2019 Samsung Q80R Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 48 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 452Likes

post #1411 of 1571 Old 01-14-2020, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Screws for installing Q80R wall mount brackets

Hi, I recently bought the 55 inch Q80R along with the Cheetah APTMSB TV Wall Mount for 20-55” TVs up to VESA 400 and 115lbs. The Manual for the Q80R says it has a 200X200 Vesa pattern and uses M8 screws for attaching the wall mount bracket to the TV. However, the M8 screws don't seem to fit the screw holes in the TV. It's not a length issue - I can push the screws in all the way no problem (with or without the spacers), but there doesn't seem to be screw threads in the holes, so the screws don't stay in. My old Samsung looks like it had adapters or something in the holes that seem to be missing from this one. Am I missing something? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1412 of 1571 Old 01-15-2020, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanfin View Post
Hi, I recently bought the 55 inch Q80R along with the Cheetah APTMSB TV Wall Mount for 20-55” TVs up to VESA 400 and 115lbs. The Manual for the Q80R says it has a 200X200 Vesa pattern and uses M8 screws for attaching the wall mount bracket to the TV. However, the M8 screws don't seem to fit the screw holes in the TV. It's not a length issue - I can push the screws in all the way no problem (with or without the spacers), but there doesn't seem to be screw threads in the holes, so the screws don't stay in. My old Samsung looks like it had adapters or something in the holes that seem to be missing from this one. Am I missing something? Thanks.
You may need a longer screw. I don't recall the length I needed on mine, but I recall them being fairly long.

Audio (7.1.4): Anthem MRX-1120, B&W CM8 S2 L/R, CMC2 S2 center, B&W In-Wall surrounds and In-Ceiling Atmos, JL Audio e110
Video: Oppo 203D, JVC DLA-X750R, Silver Ticket Screen, 110-inch 16:9
post #1413 of 1571 Old 01-15-2020, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanfin View Post
The manual also clearly states the M8 screws should be 41mm to 43mm long, the threads on the TV are only at the very end of the holes.

Samsung 75Q9FN
Samsung HW-N950
Samsung UBD-M9500

Samsung 55Q80R - Bedroom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1414 of 1571 Old 01-15-2020, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawaz Amjad View Post
@UnfoldingSquid : Just wanted to check back if you managed to get calibration done for Samsung Q80R (American Panel). I did some calibration of my own but its always better, personally for me, to read other Samsung Q80R owners calibration settings. Much appreciate if you could update on this forum your calibration settings for HDR and SDR gaming as well. Thank you
My TV was finally calibrated and I'm quite happy with the results. I specifically told him I wanted SDR calibrated to 250 nits, so my TV is a little on the bright side but that's what I'm used to.
SDR:
Backlight - 27
Brightness - 0
Contrast - 45
Sharpness - 1 (this should be zero on your tv, this is a per TV setting as my Q9 sharpness is actually set to 2)
Color - 25
Tint - 0
Digital Clean View - Auto
Auo Motion Plus - Off
Local Dimming - Low
Contrast Enhancer - Off
Color Tone - Warm 2
Gamma - BT.1886 - 0
Color Space - Auto

HDR
Backlight - 50
Brightness - 0
Contrast - 46
Sharpness - 1
Color - 25
Tint - 0
Digital Clean View - Off
Auto Motion Plus - Off
Local Dimming - High
Contrast Enhancer - Off
Color Tone - Warm2
Gamma - ST.2084 - 0
Color Space - Auto

I specifically asked about Local Dimming being set to Low on SDR, the calibrator said for SDR it should be Low so it doesn't crush blacks in the lower nit content. The calibrator actually set Digital Clean View to Off on SDR but I turned it on afterwards, I find it helps clean up broadcast's digital noise.

I will probably end up playing with brightness later, but for now I'm pleased with where it is.

Samsung 75Q9FN
Samsung HW-N950
Samsung UBD-M9500

Samsung 55Q80R - Bedroom
post #1415 of 1571 Old 01-15-2020, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
@UnfoldingSquid: Calibration

@UnfoldingSquid : Thanks for sharing your settings but I find Warm2 much yellowish unless if your calibrator did some tweak with other settings that eliminated the yellowish color on your screen. Why did the calibrator go for Warm 2 instead of Standard color space?
joe221 and DixieGent like this.
post #1416 of 1571 Old 01-15-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfoldingSquid View Post
The manual also clearly states the M8 screws should be 41mm to 43mm long, the threads on the TV are only at the very end of the holes.
Thanks. Yes I know the screws are supposed to be 41-43mm, but I just assumed the Cheetah mount would include that size since my last mount had the correct size for my Samsung TV (but my last Samsung had the threads at the tip of the hole rather than at the end). Foolishly I didn't measure the screw sizes, but I'm going to assume that's the issue. I had already tried getting the right length M8 screw from a few hardware stores but no one seems to have 41-43. Fortunately I just found 43mm M8s on Amazon so I guess I'll use them and not use the spacers.

