2019 Samsung Q70R QLED Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 56 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 336Likes

post #1651 of 2026 Old 04-21-2020, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 994 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by powertoburn View Post
I am so far loving my 85” it looks great with 4K content and Blu-Ray and streaming content from Apple TV 4K. The only issue I have with DirecTV is some channels look horrible mainly local HD channels in Los Angeles, CA and some cable networks. The channels look soft and can see the compression. I didn’t have this issue to this extreme on my previous TV 65” Sony 4K. The HD premium movie channels HBO / SHOWTIME look pretty good as they are not so compressed. I tried Digital Clean View but this did not seem to improve the picture much. I am using the C61K-700 client with HS17 server. I turned Auto Motion Plus off as I was getting some off weird motion artifacts mainly on sitcoms with Custom Judder 0 / Blur 0. Any settings I can try to improve the picture quality for DirecTV? Channel 104 the 4K channel does look very good!
In my experience what you are seeing is just poor broadcast quality. Jumping from 65 inch to 85 inch brings this more to your attention. Even the major networks are at the mercy of the specific studios shooting a program.
Thrust-Bot likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 2026 Old 04-21-2020, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
I am so far loving my 85” it looks great with 4K content and Blu-Ray and streaming content from Apple TV 4K. The only issue I have with DirecTV is some channels look horrible mainly local HD channels in Los Angeles, CA and some cable networks. The channels look soft and can see the compression. I didn’t have this issue to this extreme on my previous TV 65” Sony 4K. The HD premium movie channels HBO / SHOWTIME look pretty good as they are not so compressed. I tried Digital Clean View but this did not seem to improve the picture much. I am using the C61K-700 client with HS17 server. I turned Auto Motion Plus off as I was getting some off weird motion artifacts mainly on sitcoms with Custom Judder 0 / Blur 0. Any settings I can try to improve the picture quality for DirecTV? Channel 104 the 4K channel does look very good!
For local channels I get less compression with my OTA antenna (compared to Locast streaming since I don't have cable/satellite).

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
post #1653 of 2026 Old 04-21-2020, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Everyone,

I picked up an 82" Q70R and matching HW-Q70R sound bar about a month ago. The sound bar is connected by the HDMI Port 4 (ARC). I did search this thread before posting, but I didn't find answers. Maybe I searched wrong...

So far, I have been amazed at the picture quality, sound, and overall performance. This last week, we finally got our Xbox One hooked up to it. It an original Xbox One (not the S or X models). I am having a hard time figuring out the sound. Last night we tried to watch an older DVD and there was considerable lag between the video and audio. I couldn't figure it out. I tried both the TV speakers and the sound bar. I tried changing the audio settings on the Xbox from uncompressed stereo to bit streaming Dolby Atmos and everything in between. I downloaded the Dolby app on the Xbox, but that didn't seem to help.

Can anyone help me?

As a second question, my son and I play a lot of FPS games. If we simply set the set the TV to Game Mode, does that provide the lowest input lag? Or should we be changing any other settings for the fastest experience. (Already, it feels better than our previous TV, but I always like to optimize!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1654 of 2026 Old 04-22-2020, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Unfortunately there's not much you can do. I have DirecTV Los Angeles as well and only really notice banding and other artifacts on the local broadcasts and some of the other "standard cable" channels. Auto motion plus is off, I didn't like it either. Good luck!

Cheers,
Jeff
LG 65UHD/Denon/OppO/HTPC/PS4/NHT/HSU/7.1
PSN: Krondorian
XBL: Midkemian
Twitter: @Krondo_jd
post #1655 of 2026 Old 04-22-2020, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a 65" and looking to mount it now. I read the manual about the use of the provided plastic spacers, the mount on the back of the tv looks fine if i place it. Are these required? I misplaced mine and do not know where to buy replacements.
post #1656 of 2026 Old 04-23-2020, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I recently got a 75" Q70 (2019 model). I put a pixel test on the screen the day I received it and noticed around 20 "dead" pixels or sub-pixels. I'm not quite sure what they are, but they are consistently seen in the same spot when viewing an all white screen. They are small, gray colored and not noticeable from normal viewing distance and normal content.

