AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   LCD Flat Panel Displays (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/)
-   -   2019 Samsung Q900 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/3054818-2019-samsung-q900-owners-thread-no-price-talk.html)

dreaux 07-19-2019 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todeseng3l (Post 58314564)
Yes that would by why I stated "I ended up with an 82" Q90R which has milder DSE and a noticeably better picture IMO" :D

The 8K processing on the Q900 is really good contrary to what others have said. I think the Q900 has a clearer picture and the resolution upgrade is noticeable. This is not enough to overcome the much better blacks on the Q90R, it is a night and day difference in favor of Q90R.

Interesting, that's good to know. Thanks.

Cleveland Plasma 07-19-2019 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treky11 (Post 58305610)

I prefer Q900 over the Z9D. Better picture overall, MUCH better gaming, love the 8k upscaling and the off axis viewing is really much better compared to the Z9D, yes there is a tiny bit more bloom when credits are rolling after a movie, but how often do you watch credits. My whole family prefers the Q900 as well.

Well that's a strong statement ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyguyjake (Post 58308912)
Has the 85" Q900R been discontinued? It's not part of the sale and on Samsung's 85" page it shows as a 2018 model while all other sizes indicate 2019.

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonhawk (Post 58308958)
Correct . The 85 is a 2018 model, does not have the 2019 upgrades, and is discontinued--I think.

Yes you have the QN85Q900RA for 2018 which is disco and the new QN82Q900RB which is current

Darth09 07-19-2019 07:30 PM

Is the Q90R actually better than the Q900R? I find this odd. Isn't the Q900R Samsung's flagship model and is 8k? See the comparison in the link below. The Q90R is not available in 55 inch and the Q900R will be available in 55 inch this fall. Is the Q900R still a really good TV? Anything bigger than 55 inches is too big for my room.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/comp...g-q90r/778/779

LG4k 07-19-2019 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth09 (Post 58317206)
Is the Q90R actually better than the Q900R? I find this odd. Isn't the Q900R Samsung's flagship model and is 8k? See the comparison in the link below. The Q90R is not available in 55 inch and the Q900R will be available in 55 inch this fall. Is the Q900R still a really good TV? Anything bigger than 55 inches is too big for my room.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/comp...g-q90r/778/779

The 55" is available right now for a great price I think. My 65Q900R is coming monday so I cant compare to the Q90R without the stats on ratings. Im personally not worried about the lower contrast as I always use ambient light. Everything else is a toss up between the two . I would think a 55" tv with 3000 nits (prob 2000 real nits in standard which is amazing) and 480 zones and the awesome reflection handling should be epic, ha, thats why I got the 65. However, if theres dse or a problem with the set, Im not going Q90R even though Im sure its nice. Im sold on the features of this 8k set. My only complaint is they have to add e-arc! I just found out the receiver Ive had for months has had the ability to do it this whole time. It can also pass Imax enhanced, but since I'm not going Sony, this I dont care about. HA watch, they add a 65/75 Z9G this fall:)

Darth09 07-20-2019 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LG4k (Post 58317554)
The 55" is available right now for a great price I think. My 65Q900R is coming monday so I cant compare to the Q90R without the stats on ratings. Im personally not worried about the lower contrast as I always use ambient light. Everything else is a toss up between the two . I would think a 55" tv with 3000 nits (prob 2000 real nits in standard which is amazing) and 480 zones and the awesome reflection handling should be epic, ha, thats why I got the 65. However, if theres dse or a problem with the set, Im not going Q90R even though Im sure its nice. Im sold on the features of this 8k set. My only complaint is they have to add e-arc! I just found out the receiver Ive had for months has had the ability to do it this whole time. It can also pass Imax enhanced, but since I'm not going Sony, this I dont care about. HA watch, they add a 65/75 Z9G this fall:)

So in your opinion, the Q900R is the better overall TV than the Q90R despite ratings giving the edge to the Q90R? I have no choice to go with the Q900R because it's the only top of the line Samsung TV that comes in 55 inches. The Q90R is 65 inches and higher. I just want to make sure that the Q900R is still an awesome TV to have despite not being ranked the best. Thanks.

