2019 Samsung Q80R Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 247Likes

post #241 of 1099 Old 03-18-2019, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruc3L3r0y View Post
Would you be willing to share your settings? Do you use different settings for SDR and HDR content?
I am definitely a fan of sharing settings so that others can trial for their opinion on whether it appeals to their eyes. However, I'm giving the Q8 FlatPanels settings a Hard Pass as they are not on the same scale as the Q80.

I would wait for someone with proper software and colorimeter for a decent set of values to try or pay for your own calibration after a few hundred hours on the TV.

That being said, my honest opinion, the following looks pretty good to me. These are for SDR. Cannot properly set White Balance or Color Space without software and colorimeter:

Picture Mode: Standard
Fit to Screen: On
Backlight: 30
Brightness: -1
Contrast: 50
Sharpness: 13 (Yes, I like Sharper than normal)
Color: 25
Tint: 0
Digi Clean: Auto
Auto Motion: Off
Local Dimming: High
Contrast Enhancer: Off
Film Mode: Auto2
Color Tone: Warm2
Gamma: 2.2
Color Space: Native

For HDR:

Picture Mode: Standard HDR
Backlight: 50
Brightness: 0
Sharpness: 13
Contrast Enhancer: Low
Gamma ST.2084
ST.2084: 0

Last edited by wildgator25; 03-18-2019 at 04:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 1099 Old 03-18-2019, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildgator25 View Post
Quote:
Would you be willing to share your settings? Do you use different settings for SDR and HDR content?
I am definitely a fan of sharing settings so that others can trial for their opinion on whether it appeals to their eyes. However, I'm giving the Q8 FlatPanels settings a Hard Pass as they are not on the same scale as the Q80.

I would wait for someone with proper software and colorimeter for a decent set of values to try or pay for your own calibration after a few hundred hours on the TV.

That being said, my honest opinion, the following looks pretty good to me. These are for SDR. Cannot properly set White Balance or Color Space without software and colorimeter:

For HDR:

Gamma ST.2084
Thanks. Appreciate the sharing of your settings. My settings are pretty close to yours except I find the screen too bright with the backlight set so high. Mine is set to 20 and Contrast at 40.
post #243 of 1099 Old 03-18-2019, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio-jj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwprof View Post
Also as I am not sure if its been posted but here is the official Samsung page for the 2019 Q80R:

Lots of good info on it including manuals , firmware and specs.
The manual says Freesync is only supported at 1080p and 1440p. No more 4k Freesync support. How could this be, or why would they do this? The Q8FN supported 48-60fps Freesync at 4K. While it's a small range, it's still extremely useful for Xbox One X games that struggle to maintain 60fps.

This is really confusing and disheartening news. I may cancel my 55" order.
Samsung has always said they don’t support 4K freesync, including on last years models, but it worked. Rtings has a Q60 they are reviewing, they’ll say for sure whether they’ve taken it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 1099 Old 03-19-2019, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:

For HDR:

Gamma ST.2084
Any recommended settings for movie mode?
post #245 of 1099 Old 03-19-2019, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1180 Post(s)
Liked: 1101
Quote:
Apparently there is a firmware update. Turned on the TV just now and was asked to update to version 1060. Curious to know what changes were made. Going to see if I can find any info on the latest firmware update.
We don't even have much info on the tv other than "tv looks good, good color, black is black", you think we're gonna have info on this update? Lmao.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #246 of 1099 Old 03-19-2019, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Not even a readme in the firmware files with change control.. Boo.
post #247 of 1099 Old 03-19-2019, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1479 Post(s)
Liked: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvhunter View Post
Any recommended settings for movie mode?
Funny how all the reviewers tout the Movie mode while the owners here like Standard. My older "QLED" looks dim and somewhat washed out in the Movie mode and faces always looked odd colored. The Standard mode in my set had the whites too overwhelming, but the Natural mode looks great to me.
post #248 of 1099 Old 03-19-2019, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6792 Post(s)
Liked: 6795
Quote:
I actually received this set as a review from a group my wife is a member of. I paid $840 for it and I can definitely live with some issues. Plus, I get to review it to hopefully help Samsung improve.
Quote:
Friday. I've enjoyed the Panny plasma this one is replacing for over 10 years but felt it was time for an upgrade. Tricky for plasma owners because that tech handled some things really well, still better than most modern TVs. But that TV has always struggled during daytime viewing so a bright TV with what is purported to be very good viewing angles and maybe the best anti-reflection coating around, not to mention the whole smart TV infrastructure, has me pretty excited.
I am sure you will enjoy this set, there will be trade offs, but plasma's are no longer made
tvhunter likes this.
post #249 of 1099 Old 03-19-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
Funny how all the reviewers tout the Movie mode while the owners here like Standard. My older "QLED" looks dim and somewhat washed out in the Movie mode and faces always looked odd colored. The Standard mode in my set had the whites too overwhelming, but the Natural mode looks great to me.
The trustedreviews reviewer of the Q90 said this "The Movie mode delivers a much less bright and saturated image, but looks more balanced and delivers more shadow detail. It’s designed to look closer to the original mastering values of the SDR or HDR content you’re watching." But he prefers Standard mode because "Standard is my favourite, as it delivers a dynamic, bold image that fully exploits the TV’s extensive talents."