I can still return it, but if this is normal I'd rather not go through the hassle especially if the next one could be worse.

Has anyone seen this before? Are they truly dead pixels/sub-pixels? Any thoughts on whether or not this is a concern?

I've read other threads that say even one or two on a panel means it's defective. I've got almost 20 in small clusters around the screen.

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
/z
post #1657 of 2026 Old 04-23-2020, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by straubse View Post
I recently got a 75" Q70 (2019 model). I put a pixel test on the screen the day I received it and noticed around 20 "dead" pixels or sub-pixels. I'm not quite sure what they are, but they are consistently seen in the same spot when viewing an all white screen. They are small, gray colored and not noticeable from normal viewing distance and normal content.

I can still return it, but if this is normal I'd rather not go through the hassle especially if the next one could be worse.

Has anyone seen this before? Are they truly dead pixels/sub-pixels? Any thoughts on whether or not this is a concern?

I've read other threads that say even one or two on a panel means it's defective. I've got almost 20 in small clusters around the screen.

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
/z
Return it. I have zero dead pixels.
post #1658 of 2026 Old 04-24-2020, 11:49 AM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
I think the problem might have been the broadcast itself because it quit doing it. Do your parents live in Sun City or Sun City West? They are Next door to each other(about 5 miles apart) but very different from each other.
I have the exact same problem using the Prime video app. I have observed this phenomena while watching numerous different programs.
post #1659 of 2026 Old 04-24-2020, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkar View Post
I have the exact same problem using the Prime video app. I have observed this phenomena while watching numerous different programs.
Same here, but in my case it is due to my data stream. When streaming anything UHD, if my download speed happens to dip below a threshold, the tv auto corrects by switching my tv setting to match. Since the tv has different setting for UHD and SD/HD content and auto switches depending on your current connections download speeds. This could be the content streamer throttling speeds, or even your ISP throttling due to the enormous up tick in people using internet service during this time of covid 19.

That is my experience fwiw.

EJ
post #1660 of 2026 Old 04-24-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmerJency View Post
Same here, but in my case it is due to my data stream. When streaming anything UHD, if my download speed happens to dip below a threshold, the tv auto corrects by switching my tv setting to match. Since the tv has different setting for UHD and SD/HD content and auto switches depending on your current connections download speeds. This could be the content streamer throttling speeds, or even your ISP throttling due to the enormous up tick in people using internet service during this time of covid 19.

That is my experience fwiw.

EJ
Thanks, I will monitor my data stream next time. I kept thinking it was the Prime Video app and was hoping for an update.
post #1661 of 2026 Old 04-25-2020, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkar View Post
Thanks, I will monitor my data stream next time. I kept thinking it was the Prime Video app and was hoping for an update.
It happens to me when streaming UHD content using any of the tv apps. I never see it when I stream from my PC to my TV, although if the speed of the stream dips it will show HD content and you can see the quality degrade a little until speed normalizes. I've also heard that Samsung proper can throttle content to your tv even if the stream doesn't originate from Samsung, but this may just be a theory of conspiracy. They must have some access to your TV when it is connected to the web.

EJ
post #1662 of 2026 Old 04-25-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmerJency View Post
It happens to me when streaming UHD content using any of the tv apps. I never see it when I stream from my PC to my TV, although if the speed of the stream dips it will show HD content and you can see the quality degrade a little until speed normalizes. I've also heard that Samsung proper can throttle content to your tv even if the stream doesn't originate from Samsung, but this may just be a theory of conspiracy. They must have some access to your TV when it is connected to the web.

