• 2 Post By Kb Cool
  • 2 Post By PUNKem 733

post #1 of 20 Old 03-09-2019, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Lg 2019 nanocell

Ive been considering a 2019 qled samsung, but lack of earc is big for me as ill be gaming from xbox 1x. So i considered 2019 lg oled, but price and burn in are big concerns ( im afraid my younger kids or wife will leave tv on etc etc.) so next thought was waiting for tcl 8 series but that may be 6 months or more.
So now ive turned my attention to lg 2019 nanocell. Seems like it will check my boxes with allm, vrr, 120hz, and earc. I use bias lighting which should help with contrast. Is there any reason not to choose an lg nanocell? I know it didnt rate as highly as others on rtngs, but im not real videophile. Id like decent motion, bright colors and good gaming. Im coming from a samsung 2014-15 hu8550 for comparison. I think its been good tv no complaints about picture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-10-2019, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wheaton View Post
Ive been considering a 2019 qled samsung, but lack of earc is big for me as ill be gaming from xbox 1x. So i considered 2019 lg oled, but price and burn in are big concerns ( im afraid my younger kids or wife will leave tv on etc etc.) so next thought was waiting for tcl 8 series but that may be 6 months or more.
So now ive turned my attention to lg 2019 nanocell. Seems like it will check my boxes with allm, vrr, 120hz, and earc. I use bias lighting which should help with contrast. Is there any reason not to choose an lg nanocell? I know it didnt rate as highly as others on rtngs, but im not real videophile. Id like decent motion, bright colors and good gaming. Im coming from a samsung 2014-15 hu8550 for comparison. I think its been good tv no complaints about picture.
LG Nanocell check all the right boxes for me as well 4K 120Hz HDMI 2.1

But, they are not FALD BACKLIT so black levels will be quite poor.

My decision for 2019 will boil down to. Nintendo Switch, Xbox 360, and 1080p MacMini Hometheater PC, mostly old school Gaming and a MacMini PC. So I came to the realization that.

#1 . I own nothing that supports HDMI 2.1 or makes use of its features.
#2 . Cable TV At&t Uverse is just 1080p.
#3 . All of my equipment and consoles only use HDMI 2.0b max.
#4 . It won’t be until 2020 that RTX 3000 GPUs or Playstaion 5 comes out with 4K HDMI 2.1 Blu-ray support.

So I need a cheap TCL or Vizio 2019 4K Quantum Dot TV for now.
TechoGeek and Scarriere like this.
post #3 of 20 Old 03-10-2019, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 5150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wheaton View Post
The biggest negative with an LG IPS-LED/LCD will be modest black levels and contrast, but if you use a bias light, this should be much less apparent and it could be a good fit for you...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 03-11-2019, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I feel like everyone should skip 2019 for next year...Summer Olympics 2020, new Xbox and Sony flagship consoles both release in 2020
post #5 of 20 Old 03-13-2019, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold View Post
LG Nanocell check all the right boxes for me as well 4K 120Hz HDMI 2.1

But, they are not FALD BACKLIT so black levels will be quite poor.
The LG SM9x models are FALD models ...
hingerson likes this.
post #6 of 20 Old 03-13-2019, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I would just keep using the Samsung HU. Before, I downgraded to a LG nano cell. Serious! Stay far away from LG nanocell unless your a gluten for punishment. HDR isn't all "that" anyways. Some stuff looks better in SDR too.
post #7 of 20 Old 03-13-2019, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This bizarre online techbro dislike of LG has no basis in the real world I can find. Professional reviews of the 2018 FALD models are excellent. No they do not have deepest black levels, but last I checked this isn't a home theater forum. Only someone with a dedicated dark room would have an issue. I have the SK9000 and my only gripe is it requires calibration out the box. Exception being the Technicolor expert mode, which with some tweaking produced excellent results- just as Andrew Robinson at htreview stated in his review. Aside from that, it has a smooth easy OS, sound quality to external outputs are excellent, and all my online research showed a lot of poo poohing from people who either never owned one or just parroting rtings review.

Know what I didn't find and ultimately convinced me to get it? Complaints about software and defects. Samsung, Vizio, POS TCL, even some Sony, ALL have complaints about these issues.

