2019 Samsung Q80R Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 237Likes

post #181 of 1029 Old 03-15-2019, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubs418 View Post
Argggg I want to jump on the Q80 fun bandwagon but I sit so damn far away. 11.5' away is just too far for a 65".

Same exact situation for me. Proper size is the #1 most important specification of a TV. It's absolutely great that 80"+ TVs are becoming more and more common and less and less expensive. It looks like *most* of the Samsung models will be available in 82" this year. Sometimes the big sets come out later. I was very surprised when a 82" version of the Q8FN came out last year in August with absolutely no announcement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1029 Old 03-15-2019, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_rangeBrew View Post
Same exact situation for me. Proper size is the #1 most important specification of a TV. It's absolutely great that 80"+ TVs are becoming more and more common and less and less expensive. It looks like *most* of the Samsung models will be available in 82" this year. Sometimes the big sets come out later. I was very surprised when a 82" version of the Q8FN came out last year in August with absolutely no announcement.
75" is my max, 80+ will eat up my living room too much.
post #183 of 1029 Old 03-15-2019, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Quoted: 12739 Post(s)
Liked: 12047
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_rangeBrew View Post

Actually the 82Q8FN was known to be coming for most of the year. There was just no release date given when Samsung passed the information to some press people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 1029 Old 03-15-2019, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Anyone have any light bleed in the lower left or right corner? I appear to have some I noticed only in the loading screen while I play anthem. During gameplay or content showing darkness, it appears to not be there.
post #185 of 1029 Old 03-15-2019, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Just got mine now and setting up!

1. Box is big and it feels good seeing the Q80 as I have never had a TV that recent.

2. To be clear some of the pics above going over that bottom edge is additional clear protective tape . At least on my set it was hard to get off but once you get one of the edges up it comes off in a single clean unit. That matched up to the photos above for me so is it possible people are seeing that?

3. My connections are going to be the following:

- HDMI (TV) to FIOS STB
- HDMI 4 - ARC to Receiver ARC
- HDMI 3 or possible directly Receiver is where I'll hook up my DVD

4. Software upgrade is avail for this unit

5. Setup is a breeze and it pairs to my Samsung Galaxy phone very easily.

Anyone have a good settings config yet?
post #186 of 1029 Old 03-15-2019, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwprof View Post
Just got mine now and setting up!

1. Box is big and it feels good seeing the Q80 as I have never had a TV that recent.

2. To be clear some of the pics above going over that bottom edge is additional clear protective tape . At least on my set it was hard to get off but once you get one of the edges up it comes off in a single clean unit. That matched up to the photos above for me so is it possible people are seeing that?

3. My connections are going to be the following:

- HDMI (TV) to FIOS STB
- HDMI 4 - ARC to Receiver ARC
- HDMI 3 or possible directly Receiver is where I'll hook up my DVD

4. Software upgrade is avail for this unit

5. Setup is a breeze and it pairs to my Samsung Galaxy phone very easily.

Anyone have a good settings config yet?
What firmware version are you on? I'm on 1052 and there is no update available.
post #187 of 1029 Old 03-15-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruc3L3r0y View Post
What firmware version are you on? I'm on 1052 and there is no update available.

I'm now on 1052 also.
I should have taken a pic but when I first fired it up I was on an earlier version 103x something and it patched me to the 1052.

First thing I notice that seems to be a change is that there may be less apps?
On the Q6 I had the WWE (yes wrestling is fake) installed but it's not finding it on the Q8 even when I search for the app to install.

Out of the box the pic is amazing but def needs tweaking.
post #188 of 1029 Old 03-15-2019, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Upgrade from KS8000

any new owners upgrade from a KS8000/8500? Thinking about getting this in the 75"
I'm so used to the OCB though and even though all my wires are in the wall, the OCB is so easy to have all the connections going to.
But if anyone new owner had the KS, is the pic far superior? Also any PS4pro gaming reviews on this thing yet? I play Destiny2 a bunch.

thanks,

ANEW
post #189 of 1029 Old 03-15-2019, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Gaming Mode Pictures

This was a request in PM but figured I would share with all of you in case you have the same questions.

I played The Martian 4k UHD with HDR through Movies Anywhere on the FireStick 4K.

1st Picture is with Standard HDR, Warm2 Temp

2nd Picture is with Game Mode, Standard Temp

3rd Picture is with Game Mode, Warm2 Temp

So, as you can see there is some immediate "greying" of the Black but I believe it can be minimized quite a bit with proper calibration. Warm2 took a lot of the grey out.

I also attached a picture of my Q80 mounted above the fireplace. The picture is outstanding with the proper content being displayed. Camera pictures do not do this TV justice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Standard-Warm2.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	533.0 KB
ID:	2539604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Game Mode - Standard Temp.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	641.3 KB
ID:	2539606   Click image for larger version

Name:	Game Mode - Warm2.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	690.2 KB
ID:	2539608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mounted Q80.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	747.9 KB
ID:	2539610  
ray0414, Antarius and samovies10 like this.
post #190 of 1029 Old 03-15-2019, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANEWMadrid View Post
any new owners upgrade from a KS8000/8500?

