2019 Samsung Q70R QLED Owner's Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 270Likes

post #811 of 1203 Old 11-26-2019, 08:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Its no problem, mine was the same way, the rear panel feels kind of loose and has some play when pushed in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1203 Old 11-26-2019, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Really? Just more towards the center right? That makes me feel better about it then
post #813 of 1203 Old 11-27-2019, 05:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperco View Post
Settings mashup is my biggest complaint so far with this set. Samsung needs to study LG OLEDs for inspiration.

Darn... still love the TV tho.

For those that watch YTTV; Do you use digital clean view?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #814 of 1203 Old 11-27-2019, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've been looking at the 55" Q70R online an just went to view one at my local Curry's/PCWorld, but noticed that the displays of the entire 2019 Samsung 55" QLED range (and one LG OLED) had a large black border (circa 1") between the very thin plastic frame and the actual image. No other TVs of any other brand (apart from the single LG) had this issue. When I asked the sales guy he said that it's normal for those models. Surely that can't be the case? And if it is, why does Samsung's promotional material show the image going right to the edge of the screen (as does the image at the top of this thread)? Seems very odd to me.

Have they set them all up incorrectly?

Last edited by farmeroman; 11-27-2019 at 08:14 AM.
post #815 of 1203 Old 11-27-2019, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmeroman View Post
I've been looking at the 55" Q70R online an just went to view one at my local Curry's/PCWorld, but noticed that the displays of the entire 2019 Samsung 55" QLED range (and one LG OLED) had a large black border (circa 1-1.5") between the very thin plastic frame and the actual image. No other TVs of any other brand (apart from the single LG) had this issue. When I asked the sales guy he said that it's normal for those models. Surely that can't be the case? And if it is, why does Samsung's promotional material show the image going right to the edge of the screen (as does the image at the top of this thread)? Seems very odd to me.

Have they set them all up incorrectly?

That black border is nowhere near 1-1.5 inch. It's normally a centimeter or so. And yes it's very normal with almost every TV. There are no true edge to edge displays (correct me if I'm wrong someone) but they will always have that tiny little black space between the image and actual frame/border. It just depends on the manufacturer's frame work. A lot of frames are made to cover more of that black space up, and some have "bezeless" frames, which would still have a small black space on the actual LCD.
post #816 of 1203 Old 11-27-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwayneP View Post
That black border is nowhere near 1-1.5 inch. It's normally a centimeter or so. And yes it's very normal with almost every TV. There are no true edge to edge displays (correct me if I'm wrong someone) but they will always have that tiny little black space between the image and actual frame/border. It just depends on the manufacturer's frame work. A lot of frames are made to cover more of that black space up, and some have "bezeless" frames, which would still have a small black space on the actual LCD.
It's definitely more like 1" (I edited my original post) and does not appear on any of the other TVs in the store (apart from the single LG OLED which is in the same bank of screens as the QLEDs). All of the other TVs go as close to the edge as possible, including the non-QLED Samsungs. The QLEDs look nothing like the Samsung's promotional material or the one at the top of this thread.

See the attached image which may be the LG, but the Samsungs were the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	QLED.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	2646262  
post #817 of 1203 Old 11-27-2019, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by firepower12 View Post
Darn... still love the TV tho.

For those that watch YTTV; Do you use digital clean view?
I watch YTTV, and do not use digital clean view with no complaints. Although I must confess to only trying that setting for a short while, so my opinion is far from scientific. For the short time I used DCV, I saw no improvement.
post #818 of 1203 Old 11-27-2019, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7015 Post(s)
Liked: 7028
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_42 View Post

I had a Q80 before that worked fine with the angles until the screen cracked.
How did you screen crack? Did it get replaced by insurance?
post #819 of 1203 Old 11-27-2019, 09:46 AM

