2019 Samsung Q70R QLED Owner's Thread - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 158Likes

post #301 of 635 Old 06-24-2019, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenSoldier View Post
Does anyone's TV turn itself on automatically? My 49-inch Q70R attempts to connect to my phone via Bluetooth, it turns the TV without me doing anything. After the TV is on, it says its disconnecting from my phone. This occurs even while Bluetooth is turned off on my phone. Also, I have disabled Anynet on the TV.

Samsung is coming Wednesday to attempt to repair TV. However, I am considering just returning it for a Sony X900F as my 65 inch TV does it occasionally as well. I reset the TV and it stopped turning on by itself for a while, but then it started back after a few days.

How does this TV compare to 900F? I am a first time home buyer and want the best cost-effective TV for my master bedroom and great room.

Thanks
Check out Rtngs.com - there you can see reviews for each set and there's also
the ability to do a side-by-side comparison.
HeavenSoldier likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 635 Old 06-24-2019, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnellKrell View Post
Check out Rtngs.com - there you can see reviews for each set and there's also
the ability to do a side-by-side comparison.
Thanks.
post #303 of 635 Old 06-24-2019, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Correction: Rtings.com

SnellKrell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 635 Old 06-25-2019, 03:19 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I was set on the Q70 until I saw the 900F. The 900F is a much better set and almost everyone will agree with that. These are not super high end TV's but the 900F is indeed much better than the Q70 IMO and you will find many concur. Ask almost any store what is the best 49" right now and undoubtedly they shall reply the 900F. As you have witnessed the Q70 is plagued with many issues and the 900F just has a much better picture anyways IMO. However again, many concur as well as almost all sales people. Hope that helps your decision.
post #305 of 635 Old 06-25-2019, 04:18 AM

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriTon464 View Post
I was set on the Q70 until I saw the 900F. The 900F is a much better set and almost everyone will agree with that. These are not super high end TV's but the 900F is indeed much better than the Q70 IMO and you will find many concur. Ask almost any store what is the best 49" right now and undoubtedly they shall reply the 900F. As you have witnessed the Q70 is plagued with many issues and the 900F just has a much better picture anyways IMO. However again, many concur as well as almost all sales people. Hope that helps your decision.
Rtings' comparison has the Q70 having the advantage in several areas. And I just saw the 900F and Q70 beside each other at Best Buy this past weekend and they're both pretty impressive. The 85" 850G also caught my eye because of the price, but Rtings doesn't have a breakdown for that TV yet.

The extra 3" the 85" 900F has over the 82" Q70 isn't worth an extra $500, to me. Not when I play video games and the Samsung Q70 performs better. The 82" Q70 is possibly the TV I'm going to grab.
post #306 of 635 Old 06-25-2019, 04:43 AM

Spewdom, your post is all messed up. I meant the 49". For the same price or less I and many others feel the 900F is much better. I do not know anything about the 85". For 85" I would look at a better TV like OLED if you can afford it.
post #307 of 635 Old 06-25-2019, 05:01 AM