TriTon464 07-20-2019 03:44 AM

I am being dead serious. If you are looking at only a 55", would you step down to a 49" formuch beter picture quality?It is not "that" much smaller.
Do not let "Q" fool you. The 49" is not the same as the rest of the "Q" line. It is very odd indeed.
Right now we have the 55" Q900R, 49" q70 and 55" LG C9 right here side by side. They are all fully calibrated with a very high end hardware calibration unit.
Everyone here agrees the Q70 wins hands down.

Even native 8K content on the Q900R is not as good as 1080P content on the 49" Q70!
Plus 8K content will be few and far between for a long time. We hardly have 4K content yet. I would not worry about that this time around.
The only issue is you need to be sitting 3' from the TV but at 8K you need to be sitting 3' from the 55' as well. I am not much for TV's and am sitting 25' and it is fine to me! However all "judgements" were made at 3'.
I am only trying to help you.

The Q70 49" is not the same as larger "Q series" TV's. Those are midline TV's at best. The 49" is a flagship TV in it's own right oddly enough.
You are exactly the person I was looking for. I figured there would be no one wanting a TV this small.
You absolutely cannot judge in a store!
Not only are they "torched" in a store, they are certainly not calibrated. Plus people may have "played" with the settings.
Trust me on this. If you had one, you would not be missing a thing! Except maybe 8K but in that regard as you know the Q90 is also a better Tv anyways but the Q70 49" is better yet!
Only the 49" Q70! The rest of the Q70 series is mediocre at best IMO. I thought perhaps this is a secret of Samsungs or some mistake at first but I have no clue what actually took place. It is also a 12 bit panel.

The larger Q70's have a 10 bit panel. this is confirmed through calibration.
Once again, I am only trying to help you. Right now the 55" Q900R is cheap anyways. Why not save even more and get an even better, albeit a bit smaller TV?
Unless you simply will not go that small, but really it is not a "huge" difference in size. They are both "small" TV's by todays standards.
I figured no one was going to want a TV this small so no one was going to care about this anomaly I had figured out. You are just the person! I say give it a try, you have nothing to lose and a lot to gain!
Again, I am only trying to help you!

Edit: DSE and blooming are pretty noticeable on both the Q900R and Q90. You cannot see the backlight whatsoever on the 49" Q70. Well, maybe YOU can, no one here can. This is a big part of the reason we picked it. You will here people complaining about DSE and blooming on these sets a lot. People that buy this caliber of TV are more critical. The 49" Q70 is completely devoid of it! This is going in the master bedroom! the others will go in kids rooms!

DrDon 07-20-2019 10:41 AM

Non-owner posts and posts discussing other models and brands are of little use in a thread for current owners of the listed display and have been deleted.

If you don't own or plan to own the set, don't post here. Create a comparison thread or ask in the help-me-decide threads. Thanks.

LG4k 07-20-2019 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth09 (Post 58317640)
So in your opinion, the Q900R is the better overall TV than the Q90R despite ratings giving the edge to the Q90R? I have no choice to go with the Q900R because it's the only top of the line Samsung TV that comes in 55 inches. The Q90R is 65 inches and higher. I just want to make sure that the Q900R is still an awesome TV to have despite not being ranked the best. Thanks.

Im coming from a ks8500 edge lit so this tv will blow away that in terms of picture quality. Ive never owned a q90, and honestly a lot of people here have gone from a q900 to a q90! For what I paid, 8k is like a free bonus.

IF you compare the q900 and q90 in rtings, the q90 has double the contrast and more color volume. I watch with light on, so this shouldnt be a problem, if your in the complete dark, I dont know, it might bug you. The q900 gets a bit brighter, OR much brighter in standard mode, they dont bother to test all the settings. From watching all the reviews online, the biggest hit against the q900r was the price.

