2019 Samsung Q80R Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 62 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 509Likes

post #1831 of 1885 Old 06-20-2020, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is there a setting on cable box itself?

Or you know how when you first connect a device to the tv it detects it and sets up to work with the remote. What if you select manual?

Last edited by Mhall2018; 06-20-2020 at 05:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1832 of 1885 Old 06-20-2020, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhall2018 View Post
Is there a setting on cable box itself?

Or you know how when you first connect a device to the tv it detects it and sets up to work with the remote. What if you select manual?
Thank you for the response. No settings within the box itself.

What you suggested I thought about doing. I can’t seem to figure out how to remove the cable box saved in the tv setting. Currently shows spectrum (my provider) and it seems to do that automatically when I unplug and plug the hdmi up.
post #1833 of 1885 Old 06-21-2020, 04:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 174
I know that from using a Harmony remote that there is a Power on, Power off, and Power toggle discreet codes for the TV so it's possible they use one of the same codes. I'm pretty sure the TV remote is bluetooth and the Arris is IR so you must be using the Arris remote? Or maybe the TV remote still transmits IR, info is vague so no idea. To isolate if it's the remote, cover the IR on the cable box since it will probably be easy to find, and see if you experience the same thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1834 of 1885 Old 06-21-2020, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by superakcraig View Post
Thank you for the response. No settings within the box itself.

What you suggested I thought about doing. I can’️t seem to figure out how to remove the cable box saved in the tv setting. Currently shows spectrum (my provider) and it seems to do that automatically when I unplug and plug the hdmi up.
What if you just switch the HDMI input it’s plugged into? I thought there was a way to clear inputs but I can’t seem to find it. I swear I came across it messing with the tv when I first got it.

**Found it. If you press home button then go to sources. Highlight the source that is the cable box and press the up button. There is a couple options that show up including universal remote, anynet.**

Last edited by Mhall2018; 06-21-2020 at 07:58 AM.
post #1835 of 1885 Old 06-21-2020, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djc11369 View Post
I know that from using a Harmony remote that there is a Power on, Power off, and Power toggle discreet codes for the TV so it's possible they use one of the same codes. I'm pretty sure the TV remote is bluetooth and the Arris is IR so you must be using the Arris remote? Or maybe the TV remote still transmits IR, info is vague so no idea. To isolate if it's the remote, cover the IR on the cable box since it will probably be easy to find, and see if you experience the same thing.
Funny because I am using a harmony remote, BUT I can confirm this happens if I just turn the tv on using the Samsung remote removing the harmony from the equation.

Last edited by superakcraig; 06-21-2020 at 08:00 AM.
post #1836 of 1885 Old 06-21-2020, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by superakcraig View Post
Funny because I am using a harmony remote, BUT I can confirm this happens if I just turn the tv on using the Samsung remote removing the harmony from the equation.

It would still be worthwhile to cover the IR sensor on the Arris to figure out if it's remote code related or something in the settings for one of them. I'm not sure which Harmony you have but if you have one with a screen like the Elite, and the above test told you it was remote related, then go to devices for the TV and try the Power on and the Power toggle to see if you get the same results for both.
post #1837 of 1885 Old 06-23-2020, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhall2018 View Post
What if you just switch the HDMI input it’s plugged into? I thought there was a way to clear inputs but I can’t seem to find it. I swear I came across it messing with the tv when I first got it.

**Found it. If you press home button then go to sources. Highlight the source that is the cable box and press the up button. There is a couple options that show up including universal remote, anynet.**

Well, i thought I had figured it out but was wrong. I was able to remove the "Spectrum" cable box setup. I disabled the AnyNet setting. It still turns the box off.

A couple of items of note, I can't just test one setting and then try something else. I have to wait for an undetermined amount of time before trying each setting. The box doesn't respond the same (staying on when it should) when I make adjustments in a short amount of time. It's only after some time (most of the time over night), is when the box will turn off after turning on the TV.

