2019 Samsung Q900 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 215Likes

post #31 of 647 Old 03-07-2019, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Unfortunately I don’t have much time to play around tonight as I’ve got an exceptionally early work day tomorrow and the delivery was 90 minutes after the scheduled window (typical).

The ports on the one connect box are not labeled as 2.1 or standard HDMI. The ARC channel is not specified as eARC. If anyone has specifics on how to check further I’d be happy to check.

On a side note - looks to me like the 75” no gap wall mount will fit this unit. I’m going to order one from amazon and if it doesn’t work I’ll return it. On a side note my spouse is in love with the stand - which was an extreme surprise as she despises tv stands , so the aesthetic of that is real nice.
Kenbar and plamen80 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 647 Old 03-07-2019, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbar View Post
Any noticeable banding when the soccer game pans when following the action? Have you had a chance to try some 4k vids on it yet, from discs or Youtube?
DirecTV has a 4K broadcast of Man U and Arsenal Sunday morning. I’ll check that out and let you know.

On a separate note - a firmware update seems to have resolved all of my remote issues....which I’m very happy about because that was pissing me off .

The darks on this unit are fantastic. I have no way of measuring but anecdotally they’re as good to my eye as my ZT60- however the brightness is just not even comparable, as expected. The scene in Expanse S3 Episode 1 where they’re burning proto-molecule off the ship - the color and intensity of the flame are incredible .
Sean Max, Kenbar and plamen80 like this.
post #33 of 647 Old 03-07-2019, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Great info. I was watching The Expanse as I read your update. That will be one of the first things I check out when mine arrives.

Glad you're having a positive experience!
Kenbar likes this.

Ascend Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Ascend Horizon Center w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 2 surrounds, PSB Imagine XA Atmos modules (x4), SVS PB13 Ultras (x2), SVS PB12+ (x2)
Denon X6500H / Emotiva Mini-X a-100
Panasonic DP-UB820 / PS4 Pro / XBOX 1X
Sony XBR75Z9D, LG OLED65B7A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 647 Old 03-07-2019, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Is Apple ITunes installed on the TV
post #35 of 647 Old 03-07-2019, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mliu View Post
Is Apple ITunes installed on the TV
I don’t see any of the Apple compatible stuff yet (AirPlay, iTunes, movies, etc) yet .
post #36 of 647 Old 03-07-2019, 08:23 PM

Okay, thanks. I hope my 82” arrives tomorrow, I was hoping. Congratulations on your new tv and enjoy.
post #37 of 647 Old 03-08-2019, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Ok. Mine is 30 minutes out. From there I have to wait on a friend to arrive so he can help me haul it up the stairs.

Fingers crossed.
markrubin and Kenbar like this.

Ascend Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Ascend Horizon Center w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 2 surrounds, PSB Imagine XA Atmos modules (x4), SVS PB13 Ultras (x2), SVS PB12+ (x2)
post #38 of 647 Old 03-08-2019, 11:09 AM

My TV won't be coming after all. Pilot shipping company called and cancelled by 82" delivery for today because they saw damage to the box, so sent back to Amazon. Oh well...
post #39 of 647 Old 03-08-2019, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Sadly my set is full of DSE I will try to upload some photos but after sending back 3 zd9s this one is the worst this is really sad for 7500 dollars more then likely this one is going back
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	803.2 KB
ID:	2536138   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed (1).jpg
Views:	292
Size:	630.5 KB
ID:	2536140  

Last edited by Heavymetalhead55; 03-08-2019 at 03:42 PM.
post #40 of 647 Old 03-08-2019, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After reading all the horror stories of delivery companies for Samsung, Best Buy, etc I decided to go pick up my 82” Q900 myself.

I’m replacing a 2014 Samsung Curved 4K TV.

After turning it on, updating the firmware, and setting a few basic settings and watching for 45 min in an extremely bright room, here are my first impressions.

Note, I don’t know every proper setting to optimize this set and would welcome some feedback. I also don’t know what every abbreviation you guys use is but I’m learning.

1. Physical install was easy. The longest hang up I had was trying to find where the feet were for the TV. They are in a holder on the top center (I thought that was part of the wall mount)
2. Speaking of wall mounts, I was pleasantly surprised to find that for $10,000 I got one included. It’s FAR heavier duty than any wall mount I’d have used.
3. I turned auto motion settings to custom, and set both Judder and Blur to level 3. I don’t notice any soap opera effect which I’m usually really sensitive to.
4. It took me a while to get my Apple TV To work correctly. Setting it to match source settings for both Dynamic Range and Frame Rate.
5. I made sure all Eco settings were disabled

The screen is very bright, color is great, and the menu is FAST. Overall I’m really happy with how it looks. I’m not sure I’m $10,000 happy but so far I’ve only watched it in the middle of the day with a ton of ambient light.