So apparently one of the clips came off and thats why it makes a little sound and can push in a little on the back. That sucks. I just bought the thing. I could return it but its also only cosmetic at this point. Not sure its worth bothering with the exchanged one could have a bad screen
post #820 of 1203 Old 11-27-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8523 View Post
So apparently one of the clips came off and thats why it makes a little sound and can push in a little on the back. That sucks. I just bought the thing. I could return it but its also only cosmetic at this point. Not sure its worth bothering with the exchanged one could have a bad screen
What clips, mine had no clips. It just had the flex in the center like you said.
post #821 of 1203 Old 11-27-2019, 12:42 PM

[QUOTE=farmeroman;58880828]I've been looking at the 55" Q70R online an just went to view one at my local Curry's/PCWorld, but noticed that the displays of the entire 2019 Samsung 55" QLED range (and one LG OLED) had a large black border (circa 1") between the very thin plastic frame and the actual image. No other TVs of any other brand (apart from the single LG) had this issue. When I asked the sales guy he said that it's normal for those models. Surely that can't be the case? And if it is, why does Samsung's promotional material show the image going right to the edge of the screen (as does the image at the top of this thread)? Seems very odd to me.

My 82" fills up the screen, its only on Netflix the movies have the big bars, or i saw one last night with the 1" bar. But all other channels or inputs fills the screen.
post #822 of 1203 Old 11-27-2019, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
How did you screen crack? Did it get replaced by insurance?

No clue. Only possibility I can think of was I had to move it away from the wall slightly to plug in a usb stick, so moved out the side with the connections. However the crack happened on the opposite side of the screen. Did not get it replaced. Everyone denied any coverage.
post #823 of 1203 Old 11-27-2019, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
New 85" Q70R owner here. I got it yesterday. It's so big!!! Which I love!

This thing can produce an absolutely beautiful picture. I have tried the youtube app and watching 4k videos is amazing. I also have an nVidia shield that can produce some amazing quality videos. So this thing can shine. Oh, and the PS4 looks great.

However, I'm looking for some help and suggestions on getting DirecTv to look better. Let me try to explain what I'm seeing/experiencing. There are probably some better technical terms to use, but I will describe it with what I can. I feel like when watching the DirecTV the picture is VERY soft and grainy. To be clear, I am not expecting a 4k experience, I understand that's not possible. But, I feel like the picture should look better and sharper than it does, more crisp, less soft and glossy (not sure how to describe it exactly.)

I am using the Genie base for DTV. It's getting old, probably 6+ years old, I'd guess.

Let me qualify with saying I have 3 other Samsungs in the house, all with DTV hooked up (genie clients), and I think they look great on the other TV's.

I have a KS8000 65", an 6200 65", and a mu6200, all look better with DTV. I on 6200 I enabled the HDR+ mode, and I think DTV looks pretty good. I remember thinking the similar thing on the 65" 6200, but when I flipped on the HDR+ mode, it was like it got cleared up and it was refreshing. I was hoping for that moment as I worked with this TV

I have read through this post reading the settings, read the rtings, flatpanelhd, and cnet settings (they are all pretty similar), and been with all of the picture settings on the TV, and I can't seem to make it pop like I'd like.

Watching DTV (well sports specifically) is pretty important.

Looking for others thoughts and advice on watching cable/satellite. Is this just what it is because the TV is so big? Any ideas on what to try?

Another questions, on many of the settings pages at rtings, cnet, etc, they have the option for HDR+ to be disabled. I don't see that option on my TV at all, so wondering what triggers that option to be available? Or, was it removed in a firmware update?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by woodsdog; 11-27-2019 at 06:24 PM.
post #824 of 1203 Old 11-27-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Blissett View Post

What clips, mine had no clips. It just had the flex in the center like you said.
Theres no clips? Geek squad told me that could be what it was. But if you had the same thing maybe its inherent to the set
post #825 of 1203 Old 11-27-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsdog View Post
New 85" Q70R owner here. I got it yesterday. It's so big!!! Which I love!

This thing can produce an absolutely beautiful picture. I have tried the youtube app and watching 4k videos is amazing. I also have an nVidia shield that can produce some amazing quality videos. So this thing can shine. Oh, and the PS4 looks great.

