2019 Samsung Q900 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 14 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 165Likes

post #391 of 477 Old 06-08-2019, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post
Ordered an 82 from Value Electronics this afternoon, after viewing one at Best Buy the other day--they let me plug in a thumb drive with some of my photographs on it. I must say, it makes for a great slide show.

Since this is a "No price talk" thread, and VE asked me not to mention specific price, I will only say that the home of the shootout gave me a great deal. I paid a little extra for them to burn in the panel and check it for any defects, and a full professional calibration, shipped to New Mexico tax-free, and no charge for shipping, either. All for one very satisfying low price.

I bought my current set the same way 4-5 years ago, and will never play the panel lottery again. Nice to know my set will arrive ready to perform at its best.

Now I just have to wait a few weeks....

Hats off to Value Electronics! .
I have six tvs and a projector in the house all from Value Electronics. I have been dealing with them for years and they are first class in every way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 477 Old 06-08-2019, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6395 Post(s)
Liked: 6394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99 View Post
With the Sony 85" 8K Z9G releasing shortly with an MSRP of $13K, I suspect the MSRP of the 85Q900 will match it, very shortly.
Not always, Samsung sometimes feels there products are worth the premium price.......
post #393 of 477 Old 06-09-2019, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha394 View Post
I have six tvs and a projector in the house all from Value Electronics. I have been dealing with them for years and they are first class in every way.
The concern I have with using an internet order is processing a return. Obviously, if one wants to do a short tryout, one needs to be using a local B & M that allows returns--and pay a price that allows for this. My understanding is that the on-line suppliers don't take returns and say you must exercise the manufacturer's warranty process--one of the reasons they are cheaper. If one has a fault (as contrasted to "I changed my mind") a quick exchange at a local B & M is a lot quicker than a warranty replacement and all the shipping that entails. Has anyone had a different experience?

JVC RS600 Chad-callibrated, 120" 1.3g in Batcave HT, Denon X8500 Polk LSiM703 fronts,
RTi-12 rears, LSiM 706 center, Monitor 40 Heights, Monitor 60 FW, FXiA4 Bi-pole sides,
LSiC top front, Infinity 6" VOG. 4X 12" subs w/mini DSP on sub 1 and nearfield 18" from sub 2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #394 of 477 Old 06-09-2019, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
The concern I have with using an internet order is processing a return. Obviously, if one wants to do a short tryout, one needs to be using a local B & M that allows returns--and pay a price that allows for this. My understanding is that the on-line suppliers don't take returns and say you must exercise the manufacturer's warranty process--one of the reasons they are cheaper. If one has a fault (as contrasted to "I changed my mind") a quick exchange at a local B & M is a lot quicker than a warranty replacement and all the shipping that entails. Has anyone had a different experience?
Good points, but I won't be changing my mind, I've seen the set in person, (at BB) and I know VE will make sure I don't get a lemon.

Dave

Last edited by moonhawk; 06-09-2019 at 11:52 AM.
post #395 of 477 Old 06-09-2019, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Good points, but I won't be changing my mind, I've seen the set in person, (at BB) and I know VE will make sure I don't get a lemon.
Yes, you described that they are going to do a calibration before shipping, which should eliminate any of the infant mortality problems and any screen problems before shipping. A really terrific way to deal with this, especially if one is going to calibrate anyway. Covers anything except shipping damage. If that occurs, you are stuck dealing with the shipping company. My experience with this is that the Shipper has a much better chance of getting a smooth resolution as they are a repeat customer, where you are a "one off". It's a judgement call for each individual to make. I bought my next to last 79" set from a local B & M and had zero problems where I would have wanted to return the set--paid for this peace of mind, too. My last set was a 75" Samsung purchased from the PX mail order at a great price and it arrived with no issues. The panel just crapped out after 5 years, so that's why I'm looking for my next set and pondering if I will internet order or go B & M.