I’d be happy to answer questions I can and send pics. I’ve got the evening to play with this.

GunmetalR56 and Thrust-Bot like this.
post #41 of 647 Old 03-08-2019, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1536 Post(s)
Liked: 1593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavymetalhead55 View Post
Sadly my set is full of DSE I will try to upload some photos but after sending back 3 zd9s this one is the worst this is really sad for 7500 dollars more then likely this one is going back
Could you please let us know what’s the width distance of the feet from the inside position?

LG 77C8, Sony 75x940E, LG 65B7, LG 65EF9500, LG 55E6, LG 55UB8200, 2 TCL 49S515's
2 Apple 4K TVs, 2 LG UP970's, 2 Samsung UBD-K8500s, WD 4TB NAS
Nvidia Shield, Wii U, Playstation 3
post #42 of 647 Old 03-08-2019, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushisean1 View Post
After reading all the horror stories of delivery companies for Samsung, Best Buy, etc I decided to go pick up my 82” Q900 myself.
A very wise decision ! Looks beautiful! Congratulations!
post #43 of 647 Old 03-08-2019, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1536 Post(s)
Liked: 1593
Quote:

After turning it on, updating the firmware, and setting a few basic settings and watching for 45 min in an extremely bright room, here are my first impressions.

Note, I don’t know every proper setting to optimize this set and would welcome some feedback. I also don’t know what every abbreviation you guys use is but I’m learning.

1. Physical install was easy. The longest hang up I had was trying to find where the feet were for the TV. They are in a holder on the top center (I thought that was part of the wall mount)
2. Speaking of wall mounts, I was pleasantly surprised to find that for $10,000 I got one included. It’s FAR heavier duty than any wall mount I’d have used.
3. I turned auto motion settings to custom, and set both Judder and Blur to level 3. I don’t notice any soap opera effect which I’m usually really sensitive to.
4. It took me a while to get my Apple TV To work correctly. Setting it to match source settings for both Dynamic Range and Frame Rate.

The screen is very bright, color is great, and the menu is FAST. Overall I’m really happy with how it looks. I’m not sure I’m $10,000 happy but so far I’ve only watched it in the middle of the day with a ton of ambient light.

I’d be happy to answer questions I can and send pics. I’ve got the evening to play with this.

Same question for you. Using the feet at the inside position. How many inches are they apart?

LG 77C8, Sony 75x940E, LG 65B7, LG 65EF9500, LG 55E6, LG 55UB8200, 2 TCL 49S515's
2 Apple 4K TVs, 2 LG UP970's, 2 Samsung UBD-K8500s, WD 4TB NAS
Nvidia Shield, Wii U, Playstation 3
post #44 of 647 Old 03-08-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillietalls View Post
Same question for you. Using the feet at the inside position. How many inches are they apart?

27” outside edge to outside edge.

I was pleasantly surprised that the unit supported inside feet. I thought I’d have to make a temporary wider top for my small tv stand until my new wall unit is installed in a few weeks.
Gillietalls likes this.
post #45 of 647 Old 03-08-2019, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Ok. Had around six hours now to tinker after getting the TV upstairs and connected.

No stuck or dead pixels and very little DSE. I do have one very faint band on the right side but I don't think it's any worse than the middle band on my old 940c or all three 75 z9d units that I've had in this room. I can definitely live with this panel.

Setting judder and blur sliders to 2 seems to be striking a nice balance for movies. I won't use game mode for games because of the hit to picture quality. Have to turn AMP off completely with games or I run into issues with double images on target reticles and some tearing. I couldn't find a happy motion medium on the z9d when gaming so I'll call it a toss up with a slight Z nod.

Viewing angles are fantastic on this set. All seats in our theater room have a great picture with no color fade. Blooming does of course get a little bit more pronounced but it's not that bad compared to the center seat.

About that blooming... the z9d handles it better in most cases. I would say about 90% of the time. I can find the occasional game menu or movie scene where the q900 has the edge but the Z9D is still King here. I find myself wondering if this TV wouldn't have done better having the the 4K series' hardware solution. Hopefully they will keep putting out updates to dial it in.

I've decided even though movie mode is supposed to be more accurate I prefer movies on the q900 in standard mode with warm 2.
Colors definitely seem to have more pop on the q900 but I still can't help but feel that the Z is more accurate. I would have to have this TV calibrated to get those orangish reds under control if I decide to keep it.