As far as flagship samsungs, since you cant get a q90 in 55, theres the q80, but it has even worse contrast(5700:1) and half the brightness, and hundreds less in dimming zones. It is much cheaper, but Id pay extra to get the q900

ohyeah32 07-21-2019 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todeseng3l (Post 58312850)
I had two 82" Q900RB, both had horrible DSE. I wanted to love the Q900 and got a smoking deal on it, however, it just didn't work out. I ended up with an 82" Q90R which has milder DSE and a noticeably better picture IMO (which is backed up by the RTINGS contrast measurements). I would have a Z9G if they didn't choose to include those ridiculous speakers that add bulk, it is just too big to fit above my fireplace. At the end of the day I am happy I ended up with the Q90R despite the headache of returning two Q900Rs, I will upgrade to a flagship 8K set in a couple of years after they get the format straightened out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by calentz (Post 58313716)
I have had Samsung's for a little over 12years with no problems.
The 1st 10years was with a rear projection TV. (I replaced several lamps)
The next was with a Q9F for 2years.
Now a Q900RB.
The 1st two are with new owners and are still functioning.

Thanks for the very helpful information, I really appreciate it.:)

DrDon 07-21-2019 06:38 AM

More off-topic posts removed.

Please do not discuss moderation in open forums. PM us if you have any issues. We're reasonable people.

Again, this thread was created by owners for owners to discuss this set and advance their enjoyment of it. Please respect their wishes.

LG4k 07-22-2019 03:51 PM

[LEFT][/LEFT65'' Just delivered! Completely clean panel! Im so happy right now:) First up was aquaman 4k....wow...its amazing the brightness. The biggest difference between the ks8500, is how much more I see in the highlights/its like seeing it for the first time... Im using standard pic mode and its super sharp. Its the best HDR 4k picture I've ever seen. The anti reflective layer is something else...all the windows are open to install the tv, and you just get the slightest hint of reflection.

Amazon plays hdr10+, but it only says that in the tv drop down menu, not on the amazon app....The only weird part is it sets the tv to backlight 30, not 50 like all other HDR sources. Is it like dolby vision and I should just leave it alone. It looks amazing so that won't be a problem

LG4k 07-27-2019 06:51 PM

so....after a good first few days, the one connect quit on me. It stared out I thought it was the blu ray player. It out of nowhere after a few full movies , began to say no hdcp 2.2. Ok, so nothing last forever, get a new player. Then apple tv stopped playing HDR. Weird. The tv kept turning off the input that allows HDR. Alright. Then the xbox refused to play any 4k blu ray what so ever, wouldn't even recognize a disc??...I then got new hdmi cables that had the certification logo(my old ones did too). directly hooked up to the tv, it would work. Turn it off, then no hdcp 2.2....so its now packed up. I cant get a new one because it was a smoking deal through the air force base, and they dont have the 65 anymore. I guess I could have warrantied the one connect, but I expect it to work for more then a week

But the picture was amazing!!! The brightness, the color was soooo much better then the ks8500 its not even funny. The upscaling is groundbreaking as far as I'm concerned...even Skyfall in 1080p was amazing. The nicest tv Ive ever owned, but now Im not a fan of the one connect box. It gets hot!.... Not going to lie, the idea that no one can confirm hdmi 2.1 and hdcp 2.3 had me annoyed for sure. I would have lived with it even if the ps5 wasn't compatable in 8k, its that good of a picture....anyway, enjoy the sets, I think a lot of people look at raw sats online and in a bright best buy and with the price really hate on these sets...they're really a great tv, ha, as long as you can get a stable signal:)

ray0414 07-27-2019 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LG4k (Post 58349194)
so....after a good first few days, the one connect quit on me. It stared out I thought it was the blu ray player. It out of nowhere after a few full movies , began to say no hdcp 2.2. Ok, so nothing last forever, get a new player. Then apple tv stopped playing HDR. Weird. The tv kept turning off the input that allows HDR. Alright. Then the xbox refused to play any 4k blu ray what so ever, wouldn't even recognize a disc??...I then got new hdmi cables that had the certification logo(my old ones did too). directly hooked up to the tv, it would work. Turn it off, then no hdcp 2.2....so its now packed up. I cant get a new one because it was a smoking deal through the air force base, and they dont have the 65 anymore. I guess I could have warrantied the one connect, but I expect it to work for more then a week