However, I'm looking for some help and suggestions on getting DirecTv to look better. Let me try to explain what I'm seeing/experiencing. There are probably some better technical terms to use, but I will describe it with what I can. I feel like when watching the DirecTV the picture is VERY soft and grainy. To be clear, I am not expecting a 4k experience, I understand that's not possible. But, I feel like the picture should look better and sharper than it does, more crisp, less soft and glossy (not sure how to describe it exactly.)

I am using the Genie base for DTV. It's getting old, probably 6+ years old, I'd guess.

Let me qualify with saying I have 3 other Samsungs in the house, all with DTV hooked up (genie clients), and I think they look great on the other TV's.

I have a KS8000 65", an 6200 65", and a mu6200, all look better with DTV. I on 6200 I enabled the HDR+ mode, and I think DTV looks pretty good. I remember thinking the similar thing on the 65" 6200, but when I flipped on the HDR+ mode, it was like it got cleared up and it was refreshing. I was hoping for that moment as I worked with this TV

I have read through this post reading the settings, read the rtings, flatpanelhd, and cnet settings (they are all pretty similar), and been with all of the picture settings on the TV, and I can't seem to make it pop like I'd like.

Watching DTV (well sports specifically) is pretty important.

Looking for others thoughts and advice on watching cable/satellite. Is this just what it is because the TV is so big? Any ideas on what to try?

Another questions, on many of the settings pages at rtings, cnet, etc, they have the option for HDR+ to be disabled. I don't see that option on my TV at all, so wondering what triggers that option to be available? Or, was it removed in a firmware update?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
I couldn't find anything in my 82" settings about HDR either, but my Directv looks pretty good.
post #826 of 1203 Old 11-27-2019, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Upgrading from KS-8000 to Q70R?

I currently have a 65" Samsung KS8000, the picture is great for TV and YT but is disappointing for movies, as it's difficult to see details in dark scenes. I'm now thinking about buying the 75" Q70R. I care most about seeing details in dark scenes and to have smooth motion (I'm very sensitive to stutter and currently have the auto-motion plus setting to 3, which smoothes things out enough for me without introducing the sopa opera effect). I'll use the TV only in a dark room and I'm not concerned about viewing angles.

What do you guys think? Would the Q70R be a worthy upgrade, especially for 1080p 24p movies?
post #827 of 1203 Old 11-28-2019, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1309 Post(s)
Liked: 2138
Posts removed. No price talk outside of the deal's area.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #828 of 1203 Old 11-28-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwayneP View Post
Well I drove to another PCWorld this morning and suprise, surprise, no black bars (apart from the expected <1cm border). As I tried to tell, them there is something wrong with the feed of an entire bank of screens .
gsindela likes this.
post #829 of 1203 Old 11-28-2019, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spewdom View Post
For starters, please don't listen to the misinformation TriTon464 continues to spread about the 49" Q70.

I own the 82" Q70 and for almost all movies and video games it performs great. The TV has roughly around 48-50 dimming zones. While I wish it was more, all the content I've thrown at it: 4K HDR/1080p SDR Blu-rays, 4K/1080p Netflix, PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, it has done an amazing job. I only really notice the zones causing the spot on an image to brighten in certain scenes. Like a bright HUD popping up in a dark environment in a video game. Every TV is going to have its pros and cons and for me, the pros are outweighing the cons in my home. The horizontal black bars on movies stay surprisingly very black so I assume the dimming zones are in great spots and I haven't really noticed light blooming onto them. Scenes like the beginning of 2017's 'IT' when Georgie's in the basement and that scene not being completely dark, I can notice some slight brightness adjustments to the image when a bright object comes into view, but the black bars stay pretty black during that. For me, that small brightness change isn't enough to ignore the rest of the movie looking amazing. Most dark scenes and all bright scenes look awesome to me. The 4K Blu-ray of Avengers: Endgame looks amazing and video games with good HDR look great. The FALD on at least the 82" can cause some crushing of smaller lit objects that are in a black background (like the stars at the beginning of Black Panther before the meteorite comes in view). You can adjust the TV so the stars can be seen, but it degrades the image in my opinion. For me, ~95+% of content looks great. I can pick scenes where I can notice the TV's flaws, but I could do that on all TVs if given the opportunity to test them. To be fair, I haven't watched a lot of horror movies on it yet, so I can't comment on anything other than the 4K Blu-ray of IT. I'll check out some on Netflix like 'Before I Wake' since it has some dark scenes.

