2019 Samsung Q80R Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 49 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 452Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1441 of 1570 Old 01-21-2020, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member
 
hiperco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: "Greater Binghamton Area"
Posts: 877
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer Wolfe View Post
Question for Q80 owners:



What made you choose this set over the Q90/Q70/other comparable LCD?



I'm mostly sold on the PQ advantage of the Q80 over the Q70, and am not convinced that the Q90 represents a jump in PQ commensurate with the difference in price over the Q80. Also, the one connect setup of the Q90 strikes me as a potential liability.



Thanks in advance for your comments.
You may want to further consider the Q70. It has much better native contrast ratio, and reports suggest it does a much better job in shadow detail (no black crush).
hiperco is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1442 of 1570 Old 01-21-2020, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
UnfoldingSquid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 752
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Thompson View Post
The only reason I purchased the Q80 over the Q90 is because I only needed a 55" set and the Q90 does not come in that size. I did read that some Q90 owners were having issues with the one connect box, but I haven't been following that forum in a while so I don't know it those issues were ever resolved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperco View Post
You may want to further consider the Q70. It has much better native contrast ratio, and reports suggest it does a much better job in shadow detail (no black crush).
The Q70 still has black crush issues, all of Samsung's QLEDs do. The reason I went with the Q80 for my bedroom was also because the Q90 only comes in 75" or bigger. The reason I went with the Q80 over the Q70 was because the Q70 only hits a peak brightness of 650-750 nits where the Q80 can do 1000-1100 nits (my calibration report said 1000 nits in Movie Mode), the local dimming on the Q80 also performs better than the Q70, as it should since the Q80 has double the zones. There's more to PQ than native contrast, and the differences on contrast are pretty negligible; Q70 is something like 1:8000 and Q80 is around 1:5000 (I challenge you to spot a difference in that with any kind of light source in your room).

Something the TV manufacturers have lost sight of the last couple of years is the HDR10 Associations requirements, which is supposed to be a minimum of 1000 nits on an LED TV. There are very few TVs this year that can hit that; I believe it's the Q90, Q80, Sony 950g and I think the TCL 8 Series.

Samsung 75Q9FN
Samsung HW-N950
Samsung UBD-M9500

Samsung 55Q80R - Bedroom
UnfoldingSquid is offline  
post #1443 of 1570 Old 01-21-2020, 11:32 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: NNY
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfoldingSquid View Post
The Q70 still has black crush issues, all of Samsung's QLEDs do. The reason I went with the Q80 for my bedroom was also because the Q90 only comes in 75" or bigger.
Does the PQ of the Q80 favorably compare with your Q9FN?
Spencer Wolfe is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1444 of 1570 Old 01-21-2020, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
UnfoldingSquid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 752
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer Wolfe View Post
Does the PQ of the Q80 favorably compare with your Q9FN?
I was actually pleasantly surprised by the Q80, obviously it’s not as bright and the blacks aren’t as good as the Q9, but I don’t watch it and hate the PQ like I did on my mu8000.

Samsung 75Q9FN
Samsung HW-N950
Samsung UBD-M9500

Samsung 55Q80R - Bedroom
UnfoldingSquid is offline  
post #1445 of 1570 Old 01-21-2020, 04:32 PM
Member
 
djpault's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma USA
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gedunk View Post
Interesting. As I have the Q80R with latest firmware, connected to Monitor 1 (eARC) on my Denon x2600h<---->Q80R HDMI 4 (ARC). When using the Q80R's native apps, Atmos is only displayed on the AVR when streaming Vudu atmos content. I've tried many atmos titles on Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, etc.......no Atmos being displayed on the AVR. I've read about Disney+ app issues on this TV but not the other services.

You are using the Q70R native streaming apps, correct?
Yes I am using the native apps Netflix, Amazon, Disney+ etc.
djpault is offline  
post #1446 of 1570 Old 01-22-2020, 09:41 AM
Newbie
 
caholla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer Wolfe View Post
Question for Q80 owners:

What made you choose this set over the Q90/Q70/other comparable LCD?

