2019 Samsung Q70R QLED Owner's Thread - Page 33 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 272Likes

post #961 of 1236 Old 12-14-2019, 09:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Well guess I won't be testing running directly from PC to Q70 until I get a new HDMI cable. I need a 10ft cable to go directly to TV and bypass the AVR and the 10ft cable I have doesn't work with Input Signal Plus enabled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 1236 Old 12-14-2019, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7035 Post(s)
Liked: 7068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneki View Post
I'm disappointed with this TV to be honest.

I thought i had been just unluky with my first unit, when i noticed the BAD "dse" during games and movies. Exchanged with another one, and it is basically the same.
Turns out that it is not really a DSE issue, but what i see, is the led matrix behind the TV (wich is like dse for my eyes).

It is only noticeable when panning the camera across the sky in a game, or during fast motion scenes in a movie with a light color background (like blue or white).

Is it "normal"?

Ps. Ignore the screen protector in the pictures; i also digitally edited them to highlight the led matrix.
Normal to a degree, yes........ This would not be the first time I "read" about a complaint on DSE on Samsung Q series...... Might want to snag a OLED or Sony LED if it bothers you that much to give that a shot, then again you will be subject to their issues, as every TV has some type of "known" issue.
post #963 of 1236 Old 12-14-2019, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds75 View Post
Does anyone have the 49'' version of this set? How is the motion blur for fast sports action,with the 60htz panel? Thanks for any info.
I’ve got a 49” but haven’t watched sports since I got it a week ago. Been busy with other stuff. I’ll poke around this weekend. I’ll post.

Art Shotwell
Anacortes, Wash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #964 of 1236 Old 12-14-2019, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Question AirPlay on Q70R

I tried to use AirPlay from my iPad Air last night and could only get audio to work. Anyone else try AirPlay?

Art Shotwell
Anacortes, Wash.
post #965 of 1236 Old 12-14-2019, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1029 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incindium View Post
Well guess I won't be testing running directly from PC to Q70 until I get a new HDMI cable. I need a 10ft cable to go directly to TV and bypass the AVR and the 10ft cable I have doesn't work with Input Signal Plus enabled.

I got my HDMI 2.1 cables in today. And I can report some good news and some bad.

Good news: running the PC into HDMI 1 shows the option to enable g-sync as well as recognizes it as a Samsung monitor. 1440 120hz is working properly and using the arc to pass sound from HDMI 4 back to the receiver works also so no need to split the signal. Seems the tv has been upgraded to eArc? Can anyone confirm this as it does allow the option of atmos via arc. To me this all was my biggest concern so I am super happy that this works as expected.

Bad news: testing with the pendulum g-sync does not work despite being enabled.

Always destroying exergy!
post #966 of 1236 Old 12-14-2019, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by superkyle View Post
I got my HDMI 2.1 cables in today. And I can report some good news and some bad.

Good news: running the PC into HDMI 1 shows the option to enable g-sync as well as recognizes it as a Samsung monitor. 1440 120hz is working properly and using the arc to pass sound from HDMI 4 back to the receiver works also so no need to split the signal. Seems the tv has been upgraded to eArc? Can anyone confirm this as it does allow the option of atmos via arc. To me this all was my biggest concern so I am super happy that this works as expected.

Earc is not enabled on the TV....with the PC connected directly to the tv...it will enable G Sync/Free Sync...VRR and then pass digital audio through arc....it will not pass Atmos through....taking this long, I highly doubt they will add Earc....probably just add them to the 2020 models
post #967 of 1236 Old 12-14-2019, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

2019 Samsung Q70R QLED Owner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm2376 View Post
Earc is not enabled on the TV....with the PC connected directly to the tv...it will enable G Sync/Free Sync...VRR and then pass digital audio through arc....it will not pass Atmos through....taking this long, I highly doubt they will add Earc....probably just add them to the 2020 models

I did not think so but I read that it is going to be added via software upgrade (I’m not speaking of full HDMI 2.1) and there is this option which is what confused me...

Edit: I see that no matter what I can’t output higher than 2.1 though so clearly must not be working. Still more playing around to do until I find the best way to set this up.

Last edited by superkyle; 12-14-2019 at 01:13 PM.
post #968 of 1236 Old 12-14-2019, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well looks like unless Samsung implements eArc which it seems is unlikely the the best method I’ve got to work is to hook one HDMI to from the card to the TV and a display port to HDMI from the card to the receiver. This works but will cause you to have a second display. This second display can’t be turned off from what I gather since it will remove audio with it.

I attempted to plug it in through the receiver but doing so does not allow 1440 or gsync which doesn’t work anyways.

Love the TV but a little disappointed for the price that this is what I must resort to.

post #969 of 1236 Old 12-14-2019, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
I did not think so but I read that it is going to be added via software upgrade (I’m not speaking of full HDMI 2.1) and there is this option which is what confused me...

Edit: I see that no matter what I can’t output higher than 2.1 though so clearly must not be working. Still more playing around to do until I find the best way to set this up.
i am pretty sure that is for enabling atmos for tv apps like Netflix,vudu, prime etc.
superkyle likes this.
post #970 of 1236 Old 12-14-2019, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Is there much blooming/glow around the subtitles ? I'm trying to decide between the Q70 and a couple other TVs.

Thanks.
post #971 of 1236 Old 12-14-2019, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HDMI CEC Wierdness

When I first got the tv, HDMI CEC worked with no issues, allowing me to control my Nvidia Shield and PS4 with the remote if I so chose to do so One day it stopped working seemingly out of the blue. I toyed with the settings, and got it working again only for it to stop maybe 3 days later.

I ran into the same thing last week when trying to use it again, so I troubleshooted it. What Ive found is that when I connect my laptop to it, it seems to break CEC functionality until i unplug the hdmi connected to the pc from the tv, and then remove power from the tv for a few minutes.

Was just curious if anyone had run into anything similar as I see no mentions of it in this thread, or if anyone has any suggestions for me to try and resolve it..

Thanks in advance!
post #972 of 1236 Old 12-14-2019, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post
Is there much blooming/glow around the subtitles ? I'm trying to decide between the Q70 and a couple other TVs.

Thanks.
Name a show on Netflix, Amazon prime, Hulu, or Apple TV and I'll try to make time to check it out for you.
post #973 of 1236 Old 12-14-2019, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Anyone know the distance between the feet on the 55inch model trying to figure out if I need a new stand.
post #974 of 1236 Old 12-14-2019, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASKOAA View Post
Anyone know the distance between the feet on the 55inch model trying to figure out if I need a new stand.
about 37 inches if you mean inside foot to foot
post #975 of 1236 Old 12-14-2019, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperco View Post
Name a show on Netflix, Amazon prime, Hulu, or Apple TV and I'll try to make time to check it out for you.

Thanks. Any TV show or movie. The source shouldn't matter.
post #976 of 1236 Old 12-14-2019, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Can anyone tell me why "movie" is the only setting that seems to allow separate standard and HDR settings? I really hate this about this TV
post #977 of 1236 Old 12-15-2019, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

Thanks.
I don’t see any noticeable blooming around titles with Netflix or AppleTV internal apps or via other sources.

Art Shotwell
Anacortes, Wash.
post #978 of 1236 Old 12-15-2019, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds75 View Post
Does anyone have the 49'' version of this set? How is the motion blur for fast sports action,with the 60htz panel? Thanks for any info.
Just watching sports clips in a newscast...including fast moving football action, I haven’t spotted any motion blur. On my 49” Q70R.

Art Shotwell
Anacortes, Wash.
post #979 of 1236 Old 12-15-2019, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Can someone confirm if the 49" Q70 ships with a protective film on the screen? My 75" Q90 did, but it was VERY hard to identify. Someone in the Q90 thread tried to remove the film on his 82", but that size doesn't ship with one, so he ruined his screen.
post #980 of 1236 Old 12-15-2019, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artshotwell View Post
I don’t see any noticeable blooming around titles with Netflix or AppleTV internal apps or via other sources.
Thanks. I saw it in Vincent's review video. I wonder if it's only when using HDR ? He didn't say.
post #981 of 1236 Old 12-15-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:

I can also confirm that while directly connected to my Q70 from my PC I can get G-Sync to enable via Nvidia control panel however when using the G-SYNC Pendulum Demo you can see it is not working. Clicking between the different check boxes while the FPS is cycling between 40-60 the VSync selection actually looks best with the demo or with the test pattern. With G-Sync checked it has significant tearing about the same as the No VSync selection. It is really apparent when using the test pattern mode.

I also can confirm the ability to run 1440p at 120hz along with the audio being passed back to my AVR via ARC properly.

Hopefully the G-Sync can be fixed with a future firmware update. That not working is really the only real issue I have right now with this TV. Otherwise I've been really happy with the picture quality and it's performance especially using it for 4k media and gaming.
post #982 of 1236 Old 12-15-2019, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incindium View Post
I can also confirm that while directly connected to my Q70 from my PC I can get G-Sync to enable via Nvidia control panel however when using the G-SYNC Pendulum Demo you can see it is not working. Clicking between the different check boxes while the FPS is cycling between 40-60 the VSync selection actually looks best with the demo or with the test pattern. With G-Sync checked it has significant tearing about the same as the No VSync selection. It is really apparent when using the test pattern mode.

I also can confirm the ability to run 1440p at 120hz along with the audio being passed back to my AVR via ARC properly.

Hopefully the G-Sync can be fixed with a future firmware update. That not working is really the only real issue I have right now with this TV. Otherwise I've been really happy with the picture quality and it's performance especially using it for 4k media and gaming.

While the audio does pass back the issue is what it is passing back. To get full bandwidth sound I found you need to run another HDMI from the card to the receiver

post #983 of 1236 Old 12-15-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
While the audio does pass back the issue is what it is passing back. To get full bandwidth sound I found you need to run another HDMI from the card to the receiver
Do you have specifics on what the differences are? In my case I don't think I care as I'm only using it for normal PC audio and not streaming anything from my PC with any advanced Dolby stuff.

Edit:

Answering my own question:

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/hdmi-ar...ews-26262.html

But it also has the same limitations as the S/PDIF standard it replaces. Namely, it can't send HD or high-bit-rate audio used by standards like Dolby Atmos and DTS:X. This is especially irritating because downstream audio over HDMI can carry the signal with no problem; it's purely a limitation of the ARC spec.

Last edited by Incindium; 12-15-2019 at 04:00 PM.
post #984 of 1236 Old 12-15-2019, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
People on youtube are gaming in 1440p at 120fps but I can only manage 60fps at that resolution when I open up Nvidia control panel. Could it be my HDMI cable needs an upgrade or what is causing this to happen?
post #985 of 1236 Old 12-15-2019, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonikku View Post
People on youtube are gaming in 1440p at 120fps but I can only manage 60fps at that resolution when I open up Nvidia control panel. Could it be my HDMI cable needs an upgrade or what is causing this to happen?
You have your PC plugged directly into the TV or going to a receiver first? What are the specs on the HDMI cable you're using? What GPU? Which model/size of the TV?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
post #986 of 1236 Old 12-15-2019, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotShorty View Post
You have your PC plugged directly into the TV or going to a receiver first? What are the specs on the HDMI cable you're using? What GPU? Which model/size of the TV?

Plugged in directly from the video card, I have no receiver. I don't know the specs of the cable at a glance. 1080ti GPU. Q70R 82" tv.
post #987 of 1236 Old 12-15-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Plugged in directly from the video card, I have no receiver. I don't know the specs of the cable at a glance. 1080ti GPU. Q70R 82" tv.
Sounds like it should work. My best guess is the HDMI cable is the limiting factor, but I haven't gotten around to trying 1440p 120Hz on my PC/TV yet so sorry I can't be more helpful.

post #988 of 1236 Old 12-15-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotShorty View Post
Sounds like it should work. My best guess is the HDMI cable is the limiting factor, but I haven't gotten around to trying 1440p 120Hz on my PC/TV yet so sorry I can't be more helpful.

Is there a way to determine what spec a HDMI cable is?
post #989 of 1236 Old 12-15-2019, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Guys HDMI cables either work or they don't. There aren't different versions, just different quality levels.
post #990 of 1236 Old 12-15-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Is there a way to determine what spec a HDMI cable is?
Some of my cables have basic information printed on the jacket of the cable. From a quick search it looks like 1080p at 120 Hz only requires HDMI 1.4 whereas 1440p at 120 Hz requires HDMI 2.0 capabilities. This is the first TV I bought in a while and I'm not really a gamer. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page