2019 Samsung Q80R Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 56 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 476Likes

post #1651 of 1691 Old 03-23-2020, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamanaco View Post
I'm in New York... as per the profile summary you can see on the left panel.
I'm in NY too. I ran the auto update a couple times can't get it to show anything beyond 1351. I wonder why its pushing out to some sets and not others.
joe221 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 1691 Old 03-23-2020, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHans View Post
I'm in NY too. I ran the auto update a couple times can't get it to show anything beyond 1351. I wonder why its pushing out to some sets and not others.
Maybe the panel is the differentiation? Not sure how specific they make the firmwares.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
post #1653 of 1691 Old 03-23-2020, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe221 View Post
Maybe the panel is the differentiation? Not sure how specific they make the firmwares.
That's an interesting thought. Who knows. I'm just waiting for eARC to get pushed through. Samsung is on time/late as always with their updates.
joe221 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1654 of 1691 Old 03-24-2020, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rshaw View Post
Dim Text. I have subtitles on a lot and when the background is dark or black they fade and nearly disappear. As soon as there something else on the screen they brighten up. I'm thinking this is a local dimming issue. I can live with it but wonder is there are some adjustments to improve/eliminate the problem. Thanks
Only way I found out is PC mode, but I think local dimming is disabled in PC mode and PWM is 120hz.
BTW I use movie mode even for gaming because of PWM.

As for update, Check in support menu does not find it for me too, but I got notification about update available, which i ignored. I live in eastern europe and have tv with samsung panel - clearly there is difference between notification and manual update check
post #1655 of 1691 Old 03-27-2020, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Help! Not sure if I started peeling off something I wasn't supposed to. I just unboxed an 82" Q80 and there was no pull tab to take a protective film or coating off the screen, but my screen appeared to have some type of film on it. I started to peel it off but I'm having a lot of trouble peeling this layer off and it has a little bit of a chemical smell to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8376.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	673.8 KB
ID:	2702434   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8375.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	924.7 KB
ID:	2702436   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8374.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	669.6 KB
ID:	2702438  
post #1656 of 1691 Old 03-27-2020, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick268 View Post
Help! Not sure if I started peeling off something I wasn't supposed to. I just unboxed an 82" Q80 and there was no pull tab to take a protective film or coating off the screen, but my screen appeared to have some type of film on it. I started to peel it off but I'm having a lot of trouble peeling this layer off and it has a little bit of a chemical smell to it.
Sure looks like you just ruined your new set

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
post #1657 of 1691 Old 03-27-2020, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
I posted an image probably around a month ago in this thread. I included a picture of my TV with the protective plastic on it. And the light reflection based on that protective plastic film.

in that same post... another picture of the reflection but with the protective film off.

I own the 75-in. you should look at those images and turn on your TV with some bright lights to see how it reflects light and compare those images to my images.

It could very well be that you started peeling off the actual wide viewing angle film. In your images, the plastic that you show peeled up maintains its form. Meaning it appears to be peeled off and away from the TV screen. My protective film was floppy. As soon as I let it go it just fell back onto the screen. The force of gravity pulled it downward. That does not appear to have happened with your film.

It looks like you just ruined your television. If so, that truly is a sad story.

-T

Edit:. Link...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post59223346
post #1658 of 1691 Old 03-27-2020, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1329 Post(s)
Liked: 1184
Quote:
it's dead, jim.
post #1659 of 1691 Old 03-27-2020, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:

That film is definitely more rigid and thicker than the normal protective film that comes on these TVs. I think I remember reading here that some 82" owner's TVs didn't have the protective film at all. Doesn't look good for you I'm sorry to say.
post #1660 of 1691 Old 03-27-2020, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:

Yeah, 82" doesn't have a protective film on it. That's the anti reflective coating I believe...ouch.
post #1661 of 1691 Old 03-28-2020, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yeah, my 82" did not a have a film, but it seemed there was uncertainty around the time I purchased. I kept going at a corner with a razor blade and never came up with anything but some small scratches in the glass that thankfully, isn't part of the picture. It is annoying nonetheless because I know it's there. Sorry about your screen.
post #1662 of 1691 Old 03-31-2020, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
See what type of “oops” coverage you have from your credit card. Remember the peanut butter in the VCR ads? I do. Blame the kids! Good luck! 😭

post #1663 of 1691 Old 04-01-2020, 02:29 PM

Well, as a matter of fact, when I unboxed the TV and removed those thick gray adhesive foam pieces that were on both sides of the screen, they were on pretty tight. When I pulled them off, a bit of the corner actually came up with it, which led me to believe that was film that needed to be removed. In addition to reading this forum, and remembering that many users reported having a removable film/screen protector on their Q80's that was not labeled and they didn't realize had to be removed. That is what prompted me to pull on the corner...as soon as I did, I realized how thick it was and that something was wrong.

I immediately called Samsung customer service and sent them pictures, as it was purchased directly from Samsung. They confirmed with me that the TV was defective and provided me a return shipping label to send it back. I just got FedEX confirmation that the TV was delivered to Samsung today...waiting for them to acknowledge it. I read the user manual...nowhere in it does it state there is a film on the TV. This is my 5th Samsung TV and all four of them had a removable screen protector. This is the first one I ever owned that doesn't have one- and believe me, the film doesn't go all the way to the screen edges, so it looked like something that had to be removed. Thanks for checking in.
joe221, Primestar31 and thos19 like this.
post #1664 of 1691 Old 04-01-2020, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, as a matter of fact, when I unboxed the TV and removed those thick gray adhesive foam pieces that were on both sides of the screen, they were on pretty tight. When I pulled them off, a bit of the corner actually came up with it, which led me to believe that was film that needed to be removed. In addition to reading this forum, and remembering that many users reported having a removable film/screen protector on their Q80's that was not labeled and they didn't realize had to be removed. That is what prompted me to pull on the corner...as soon as I did, I realized how thick it was and that something was wrong.

I immediately called Samsung customer service and sent them pictures, as it was purchased directly from Samsung. They confirmed with me that the TV was defective and provided me a return shipping label to send it back. I just got FedEX confirmation that the TV was delivered to Samsung today...waiting for them to acknowledge it. I read the user manual...nowhere in it does it state there is a film on the TV. This is my 5th Samsung TV and all four of them had a removable screen protector. This is the first one I ever owned that doesn't have one- and believe me, the film doesn't go all the way to the screen edges, so it looked like something that had to be removed. Thanks for checking in.
Whew! Thanks goodness.

post #1665 of 1691 Old 04-02-2020, 01:01 PM

Wow- this was much quicker and easier than I thought it would be. Thank goodness!

"Thank you for promptly returning your Samsung item. We have successfully processed and completed your return. It may take up to four business days for the refund credit to be reflected in your original payment account.

Thank you for shopping on Samsung.com."

Now- I'm deciding if I should order another 82" Q80 or for the same price buy a 75" Q90. What do you guys think? It's a lot of money for a 75" TV.
joe221 likes this.
post #1666 of 1691 Old 04-02-2020, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Wow- this was much quicker and easier than I thought it would be. Thank goodness!

"Thank you for promptly returning your Samsung item. We have successfully processed and completed your return. It may take up to four business days for the refund credit to be reflected in your original payment account.

Now- I'm deciding if I should order another 82" Q80 or for the same price buy a 75" Q90. What do you guys think? It's a lot of money for a 75" TV.
Congratulations. And you did not even have to blame it on the children 🙂

That's a tough call. When I was in Best Buy there was a difference between the 90 and the 80 in those bright lights and on the display wall.

In my case, since I was looking for a 75-in, I didn't think the 90 was worth all of that extra money for the 75-in Q80... So I went with the Q80 75-in.

There are many more zones on the q90... So let's chance of blooming. Although I don't really see blooming all that much on my set while watching moving video.

In terms of reflection, in Best Buy I could swear that the 90 anti-reflection was better than the 80. I think it was someone on AVS who said they use exactly the same anti-reflection filter. So maybe it was just all in my head.

And from every review I've read it is the closest LED television to an OLED. So there's that, and the smart box. 🙂

Since it's the same price, I think I would go with the 82-in Q80.