I'm mostly sold on the PQ advantage of the Q80 over the Q70, and am not convinced that the Q90 represents a jump in PQ commensurate with the difference in price over the Q80. Also, the one connect setup of the Q90 strikes me as a potential liability.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
I picked the Q80 for exactly what you stated above. I could tell a significant difference in PQ between the Q70 and Q80, especially in regards to color, brightness, contract, and glare. I couldn't tell a significant difference between the Q80 and Q90, especially for the difference in cost.

My other Samsung TV has OneConnect, and I've had no issues with it.
Spencer Wolfe likes this.
caholla is offline  
post #1447 of 1570 Old 01-22-2020, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
N8DOGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,627
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1403 Post(s)
Liked: 1652
I had the 75" q70 for a few days. The 75" q80's brightness is drastically better.
That and the fact the Sony I was trying had horrendous blooming. The q80 isn't perfect but it's a really good set.

My friend just got a q80 and q90 to put head to head (both open boxes from my buddy's store) so should be fun to have some food time to side by side the 2 of them.
joe221 likes this.
N8DOGG is online now  
post #1448 of 1570 Old 01-22-2020, 11:38 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
For Unfolding Squid

UnfoldingSquid re calibration

To UnfoldingSquid, thanks again for those settings. I saw the calibration settings for SDR and HDR were both done in the movie mode. I prefer the more vibrant Standard mode to base things on. My question is will your settings still work fine for standard mode or were they just calibrated for movie mode? Thanks
Vic69 is offline  
post #1449 of 1570 Old 01-22-2020, 03:04 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi, I am getting a Q85R in the next few days to replace my older Samsung KS9000, i will use the colour settings people have given in here and see how they go.

Can anyone tell me are there any other options that’s best to set on / off? There was settings on the KS9000 such as smart LED, auto motion plus, dynamic contrast that was all recommended to be off, is there anything similar with the Q85R? Are the same settings on it still being a Samsung?

Any tips before I get the TV would be great; I am in the UK not sure if that matters at all.

Thanks

James
jay1981 is offline  
post #1450 of 1570 Old 01-23-2020, 04:25 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Samsung Q80 and Q85

Hi, I am trying to figure out if my sky q is working properly, does anyone who has this tv and sky q do they see the HDR+ included under the picture mode? I am sure this should be on sky q as I can access sky sports UHD.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200123_085648_1579778695933.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	2674522  
jobi59uk is offline  
post #1451 of 1570 Old 01-23-2020, 12:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Sparty1020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Shopping to replace my KS8500. Unfortunately, screen cleaning may have ruined my set so looking to replace it and considering the QR80.

Do Samsung sets no longer have HDR+? My wife and I love the feature and use it exclusively for non 4K sources.

Thanks!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sparty1020 is offline  
post #1452 of 1570 Old 01-23-2020, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Bruc3L3r0y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty1020 View Post
Shopping to replace my KS8500. Unfortunately, screen cleaning may have ruined my set so looking to replace it and considering the QR80.

Do Samsung sets no longer have HDR+? My wife and I love the feature and use it exclusively for non 4K sources.

Thanks!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If it's what I think you're referring to, it needs to be enabled in the service menu.
Bruc3L3r0y is offline  
post #1453 of 1570 Old 01-24-2020, 08:33 AM
Senior Member
 
rpearlberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Can this 65" Q80r be mounted with the "No Gap Wall Mount"? If not, what is the thinnest mount to use for this? Mounting above a fireplace, don't need full motion, just want to tilt it down a bit, but as close to the wall as possible.

Last edited by rpearlberg; 01-24-2020 at 08:42 AM.
rpearlberg is offline  
post #1454 of 1570 Old 01-24-2020, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
T-Bone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 2,290
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruc3L3r0y View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty1020 View Post
Shopping to replace my KS8500. Unfortunately, screen cleaning may have ruined my set so looking to replace it and considering the QR80.

