are visible to the naked eye, but the camera picked them up
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2020-01-10 21_1578712736527.17.21.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	2667810  

Last edited by l...h; 01-10-2020 at 07:25 PM. Reason: clarify position of the chandelier
post #1391 of 1858 Old 01-10-2020, 07:41 PM

CBDickens... I see the area you are referring to on your screen. For comparison, this is an all white screen on my 75Q80 fed from a Disney WOW blueray disc. My tv has not been calibrated
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2020-01-10 21_1578714060910.38.58.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	931.9 KB
ID:	2667814  

post #1392 of 1858 Old 01-10-2020, 08:48 PM

Liked: 0
I just purchased a Samsung Q82 and I love the set so far, great colors etc and I haven't even changed any of the settings yet. One odd thing I have noticed worries me. On Law and Order in the opening sequence where each actor is briefly shown and as soon as their face appears for a second a sort of screen appears over the picture but then immediately disappears and their face appears normal. I have only noticed this behavior on the opening sequence Law and Order as the rest of the show is fine and I haven't noticed this on any other show. I don't know if the set is defective or once I calibrate it that it will go away, or maybe it's something so minor I shouldn't worry about it. See attached picture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lw.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	691.8 KB
ID:	2667826  
post #1393 of 1858 Old 01-11-2020, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdickens View Post
I purchased this TV from best buy to replace my NU8000.

I noticed there is a dark spot on the left side of the screen that is very noticeable during bright panning scenes.

I've replaced this TV twice through best buy and this spot has been in every TV. Is this just a bad batch, or am I being too picky?

I'm not going to circle it. Just tell me if you see it or not...

If I stare for examining purposes on mine 65q80r I can see some imperfections on my screen. It was such a stretch to see it and so minor I kept it and really don’t see it much at all. Only in testing and looking for it. On yours I see something midway up about 5” in. If that’s it I see it. If not I see a different flaw. I’ve seen in these and other forums unacceptable screens that should never have passed QA. Yours is not that bad and as you said, it could be a production issue that you caught via three attempts. Sigh.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
post #1394 of 1858 Old 01-11-2020, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic69 View Post
I just purchased a Samsung Q82 and I love the set so far, great colors etc and I haven't even changed any of the settings yet. One odd thing I have noticed worries me. On Law and Order in the opening sequence where each actor is briefly shown and as soon as their face appears for a second a sort of screen appears over the picture but then immediately disappears and their face appears normal. I have only noticed this behavior on the opening sequence Law and Order as the rest of the show is fine and I haven't noticed this on any other show. I don't know if the set is defective or once I calibrate it that it will go away, or maybe it's something so minor I shouldn't worry about it. See attached picture.
Use testing disks or online media for scrutinizing. The source material or cable channel could be doing crap compression on old material. ie. Is it only on Law and Order, only this show, only this channel? Not a valid testing source. A live sports event, a news channel in studio scene would also be generally good testing sources. At least for HD. Do you have a 4K channel, like on DirecTV to test with?

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
post #1395 of 1858 Old 01-11-2020, 12:09 PM

I ended up exchanging the TV again... for a Q90R. Very happy with how this screen looks. No dark spot anymore.
joe221 likes this.
post #1396 of 1858 Old 01-11-2020, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
I'm pretty sure that's a deliberate graphic effect in the source material. You can see the same kind of effect in this youtube video of the opening credits, at the picture of Christopher Meloni at 46 seconds:

Edit: how do I insert a simple text link to a youtube video, without the board trying to actually embed the video?

