AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   LCD Flat Panel Displays (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/)
-   -   2019 Samsung Q70R QLED Owner's Thread (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/3056264-2019-samsung-q70r-qled-owners-thread.html)

dcx4610 03-13-2019 12:43 PM

2019 Samsung Q70R QLED Owner's Thread

SAMSUNG Q70R QLED Smart 4K UHD TV

https://image-us.samsung.com/Samsung...t-details-jpg$

Main Specifications

Backlighting: Direct Full Array 4x
Color: SLATE BLACK
Dimming Technology: Ultimate UHD Dimming (Local)
Motion Rate: 240
Color: 100% Color Volume with Quantum Dot
HDR (High-Dynamic Range): Quantum HDR 8x
Picture Engine: Quantum Processor 4K
Quantum Dot Color: Yes

FreeSync Built-in with VRR

No One Connect box.

MSRPs:
49" - $1,249.99
55" - $1,499.99
65" - $2,199.99
75" - $3,299.99
82" - $4,499.99

dcx4610 03-13-2019 12:45 PM

Received my 55" Q70R today. I will post initial impressions later today if possible. I was able to test a Q60R and while having a fantastic picture, it unfortunately had global dimming which was a deal breaker.

Once I get everything set up and calibrated, I'm open for questions.

Number_6 03-13-2019 12:52 PM

Congrats on the new rig! As far as I know, this model does not have the "wide angle" feature of the Q80/Q90, but I'm still interested in that aspect of performance. Also, whenever it's convenient for you to try out any programming with subtitles, I'm wondering if Samsung has ironed out their 2018 issue with subtitles causing fluctuations in overall image brightness.

bartsmit 03-13-2019 01:05 PM

Looking forward to your findings. May I ask what size you' ve bought? I'm in the market for a 75" (maybe 82") tv and this Q70R is the first in the line up with Fald. I hope it does a proper job without too many shortcomings on his bigger brothers.

Rudy1 03-13-2019 01:11 PM

To the cognoscenti on this thread: Does the 49" version have the same number of dimming zones as the larger sizes?

Gob Bluth 03-13-2019 01:25 PM

I’m also kind of interested in this if it doesn’t have the one connect box that my current Samsung panel uses. Just normal inputs, no proprietary hardware.

Edit - is that the correct msrp in the OP? That would be pretty awesome but nowhere near what I’m seeing

VA_DaveB 03-13-2019 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gob Bluth (Post 57740774)
I’m also kind of interested in this if it doesn’t have the one connect box that my current Samsung panel uses. Just normal inputs, no proprietary hardware.

Edit - is that the correct msrp in the OP? That would be pretty awesome but nowhere near what I’m seeing

Samsung lists the One Connect Box as N/A for the Q70R.

dcx4610 03-13-2019 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gob Bluth (Post 57740774)

Updated MSRPs. I bought the 55". None have the OneConnect Box thankfully.

Gob Bluth 03-13-2019 02:46 PM

Nice. If I were wall mounting the one connect could be useful but it actually introduces more problems than it solves for me. Updated MSRP looks right.

I don’t really *need* a new panel but this would be a pretty sweet upgrade. I like the interface on my current Samsung 4K tv if a little slow, but the HDR on Netflix is buggy and no local lighting / dimming, etc. The remote is my all time favorite - looks pretty much the same for this panel.

dcx4610 03-13-2019 03:26 PM

Bizarre issue #1 . The VESA screw mounts are different from the Q60R. 50mm/40mm worked fine on the Q60 but it looks like I'm going to need 50mm/43-45 on the Q70.

CrocD 03-13-2019 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy1 (Post 57740678)
To the cognoscenti on this thread: Does the 49" version have the same number of dimming zones as the larger sizes?

Note that the 49" Q70 has only a 60Hz panel ("Motion Rate 120"). The 55" and higher have a 120Hz panel ("Motion Rate 240").
Don't be fooled by the "Motion Rate 120" marketing-speak.
I was going to get the 49" as a computer monitor, but I am looking at the 55" now.

dcx4610 03-13-2019 05:51 PM

Just from the unboxing, it's bizarre how different the experience is from the Q60R. The box looks more premium, there was extra foam protection in the box and the screen itself had plastic peel-off screen protection. Just odd seeing where they cut corners.

DDPGambit 03-13-2019 06:12 PM

Just a quick question, does the Q70R have a matte or glossy screen? I’m very interested in what the reflection handling is compared to the Q7FN (which was excellent).

dcx4610 03-13-2019 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DDPGambit (Post 57742378)
Just a quick question, does the Q70R have a matte or glossy screen? I’m very interested in what the reflection handling is compared to the Q7FN (which was excellent).