Do Samsung sets no longer have HDR+? My wife and I love the feature and use it exclusively for non 4K sources.

Thanks!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If it's what I think you're referring to, it needs to be enabled in the service menu.
I just received my Q80R. Still sitting in the box at the moment.

When you see the service menu, you're saying that somewhere in the service menu we can enable SDR to HDR conversion?

asking since to enable HDR plus that's in the settings menu under expert as I recall.

-T
T-Bone is online now  
post #1455 of 1570 Old 01-25-2020, 01:33 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay1981 View Post
Hi, I am getting a Q85R in the next few days to replace my older Samsung KS9000, i will use the colour settings people have given in here and see how they go.

Can anyone tell me are there any other options that’s best to set on / off? There was settings on the KS9000 such as smart LED, auto motion plus, dynamic contrast that was all recommended to be off, is there anything similar with the Q85R? Are the same settings on it still being a Samsung?

Any tips before I get the TV would be great; I am in the UK not sure if that matters at all.

Thanks

James

I am picking up my TV today, does anyone know the answer to the above please? would be great to have all the settings sorted


Thanks
James
jay1981 is offline  
post #1456 of 1570 Old 01-25-2020, 05:25 PM
Member
 
harrellh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ordered and received my 2019 82" Q80 from Samsung.com last week and have been playing around with the settings.

Initially, it had a quirky issue, after taking it out of the box, removing the styrofoam blocks, and unwrapping the protective foam "sack", it had this fine "glaze" on the screen that could only be seen with the TV off and using a flashlight held at an angle (I noticed the glaze while looking for the screen protector -- see below). While the glaze did not seem to effect the picture quality (which was outstanding), it bothered me, and so I called Samsung who said they thought it was probably from the foam "sack", and recommended I wipe the screen with a micro-fiber cloth, which I gently did, and the glaze easily and completely came off almost like it was a fine "dust".

The original packing looked complete as well as new, so I don't -think- I somehow got a used or refurbished unit. There was absolutely positively no screen protector in place, other than the two thin strips on the right and left sides of the screen, and the thin protector around the bezel -- and Samsung confirmed for larger models there probably would not be one for the entire screen (seems bizarre to me). To make sure, I checked the corners with a magnifying glass, and tried the flashlight trick to see if the reflection was white or a rainbow, and it was a rainbow (apparently that's due to the antiglare and/or wide-viewing angle screen capability).

Decoding my serial number "08UW3CAMC00XXX" (XXX are numbers) seems to indicate: made in Mexico in Dec 2019, so a very recent build. The version was "FA01" so a Samsung-made panel from the first run ... which surprised me. Not sure if I should consider myself lucky.

In any event it has a great picture ... except ... I have my current previous TV, a 65" KS8000 set up right next to it, so I can do an A/B comparison -- and while the Q80 is brighter, and has a slightly crisper detail, overall IMO the picture is just not that much better (other than being bigger of course). In fact, I have not been able to adjust the colors quite to my liking, even using Movie/Warm2 there seems to be just a hint of too much green in the flesh tones, where my KS8000 seems more "correct" or perhaps I should say more "to my liking" -- which I don't blame the TV for and may need to have it calibrated. Regardless of source material -- standard or HD resolution, SDR or HDR, there are always a few scenes where the KS8000 actually looks better -- so I'm actually thinking of returning the Q80 and just living with my KS8000 a few more years, and try again a few years down the road. I've only got a 15-day return window, so it's hard to get comfortable with it in that short a time span, especially considering the price commanded by the Q80.

Comments regarding my experience would be very welcome. Thanks.