-T
post #1667 of 1691 Old 04-02-2020, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:

As long as it's the Q90R and not the 2020 Q90T model... the Q90T is the exact same specs as the Q80R, the 4k 2020 models are all getting a downgrade.

It really depends what you watch and how you light the room it's going in. If you watch in a brighter room and don't watch a lot of movies I'd say stick with the Q80, if you have a darker room and like to watch movies the Q90 gets much better peak brightness and better blacks.
joe221 likes this.

Samsung 75Q9FN
Samsung HW-N950
Samsung UBD-M9500

Samsung 55Q80R - Bedroom
post #1668 of 1691 Old 04-02-2020, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had a problem with lip sync using optical out. I am posting this solution in case anyone has this problem.

Typical lip sync problem is that the audio precedes the video because the hdmi cable goes from the avr to the tv.

With optical the video is first and then the audio goes from the tv to the avr.

The lip synch adjust in the tv will not adjust optical out. The avr lipsynch only works on an hdmi input. (From what I believe)

After searching, I found a solution from a Sony site.

The problem is from a video setting and not an audio one.

If you have this problem (toslink optical audio is out of synch) then check that “Automotion Plus” is turned on. Also “Digital Cleanview” may help.
post #1669 of 1691 Old 04-03-2020, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 16
What size screws do I use for the 55" Q80R? I'm using the Sanus LL11 wall mount.
post #1670 of 1691 Old 04-03-2020, 08:24 AM

Someone who has the 65" model, can you please tell me how wide apart the legs are? Need to know if it will fit on current stand.
joe221 likes this.
post #1671 of 1691 Old 04-03-2020, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpearlberg View Post
What size screws do I use for the 55" Q80R? I'm using the Sanus LL11 wall mount.
Not sure on Sanus. I got the Kanto wall mount from Samsung so probably a bit different. The TV does mount very nicely. Good luck.
post #1672 of 1691 Old 04-03-2020, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHans View Post
Not sure on Sanus. I got the Kanto wall mount from Samsung so probably a bit different. The TV does mount very nicely. Good luck.
Thanks. I think the screw size should be the same that fits into the TV, I think it's M8 but want to confirm.
post #1673 of 1691 Old 04-03-2020, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
I have the 82-inch Q80R, but its the same manual. It lists the same screw size for all sets - M8 screws with 41 to 43 mm length. The spacing is different for each set with the 55 inch having x 200 mm spacing.
post #1674 of 1691 Old 04-03-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgyenese View Post
I have the 82-inch Q80R, but its the same manual. It lists the same screw size for all sets - M8 screws with 41 to 43 mm length. The spacing is different for each set with the 55 inch having x 200 mm spacing.
Thanks! One more question. Does anyone know the distance from the top of the TV to the top mounting holes on the 55"?
post #1675 of 1691 Old 04-03-2020, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks! One more question. Does anyone know the distance from the top of the TV to the top mounting holes on the 55"?

According to the manual it is 8.4 inches from the top to the center of the upper mounting screen holes for the 55 inch set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1676 of 1691 Old 04-03-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgyenese View Post
According to the manual it is 8.4 inches from the top to the center of the upper mounting screen holes for the 55 inch set.

Thank you!!
post #1677 of 1691 Old 04-03-2020, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
I measure approximately 8".
post #1678 of 1691 Old 04-03-2020, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Someone who has the 65" model, can you please tell me how wide apart the legs are? Need to know if it will fit on current stand.
Outside edge to outside edge I get 41”.

post #1679 of 1691 Old 04-03-2020, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a Samsung Hw -j4000 curved soundbar. And the problem I am having is people tell me it's too loud I have to soundbar hooked up in my bedroom and it set to bitstream. Dts neo on the tv so how can I fix this
post #1680 of 1691 Old 04-04-2020, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Does anyone else have an issue with their Q80R turning off on its own after a certain amount of time? Auto off is not selected. Only happens when playing video games. I have it connected with just a single hdmi cable coming from my demon receiver. To my recollection, it’s never just turned off when watching movies...just when playing video games.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page