JVC RS600 Chad-callibrated, 120" 1.3g in Batcave HT, Denon X8500 Polk LSiM703 fronts,
RTi-12 rears, LSiM 706 center, Monitor 40 Heights, Monitor 60 FW, FXiA4 Bi-pole sides,
LSiC top front, Infinity 6" VOG. 4X 12" subs w/mini DSP on sub 1 and nearfield 18" from sub 2.
post #396 of 477 Old 06-09-2019, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Yes, you described that they are going to do a calibration before shipping, which should eliminate any of the infant mortality problems and any screen problems before shipping. A really terrific way to deal with this, especially if one is going to calibrate anyway. Covers anything except shipping damage. If that occurs, you are stuck dealing with the shipping company. My experience with this is that the Shipper has a much better chance of getting a smooth resolution as they are a repeat customer, where you are a "one off". It's a judgement call for each individual to make. I bought my next to last 79" set from a local B & M and had zero problems where I would have wanted to return the set--paid for this peace of mind, too. My last set was a 75" Samsung purchased from the PX mail order at a great price and it arrived with no issues. The panel just crapped out after 5 years, so that's why I'm looking for my next set and pondering if I will internet order or go B & M.
Good luck, whatever you do. Samsung has apparently just lowered their price again.

Dave

post #397 of 477 Old 06-09-2019, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Good luck, whatever you do. Samsung has apparently just lowered their price again.
Yes, saw that. If Samsung follows the same MSRP pricing profile as for the Q9, the MSRP will bounce around for a while, make a big plunge in Sept/Oct/Nov and hit it's lowest point at about half it's introductory MSRP for pre-superbowl (even lower than Black Friday). Then comes the clearance making way for the 2020 sets.

post #398 of 477 Old 06-09-2019, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Covers anything except shipping damage. If that occurs, you are stuck dealing with the shipping company. My experience with this is that the Shipper has a much better chance of getting a smooth resolution as they are a repeat customer, where you are a "one off". It's a judgement call for each individual to make.
Depends on who you purchase from. My X940c I bought from @Cleveland Plasma a few years back arrived with a cracked screen, there was no visible box damage. Chris took good care of me, an advanced replacement was sent no questions asked. Unlike ordering from Samsung directly when my 82" Q900 was delivered with a bent screen they wouldn't send a replacement. Samsung eCommerce makes you return the unit and reorder all over again, it really is unbelievable how a company can operate this way.

I just returned my unit but am not going to buy from them again, not playing the Samsung shipping lottery. I really wanted to make the Z9G work but with my fireplace mantle I just don't think I can, my girlfriend already puts up with the 9.2.8 Atmos set-up I have (including massive subwoofers in our living room). So now I am stuck between the 82 Q90R, 82 Q900RB or the 85 Q900RA (this 85" fits because it doesn't have the stupid speakers Sony put on). I will call Chris tomorrow and make my decision when he provides his latest pricing on each of the units.
Ted99 and Keithian like this.
post #399 of 477 Old 06-09-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todeseng3l View Post
So now I am stuck between the 82 Q90R, 82 Q900RB or the 85 Q900RA (this 85" fits because it doesn't have the stupid speakers Sony put on). I will call Chris tomorrow and make my decision when he provides his latest pricing on each of the units.
I lied, I just called Chris at Cleveland Plasma and ordered a new 82" Q900
LG4k likes this.
post #400 of 477 Old 06-11-2019, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 119
ordered mine yesterday, 82", take delivery on the 20th. the waiting game will be painful. got it for much less than i expected, the discount really added up nicely between the price drop, samsung discount program, samsung rewards and cash back website. feel free to pm if you want details.

i wound up buyinh direct from samsung website for some of the discounting and went with the upgrade program too. upgrade program costs nothing, and samsung had 36 months @ 0% so why not. maybe in two years i'll upgrade to a gen3 8k set.
Todeseng3l and LG4k like this.

