AVS Forum banner

2019 Samsung Q900 Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

239K views 2K replies 198 participants last post by  Tom Roper 
#1 ·
Long time lurker first time poster - Didn’t see this thread started so I figured I’d christen the forum...

In an effort to not jinx myself I waited until delivery day before posting this. Turns out AGS and my local shipper had other plans so a 9:00 to 1:00 shipping window has turned into “sometime between now and Friday the 8th at 5:00 pm” as if I have nothing better to do.

I’ve had a Panasonic 65 ZT60 for the last ~6 years and have been waiting to put a TV in my main living area.

Decided to go with LCD over OLED due to the environment and the content, and the 75” was the right size at the right time.

I’m most looking forward to testing the viewing angles vs previous years models, how the 8k conversion behaves (granted I’m not the best person to comment on this as the ZT60 is obviously not 4K) and of course to compare how the panel handles dark content vs. my plasma (which i still love and is going strong).

Hope to read recommendations about calibrations and usage from other forum owners!

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats. Im very curious to hear your impressions as I recently returned my Q900 2018 model because the 2019 version was coming out so soon and the 75 will also be the one im getting so your thoughts and impressions on it will be appreciated. One of the advantages it has over the Q90 (4K flagship) is brightness so im curious what you think about that especially when it comes to blooming control with it being one of the brightest sets available.

#4 ·
Experiences with AGS - Samsung’s shipper in the United States - vary greatly. I would highly recommend staying on them - call them once your tracking number is generated and sent to you via email by Samsung - and routinely follow up. Find out who their local distributor is and make sure they know what your delivery window is. often AGS does not relay this information to them.

My experiences have been all negative, however hopefully you’ll have a better local distributor than i do. You would think Samsung would treat their customers - particularly on such unit as the Q900 - with a little better care regarding shipping and handling, but unfortunately that has not been my experience.

#7 ·
My experiences have been all negative, however hopefully you’ll have a better local distributor than i do. You would think Samsung would treat their customers - particularly on such unit as the Q900 - with a little better care regarding shipping and handling, but unfortunately that has not been my experience.
I ordered from Best Buy, which is set up to deliver to Hawaii (with no special surcharge). My Q900RB is due a week from tomorrow (but I ordered back in January). BB has been good in the past about delivery, unboxing and setup.

#5 ·
That's funny. I was thinking of starting the thread but didn't want to jinx myself. I'm listed for Friday delivery..hope that doesn't turn into Monday delivery.

#6 ·
Congrats OP! Hope it's a great one, without any defects. One thing i will say though is make sure to find out who your local distributor is?! Also, i would ask if they gonna be using a two man team for delivery!

When Pilot delivered my 82Q8FN both times (i had to exchange it) they delivered it with only one man, and i had to help carry the sucker into my house! In the end they did refund me $299 for my troubles though. Just a heads up advice, and plz let us know how the unit turns out!

#10 ·
A few questions. When you get your Q900 can you check if all HDMI ports are 2.1 or if its just a single port. Also is there anyway to check if it can do 4K 120hz 4:4:4 without needing a HDMI 2.1 graphics card or is that impossible? Also while I know this is hopefull can you check if the Q900 does eArc which I would imagine it doesn't at the moment.

#17 ·
Does anyone know for 100% sure that the RB model has all the new features that were introduced to the 2019 4K TVs? I am super interested in getting this TV, and I don't want to screw myself. I am also curious to know if they shipped with HDMI 2.1 as they said they would be. There has been no official news on Samsung's website, and it is still giving the specs for the old 85" RA version. It just concerns me that it isn't officially listed on their site, but confirmed outside of their own site.

#19 ·
Until Q900RB's in all screen sizes are in hands of owners we won't know for sure. But, its a pretty safe bet the 2019 models will all have the 2019 upgrades. The HDMI 2.1 issue is muddy at best. What I'd like to know is if it will be a watered down version of HDMI 2.1 or not? Such as, will it have the full spec 48 Gbps or something less?

#20 ·
Yeah I'm most likely going for the Q950 myself. Was very lucky not to be stuck with last years model because I agree with what you said regarding the 2018 Q900 feels like a rush to get the first 8K model out even though they were planning on introducing an updated version with all the new tech a couple of months later. Im very curious if all HDMI inputs are 2.1 and as you said are they the full 48GB ones. That plus the new filter and wide viewing angels would be enough alone to make me go for this set.

#22 ·
Wow. AGS is really something else. I called them today to confirm my white glove delivery tomorrow. I got passed around to 3 people and was finally told that they only do white glove on Tuesday and Thursday?

I asked why I was allowed to choose Friday and why the email I received confirmed Friday white glove delivery. The answer was that they would "call" me on Friday to choose a delivery date.

WOW..

So, I politely asked to have it escalated and to forget the white glove and just deliver the thing to my door. Luckily they agreed to do that.

Now to start making the calls... surely free wings+beer will get me some help hauling it upstairs :p

#23 ·
Wow. AGS is really something else. I called them today to confirm my white glove delivery tomorrow. I got passed around to 3 people and was finally told that they only do white glove on Tuesday and Thursday?