Compared to my TCL P607, the LG black levels in tech expert are almost as good. And the prices on SK have plummeted...
post #8 of 20 Old 03-13-2019, 08:15 PM

Actually rtings give the LG nano cell too high of a score. Should be alot lower as there is no getting around it's poor contrast ratio. Point is he already has a good tv w/ 3d that according to RTing's was the best lcd they tested in 2014. That's like me getting rid of my 2016 Z9D for a new LG nano cell. Not happening and with that said, "newer isn't always better".
post #9 of 20 Old 03-14-2019, 03:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kb Cool View Post
Actually rtings give the LG nano cell too high of a score. Should be alot lower as there is no getting around it's poor contrast ratio. Point is he already has a good tv w/ 3d that according to RTing's was the best lcd they tested in 2014. That's like me getting rid of my 2016 Z9D for a new LG nano cell. Not happening and with that said, "newer isn't always better".
You shouldn't pile all the models on one heap. 'The LG nano cell', which model are you talking about precisely? The SK9500 can get very good black levels and contrast with dimming on high (but comes at a cost of losing detail)
The new SM9x models are also getting HDMI 2.1 with all the VRR, ALLM, etc. features that he mentioned could be used with his One X (and future consoles). But indeed you could also wait it out another year for other brands and models to get HDMI 2.1 ...
post #10 of 20 Old 03-14-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithras1 View Post
You shouldn't pile all the models on one heap. 'The LG nano cell', which model are you talking about precisely? The SK9500 can get very good black levels and contrast with dimming on high (but comes at a cost of losing detail)
The new SM9x models are also getting HDMI 2.1 with all the VRR, ALLM, etc. features that he mentioned could be used with his One X (and future consoles). But indeed you could also wait it out another year for other brands and models to get HDMI 2.1 ...

Well, I only have real life experience with a LG 65" sj8500. Tv was okay in the daylight. But. as soon as nightfall came the black bars went gray and the whole picture just looked washed out. Sure the OS and remote was great. But, in the end. I returned it and to be honest. I think LG should be banned from selling IPS televisions. Their Jekyll and Hyde (day and night) performance was just too much for me and I would never recommend anyone buy one, Ever!!!!
Rudy1 and Sonyboy like this.
post #11 of 20 Old 03-14-2019, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 234
I can understand it not being mainstream and suffering in the movie segment of entertainment

BUT

I honestly thought that 3D was going to explode and become big with gamers, especially when Sony made more of a committed effort to it by releasing their Sony 3D monitor display, and games that were 3D enabled but it just never took off for whatever reason and gamers just never gave it a chance. Games more so than movies felt like 3D would’ve shined the most but well....... never did at all.

Wonder why...
post #12 of 20 Old 03-23-2019, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by the7mcs View Post
I can understand it not being mainstream and suffering in the movie segment of entertainment

BUT

I honestly thought that 3D was going to explode and become big with gamers, especially when Sony made more of a committed effort to it by releasing their Sony 3D monitor display, and games that were 3D enabled but it just never took off for whatever reason and gamers just never gave it a chance. Games more so than movies felt like 3D would’ve shined the most but well....... never did at all.

Wonder why...

3D had real hits to resolution and/or brightness depending on the technology used. And those active LCD 3D glasses SUCK!!! So heavy, need charging, expensive. I hate them on my Sony projector.

I suspect we will see 3D on displays again when they need something else to upsell us on. Hopefully with passive glasses and no big hits to brightness or sharpness. I suspect it will be a long time from now.

Or, (and this applies especially to gaming) VR headsets become so comfortable and pump out such great images and 3D that huge TVs no longer make sense.
post #13 of 20 Old 03-23-2019, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by goke313 View Post
I feel like everyone should skip 2019 for next year...Summer Olympics 2020, new Xbox and Sony flagship consoles both release in 2020
This. I just canceled an order on a new Sony set. I’m waiting. IMAX enhanced and 2.1 are about here. Next year should see a plethora of specs and new chit. Might as well hit the pause button when spending so much $.
post #14 of 20 Old 03-27-2019, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuliu View Post
This bizarre online techbro dislike of LG has no basis in the real world I can find. Professional reviews of the 2018 FALD models are excellent. No they do not have deepest black levels, but last I checked this isn't a home theater forum. Only someone with a dedicated dark room would have an issue. I have the SK9000 and my only gripe is it requires calibration out the box. Exception being the Technicolor expert mode, which with some tweaking produced excellent results- just as Andrew Robinson at htreview stated in his review. Aside from that, it has a smooth easy OS, sound quality to external outputs are excellent, and all my online research showed a lot of poo poohing from people who either never owned one or just parroting rtings review.