Samsung 8k 82Q900R, Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz 8802A/MM8077, Panasonic - DP-UB820 , Xbox One X, Kef Reference 205/2, SVS SB16-Ultra
post #401 of 477 Old 06-11-2019, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 1957 Post(s)
Liked: 3254
SWEET EYE CANDY FOR YOUR DISPLAYS:

OLED4UNME likes this.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
post #402 of 477 Old 06-11-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treky11 View Post
ordered mine yesterday, 82", take delivery on the 20th. the waiting game will be painful. got it for much less than i expected, the discount really added up nicely between the price drop, samsung discount program, samsung rewards and cash back website. feel free to pm if you want details.

i wound up buyinh direct from samsung website for some of the discounting and went with the upgrade program too. upgrade program costs nothing, and samsung had 36 months @ 0% so why not. maybe in two years i'll upgrade to a gen3 8k set.
Good luck playing the Samsung lottery. I thought I had a sweet deal too, with the 0% financing and upgrade program. At the time I bought Samsung even threw in a $1k giftcard on top of the current discount program price. Everything seemed awesome until the set arrived damaged.

If you think the waiting game is painful now, pray to the gods that AGS does't butcher your set. Then you will be waiting another week to return your TV and 14-21 days on top of that for Samsung/TD bank to process your refund. After all that you can either re-enter the Samsung lottery and hope that the next set survives transport or do what I did and avoid Samsung all together by purchasing through a dealer

May the AGS odds forever be in your favor
post #403 of 477 Old 06-11-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Good luck playing the Samsung lottery. I thought I had a sweet deal too, with the 0% financing and upgrade program. At the time I bought Samsung even threw in a $1k giftcard on top of the current discount program price. Everything seemed awesome until the set arrived damaged.

If you think the waiting game is painful now, pray to the gods that AGS does't butcher your set. Then you will be waiting another week to return your TV and 14-21 days on top of that for Samsung/TD bank to process your refund. After all that you can either re-enter the Samsung lottery and hope that the next set survives transport or do what I did and avoid Samsung all together by purchasing through a dealer

May the AGS odds forever be in your favor
hopefully i have better luck. if they do fail i will do the same and buy from a local store.

are you happy with your set now?

Samsung 8k 82Q900R, Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz 8802A/MM8077, Panasonic - DP-UB820 , Xbox One X, Kef Reference 205/2, SVS SB16-Ultra
post #404 of 477 Old 06-11-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treky11 View Post
hopefully i have better luck. if they do fail i will do the same and buy from a local store.

are you happy with your set now?
I originally ordered on May 15 from Samsung and just received my refund last week. I ordered from another dealer on Sunday and expect the set early next week, so I will be in the same boat as you as far as evaluating it!
post #405 of 477 Old 06-11-2019, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I originally ordered on May 15 from Samsung and just received my refund last week. I ordered from another dealer on Sunday and expect the set early next week, so I will be in the same boat as you as far as evaluating it!
How did you pack up the TV? Did you use the original packaging? They took mine with the White Glove service so I am not sure what to do now that I want to return it.
post #406 of 477 Old 06-11-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabuwal View Post
How did you pack up the TV? Did you use the original packaging? They took mine with the White Glove service so I am not sure what to do now that I want to return it.
Yeah, I used the original packaging. I imagine you would have to reach out to Samsung and have them send you another box.

When I returned it they used FedEx Freight. FedEx only sent one guy to pick it up and I had to help him load it back into the truck.
post #407 of 477 Old 06-12-2019, 01:24 PM
tdx

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Firmware 1303.7 just went up for these sets. I'll install tonight and see if there's any major changes. Hopefully addresses the issue of local dimming darkening which has been driving me nuts...
post #408 of 477 Old 06-12-2019, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdx View Post
Firmware 1303.7 just went up for these sets. I'll install tonight and see if there's any major changes. Hopefully addresses the issue of local dimming darkening which has been driving me nuts...

