2019 Samsung Q70R QLED Owner's Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 141Likes

post #361 of 531 Old 07-17-2019, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is anyone facing issues with Shield TV at 4k 59.94 and 60hz resolutions with the 82" Q70R model? My set keeps cycling through the HDMI handshake and cannot get a stable lock on.
Everything is fine when I set the shield tv to 1080p 60hz though. What gives?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 531 Old 07-18-2019, 12:02 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I am having no issue with the shield on the 49" but cannot speak for the 82". Should be the same though. The shield is very tricky with settings. It must be some setting. I suggest not calling their tech support however as they are nearly completely useless. Try to search this, and other forums. At first I had all kinds of problems but not the one you speak of to my recollection. I had to change many settings. It was very difficult to figure out with (lack) of technical support from Nvidia mind you. That is honestly a shame IMO. They really need to step it up. they escalated one question to level 2 a week ago and I have yet to hear from them. They honestly suck IMO. YMMV hopefully.
I would not upgrade from last years model. 3 years on a TV is a major upgrade IMO.
I would personally pick the Q70 over the 900F but YMMV. They are direct competitors. Unless you are speaking of the 49" Q70 in which case my personal feeling is that it will "blow away" The 49" 900F.

So today I got the 55" Q900R and hardware calibrated it. Save for native 8K as I had originally concurred the 49" Q70 is considerably better. YMMY on that though, Although at Rtiings the larger Q70 scored considerably higher on "movies" than the Q900R. the 49"Q70 is considerably better than the larger Q70's. So you do the math. I have used my own eyeballs to derive this conclusion.

I have my brightness at zero.
The backlight is on 4!
The local dimming is on high.
This is for both HDR and SDR.
I feel that this set is very bright and the 900F is even brighter.
Of course the room is 100% blacked out. It is the master bedroom but we just prefer that. Very high quality artificial daylight lightning with 99.6% CRI Is better to us than true daylight the few times we require it.
As I have mentioned I do not see the backlight "blooming" whatsoever on the 49" whereas it most certainly does on the 82". It appears they actually packed the same number of LED's of the 82" into the 49" but the same amount of "zones". So in that regard it shall perform sort of more like a Q9R or Q900R. Only on the 49". This is not just speculation but per data from hardware calibration. I have a highly advanced calibration device.,

Also putting these TV's on a high end power conditioner with a high end power cord and hardware calibrating them will make a night and day difference IMO. Furthermore it will depend on the capabilities of your calibration device. I would get one that is at least capable of everything the TV is capable of. In fact I would get one that is capable of much more for future Tv purchases. they are by no means cheap but at least that is out of the way and that alone will make the largest difference possible. however I would say the conditioner and cord can make up to a 30% difference in picture quality. combined with the calibration to "out of the box" it is night and day on any TV.

I certainly do not intend to be a jerk about this stuff. I will say all of this is YMMV. This is simply my personal opinion how I see things with my own eyes. however I have uncorrected vision better than 20/20 with no other vision issues whatsoever. Now that I actually have a Q900R here I feel that I can speak with authority regarding it. that is all. Of course I do realize most people do not want TV's this small in 2019! I personally choose quality over quantity, even though I am sitting much too far from both of them. However, I had done the calibration at 3 feet and watched both TV's that way for several hours to get a "benchmark" of their perceived picture quality to myself. I would personally rate the 49" Q70 higher. Likewise Rtings rated a larger Q70 higher and the 49" is only (much) belter. Since there shall be but very little native 8K anytime soon I would personally save my money and squarely pick the 49" Q70. It is a no brainer IMO. Again, I realize hardly anyone wants a TV this small. Also again, YMMV on all of this! I am simply putting those disclaimers as not to be a jerk. I am not forcing it upon anyone. These are simply my opinions. In todays world it is indeed a very small TV no doubt.
post #363 of 531 Old 07-18-2019, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Calibration settings?