Strange about Rtings. The evaluation numbers change depending what TV's you compare. If you compare a lesser one to a better one the better one gets better numbers(higher). if you compare a better onne to a lesser one the numbers on the lesser one actually change to much worse for the lesser one! How odd. Not sure you can trust them. For instance, compare JS9000 to Vizio M series the JS9000 gets higher numbers. Then if you compare a 900F to the JS9000 the numbers actually change in favor of the 900F! I do not mean it is just better, the numbers do not stay the same! Further explained say the JS9000 compared to the Vizio M gets 8.5 on something. Compare the JS9000 to the 900F and the JS900 then gets 3.5 on the same item! Is this how it is supposed to be? I would think their numbers were universal across the board. Unless I am misunderstanding. Is it showing which specific model is stronger or is it just a number from the original tests? It can't be because the numbers change in favor of the better TV. It must be an actual comparison between models and not a "static" comparison across the board? I thought it compared apples and apples. Not apples and oranges if you understand what I am saying. The numbers I thought should stay the same regardless of what sets you compare? All I can guess it is a comparison of actual specific models and not just a general non deviating comparison? Nonetheless it is interesting how well the JS9000 holds up today. Heck, it was a $3,299 TV. Although compared to many of todays $1,000 TV's they fair somewhat better but not drastically. Where the JS9000 is lacking is local dimming as it is edgelit. I am not stating actual pricing but giving MSRP figures. I hope that is okay here. I am not sure what Rtings actual comparison methodology is though?
post #308 of 635 Old 06-25-2019, 07:06 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Strange about Rtings. The evaluation numbers change depending what TV's you compare. If you compare a lesser one to a better one the better one gets better numbers(higher). if you compare a better onne to a lesser one the numbers on the lesser one actually change to much worse for the lesser one! How odd. Not sure you can trust them. For instance, compare JS9000 to Vizio M series the JS9000 gets higher numbers. Then if you compare a 900F to the JS9000 the numbers actually change in favor of the 900F! I do not mean it is just better, the numbers do not stay the same! Further explained say the JS9000 compared to the Vizio M gets 8.5 on something. Compare the JS9000 to the 900F and the JS900 then gets 3.5 on the same item! Is this how it is supposed to be? I would think their numbers were universal across the board. Unless I am misunderstanding. Is it showing which specific model is stronger or is it just a number from the original tests? It can't be because the numbers change in favor of the better TV. It must be an actual comparison between models and not a "static" comparison across the board? I thought it compared apples and apples. Not apples and oranges if you understand what I am saying. The numbers I thought should stay the same regardless of what sets you compare? All I can guess it is a comparison of actual specific models and not just a general non deviating comparison? Nonetheless it is interesting how well the JS9000 holds up today. Heck, it was a $3,299 TV. Although compared to many of todays $1,000 TV's they fair somewhat better but not drastically. Where the JS9000 is lacking is local dimming as it is edgelit. I am not stating actual pricing but giving MSRP figures. I hope that is okay here. I am not sure what Rtings actual comparison methodology is though?

Daniel from RTINGS here.

This is definitely confusing behavior, and something we need to improve in the future!
We test each product on a fixed test bench, so that all products tested on the same test bench are directly comparable. For TVs, we usually update our test bench every year. When we do so, we also retest all of the TVs in our lab, and then continue to use the same test bench to test new products. This means that results for TVs can be compared across years, but only if they were tested on the same test bench.
Usually only 1/5th of the tests change with a new test bench though, so even if TVs aren't on the same test bench some comparison is still useful. Our comparison tool takes advantage of this by 'converting' results from one test bench to another. To do so, it applies new weightings or score curves to old results. This results in the confusing behavior where the comparison tool shows 'converted' results, while the review shows the results of the test bench the product was tested on. All measurement data is the same, but scores are very different. The top of the compare tool also only highlights the most significant differences, so make sure you scroll down the page to see the full comparison!

The JS9000 is still a very good TV. It has a good anti-reflective coating and handles motion very well with a fast response time. It has low input lag for gaming (still comparable to new models) and a wide color gamut (similar to the Q70R from this year).
Depending on what you care about, there are definitely improvements you can get though. TVs have been getting brighter, which can help HDR content to pop. Also, full-array local dimming allows for deeper dark scenes when viewed in the dark. The Q80R and Q90R also have the best anti-reflective coating we've seen which definitely makes a difference for a bright room.
post #309 of 635 Old 06-25-2019, 07:59 AM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Now, I will add that I have a 65inch Q70R in my great room and it looks amazing! It's blazing fast and virtually no lag. I will keep it there. I just need a 49 inch one in my bedroom and am considering the 900F. The best buy representative made an interesting point, why not buy the Sony 55inch 950G? It's the newer model and a few inches bigger. I do not want a huge TV in my bedroom so hopefully 55inch will not be too big. Any reason why I should select 900F versus newer 950G?

Also, TriTon, I am curious what you thought about this review of Sony TV's. youtube.com/watch?v=o90OAjES8v0 If you do not want to click the link, goto Youtube and type: Why I Stopped Recommending Sony| Ep.571. The reviewer basically is recommending a Samsung TV offering a perspective on why he no longer recommends Sony. Too many viewpoints on these TV's. I just need a TV for movies/live TV (especially sports). I think I will just buy a TV and call it a day Thanks again for your assistance.
srkmish likes this.
post #310 of 635 Old 06-25-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Spewdom, your post is all messed up. I meant the 49". For the same price or less I and many others feel the 900F is much better. I do not know anything about the 85". For 85" I would look at a better TV like OLED if you can afford it.
Something on AVS's side is messed up with phones. I've been posting from a phone for years and now the site messes up words. I had to get on my laptop to see what it looked like. I'll probably post less now (is that possible?) because it's much faster browsing and posting from a phone over even a laptop.
post #311 of 635 Old 06-25-2019, 08:47 PM