Also, how or why would it still control the box if I have the universal remote removed and the CEC settings disabled when just using the TV remote? Makes no sense to me.
post #1838 of 1885 Old 06-23-2020, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked: 7714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Barros View Post
Well I ended up with aC9 which is amazing. But there are issues with eARC between the c9 and 4400
That goes for most brands not just LG and Dennon.....
post #1839 of 1885 Old 06-26-2020, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sorry, couldn’t find a relevant thread to my specific problem so posted here.

ARC problems with Sony HT-Z9F soundbar and Samsung Q80R Qled TV

Hello,

My soundbar is connected to my tv on arc port. The soundbar loses the connection to tv after a power outage. Once the power comes back on the TV detects the soundbar but no sound comes through it (can’t see the “receiver” option in Settings-Sound output). After switching off both tv and soundbar and removing the hdmi cables for 10 mins (reset) everything starts working fine. Since there is some electrical work going in my neighbourhood the power outage is frequent. The soundbar loses the connection everytime after a power outage and i have to perform the reset thing everytime, which sometimes works and sometimes takes a couple of try’s to get connected. I am not sure if the problem is with tv or soundbar.

Is anyone facing a similar problem.

Thanks.

Last edited by krishna poojary; 06-27-2020 at 03:25 AM.
post #1840 of 1885 Old 06-27-2020, 03:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by krishna poojary View Post
Sorry, couldn’t find a relevant thread to my specific problem so posted here.

ARC problems with Sony ZF9 soundbar and Samsung Q80R Qled TV

Hello,

My soundbar is connected to my tv on arc port. The soundbar loses the connection to tv after a power outage. Once the power comes back on the TV detects the soundbar but no sound comes through it (can’t see the “receiver” option in Settings-Sound output). After switching off both tv and soundbar and removing the hdmi cables for 10 mins (reset) everything starts working fine. Since there is some electrical work going in my neighbourhood the power outage is frequent. The soundbar loses the connection everytime after a power outage and i have to perform the reset thing everytime, which sometimes works and sometimes takes a couple of try’s to get connected. I am not sure if the problem is with tv or soundbar.

Is anyone facing a similar problem.

Thanks.
It doesn't sound normal but your situation isn't normal. Have you thought of getting a backup power supply? I have one for both my TVs and one for my computer, power is dirty in the best situations and you are hardly in ideal circumstances. When I first purchased my 75" Q9FN a friend of mine put it in a way that resonated with me. "You spent real money on that TV, you're a fool if you don't protect it with a battery backup."

This is what I use x3
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Samsung 75Q9FN
Samsung HW-N950
Samsung UBD-M9500

Samsung 55Q80R - Bedroom
post #1841 of 1885 Old 06-27-2020, 03:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Great advice. I have thought about it, but the frequent power outage is a temporary thing. Will consider it though. Still would like to know why it happens and a way around it.

Thanks.
post #1842 of 1885 Old 06-29-2020, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm about to pull the plug in one Q80R 82". Is it worth buying it if it cost just 200 less than the new Q80T 85"? Even if it has no eARC? Please help.

Last edited by chiquito3; 06-29-2020 at 06:07 PM.
post #1843 of 1885 Old 06-30-2020, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiquito3 View Post
I'm about to pull the plug in one Q80R 82". Is it worth buying it if it cost just 200 less than the new Q80T 85"? Even if it has no eARC? Please help.
Yes. The Q80R is equivalent to the Q90T. Sammy basically did the old product number switch. So if you compare the Q80R to the Q90T, the price different will be much more than $200 I'm guessing. Plus, Q80R is supposed to get eARC, or at least that's the rumor. I would pull the trigger if it was me. The Q80R is a superb TV.
chiquito3 likes this.
post #1844 of 1885 Old 06-30-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoh View Post
Yes. The Q80R is equivalent to the Q90T. Sammy basically did the old product number switch. So if you compare the Q80R to the Q90T, the price different will be much more than $200 I'm guessing. Plus, Q80R is supposed to get eARC, or at least that's the rumor. I would pull the trigger if it was me. The Q80R is a superb TV.
Thanks for your answer. I guess I'm feeling some guilt for the excessive expense and need some words to comfort me.
I do hope it gets the eARC update.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #1845 of 1885 Old 06-30-2020, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Thanks for your answer. I guess I'm feeling some guilt for the excessive expense and need some words to comfort me.
I do hope it gets the eARC update.