Last edited by Number_6; 01-11-2020 at 01:04 PM.
post #1397 of 1858 Old 01-11-2020, 08:17 PM

Liked: 2
Is it just my TV or is the Q80 terrible at handling motion. I have tried every setting and there is still judder and motion blur on everything. I understand the live sports (football) issue with it being 1080 and having it upscaked to a 4K tv but even when I watch 4K programming from Netflix or amazon it still isn’t clear. Not what I would expect from a high end tv. I am thinking about returning it to bestbuy but not sure if I should exchange it for another one or go with a different tv all together.
post #1398 of 1858 Old 01-11-2020, 10:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1494 Post(s)
Liked: 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgoldberg01 View Post
Is it just my TV or is the Q80 terrible at handling motion. I have tried every setting and there is still judder and motion blur on everything. I understand the live sports (football) issue with it being 1080 and having it upscaked to a 4K tv but even when I watch 4K programming from Netflix or amazon it still isn’t clear. Not what I would expect from a high end tv. I am thinking about returning it to bestbuy but not sure if I should exchange it for another one or go with a different tv all together.
I watch sports all the time on mine and its great. Could be your cable box?

Blasting brown notes for 20 years and counting!
post #1399 of 1858 Old 01-11-2020, 11:11 PM

Exclamation

Quote:

He if watch Netflix...must be with the TV APP (streaming i suppose) or he have a separate streaming device. OR is setting......BTW can he reset the Q80.

Samsung HDTV 2015 ( Samsung Q80 on his way) Sony 2015 STR-DN 1060 A/V ( wait)to have my Q80 to install Sony1080 receiver+2 X150 WATTS RMS JBL , 2 REAR SURROUND 100 Watts RMS Mordaunt Short + Orage75Watts RMS SUB
post #1400 of 1858 Old 01-12-2020, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franky932 View Post
Quote:

He if watch Netflix...must be with the TV APP (streaming i suppose) or he have a separate streaming device. OR is setting......BTW can he reset the Q80.[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/cool.gif[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/redface.gif[/IMG]
I am watching thru the onboard apps. I called Samsung today and they remote accessed the tv. They verified some motion settings by couldn’t do anything else. Suggested I try a dvd but my issue is this tv will only be used for streaming content. I don’t plan to watch much dvds on this tv. So if the streaming content isn’t good then I need to do something else. Have reset the picture settings and also factory reset the tv. There were no changes.

I did hook a cable box up the tv and the non 4K content was better but not great. My 10year old tv is still better. I tried Netflix thru the cable box but then I realized the cable box is only 1080 so not a good 4K comparison.
post #1401 of 1858 Old 01-12-2020, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1494 Post(s)
Liked: 1760
I just checked my internal apps. There is no judder at all. Could it be your internet? I generally only use this TV for video games and it's been great other than the VA ghosting (but that's on every VA panel)
post #1402 of 1858 Old 01-12-2020, 12:08 PM

Quote:
I just checked my internal apps. There is no judder at all. Could it be your internet? I generally only use this TV for video games and it's been great other than the VA ghosting (but that's on every VA panel)
Don’t think it’s my internet. I regularly have speeds in the 400 to 50mbps range.

If someone want to compare. When I watch the Our Planet Behind the scenes on Netflix there are some scenes from 1:20 to 1:50 the first is the annoying auto dim where after the text 6000 drone flights the screen goes dark when the picture first comes back on. From there the camera pans past the back of a boat. The name of the boat is so blurry you can not make it out. On my other TV that is 10 years old the picture is clear and the name of the boat is clear. And about 1:45 they are filming the front of the boat with a camera mounted on the bow. That segment is jittery and not smooth

I have all the ambient light features turned off. Not sure why the auto dim is happening. It doesn’t do it at night.
post #1403 of 1858 Old 01-12-2020, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Set your auto motion to off. I finally did that and it solved my blur and judder issues.
post #1404 of 1858 Old 01-12-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboi View Post
Quote:
Is it just my TV or is the Q80 terrible at handling motion. I have tried every setting and there is still judder and motion blur on everything. I understand the live sports (football) issue with it being 1080 and having it upscaked to a 4K tv but even when I watch 4K programming from Netflix or amazon it still isn’️t clear. Not what I would expect from a high end tv. I am thinking about returning it to bestbuy but not sure if I should exchange it for another one or go with a different tv all together.
Set your auto motion to off. I finally did that and it solved my blur and judder issues.
All Motion is set to off. I also tried custom Jetter and blur reduction set at zero. I’m some stuff auto motion set to auto makes image look better but only for a brief time
post #1405 of 1858 Old 01-12-2020, 01:35 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
All Motion is set to off. I also tried custom Jetter and blur reduction set at zero. I’m some stuff auto motion set to auto makes image look better but only for a brief time