thank you DanielOKeeffe. that explains it to me.
HeavenSoldier, I think the usual sitting distances recommended are nuts. to me a 55" is for a room like 25'x20'. It is huge in a bedroom. I think the 900F is a better 49" than the Q70 but 55" is too big unless your bedroom is huge. that is just my personal feeling. yours may differ and that is fine as well. The 950G is a much better TV than the 900F though. It is considerably physically larger though. I do not like the TV to be the thing that stands out.
post #312 of 635 Old 06-26-2019, 03:13 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Really?

Here Q70R vs X900F side by side with both of them Rtings settings.

Especially go to 35th second and decide which is better.

I think there is no need to say which is which but Q70R is on the left with better contrast, local dimming, sharper image with vibrant colors.

WRXpilot and Cuthalu like this.

Last edited by badcatsclaws; 06-26-2019 at 03:16 AM.
post #313 of 635 Old 06-26-2019, 05:38 AM

I know but almost everyone says the 900F. I think just because it is brighter. Overall I would really personally say the Q70 is somewhat better but I got what everyone said to.
post #314 of 635 Old 06-26-2019, 06:55 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
I know but almost everyone says the 900F. I think just because it is brighter. Overall I would really personally say the Q70 is somewhat better but I got what everyone said to.
The Q70 R suffers a bit of brightness but the brightness of the X900F leads to clip some parts of the image such as for example the edges of objects. From the video you can see that even if the color is brighter it loses color while on the Q70R it is less bright but with more contrast.
The problem should be much more evident on Oleds than on the Q70R but we always tend to praise OLEDs as if they were superior in everything ...
Apart from this I would not consider neither the Q70R superior to Sony and viceversa. It depends on taste but I have read that the Sony X900F suffers from blooming like the brother X950G (white bar)
Thrust-Bot likes this.
post #315 of 635 Old 06-27-2019, 12:12 AM

I had a serious question. Is the PQ on the Q70 almost as good as an entry level OLED? I am afraid to get an OLED because I watch the news a lot and my DVR screen saver stinks.
post #316 of 635 Old 06-27-2019, 12:30 PM

Looked for myself. The Q70 is indeed very close to a top of the line QLED until you see a black screen. The QLED is also somewhat sharper but they had them all torched. QLED does have drawbacks such as burn in and bad stuttering on slow moving scenes. The Q70 will also get much brighter. As I had said everyone recommend the 900F. I feel the Q70 is better. I do not have room for a 55" anyways so the point is moot for me regardless. The Q70 is a fine TV. I brought back the 900F and picked up the Q70. After calibration with a Spyder I feel it would meet the needs of all but the most demanding connoisseur. However they are making these cheaper and cheaper. The QLED have a wallwart and the OLED have a captive power cord. No more use for my $$$ Audioquest power cable but I doubt that matters anyways. I know we cannot discuss pricing but it does not matter because lets just say I paid literally 85% off MSRP. This is a gift from the store due to my family having spent tens of millions there and the untimely death of my current TV also purchased there. Other people are probably not going to get such a deal so do not even bother asking for it. Nonetheless for literally nothing I cannot complain. That is the end of the story for me. I am satisfied with it and it is a keeper for me. Nicely it also weighs next to nothing. Which also may speak to them cheapening them. Who knows how long it lasts but for what I paid I consider it disposable. Now If I can just find somewhere to dump the dead JS9000 48". Many may think I am a jerk but it is what it is.

Edit: First of all thank you for liking it. I felt like I was being a jerk but I was just being honest. I can see how this would offend some people though.
That being said, amazingly the Q70 outright beats the Q900 in some very important areas to me. For instance the stutter on the Q900 is almost as bad as an OLED which really annoys me. There are a few other important key areas where it beats the Q900 as well. The Q900 only scores .2 points higher on Rtings which I do not consider a big deal. In the store, unless in native 8K the picture is very similar and even brighter! I would say even if you do pay full price for this, this is the best value TV out right now. It comes very close to QLED except in the deepest black backgrounds and will probably never suffer image retention in it's lifetime. My watching constantly stations with banners is a big no-no for QLED. As I mentioned I did not have room for 55" regardless so it does not mater to me either way. This thing is so good you would only know another $$$ TV is better if they were side by side. I personally highly recommend this. YMMV of course though. The 900F is similar but per Rtings I agree overall the Q70 slightly edges it out. It gets plenty bright enough. Much brighter than any QLED IMO. I am most certainly keeping this. Even if I had paid full price I would do so as well.
Chuck666 likes this.