EJ
I would think that data would be buffered to account for short drops in data rates. While watching a prime show in UHD I monitored the data rate to the tv using the google wifi app. My rates were typically 12-20 Mbps with a rare drop to 9 Mbps. Of course while monitoring I did not notice any brightness changes. More observation is obviously required. As for Samsung throttling, I doubt it, although anything is possible.
post #1663 of 2026 Old 04-25-2020, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just picked up Q70T. Would the recommended picture settings for the Q70R apply to the Q70T?
post #1664 of 2026 Old 04-25-2020, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Quoted: 4215 Post(s)
Liked: 3335
Quote:
Originally Posted by fradog68 View Post
Just picked up Q70T. Would the recommended picture settings for the Q70R apply to the Q70T?
Probably not. 70R is Fald, 70T is edge lit.

UN65KS9800 - Mine
QN49Q70R / UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 (JS9000 Mod Mode) / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U (JS9000 Mod Mode) / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
UN55NU8000 X 2 - my 2 kids families (or should I say adults?)
post #1665 of 2026 Old 04-25-2020, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fradog68 View Post
The Q70T is equivalent to last year's Q60R. So I'd look at those settings.
post #1666 of 2026 Old 04-25-2020, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spewdom View Post
Return it. I have zero dead pixels.

Thanks for the input. I think you are right. I have a Samsung 55" MU6800 or something like that in another room. I never ran a pixel test on it so tried that. It has zero dead/stuck pixels and less DSE than the Q70R which was almost 4x the cost. Q70 is gong back.

Now I need to resist the urge to spend $600 more on the Q80r.

Thanks!
/z
post #1667 of 2026 Old 04-25-2020, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Is there a way to adjust the picture settings for the apps when you are in the main menu? For example Disney + colors are over saturated in the menu. The same for AppleTV, Prime, YouTube. However, once you play a video the colors are fine for SDR / HDR. I have tried to adjust settings for only “current source” and it seems to affect my HDMI 4 DirecTV Picture settings. I am in Movie Mode. For SDR I am using NATIVE color space and Contrast Enhancer: Low, Gamma BT.1886, Local Dimming: Standard, Color: Warm2
post #1668 of 2026 Old 04-25-2020, 09:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked: 183
What is the "pixel test" some of you guys are talking about ? Where can it be found ?
post #1669 of 2026 Old 04-25-2020, 10:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post
What is the "pixel test" some of you guys are talking about ? Where can it be found ?
Just search for one on YouTube. It'll show different full screen colors and you can pause on the color and you can get close to your TV to look. You'll normally notice either a black pixel or a white pixel if you have any dead/stuck pixels.
post #1670 of 2026 Old 04-26-2020, 03:15 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Does anyone use the other modes besides movie for anything? Are there any benefits to using them in certain scenarios?

I cannot believe the difference between first firing it up out of the box and being taken aback by the dull standard mode, and now having it dialed in with the settings you guy provided.

I am surprised that none of the default modes are anywhere close to the potential of the TV.

I wonder how many buyers of the TV never get close to dialing it in.
post #1671 of 2026 Old 04-26-2020, 04:37 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Question - and I looked but didn’t see anything on this, but what keeps the feet in? I’m not wall mounting.

I just picked up a 75” Q7DR from Costco yesterday. I installed the feet and it looks like, on the quick start guide, there is a plastic retainer type clip / device that would hold the the leg up in. I don’t see that on this mine.

The reason I ask is the R leg slid up in and there was some tension at the end that held the foot up in... not a lot, but enough so when you pick it up it doesn’t fall out. Inserted the L leg and and when you pick up the TV it fall right back out. There is nothing creating any friction to hold or lock it in place.

Anyone else have this issue? I put on layer of painters tape on the leg and it was enough to hold it up in there, but not as tight as the R side.

Thanks all -

Spectrum Cable
Nvidia Shield TV
Onkyo TX-SR705
Denon AVRX3400H
post #1672 of 2026 Old 04-26-2020, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellofello808 View Post
Does anyone use the other modes besides movie for anything? Are there any benefits to using them in certain scenarios?

I cannot believe the difference between first firing it up out of the box and being taken aback by the dull standard mode, and now having it dialed in with the settings you guy provided.