Hi all! I have a 65 inch q70dr and I'm enjoying it out of the box but I am hoping to tweak the picture just slightly. There is a bit of black crush that I'd like to eliminate and the motion settings when watching soccer are proving difficult to nail down. Other than that, my blacks are inky, there's no blooming to speak of, and everything seems to work the way that it should. Apart from the aforementioned black crush and motion tweaks my only issue is slight dse when watching certain sports (hockey or soccer). The good news is that it doesn't seem to show up when watching football :-)

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #364 of 531 Old 07-18-2019, 08:38 AM

Calibration from one unit to another simply does not work. You need to get your own hardware calibration tool if you really want it properly calibrated unfortunately. even Rtings points this out again and again. My settings or anyone else's have nothing whatsoever to do with your particular TV. I know it would "seem" it is the same TV but in essence it is not. There are great manufacturing deviations on all TV's. Someone else's settings are just likely to mess up your set even more than just "eye balling" it. If you want it done right at least get an inexpensive calibration unit. If you really want it done right, get a full featured calibration unit. I apologize to be the bearer of bad news for you but this is the honest truth. You will never get it right without your own equipment. At least get it and then return it if you must.
post #365 of 531 Old 07-18-2019, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriTon464 View Post
I am having no issue with the shield on the 49" but cannot speak for the 82". Should be the same though. The shield is very tricky with settings. It must be some setting. I suggest not calling their tech support however as they are nearly completely useless. Try to search this, and other forums. At first I had all kinds of problems but not the one you speak of to my recollection. I had to change many settings. It was very difficult to figure out with (lack) of technical support from Nvidia mind you. That is honestly a shame IMO. They really need to step it up. they escalated one question to level 2 a week ago and I have yet to hear from them. They honestly suck IMO. YMMV hopefully.

I would not upgrade from last years model. 3 years on a TV is a major upgrade IMO.

I would personally pick the Q70 over the 900F but YMMV. They are direct competitors. Unless you are speaking of the 49" Q70 in which case my personal feeling is that it will "blow away" The 49" 900F.

So today I got the 55" Q900R and hardware calibrated it. Save for native 8K as I had originally concurred the 49" Q70 is considerably better. YMMY on that though, Although at Rtiings the larger Q70 scored considerably higher on "movies" than the Q900R. the 49"Q70 is considerably better than the larger Q70's. So you do the math. I have used my own eyeballs to derive this conclusion.

I have my brightness at zero.

The backlight is on 4!

The local dimming is on high.

This is for both HDR and SDR.

I feel that this set is very bright and the 900F is even brighter.

Of course the room is 100% blacked out. It is the master bedroom but we just prefer that. Very high quality artificial daylight lightning with 99.6% CRI Is better to us than true daylight the few times we require it.

As I have mentioned I do not see the backlight "blooming" whatsoever on the 49" whereas it most certainly does on the 82". It appears they actually packed the same number of LED's of the 82" into the 49" but the same amount of "zones". So in that regard it shall perform sort of more like a Q9R or Q900R. Only on the 49". This is not just speculation but per data from hardware calibration. I have a highly advanced calibration device.,

Also putting these TV's on a high end power conditioner with a high end power cord and hardware calibrating them will make a night and day difference IMO. Furthermore it will depend on the capabilities of your calibration device. I would get one that is at least capable of everything the TV is capable of. In fact I would get one that is capable of much more for future Tv purchases. they are by no means cheap but at least that is out of the way and that alone will make the largest difference possible. however I would say the conditioner and cord can make up to a 30% difference in picture quality. combined with the calibration to "out of the box" it is night and day on any TV.

