2019 Samsung Q80R Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 59 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 503Likes

post #1741 of 1858 Old 04-22-2020, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpixelmaybe View Post
My 55" Q80R came in today, unboxed it, set it up, turned it on... and dead center of the screen is a gnat-sized dead pixel cluster clearly visible from 8 feet away.

Thoughts? Am I correct that because they're dead (no color, just gray/black) and not stuck, they're always going to be there? Should I exchange right away (unfortunately it was delivered from ABT so it'll have to be shipped back) or is this common? My previous TV had some dead pixel clusters also but they were much less visible unless you were right up on the screen and the screen was white.
Exchange it right away. Dead pixels are not as common as they used to be. ABT offers free return shipping I thought.

-T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1742 of 1858 Old 04-23-2020, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpearlberg View Post
Sorry, not sure why it posted like that! yeah, it's the Q80 soundbar. definitely overkill for my needs, but wanted to get a tv and soundbar and hopefully be good for a while. I bought the 65" but it was too big so went with the 55". 65" is still in my garage, trying to sell it.
I'll take that 65" off your hands...wish you were in Houston!!!

Jutter is gone..zipadeedoodah zipadeeday!!!
post #1743 of 1858 Old 04-23-2020, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

I have my 75" up and love it...one thing. I have my Xbox OneX plugged into HDMI 3. Everything works fine, but even when I have it to the Xbox Source, I CANNOT find the Game setting to reduce lag. Is it missing from my set or something?? Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1744 of 1858 Old 04-23-2020, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
My 55" Q80R came in today, unboxed it, set it up, turned it on... and dead center of the screen is a gnat-sized dead pixel cluster clearly visible from 8 feet away.

Thoughts? Am I correct that because they're dead (no color, just gray/black) and not stuck, they're always going to be there? Should I exchange right away (unfortunately it was delivered from ABT so it'll have to be shipped back) or is this common? My previous TV had some dead pixel clusters also but they were much less visible unless you were right up on the screen and the screen was white.
Send it back!

Don't settle for a bad screen, it will drive you crazy in the future.

Fortunately, my 55" Q80R has a clean screen - unlike my previous Samsung.

In retrospect, I'm sorry that I didn't exchange that one!

I know it's a bother, but take action!!!!!
post #1745 of 1858 Old 04-23-2020, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCF34 View Post
I have my 75" up and love it...one thing. I have my Xbox OneX plugged into HDMI 3. Everything works fine, but even when I have it to the Xbox Source, I CANNOT find the Game setting to reduce lag. Is it missing from my set or something?? Thanks!!
Bueller? Bueller?

post #1746 of 1858 Old 04-23-2020, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Quote:
Bueller? Bueller?
I was messing around with the settings when I saw your post earlier. I think the lag is built in. If you just go into settings external devices and turn on game mode for that source that you are connected to, that should enable low lag.

But I could be wrong 🙂

-T
post #1747 of 1858 Old 04-23-2020, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Quote:
Bueller? Bueller?
Can I pm you? I have the 82" and I can't get my Xbox X in 4k. If we could compare settings that'd be great.
post #1748 of 1858 Old 04-24-2020, 03:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi everyone. I am Italian, therefore I apologize in advance for my not perfect English 😅

I have two question. I recently bought the Samsung Q80R, and I connected it to the PS4 Pro. I wanted to buy an HDMI 2.1 cable, so as to replace the one found inside the console box (without brand). I am aware that both the TV and the PS4 Pro do not have the 2.1 standard, but only the 2.0 one, but do you think any improvements could be noticed?

I'm talking about image quality, color depth and other things. Have any of you purchased a 2.1 cable and noticed any improvements over 2.0? Sorry for the question, but not much is said about it, and many argue that there are small improvements (even on 2.0 devices).

Second thing. Together with the TV, I bought the Samsung HW-Q70R soundbar, and unfortunately via ARC and setting Dolby or DTS 5.1 there is an audio delay. (this unfortunately happens to everyone with this soundbar, and also with the superior model).

If I buy an HDMI 2.1 cable also for ARC (therefore from soundbar to TV), instead of the 2.0 one of the package, could it reduce the delay?

Thank you all in advance.
post #1749 of 1858 Old 04-24-2020, 05:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Rookie soundbar question, never owned one before:

I currently own a 2019 Samsung Q80 TV and looking to buy the matching Q80 soundbar.