Latest rumor from the Sammy forums is that our series will get eARC in mid-July. It was delayed due to COVID. The Q80 soundbar line got the eARC in May so it *should* be around the corner. Take that for what it's worth.
chiquito3 likes this.
post #1846 of 1885 Old 06-30-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoh View Post
Latest rumor from the Sammy forums is that our series will get eARC in mid-July. It was delayed due to COVID. The Q80 soundbar line got the eARC in May so it *should* be around the corner. Take that for what it's worth.
I'm crossing my fingers! Just waiting for my unit to arrive with no problems.

post #1847 of 1885 Old 06-30-2020, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I'm a little late to the party but that's how it goes sometimes.

I am a very happy QN75Q80R owner. It replaced a 70 inch Sony XBR850 that was suffering some edgelit LED failures that resulted in some severe light bloom across at least 1/3 of the screen. This happened just a month before my extended warranty was due to expire. Whew!

I did my research and, after a 2-week wait, the warranty company sent me a check. Between the amount of that check and some haggling with the store, the warranty payout covered the TV, a new extended warranty, delivery of the Q80R and disposal of the old Sony.

I initially used some of the settings posted here when I setup the TV then tweaked them a bit to suit my specific needs and room environment. I did learn a couple of things along the way:

1. A direct connection between your video source and TV makes for much better picture.

2. With proper setup of your AVR's audio section the digital audio output from the TV works great.

Of course, these are not necessarily AVR specific brand issues but for my McIntosh MX151 pre-amp/processor - which won't process 4K via HDMI - those configurations work best.

I am a very happy Q80R owner.

chiquito3 and Cam1977 like this.

Michael
Aerial Acoustic 8s|McIntosh D100 MC501s MR85 MX151|Emotiva|Samsung QLED 4K|RPI|Roon
post #1848 of 1885 Old 06-30-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaki View Post
I'm a little late to the party but that's how it goes sometimes.

I am a very happy QN75Q80R owner. It replaced a 70 inch Sony XBR850 that was suffering some edgelit LED failures that resulted in some severe light bloom across at least 1/3 of the screen. This happened just a month before my extended warranty was due to expire. Whew!

I did my research and, after a 2-week wait, the warranty company sent me a check. Between the amount of that check and some haggling with the store, the warranty payout covered the TV, a new extended warranty, delivery of the Q80R and disposal of the old Sony.

I initially used some of the settings posted here when I setup the TV then tweaked them a bit to suit my specific needs and room environment. I did learn a couple of things along the way:

1. A direct connection between your video source and TV makes for much better picture.

2. With proper setup of your AVR's audio section the digital audio output from the TV works great.

Of course, these are not necessarily AVR specific brand issues but for my McIntosh MX151 pre-amp/processor - which won't process 4K via HDMI - those configurations work best.

I am a very happy Q80R owner.

May I ask which speakers are those in the photo?

post #1849 of 1885 Old 06-30-2020, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
May I ask which speakers are those in the photo?
Aerial Acoustics Model 8
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AA 8B 01 (2).jpg
Views:	19
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	2751324   Click image for larger version

Name:	AA 8B 04 (2).jpg
Views:	21
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	2751326   Click image for larger version

Name:	AA 8B 05.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	2751328  
chiquito3 and Cam1977 like this.

Michael
Aerial Acoustic 8s|McIntosh D100 MC501s MR85 MX151|Emotiva|Samsung QLED 4K|RPI|Roon
post #1850 of 1885 Old 06-30-2020, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaki View Post
Aerial Acoustics Model 8
Wow, they look amazing! Your equipment is also impressive.

post #1851 of 1885 Old 07-01-2020, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
While we all wait to see if Samsung ever delivers us an eArc upgrade for our Q80Rs, I wanted to point out a new solution from HDFury, the Arcana (can't post a link, as I'm new to the forum, but you can Google quite easily). The device promises to allow full eArc passthrough functionality, which should effectively solve lip-sync issues and allow Atmos passthrough for external devices. As someone who recently purchased the Sonos Arc, I'm very excited about fixing the terrible lip sync issues from my cable box and hearing Atmos from my Blu-rays.