My tv won’t find an update and it’s on 1065. The website shows 1260. Where do you find 1303? Do you have a link and or release notes?
post #409 of 477 Old 06-12-2019, 09:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6395 Post(s)
Liked: 6394
Quote:
Yes, saw that. If Samsung follows the same MSRP pricing profile as for the Q9, the MSRP will bounce around for a while, make a big plunge in Sept/Oct/Nov and hit it's lowest point at about half it's introductory MSRP for pre-superbowl (even lower than Black Friday). Then comes the clearance making way for the 2020 sets.
Its the same thing every year
post #410 of 477 Old 06-13-2019, 09:17 AM
tdx

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushisean1 View Post
My tv won’t find an update and it’s on 1065. The website shows 1260. Where do you find 1303? Do you have a link and or release notes?
If you go to the (US) Samsung site and search 8K (under Buy Now) you will see a support link. Once you click on it it will show you the latest firmware for 2019 8K TVs, which is 1303. I can't tell you the exact benefits of this update as it states the usual generic BS (improved stability etc)

However I can say to answer my own question earlier, after having installed the update via USB, the local dimming variations have been somewhat addressed. Before some movies with mixed contrast scenes would make the TV alternate between extremely dim and bright in an obvious and annoying way, especially with subtitles on. Now the variations are less pronounced, but still present. I guess I can live with it, esp. since there isn't another TV this year as big, detailed and future proof at the same price point, especially after the recent discounts.

But it's still not perfect and i really hope Samsung keeps fine tuning the local dimming algorithm. For example on a lot of movie credits the tv will constantly dim the whole screen or the outer edges of the white letters, making it look like there is vignetting going on.

If anyone has found some good settings to share in SDR and HDR to even out these backlight changes I would love to get them.
post #411 of 477 Old 06-14-2019, 06:36 PM

Mine is coming Monday now, btwn 1-5pm. I will get to spend some time with it too as I am off work right now due to surgery, so watching a lot of TV. I'll be able to compare it my Sony Z9D and an LG Oled. Really hope it arrives in good condition and compares well.

@tdx - rtings.com did a review and I believe they posted their setting too, probably not a bad place to start.

post #412 of 477 Old 06-14-2019, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 306
However I can say to answer my own question earlier, after having installed the update via USB, the local dimming variations have been somewhat addressed. Before some movies with mixed contrast scenes would make the TV alternate between extremely dim and bright in an obvious and annoying way, especially with subtitles on. Now the variations are less pronounced, but still present. I guess I can live with it, esp. since there isn't another TV this year as big, detailed and future proof at the same price point, especially after the recent discounts.

Just wondering if your in movie mode? On my tv, it would do this annoying fluctuation like you describe. All I did was go to standard mode, and it never came back at all. Of course for all I know, my now old tv just had a weird quirk to it. But it might be worth trying anyway.....

amazing prices through armed forces aafes on these 8k sets, so Im really interested in all the feedback on this set

Samsung 65Q900R
Samsung 65KS8500
Samsung K8500 4k Blu-Ray Player
Sony STR ZA1100ES Atmos/DTSx 5.1.2
Xbox One S/Xbox One X/Ps4 Pro/Apple TV 4K 64GB
post #413 of 477 Old 06-15-2019, 07:38 AM
tdx

[QUOTE=LG4k;58183844

Just wondering if your in movie mode? On my tv, it would do this annoying fluctuation like you describe. All I did was go to standard mode, and it never came back at all. Of course for all I know, my now old tv just had a weird quirk to it. But it might be worth trying anyway.....

amazing prices through armed forces aafes on these 8k sets, so Im really interested in all the feedback on this set[/QUOTE]

I tried both movie mode and standard and same behavior. But from reading posts from other users I have a feeling it's a common behavior with this series. Just wanted to see if anyone had found settings to lessen it...
post #414 of 477 Old 06-17-2019, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I've had my 82" Q900R for about a week now and am pretty happy with it. I'm coming from a 65" LG OLED E6, which was too small for my large room. The Sammy is a good size for my viewing distance and seems to do pretty well with older/lower res content, although 4K HDR is like night and day compared to even an HD DirecTV feed.

