2019 Samsung Q900 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 253Likes

post #601 of 792 Old 10-19-2019, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 107
I have a question for the owners as I am considering this TV. Samsung and several reviewers have said that the TV will analyze what you are watching and send the information back and their computer will go though the information and periodically they will update the AI algorithm to make the processing better.

Has anyone noticed any content looked better recently than it did earlier. I just want to know if it was marketing or if it really is happening. There is a big premium on this TV compared to the q90r and unless they deliver on that promise, I might just settle for the 4K version.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 792 Old 10-19-2019, 11:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishwa Somayaji View Post
I have a question for the owners as I am considering this TV. Samsung and several reviewers have said that the TV will analyze what you are watching and send the information back and their computer will go though the information and periodically they will update the AI algorithm to make the processing better.

Has anyone noticed any content looked better recently than it did earlier. I just want to know if it was marketing or if it really is happening. There is a big premium on this TV compared to the q90r and unless they deliver on that promise, I might just settle for the 4K version.

Thanks
I couldn't say, as I don't hook up to the internet. I wouldn't mind them doing that, if I was sure that was all they wanted to know. I'm not sending them any video by the camera, either, if there is one. there was for sure on my last Sammy.

Dave

post #603 of 792 Old 10-20-2019, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks @moonhawk . I don't think it is by the camera. I think it is just the kind of videos that you watch. It didn't sound like the big brother variety of monitoring but just looking at what is the material and how it could be better upscaled. This was more in reference to their AI upscaling and the power of that chip that it could constantly get better. Just wanted to know if some owner noticed it in practice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #604 of 792 Old 10-20-2019, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 77
No, it's not by the camera, but if the set is connected to the Internet, the camera is too. At least that 's my concern. Maybe someone who knows more than I do can chime in.

Dave

post #605 of 792 Old 10-20-2019, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7035 Post(s)
Liked: 7068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Zone View Post
I have a new concern about this unit.

For my application I will need to run the One Connect "Invisible" fiber cord into a wall then down through the floor (including header of floor/ceiling-below) then make a 90 degree turn, run it for 6' then another 90 degree turn back up through floor/ceiling into a wall and then out of wall into back of TV. I already have and HDMI cord running along that path so the fish shouldn't be too tough, but I am worried about the fragility of this cord. Should I be?

I will also have to upgrade to the 15M cord as the 5M that comes standard will be a bit too short.
You should be ok, but your going to have to be careful.......
post #606 of 792 Old 10-21-2019, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Thanks
From what I've seen (Vincent Teo, of HDTV Test), the updated algorithms come in the form of firmware updates. I've had the TV for 2 months now, and I've only had 2 firmware updates (one over the air, and one I downloaded to USB). The latest update (via USB) seemed to improve things, specifically SDR viewing, but this was purely an anecdotal observation -- I was curious to know if a site like rtings could tell a difference.

Other than that, I have no idea how the algorithms are actually updated, or even if they are. Could be marketing BS, for all I know. I will say, I don't like that Samsung has gone silent on things related to this TV, besides sales ads for it. We all still want confirmation that the current One Connect Box support HDMI 2.1, eARC, etc. And Samsung has kept us in the dark.
post #607 of 792 Old 10-21-2019, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLWiLL View Post
From what I've seen (Vincent Teo, of HDTV Test), the updated algorithms come in the form of firmware updates. I've had the TV for 2 months now, and I've only had 2 firmware updates (one over the air, and one I downloaded to USB). The latest update (via USB) seemed to improve things, specifically SDR viewing, but this was purely an anecdotal observation -- I was curious to know if a site like rtings could tell a difference.

