2019 Samsung Q70R QLED Owner's Thread - Page 30 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 228Likes

post #871 of 893 Old 12-02-2019, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter1671 View Post
I've recently purchased a 75in Q70R and I love it for the most part but I have noticed pixilation around people as they move also stuttering when streaming and this is through my xbox one x wired connection not wireless. I'm wondering if this is due to the size of the tv or not. Movie watching is incredible. Game mode is also very good however I do also get that pixilation around characters as they move, happens mostly at the top of the tv.

any advice?
Hopefully this will help you: I had severe stuttering on live sports with the recommended CNET settings. The culprit was the Auto Motion Plus setting. Once I turned that setting off, the stuttering went away. BTW, I am using both antenna and YTTV, so I cannot comment specifically on xbox one x.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 893 Old 12-02-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incindium View Post
Finally pulled the trigger and ordered a 75" Samsung Q70R from Amazon with delivery scheduled for Dec 9th (next Monday).

I'm hoping to be able to run this as a G-Sync compatible display with my PC which has a NVidia 2080 Super GPU although I've been seeing reports that it may not be currently working or not working correctly.

However Rtings did just added a note on 11/28 for the Samsung Q70R, Q80R, and Q90R reviews saying they are G-Sync compatible via manually enabling it in NVidia Control Center.

Even if there are currently issues I'm hoping they will eventually get resolved and I wanted to have purchased my 4k display in time to enjoy it for my time off work at the end of this month. Also wanted to take advantage of the current sales prices before they were gone.

I've been using a 70" Sharp 1080p TV from 2013 so am expecting this to be a big step up.
Congrats!!! Good luck with it!
Incindium likes this.
post #873 of 893 Old 12-02-2019, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 120
OK it turns out that its very difficult to find stand footprint info. I did an online chat and got the following info. If this is wrong, blame Samsung not me

The distance BETWEEN the legs for various sizes (total stand footprint will be slightly larger than this):

65" : 47 inches
75" : 57 inches
82" : 62 inches (outboard, they didn't know the inboard dimensions )
85" : 64 inches (outboard, they didn't know the inboard dimensions )
gsindela likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #874 of 893 Old 12-02-2019, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperco View Post
The distance BETWEEN the legs for various sizes (total stand footprint will be slightly larger than this):

55" : 38 inches
post #875 of 893 Old 12-02-2019, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsindela View Post
Hopefully this will help you: I had severe stuttering on live sports with the recommended CNET settings. The culprit was the Auto Motion Plus setting. Once I turned that setting off, the stuttering went away. BTW, I am using both antenna and YTTV, so I cannot comment specifically on DirecTV.
Thanks! My problem isn't really stuttering though, it's pixelation. I have Auto Motion Plus setting off already. Some channels/shows seem to look better than others. For instance my daughter had Disney Jr on earlier and it looked terrible. My wife is watching The Voice right now and it looks pretty good. Even on the shows that look pretty good though, I notice the stuff in sharp focus looks good but the stuff out of focus looks somewhat pixelated. 1080P Roku looks great. Googling I've come across some posts on DirecTV and other forums with people complaining DirecTV looks bad on other 4K displays too with no real solution unfortunately. Guess it's time to look at streaming services again.
gsindela likes this.
post #876 of 893 Old 12-02-2019, 09:53 PM
Advanced Member

I switched from satellite (Dish) to YouTube TV, only regret is not doing it sooner.
gsindela likes this.
post #877 of 893 Old 12-03-2019, 02:21 AM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsindela View Post
Holy cow! And I thought I did a lot of work to get this set working right. My condolences to you! I hope you get it working!
Thank You

i had partial success.

i got the tv apps such as Netflix to pass dd+ / atmos to the receiver so it was nice to see the atmos symbol on some Netflix content.
Still unable to activate auto game mode on any port on the tv
i think the xbox atmos channel is bugged as content that wants atmos refuses to play and displays a playback error such as Netflix (its in the xbox preview alpha skip ahead, i suspect atmos has never worked properly in this update ring)
i factory reset the amp but did not fix any issues.
gsindela likes this.
post #878 of 893 Old 12-03-2019, 04:39 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I've had my 65" Q70DR a few weeks now. After playing with the settings, I like natural mode/Auto Motion off the best. I stream thru both the TV and a Roku Streaming + stick (wife likes remote functions better), and I'm really happy with the picture. I'm guessing I hit the panel lottery as I notice no DSE, etc in the picture. Just recently connected a Sony STRDH790 AV receiver and Atmos speakers to my 5.1 set up. Sounds really nice. I did buy the Square Trade (4) year warranty for $100, as I've heard Samsung is kinda slow to respond to warranty concerns. Happy camper so far
gsindela likes this.
post #879 of 893 Old 12-03-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gob Bluth View Post
Nice. If I were wall mounting the one connect could be useful but it actually introduces more problems than it solves for me. Updated MSRP looks right.

I don’t really *need* a new panel but this would be a pretty sweet upgrade. I like the interface on my current Samsung 4K tv if a little slow, but the HDR on Netflix is buggy and no local lighting / dimming, etc. The remote is my all time favorite - looks pretty much the same for this panel.
I just bought this TV and was both disappointed and curious that Samsung decided to not do a one connect box. It seemed like a great idea: why don't you like it? What problems does it provide?

thanks
post #880 of 893 Old 12-03-2019, 01:28 PM

Why Did Samsung Not Include CNN in Smart Hub? Solutions For Me to Watch?