Everyone's settings are going to be different also. What I've currently settled on: I'm using Standard with Standard color tone with the Backlight and Contrast at max with the Contrast Enhancer set to low. I'm using DCI-P3 Color Space set to Native and Color at 28. Local dimming on high. All my apps are being run through Xbox One X and PS4 Pro. I've messed with the picture settings almost daily just seeing if there's anything else that looks worse or better and that setup is currently the winner for my eyes.

End credits can pulsate if there's enough space between the text. If it's a giant wall scrolling, the whole screen lights up. But I just stop the movie or fast-forward if there is a post credit scene. There's flaws. It's if you are bothered enough when they pop up here and there.

Is it better to run apps like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Disney + through the PS4 Pro instead of directly on the Q70 TV?
post #830 of 1203 Old 11-28-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkMike161 View Post
Pulled the trigger on the 85" yesterday from Best buy. I grinded hard, got the TV for $3300 (Canadian), then got them to deliver, install, and calibrate the TV for an additional $400 including a wall mount. Seems like they are really willing to deal right now!
How did you get them to drop it to 3300?

Maybe i can still try and lower the amount i paid.
post #831 of 1203 Old 11-28-2019, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Firmware 1335.0?

Hi,
I just downloaded firmware 1335.0 (USA) and installed it. Anybody know what changed? The Samsung "release notes" are very vague as usuall.
Thanks!

Cheers,
Jeff
LG 65UHD/Denon/OppO/HTPC/PS4/NHT/HSU/7.1
PSN: Krondorian
XBL: Midkemian
Twitter: @Krondo_jd

Last edited by 60SXRD; 11-28-2019 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Additional info
post #832 of 1203 Old 11-28-2019, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 78
This drives me crazy with Samsung - terrible communications with customers.

Why won't they tell us about the changes and improvements they've made?

It would serve them well to let us know that they're working to make the
purchase of a Samsung HDTV a positive experience.

Dumb, dumb, dumb!!!!
post #833 of 1203 Old 11-28-2019, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by jikjak55 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spewdom View Post
For starters, please don't listen to the misinformation TriTon464 continues to spread about the 49" Q70.

I own the 82" Q70 and for almost all movies and video games it performs great. The TV has roughly around 48-50 dimming zones. While I wish it was more, all the content I've thrown at it: 4K HDR/1080p SDR Blu-rays, 4K/1080p Netflix, PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, it has done an amazing job. I only really notice the zones causing the spot on an image to brighten in certain scenes. Like a bright HUD popping up in a dark environment in a video game. Every TV is going to have its pros and cons and for me, the pros are outweighing the cons in my home. The horizontal black bars on movies stay surprisingly very black so I assume the dimming zones are in great spots and I haven't really noticed light blooming onto them. Scenes like the beginning of 2017's 'IT' when Georgie's in the basement and that scene not being completely dark, I can notice some slight brightness adjustments to the image when a bright object comes into view, but the black bars stay pretty black during that. For me, that small brightness change isn't enough to ignore the rest of the movie looking amazing. Most dark scenes and all bright scenes look awesome to me. The 4K Blu-ray of Avengers: Endgame looks amazing and video games with good HDR look great. The FALD on at least the 82" can cause some crushing of smaller lit objects that are in a black background (like the stars at the beginning of Black Panther before the meteorite comes in view). You can adjust the TV so the stars can be seen, but it degrades the image in my opinion. For me, ~95+% of content looks great. I can pick scenes where I can notice the TV's flaws, but I could do that on all TVs if given the opportunity to test them. To be fair, I haven't watched a lot of horror movies on it yet, so I can't comment on anything other than the 4K Blu-ray of IT. I'll check out some on Netflix like 'Before I Wake' since it has some dark scenes.