Other than that, I have no idea how the algorithms are actually updated, or even if they are. Could be marketing BS, for all I know. I will say, I don't like that Samsung has gone silent on things related to this TV, besides sales ads for it. We all still want confirmation that the current One Connect Box support HDMI 2.1, eARC, etc. And Samsung has kept us in the dark.
Thanks for the comment. Things that you mentioned, like eARC and HDMI 2.1 are really important considering its premium nature. There are a few verbal assurances scattered around IFA and others but nothing concrete. Apart from those, I was thinking that if it really excels in the upscaling and is constantly evolving as they promised, it may be worth paying a premium--one may consider it as the best 4K TV that shows everything in 8K. I read every post in this thread, every review but there hasn't been a specific comment on the upscaling getting better with time.
post #608 of 792 Old 10-21-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the comment. Things that you mentioned, like eARC and HDMI 2.1 are really important considering its premium nature. There are a few verbal assurances scattered around IFA and others but nothing concrete. Apart from those, I was thinking that if it really excels in the upscaling and is constantly evolving as they promised, it may be worth paying a premium--one may consider it as the best 4K TV that shows everything in 8K. I read every post in this thread, every review but there hasn't been a specific comment on the upscaling getting better with time.

In my case, I was looking to replace an OLED with severe burn-in, so I could not wait until 2020 like I wanted to. So I figured I'd upgrade now to a 75". At that size -- 2 months ago -- the difference between the 75Q900RB and 75Q90R was $500 (from eBay sellers). Yes, I knew that the Q90R was the better performing TV. But for my purposes I wanted to be somewhat future-proof for the PlayStation 5, so I went with 8K. So, the $500 difference was a nominal fee to me. (a ~14% upcharge)

That said, we are supposed to receive new One Connect Boxes free-of-charge (if it turns out that our current boxes aren't already equipped with HDMI 2.1) ... But, who the F knows at this point! It's just a wait & see game, at this point, unfortunately...
post #609 of 792 Old 10-22-2019, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 735 Post(s)
Liked: 680
As usual Samsung shoots themselves in the foot again. Why offer a special limited price deal then raise the price shortly afterwards? Who will buy at the new higher price knowing they were selling substantially lower a few days ago. Anyone with the smarts will know they have set the bar lower and just wait for that price again and probably likely lower. It's a fire sale at Samsung especially after they announced the upcoming closure of several of their LCD manufacturing plants. They are moving to OLED so if you like the TV and get it for the right price great just be aware it's a buyers market right now.

Clark
post #610 of 792 Old 10-22-2019, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Most companies do that, though. It is up to us, the consumers to be savvy. Samsung is not alone in this practice. Retailers do it all the time. The difference is that with most retailers, you could go next week and tell them you want the price they had it the previous week and most of the time they honor it. With Samsung direct, they generally don't.
post #611 of 792 Old 10-23-2019, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey guys I just got my 55" and I am wondering what setting you all keep the "fit to screen" on? On, off, or auto?

Been playing around with it the last 2 days and cant seem to figure out what I should keep it on.

thanks
post #612 of 792 Old 10-23-2019, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Burk View Post
As usual Samsung shoots themselves in the foot again. Why offer a special limited price deal then raise the price shortly afterwards? Who will buy at the new higher price knowing they were selling substantially lower a few days ago. Anyone with the smarts will know they have set the bar lower and just wait for that price again and probably likely lower. It's a fire sale at Samsung especially after they announced the upcoming closure of several of their LCD manufacturing plants. They are moving to OLED so if you like the TV and get it for the right price great just be aware it's a buyers market right now.
I'd bet they are moving to micro-LED, not OLED. That's why I bought the Q90, and not the Q900.

JVC RS600 Chad-callibrated, 120" 1.3g in Batcave HT, Denon X8500 Polk LSiM703 fronts,
RTi-12 rears, LSiM 706 center, Monitor 40 Heights, Monitor 60 FW, FXiA4 Bi-pole sides,
LSiC CH, Infinity 6" VOG. 4X 12" subs w/mini DSP on sub 1 and nearfield 18" from sub 2.
post #613 of 792 Old 10-23-2019, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Quoted: 12861 Post(s)
Liked: 12221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99 View Post
I'd bet they are moving to micro-LED, not OLED. That's why I bought the Q90, and not the Q900.