I currently have 4 devices plugged into my TV HDMI ports- cable box, xbox one x, nintendo switch, 4k blu ray player.

If I want to hookup my soundbar to my TV by ARC (which is the 4th HDMI input on my TV), I would then have to plug at least one of my devices directly into my sound bar.

My question is; I currently have custom picture settings on my TV for each HDMI source. How does this work if you plug two devices directly into the soundbar and let the soundbar transfer the video to your TV by ARC? Can you still have separate video settings for these devices?

I'm considering keeping my cable box, xbox one x, and nintendo switch plugged directly into the TV and only plugging my 4k blu ray player directly to the sound bar. It is my understanding that the Q80 soundbar cannot transfer freesync to the TV and the TV cannot transfer Atmos to the soundbar...lose/lose situation there. Will I be able to keep my existing HDMI4 picture settings that I have now for my 4k bluray player if I instead plug it directly to my soundbar and then soundbar into HDMI4/ARC on TV?
post #1750 of 1858 Old 04-24-2020, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick268 View Post

I currently own a 2019 Samsung Q80 TV and looking to buy the matching Q80 soundbar.

I currently have 4 devices plugged into my TV HDMI ports- cable box, xbox one x, nintendo switch, 4k blu ray player.

If I want to hookup my soundbar to my TV by ARC (which is the 4th HDMI input on my TV), I would then have to plug at least one of my devices directly into my sound bar.

My question is; I currently have custom picture settings on my TV for each HDMI source. How does this work if you plug two devices directly into the soundbar and let the soundbar transfer the video to your TV by ARC? Can you still have separate video settings for these devices?

I'm considering keeping my cable box, xbox one x, and nintendo switch plugged directly into the TV and only plugging my 4k blu ray player directly to the sound bar. It is my understanding that the Q80 soundbar cannot transfer freesync to the TV and the TV cannot transfer Atmos to the soundbar...lose/lose situation there. Will I be able to keep my existing HDMI4 picture settings that I have now for my 4k bluray player if I instead plug it directly to my soundbar and then soundbar into HDMI4/ARC on TV?
Whatever custom settings you have on HDMI 4 will still be there when you plug in the soundbar, the settings are HDMI specific and don't care what is plugged in to that port.

Samsung 75Q9FN
Samsung HW-N950
Samsung UBD-M9500

Samsung 55Q80R - Bedroom
post #1751 of 1858 Old 04-24-2020, 06:08 AM

I understand that but this sound bar has 2 HDMI inputs. What if I want to plug my Xbox one x and 4K Blu-ray player directly into the sound bar and then the sound bar into hdmi4 on my tv

Will I be able to have two separate picture settings saved for these devices? My issue is, the Q80 tv cannot passthrough atmos audios
post #1752 of 1858 Old 04-24-2020, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7616 Post(s)
Liked: 7683
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpearlberg View Post
Here it is.
Quote:
Sorry to hear this. If there is anything good about a bunch of pixels being dead in one spot no one is going top fight you on a replacement. 1 dead pixel, that's another story.
joe221 likes this.
post #1753 of 1858 Old 04-24-2020, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Liviero View Post
Hi everyone. I am Italian, therefore I apologize in advance for my not perfect English 😅

I have two question. I recently bought the Samsung Q80R, and I connected it to the PS4 Pro. I wanted to buy an HDMI 2.1 cable, so as to replace the one found inside the console box (without brand). I am aware that both the TV and the PS4 Pro do not have the 2.1 standard, but only the 2.0 one, but do you think any improvements could be noticed?

I'm talking about image quality, color depth and other things. Have any of you purchased a 2.1 cable and noticed any improvements over 2.0? Sorry for the question, but not much is said about it, and many argue that there are small improvements (even on 2.0 devices).

Second thing. Together with the TV, I bought the Samsung HW-Q70R soundbar, and unfortunately via ARC and setting Dolby or DTS 5.1 there is an audio delay. (this unfortunately happens to everyone with this soundbar, and also with the superior model).

If I buy an HDMI 2.1 cable also for ARC (therefore from soundbar to TV), instead of the 2.0 one of the package, could it reduce the delay?