Everyone's settings are going to be different also. What I've currently settled on: I'm using Standard with Standard color tone with the Backlight and Contrast at max with the Contrast Enhancer set to low. I'm using DCI-P3 Color Space set to Native and Color at 28. Local dimming on high. All my apps are being run through Xbox One X and PS4 Pro. I've messed with the picture settings almost daily just seeing if there's anything else that looks worse or better and that setup is currently the winner for my eyes.

End credits can pulsate if there's enough space between the text. If it's a giant wall scrolling, the whole screen lights up. But I just stop the movie or fast-forward if there is a post credit scene. There's flaws. It's if you are bothered enough when they pop up here and there.

Is it better to run apps like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Disney + through the PS4 Pro instead of directly on the Q70 TV?
The Disney+ app on PS4 Pro doesn't support 4K or HDR for whatever reason. Disney+ apps on Xbox One X and the Q70 have 4K HDR.
Netflix app on PS4 Pro and Xbox One X forces HDR settings on everything, including SDR content. The Q70 Netflix app switches between SDR and HDR depending on the content like it should be. So it depends if you want SDR content using your HDR settings in the PS4 Pro Netflix app.
I haven't noticed any differences with the Amazon app. Audio-wise, with my setup (Denon 4400 AVR), the apps on the consoles are a few dBs louder.

Also, I've calibrated my Q70 in Movie mode instead of Standard mode. It handles certain black scenes better. If you download the videogame INSIDE it has a completely black screen with red text in the middle that reads 'Press Any Button'. Well, I can't see that text outside of Movie mode due to the local dimming crushing it. That is a good test.
gsindela likes this.
post #834 of 1203 Old 11-28-2019, 04:16 PM

thanks for the information.
Looks like it will be best for me to just use those apps directly from the TV itself.

ill have to grab that game and use it as a test as well!
post #835 of 1203 Old 11-28-2019, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by jikjak55 View Post
thanks for the information.
Looks like it will be best for me to just use those apps directly from the TV itself.

ill have to grab that game and use it as a test as well!
There is a free demo for INSIDE.

Edit: Just downloaded the demo on PS4 and it doesn't have the Press Any Button text. Guess it's in the full game. I downloaded the full game free on Xbox so I'm not sure.

Last edited by Spewdom; 11-28-2019 at 04:31 PM.
post #836 of 1203 Old 11-28-2019, 05:00 PM

Does anyone else have a similar thing on the top middle part of the back panel where you can push in on it a little bit? The sides dont do it
post #837 of 1203 Old 11-28-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60SXRD View Post
Hi,
I just downloaded firmware 1335.0 (USA) and installed it. Anybody know what changed? The Samsung "release notes" are very vague as usuall.
Thanks!
I have the Q7DR from Costco; no update available from 1315.

Edit: I'm using the update function on the TV. Do I have to do it manually from my PC???

Edit2: I downloaded from my PC to USB and am updating now.

Edit3: Update successful. No idea what changed.

Last edited by gsindela; 11-28-2019 at 07:19 PM.
post #838 of 1203 Old 11-28-2019, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
What I have noticed in the update is that the LED feedback has improved a lot and the brightness has increased a bit more in general.
gsindela likes this.
post #839 of 1203 Old 11-28-2019, 11:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 134
I'm thinking of buying the 75" Q70 from Costco.

How do DVDs look on it ? I assume it depends on the player used and whether the player or TV does the upscaling ?

How does 720 and 1080 look from an antenna ?

Thanks.
post #840 of 1203 Old 11-29-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post
I'm thinking of buying the 75" Q70 from Costco.

How do DVDs look on it ? I assume it depends on the player used and whether the player or TV does the upscaling ?

How does 720 and 1080 look from an antenna ?

Thanks.
Have not tried DVDs so cannot comment thereon. 720 and 1080 look excellent subjectively, and IIRC, Rtings.com said those standard high definition resolutions do very well on this set. Read here...

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q70-q70r-qled

BTW: tough to beat the 5 year warranty from Costco on this set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page