Brightness wise it's odd. I go back and forth where certain things on the Z are brighter like flashlights/headlights in dark movies but then I throw in Mad Max Fury Road and it's like I'm watching two different edits of the movie. Certain details just stand out on the Samsung that aren't so prominent on the Z and the whole image is much brighter overall.

One really frustrating thing I've found is that there are times when I feel that the Z looks sharper in spite of the q900's 8K panel!

On Fury Road after the storm, where Max is laying face down in the sand... the sand looks sharper and more defined on the Z. I can't run them side-by-side and I didn't think to turn off reality creation on the Z before we moved it off to the side so I'll have to go back and check that later.

HDR10+ has surprised me. I purchased that awful new Robin Hood and it has Dolby Vision and hdr10+. I actually think the hdr10+ version of that movie looks much better than the DV version.

So far the Q900 and Z9D are trading blows. I certainly can't pick a definitive winner at this point. I do think standard Blu-ray might look a little more natural on the q900? It's pretty close. I also felt my 940c handled standard Blu-ray better than the z9d so take that for what it's worth.

If I end up keeping the q900 I can tell you that I am absolutely going to miss smooth gradiation on the Z. Going from everything being nice and smooth to having color banding has been a jarring experience. That alone might be enough reason for me to pack the q900 up haha.

My friend that came over to help me with this project is sold on the q900 over the Z. He feels that the q900 picture looks more 3Dish. I've seen that myself in a couple of places but not across the board. He also feels like the picture is consistently sharper but I told him that I think he's experiencing a little suggestive Samsung marketing 🙂

That's all I can think of for now. I took a couple of pictures (uploading them from my cell phone so let's see what happens) and I'm going to get back to testing. It's going to be a long night.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190308_202247_1552097084524.jpg
Views:	596
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	2536264   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190308_202616_1552097114217.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	2536266  
plamen80 and Panson like this.

post #46 of 647 Old 03-08-2019, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2987 Post(s)
Liked: 2830
^^^ maybe try uploading the images on imgur or other image uploading site.
post #47 of 647 Old 03-08-2019, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Quoted: 12763 Post(s)
Liked: 12089
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunmetalR56 View Post
Ok. Had around six hours now to tinker after getting the TV upstairs and connected.

No stuck or dead pixels and very little DSE. I do have one very faint band on the right side but I don't think it's any worse than the middle band on my old 940c or all three 75 z9d units that I've had in this room. I can definitely live with this panel.

Setting judder and blur sliders to 2 seems to be striking a nice balance for movies. I won't use game mode for games because of the hit to picture quality. Have to turn AMP off completely with games or I run into issues with double images on target reticles and some tearing. I couldn't find a happy motion medium on the z9d when gaming so I'll call it a toss up with a slight Z nod.

Viewing angles are fantastic on this set. All seats in our theater room have a great picture with no color fade. Blooming does of course get a little bit more pronounced but it's not that bad compared to the center seat.

About that blooming... the z9d handles it better in most cases. I would say about 90% of the time. I can find the occasional game menu or movie scene where the q900 has the edge but the Z9D is still King here. I find myself wondering if this TV wouldn't have done better having the the 4K series' hardware solution. Hopefully they will keep putting out updates to dial it in.

I've decided even though movie mode is supposed to be more accurate I prefer movies on the q900 in standard mode with warm 2.
Colors definitely seem to have more pop on the q900 but I still can't help but feel that the Z is more accurate. I would have to have this TV calibrated to get those orangish reds under control if I decide to keep it.

Brightness wise it's odd. I go back and forth where certain things on the Z are brighter like flashlights/headlights in dark movies but then I throw in Mad Max Fury Road and it's like I'm watching two different edits of the movie. Certain details just stand out on the Samsung that aren't so prominent on the Z and the whole image is much brighter overall.

One really frustrating thing I've found is that there are times when I feel that the Z looks sharper in spite of the q900's 8K panel!

On Fury Road after the storm, where Max is laying face down in the sand... the sand looks sharper and more defined on the Z. I can't run them side-by-side and I didn't think to turn off reality creation on the Z before we moved it off to the side so I'll have to go back and check that later.

HDR10+ has surprised me. I purchased that awful new Robin Hood and it has Dolby Vision and hdr10+. I actually think the hdr10+ version of that movie looks much better than the DV version.