Samsung display announced 2 weeks ago the are converting LCD factories to QD-Oled and will be investing around $10 billion. They are planning for 2021 mass production.

Here's where everything gets funny. Another report came out last week that Samsung Electronics (the tv maker side) is not happy with Samsung Displays decision to go oled and not go micro-led. Micro led is just too far away and not as realistic in the short term. The display division believes the oled route is best because it's way cheaper and can be produced faster. The QD oled uses half the materials of current oleds and Will cost much less to produce.
Ted99 likes this.
post #614 of 792 Old 10-23-2019, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLWiLL View Post
In my case, I was looking to replace an OLED with severe burn-in
May I ask which TV this was?
post #615 of 792 Old 10-23-2019, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Has the 2019 8k model HDMI 2.1 on the OCB? I heard it’s only 1 out of 4 sockets and potentially not full 2.1. Is it full 8k/ 60hz and can it do 4:4:4 in 4K 120hz?

Last edited by Azurik; 10-23-2019 at 11:46 PM.
post #616 of 792 Old 10-24-2019, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
Samsung display announced 2 weeks ago the are converting LCD factories to QD-Oled and will be investing around $10 billion. They are planning for 2021 mass production.

Here's where everything gets funny. Another report came out last week that Samsung Electronics (the tv maker side) is not happy with Samsung Displays decision to go oled and not go micro-led. Micro led is just too far away and not as realistic in the short term. The display division believes the oled route is best because it's way cheaper and can be produced faster. The QD oled uses half the materials of current oleds and Will cost much less to produce.
Well that settles that. What I mostly care about is having larger sizes in modular form, which I understood was to be a feature of micro-Led. I'm looking for an array of four 50" panels, or so. One wonders how the internal gods will align in Samsung. I can understand how monitors could easily go all-QD Oled while the TV's stay at something different. Were the closed LCD factories devoted to monitors, or TV panels also?

JVC RS600 Chad-callibrated, 120" 1.3g in Batcave HT, Denon X8500 Polk LSiM703 fronts,
RTi-12 rears, LSiM 706 center, Monitor 40 Heights, Monitor 60 FW, FXiA4 Bi-pole sides,
LSiC CH, Infinity 6" VOG. 4X 12" subs w/mini DSP on sub 1 and nearfield 18" from sub 2.
post #617 of 792 Old 10-24-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the bay View Post
may i ask which tv this was?
b6 (2017)
In The Bay likes this.
post #618 of 792 Old 10-24-2019, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:

That could have to do with phone, tablet and PC displays and not TVs. Samsung is one of the largest suppliers of OLED displays to other companies (i.e. Apple) in addition to their own products.

I will be VERY surprised if the move the TV division to OLED before investing mini-led FALD, as a stop-gap on the way to micro-led.

OLED is just too sensitive of a technology for mainstream buyers who watch all day long with brightness and color cranked, and the same cable channel on 8 hours a day, with a big fat logo on the bottom corner. Even LG hasn't dumped LCD in favor of OLED, they are just pushing OLED as a premium product to recoup the R&D.

We all know how good OLED looks in a light controlled environment, but we are enthusiasts, and even still may of us are too afraid of the drawbacks to dump LCD yet. Also, these high zone FALD sets are delivering on the experience. My wife is actually annoyed that I keep saying WOW while we watch.

No perfect set, and probably never will be, but damn....
Ted99 likes this.

Samsung 55" JS8500, 48" JS9000, 75" Q90R, 46" ES7100 - Sony 65" 900F

I Like Digital!
post #619 of 792 Old 10-24-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Category 5 View Post
That could have to do with phone, tablet and PC displays and not TVs. Samsung is one of the largest suppliers of OLED displays to other companies (i.e. Apple) in addition to their own products.

I will be VERY surprised if the move the TV division to OLED before investing mini-led FALD, as a stop-gap on the way to micro-led.

OLED is just too sensitive of a technology for mainstream buyers who watch all day long with brightness and color cranked, and the same cable channel on 8 hours a day, with a big fat logo on the bottom corner. Even LG hasn't dumped LCD in favor of OLED, they are just pushing OLED as a premium product to recoup the R&D.