Thanks for your reply.
post #1417 of 1571 Old 01-15-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfs673 View Post
You may need a longer screw. I don't recall the length I needed on mine, but I recall them being fairly long.
Thanks, yes it appears I need longer screws. I just assumed the mount would come with the correct size since it has like 8 different sizes, but apparently not. I just ordered the 43mm ones from Amazon, they should arrive tomorrow so hopefully that resolves the issue.
Thanks for your reply.
post #1418 of 1571 Old 01-15-2020, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
My TV was finally calibrated and I'm quite happy with the results. I specifically told him I wanted SDR calibrated to 250 nits, so my TV is a little on the bright side but that's what I'm used to.
SDR:
Backlight - 27
Brightness - 0
Contrast - 45
Sharpness - 1 (this should be zero on your tv, this is a per TV setting as my Q9 sharpness is actually set to 2)
Color - 25
Tint - 0
Auo Motion Plus - Off
Local Dimming - Low
Contrast Enhancer - Off
Color Tone - Warm 2
Gamma - BT.1886 - 0
Color Space - Auto

HDR
Backlight - 50
Brightness - 0
Contrast - 46
Sharpness - 1
Color - 25
Tint - 0
Digital Clean View - Off
Auto Motion Plus - Off
Local Dimming - High
Contrast Enhancer - Off
Color Tone - Warm2
Gamma - ST.2084 - 0
Color Space - Auto

I specifically asked about Local Dimming being set to Low on SDR, the calibrator said for SDR it should be Low so it doesn't crush blacks in the lower nit content. The calibrator actually set Digital Clean View to Off on SDR but I turned it on afterwards, I find it helps clean up broadcast's digital noise.

I will probably end up playing with brightness later, but for now I'm pleased with where it is.
What mode are you using? Standard, Movie??
post #1419 of 1571 Old 01-15-2020, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
SDR:
Backlight - 27
Brightness - 0
Contrast - 45
Color - 25
Tint - 0
Auo Motion Plus - Off
Local Dimming - Low
Contrast Enhancer - Off
Color Tone - Warm 2
Gamma - BT.1886 - 0
Color Space - Auto

HDR
Backlight - 50
Brightness - 0
Contrast - 46
Sharpness - 1
Color - 25
Tint - 0
Digital Clean View - Off
Auto Motion Plus - Off
Local Dimming - High
Contrast Enhancer - Off
Color Tone - Warm2
Gamma - ST.2084 - 0
Color Space - Auto

I'm surprised they left color space on auto. Did they not calibrate the white Balance settings?
DixieGent likes this.
post #1420 of 1571 Old 01-15-2020, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
SDR:
Backlight - 27

I’m just wondering why most people want to manually set the backlight versus setting it to 50 and turning on Eco Solution > Ambient Light Detection > Minimum Backlight = 15?

The light in my viewing room changes greatly through the day and night, so I use the Ambient Light Detection to adjust the Backlight automatically. Seems to work great for me.
post #1421 of 1571 Old 01-15-2020, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My eyes are glazed over reading most of this thread and google searching, and apologize if I missed this, but is there a way to confirm the picture resolution the TV is actually outputting?
post #1422 of 1571 Old 01-15-2020, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
@UnfoldingSquid : Thanks for sharing your settings but I find Warm2 much yellowish unless if your calibrator did some tweak with other settings that eliminated the yellowish color on your screen. Why did the calibrator go for Warm 2 instead of Standard color space?
Warm2 has been considered the most accurate, closest to film maker’s intent for a long time. Yes, calibrating the color and white point will get rid of the red hue in the whites.

Samsung 75Q9FN
Samsung HW-N950
Samsung UBD-M9500

Samsung 55Q80R - Bedroom
post #1423 of 1571 Old 01-15-2020, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Hollywood View Post
What mode are you using? Standard, Movie??
Movie, it’s the most accurate mode (if you care about accuracy).
Shawn Hollywood likes this.

Samsung 75Q9FN
Samsung HW-N950
Samsung UBD-M9500

Samsung 55Q80R - Bedroom
post #1424 of 1571 Old 01-15-2020, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruc3L3r0y View Post
I'm surprised they left color space on auto. Did they not calibrate the white Balance settings?
When it’s being calibrated he’s making those changes in Custom, but if you leave it on Custom it won’t auto switch from SDR color mode and HDR, you have to change it manually in Custom. Auto retains the changes to the color settings but will switch the color space based on the content for you.