Know what I didn't find and ultimately convinced me to get it? Complaints about software and defects. Samsung, Vizio, POS TCL, even some Sony, ALL have complaints about these issues.

Compared to my TCL P607, the LG black levels in tech expert are almost as good. And the prices on SK have plummeted...
Agree..just ordered the 2018 lg 65sk9500 for a close out price of $1259.00 , no tax at Amazon. Fald pro with 96 zones. Also happy with 2016 65uh8500 moving to master bedroom. Also have the only "super nanocell" with rgbw the 2017 60sj800..really brighter than the 65sj8500/9500 due to the extra white pixel. So, with all the criticism of rgbw panels I see no difference except brighter panel.
post #15 of 20 Old 03-28-2019, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I was thinking the same thing as you, also using One X and want VRR and HDMI 2.1 for eARC. I think I’m going to end up going with a Q70 and optical DTS out just based off the contrast and brightness difference though, I don’t have a lot of faith these LG IPS panels are going to look that great.
post #16 of 20 Old 06-11-2019, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 8
hi just found this on google - thought I would chime in

I currently own an LG C7P OLED 65" for my livingroom/home theater.
We had a crappy TCL 42" in our bedroom which.... died (thank gd)
Decided to stick under $1K for the bedroom and go to a 50" display.
A couple of things:
1- OLED burn in risk is bull with real world usage. You will be fine - there are so many things the TV does to prevent it, that it just won't happen.
2- hdmi 2.1 is cool and all, but it costs too much right now. We decided on getting an LG NanoCell 8600. It looked better than the sony x900f, and it performed essentially as well as mid range QLED.
3- HDR DOES MATTER. So does dolby vision. not a gimmick; Samsung can shove it.
4- I was completely surprised by the color performance of the nanocell. It's really terrific and the motion is great too
5-even without the full array (only the 9000 series has that), TV is fantastic
6-wife is happy because she gets another magic remote
7- NOTHING is better than LG built-in WebOS. I personally even prefer it over roku, regardless of the fact that roku has a billion apps and webOS...does not

LG OLED C7P 65" | HAMLITE LED TV Ambient Backlight
Denon X2500H
Definitive Technology BP9020 | Definitive Technology CS9040
NHT Audio SuperZero 2.1 | Amphony Wireless Speaker Kit Model 1800
XBox One X | Google Chromecast
post #17 of 20 Old 06-11-2019, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoni Algazi View Post

A couple of things:
1- OLED burn in risk is bull with real world usage. You will be fine - there are so many things the TV does to prevent it, that it just won't happen.
2- hdmi 2.1 is cool and all, but it costs too much right now. We decided on getting an LG NanoCell 8600. It looked better than the sony x900f, and it performed essentially as well as mid range QLED.
4- I was completely surprised by the color performance of the nanocell. It's really terrific and the motion is great too
7- NOTHING is better than LG built-in WebOS. I personally even prefer it over roku, regardless of the fact that roku has a billion apps and webOS...does not
Agreed On all account, If the LG SM9000 drops in price I may go for it also. It bother me that its not a True 10-bit Panel just 8-bit with Dithering.
post #18 of 20 Old 06-11-2019, 04:28 PM

Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoni Algazi View Post

A couple of things:
To say burn in "just" won't happen is bad info to be tossing out.
jddesigned and clskinsfan like this.
post #19 of 20 Old 10-22-2019, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PUNKem 733 View Post
To say burn in "just" won't happen is bad info to be tossing out.
I have to worry about burn-in. My wife and I each manage our own retirement accounts. I retired 16 years ago. She took early retirement 5 years ago. So, BloombergTV is on 3-8 hours/day. 5 days/week. That means broad side bar plus a crawl. Well-defined black bars for boundaries.

Burn-in sounds likely enough with something like that - and since the living room is my sports/movie/etc. evening entertainment, I don't need burn-in.
post #20 of 20 Old 12-24-2019, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just took home the 65SM9000 . Picture is great . wondering if and how folks tweaked the settings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page