I certainly do not intend to be a jerk about this stuff. I will say all of this is YMMV. This is simply my personal opinion how I see things with my own eyes. however I have uncorrected vision better than 20/20 with no other vision issues whatsoever. Now that I actually have a Q900R here I feel that I can speak with authority regarding it. that is all. Of course I do realize most people do not want TV's this small in 2019! I personally choose quality over quantity, even though I am sitting much too far from both of them. However, I had done the calibration at 3 feet and watched both TV's that way for several hours to get a "benchmark" of their perceived picture quality to myself. I would personally rate the 49" Q70 higher. Likewise Rtings rated a larger Q70 higher and the 49" is only (much) belter. Since there shall be but very little native 8K anytime soon I would personally save my money and squarely pick the 49" Q70. It is a no brainer IMO. Again, I realize hardly anyone wants a TV this small. Also again, YMMV on all of this! I am simply putting those disclaimers as not to be a jerk. I am not forcing it upon anyone. These are simply my opinions. In todays world it is indeed a very small TV no doubt.
The thing that worries me about the Samsung, is that I'm reading a lot of comments on how bad the Samsung is with sports. They apparently don't handle the movement well? I watch a ton of sports, so that would be a deal breaker for me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #366 of 531 Old 07-18-2019, 04:01 PM

Well, I think they handle sports a heck of a lot better than any OLED. That is really all I have to go by. Otherwise compared to other "better" LCD's with higher refresh rates I could not comment because I have no experience with them. However I would think common sense would suggest if it does indeed have a problem a TV with a 240HZ or more refresh rate is most likely going to going to be better. Add to that I hardly watch any sports so I am really not the one to ask in the first place! I am not trying to be smart with you, I truly do not know about this question other then what I just guesed at. For Instance some Sony's have "motion rate 960, whatever that is. I would imagine that has to be faster than Samsungs 120HZ. 1209HZ at higher resolutions is not very fast at all really. I know that much. You certainly would not like an OLED though. They mostly cannot even cannot handle plain TV shows without stuttering. I get what you are saying because I absolutely hate that "feature". If I did mostly watch sports and it was ruined for me I would be extremely unhappy. If people are saying this is true about the Q70 then all Samsungs are going to be the same. No need to spend more money on a Samsung then. I would certainly explore a different brand. Perhaps Sony. I hear the 950 and up are very good with sports. Not every TV can do everything. Where the 49" Q70 beats almost everything is on 4K HDR movies IMO. However the larger Q70's and even the Q900R at native 8K are not nearly as good. Of course that is just my opinion but several other people here agree with me and I certainly did not talk them into it I let them decide for themselves. I have a 49" Q70, 55" Q900 and a 55" LG C9 side by side here right now just for demo purposes. In a couple of days they each will find their own rooms. I am not sure what to tell you if you must have a Samsung. I would really look at a different brand.
biglen likes this.
post #367 of 531 Old 07-18-2019, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 4
2019 Samsung Q70R QLED Owner's Thread

A Q70 with far better HDR than a C9 and a Q900? They must have really wrong settings. If you don't calibrate them there is no point to compare.

If you drive a VW with 150km/h and a Ferrari with 50km/h, every person with no clue would attest, that VW is the fastest by far...

Last edited by KOKOtm; 07-18-2019 at 07:35 PM.
post #368 of 531 Old 07-18-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcuniff View Post
Calibration settings?
There is a bit of black crush that I'd like to eliminate and the motion settings when watching soccer are proving difficult to nail down.

I am currently in holidays and have a German set. If I remember correctly, the second slider brightness (that goes -5 to +5) raises dark areas. Try that to raise it for your needs. Don't use dynamic contrast. You can also try 20p white point calibration on IRE 5 to 15 and raise all RGB sliders for the same number.
(5: Red +5, Blue +5, Green +5, 10: Red +3, Blue +3, Green +3, ...)
Use your own numbers, don't copy them. They are only examples. Find some black test patterns to compare. On my 82" Q70 all black patterns are correct, far better than my old B6/B7 OLED, that needs so big numbers that it would destroy the picture. Often some black crush is also good, would only expose noise in dark areas.
So choose your poison, if you really have some black crush.

For motion there is no real one magic flawless setting. If you don't like artifacts: off or 0/0.