I asked why I was allowed to choose Friday and why the email I received confirmed Friday white glove delivery. The answer was that they would "call" me on Friday to choose a delivery date.

WOW..

So, I politely asked to have it escalated and to forget the white glove and just deliver the thing to my door. Luckily they agreed to do that.

Now to start making the calls... surely free wings+beer will get me some help hauling it upstairs /forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif
Good to know. I have white glove scheduled for Monday on a Q90R. I will probably give them a call tomorrow to confirm.

#24 ·
I saw the demo of the 85" today, it was the Q900RA model, which I guess is the 2018 model. I asked some questions regarding e-Arc, model year etc., but since the tv was new, the salesperson went on to Samsung website to look for the info.

Anyways, in regards to the PQ - it is the sharpest looking LCD I've seen. Shadow details are fantastic, and there's depth to the image. I tried a few different modes: Natural was the best looking. Movie was a bit dull and Dynamic is a mode that I will never use.

The 85" is out of my budget, but certainly considering the 75". I'm waiting for LG E9 to be out and I'll decide between various options. After looking at this tv, I find it hard to justify going with a premium 4k LCD.

#26 ·
I ordered an 82” yesterday from Samsung direct, I live in SoCal. How long do they typically take to arrive? I’m reading horror stories about their delivery partner, hoping I get lucky. Best Buy has them in stock for pickup in 1 hour or next day delivery, would normally do that but I really wanted to get on the 2 year upgrade program Samsung is offering

#28 ·
Just got my unit set up in it’s temporary location. Watching “The Expanse” in 4K streamed over an AppleTV. I’m sitting about 8 feet from the screen.

First impressions - the viewing angles are truly remarkable, which is a relief for me as this is in my great room which has seating across the spectrum of viewing angles.

I do not see any trace of backlighting from any angle. I’m not super well versed on black crush or blooming, but on scenes in space with very bright helmet lighting I do not notice any blooming , yet can still see all of the detail and patterning on the very dark neck of the suits.

The way the panel eats reflections is remarkable. Coming from my ZT60 - which I love - but has noticeable glare issues, this TV does an amazing job , however it does it, stopping reflection. Again - really nice seeing as it’s in a room with lots of ambient light. I will say the reflections are more noticeable at severe viewing angle , but only during very dark scenes.

The unit is scorching fast through menus and the one remote is nice - however i am having some weird connectivity issues , probably due to poor spacing on the components as stuff is just kind of set up arbitrarily for now.

For the drawbacks - the opening/set up screen is pure white. I’m surprised Samsung chose this as you can notice DSE. I would not consider it bad, and I don’t notice it on the Penguins / Blue Jackets hockey game I’m switching back to regularly, but the upper left of my panel does seem to have this phenomenon. Not a huge deal to me, but I would say it’s there.

Attachments

#31 ·
Unfortunately I don’t have much time to play around tonight as I’ve got an exceptionally early work day tomorrow and the delivery was 90 minutes after the scheduled window (typical).

The ports on the one connect box are not labeled as 2.1 or standard HDMI. The ARC channel is not specified as eARC. If anyone has specifics on how to check further I’d be happy to check.

On a side note - looks to me like the 75” no gap wall mount will fit this unit. I’m going to order one from amazon and if it doesn’t work I’ll return it. On a side note my spouse is in love with the stand - which was an extreme surprise as she despises tv stands , so the aesthetic of that is real nice.

#33 ·
Great info. I was watching The Expanse as I read your update. That will be one of the first things I check out when mine arrives.

Glad you're having a positive experience!

Reactions: Kenbar
#37 ·
Ok. Mine is 30 minutes out. From there I have to wait on a friend to arrive so he can help me haul it up the stairs.

Fingers crossed.

#41 ·
Could you please let us know what’s the width distance of the feet from the inside position?

#40 ·
After reading all the horror stories of delivery companies for Samsung, Best Buy, etc I decided to go pick up my 82” Q900 myself.

I’m replacing a 2014 Samsung Curved 4K TV.

After turning it on, updating the firmware, and setting a few basic settings and watching for 45 min in an extremely bright room, here are my first impressions.

Note, I don’t know every proper setting to optimize this set and would welcome some feedback. I also don’t know what every abbreviation you guys use is but I’m learning.

1. Physical install was easy. The longest hang up I had was trying to find where the feet were for the TV. They are in a holder on the top center (I thought that was part of the wall mount)
2. Speaking of wall mounts, I was pleasantly surprised to find that for $10,000 I got one included. It’s FAR heavier duty than any wall mount I’d have used.
3. I turned auto motion settings to custom, and set both Judder and Blur to level 3. I don’t notice any soap opera effect which I’m usually really sensitive to.
4. It took me a while to get my Apple TV To work correctly. Setting it to match source settings for both Dynamic Range and Frame Rate.
5. I made sure all Eco settings were disabled

The screen is very bright, color is great, and the menu is FAST. Overall I’m really happy with how it looks. I’m not sure I’m $10,000 happy but so far I’ve only watched it in the middle of the day with a ton of ambient light.

I’d be happy to answer questions I can and send pics. I’ve got the evening to play with this.