Samsung 75Q9FN
Samsung HW-N950
Samsung UBD-M9500

Samsung 55Q80R - Bedroom
post #1425 of 1571 Old 01-16-2020, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
@UnfoldingSquid: Calibration

UnfoldingSquid: Thanks for the update. I just want to confirm that the settings you shared for both HDR and SDR can also be applied to gaming console such as PS4 Pro?
post #1426 of 1571 Old 01-16-2020, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
UnfoldingSquid: Thanks for the update. I just want to confirm that the settings you shared for both HDR and SDR can also be applied to gaming console such as PS4 Pro?
Should be fine for console too, I use the same SDR and HDR settings for my consoles that were calibrated on my Q9 and everything looks great.

Samsung 75Q9FN
Samsung HW-N950
Samsung UBD-M9500

Samsung 55Q80R - Bedroom
post #1427 of 1571 Old 01-16-2020, 03:59 PM

UnfoldingSquid re calibration

To UnfoldingSquid, thanks again for those settings. I saw the calibration settings for SDR and HDR were both done in the movie mode. I prefer the more vibrant Standard mode to base things on. My question is will your settings still work fine for standard mode or were they just calibrated for movie mode? Thanks
post #1428 of 1571 Old 01-17-2020, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

I've recently purchased a 65" Q80R and I have a problem with fast motion in apps.

I have a YouView box from BT connected to my TV, which I mostly use to watch football in HD.

When I watch games on BT Sports or Sky channel via cable, everything is butter-smooth and a joy to watch. Initially, I had motion setting at auto but even after turning it off the games were perfectly enjoyable.

The problem is with most apps, both the ones built into the YouView box and the ones installed on the TV itself. Whenever I watch football on any of the following, with judder and blur reduction maxed out, slow and average-speed motion is good but fast-moving objects seem to appear in three or four places along their movement path at the same time (I guess you'd call that judder). The ball, players legs on close ups etc., it's horrible and makes games impossible to enjoy.

The problematic apps are:

BT Sport (on the TV)
BT TV (on the box)
YouTube (on the TV)

The problem doesn't stop at football, any fast-moving objects behave that way, which I noticed when watchin Horrible Histories movie on Amazon Video app (both the box version and the TV version).

Surprisingly, games look great on BBC iPlayer app (box and TV).

My first thought was that maybe iPlayer streamed at 50fps while all the other apps did at 25fps, but I don't think that's the case. I believe BT Sport at the very least serves content at 50fps, although I wouldn't put my life on it. I'd also expect Amazon Video to stream at 50fps.

I tried turning Game Mode on for apps on the box and control motion from there, but it made no difference.

I'll be grateful for any hints.
post #1429 of 1571 Old 01-17-2020, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Not sure if this is the right forum but I'm hoping you can help. I purchased a 65" Samsung Q80R and Q80R Soundbar on Dec 26th. The department store changed the delivery date 4 times and I believe the model is discontinued. I paid in full for the items but they say Samsung is the reason I dont have my TV and have now revised arrival to 1st week of Feb. Considering I paid in full and have proof of purchase does Samsung have any obligations to fulfill my purchase since it wasnt purchased directly from Samsung but instead a 3rd party vendor? I invested so much time and money preparing for this TV's arrival. I need help.
post #1430 of 1571 Old 01-18-2020, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistah Keez View Post
Considering I paid in full and have proof of purchase does Samsung have any obligations to fulfill my purchase since it wasnt purchased directly from Samsung but instead a 3rd party vendor?
No, Samsung has no obligation whatsoever. Get a refund and shop elsewhere.
joe221 likes this.
post #1431 of 1571 Old 01-18-2020, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Not sure if this is the right forum but I'm hoping you can help. I purchased a 65" Samsung Q80R and Q80R Soundbar on Dec 26th. The department store changed the delivery date 4 times and I believe the model is discontinued. I paid in full for the items but they say Samsung is the reason I dont have my TV and have now revised arrival to 1st week of Feb. Considering I paid in full and have proof of purchase does Samsung have any obligations to fulfill my purchase since it wasnt purchased directly from Samsung but instead a 3rd party vendor? I invested so much time and money preparing for this TV's arrival. I need help.
You need to deal with the store. They’re the ones playing you. Call your credit card company and dispute it. Then notify the store the order is cancelled.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
post #1432 of 1571 Old 01-18-2020, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Warm2 has been considered the most accurate, closest to film maker’s intent for a long time. Yes, calibrating the color and white point will get rid of the red hue in the whites.