Matte-glossy if that makes sense. You can see yourself in it but it's not a mirror. It's about in-between.

moodysj 03-13-2019 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcx4610 (Post 57740520)
Received my 55" Q70R today. I will post initial impressions later today if possible. I was able to test a Q60R and while having a fantastic picture, it unfortunately had global dimming which was a deal breaker.

Once I get everything set up and calibrated, I'm open for questions.

Can you give your impressions of the Q60? What about it did you not like? What were the shortcomings?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

dcx4610 03-13-2019 07:14 PM

Alright - Initial impressions.

- There's a black strip on the bottom of the screen.. I thought it was a piece of plastic film but nope. It's glued onto the screen. You can't see it from a couch but it's ugly up close and stands out. I have no idea what they were thinking. The Q60R did not have this.

- The screen brightness is a bit disappointing. With max backlight, it's bright but it's not super bright. The Q60R felt blindingly bright despite being edge lit. I'm guessing the direct array is a bit on the low side.
- Color is good and deep.
- HDR seems solid but I only briefly looked at it,
- I ran a DSE test and screen uniformity is really good. Very minor DSE that's virtually unnoticeable. I'd imagine like past years though, it's going to be a panel lottery.
- Local Dimming has Low, Standard and High. I only briefly tested it but did not notice any distracting screen dimming on the Standard setting. I'll play with this more this weekend.
- Black levels are very good and even.

I'll 8/10 for now. I just wish it was a bit brighter.

dcx4610 03-13-2019 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moodysj (Post 57742744)
Can you give your impressions of the Q60? What about it did you not like? What were the shortcomings?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I thought it was excellent outside of one issue - global dimming. It was extremely bright with an excellent image and color but the global dimming killed it.

In order of quality, you basically have software dimming, global dimming, local dimming and micro dimming. With global dimming, the LEDs can't be controlled individually. If you are watching credits fade in and out for instance, the entire picture will dim as the text fades out and then go back to full brightness when the next text pops on the screen. If you have a dim scene, you'll see the entire screen dim and then brighten back up the next shot. It's extremely distracting. A TV that costs $1300 with global dimming is unacceptable to me.

If it had local dimming, I would have stuck with it and been very happy. With global dimming, it's a deal breaker.

ray0414 03-13-2019 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcx4610 (Post 57742748)
Alright - Initial impressions.

- There's a black strip on the bottom of the screen.. I thought it was a piece of plastic film but nope. It's glued onto the screen. You can't see it from a couch but it's ugly up close and stands out. I have no idea what they were thinking. The Q60R did not have this.

- The screen brightness is a bit disappointing. With max backlight, it's bright but it's not super bright. The Q60R felt blindingly bright despite being edge lit. I'm guessing the direct array is a bit on the low side.
- Color is good and deep.
- HDR seems solid but I only briefly looked at it,
- I ran a DSE test and screen uniformity is really good. Very minor DSE that's virtually unnoticeable. I'd imagine like past years though, it's going to be a panel lottery.
- Local Dimming has Low, Standard and High. I only briefly tested it but did not notice any distracting screen dimming on the Standard setting. I'll play with this more this weekend.
- Black levels are very good and even.

I'll 8/10 for now. I just wish it was a bit brighter.

The TV is much brighter with local dimming on high. Hdr is a must at high m

Thrust-Bot 03-14-2019 04:04 AM

My 82 just shipped, will post impressions when it gets here next week.

Mike Wheaton 03-14-2019 12:15 PM

hey guys, just placed order for65" after weeks of research between lg c9,b9, samsung q6, q7, tcl 6, or vizio p series. The only thing that was holding me back was lack of earc, but rumors are that could be announced here in next couple of weeks if we are lucky. I am coming from a 2014 samsung hu8550 W/ sek-3500 one connect upgrade. How is the gaming on this set, i cant imagine it not being less than spectaculer. Cant wait to try out the [email protected]

JT11 03-14-2019 01:45 PM

DCX4610, Have you figured out what the strip at the bottom of the screen is? Any more inpressions you can give are really helpful.
I am leaning toward a 55" Q70R myself.

dcx4610 03-14-2019 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ray0414 (Post 57742828)
The TV is much brighter with local dimming on high. Hdr is a must at high m

No difference in backlight brightness with local dimming on high. It just changes the aggressiveness of the dimming and detail.

The brightness is still disappointing to me but the richness of the color makes up for it.

dcx4610 03-14-2019 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Wheaton (Post 57745972)
hey guys, just placed order for65" after weeks of research between lg c9,b9, samsung q6, q7, tcl 6, or vizio p series. The only thing that was holding me back was lack of earc, but rumors are that could be announced here in next couple of weeks if we are lucky. I am coming from a 2014 samsung hu8550 W/ sek-3500 one connect upgrade. How is the gaming on this set, i cant imagine it not being less than spectaculer. Cant wait to try out the [email protected]

Gaming performance is very good IF you make some changes. The Q70R is too new for reviews and there has only been one review that I'm aware of for the Q60R. I'd imagine performance is roughly the same.