I settled on Standard mode with my plasma years ago because our family generally preferred the added brightness. But what is bright on a 10 year old plasma compared to this TV is probably night and day. I suspect I will end up using Standard mode as well. That same reviewer said to bump up brightness a bit to gain some of the shadow detail missing in that mode. I'm trying to map what has been shared here with that review but think I'll just have to see for myself when I get the TV.
post #250 of 1099 Old 03-20-2019, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got my Q80r delivered today. I haven't had a chance to play with it just yet, but I do have a question. I am coming from a Panny VT25. Why does the image look so washed out compared to my plasma using the same Directv feed? I've tried all picture modes, and the image just doesn't seem to hold a candle to my old plasma. Perhaps it is just a matter of playing with the picture settings?
ANEWMadrid likes this.
post #251 of 1099 Old 03-20-2019, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Webb View Post
Just got my Q80r delivered today. I haven't had a chance to play with it just yet, but I do have a question. I am coming from a Panny VT25. Why does the image look so washed out compared to my plasma using the same Directv feed? I've tried all picture modes, and the image just doesn't seem to hold a candle to my old plasma. Perhaps it is just a matter of playing with the picture settings?
It depends on a couple of factors. Do you have Directv's upgraded 4k equipment? Is your current equipment set to 1080p output? You have to remember the TV is upconverting 1080p to 4K resolution. I had the same issue but i am VZ FIOS. When I first got the TV, some HD channels would look worse than others. I had to upgrade to their 4K STBs which up converts to 2160p. It looks much better now evn tho it's not true 4K.
post #252 of 1099 Old 03-20-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
It depends on a couple of factors. Do you have Directv's upgraded 4k equipment? Is your current equipment set to 1080p output? You have to remember the TV is upconverting 1080p to 4K resolution. I had the same issue but i am VZ FIOS. When I first got the TV, some HD channels would look worse than others. I had to upgrade to their 4K STBs which up converts to 2160p. It looks much better now evn tho it's not true 4K.

I do not yet have the Directv 4k yet. I am referring to the same 1080i Directv signal that was feeding the plasma. The HD channels look washed out and much less detail than when viewed on my plamsa.
post #253 of 1099 Old 03-20-2019, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
I do not yet have the Directv 4k yet. I am referring to the same 1080i Directv signal that was feeding the plasma. The HD channels look washed out and much less detail than when viewed on my plamsa.
See if there is a native resolution option on the sat box and try that.
post #254 of 1099 Old 03-20-2019, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:

Can the current box output to 1080p instead of 1080i? The TV is upscaling the picture to 2160p whereas your older plasma was either converting the signal to 1080p or just passing thru the 1080i signal. I was in the same boat as you and did not really want to upgrade to the new boxes but I researched online for FIOS and 4K and many were commenting how much better the picture was once they upgraded so I bit the bullet and upgrades as well.
Nicholas Webb likes this.
post #255 of 1099 Old 03-20-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by js950 View Post

I'll look around when I get home later tonight. Could this just be a function of coming from a plasma to an led/lcd panel. Am I expecting too much for this new TV to match the image quality of my plasma when fed a DirecTV HD signal.
post #256 of 1099 Old 03-20-2019, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:

I'll look around when I get home later tonight. Could this just be a function of coming from a plasma to an led/lcd panel. Am I expecting too much for this new TV to match the image quality of my plasma when fed a DirecTV HD signal.
I doubt it. The picture looked great on my old Samsung TV. But when watching the same channels on the Q80, it was terrible. Unfortunately it's the overcompressed HD signal on a larger higher resolution screen. Depending on how overly compressed the signal is, it will never look as good. Some channels did look slightly better upconverted but most definitely did not. Maybe try watching some 1080p videos on Netflix or the YouTube app on the TV and see if it looks as washed out?
post #257 of 1099 Old 03-20-2019, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Quote:
Go to Settings/General

Turn Off Intelligent Mode.