How do you separate SDR and HDR settings in movie mode?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1433 of 1571 Old 01-18-2020, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldmastaflexx View Post
How do you separate SDR and HDR settings in movie mode?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Run the appropriate content and the correct settings options will appear.

post #1434 of 1571 Old 01-20-2020, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
What's discontinued? Both are current models...
post #1435 of 1571 Old 01-20-2020, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Looking at the Q80 65” a a replacement for a 65” 2016 Vizio M. Was curious if anyone here uses it for tons of gaming? Between our Xbox and Switch it would probably average 4-6 hours a day in our family. With such a requirement I decided to steer away from OLED this time around.

And was curious if all HDMI ports supported [email protected] and HDCP 2.2. Running into this issue on my Vizio as it only has 1 HDMI port that meets the spec. Unfortunately it’s a defective port. Required by the newer FiOS One TV stb if you want to watch their 4K channels. 😔
post #1436 of 1571 Old 01-20-2020, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1403 Post(s)
Liked: 1652
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSK0307 View Post
Looking at the Q80 65” a a replacement for a 65” 2016 Vizio M. Was curious if anyone here uses it for tons of gaming? Between our Xbox and Switch it would probably average 4-6 hours a day in our family. With such a requirement I decided to steer away from OLED this time around.

And was curious if all HDMI ports supported [email protected] and HDCP 2.2. Running into this issue on my Vizio as it only has 1 HDMI port that meets the spec. Unfortunately it’s a defective port. Required by the newer FiOS One TV stb if you want to watch their 4K channels. 😔
That's all mine is used for. It gets PC, PS4, Xbox, switch... Everything. It's a really good gaming TV.
Though I couldn't tell you about the ports for sure, since I use a receiver and everything is plugged into that but as far as I know, all the ports work 60hz 2.2 etc. Just one has ARC though.
joe221 likes this.
post #1437 of 1571 Old 01-20-2020, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
Quote:

And was curious if all HDMI ports supported [email protected] and HDCP 2.2. Running into this issue on my Vizio as it only has 1 HDMI port that meets the spec. Unfortunately it’️s a defective port. Required by the newer FiOS One TV stb if you want to watch their 4K channels. 😔
That's all mine is used for. It gets PC, PS4, Xbox, switch... Everything. It's a really good gaming TV.
Though I couldn't tell you about the ports for sure, since I use a receiver and everything is plugged into that but as far as I know, all the ports work 60hz 2.2 etc. Just one has ARC though.
Thank you! I appreciate the information.

I think the only thing holding me back at this point is possibly the viewing angle. Going to check out the tv in a store if I can find it somewhere. It’s a problem with the current Vizio that we have and I had planned to go with OLED for that reason. But had the burn in issue with our old plasma because of gaming and so I have that concern.
post #1438 of 1571 Old 01-20-2020, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you! I appreciate the information.

I think the only thing holding me back at this point is possibly the viewing angle. Going to check out the tv in a store if I can find it somewhere. It’s a problem with the current Vizio that we have and I had planned to go with OLED for that reason. But had the burn in issue with our old plasma because of gaming and so I have that concern.
The viewing angle is awesome. My seating in the living room is five across. Three person couch and a recliner on each end. All are superb. Not so with previous Sammy TV. I had to offset the TV on the stand to compensate. This TV is centered and squared.
The viewing distance is 15’ to center seat. Longer on the ends. Awesome set!
Q80R 65”

Last edited by joe221; 01-21-2020 at 07:48 AM.
post #1439 of 1571 Old 01-21-2020, 04:40 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Question for Q80 owners:

What made you choose this set over the Q90/Q70/other comparable LCD?

I'm mostly sold on the PQ advantage of the Q80 over the Q70, and am not convinced that the Q90 represents a jump in PQ commensurate with the difference in price over the Q80. Also, the one connect setup of the Q90 strikes me as a potential liability.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
post #1440 of 1571 Old 01-21-2020, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer Wolfe View Post
Question for Q80 owners:

What made you choose this set over the Q90/Q70/other comparable LCD?

I'm mostly sold on the PQ advantage of the Q80 over the Q70, and am not convinced that the Q90 represents a jump in PQ commensurate with the difference in price over the Q80. Also, the one connect setup of the Q90 strikes me as a potential liability.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

The only reason I purchased the Q80 over the Q90 is because I only needed a 55" set and the Q90 does not come in that size. I did read that some Q90 owners were having issues with the one connect box, but I haven't been following that forum in a while so I don't know it those issues were ever resolved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page