So far the Q900 and Z9D are trading blows. I certainly can't pick a definitive winner at this point. I do think standard Blu-ray might look a little more natural on the q900? It's pretty close. I also felt my 940c handled standard Blu-ray better than the z9d so take that for what it's worth.

If I end up keeping the q900 I can tell you that I am absolutely going to miss smooth gradiation on the Z. Going from everything being nice and smooth to having color banding has been a jarring experience. That alone might be enough reason for me to pack the q900 up haha.

My friend that came over to help me with this project is sold on the q900 over the Z. He feels that the q900 picture looks more 3Dish. I've seen that myself in a couple of places but not across the board. He also feels like the picture is consistently sharper but I told him that I think he's experiencing a little suggestive Samsung marketing 🙂

That's all I can think of for now. I took a couple of pictures (uploading them from my cell phone so let's see what happens) and I'm going to get back to testing. It's going to be a long night.

You'd be surprised how many Samsung owners over the years have ditched movie mode for standard. Movie at times can look flat and not very colorful, probably worse than other brands.

Regarding the gaming picture, is game mode on? On the Q9FN, the local dimming on game mode worked at like 10%, very washy and bloomy. So I wouldn't expect any picture quality mircales with game mode, though Samsung this year has some new settings called dynamic black adjust or something, give those a try.

I believe Samsung has a smooth gradation feature, but it is tied into digital clean view which reminds me, the artificial upscaling is mostly at work on standard mode when using digital clean view. See what happens with lower quality content using that feature. It will help banding for sure.
post #48 of 647 Old 03-08-2019, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the DCV info..I have it off at the moment and will definitely test it out.

I have game mode off..triple checked that one. The update I received after setting up the TV definitely improved the blooming especially with subtitles but there is still some work to be done there.

post #49 of 647 Old 03-08-2019, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks Ray! That works. Putting it on auto reduces banding by 80% or so I'd say much like Sony's smooth gradiation on low.

It doesn't appear to have any negative effect on HD and 4K material as far as I can tell.

post #50 of 647 Old 03-08-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Thanks Ray! That works. Putting it on auto reduces banding by 80% or so I'd say much like Sony's smooth gradiation on low.

It doesn't appear to have any negative effect on HD and 4K material as far as I can tell.

I haven't seen it on new models, but usually it applies some DNR. But with low quality sources it's usually a fair compromise to clean up the image, especially if you have low bit rate banding from streaming. Glad it's effective!
post #51 of 647 Old 03-08-2019, 08:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4303 Post(s)
Liked: 3733
As great as the ZT60 is, it's still a glower, so I'm sure (or at least hope) this set looks perceptually better in the black level department.
post #52 of 647 Old 03-08-2019, 08:36 PM

Is their a good list of standard settings to try? Particularly interested in those regarding dimming. I’m watching a movie and whenever white text comes on a black background between scenes, the text is extremely dimmed
post #53 of 647 Old 03-08-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
As great as the ZT60 is, it's still a glower, so I'm sure (or at least hope) this set looks perceptually better in the black level department.

Did i miss where someone was talking about a ZT60?

Edit: found it, that was a little ways back.
post #54 of 647 Old 03-08-2019, 09:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4303 Post(s)
Liked: 3733
The first owner (and OP) is using that as his baseline comparison...
post #55 of 647 Old 03-08-2019, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

Hmm. Watching Hunter Killer and noticing that the brightness is fluctuating. Slow and steady but noticable.

post #56 of 647 Old 03-09-2019, 02:55 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

How the black level & Contrast looks on this size, Is the local dimming algorithm working very well

at least in movie mode
post #57 of 647 Old 03-09-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Hmm. Watching Hunter Killer and noticing that the brightness is fluctuating. Slow and steady but noticable.

I’m seeing the same until i turned off one of the dimming options regarding enhancing contrast.
post #58 of 647 Old 03-09-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brho0m13 View Post
How the black level & Contrast looks on this size, Is the local dimming algorithm working very well

at least in movie mode

Black levels were great in standard mode. Haven’t tried movie mode for more than a second as it just makes for a very dull image
post #59 of 647 Old 03-09-2019, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Black levels were great in standard mode. Haven’t tried movie mode for more than a second as it just makes for a very dull image
Thanks for the insights thus far.
Could you please measure how far the widest feet hole positions are?
TIA.

Who's the daddy now???
post #60 of 647 Old 03-09-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by encaser View Post
Thanks for the insights thus far.

Could you please measure how far the widest feet hole positions are?

TIA.

It’s in a cabinet now hard for me to say for sure. But they are about 5” off each side and the TV is 73” wide
encaser likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page