Finally Samsung did have a conclusion on this? warranty is 12 months.......some times they send a tech before replace it.....looks like a internal chip problem....

hope for you that Samsung gone do something. when did you purchase it? first 30 days the dealer can pick up

after a tech can not resolve your problem , depends of the dealer.....GOOD LUCK my friend

===

post #1406 of 1858 Old 01-12-2020, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Apple app is crushing black detail in some movies.... I compared it to the Apple 4k and it’️s crushing movies like Pacific Rim, Last Witch Hunter and The Nun to name a few.... now it isn’️t consistent bc some movies it’️s not crushing but for some reason it is doing it...... disappointing. It also appears to be just Apple bc Vudu isn't doing it.....but I was hoping to be not need the Apple 4k for this and to move it to the bedroom but Apple has probably the highest bitrate on their movies.
post #1407 of 1858 Old 01-12-2020, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
@UnfoldingSquid: Calibration update

@UnfoldingSquid : Just wanted to check back if you managed to get calibration done for Samsung Q80R (American Panel). I did some calibration of my own but its always better, personally for me, to read other Samsung Q80R owners calibration settings. Much appreciate if you could update on this forum your calibration settings for HDR and SDR gaming as well. Thank you
post #1408 of 1858 Old 01-13-2020, 05:31 AM

Liked: 0
<< If someone want to compare. When I watch the Our Planet Behind the scenes on Netflix there are some scenes from 1:20 to 1:50 the first is the annoying auto dim where after the text 6000 drone flights the screen goes dark when the picture first comes back on. From there the camera pans past the back of a boat. The name of the boat is so blurry you can not make it out. On my other TV that is 10 years old the picture is clear and the name of the boat is clear. And about 1:45 they are filming the front of the boat with a camera mounted on the bow. That segment is jittery and not smooth >>

On my 82 inch I checked that exact time period on "Our Planets Behind the Scenes" and it all seemed good. I could clearly see the name of the boat and no auto dim after the text 6000 and I have my settings pretty much at default.
post #1409 of 1858 Old 01-13-2020, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by djpault View Post
I have a Q70R and can confirm that apps such as Netflix show the Dolby Atmos notification and Amazon Prime. I also have the TV connected via HDMI 4 ARC to a Denon AVRX3400H reciever and it is displaying Dolby Atmos.
Interesting. As I have the Q80R with latest firmware, connected to Monitor 1 (eARC) on my Denon x2600h<---->Q80R HDMI 4 (ARC). When using the Q80R's native apps, Atmos is only displayed on the AVR when streaming Vudu atmos content. I've tried many atmos titles on Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, etc.......no Atmos being displayed on the AVR. I've read about Disney+ app issues on this TV but not the other services.

You are using the Q70R native streaming apps, correct?
post #1410 of 1858 Old 01-13-2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:
<< If someone want to compare. When I watch the Our Planet Behind the scenes on Netflix there are some scenes from 1:20 to 1:50 the first is the annoying auto dim where after the text 6000 drone flights the screen goes dark when the picture first comes back on. From there the camera pans past the back of a boat. The name of the boat is so blurry you can not make it out. On my other TV that is 10 years old the picture is clear and the name of the boat is clear. And about 1:45 they are filming the front of the boat with a camera mounted on the bow. That segment is jittery and not smooth >>

On my 82 inch I checked that exact time period on "Our Planets Behind the Scenes" and it all seemed good. I could clearly see the name of the boat and no auto dim after the text 6000 and I have my settings pretty much at default.
Thanks for checking it out. What is your motion settings?

I initiated an exchange today with Bestbuy. Was pleased to find out they offer an in home exchange with no charge. I just hope the new tv is better.
joe221 and Phantom Skim like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page