2019 Samsung Q900 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 170Likes

post #61 of 490 Old 03-09-2019, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushisean1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunmetalR56 View Post
Hmm. Watching Hunter Killer and noticing that the brightness is fluctuating. Slow and steady but noticable.

I’m seeing the same until i turned off one of the dimming options regarding enhancing contrast.
Contrast enhancer looked bad on this TV so I keep that one off. Hmm.

Ascend Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Ascend Horizon Center w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 2 surrounds, PSB Imagine XA Atmos modules (x4), SVS PB13 Ultras (x2), SVS PB12+ (x2)
Denon X6500H / Emotiva Mini-X a-100
Panasonic DP-UB820 / PS4 Pro / XBOX 1X
Sony XBR75Z9D, LG OLED65B7A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 490 Old 03-09-2019, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 45
For those of you who've purchased, and especially received, a Q900, what made you go with the 8k over the 4k? I can go with the 75Q900RB or wait until they post the pricing and ship date for the 82Q90R. My wife has grown sick of me talking about which TV I want to buy and told me to just buy the one I can get today, haha.
GunmetalR56 and Panson like this.

"Experience is the one thing you can't get for nothing." - Oscar Wilde
post #63 of 490 Old 03-09-2019, 09:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1101 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Max View Post
For those of you who've purchased, and especially received, a Q900, what made you go with the 8k over the 4k? I can go with the 75Q900RB or wait until they post the pricing and ship date for the 82Q90R. My wife has grown sick of me talking about which TV I want to buy and told me to just buy the one I can get today, haha.
I don't know about the tv's...but I like your wife. She's a keeper
Panson likes this.

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 490 Old 03-09-2019, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member

Haha, thanks. Like any good husband I listened to my wife and placed an order for the 75Q900RB. My current scheduled delivery date it 3/20. But from what I hear about Samsung's delivery partners I won't get my hopes up of them hitting that date.
Kenbar likes this.

post #65 of 490 Old 03-10-2019, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2194 Post(s)
Liked: 1475
Quote:
Ok. Had around six hours now to tinker after getting the TV upstairs and connected.

No stuck or dead pixels and very little DSE. I do have one very faint band on the right side but I don't think it's any worse than the middle band on my old 940c or all three 75 z9d units that I've had in this room. I can definitely live with this panel.

Viewing angles are fantastic on this set. All seats in our theater room have a great picture with no color fade.
So compared to your 75z9d, you don't see the washout and color fade (especially reds and skin tones) on the sides when sitting in the center? Also, on content that fades to a dark gray (or 1% gray slide), do you see the dark center and lighter edges like on the Z9D? Really curious if Samsung was able to solve those two viewing-angle issues like Sony did on the Z9F.

As a bonus, the Z9F (at least in 75" size) also had absolutely zero DSE, vertical-banding, or other uniformity issues - a pleasure to watch as long as you're not a black-level fanatic. I have zero tolerance for uniformity issues so based on the early DSE reports, it sounds like this Q900 will not work for me. Maybe the 82" panel will be better?
post #66 of 490 Old 03-10-2019, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
I went with the Q900 over the 4K for a few reasons. Upscaling to 8K. 4K movies in particular just looked better on the Q900 than they did on my Q9FN. Better colour. You have more colour information because in the space of 1 pixel on a 4K set you have 4 on an 8K. Antialiasing. Much better control of edges and jaggies around objects due to the pixel density. You can also increase sharpness more without getting barely any ringing effects/halos around objects. The biggest differnence is brightness. My previous Q900 would hit 3800 nits in Standard mode. This was a massive increase. Compare it to the Q90 4K set which hits 2100 in standard mode. Also with the new models your getting HDMI 2.1 aswell so more future proof.