-H
harrellh is offline  
post #1457 of 1570 Old 01-26-2020, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
T-Bone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 2,290
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Finally set up the 75 in. Off angle viewing is phenomenal on this set. I attached a couple of pictures. But if you own that you already know &#x1f642;. But for those researching, I guess I'm about 75&#176; off angle. Sure, the reds are slightly faded. Black level is still pretty decent.
My old 1080p Sharp Aquos would have looked totally washed out and bland.

For the most part, I think the natural picture mode is the most pleasant. It's in the family room so I find the ambient light sensing that adjusts the backlight works best for us.

I'll spend some time looking at some of the settings that have been posted earlier in the thread, but since every said is different, not really sure what's going to buy me much. I guess I'll use my Spears & munsil disc.

As for motion handling, most things it works very well. Buttery smooth. Although I have a recording of Jurassic world from NBC broadcast that's 1080i, and at the beginning of the movie when you see the universal logo circle the Earth, and ET on the bicycle, it's awfully juddery if I have motion handling on. But when I turn off blur reduction and judder reduction, it's suitable to view. But other content, recorded from Comcast cable from several years ago, is smooth. In the fast action scenes. So I might attribute that to be something specific to the Jurassic world broadcast.

I have it on Blu-ray but I haven't tried that one yet. I'm going to do that to see the comparison.

-T
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200126_083053_1580046338063.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	2.52 MB
ID:	2676114   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200126_083110_1580046366937.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	2.60 MB
ID:	2676120  
T-Bone is online now  
post #1458 of 1570 Old 01-26-2020, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
iserum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: MI
Posts: 805
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 119
after debating between SONY and SAMSUNG i ordered 75 inch set. need to check the distance between bottom of tv to stand, i am wondering i can put my sound bar front or back of Tv. sound bar is slightly under 4 inch, i could put in back of TV

SONY XBR75X900F: Oppo UDP-203: DirecTv 4K: ATV4K
Marantz SR6013: Aircom T8: Dolby Atmos 5.2.4
Definitive Tech. BP9060, CS 9060 HD: Mythos GEM: SM 55
Subwoofer Paradigm X12: Panamax MR4300
Harmony Elite Remote:Philips Hue Ambient Lights
iserum is online now  
post #1459 of 1570 Old 01-26-2020, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Bruc3L3r0y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post

I just received my Q80R. Still sitting in the box at the moment.

When you see the service menu, you're saying that somewhere in the service menu we can enable SDR to HDR conversion?

asking since to enable HDR plus that's in the settings menu under expert as I recall.
Yes. In the service menu, in production options I believe is the option to enable HDR plus. It is disabled by default. Once you enable it, you will see the option to turn it on in expert settings.
Bruc3L3r0y is offline  
post #1460 of 1570 Old 01-26-2020, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
iserum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: MI
Posts: 805
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrellh View Post
I ordered and received my 2019 82" Q80 from Samsung.com last week and have been playing around with the settings.

Initially, it had a quirky issue, after taking it out of the box, removing the styrofoam blocks, and unwrapping the protective foam "sack", it had this fine "glaze" on the screen that could only be seen with the TV off and using a flashlight held at an angle (I noticed the glaze while looking for the screen protector -- see below). While the glaze did not seem to effect the picture quality (which was outstanding), it bothered me, and so I called Samsung who said they thought it was probably from the foam "sack", and recommended I wipe the screen with a micro-fiber cloth, which I gently did, and the glaze easily and completely came off almost like it was a fine "dust".

The original packing looked complete as well as new, so I don't -think- I somehow got a used or refurbished unit. There was absolutely positively no screen protector in place, other than the two thin strips on the right and left sides of the screen, and the thin protector around the bezel -- and Samsung confirmed for larger models there probably would not be one for the entire screen (seems bizarre to me). To make sure, I checked the corners with a magnifying glass, and tried the flashlight trick to see if the reflection was white or a rainbow, and it was a rainbow (apparently that's due to the antiglare and/or wide-viewing angle screen capability).

