2019 Samsung Q70R QLED Owner's Thread - Page 40 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 271Likes

post #1171 of 1217 Old 01-12-2020, 03:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is there a way to play true HD on this TV?

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1217 Old 01-12-2020, 05:35 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivaylo Georgiev View Post
Is there a way to play true HD on this TV?

No, the TV doesn't have eARC. You'll need an AVR and a device that has Dolby TrueHD.
post #1173 of 1217 Old 01-12-2020, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spewdom View Post
No, the TV doesn't have eARC. You'll need an AVR and a device that has Dolby TrueHD.
So, if I am understanding this correctly, there is no way to watch video files with DTS or True HD via the USB on the TV?
I think even with Plex you can't view those codecs...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1174 of 1217 Old 01-12-2020, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 243 Post(s)
Quoted: 4033 Post(s)
Liked: 3202
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolfek View Post
I am in the similar spot and 2 day owner. All is good so far except for one dark spot on the left edge (and VRR which I don't need for now). I usually see it when watching football because I know it is there, but it is not very distracting. On the other hand it is clearly visible on solid color backgrounds like in Ambient mode. I attached 5% grey picture and would like to see how yours looks like.

Would you consider this standard for the Q70R or is there a good chance to get a better panel if I try to replace it?
That looks like a left over from a pressure point on the panel while packaged. Use Micro cloth and massage out whole panel and see if that makes it look better.

UN65KS9800 - Mine
QN49Q70R / UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U in UJS9000 Mod Mode / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
UN55NU8000 X 2 - my 2 kids families (or should I say adults?)
post #1175 of 1217 Old 01-12-2020, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivaylo Georgiev View Post
So, if I am understanding this correctly, there is no way to watch video files with DTS or True HD via the USB on the TV?
I think even with Plex you can't view those codecs...

Correct. Plex on Shield TV Pro -> Denon AVR-S750H -> Q7D is working great for me. Handles everything I've thrown at it so far.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
post #1176 of 1217 Old 01-12-2020, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
That looks like a left over from a pressure point on the panel while packaged. Use Micro cloth and massage out whole panel and see if that makes it look better.
Now my concern is that the seller will shift the blame to me. I am pretty sure we didn't put the palm on the screen at any point. Also, it is in the place where the protective band was placed. What kind of pressure is necessary for permanent damage?

I will definitely try to replace it so I will not risk leaving any marks that could give them the reason to reject the replacement. Thanks for the tip anyway, I will probably try it if I end up with this one for whatever reason.
post #1177 of 1217 Old 01-12-2020, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Apple app is crushing black detail in some movies.... I compared it to the Apple 4k and it’️s crushing movies like Pacific Rim, Last Witch Hunter and The Nun to name a few.... now it isn’️t consistent bc some movies it’️s not crushing but for some reason it is doing it...... disappointing. It also appears to be just Apple bc Vudu isn't doing it.....but I was hoping to be not need the Apple 4k for this and to move it to the bedroom but Apple has probably the highest bitrate on their movies.

Last edited by MASKOAA; 01-12-2020 at 06:12 PM.
post #1178 of 1217 Old 01-12-2020, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Could someone please tell me why freesync basic is greyed out on Q70R, with Xbox One X. Any help would be greatly appreciated
post #1179 of 1217 Old 01-13-2020, 03:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I watch IPTV using Smart IPTV app and an m3u list. On many channels the sound disappears and when it gets back it's unsynched. Does anyone have a similar problem? My internet connection is definitely not an issue here as the same m3u list works well on my other devices.
post #1180 of 1217 Old 01-13-2020, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfan77 View Post
Could someone please tell me why freesync basic is greyed out on Q70R, with Xbox One X. Any help would be greatly appreciated
do you have the xbox directly plugged in to the tv? If so, did you go into the video setting on your xbox and enable low input latency and variable refresh rate? If you have it through your soundbar, freesync will not work
post #1181 of 1217 Old 01-13-2020, 10:34 AM

Liked: 3
Hi,
I have my Q70R connected via HDMI Arc to my "old" Samsung HW-610 soundstand which supports DTS (as you can see here) but when I try to play an MKV with a DTS 5.1 audio track that I have on my Synology NAS (via DS Video app or directly via DLNA) it says "Audio Data not supported" (I don't know the exact message in english, I see it in Italian but the meaning is that it does not support DTS audio data).. I'm sure I've played via Synology the same video on my previous TV (Samsung KS7000) and it worked, but I don't know if this is due to the fact that KS7000 supported DTS or that Synology was transcoding audio data and now it's not doing it anymore for some mysterious reasons.

As far as you know, should the TV be able to play DTS audio data? It is supported by my old HW-610 so I find it strange that the TV is not able to send it to the HW-610, but I'm not an expert so I'm asking for your opinion/help.
post #1182 of 1217 Old 01-13-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm2376 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfan77 View Post
do you have the xbox directly plugged in to the tv? If so, did you go into the video setting on your xbox and enable low input latency and variable refresh rate? If you have it through your soundbar, freesync will not work
Hi, yes I am direct to the TV on HDMI 2. VRR is enabled on the console. Also, I should have mentioned "Freesync Ultimate" works fine...just no "Basic".
post #1183 of 1217 Old 01-13-2020, 01:29 PM

PC VRR G-Sync/Freesync is working for me? Maybe I'm missing something but I read on this forum and the Samsung forum that GSYNC/Freesync VRR isn't working when you connect a PC to a Q70R. Some posts were hours old so I had little hope when I decided to try it myself this weekend. I just bought The Outer Worlds and wanted to try PC gaming on the bigscreen vs my PS4 Pro.

I have a 65" Q7D (Costco version of Q70R) and a PC with a GTX 1080 TI. No other displays connected. It booted up into 4K60. Opened up nvidia control panel and changed resolution to [email protected] (120Hz was not available). On the TV, Enabled game mode and input signal plus. Freesync was set to Ultimate (I think this was automatically set as soon as I turned on game mode). On the PC, 120Hz appeared as a refresh rate option and was selected. This is where I hit a wall.

I did not see any G-SYNC/VRR options in the Nvidia control panel. When I had my gaming monitor connected, there was an option to enable it.

I know you can enable/disable VRR in the Nvidia Pendulum app so I decided to give that a try. I was disappointed because when I clicked the GSYNC checkbox to turn it on, it would show the check but then uncheck and go back to the VSYNC off.

I almost gave up. Did some more searching online with no luck. I went back to the pendulum app and noticed that there was no tearing. I didn't even bother to actually look for tearing earlier. Swapped it to the vertical bars mode and same thing. No tears. Tested VSYNC ON & OFF and could see noticeable skips with VSYNC ON, but no tears either way. Grabbed the samsung remote and set Freesync to Off. The screen went black and then back to normal.....with tearing. Tearing was very obvious in the vertical bars mode. Set Freesync to Ultimate, launched Outer Worlds, grabbed a dualshock, and called it a victory....

Still not 100% convinced. I wish there was a "VRR" indicator on the status bar like it does with "HDR".
post #1184 of 1217 Old 01-14-2020, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cizz View Post
PC VRR G-Sync/Freesync is working for me? Maybe I'm missing something but I read on this forum and the Samsung forum that GSYNC/Freesync VRR isn't working when you connect a PC to a Q70R. Some posts were hours old so I had little hope when I decided to try it myself this weekend. I just bought The Outer Worlds and wanted to try PC gaming on the bigscreen vs my PS4 Pro.

I have a 65" Q7D (Costco version of Q70R) and a PC with a GTX 1080 TI. No other displays connected. It booted up into 4K60. Opened up nvidia control panel and changed resolution to [email protected] (120Hz was not available). On the TV, Enabled game mode and input signal plus. Freesync was set to Ultimate (I think this was automatically set as soon as I turned on game mode). On the PC, 120Hz appeared as a refresh rate option and was selected. This is where I hit a wall.

I did not see any G-SYNC/VRR options in the Nvidia control panel. When I had my gaming monitor connected, there was an option to enable it.

I know you can enable/disable VRR in the Nvidia Pendulum app so I decided to give that a try. I was disappointed because when I clicked the GSYNC checkbox to turn it on, it would show the check but then uncheck and go back to the VSYNC off.

I almost gave up. Did some more searching online with no luck. I went back to the pendulum app and noticed that there was no tearing. I didn't even bother to actually look for tearing earlier. Swapped it to the vertical bars mode and same thing. No tears. Tested VSYNC ON & OFF and could see noticeable skips with VSYNC ON, but no tears either way. Grabbed the samsung remote and set Freesync to Off. The screen went black and then back to normal.....with tearing. Tearing was very obvious in the vertical bars mode. Set Freesync to Ultimate, launched Outer Worlds, grabbed a dualshock, and called it a victory....

Still not 100% convinced. I wish there was a "VRR" indicator on the status bar like it does with "HDR".
I don't think GTX 10 series is supported for VRR over HDMI, only RTX 20 and GTX 16 Series. I will repeat your test when I get home with and without GSYNC compatible enabled. I tested it once in one game and the screen was mostly black with occasional frame from game showing up. Had to ALT+F4 to close the game.
post #1185 of 1217 Old 01-14-2020, 01:04 PM

Liked: 3
Hi,
I want to share with you my experience with WiFi 5Ghz and Q70R: my previous Samsung KS7000 TV was working fine with the 5Ghz WiFi network of my MikroTik Access Point,
while this tv could not connect on the 5Ghz band. I've asked support via live chat to Samsung and they've told me that I'd better use 2.4Ghz frequency. I thought it was not a problem, until I've found an Mkv video file that had streaming problems via WiFi, because the TV was using only a single 20Mhz channel on the 2.4Ghz band. I've changed the 5Ghz configuration of my AP, set the following parameters, et voilà, TV is working fine on 5Ghz band with no streaming issues with high bitrate videos sent over the lan. This is the configuration of the 5Ghz wireless interface of my AP:

set [ find default-name=wlan2 ] antenna-gain=3 band=5ghz-a/n/ac channel-width=20/40/80mhz-Ceee comment="WiFi 5Ghz 802.11ac" \
country=italy disabled=no distance=indoors frequency=auto frequency-mode=regulatory-domain mode=ap-bridge ssid=MikAlix-5Ghz \
wireless-protocol=802.11

These are the connection parameters showed on my AP for the wireless client related to the Q70R:

Tx Rate 702Mbps-80MHz/2S
Rx Rate 585Mbps-80MHz/2S

Hope it can be useful to someone else, never give up when samsung supports says to do it
post #1186 of 1217 Old 01-14-2020, 02:32 PM

Quote:
I don't think GTX 10 series is supported for VRR over HDMI, only RTX 20 and GTX 16 Series. I will repeat your test when I get home with and without GSYNC compatible enabled. I tested it once in one game and the screen was mostly black with occasional frame from game showing up. Had to ALT+F4 to close the game.
I couldn't conclude anything except that GSYNC doesn't work. Don't think looking at tearing is reliable as I couldn't connect no tearing to any specific setting. When GSYNC is enabled there is a black screen flickering.
post #1187 of 1217 Old 01-15-2020, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

The backlight setting in SDR seems to peak at around 34 then when you go higher it starts crushing shadow detail....anyone else notice that? You have to set local dimming to a lower setting for a bright daytime image otherwise he 2 options interfere with eachother. Funny that rtings never mentioned it.
post #1188 of 1217 Old 01-15-2020, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASKOAA View Post
The backlight setting in SDR seems to peak at around 34 then when you go higher it starts crushing shadow detail....anyone else notice that? You have to set local dimming to a lower setting for a bright daytime image otherwise he 2 options interfere with eachother. Funny that rtings never mentioned it.
Yep, that's if you have Local Dimming on High and Contrast Enhancer on Low. Turn Local Dimming to Standard and leave Contrast Enhancer off for SDR and you can turn the backlight all the way to 50 if you desire. The brightness gets close to HDR.
post #1189 of 1217 Old 01-15-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
I am in the similar spot and 2 day owner. All is good so far except for one dark spot on the left edge (and VRR which I don't need for now). I usually see it when watching football because I know it is there, but it is not very distracting. On the other hand it is clearly visible on solid color backgrounds like in Ambient mode. I attached 5% grey picture and would like to see how yours looks like.

Would you consider this standard for the Q70R or is there a good chance to get a better panel if I try to replace it?
I replaced it and I am much happier with the new one. There are some changes along the borders of the screen, but so far (few hours) I don't notice it in normal conditions. Unfortunately this one seems to have a scratch on the frame. It is not really noticeable from any distance so I might keep it anyway if everything else works well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tv2 ekran.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	2670416   Click image for larger version

Name:	tv2 ogrebotina.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	483.3 KB
ID:	2670418  
post #1190 of 1217 Old 01-15-2020, 10:46 PM

Quote:
I replaced it and I am much happier with the new one. There are some changes along the borders of the screen, but so far (few hours) I don't notice it in normal conditions. Unfortunately this one seems to have a scratch on the frame. It is not really noticeable from any distance so I might keep it anyway if everything else works well.
Black felt marker pen, and wipe off right away with your finger. Should make the scratch less noticeable.

UN65KS9800 - Mine
QN49Q70R / UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U in UJS9000 Mod Mode / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
post #1191 of 1217 Old 01-16-2020, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

Is there any other way to disable powering on your Xbox everytime you turn on the TV besides deleting it and just putting the general game console icon on it instead of it recognizing It as an xbox?

Also is there any downside to doing it this way?

Last edited by MASKOAA; 01-16-2020 at 05:57 AM.
post #1192 of 1217 Old 01-16-2020, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately, replacement TV is not good either. Not sure if it is one dead pixel or more. Trying to figure out if I should try 3rd or just get something else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tv2 pikseli.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	2670636  
post #1193 of 1217 Old 01-16-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately, replacement TV is not good either. Not sure if it is one dead pixel or more. Trying to figure out if I should try 3rd or just get something else.

Looking at your pictures from a couple posts up, I also see a large amount of dead pixels in the bottom right corner. Are those really there or is that just an artifact on the digital photo? If they are there you should definitely get it replaced again.
post #1194 of 1217 Old 01-16-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownrai View Post
Looking at your pictures from a couple posts up, I also see a large amount of dead pixels in the bottom right corner. Are those really there or is that just an artifact on the digital photo? If they are there you should definitely get it replaced again.
Icon to close full screen photo is in the bottom right corner. Dead pixel(s) on the closeup photo are in the left bottom area of the screen. I will definitely replace it, just not sure with what.
post #1195 of 1217 Old 01-16-2020, 01:40 PM

Liked: 11
Question, I bought the 55" Q7D from Costco replacing an older Samsung I had. My Spectrum cable DVR and Blu-Ray are plugged into my Denon Receiver via HDMI and the receiver is connected to the TV using HDMI to the HDMI 4 ARC. The tv works great once I got the sound features set correctly, and my Amazon Echo turns the set and receiver on perfectly. But when I play a Blu-Ray disc, I'm getting some buffering circles and the picture keeps going to black off and on. I've checked for loose cables and all is fine. I have a Chromecast connected by HDMI to the receiver also and that works fine. This all worked great with my old Samsung, all I did was connect the new set, and fix the sound settings in the Denon. When I want to watch a disc, I tell Alexa to turn on the Sony, and she turns it on and switches the receiver to BR, using a Harmony Hub. Nothing has changed, but now it's doing this buffering thing that makes watching discs impossible. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Last edited by JohninLA; 01-17-2020 at 12:38 PM.
post #1196 of 1217 Old 01-16-2020, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I know its probably unlikely but i wonder if there is at least a small chance that samsung gives in and adds dolby vision via a firmware update. From what i understand the qleds could handle it
post #1197 of 1217 Old 01-16-2020, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8523 View Post
I know its probably unlikely but i wonder if there is at least a small chance that samsung gives in and adds dolby vision via a firmware update. From what i understand the qleds could handle it

No chance
post #1198 of 1217 Old 01-16-2020, 08:18 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone know the Freesync range on these sets. Also in the Xbox home page I noticed some visual issues when scrolling up and down with Freesync on that disappeared when j turned it off.

Edit found out freesync causes inverse ghosting which is what I was seeing....shut it off

Last edited by MASKOAA; 01-17-2020 at 05:48 AM.
post #1199 of 1217 Old 01-17-2020, 06:06 AM

Actually I can confirm that everything (every file and format) is running with no issues when using PLEX Media Server! TRUE-HD, DTS, everything plays flawlessly.

Can someone enlighten me a little with that claim "Samsung's 2019 Q series are having HDM 2.1 features but are using HDMI 2.0"
Thanks.
post #1200 of 1217 Old 01-17-2020, 12:39 PM

Calibration issues ?

Issues with calibrating Red on this set:

To get the CMS Red as low as possible (5 was the lowest value I could get it to.)

Had to raise Backlight to 50, and put Color at 26

So main settings are: 50 0 41 0 26 0 50/50

2 Point: Gains: 4 0 5 Offsets: 5 0 -6

Custom Color: Red: 55 34 0
Green: 72 64 0
Blue: 0 18 68
Yellow: 66 80 0
Cyan: 100 88 89
Magenta: 97 90 100

So Secondaries fell almost all on the Zero line, Primaries Red was elevated at 5, Green and Blue were around 1

Concerned where I couldn't complete a complete calibration due to the 0's and 100's

Has anyone else calibrating this set run into issues? Were you able come up with a fix?

Awaiting any replies before attempting 20 Point in case I'm missing anything.

UN65KS9800 - Mine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page