Last edited by KOKOtm; 07-18-2019 at 07:28 PM.
post #369 of 531 Old 07-18-2019, 08:43 PM

Mine are all fully calibrated with a high end hardware calibration tool. The 49" is not the same as the other Q70's. I have explained this like 10 times by now. The 49" Q70 is a flagship TV in that size from Samsung.
post #370 of 531 Old 07-19-2019, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just picked up an 82"er this morning and an having an issue with it, it's running off my PC hdmi but only standard and dynamic modes are available and other options are greyed out

Dynamic is acceptably bright, standard is very dull and turning up the brightness to 5 as recommended doesn't seem to affect the image at all
post #371 of 531 Old 07-20-2019, 07:06 AM

there also seems to be a slightly darker border around the TV image which is noticeable - like 1/4 of an inch of greyer darker image all around the picture? Is this normal? I'm debating returning it for a Q80 or Q90 if so
post #372 of 531 Old 07-20-2019, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hello. Ive bought the samsung q70r the other day snd im very happy with it.

But is there any way to change the color of the OS? I couldve sworn that i saw a youtube video about a samsung qled with a black/gray OS instead of pure white.

Any idea?
post #373 of 531 Old 07-20-2019, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel2552 View Post
Hello. Ive bought the samsung q70r the other day snd im very happy with it.

But is there any way to change the color of the OS? I couldve sworn that i saw a youtube video about a samsung qled with a black/gray OS instead of pure white.

Any idea?
Go to settings>General>Accessibility>High Contrast, that should do it.
post #374 of 531 Old 07-21-2019, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozark View Post
Go to settings>General>Accessibility>High Contrast, that should do it.

Thank you!! looks much better!
post #375 of 531 Old 07-21-2019, 03:50 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba bear View Post
I just picked up an 82"er this morning and an having an issue with it, it's running off my PC hdmi but only standard and dynamic modes are available and other options are greyed out

Dynamic is acceptably bright, standard is very dull and turning up the brightness to 5 as recommended doesn't seem to affect the image at all
Edit device type from Pc to game console.
post #376 of 531 Old 07-21-2019, 03:58 AM

I would know how many people have bought the 82" Q70R.
I see noticible blooming in video with low brightness,not always,it depends on the scene video,but it seems the behaviour's leds is wrong.
Is possible to see that in movie with low brightness around the edge of the panel.
I prefer to consider the Q70R (maybe the 82) an edge lit and not a full array....
post #377 of 531 Old 07-21-2019, 04:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone know what length bolts are needed for the rear VESA mount? My old ones I had in my Vizio were waaay too short. Looks like I need to make a trip to Home Depot in order to hang by new 65 Q70R.
post #378 of 531 Old 07-21-2019, 06:55 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spytek81 View Post
I would know how many people have bought the 82" Q70R.
I see noticible blooming in video with low brightness,not always,it depends on the scene video,but it seems the behaviour's leds is wrong.
Is possible to see that in movie with low brightness around the edge of the panel.
I prefer to consider the Q70R (maybe the 82) an edge lit and not a full array....
The 82" isn't edge lit. You may have gotten unlucky and have black uniformity issues.

And while I'm at it, the 49" isn't Samsung's flagship 4K. It's not a 12-bit 120Hz panel.

I watched Aquaman 4K Blu-ray yesterday and it looked amazing on this TV. Very impressive colors, contrast, HDR peaks and black levels.
Thrust-Bot likes this.
post #379 of 531 Old 07-21-2019, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spewdom View Post
The 82" isn't edge lit. You may have gotten unlucky and have black uniformity issues.
I Know,I was ironic...
I think the problem of the blooming could be due to the few control zones (only 40) of the Q70R and are more noticeble on the 82" but I would be sure of this.
I can't return it to the Shop but I would like to understand if I need to contact samsung support or the problem is specific to large TVs Samsung.
post #380 of 531 Old 07-23-2019, 02:08 AM

the 82" just does have uniformity issues. It has horrible DSE. The funny thing is that per Rtings, their "better" sets are even worse in that regard and it really bothers me. So at least those in this thread actually in fact do have the "better" one in that regard and others as well. The Q70 is Samsungs best value currently. Even though the 49" is a different animal, it wipes the floor with my 55" Q900R. Even the 82" Q70 will do better in many areas. The "best" is not always the "best" per se.