I am surprised that none of the default modes are anywhere close to the potential of the TV.

I wonder how many buyers of the TV never get close to dialing it in.
I first used Standard Mode when I got the TV. It's the only other mode I'd use outside Movie Mode. I switched to Movie Mode due to it dimming less on small texts or objects on screen. I first noticed the strong dimming in SDR when playing the video game INSIDE. Once you launch the game, small red text pops up asking you to press any button. Well, you cannot see that text in any mode other than Movie. Just looks like the screen goes black.

I would never choose Dynamic or Natural Modes because you cannot calibrate everything. And I couldn't get Natural Mode to keep separate settings for HDR and SDR.

Hopefully, people that buy the TV at least find the Eco settings and turn it off since it dims the picture.
post #1673 of 2026 Old 04-26-2020, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Quoted: 4215 Post(s)
Liked: 3335
Quote:
Is there a way to adjust the picture settings for the apps when you are in the main menu? For example Disney + colors are over saturated in the menu. The same for AppleTV, Prime, YouTube. However, once you play a video the colors are fine for SDR / HDR. I have tried to adjust settings for only “current source” and it seems to affect my HDMI 4 DirecTV Picture settings. I am in Movie Mode. For SDR I am using NATIVE color space and Contrast Enhancer: Low, Gamma BT.1886, Local Dimming: Standard, Color: Warm2
HDMI settings are different from the USB/APP settings. Each must be calibrated separately. (or if not calibrating, do settings for each.)

UN65KS9800 - Mine
QN49Q70R / UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 (JS9000 Mod Mode) / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U (JS9000 Mod Mode) / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
UN55NU8000 X 2 - my 2 kids families (or should I say adults?)
post #1674 of 2026 Old 04-26-2020, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Going back & forth between a 75" Q70 or a Sony X900F Price is about the same.

Anyone look at both before you bought to Q70? What did you think?
post #1675 of 2026 Old 04-27-2020, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samshort View Post
Going back & forth between a 75" Q70 or a Sony X900F Price is about the same.

Anyone look at both before you bought to Q70? What did you think?
I am happy with my Q7D, but for the same price I may have gone 900f.

Both have their pros and cons, but at the end of the day the picture on the 900f is a bit better IMO.

Tough call for sure.
post #1676 of 2026 Old 04-27-2020, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellofello808 View Post
I am happy with my Q7D, but for the same price I may have gone 900f.

Both have their pros and cons, but at the end of the day the picture on the 900f is a bit better IMO.

Tough call for sure.
The swaying factor for me was the 5+2 warranty from Costco (7 years!) if you did the Q7DR - we got the 75" for $1699.99 plus tax. It's actually pretty stunning.

It was set up next to a 75" LG C9 OLED and yes there was a difference, but not $500 more difference plus the burn in possibility.

Spectrum Cable
Nvidia Shield TV
Onkyo TX-SR705
Denon AVRX3400H
post #1677 of 2026 Old 04-27-2020, 01:39 PM

It was between the 85 inch 900f from BB, and 82 inch Q7D from Costco for me.

When you factor in the extended warranty the price difference was well over $1000 more at the time. I probably wouldn't want an out of warranty Sony, since in my research I have seen a lot of people having issues relative to their sales figures.

Lots of software bugs with Android TV, some being so bad they make the TV unusable.
post #1678 of 2026 Old 04-27-2020, 08:15 PM

I just got an open box 82" Q70R from bestbuy. Apart from the dead pixel test, are there any other tests I should be running to flush out common problems with these? I looked at a few articles/posts and couldn't find anything specific. TIA
post #1679 of 2026 Old 04-27-2020, 10:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi. I wanna upgrade my NU7402 to QE55Q70R, but I read about screen brightening with subtitles. Is the problem fixed now after software updates?
post #1680 of 2026 Old 04-28-2020, 08:44 AM

Does anybody here miss not having Dolby Vision in the Q70R?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page