Thank you all in advance.
The HDMI cable shouldn't make a difference. Since it is a digital signal, it either works or it doesn't. Going to the newest and most expensive will just be a waste of money.
joe221 and UnfoldingSquid like this.

Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
post #1754 of 1858 Old 04-25-2020, 05:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I understand that but this sound bar has 2 HDMI inputs. What if I want to plug my Xbox one x and 4K Blu-ray player directly into the sound bar and then the sound bar into hdmi4 on my tv

Will I be able to have two separate picture settings saved for these devices? My issue is, the Q80 tv cannot passthrough atmos audios
No it will be one setting for each device in the soundbar, like I said it's port specific for that setting. For the Xbox you could manually turn on Game Mode, which has its own settings, but the Xbox won't be able to do Freesync plugged into the soundbar (so you have to choose between Atmos sound or Freesync). Honestly I don't like that the Xbox upconverts everything to fake Atmos when Atmos is enabled in the settings, so for my soundbar I have my 4k bluray player and my Apple TV plugged in directly and I use Freesync for my Xbox.

Samsung 75Q9FN
Samsung HW-N950
Samsung UBD-M9500

Samsung 55Q80R - Bedroom
post #1755 of 1858 Old 04-25-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfoldingSquid View Post
No it will be one setting for each device in the soundbar, like I said it's port specific for that setting. For the Xbox you could manually turn on Game Mode, which has its own settings, but the Xbox won't be able to do Freesync plugged into the soundbar (so you have to choose between Atmos sound or Freesync). Honestly I don't like that the Xbox upconverts everything to fake Atmos when Atmos is enabled in the settings, so for my soundbar I have my 4k bluray player and my Apple TV plugged in directly and I use Freesync for my Xbox.
Got it thanks

So do you have the audio from your Xbox getting passed through your tv to your sound bar by ARC or optical audio? What format is the sound and how’s the quality?
post #1756 of 1858 Old 04-27-2020, 04:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Got it thanks

So do you have the audio from your Xbox getting passed through your tv to your sound bar by ARC or optical audio? What format is the sound and how’s the quality?
For the apps that support Atmos, such as Netflix, Amazon and Vudu, you want to connect the soundbar with HDMI, optical can't carry an Atmos signal. Arc will give you 5.1 sound on the Xbox, which sounds good. I have heard the Xbox with Atmos and it did sound a little better but I never heard any Atmos height on the 2 games I tried out, and as I said before it upmixes everything to Atmos (as far as the soundbar is concerned Atmos is always on).

Any further questions on Xbox or Atmos just send me a DM, we're getting a bit off topic in this thread.

Samsung 75Q9FN
Samsung HW-N950
Samsung UBD-M9500

Samsung 55Q80R - Bedroom
post #1757 of 1858 Old 04-28-2020, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just purchased a Q80R can someone tell me what the latest firmware version is?
post #1758 of 1858 Old 04-28-2020, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhall2018 View Post
Just purchased a Q80R can someone tell me what the latest firmware version is?
Just checked, mine is 1356.
post #1759 of 1858 Old 04-28-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcx4610 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildgator25 View Post
No such material on my Q80. Logo, yes; material above, no.

Can you check my picture here.:

Yours doesn't have this line? Someone else replied in this thread saying theirs had it. I'm hoping we aren't dealing with an A stock/B stock situation already.
I know this is old however I just bought the Q80R yesterday and contacted customer support before I tried peeling it off. Sent picture and they came back as it could be removed. Said do it gently. Used a piece of paper to lift the end. Turns out it must be part of the screen but it did have a protective peel away film on top of it.
post #1760 of 1858 Old 04-28-2020, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Is this model sold out everywhere?
post #1761 of 1858 Old 04-28-2020, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfoldingSquid View Post
For the apps that support Atmos, such as Netflix, Amazon and Vudu, you want to connect the soundbar with HDMI, optical can't carry an Atmos signal. Arc will give you 5.1 sound on the Xbox, which sounds good. I have heard the Xbox with Atmos and it did sound a little better but I never heard any Atmos height on the 2 games I tried out, and as I said before it upmixes everything to Atmos (as far as the soundbar is concerned Atmos is always on).