Last edited by TriTon464; 06-28-2019 at 08:57 AM.
post #317 of 635 Old 06-28-2019, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 162
I ended up buying the 85" 900f. I have a 14 foot viewing distance.So size is critical I will move the Sammy 78JS8600 to the bedroom. The Sony has a better picture than the Samsung. The Sony has better relection handling, deeper blacks and the motion is better. The Samsung is calibration is really dialed in. I am not there yet with the Sony. Finally, the Sony was way cheaper than 85Q70R.
srkmish likes this.
post #318 of 635 Old 06-29-2019, 05:27 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Will get my GQ82Q70R in Germany today. There was a nice deal to get back the VAT, so it is just 2918€. I think i will tinker with HCFR to calibrate again. What display type i have to choose?

Refresh Display or Non-Refresh Display?

LG 65B7D OLED, Denon X1300W AVR, Teufel 5.1.2 Theater 500 Set (2017) + Teufel Reflekt, LG UP970 UHD Player, Apple TV 4K
post #319 of 635 Old 06-29-2019, 10:46 AM

I did say some may like the 900F better. They are similar competing sets. Personal choice. I just took the Q70, it was a no brainer because they offered that one as a "gift" to me for my family's loyalty to the store and my TV died 4 days after the extended warranty ended. I guess they might have more money into the Sony I am not sure. Man, Euro is harsh. I love to go to Germany, France, Italy ETC. but a darn cup of coffee is $13USD there!
post #320 of 635 Old 06-30-2019, 03:29 PM

Got a great deal on the 82" Q70 and currently waiting for it to ship. It's been a long time looking at TVs (their ratings, pros and cons) and the prices I was willing to pay to jump into 4K HDR. Going to be a huge step up from my 55" 1080p Vizio.
I have my 4K Denon AVR, 4K Blu-ray player (Xbox One X) and some 4K Blu-rays ready to go!
post #321 of 635 Old 06-30-2019, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
2019 Samsung Q70R QLED Owner's Thread

Congratulations. Build up my 82" on the weekend and I am very satisfied. 1st I had some problems with Samsungs different profiles. The HDR visuals are good enough to watch, often very close to my OLED. Black patterns aren't crushed anymore, VRR support and the big size for a low price did convince me to leave my B7 OLED.

Did a 2P White Balance calibration with my iDisplay Pro and HCFR (Non Refresh Display, RG Phosphor that was recommended by Ted in an other thread) and now I am very pleased with the results in Movie Mode. It's a monster in the living room.

If you coming from 55 SDR 1080p this is not a step up, this is a marathon in steps. ;-)
Spewdom likes this.
post #322 of 635 Old 07-03-2019, 01:14 AM

I would honestly not say this is any better than the(dead) JS9000 it replaced. However my source is a dish hopper. It seems to flicker but I do not really notice it unless I concentrate on it. I did calibrate it with a puck.

Does anyone know how to get into the service menu? It would probably be beneficial to turn some things off.
post #323 of 635 Old 07-03-2019, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently got the 82" as a replacement for a 65" JS9000 as our new house has a much bigger room. I was hoping for a decent bump in PQ due to backlit vs. edge lit plus whatever incremental improvements have been made in 4 years.

I did turn off all the image/motion enhancement stuff and ambient light detection (except for contrast enhancer in some cases which I note below)

Unfortunately, I am pretty underwhelmed. Other than the size, I prefer the JS9000 in basically every way. The Q70 is significantly less bright. When in SDR, I kept the JS9000 at 50% backlight. It automatically goes to 100% backlight for HDR and it can appear almost blinding. The Q70 is set to 100% backlight at all times, and while acceptable, it's on the edge of feeling just a bit too dim, and there's no headroom left. I have to turn the contrast enhancer to high to achieve enough brightness in certain situations (certain video games, and some movies if there is any ambient light in the room), which comes with its own set of problems.