We all know how good OLED looks in a light controlled environment, but we are enthusiasts, and even still may of us are too afraid of the drawbacks to dump LCD yet. Also, these high zone FALD sets are delivering on the experience. My wife is actually annoyed that I keep saying WOW while we watch.

No perfect set, and probably never will be, but damn....

Quantum Dot Oled = TVs.

The new design with quantum dots should greatly improve brightness and longevity. It's actually been leaked all year that Samsung needed to make a final decision by summer/fall to move ahead and they chose a path and are moving ahead.

They will be specializing in large size QD-oleds, 65" and larger. I wouldn't be surprised if we see mini led as a quick holdover until the new QD is ready.
Ted99 likes this.
post #620 of 792 Old 10-24-2019, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quantum Dot Oled = TVs.

The new design with quantum dots should greatly improve brightness and longevity. It's actually been leaked all year that Samsung needed to make a final decision by summer/fall to move ahead and they chose a path and are moving ahead.

They will be specializing in large size QD-oleds, 65" and larger. I wouldn't be surprised if we see mini led as a quick holdover until the new QD is ready.
Has anyne said about when these QDOLED sets would be ready for prime time? Sounds interesting.

I Like Digital!
post #621 of 792 Old 10-24-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Category 5 View Post
Has anyne said about when these QDOLED sets would be ready for prime time? Sounds interesting.
I believe 2021 it'll start.
post #622 of 792 Old 10-24-2019, 09:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I believe 2021 it'll start.
I found some write ups about it with a quick search. Looks like it solves the problems of brightness and cost, but nobody mentions burn-in resistance. I wonder if they'll be less prone, since they'll get extra brightness from the qled layer, and the oleds themselves won't have to work as hard.

I Like Digital!
post #623 of 792 Old 10-24-2019, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

They are less susceptible to burn in(not burn in free) as they are supposed to have two layers of blue. Blue is the one that wears out fastest in the WOLED and QDOLED, with its double layer has extended longevity. My terms may not be the right ones, but you get the idea.
ray0414 likes this.
post #624 of 792 Old 10-25-2019, 08:39 AM

After my expensive LG OLED B6 developed severe burn-in, I am steering far clear away from any (TV) that is OLED; Samsung, or otherwise.
post #625 of 792 Old 10-25-2019, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Reviews for 900R keep pointing out color oversaturation. Is this something that can be made better by some kind of calibration settings?

post #626 of 792 Old 11-02-2019, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Have a cable box in a cabinet. The Q900 does not have a IR port on the one box. Want to keep everything hidden. Any work around for this like an IR blaster of some kind any thoughts would be great. I use the Samsung remote (Sleek)for everything but if I hide the cable box I have to be right next to it to get it to work. Thanks
post #627 of 792 Old 11-02-2019, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 149
The Samsung remote uses bluetooth to access the TV. What do you wish the remote to do with the "Cable Box"?

--Carl

Last edited by calentz; 11-03-2019 at 09:25 AM. Reason: More
post #628 of 792 Old 11-04-2019, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked: 372
No burn in with my Q9FN 65". Probably looking for BF 75" now.
post #629 of 792 Old 11-08-2019, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I made a few 8K Youtube clips compatible with our Q900.
They can be read on the TV from a DLNA share or via USB. Both work fine with me.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...jttNkERG1ZuxKK

More are coming, although it takes quite some time to re-encode VP9 to HEVC 10 bits !
Gary J, iLLWiLL, asoofi1 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by sebos13; 11-11-2019 at 04:47 AM.
post #630 of 792 Old 11-08-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebos13 View Post
I made a few 8K Youtube clips compatible with our Q900.
They can be read on the TV from a DLNA share or via USB. Both work fine with me.

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?c...blicfolderlist

More are coming, although it takes quite some time to re-encode VP9 to HEVC 10 bits !
Nice, thanks!

How are they accessed "from a DLNA share"? I am not familiar with the process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page