Any further questions on Xbox or Atmos just send me a DM, we're getting a bit off topic in this thread.
Quote:

Just an FYI with the soundbar...you will more than likely need to plug your cable box into it directly or you will have sound sync problems. Also, it has problems switching back to the cable box when coming from a different source.
post #1762 of 1858 Old 04-28-2020, 11:24 PM
Advanced Member

Not sure if this goes in the Xbox area but anyway. I have a new q80 that won't allow 4k on my Xbox 1 X. In the Xbox 4k details, everything is essentially saying it's off. If I try to select 4k res under video modes it says either my Tv isnt setup for 4k or the screen goes blank, I get the spinning dial, then back to the screen that allows you to select 4k. I have everything else selected including hdr but the details say it won't display hdr. I have tried multiple ports, multiple hdmi cords, I have all 4 ports selected in input signal plus. I have tried each color depth setting. I have watched everything in every video and forum and tried them all. Ideas cuz I'm at a huge loss.
post #1763 of 1858 Old 04-28-2020, 11:59 PM
Advanced Member

Update. I went for broke and did a factory reboot on my console and now it works...sort of. When selected in 4k, whenever I load a game it just glitches out. Rarely does it display the game. Normally it just goes to the TV input select screen and says "Xbox no signal" but sometimes glitches on and off the Xbox signal to the game. I have scratchy noises in the audio when it does come back on for the second or 2 when it does. If I reboot it's fine till I select a game. This is driving me nuts!
post #1764 of 1858 Old 04-29-2020, 12:28 AM
Advanced Member

Update again. I have it figured out. The combination of the factory reboot and turning OFF YCC 4:2:2 fixed it.
post #1765 of 1858 Old 04-29-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagsgt View Post
Is this model sold out everywhere?
I had to drive a few miles to a BB to pick up mine. Last one they had. Worried it was going to be open box or beat up but was pleasantly surprised and happy when I plugged it in. No issues. I think they still had it on the Samsung website for sale. My 55” Q80R was more expensive then the new Q80T but I jumped on it when I read Samsung was pushing 8k this year and other sets didn’t line up with prior year TVs of the same model #. I had a x900F but my son got excited and threw a wooden block across the room and cracked the screen less than 6 months after buying in when it first came out. Ordered a screen protector so it won’t be going on the wall until then. Hopefully it doesn’t kill the picture but better safe then sorry.
post #1766 of 1858 Old 05-03-2020, 05:11 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I think this question is obvious but is the "ripples" at the top and bottom of the TV normal? Anyone else had this issue with their Q80R?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	2720230   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image (1).jpg
Views:	150
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	2720232   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image (2).jpg
Views:	132
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	2720234  
post #1767 of 1858 Old 05-03-2020, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strunza2 View Post
I think this question is obvious but is the "ripples" at the top and bottom of the TV normal? Anyone else had this issue with their Q80R?

Not unusual to have these Samsung with some dimmer edges but that seems like a bummer, B stock. Worst I've seen, but is it visible straight on?
post #1768 of 1858 Old 05-03-2020, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

The DSE (Dirty Screen Effect) plagues all LCD TV's, some better some worse. It happens to all brands and models. They usually refer to this as a panel lottery. You either get lucky and get a good one or unlucky and get one with DSE or excessive clouding. Once you see it you can't un-see it. I would return it if it bothers you and see if the next TV is better. Good Luck!
post #1769 of 1858 Old 05-03-2020, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Yes, I can see it straight on. I’ve tried to see if was a backlighting issue but nothing fixes it. I just bought it and have the manufacturer warranty along with a 2 year Best Buy warranty. TV is beautiful but the dimmed edges are just not acceptable. I bought The 75” open box for $1495 so do not want to return as I cannot get this deal any longer . If they replace the panel Under the Best Buy warranty that will fix it right?
post #1770 of 1858 Old 05-03-2020, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Yes, I can see it straight on. I’ve tried to see if was a backlighting issue but nothing fixes it. I just bought it and have the manufacturer warranty along with a 2 year Best Buy warranty. TV is beautiful but the dimmed edges are just not acceptable. I bought The 75” open box for $1495 so do not want to return as I cannot get this deal any longer . If they replace the panel Under the Best Buy warranty that will fix it right?
I would call BB and try. The previous owner may have returned it for the same issue? I doubt they will replace with a new one since you purchased a used one, that's why you were given a huge discount. You might be better off getting your money back and start all over. The 2020 models just came out and may be they can give you a deal on a new model?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page