But the picture was amazing!!! The brightness, the color was soooo much better then the ks8500 its not even funny. The upscaling is groundbreaking as far as I'm concerned...even Skyfall in 1080p was amazing. The nicest tv Ive ever owned, but now Im not a fan of the one connect box. It gets hot!.... Not going to lie, the idea that no one can confirm hdmi 2.1 and hdcp 2.3 had me annoyed for sure. I would have lived with it even if the ps5 wasn't compatable in 8k, its that good of a picture....anyway, enjoy the sets, I think a lot of people look at raw sats online and in a bright best buy and with the price really hate on these sets...they're really a great tv, ha, as long as you can get a stable signal:)

The 1 connect box getting hot isn't really new to tvs. if you know where the electronics are located on the rear of a regular TV, that same exact spot will also be extremely hot. most people just don't know it cause they don't go feeling around the back of a TV. if anything, it's actually much better that all that heat be moved AWAY from the panel by having it seperated.

LG4k 07-27-2019 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ray0414 (Post 58349248)
The 1 connect box getting hot isn't really new to tvs. if you know where the electronics are located on the rear of a regular TV, that same exact spot will also be extremely hot. most people just don't know it cause they don't go feeling around the back of a TV. if anything, it's actually much better that all that heat be moved AWAY from the panel by having it seperated.

your right, prob for the best for the life of the set...switching hdmi over and over all night and day to troubleshoot, I really got a sense of the heat on the box/seemed hotter then my receiver on the shelf. But at least it cooler then the 75'' model i guess. Ive only ever had a one connect mini from samsung till now so it was never an issue...regardless, it was such a pain to box up and return this tv that only worked a few days, that I need time to figure out what to get now. Watching the ks8500 now seems kinda dull :)

Darth09 07-28-2019 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LG4k (Post 58318978)
Im coming from a ks8500 edge lit so this tv will blow away that in terms of picture quality. Ive never owned a q90, and honestly a lot of people here have gone from a q900 to a q90! For what I paid, 8k is like a free bonus.

IF you compare the q900 and q90 in rtings, the q90 has double the contrast and more color volume. I watch with light on, so this shouldnt be a problem, if your in the complete dark, I dont know, it might bug you. The q900 gets a bit brighter, OR much brighter in standard mode, they dont bother to test all the settings. From watching all the reviews online, the biggest hit against the q900r was the price.

As far as flagship samsungs, since you cant get a q90 in 55, theres the q80, but it has even worse contrast(5700:1) and half the brightness, and hundreds less in dimming zones. It is much cheaper, but Id pay extra to get the q900

Please read through everything here and hopefully you can answer all of my important questions. Much appreciated. You can really help my situation since you already own the Q900 and know a lot about it and I want to make sure that I'm still getting a great TV in the Q900.
Does the 2019 Q900 support HDMI 2.1? If not, would I be able to replace it with an updated connect box with HDMI 2.1 ports in the future without having to buy the 2020 8K model that may support HDMI 2.1? What are the main differences between the 2018 and 2019 Q900 models? What is the model number of the 2019 Q900 in North America? Is it Q900RB? I want to make sure that I'm getting the 2019 model with the improved features. Also, I find it so odd that the Q90 has better contrast. The Q900 should be superior to it since it's the flagship model. Since I can only get the Q900 in 55 inches, should I go for it? The Q90 65 inch would probably not fit in my room. Is the Q90 really that much better than the Q900 or is it only slightly better in some ways? Does the Q90 support HDMI 2.1? There's still a possibility that I can get the 65 inch Q90. I might be able to barely fit it in my room if I decide to get it. I have to take measurements. I'm still leaning towards the Q900 because it has 8K resolution. Which one should I got with in all honesty?
Sorry for all of the questions. Hopefully you can answer them all. Thanks for your help. :)