Decoding my serial number "08UW3CAMC00XXX" (XXX are numbers) seems to indicate: made in Mexico in Dec 2019, so a very recent build. The version was "FA01" so a Samsung-made panel from the first run ... which surprised me. Not sure if I should consider myself lucky.

In any event it has a great picture ... except ... I have my current previous TV, a 65" KS8000 set up right next to it, so I can do an A/B comparison -- and while the Q80 is brighter, and has a slightly crisper detail, overall IMO the picture is just not that much better (other than being bigger of course). In fact, I have not been able to adjust the colors quite to my liking, even using Movie/Warm2 there seems to be just a hint of too much green in the flesh tones, where my KS8000 seems more "correct" or perhaps I should say more "to my liking" -- which I don't blame the TV for and may need to have it calibrated. Regardless of source material -- standard or HD resolution, SDR or HDR, there are always a few scenes where the KS8000 actually looks better -- so I'm actually thinking of returning the Q80 and just living with my KS8000 a few more years, and try again a few years down the road. I've only got a 15-day return window, so it's hard to get comfortable with it in that short a time span, especially considering the price commanded by the Q80.

Comments regarding my experience would be very welcome. Thanks.

-H
may be you are used to KS8000, it is very difficult to compare the PQ of larger screen tv to smaller as smaller looks always better if every things else is similar, lot of people when compare their Edge lit LED tv to the FALD unit they say Edge lit was more brighter, there were some edge lit produced by SONY which have insane brightness, those tv have very poor clouding and blooming issue also, On my SONY 75XF900 clouding is almost non existing but on my JS9000 Samsung it is visible and I don't like it in dark room viewing. JS9000 was my first LCD bough after owning plasma for years so i never like it watching in dark. all Edge lit behave very similar with bright black bars at top and bottom, so after SAMSUNG JS9000 experience my next tv was C6 OLED, this the tv i love most due to beautiful blacks and color, don't have budget for 77 inch model so Q80 is closest with some flaws, there is no perfect tv anyway.

KS8000 is not a bad tv by any means, i won't blame you for you decision as you compared Q80 side by side.

SONY XBR75X900F: Oppo UDP-203: DirecTv 4K: ATV4K
Marantz SR6013: Aircom T8: Dolby Atmos 5.2.4
Definitive Tech. BP9060, CS 9060 HD: Mythos GEM: SM 55
Subwoofer Paradigm X12: Panamax MR4300
Harmony Elite Remote:Philips Hue Ambient Lights
iserum is online now  
post #1461 of 1570 Old 01-27-2020, 11:08 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have had my Q80R for about a month now. I received my display with a couple of clusters of dead pixels, but Samsung has subsequently replaced the screen and it is now perfect.

I am loving this TV, especially since it was a substantial upgrade to my previous set bought 7+years ago. The picture quality is superb and although I was originally looking at the Q70R, the wide viewing angle pulled me up to the Q80R as it performs very well in this regard. I loved the idea of a OLED, but I will be playing a decent amount of games and I just didn't want to deal with the potential hassle/risk f burn-in. The user interface and the way the Q80R handles inputs is excellent. I am particularly enjoying being able to control everything from one sleek and simple remote that doesn't require line of sight.

There are a couple of issues I have/have had that I wanted to share in case anyone has any input or in case what I have discovered to date is helpful for others:

1) The universal remote(unresolved): It cannot connect to my pioneer receiver (VSX-824-K). This is only a minor annoyance as it is still able control the receiver volume and turn it on/off.

2) Bixby (solved): There are a number of complaints about this software and in the end I turned the assistant off. I do however find it quite good at recognizing my voice when speaking directly into the remote to input text for a web browser/youtube etc.