Both TVs come with Freesync which offers variable refresh rate on supported content.

The issue is the TV comes with something called Game Mode Plus enabled. With this, input lag is around very high around 45-55ms and you can see noticeable blur. The first thing you want to do is turn this off. You'll keep Game Mode on but Game Mode Plus off. This gets you down to 13-15ms which is impressive. You can enable Freesync from the same menu and I don't believe it affects the input lag.

dcx4610 03-14-2019 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JT11 (Post 57746484)
DCX4610, Have you figured out what the strip at the bottom of the screen is? Any more inpressions you can give are really helpful.

I think it's meant for design. I'm still baffled why they thought this looked good. It's a strip of somewhat reflective plastic or some material right above the bezel on the bottom that runs the length of the TV.

It's basically Bezel > Screen > Strip > Bezel. It looks awful and looks like it was just glued on. It's not seamless at all. I legit thought it was a sticker or something and tried peeling it off until I realized it was part of the TV.

I'll try to get a picture later tonight. Thankfully you can't see it from far back but I still don't know what they were thinking. The screen from bezel to bezel would look so much better. I'm gonna ask in other threads and the Q80 and 90 have it. I'm tempted to go to Best Buy as well just to see their floor model just to make sure I'm not an idiot.

srkmish 03-14-2019 05:15 PM

This first impression was posted by @jwc in the 2019 general Samsung thread. Just pasting it here so that this does not get lost.

"My 75-inch 2019 Q70R arrived yesterday. I can confirm that it does not use the One Connect box and it does not work with the No Gap wall mount.

This TV was a replacement of a defective 2018 Q7R, which was already hung in my built-in cabinet. Really bummed that I can’t use my existing wall mount with this TV.

Regarding the image quality, first impression is very positive. Very deep blacks and very bright highlights. I look forward to calibrating it soon.

Attached are a few photos... "

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57709236

dcx4610 03-14-2019 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JT11 (Post 57746484)

Here's a picture. It was hard to capture. It reminds me of one of those security stickers on the inside of movie cases but it appears to be glued to the screen and designed that way.

https://i.imgur.com/Gy8iwH1.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/eUvkOCF.jpg

Mike Wheaton 03-14-2019 05:33 PM

Yeah ive read a little about the plus mode, i thought it was for bfi interpolation or something, i would def have that shut off. Im pretty excited about the allm also. For me its no big deal, but i have a younger son who plays (often better than me lol). Well if im not home, his mom never remembers to enable game mode for him.

dcx4610 03-14-2019 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sound & Vision (Post 57747806)
WoW....... That looks awful? Where did you buy it? Gosh, I would take it back asap.. Looks like a botched up "B" stock. 😮

I think i'm going to wait for the Q8fn to go on heavy discount.. It seems the 2019 models have more panel glow... As if the panel was IPS.. And also seems like they dubbed down the dimming on the newer models? It's just too early to tell.. I will be following the reviews closely. 🤔

Amazon. Someone with a Q80 confirmed theirs has the same thing. I don't understand why the Q60R would have a full display while the more expensive Q70R has an extra border unless it has something to do with the FALD. I'm going to go to Best Buy this weekend and hope they have a Q70R on display to compare. I would be so ticked if there's an A stock without the strip and a B with it.

Bruc3L3r0y 03-14-2019 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcx4610 (Post 57747906)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sound & Vision (Post 57747806)
WoW....... That looks awful? Where did you buy it? Gosh, I would take it back asap.. Looks like a botched up "B" stock. 😮

I think i'm going to wait for the Q8fn to go on heavy discount.. It seems the 2019 models have more panel glow... As if the panel was IPS.. And also seems like they dubbed down the dimming on the newer models? It's just too early to tell.. I will be following the reviews closely. 🤔

Amazon. Someone with a Q80 confirmed theirs has the same thing. I don't understand why the Q60R would have a full display while the more expensive Q70R has an extra border unless it has something to do with the FALD. I'm going to go to Best Buy this weekend and hope they have a Q70R on display to compare. I would be so ticked if there's an A stock without the strip and a B with it.

Can't tell from your pic but did you remove the plastic film? There is a separate protective film covering this piece.

dcx4610 03-14-2019 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruc3L3r0y (Post 57748124)
Can't tell from your pic but did you remove the plastic film? There is a separate protective film covering this piece.

The screen you mean? Yes. Does yours look like mine? Just making sure I'm not an idiot and this is normal.