LG4k 07-28-2019 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth09 (Post 58349656)
Please read through everything here and hopefully you can answer all of my important questions. Much appreciated. You can really help my situation since you already own the Q900 and know a lot about it and I want to make sure that I'm still getting a great TV in the Q900.
Does the 2019 Q900 support HDMI 2.1? If not, would I be able to replace it with an updated connect box with HDMI 2.1 ports in the future without having to buy the 2020 8K model that may support HDMI 2.1? What are the main differences between the 2018 and 2019 Q900 models? What is the model number of the 2019 Q900 in North America? Is it Q900RB? I want to make sure that I'm getting the 2019 model with the improved features. Also, I find it so odd that the Q90 has better contrast. The Q900 should be superior to it since it's the flagship model. Since I can only get the Q900 in 55 inches, should I go for it? The Q90 65 inch would probably not fit in my room. Is the Q90 really that much better than the Q900 or is it only slightly better in some ways? Does the Q90 support HDMI 2.1? There's still a possibility that I can get the 65 inch Q90. I might be able to barely fit it in my room if I decide to get it. I have to take measurements. I'm still leaning towards the Q900 because it has 8K resolution. Which one should I got with in all honesty?
Sorry for all of the questions. Hopefully you can answer them all. Thanks for your help. :)

sorry...my tv lasted a week before the one connect went haywire. Just bad luck, but since they had no more in stock, I no longer have this tv. When it worked it was beautiful. As far as being future proof, no one seems to give a straight answer. Different reviews give different measurements for brightness and color. Ratings say it has hdmi 2.1 but they are also the lowest reviewer by far with brightness and color volume and they're wrong about the x950g having hdcp 2.2...it has 2.3, which you'll prob need for 8k boxes...again, maybe the q900r has it, who knows, samsung doesn't state.

If u can fit a 65 q90r, I think most people would say go that way...if you can only fit a 55, I dont think theres a better set imo....going back to a reg 4k set, the upscaling is what I miss the most

Darth09 07-29-2019 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LG4k (Post 58352432)
sorry...my tv lasted a week before the one connect went haywire. Just bad luck, but since they had no more in stock, I no longer have this tv. When it worked it was beautiful. As far as being future proof, no one seems to give a straight answer. Different reviews give different measurements for brightness and color. Ratings say it has hdmi 2.1 but they are also the lowest reviewer by far with brightness and color volume and they're wrong about the x950g having hdcp 2.2...it has 2.3, which you'll prob need for 8k boxes...again, maybe the q900r has it, who knows, samsung doesn't state.

If u can fit a 65 q90r, I think most people would say go that way...if you can only fit a 55, I dont think theres a better set imo....going back to a reg 4k set, the upscaling is what I miss the most

Is it true that only HDMI port 4 on the Q900R supports HDMI 2.1? Is it the full spec?

Rudy1 07-31-2019 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth09 (Post 58353200)
Is it true that only HDMI port 4 on the Q900R supports HDMI 2.1? Is it the full spec?

Currently, only input 4 supports HDMI 2.1; when the sets debuted earlier this year, Samsung told professional reviewers that they would provide upgraded OCBs with full-spec HDMI 2.1 ports to owners on a "by request" basis. According to this article, the sets will have support for the "latest" HDMI spec in 2019. What this actually signifies is unknown, but it could either mean a firmware update for input 4, or four full-spec HDMI 2.1 inputs in a replacement One Connect Box.

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/news/34fb19a

Darth09 08-01-2019 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy1 (Post 58363948)
Currently, only input 4 supports HDMI 2.1; when the sets debuted earlier this year, Samsung told professional reviewers that they would provide upgraded OCBs with full-spec HDMI 2.1 ports to owners on a "by request" basis. According to this article, the sets will have support for the "latest" HDMI spec in 2019. What this actually signifies is unknown, but it could either mean a firmware update for input 4, or four full-spec HDMI 2.1 inputs in a replacement One Connect Box.