3) Motion (solved for me?): I have been struggling to find motion settings that work for me. I see this has been discussed a little previously, but nothing noted earlier has been to my liking. I followed recommendations on Rtings.com and a number of other sites, but didn't find anything to suit my liking. Even setting the motion to Off or trying Custom with both sliders to 0. While these have their strong points, I kept seeing a blurring to motion that just didn't look right. Sometimes it depended on the viewing material. This bothered me quite a bit as I found the motion handling on my older TV (although very basic) to not appear to cause any visual oddities regardless of the source. Now, motion handling is typically a very subjective thing, which is why it is nice that these newer TVs offer a lot of options, but it can be difficult to get to a place where it feels just right. All that said, after a month of tweaking I think I have landed in a comfortable spot that is working for me in every scenario at the moment. I am using these settings for both SDR (including blueray) and HDR:
Blur: 10 - Honestly, I didn't find the lower range to make a difference and its hard to see the differences between the single digit changes at the higher end. I wasn't seeing artifacts on 10, so to me this was an all or nothing sort of thing.
Judder: 1 - I saw a lot of recommendations suggesting that if this is used at all that 3 is a good spot. I found for me that this crossed the 'soap opera' borderline. I tried 2 for a while, but it is still just a little to 'real' and removed that movie look that my wife and I both love. Zero results in some poorer motion on landscape pans etc. that I found setting this to 1 this removed.
LED Clear Motion: ON - Again, a lot of this is subjective, but to my eyes (even with the settings above) having this on greatly improved instances of fast motion. I watch mostly action films, so the benefits of this seem to outweigh the drawbacks. It cleared up the picture motion without making it look like a 'soap opera'. Clear motion does make the picture a little less bright (which can be a pain on HDR), but the brightness/backlight can be increased to offset.

4)White Menus(solved): White menus were driving me nuts. Turning on High Contrast in the Accessibility options results in blacks menus, which to me is far superior. Especially, in the dark room setting.
[email protected] is offline  
post #1462 of 1570 Old 01-27-2020, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
T-Bone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 2,290
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

3) Motion (solved for me?): I have been struggling to find motion settings that work for me. I see this has been discussed a little previously, but nothing noted earlier has been to my liking. I followed recommendations on Rtings.com and a number of other sites, but didn't find anything to suit my liking. Even setting the motion to Off or trying Custom with both sliders to 0. While these have their strong points, I kept seeing a blurring to motion that just didn't look right. Sometimes it depended on the viewing material. This bothered me quite a bit as I found the motion handling on my older TV (although very basic) to not appear to cause any visual oddities regardless of the source. Now, motion handling is typically a very subjective thing, which is why it is nice that these newer TVs offer a lot of options, but it can be difficult to get to a place where it feels just right. All that said, after a month of tweaking I think I have landed in a comfortable spot that is working for me in every scenario at the moment. I am using these settings for both SDR (including blueray) and HDR:
Blur: 10 - Honestly, I didn't find the lower range to make a difference and its hard to see the differences between the single digit changes at the higher end. I wasn't seeing artifacts on 10, so to me this was an all or nothing sort of thing.
Judder: 1 - I saw a lot of recommendations suggesting that if this is used at all that 3 is a good spot. I found for me that this crossed the 'soap opera' borderline. I tried 2 for a while, but it is still just a little to 'real' and removed that movie look that my wife and I both love. Zero results in some poorer motion on landscape pans etc. that I found setting this to 1 this removed.
Thanks for the insight. I noticed no difference on my Q80 with the the Blur Reduction. I was using 60 fps material (Football). Noticed no difference, so I set to 0.

Judder. Yup, subjective. 6 gets rid of all panning issues in all the movies i tested on my TiVO (1080i comcast broadcasts of 24p movies from 2014). I have not tested native 24p BD yet. But 6 introduced some artifacts on fast moving scenes (Disney movie Planes). So I am keeping at 3 for now since it seems (to me) not to introduce unsightly artifacts. And smoothes out just enough.

-T
T-Bone is online now  
post #1463 of 1570 Old 01-27-2020, 02:20 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I have only had my Q85R a day but like my KS9000 out of the box there was definitely a bit of a judder if things were moving fast, I’m not too sure about setting the auto motion or digital clean view to different levels to fix this but like my old KS9000 i have found that just turning these settings off completely seems to fix it 100%. So i always wonder why else I’d set these values to custom settings when turning them off seems to fix it?