I do not mean to be a jerk talking about this again.
On the 49" only, someone doubted it had a 12 bit panel. It does but it does not support Dolby Vision since Samsung has their own HDR 10+.
To get 12 bits on the 49" you just set the radio button for "Input signal plus" to a solid circle for the input you are watching or all inputs. HDMI only.
Unfortunately this was included on some firmware of larger models but simply does nothing.
If you turn on any of the gaming functions or "Motion rate 240" it will automatically override it down to 10 bits.
Seeing as I do not game or watch sports but rather watch movies, for myself I vastly prefer having the 12 bit panel in use.
I do not know what the panel is, but the 49" obviously uses a different panel than the larger ones.
As I mentioned before the 49" has no uniformity issues whatsoever. since they packed the same amount of LED's as the 82" into the 49". However it is still the same amount of zones. TBH, sometimes a black background is inky black and sometimes I can see the dim backlight glowing. Although I do have the backlight on "high". My backlight is only set on 4 so it is not going to be too bad of an effect anyways. On that note I find the Backlight on 4 for HDR just fine but few other people would I imagine.

If I wanted a larger TV I would probably get the 82" Q70 as well.
post #381 of 531 Old 07-23-2019, 07:48 AM

quick question, does the backlight level for SDR and HDR content need to be equal in the settings(so if i put BL on 20 is SDR does it need to be 20 aswell in HDR mode or does it need to be more)? On default both modes are both at max and is not really comfortable in a dark area.

Anyone have any tips?
post #382 of 531 Old 07-23-2019, 04:23 PM

Talking Google Assistant / Home

Hi guys!

I've seen that this TV is compatible with Google assistant.
I'd like to be able to say "hey Google, play some music on Spotify on the livingroom TV".
Is this possible? I can't finc any info anywhere. I played with the SMartThings app and Google Home, but can't find a way.

Thanks for your help !!

Seskoi
post #383 of 531 Old 07-23-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel2552 View Post
quick question, does the backlight level for SDR and HDR content need to be equal in the settings(so if i put BL on 20 is SDR does it need to be 20 aswell in HDR mode or does it need to be more)? On default both modes are both at max and is not really comfortable in a dark area.

Anyone have any tips?

On my set I can set different values only in Standard and Movie profiles. In Dynamic and Natural SDR and HDR overwrite each other, very annoying. I go 50 in HDR and 20 in SDR.

I go with Movie, currently Warm1, but I will calibrate it with HCFR again today.

I still searching for HDR settings for brighter, but not too bright pictures in a complete dark room:

1) Dimming High, Dynamic Contrast off: Good in some Movies, but HDR doesn't pop very often.

2) Dimming High, Dynamic Contrast low: great in some Movies, HDR pops in dark scenes, bright scenes look like that they have less contrast, because the complete picture gets too bright, so not even worth to try Dynamic Contrast High.

3) Dimming Standard, Dynamic Contrast low: somewhere below or equal 1).

4) Dimming Standard, Dynamic Contrast High: Somewhere between 1 and 2. Not the high HDR pop, but better contrast and not too bright. Think I will stay with it.

I really miss the Active HDR setting from my B7 OLED. LGs Dynamic Tone Mapping is great. Set and forget, every movie looks fine. Now some movies look better in 1), some in 2), 3 sucks and I hope 4) will be the best compromise.
post #384 of 531 Old 07-24-2019, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriTon464 View Post
the 82" just does have uniformity issues. It has horrible DSE.
In all honesty my specimen doesn't suffer particularly from uniformity and I expected worse. The main problem is the damn blooming visible on a black background as soon as there is a bright object. I am angry with Samsung because the specifications define the Q70R as a Full array but the attenuation system is not very efficient and even more serious that the areas of darkness are the same (only 40 zones) present on the minor cuts (49 "-55" -65 ") while it should have reserved a greater number on the upper cuts (75-82 "). I would call the Q70R 82" to all intents and purposes like an Edge-Lit, other than Full Array ...
Personally, I will never buy Samsung again for misleading advertising and non-compliant product!