The product is currently in the pre-order phase, shipping in early October. If they pass 800 pre-orders, they are also committing to having their Dev Team work on developing CEC functionality in the device. As of this writing, they're at about 430 pre-orders.

Personally hoping Samsung delivers on the mid-July eArc update and I can just sell the Arcana, but viewing this as an insurance policy just in case.
post #1852 of 1885 Old 07-04-2020, 02:51 AM

I'm looking for a good, not expensive, tilting wallmount for my Q80R 82". It would be mounted on concrete wall. Please suggest one from Amazon that worked for you. Remember I have the 82".
I'm not considering articulating ones, not because I do not like them, but because for a tv of that size the all tend to wobble too much when extended.
So if you had a nice experience with an articulated mount for the 82 size please suggest it.

Last edited by chiquito3; 07-04-2020 at 02:58 AM.
post #1853 of 1885 Old 07-04-2020, 05:16 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I'm looking for a good, not expensive, tilting wallmount for my Q80R 82". It would be mounted on concrete wall. Please suggest one from Amazon that worked for you. Remember I have the 82".
I'm not considering articulating ones, not because I do not like them, but because for a tv of that size the all tend to wobble too much when extended.
So if you had a nice experience with an articulated mount for the 82 size please suggest it.

I have the 75 and I used Kanto. Basic tilt function and leveling. Great mount.
post #1854 of 1885 Old 07-04-2020, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHans View Post
I have the 75 and I used Kanto. Basic tilt function and leveling. Great mount.
Please list model if possible.

post #1855 of 1885 Old 07-04-2020, 05:43 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Please list model if possible.

Kanto PT300. Got it directly from Samsung because I had points to use there. Up to 90inch TV.
chiquito3 likes this.
post #1856 of 1885 Old 07-04-2020, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHans View Post
Kanto PT300. Got it directly from Samsung because I had points to use there. Up to 90inch TV.
Can the tilt mechanism be gradually controlled or is just tilted or straight?

post #1857 of 1885 Old 07-04-2020, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anybody had issues with HDR content using PC as a source?

Originally it was working without issue, as soon as I was full screen using HDR content it would switch to HDR mode. However after I experimenting with settings (1440p 120Hz, various bit depth and colour space options) it doesn't do it any more. I've completed a factory reset of the TV and re-installed my graphics drivers on PC, doesn't work.

If I open files directly from my PC using DLNA media sharing the HDR stuff works fine, not my preferred solution but it does work. I have all the correct 'external sources' stuff turned on.

Hoping this isn't a defect.
post #1858 of 1885 Old 07-04-2020, 03:11 PM

Has anyone with Q80R 82" used this Amazon wall mount and is very happy with it?

https://www.amazon.com/Mounting-Drea...+wallmo&sr=8-3

post #1859 of 1885 Old 07-05-2020, 05:17 PM

My Q80r 82" is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Please suggest the best video settings for using a Zidoo Z9S and a Roku 4K?
Does anyone have calibration settings that made a difference?
I'm looking to make colors look as natural as possible like with Sony TVs.

Last edited by chiquito3; 07-05-2020 at 06:12 PM.
post #1860 of 1885 Old 07-05-2020, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by spambacon View Post
Does nobody have any idea what is causing my problem above?

I have exchanged my tv at the local dealer and the problem is a little bit better but still no uniform black bars in letterbox, unlike in cinemascope, also the dimming generally to the sides of the tv is terrible, where the dimming to the top and bottom is near perfect. When there is bright content in the middle of the screen, the blooming seems to extend to the sides of the screen. Is this possible or am i going crazy?

It seems that there is local dimming working on to the sides, unlike like i described it above, but the LEDs turn off much later and much less agressive than the LEDs above and beyond, causing almost elliptical halo effects over the width of the entire display.
You are not crazy. That's how it works. The same pattern you can see in q70r too. Samsung tries to avoid blooming in such way. This effect should be less visible only in models with much more amount of local dimming zones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page