Also, there is much more color vibrancy on the JS9000. Turning up the color setting on the Q70 to add vibrancy just starts looking artificial, where the JS9000 has strong vibrant colors that simply look good without mucking with the color settings at all.

Finally, there are some issues with the backlighting. First, there is strong bloom from subtitles that is more apparent than on the JS9000. I accepted it on that set because of being edge lit, but I didn't anticipate seeing this on the Q70. Second, there are a few visible vertical bars from the backlight strips that are apparent when playing video games in scenes with uniform color backgrounds. It's enough to be distracting, and knowing where they are you can make them out almost any time if you look for them.

I'm not saying the set is bad, but it a disappointing "upgrade". If not for the size, I would return it and keep the JS9000.

On the plus side, the super low input lag is great for gaming, and game mode on the Q70 has a far less detrimental effect on PQ than it does on the JS9000 - on that set the colors lose all the vibrancy that I love most about it in the first place.
post #324 of 635 Old 07-03-2019, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
2019 Samsung Q70R QLED Owner's Thread

100% Backlight all the time? You must sit near a stadion light that lights up your room. Ok, I am coming from OLED that can't get very bright, so this Q70 is an improvement for me.

Can't you make your room darker? My SDR Backlight is set 17 to 24 and also that values can be too bright in a complete dark room.
post #325 of 635 Old 07-05-2019, 06:38 AM

I am 25 feet from my 49" and it is fine with me. However go figure I cannot tell the difference between 4k and 1080P. So I will certainly not be missing 8K. It is pretty unlikely they make an 8K 49" set ever anyways. I take back what I had said. This is much better than the JS9000 that died. This Tv is absolutely fine with me. I am not that picky. One may prefer the 900F but that is just personal choice. My set is calibrated with a puck and backlight is on 12! It is plenty bright for me but the room is blacked out 24/7. This is a fine Tv IMO. Considering I got it for nothing I am very pleased with it. I can't fit a 55" in my cabinet and then I would wait for MicroLED anyways. I am very pleased with this, especially since it was sort of a "gift".
post #326 of 635 Old 07-05-2019, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I am not happy with the brightness of my Q70R 75” when in HDR mode.
Specular highlights don’t pop even with local dimming in high, and yes backlight and contrast is at max automatically.
I am returning it but wondering if the Q80r will be bright enough?
post #327 of 635 Old 07-05-2019, 05:17 PM

Geez, My backlight is only on 12 and it is plenty bright for me. I guess everyone is different about that.
badcatsclaws likes this.
post #328 of 635 Old 07-05-2019, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Geez, My backlight is only on 12 and it is plenty bright for me. I guess everyone is different about that.
SDR is definitely bright enough it’s only HDR that is “dull” looking. I had to keep checking to see if HDR was on.
post #329 of 635 Old 07-05-2019, 07:18 PM

No, I meant on 12 with HDR!

Weird thing. It is fully hardware calibrated. sometimes scenes with very vibrant colors look kind of "exaggerated". Is that just the way this set is? Another weird thing, the JS9000 could not display Red! This one certainly can.
post #330 of 635 Old 07-05-2019, 07:31 PM

I'm very happy with my 82" Q70. I run my PS4 Pro and Xbox One X through my Denon 4400 AVR and use the apps on those devices, and everything looks great. I set Contrast Enhancer to Low because Off is slightly dim for my tastes and High makes some things look a tad unnatural. My only real negative of the TV is that it could use more local dimming zones because while the TV does a great job with black levels, sometimes you'll see the screen light up some in areas around text or objects with all lights off (like the beginning Netflix logo). There is no blooming or light bleed onto black bars when watching movies and that's great. I watched the John Wick: Chapter 2 4K Blu-ray and it looked amazing. The increase in resolution is great (coming from 1080p), but HDR is where it's at! I lucked out and didn't get too much noticeable DSE, but it is there. No worse than the 1080p Vizio it replaced. Oh, and the scale of everything now. Good lord, watching movies and playing video games on an 82" TV vs 55" wows me the most. Followed by HDR and then the 4K res. So far: satisfied with my purchase!

Quote:
I am 25 feet from my 49" and it is fine with me. However go figure I cannot tell the difference between 4k and 1080P.
That's way too far for a 49" TV. I'm 12' from an 82" and can easily tell the difference between 1080p and 4K.

Last edited by Spewdom; 07-05-2019 at 07:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page