Maybe setting to custom makes it even better do people think?
jay1981 is offline  
post #1464 of 1570 Old 01-28-2020, 12:56 PM
Member
 
djpault's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma USA
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 14
After doing some research I am returning my Q70R and have purchased the Q80R Best Buy will deliver it on Saturday. Was wondering if someone could share the link to UnfoldingSquid's calibration settings that I have been reading about. Thanks so much.
joe221 likes this.
djpault is offline  
post #1465 of 1570 Old 01-28-2020, 02:23 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by djpault View Post
After doing some research I am returning my Q70R and have purchased the Q80R Best Buy will deliver it on Saturday. Was wondering if someone could share the link to UnfoldingSquid's calibration settings that I have been reading about. Thanks so much.

I would also like to know about this if anyone has a link for us please?
jay1981 is offline  
post #1466 of 1570 Old 01-28-2020, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
UnfoldingSquid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 752
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 351
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post59102486

@djpault and @jay1981
joe221, djpault and jay1981 like this.

Samsung 75Q9FN
Samsung HW-N950
Samsung UBD-M9500

Samsung 55Q80R - Bedroom
UnfoldingSquid is offline  
post #1467 of 1570 Old 01-28-2020, 04:29 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Thannk you UnfoldingSquid
UnfoldingSquid likes this.
jay1981 is offline  
post #1468 of 1570 Old 01-28-2020, 09:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
iserum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: MI
Posts: 805
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistah Keez View Post
Not sure if this is the right forum but I'm hoping you can help. I purchased a 65" Samsung Q80R and Q80R Soundbar on Dec 26th. The department store changed the delivery date 4 times and I believe the model is discontinued. I paid in full for the items but they say Samsung is the reason I dont have my TV and have now revised arrival to 1st week of Feb. Considering I paid in full and have proof of purchase does Samsung have any obligations to fulfill my purchase since it wasnt purchased directly from Samsung but instead a 3rd party vendor? I invested so much time and money preparing for this TV's arrival. I need help.
store might be right i have ordered mine also, store told me upfront that it might be two weeks out, end of first week of Feb worse case 2nd week, only paid a deposit not full price, it is 75 inch Q80R.

SONY XBR75X900F: Oppo UDP-203: DirecTv 4K: ATV4K
Marantz SR6013: Aircom T8: Dolby Atmos 5.2.4
Definitive Tech. BP9060, CS 9060 HD: Mythos GEM: SM 55
Subwoofer Paradigm X12: Panamax MR4300
Harmony Elite Remote:Philips Hue Ambient Lights
iserum is online now  
post #1469 of 1570 Old 01-29-2020, 07:28 AM
Senior Member
 
rpearlberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistah Keez View Post
Not sure if this is the right forum but I'm hoping you can help. I purchased a 65" Samsung Q80R and Q80R Soundbar on Dec 26th. The department store changed the delivery date 4 times and I believe the model is discontinued. I paid in full for the items but they say Samsung is the reason I dont have my TV and have now revised arrival to 1st week of Feb. Considering I paid in full and have proof of purchase does Samsung have any obligations to fulfill my purchase since it wasnt purchased directly from Samsung but instead a 3rd party vendor? I invested so much time and money preparing for this TV's arrival. I need help.
I can't answer your question, but curious to see how you like this set up once you get it. I'm looking at the 65" Q80R and then will need to get a soundbar to go with it, so maybe the Q80R soundbar as well...
joe221 likes this.
rpearlberg is offline  
post #1470 of 1570 Old 01-29-2020, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Bruc3L3r0y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfoldingSquid View Post
UnfoldingSquid,

Did they make any adjustments to the white Balance or color space settings? If so, would you be able to share those as well?

Thanks.
Bruc3L3r0y is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off