ANEW

I’m upgrading from the KS8000 - will let you know how the improvement is once I get the Q80 delivered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANEWMadrid likes this.
post #191 of 1029 Old 03-15-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildgator25 View Post
This was a request in PM but figured I would share with all of you in case you have the same questions.

I played The Martian 4k UHD with HDR through Movies Anywhere on the FireStick 4K.

So, as you can see there is some immediate "greying" of the Black but I believe it can be minimized quite a bit with proper calibration. Warm2 took a lot of the grey out.

I also attached a picture of my Q80 mounted above the fireplace. The picture is outstanding with the proper content being displayed. Camera pictures do not do this TV justice.

Looking good!!!

Willing to share your settings to this point?
I'm focusing on finishing wiring and properly measuring out my speakers then I will start posting.

Until a better theory comes along I was going to base off of this which is the RTINGS settings for the Q8FN: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sa...-2018/settings
post #192 of 1029 Old 03-15-2019, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Since this is my first Smart TV I’m pretty clueless about how cable will work. Mine won’t be delivered until next Friday but wanted to be prepared so I ordered some previously recommended monoprice premium 4K cables. The guy at Xfinity said I should have gotten 4K 120Hz rather than the 60Hz cables. Agree or disagree?

Next, I grabbed a 4K cable box but same guy said I don’t need one since I can just connect the the Xfinity Streaming app that comes with the TV and stream cable that way and just use the TV’s remote to change the channel. Is that how y’all watch cable on these things?

And would upgrading my Ethernet cable from the existing blue one make any difference?
post #193 of 1029 Old 03-15-2019, 03:32 PM

Talking to Samsung live support now due to the WWE app not showing up for install.

Going off this list it should be there unless there is a specific reason that this model line doesnt have it, I know that the Q6 had it: https://www.digitbin.com/samsung-smart-tv-apps/
post #194 of 1029 Old 03-15-2019, 03:42 PM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6757 Post(s)
Liked: 6757
Quote:
Found the first shortcoming, off-angle vertical banding. It is quite severe at 30-45 degrees in SOME content, not ALL. Nowhere near as obvious straight on viewing, almost nonexistent.
Quote:
I wouldn't be put off by it. I had some very slight vertical banding on my ju7100 but not severe enough to press the issue with Samsung.
As you already know, most TV's will have banding to some degree, seems like it is not a dealer killer for you which is good.....
post #195 of 1029 Old 03-15-2019, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvhunter View Post
Since this is my first Smart TV I’m pretty clueless about how cable will work. Mine won’t be delivered until next Friday but wanted to be prepared so I ordered some previously recommended monoprice premium 4K cables. The guy at Xfinity said I should have gotten 4K 120Hz rather than the 60Hz cables. Agree or disagree?

Next, I grabbed a 4K cable box but same guy said I don’t need one since I can just connect the the Xfinity Streaming app that comes with the TV and stream cable that way and just use the TV’s remote to change the channel. Is that how y’all watch cable on these things?

And would upgrading my Ethernet cable from the existing blue one make any difference?
Is there even such a thing as 120Hz HDMI cables? You just need high throughput cables. I'm using the ultra slim 18Gbps Monoprice cables and they work great. Besides, I believe HDMI 2.0 only support [email protected]

I am keeping my FIOS STB for the DVR since I have multiple boxes throughout the house. I also just upgraded to Verizon's FIOS One TV boxes. Supposedly they are 4K capable even though there are no channels that broadcast in 4K. It's mostly for the few movies on demand that are in 4K and the new STBs upscale content to 4K.

As for the ethernet cables, take a look at the cable itself. If it says Cat 5e or Cat 6, then you do not need to upgrade.
post #196 of 1029 Old 03-15-2019, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman757 View Post
Anyone have any light bleed in the lower left or right corner? I appear to have some I noticed only in the loading screen while I play anthem. During gameplay or content showing darkness, it appears to not be there.
Can't say I have noticed any light bleeding. I game quite a bit and have not seen it.
post #197 of 1029 Old 03-15-2019, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
As you already know, most TV's will have banding to some degree, seems like it is not a dealer killer for you which is good.....
I actually received this set as a review from a group my wife is a member of. I paid $840 for it and I can definitely live with some issues. Plus, I get to review it to hopefully help Samsung improve.
post #198 of 1029 Old 03-15-2019, 04:22 PM

So the answer I got from Samsung Chat support on WWE and other apps that I had on the Q6 missing is "The Q80 is so new we have no compatibility list for it yet and your best bet is to check every few weeks."
post #199 of 1029 Old 03-15-2019, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Quote:

Is there even such a thing as 120Hz HDMI cables? You just need high throughput cables. I'm using the ultra slim 18Gbps Monoprice cables and they work great. Besides, I believe HDMI 2.0 only support [email protected]

I am keeping my FIOS STB for the DVR since I have multiple boxes throughout the house. I also just upgraded to Verizon's FIOS One TV boxes. Supposedly they are 4K capable even though there are no channels that broadcast in 4K. It's mostly for the few movies on demand that are in 4K and the new STBs upscale content to 4K.