Last edited by Spytek81; 07-24-2019 at 04:18 AM.
post #385 of 531 Old 07-24-2019, 11:04 AM

Too bad, Dynamic Contrast blow out too much details. Looks like I have to accept darker HDR.
post #386 of 531 Old 07-24-2019, 02:08 PM

I agree. It is not fair about the 82". For a TV that big it simply does not have enough zones. You are correct in that you can nearly call it "edge lit" then. You do see the back light bad. Then go figure they stuffed the same number of LED's in the 49" which is what makes it so good. The 82" specifically should have more zones, more LED's or some combination of both. It is indeed misleading. My JS9000 was top of the line edge lit, expensive and saw the back light like crazy. I can imagine your discontent. Although anything for less money probably would have been even worse. That specific size just needed more uniform lighting however they achieved it. I just hate being the result of companies "mistakes"! The joke is I do not know what the Vizio costs but I kind of bet it might be a whole lot better. I don't really know but I am aware it got a lot of praise. They are no longer a "no-name".
Spytek81 likes this.
post #387 of 531 Old 07-24-2019, 08:01 PM

I need some assistance. I have the Q70 49” with a 4th generation Apple TV connected. The issue I am having is the Apple TV will randomly reboot. Sometimes it’s when I try to play an iTunes movie or trailer, or while watching a broadcast.

I have tried:
Changing hdmi cables
Switching ports
Resetting TV
Resetting Apple TV

Sometimes it’s works fine, sometimes it reboots

I have connected this same Apple TV to an older TV, doesn’t reboot
I have connected an Apple TV that doesn’t have this issue to this TV, still reboots

Apple TV and Samsung TV are running the latest software.
I have tried turning off Any Net as well, no change.
post #388 of 531 Old 07-26-2019, 03:11 AM

Folks, I was wondering if the only way not to see the backlight in very dark scenes is to use an OLED? Even My 900R I can see it just the same as the 70R and the 900R has much more zones. Of course my C9 you do not see it because it does not have one.
post #389 of 531 Old 07-26-2019, 03:43 AM

I had an OLED before. For sure you get better blacks, but worse near black performance (DSE and/or crushed blacks). Vertical banding lines are very distracting. I had 1.

You also sometimes have movies with raised blacks, and you will wonder if your OLED or the movie is the problem, most of the time the movie.

So choose your poison. I would advice: Just watch and enjoy the movie, ignore the problem. With OLED you can win the panel lottery and get a better picture or just other problems, that can be a lot more distracting.
TriTon464 likes this.
post #390 of 531 Old 07-26-2019, 06:51 AM

Plus much darker, burn in and a lot of other issues. Overall I do prefer LCD. The bit of glowing on very dark scenes does not really bother me. You would really not know that a OLED has better blacks than a very good LCD unless they were side by side. When they are side by side white lettering on a black background looks pure white. It looks more gray on a LCD but not by much on a good one. again, this is only when they are side by side. Otherwise you would not know. You are correct even If I only had a $200 85" just enjoy the darn movie! I hope that does not get me a warning on price talk it was just a joke. Seriously though, it is about the content, not the display right? I mean plenty of people drive a 10 year old Hyundai and you do not hear them complain at all. There is some amount of snobbery involved in this at some point. People complaining about the likes of the C9 or Q900R is just silly. Than those that don't even realize the 49" Q70 is better than both IMO if they can deal with a 49" TV. I am siting 28+ feet from it and could care less. Needing an enormous TV to sit 8 feet away seems silly to me too. You hit the nail on the head. "just enjoy the movie". Regardless of what you have. They all have plusses and minuses and this is exemplified per Rtings. Not one TV as of yet is perfect at everything, and why does it even matter? It is what it is. Pick the one you like the picture, that you can afford and that's it. This gets blown way out of proportion and over discussed IMO. Although I can certainly understand complaints about "bad apples" the manufacturer does not stand behind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page