It depends if all that is worth the price difference.
dreaux likes this.
post #67 of 490 Old 03-10-2019, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks, Matsonia. Brightness, HDMI 2.1 and anti-aliasing, particularly in games, are why I ultimately made the choice for the 900. Well, that and my wife pushing me to just make a purchase rather than sitting around and mulling it over eternally. Plus, if I'm going to buy a TV without Dolby Vision then getting one that can approach 4000 nits to almost completely negate the effects of tone mapping makes a lot of sense.

post #68 of 490 Old 03-11-2019, 12:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Mainly that I could get it sooner (I have until tomorrow to return the Z9D), the higher nit level and the hope that 8k could make up for losing Sony pluses like reality creation and smooth gradiation.

Ascend Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Ascend Horizon Center w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 2 surrounds, PSB Imagine XA Atmos modules (x4), SVS PB13 Ultras (x2), SVS PB12+ (x2)
post #69 of 490 Old 03-11-2019, 12:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
Quote:
Ok. Had around six hours now to tinker after getting the TV upstairs and connected.

No stuck or dead pixels and very little DSE. I do have one very faint band on the right side but I don't think it's any worse than the middle band on my old 940c or all three 75 z9d units that I've had in this room. I can definitely live with this panel.

Viewing angles are fantastic on this set. All seats in our theater room have a great picture with no color fade.
So compared to your 75z9d, you don't see the washout and color fade (especially reds and skin tones) on the sides when sitting in the center? Also, on content that fades to a dark gray (or 1% gray slide), do you see the dark center and lighter edges like on the Z9D? Really curious if Samsung was able to solve those two viewing-angle issues like Sony did on the Z9F.

As a bonus, the Z9F (at least in 75" size) also had absolutely zero DSE, vertical-banding, or other uniformity issues - a pleasure to watch as long as you're not a black-level fanatic. I have zero tolerance for uniformity issues so based on the early DSE reports, it sounds like this Q900 will not work for me. Maybe the 82" panel will be better?
No issues with dark center/lighter edges or color fade. It's excellent in that regard. Those 2 issues drive me up a wall with the Z9D and are the only reasons I grabbed the q900.

I've spent the whole weekend going back and forth between these TVs. I've been sitting in front of them testing different media for about 13 hours straight today.

I still can't decide. The Sony's picture really strikes me as more natural-looking where the Samsung picture seems to pop more like an OLED...even in movie mode. The trouble I have run into is that I've seen so many issues with content tripping up the Samsung. For every Transformers:Last Knight scenario where the Q900 performance just takes it to the next level over the Z.. I run into a Lone Survivor where the Samsung can't seem to get it right.

Examples of the issues I've seen on Lone Survivor: a single star in the night sky with a blob of black rotating around it because the TV can't figure out how to handle the dimming. An airplane flying through the night sky that looks like somebody is shining two spotlights on it. The TV can't decide where they should be so it just lights up the whole thing with a giant bloom for good measure. Daylight scene, coming down a sunlit mountainside in the early morning and one lone pine tree is just glowing while the soldiers are blooming.

Another issue is that so often in dark scenes the light reflecting off a person or object bleeds over into half the picture and it just looks bad. The 940c with it's 128 zones has none of these troubles so this tells me that Samsung should not be struggling when they have 480 zones to work with.

I honestly can't believe that they would roll out these TVs knowing they have issues like this. The amount of money and their flagship status.. it's pretty mind boggling.

Best Buy is arriving in 12 hours to pick up the Z and to be quite honest I'm having second thoughts about letting it go. I really want to keep the Samsung for its good qualities because when it's on a roll it is amazing. I just don't know that I feel comfortable trusting them to fix these issues. I certainly wasn't expecting this based on reviews of the 2018 q900 and initial hands on reviews like iMagic's.

I really wish there were some other owners that could throw in Lone Survivor and tell me what they see.
Wizziwig, GregLee and Panson like this.

post #70 of 490 Old 03-11-2019, 04:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked: 1415
Quote:
No issues with dark center/lighter edges or color fade. It's excellent in that regard. Those 2 issues drive me up a wall with the Z9D and are the only reasons I grabbed the q900.

I've spent the whole weekend going back and forth between these TVs. I've been sitting in front of them testing different media for about 13 hours straight today.