Any idea when/if we will get full 8K support for YouTube? The "shot in 8k, stream in 4k, display in 8k" content looks good, but I want to see the real thing as soon as possible.
post #415 of 477 Old 06-17-2019, 04:29 PM

My second 82" Q900 arrived this morning unannounced. I ordered this set from Cleveland Plasma instead of Samsung. I was actually walking out the door to go to work and a delivery guy was there. Apparently the freight company's computer system was down and they were blind delivering w/o appointments.

This poor TV looked like it went through hell during shipping. There were multiple holes (some as big as 8") and very large scrapes on the box. The TV was functional: no cracked screen or bends this time! Unfortunately the plastic backing on the rear of the TV sustained a crack, which I would assume means the TV fell during transit. Chris is helping me out, we are going to see what type of reimbursement the freight company will offer before we decide to attempt to replace the unit with a new one. If the re-reimbursement is substantial enough I may take the risk keeping the unit at the expense of Samsung blaming any warranty claims down the line on physical damage.

In the meantime Chris advised me to enjoy the set until we hear back about the shipper's offer. I mounted it this afternoon and the picture is stunning! Even DirecTV's 4K channel (attached) is breathtaking. I did get a chance to watch some of the World Cup as well which revealed the extent of the DSE. I would say I didn't have much luck with the the panel lottery, I would rate it below average.

I will report back impressions after I had time to ingest more content and it gets dark enough to appreciate the finer details and black levels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	887.6 KB
ID:	2581252  
LG4k likes this.

Last edited by Todeseng3l; 06-17-2019 at 04:32 PM.
post #416 of 477 Old 06-17-2019, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by theph0xx View Post
I've had my 82" Q900R for about a week now and am pretty happy with it. I'm coming from a 65" LG OLED E6, which was too small for my large room. The Sammy is a good size for my viewing distance and seems to do pretty well with older/lower res content, although 4K HDR is like night and day compared to even an HD DirecTV feed.

Any idea when/if we will get full 8K support for YouTube? The "shot in 8k, stream in 4k, display in 8k" content looks good, but I want to see the real thing as soon as possible.

Check some of my prior posts in this thread for 8k videos ready to download
post #417 of 477 Old 06-17-2019, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I have had my 75" Q900RB in operation a little less than 1 week now. Calibration made a major difference in PQ.

--Carl
post #418 of 477 Old 06-17-2019, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushisean1 View Post
Check some of my prior posts in this thread for 8k videos ready to download
Thanks. Downloading and will test out. Appreciate your efforts in converting - would be nice if they would fix the codec compatibility issue.
post #419 of 477 Old 06-17-2019, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calentz View Post
I have had my 75" Q900RB in operation a little less than 1 week now. Calibration made a major difference in PQ.
Who did you have do the calibration?

Did you start with any particular settings?

I've used RTING's recommended settings to start. Things look pretty great, but I'm sure a calibrator could get more out of it.
post #420 of 477 Old 06-18-2019, 12:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 113
^^ I did the calibration. Several years ago (And several TVs ago) I flew a Calibration Technician out from Main to do the cal (In those days, the equipment cost north of $20K) A few years back I decided
to invest in the equipment myself. (sufficiently accurate equipment, now available) A few years ago I purchased CalMAN Video Pro, (The Software) SpectraCal C6 HDR2000, (The Tri-Stimulus Meter) &
SpectraCal VideoForge Pro. (The Signal Generator) This allowed me to Cal my Samsung Q9F using AutoCal. I now have done the Cal for my Q900RB.

So, again I did the Cal using the automated process.

--Carl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page