Go to Settings/General/Eco Solution

Turn Off Ambient Light Detection and Motion Lighting

Brighten up your life
post #258 of 1099 Old 03-20-2019, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Clarity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxn38 View Post
I’m upgrading from the KS8000 - will let you know how the improvement is once I get the Q80 delivered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You get that puppy yet? I'm Itching to make a move. hahah.
post #259 of 1099 Old 03-20-2019, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Quoted: 12767 Post(s)
Liked: 12093
Quote:

Plasma is the king of cable TV, no way around it. 4k hdr through direct TV though will look great.

Try these settings for cable.

-Standard mode (AI upscaling works the most here)

-Color space Native

- digital clean view low or auto (AI upscaling it turned up all the way with this setting).
post #260 of 1099 Old 03-20-2019, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANEWMadrid View Post
You get that puppy yet? I'm Itching to make a move. hahah.

I’m confirmed for Tuesday! Waiting sucks lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #261 of 1099 Old 03-20-2019, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2454 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
I'm confused...

I thought you were supposed to set your cable box to output 1080i and NOT 1080p

Shopping List:
TV: LG C9/C10, or Samsung Q90R, or Sony ...
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820, or Pioneer Elite LX500, or Sony X800M
AVR/Pre-pro: Marantz 8805/7705 or 8012, or Yamaha 5200 or 3080
Speakers: GE Triton One.R, or ML ElectroMotion ESL X
post #262 of 1099 Old 03-20-2019, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

A bit off topic...but has anyone purchased or is thinking of purchasing an extended warranty from Squaretrade thru Costco? Is it worth it? Any hassles with filing a claim? Thanks.
post #263 of 1099 Old 03-20-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
A bit off topic...but has anyone purchased or is thinking of purchasing an extended warranty from Squaretrade thru Costco? Is it worth it? Any hassles with filing a claim? Thanks.

The only issue with those warranties is that that are capped (as in not unlimited claims through the life of the TV/warranty).
post #264 of 1099 Old 03-20-2019, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Any idea what the cap is?
post #265 of 1099 Old 03-20-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:

If you buy the $99 plan, the cap is the price you paid for the TV I believe. 1 or 2 panel replacements can use up most of the warranty, but it's better than nothing. Direct Samsung or geek squad I believe is unlimited, but they cost alot more.
post #266 of 1099 Old 03-20-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Quote:

No, you’re not expecting too much. If I encounter the same this thing is going back. Too much money for a substandard viewing experience.
post #267 of 1099 Old 03-20-2019, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
Quote:

If you buy the $99 plan, the cap is the price you paid for the TV I believe. 1 or 2 panel replacements can use up most of the warranty, but it's better than nothing. Direct Samsung or geek squad I believe is unlimited, but they cost alot more.
Thanks. $350 for Samsung's premium care vs $99 for the Squaretrade is a pretty big difference.
post #268 of 1099 Old 03-20-2019, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No, you’re not expecting too much. If I encounter the same this thing is going back. Too much money for a substandard viewing experience.
TBH...a 1080p TV displaying a native 1080p source signal will almost always look better than a 4K TV upconverting that same 1080p source signal. You shouldn't expect miracles with 4K upconversion.
post #269 of 1099 Old 03-20-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
I'm confused...

I thought you were supposed to set your cable box to output 1080i and NOT 1080p
DirecTV mostly does 1080i I believe with still some 720p holdout channels, as that is what the broadcasts are sent to them as. I pass those through and let the avr or tv do any upscaling.
post #270 of 1099 Old 03-20-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

TBH...a 1080p TV displaying a native 1080p source signal will almost always look better than a 4K TV upconverting that same 1080p source signal. You shouldn't expect miracles with 4K upconversion.
I think he’s talking about 1080i. HD cable is either 720p or 1080i depending on the station. I replaced my old box with a 4K capable box. Not sure what that does for me but maybe less compressed? I’ll find out Friday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page