I still can't decide. The Sony's picture really strikes me as more natural-looking where the Samsung picture seems to pop more like an OLED...even in movie mode. The trouble I have run into is that I've seen so many issues with content tripping up the Samsung. For every Transformers:Last Knight scenario where the Q900 performance just takes it to the next level over the Z.. I run into a Lone Survivor where the Samsung can't seem to get it right.

Examples of the issues I've seen on Lone Survivor: a single star in the night sky with a blob of black rotating around it because the TV can't figure out how to handle the dimming. An airplane flying through the night sky that looks like somebody is shining two spotlights on it. The TV can't decide where they should be so it just lights up the whole thing with a giant bloom for good measure. Daylight scene, coming down a sunlit mountainside in the early morning and one lone pine tree is just glowing while the soldiers are blooming.

Another issue is that so often in dark scenes the light reflecting off a person or object bleeds over into half the picture and it just looks bad. The 940c with it's 128 zones has none of these troubles so this tells me that Samsung should not be struggling when they have 480 zones to work with.

I honestly can't believe that they would roll out these TVs knowing they have issues like this. The amount of money and their flagship status.. it's pretty mind boggling.

Best Buy is arriving in 12 hours to pick up the Z and to be quite honest I'm having second thoughts about letting it go. I really want to keep the Samsung for its good qualities because when it's on a roll it is amazing. I just don't know that I feel comfortable trusting them to fix these issues. I certainly wasn't expecting this based on reviews of the 2018 q900 and initial hands on reviews like iMagic's.

I really wish there were some other owners that could throw in Lone Survivor and tell me what they see.

Yikes! Tough decision ahead of you. What size screen is your Q900?

LG 77C8, Sony 75x940E, LG 65B7, LG 65EF9500, LG 55E6, LG 55UB8200, 2 TCL 49S515's
2 Apple 4K TVs, 2 LG UP970's, 2 Samsung UBD-K8500s, WD 4TB NAS
Nvidia Shield, Wii U, Playstation 3
post #71 of 490 Old 03-11-2019, 04:26 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1780 Post(s)
Liked: 3556
I am following this thread too: I need to replace a Sony 940D and the Q900RB is on my short list

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

post #72 of 490 Old 03-11-2019, 04:33 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 23
just couldn't justify paying the 7600 for this set the motion was worse to me then the Z9D which to me is very important it also had more blooming in hdr then the sony plus the horrible DSE i had it was the worst out of the 3 Z9D's i sent back till i got a passable one guess i will wait for the sony Z9G and just live now hope people get better sets then i did but overall i did not enjoy my purchase
post #73 of 490 Old 03-11-2019, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Haha, thanks. Like any good husband I listened to my wife and placed an order for the 75Q900RB. My current scheduled delivery date it 3/20. But from what I hear about Samsung's delivery partners I won't get my hopes up of them hitting that date.
Scrutinize the hell out of the unit when you receive it. I am returning mine as it has a small chip out of the screen and a 6” x 3” L shaped compression mark that is noticeable from off angle. The first shipment I had from Samsung had a much more obvious crack down the middle of the screen.

I’m not sure why Samsung has so many issues with delivering their products. I was really happy with the overall quality of my unit, but once seen these imperfections can’t be unseen and the TV is just too expensive to “deal with it”.
Panson likes this.
post #74 of 490 Old 03-11-2019, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

It's a 75. Had a buddy with the same Panasonic 820 that was willing to bring it over along with UHD BRs so we could run the same movies side by side. It's was a lot of fun even if frustrating.

He's still voting that I keep the Samsung based on it's strengths and let them work out the kinks.
Gillietalls likes this.

post #75 of 490 Old 03-11-2019, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked: 1415
Quote:
Originally Posted by inevitable1 View Post
Scrutinize the hell out of the unit when you receive it. I am returning mine as it has a small chip out of the screen and a 6” x 3” L shaped compression mark that is noticeable from off angle. The first shipment I had from Samsung had a much more obvious crack down the middle of the screen.

I’m not sure why Samsung has so many issues with delivering their products. I was really happy with the overall quality of my unit, but once seen these imperfections can’t be unseen and the TV is just too expensive to “deal with it”.