The forth HDMI port doesn't support the full HDMI 2.1 spec? Can the fourth port gain the full HDMI 2.1 spec by getting a firmware update or do you need a whole new One Connect Box? I don't need 4 HDMI 2.1 ports. Only 1 HDMI 2.1 port is necessary for me because I only use my PS4 which would be plugged into the fourth HDMI 2.1 port. Despite the PS4 not supporting HDMI 2.1, the fourth HDMI 2.1 port is future-proof for when the PS5 comes around. I'm planning on getting the Q900R soon. Is it a great TV and worth getting?

moonhawk 08-02-2019 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy1 (Post 58363948)

I'm not all that concerned about HDNI 2.1, but I do wonder if I get a new OCB, will I lose my professional calibration? If I record the settings, will they still apply to my panel, or are they somehow dependent on the OCB as well?

calentz 08-02-2019 02:40 PM

My thought is the Calib. needs to be done again. FYI: The latest firmware is now 1312.2 avail on Samsung's WebSite.

moonhawk 08-02-2019 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calentz (Post 58374640)
My thought is the Calib. needs to be done again. FYI: The latest firmware is now 1312.2 avail on Samsung's WebSite.

If it needs to be done again, I'm not going to bother unless there is a very compelling reason.

Do you know what's in the new firmware?

calentz 08-02-2019 06:15 PM

They always say the same thing: - Improved usability 1. Improved browser performance 2. Improved app performance 3. Improved stability 4. Improved usability of input devices

sushisean1 08-04-2019 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonhawk (Post 58374658)
If it needs to be done again, I'm not going to bother unless there is a very compelling reason.

Do you know what's in the new firmware?

Anyone else have the issue where these updates can’t be installed in the menu over the internet, you have to stick it on a thumb drive and do it manually?

calentz 08-04-2019 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sushisean1 (Post 58381032)
Anyone else have the issue where these updates can’t be installed in the menu over the internet, you have to stick it on a thumb drive and do it manually?

I think the updates are put on Samsung's download website before it is put on the "Wire"

srust 08-05-2019 08:56 AM

Has anybody with a Q900 directly compared the contrast levels to a Q80 or a Q8FN? I have a place I can only use a 55" that I currently have a Q8FN installed. I tried a Q80 and returned it as it has worse contrast than the Q8FN. I also have a 65" Q9FN in another room that I am extremely satisfied with. However , the Q9 or even this year's Q90 with 480 dimming zones are not available in 55" in USA. The Q900 has the 480 zones and is now sold in 55", but the reviews report a poor native contrast in comparison to the Q8FN. Considering by bad experience with the Q80 contrast/black levels, would I gain any improvement in real world contrast by going with a Q900? I've seen them in the Best Buy Magnolia store, but it's to bright to tell anything there.

ohyeah32 08-05-2019 01:54 PM

Some have mentioned that sources connected via HDMI were out of sync. Were these devices connected directly to the TV, or first to a receiver/processor then to the TV? The idea of having the audio go out of sync would be very annoying.

DJRC 08-11-2019 07:38 PM

Looked at TV's today. Saw a Q900 and a Q90 side by side. The Q90 was clearly the better all round picture. Goes to show buying on a hype instead of test driving in person saves you a lot of misery (and money). The Q900 is a pretty big disappointment IMO.

LG4k 08-11-2019 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJRC (Post 58411402)
Looked at TV's today. Saw a Q900 and a Q90 side by side. The Q90 was clearly the better all round picture. Goes to show buying on a hype instead of test driving in person saves you a lot of misery (and money). The Q900 is a pretty big disappointment IMO.

cool story

rboster 08-12-2019 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJRC (Post 58411402)

Thanks for the observation, but this thread is dedicated to owners exchanging tech information about this TV....it's not intended as a comparison thread.