My Roku box had CNN and the Samsung Smart Hub does not. It appears that I can not add the app. Puzzling. Of course I could plug in my roku to an HDMI port and view it that way, but that is quite a hassle. Anyone have a great way to add CNN in spite of Samsung's wishes?
post #881 of 893 Old 12-03-2019, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by elasticmedia View Post
My Roku box had CNN and the Samsung Smart Hub does not. It appears that I can not add the app. Puzzling. Of course I could plug in my roku to an HDMI port and view it that way, but that is quite a hassle. Anyone have a great way to add CNN in spite of Samsung's wishes?
I guess you could watch it through the Youtube app.
post #882 of 893 Old 12-04-2019, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Ordered my 82”Q70R on Cyber Monday. Won’t be delivered until Dec. 20th. Are there a lot of panel issues?
post #883 of 893 Old 12-04-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purenv View Post
Ordered my 82”Q70R on Cyber Monday. Won’t be delivered until Dec. 20th. Are there a lot of panel issues?
Depends what you mean by "a lot." I would encourage you to read both the CNET and Rtings reviews to get a better idea of what the experts are saying. On a very unscientific note, I will say that my panel does show very minor DSE. But not enough for me to return the set. Overall, I'm very pleased with it after taking quite a bit of time to get it set up right.

On a side note: The Auto Motion Plus setting was giving me major stuttering issues on live sports. I resolved that issue by simply turning the AMP off. I wish someone would have notified me thereof as it would have saved me a lot of head aches.

Good luck with it! I'd be willing to bet you'll be pleased!
Purenv likes this.
post #884 of 893 Old 12-05-2019, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
has anyone managed to get VRR working with Nvidia RTX cards after the recent updates?
post #885 of 893 Old 12-05-2019, 10:07 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by squatopotamus View Post
has anyone managed to get VRR working with Nvidia RTX cards after the recent updates?
Rtings evidently has gotten it working. See details here:
https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/moti...ync-compatible

I'll be testing this myself hopefully within a few days of getting my Q70 next week. I've got a new Ryzen 3900x/Nvidia 2080 Super based PC that I built a couple months ago that I'll be using this TV as it's monitor and will finally be able to utilize the new PC to it's potential.

Last edited by Incindium; 12-05-2019 at 10:10 AM.
post #886 of 893 Old 12-06-2019, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperco View Post
OK it turns out that its very difficult to find stand footprint info. I did an online chat and got the following info. If this is wrong, blame Samsung not me

Thank you for sharing this information. For clarification, whats is outboard and inboard?

Thank you
post #887 of 893 Old 12-06-2019, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLUDGE View Post
Thank you for sharing this information. For clarification, whats is outboard and inboard?

Thank you
The 82 and 85 have two locations where the legs can be installed. "Wider" or "narrower" (outboard or inboard).
SLUDGE likes this.
post #888 of 893 Old 12-06-2019, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 144
When I get my 82” a week from today, I will report back the inboard dimensions.
post #889 of 893 Old 12-06-2019, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello All, new here and just bought a 55Q70R during black friday. I have been trying to follow calibration settings from RTings but I am not seeing hdr+ setting, is there a secret menu to unlock things or did firmware remove it and it's not needed anymore? Also only seeing the TV stay in HDR mode instead of HDR10, if the videos I have seen are correct it should update to HDR10 if the movie is set for it but unsure, have only tested with Netflix and Disney+ movies/shows that show HDR10. I have a Roku Ultra attached with HDMI 2.0 and settings are set for 4k HDR.
post #890 of 893 Old Yesterday, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purenv View Post
When I get my 82” a week from today, I will report back the inboard dimensions.
Great!
post #891 of 893 Old Yesterday, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Which UHD player do you guys recommend to use with the Q70 ? I read elsewhere in this forum that it's best to use a Samsung player. Does that make sense ?
post #892 of 893 Old Yesterday, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
So I'm staring at a 55 inch Q70R. And also the suggested settings on Rtings.

I hit a snag. That didn't take long.

Rtings makes a point of calibrating for optimal sources, such as UHD Bluray or the equivalent from PC. I have discovered to my consternation that "Display Mode" will only offer "Standard" and "Dynamic" as options when I use any source but "TV", and "TV" is just whatever the unit can get from satellite. This is a problem, because pretty much the very first thing Rtings recommends changing is to set "Display Mode" to "Movie". The user manual agrees that this should be a thing, but it just isn't.

I had a chat with Samsung about this. After some very obvious confusion on their end, they eventually concluded that apparently it just only works for satellite, and satellite alone. The "preset" that is "Display Mode", for apparently no reason whatsoever, cannot be changed for any other source. And that not only doesn't jive with Rtings or the user manual, but it also makes this TV unique among every TV I've fiddled with in the last decade.

It also means I can't get anywhere close to the settings Rtings recommends for this TV.

What the heck gives?
post #893 of 893 Old Today, 12:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Separate issue. Windows 10 does not recognize the Q70R as anything more elaborate than "Generic PNP". I thought nothing of this at first, but that was before I discovered that when the TV is accepting 4k24fps, it zooms the image slightly, losing the edges and also losing the pixel-perfect frame. (I'm pretty sure it's losing exactly 64 pixels per left/right and 36 pixels per top/bottom. Based on photos I took.) This issue MAY have to do with the fact that the TV isn't being recognized by Windows 10. So I am hopeful somebody here has some insight into this.

Edit: Illustrated here. Top is 60fps. Bottom is 24fps. I also determined that it has the same problem with 23, 25 and 50fps sources.

Last edited by Colmino; Today at 01:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page