What's Samsung's return policy? How many times will they swap out a set?

LG 77C8, Sony 75x940E, LG 65B7, LG 65EF9500, LG 55E6, LG 55UB8200, 2 TCL 49S515's
2 Apple 4K TVs, 2 LG UP970's, 2 Samsung UBD-K8500s, WD 4TB NAS
Nvidia Shield, Wii U, Playstation 3
post #76 of 490 Old 03-11-2019, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillietalls View Post
What's Samsung's return policy? How many times will they swap out a set?

They will not exchange units - in my experience- granted I haven’t had a “panel quality” issue - mine have been damage from shipping.

Instead they refund you the cost of the purchase, and force you to go through the entire ordering ordeal again. So from here, i schedule a FedEx pickup of the TV, it gets shipped to their warehouse, takes them 3-5 business days to inventory it, then 7-15 business days to process the refund. Last time I had ordered on Nov 17, the broken unit was delivered Nov 29, and my refund was issued December 20th or thereabouts.
Gillietalls and Thrust-Bot like this.
post #77 of 490 Old 03-11-2019, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Well, I am now suddenly less excited about my impending shipment. That's a terrible process to go through. You would think that ordering through the manufacturer would be a better experience all around. I'll just keep my fingers crossed and really look over every inch of the TV when it arrives.
Panson likes this.

post #78 of 490 Old 03-11-2019, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsonia View Post
I went with the Q900 over the 4K for a few reasons. Upscaling to 8K. 4K movies in particular just looked better on the Q900 than they did on my Q9FN. Better colour. You have more colour information because in the space of 1 pixel on a 4K set you have 4 on an 8K. Antialiasing. Much better control of edges and jaggies around objects due to the pixel density. You can also increase sharpness more without getting barely any ringing effects/halos around objects. The biggest differnence is brightness. My previous Q900 would hit 3800 nits in Standard mode. This was a massive increase. Compare it to the Q90 4K set which hits 2100 in standard mode. Also with the new models your getting HDMI 2.1 aswell so more future proof.

It depends if all that is worth the price difference.

So glad you said you can see a difference in up-scaling. Wasn't sure that wasn't just a marketing ploy. That would be one of the key factors in my future decisions.
post #79 of 490 Old 03-11-2019, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I ordered my Q900 a few days, and am scheduled for delivery on the 19th. From what I seen about their direct shipping, it won't be the best experience. I guess only time will tell for sure though. I'm upgrading from the Samsung UN40H5500, so I am quite thrilled. From what I have seen this TV is top notch, and honestly, anything is better than what I have now at this point.
post #80 of 490 Old 03-12-2019, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Adding another update. I wanted to post some cellphone shots I took.

1 is showing both the Z9D and the Q900 and specifically a dark screen shot from the side on the Q900 (it does such a good job there..kudos Samsung) and 1 showing a more complex dark scene and the blooming I was seeing. Unfortunately this is a more mild instance.

Ignore the color.. my phone reversed the TV's and made the Z looked less warm when it's actually the opposite.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190312_064325_1552411543897.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	2.80 MB
ID:	2537900   Click image for larger version

Name:	download_20190312_080304_1552411566103.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	518.5 KB
ID:	2537902   Click image for larger version

Name:	download_20190312_080251_1552411579002.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	2537904   Click image for larger version

Name:	download_20190312_080245_1552411599298.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	2537906  

post #81 of 490 Old 03-12-2019, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:

1 is showing both the Z9D and the Q900 and specifically a dark screen shot from the side on the Q900 (it does such a good job there..kudos Samsung) and 1 showing a more complex dark scene and the blooming I was seeing. Unfortunately this is a more mild instance.