As for the ethernet cables, take a look at the cable itself. If it says Cat 5e or Cat 6, then you do not need to upgrade.
ok sounds like I’m good with my HDMI cables and need to upgrade my ethernet cable.
post #200 of 1029 Old 03-15-2019, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
ok sounds like I’m good with my HDMI cables and need to upgrade my ethernet cable.
That depends on the type of router you have and whether it supports gigabit ethernet.
post #201 of 1029 Old 03-15-2019, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4902
Quote:

The stars on the third pic are far dimmer than on the 2nd pic (and maybe fewer of them as well). Would be great to see a pic of an OLED or plasma showing that same scene so we can get a sense of which pic is right...
post #202 of 1029 Old 03-15-2019, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Big thanks for posting these photos! Very useful information that no reviewers check for. Just one more question. Does photo #2 look same as what you actually see? It is definitely not as good as first photo, but it looks like it got overexposed to some degree.
wildgator25 likes this.
post #203 of 1029 Old 03-15-2019, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
Big thanks for posting these photos! Very useful information that no reviewers check for. Just one more question. Does photo #2 look same as what you actually see? It is definitely not as good as first photo, but it looks like it got overexposed to some degree.
It is not exactly that exaggerated but it is in line with the difference the photos show.
post #204 of 1029 Old 03-15-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:

I just purchased some Belkin Ultra HD High Speed HDMI cables.

I’m sure they are overkill but I figured I’d treat myself with the new TV lol. I have FiOS also with the Quantum set top box... which I don’t even think supports 4K.

post #205 of 1029 Old 03-15-2019, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
The stars on the third pic are far dimmer than on the 2nd pic (and maybe fewer of them as well). Would be great to see a pic of an OLED or plasma showing that same scene so we can get a sense of which pic is right...
This is from my LG OLED C7 on Movie Mode through Movies Anywhere on the AppleTV4K. I would have to do more finagling and take more pictures in Standard Mode on the OLED to try to compare apples to apples. Once again, camera photos do not do TVs justice as it's very difficult to compensate for the HDR image.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	OLED65.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	443.4 KB
ID:	2539700  
post #206 of 1029 Old 03-15-2019, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxn38 View Post
Quote:

I just purchased some Belkin Ultra HD High Speed HDMI cables.

I’m sure they are overkill but I figured I’d treat myself with the new TV lol. I have FiOS also with the Quantum set top box... which I don’t even think supports 4K.

If it's the Arris STBs then no they do not support 4K. You would need to upgrade to their TV One boxes. VZ says they're 4K ready. Mine are due to arrive tomorrow. Will let you know how they are.
post #207 of 1029 Old 03-15-2019, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabioC View Post
Would you mind posting a picture showing the vertical banding?
VERY difficult to see with a camera photo but here you go!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20% Grey.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	437.4 KB
ID:	2539720   Click image for larger version

Name:	40% Grey.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	371.8 KB
ID:	2539722  
Cuthalu and Antarius like this.
post #208 of 1029 Old 03-15-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
If it's the Arris STBs then no they do not support 4K. You would need to upgrade to their TV One boxes. VZ says they're 4K ready. Mine are due to arrive tomorrow. Will let you know how they are.

Ok thanks! I’d be curious to know if the picture quality improves. Yes, I currently have the Arris VMS1100.

post #209 of 1029 Old 03-15-2019, 08:30 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
One problem with Verizon's 4k STB (the VMS4100) is that it doesn't seem to support native pass-through. That is, if you set the output to 2160p/4k, ALL content will be upscaled to 4k by the STB rather than your new TV's fancy AI upscaler. The only native 4k content available with this box is some VOD and Netflix, the latter of which you can get through your Smart TV Netflix app.

If anyone has experience with this, or a solution, I'm listening...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
post #210 of 1029 Old 03-15-2019, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4902
Quote:
This is from my LG OLED C7 on Movie Mode through Movies Anywhere on the AppleTV4K. I would have to do more finagling and take more pictures in Standard Mode on the OLED to try to compare apples to apples. Once again, camera photos do not do TVs justice as it's very difficult to compensate for the HDR image.
Wow, thanks!

The space of picture #3 looked black compared to picture #2 , but compared to the OLED, not quite.

I'll be very interested in how these Samsung 2019 QLEDs measure up against the LG 2019 WOLEDs in this year's shootouts...

And I agree, pictures don't compare with eyeballs (viewing both screens side-by-side...).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays