2019 Samsung Q70R QLED Owner's Thread - Page 52 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 304Likes

post #1531 of 1573 Old 03-19-2020, 05:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimpydingo View Post
Black crush is minimal and really dont see any blooming, esp in comparison to my older Vizio.
Black crush, for me, requires context. Since I sit a few feet away from the screen, my FOV with it is around 80 degrees. This means the entire image is vignetted due to the awful VA panel viewing angle. It's so bad that even the comparatively subtle difference between left and right eye can make me feel a little like I'm losing sight in one eye. But the real problem here is that when the image is darker, such as a nighttime moment in a game, the vignette is inversed—brighter on the edges and dark in the center. Dark to the point that it's pretty badly crushed. No doubt due to the backlight bleeding in from the edges, or something along those lines. It effectively forces me to take steps to ensure my games never get too dark, which removes some of their appeal. This facet is definitely a strong downgrade from my 10-year-old LG IPS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 1573 Old 03-19-2020, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colmino View Post
Quote:
Black crush is minimal and really dont see any blooming, esp in comparison to my older Vizio.
Black crush, for me, requires context. Since I sit a few feet away from the screen, my FOV with it is around 80 degrees. This means the entire image is vignetted due to the awful VA panel viewing angle. It's so bad that even the comparatively subtle difference between left and right eye can make me feel a little like I'm losing sight in one eye. But the real problem here is that when the image is darker, such as a nighttime moment in a game, the vignette is inversed—brighter on the edges and dark in the center. Dark to the point that it's pretty badly crushed. No doubt due to the backlight bleeding in from the edges, or something along those lines. It effectively forces me to take steps to ensure my games never get too dark, which removes some of their appeal. This facet is definitely a strong downgrade from my 10-year-old LG IPS.
My Vizio was an IPS as well. I am not seeing major viewing angle issues on my panel. My 2013 Sammy 3D tv loses all color and gets wacky contrast when viewed from an angle. I've owned around 7 panels from plasma to qled and have seen these various issues.

Sucks you and others are having issues. Hate to be that guy, but you admit you are sitting too close. I sit about 10 feet back and no vignette, no bloom, no bleeding light edges, no clouding. I get there is the lotto that we all unwittingly and I seemed to have lucked out. I play a lot of game and understand dark scenes getting crushed or blooming with text on a black background. I've gone back and forth between my monitor and tv to check if there is crush happening or its just the way the scene is lit. I have a dark desktop image that I was able to get the same details to come out as to could see on the monitor.
post #1533 of 1573 Old 03-19-2020, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrie201 View Post
Last one
Yeah, right. Try adjusting your camera's exposure to show what it really looks like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1534 of 1573 Old 03-20-2020, 01:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I don't know if someone already posted it, but my Q70R have just auto-updated its firmware to 1352.. anyone knows what it introduced/fixed?

BTW, I've tried to control my tv with Alexa app on my iPhone with smart things skill installed, but Alexa app sees the TV set only as a power switch, which can be ordered only to be powered on/off Samsung support told me that it is due to the fact that I'm using Alexa app instead of a device like amazon echo, is it true? I thought it was more a matter of firmware in Italy which did not expose the APIs to Alexa to see the Q70R as a TV and not as a simple power switch.. if some of you can control the TV via an amazon device like the echo, can it try to control it directly via Alexa app and see if what the support told me is true?

Thanks for any help
post #1535 of 1573 Old 03-20-2020, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianni Costanzi View Post
I don't know if someone already posted it, but my Q70R have just auto-updated its firmware to 1352.. anyone knows what it introduced/fixed?
Just checked for a new update and version 1356 is available. Wonder what it does.
post #1536 of 1573 Old 03-20-2020, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Still 1351.3 here in the USA

Cheers,
Jeff
LG 65UHD/Denon/OppO/HTPC/PS4/NHT/HSU/7.1
PSN: Krondorian
XBL: Midkemian
Twitter: @Krondo_jd
post #1537 of 1573 Old 03-20-2020, 09:30 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedn View Post
Just purchased the 55" Q70R to replace my Panasonic 42PX60U. Question on audio hookup:

I have an older Denon AVR 1910 which does not support HDMI-ARC. Up until now, all inputs went to the AVR, and I used HDMI output to the TV. But because the new TV supports much higher resolution, I want all of the HDMI inputs to run direct to TV. So what is the best way to get audio back to the AVR. Is my only option Optical? Do I lose any formats if the TV sends audio via Optical TOS link to the AVR? I was kind of hoping I could use the HDMI-ARC output on the TV and run a cable to one of the HDMI inputs on the receiver, but that does not seem to work. I assume for ARC to work both boxes have to support it.

Do I lose anything from an audio content perspective if I use the optical output on the TV?

Thanks.
Toslink supports PCM, DD, DTS, you maybe able to get compressed 5.1, but no 7.1. Most stuff will come out stereo unless you matrix via AVR. Time for a new AVR.

I have an old Yamaha rx-v861, no ARC. My setup is different as its hooked to my PC so I can have an HDMI to tv for video and another to AVR for surround sound. I am waiting on HDMI 2.1 AVR's before I upgrade.
post #1538 of 1573 Old 03-20-2020, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It's been awhile since I've done anything with home theater in awhile due to a busy life but finally pulled the trigger on the 82" version at Costco ($2250 seemed like too good of a deal to pass up). I went back and forth between this and a Q80 and a Sony 900F and 950G but the price to perfomance ultimately made me give in to the Q70 as we moved and had a great spot for a large tv.

Initially turning it on and hooking up anything HDMI I was completely underwhelmed and it looked like something was almost wrong (both Spectrum cable and bluray movies) but Netflix and Prime looked amazing. Anything HDMI was blurry and not sharp no matter what settings I changed. So I did a factory reset and then everything looked much better (maybe I picked a bad setting or something, not sure). In any event watched a movie with the picture in Standard picture mode with nothing changed and thought it looked great.

I spent all morning messing with settings and I used the rtings.com settings adjusting movie mode and it looks good, but colors feel a little more muted than I like. BluRay movies look pretty good but cable not as much. I know this is the most accurate picture but it doesn't wow me in this mode. Accuracy and clarity does, but colors do not.

Actually after messing with what I feel like every setting was natural mode with warm1 instead of the default warm2. Especially cable tv seems fantastic and the picture wows me again. Anyone else not do movie mode? And if you went more on the natural mode, anything to you changed to make it even better?

Love the tv either way, but as someone who tinkers always trying to make it better. Jack Ryan on Prime, it floored me how good it looked and didn't change anything there. I haven't even figured out how to change the HDR settings yet, maybe I shouldn't.

Last edited by slider34z; 03-20-2020 at 09:55 AM.
post #1539 of 1573 Old 03-20-2020, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 248 Post(s)
Quoted: 4132 Post(s)
Liked: 3278
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider34z View Post
It's been awhile since I've done anything with home theater in awhile due to a busy life but finally pulled the trigger on the 82" version at Costco ($2250 seemed like too good of a deal to pass up). I went back and forth between this and a Q80 and a Sony 900F and 950G but the price to perfomance ultimately made me give in to the Q70 as we moved and had a great spot for a large tv.

Initially turning it on and hooking up anything HDMI I was completely underwhelmed and it looked like something was almost wrong (both Spectrum cable and bluray movies) but Netflix and Prime looked amazing. Anything HDMI was blurry and not sharp no matter what settings I changed. So I did a factory reset and then everything looked much better (maybe I picked a bad setting or something, not sure). In any event watched a movie with the picture in Standard picture mode with nothing changed and thought it looked great.

I spent all morning messing with settings and I used the rtings.com settings adjusting movie mode and it looks good, but colors feel a little more muted than I like. BluRay movies look pretty good but cable not as much. I know this is the most accurate picture but it doesn't wow me in this mode. Accuracy and clarity does, but colors do not.

Actually after messing with what I feel like every setting was natural mode with warm1 instead of the default warm2. Especially cable tv seems fantastic and the picture wows me again. Anyone else not do movie mode? And if you went more on the natural mode, anything to you changed to make it even better?

Love the tv either way, but as someone who tinkers always trying to make it better. Jack Ryan on Prime, it floored me how good it looked and didn't change anything there. I haven't even figured out how to change the HDR settings yet, maybe I shouldn't.
Run it in Store Mode for a couple of hours to break it in.

UN65KS9800 - Mine
QN49Q70R / UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 (JS9000 Mod Mode) / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U (JS9000 Mod Mode) / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
UN55NU8000 X 2 - my 2 kids families (or should I say adults?)
post #1540 of 1573 Old 03-21-2020, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrie201 View Post
Pictures on the Xbox one X in game in mode in total dark room
I posted before that i was seeing the same type of issue. When game mode on in a dark room you can see the clouding. Same for hdr. Ive read elsewhere it can be common and normal. But thats also with local dimming set to high. When i put local dimming on standard and dont use game mode it but all disappears. Im on my 4th panel and not sure i really want to go through that again and risk a lot of dse and dead pixels which thent use game mode others had but it def is annoying

Last edited by dave8523; 03-21-2020 at 10:14 AM.
post #1541 of 1573 Old 03-21-2020, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Happy with my new Q70R-65. Anyone have any luck turning off the annoying "Smart" menu. I want none of it.
post #1542 of 1573 Old 03-21-2020, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8523 View Post
I posted before that i was seeing the same type of issue. When game mode on in a dark room you can see the clouding. Same for hdr. Ive read elsewhere it can be common and normal. But thats also with local dimming set to high. When i put local dimming on standard and dont use game mode it but all disappears. Im on my 4th panel and not sure i really want to go through that again and risk a lot of dse and dead pixels which thent use game mode others had but it def is annoying
I thought the LocalDimming shut off during Game Mode ?

UN65KS9800 - Mine
QN49Q70R / UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 (JS9000 Mod Mode) / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U (JS9000 Mod Mode) / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
post #1543 of 1573 Old 03-21-2020, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
Quote:
No you can change it. But i think the only way to really get the clouding gone is to turn it off. The ppl who said they have none at all i question, or they just got really lucky. It seems to be an inherent flaw with lcd's
post #1544 of 1573 Old 03-21-2020, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3198 Post(s)
Liked: 3955
Quote:
It is on my 82, terrible clouding with game mode enabled.
post #1545 of 1573 Old 03-21-2020, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
On movie mode (while watching UHD discs), does anybody have their brightness set above zero?

I've had a play around with the settings and now have everything pretty much where I want it, but I'm just concerned about black crushing as some scenes I watch seem a little "too black". But for all I know, its the way its meant to be.

Also have Contrast Enhancer set to low as without it, it definitely dolls the image.

Everything else is basically default.
post #1546 of 1573 Old 03-22-2020, 06:24 AM

Would bias lighting help at all with not noticing some clouding as much, or at least reduce it? Ive read that sometimes it does help
post #1547 of 1573 Old 03-22-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Would bias lighting help at all with not noticing some clouding as much, or at least reduce it? Ive read that sometimes it does help
Has anyone tried gently massaging their panels with the micro fibre cloth to alleviate the issue. Sometimes what you're seeing is the panel layers have become separated during shipping, and just have to be gently massaged back into place.

UN65KS9800 - Mine
post #1548 of 1573 Old 03-22-2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Has anyone tried gently massaging their panels with the micro fibre cloth to alleviate the issue. Sometimes what you're seeing is the panel layers have become separated during shipping, and just have to be gently massaged back into place.
I actually tried this last night. I dont think it did much but i didnt do it for long out of fear of messing something up. Not sure i did it right either. I didnt realize youre supposed to go in a circular motion. Whats the proper way to do it?
post #1549 of 1573 Old 03-22-2020, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider34z View Post

Use whatever looks good to you. Depends a lot on your viewing room. I do not care for movie, I think it’s too dark and muted. I also don’t like either warm setting. It’s ok for streaming but not cable.
post #1550 of 1573 Old 03-23-2020, 03:21 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
How bad is the local dimming/black crush and the lack of brightness?

Thinking about switching the 65" X900E to a 82" Q7R.

Last edited by stuk; Today at 07:21 AM.
post #1551 of 1573 Old 03-23-2020, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^I own the 82, and its bright enough for day time use, and performs well with HDR, there is a bit of crush, could be the agressive dimming on certain dark scenes, bit it doesnt bother me. One flaw that this set definitely has is with reflections...dont put a light source in front of it.
stuk likes this.

Last edited by Cam1977; 03-23-2020 at 09:08 PM.
post #1552 of 1573 Old 03-26-2020, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Quote:
Hate to be that guy, but you admit you are sitting too close. I sit about 10 feet back and no vignette, no bloom, no bleeding light edges, no clouding.
You won't see clouding on a Samsung unless you've specifically told it to disable its global dimming (service menu), and are of course strictly using PC Mode (and 60Hz only). That's probably fewer than 1 in 10,000 users. Samsung thinks this is a good thing, crushing the life out of dark scenes. You can't fault them, because the number of people who catch on to the phenomenon and raise issue with it is acceptably low.

I disagree that I'm "sitting too close", however. More and more users use HDTVs as PC monitors, and it's a function that even Samsung has technically acceptable support for. PC users situate their display device on their desk. A desk reasonably does not extend more than perhaps three feet backwards. This is how it is. I'll add that once you've adjusted to having your screen take up 70 to 80 degrees of your FOV, going back is laughable. Probably the same way users of 32-inch monitors (or multi-display setups) feel about the olden days of 15-inchers.

Besides, there's this chart:

According to it, I'm right on the edge of getting the most out of 4K, and upgrading to 8K at the same FOV would almost be a waste. I'll point out that I would definitely get something out of 8K, but also admit that it would be a rather diminished return at that point. And yet... 8K is what's on our horizon. That puts to task the idea that 80 degrees' FOV is too close.
post #1553 of 1573 Old 03-30-2020, 07:52 AM

Liked: 0
Is my Q70R spying?

Hi all. I've got the 2019 82" Samsung Q70R. I'm just wondering how exactly this thing is spying on me. Most devices do these days, and I remove it if at all possible. I've looked along the front of the TV, and unless I'm blind, I don't see any forward facing camera. Is there one?

Next, where are the microphones. I think there is one in the remote, and you're supposed to have to press a button to activate it. Of course they have it listening all the time. But that one is easy. I'll simply take apart the remote, and clip the wires to the mic. In a way that can't accidentally make contact again. But is there one in the TV?

Lastly, how about in those modern speaker bar systems? I've got the $900 Harmon Kardon sound bar and sub. You wouldn't think so, but these days you've got to ask. These scumbags are some spying mofo's these days.
post #1554 of 1573 Old 03-30-2020, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked: 3022
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennylava View Post
Hi all. I've got the 2019 82" Samsung Q70R. I'm just wondering how exactly this thing is spying on me. Most devices do these days, and I remove it if at all possible. I've looked along the front of the TV, and unless I'm blind, I don't see any forward facing camera. Is there one?

Next, where are the microphones. I think there is one in the remote, and you're supposed to have to press a button to activate it. Of course they have it listening all the time. But that one is easy. I'll simply take apart the remote, and clip the wires to the mic. In a way that can't accidentally make contact again. But is there one in the TV?

Lastly, how about in those modern speaker bar systems? I've got the $900 Harmon Kardon sound bar and sub. You wouldn't think so, but these days you've got to ask. These scumbags are some spying mofo's these days.
Read your manual, particularly paying close attention to settings regarding privacy. As you wish, shut 'em down.

Related:

https://www.samsung.com/us/account/privacy-policy/

Good luck. Stay safe from Samsung, too.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #1555 of 1573 Old 03-30-2020, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1622 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:

I hope don't have a smart phone, don't use google or siri, don't buy from Amazon and have an Alexa device, or have google home. I wouldn't trust any of the Chinese TVs either (Hisense and TCL are partially owned by the communist Chinese gov) as the the Chinese are known to bury little spying HW/SW everywhere. Plus surveillance cameras are everywhere today. Hopefully you have nothing to hide.
post #1556 of 1573 Old 03-30-2020, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Q7DR frequent flickering and backlight went out

Looking for some opinions. I just bought a Q7DR from costco. It was working fine for the first few days. I started noticing a lot of brightness flickering throughout shows I was watching. It would do this maybe 1-2 times every 5 minutes or so. Today the flickering started kind of pulsating across the horizontal middle of the TV. Then the middle backlight, I'm guessing, just turned off resulting in the picture I attached. I did a reset on the TV and it started back up normal, but I keep seeing the same flashing that I now think seems to come from that same horizontal middle. So, is this another definite return? This is my second one. The first had dead pixels straight out of the box. Thanks for any input!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1808.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	2703750  
post #1557 of 1573 Old 03-30-2020, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^I've never seen anything like that, unfortunately, at least imo I would return that one.
post #1558 of 1573 Old 03-30-2020, 10:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:

Make sure not to connect the tv to your WiFi or cable tv system. That should help.

Art Shotwell
Anacortes, Wash.

Last edited by artshotwell; 03-30-2020 at 10:40 PM.
post #1559 of 1573 Old 03-31-2020, 03:40 PM

Who would spend how much money on personnel to spy on the ordinary joe ? How many people would this spying require ? Doesn't make monetary sense!

Be more concerned your ex has a hidden camera somewhere !

UN65KS9800 - Mine
post #1560 of 1573 Old 03-31-2020, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked: 455
I just replaced my 82NU8000 with the 82Q7D. With the Q, after setting the sound to go through my Sony STR-1050 via optical, everything works fine for awhile then suddenly it reverts back to the Q's TV speakers. I go back into the settings and it shows that the sound is set to TV speakers. I reset it to Optical and all is fine then it happens again. This has happened at least 30 times during the week I've owned the Q. I have switched out the batteries on both remotes. Went to reset and rebooted the TV. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page