Ignore the color.. my phone reversed the TV's and made the Z looked less warm when it's actually the opposite.
That's from Netflix right? Anything with the Netflix aspect ratio with the small black bars had blooming on both the Q9FN and Q900 from 2018 so I would imagine that's not changed since its using the same amount of zones. It just seems to be the way the zones are setup behind the TV and are not suited for that aspect ratio.
post #82 of 490 Old 03-12-2019, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

One more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190311_122552_1552411817955.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	2.84 MB
ID:	2537908  

post #83 of 490 Old 03-12-2019, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsonia View Post
Quote:

That's from Netflix right? Anything with the Netflix aspect ratio with the small black bars had blooming on both the Q9FN and Q900 from 2018 so I would imagine that's not changed since its using the same amount of zones. It just seems to be the way the zones are setup behind the TV and are not suited for that aspect ratio.
Right.. but I'm not trying to show blooming in the bars. To be honest I don't notice it after years looking at Sony TVs lol. I was looking at how very comparable the TV's were in this scene. Unfortunately they are not as comparable in the gymnasium scenes among others which is a shame.

Last edited by GunmetalR56; 03-12-2019 at 11:04 AM.
post #84 of 490 Old 03-12-2019, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:

First image For zd9 or Q900R
post #85 of 490 Old 03-12-2019, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

All are the Q900 except for the side by side where the Q is on the right.

post #86 of 490 Old 03-12-2019, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 9
My 82” set just died while watching a movie. I’ve used it less than 6 hours. It turns on I can see the backlight flip on, then turns right off again.

Crap! Going to call Samsung
post #87 of 490 Old 03-12-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
One more.

unfortunately there is blooming in the weapon, Is it noticeable like the picture
post #88 of 490 Old 03-12-2019, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brho0m13 View Post
Quote:
One more.

unfortunately there is blooming in the weapon, Is it noticeable like the picture
Please don't think I'm trying to doom and gloom over this TV but yes.. it looks JUST like that. Unfortunately in most cases, what I was seeing all weekend was worse than that and it was so frustrating. When you see the tv pull off those scenes with Eleven in the upside down so fantastically.. then all this other dark content that is swamped with bloom. Not all dark content but a good percentage.

Subtitles are still blooming pretty heavily as well...at least on the set I have.

That said...

This TV steals the light canon title from the Z in my opinion. On bright pictures it is mind bogglingly good! The light flow through glass, gems and reflections off metal can be jaw dropping. I don't feel that the Z can truly keep up with the Q in this arena and I miss it now when watching familiar content on the Z.

Unfortunately, most shows/movies/games are eventually going to show you dark content and it can really fall apart...
GregLee and Panson like this.

post #89 of 490 Old 03-12-2019, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushisean1 View Post
My 82” set just died while watching a movie. I’ve used it less than 6 hours. It turns on I can see the backlight flip on, then turns right off again.

Crap! Going to call Samsung
Hope they get you squared away quickly!
Panson likes this.

post #90 of 490 Old 03-12-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brho0m13 View Post
Quote:
One more.

Please don't think I'm trying to doom and gloom over this TV but yes.. it looks JUST like that. Unfortunately in most cases, what I was seeing all weekend was worse than that and it was so frustrating. When you see the tv pull off those scenes with Eleven in the upside down so fantastically.. then all this other dark content that is swamped with bloom. Not all dark content but a good percentage.

Subtitles are still blooming pretty heavily as well...at least on the set I have.

That said...

This TV steals the light canon title from the Z in my opinion. On bright pictures it is mind bogglingly good! The light flow through glass, gems and reflections off metal can be jaw dropping. I don't feel that the Z can truly keep up with the Q in this arena and I miss it now when watching familiar content on the Z.

Unfortunately, most shows/movies/games are eventually going to show you dark content and it can really fall apart...

I think you mean it can be dazzling with dark scenes

But it can fall in some part of the picture In some scenes

The translation shows a very noticeable bloom and this unfortunately bad

They say that Samsung TVs in game mode local dimming isn't work Unfortunately

You can ignore the defects and enjoy the advantages only Enjoy, there is no TV without flaws

I have samsung f8000 and maybe i buy this TV to enjoy everything new

I Use translation in movie , Do you recommend me the Q900R

I think brightness is an advantage of this TV versus the OLED And perhaps some other advantages

and no burn in The long-term

Last edited by Brho0m13; 03-12-2019 at 01:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page