Giving Up On Buying A New TV - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 37Likes

post #31 of 42 Old 03-24-2019, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzer View Post
I think this is exactly what I will do.
Well one thing you are doing right, buying from Costco, which must have the most liberal return policy, if for some reason u not happy.

Did not look at the models you have selected but I suggest: A TV with at least 1 optical out, 1 headphone out, and HDMI ARC would be nice, u will need those to hook up external sounds, and everybody will sooner or later want external sounds. This not used to be a problem but vendors these days are getting cheaper and cheaper save $2 on a headphone jack.
Kizzer likes this.

Last edited by MrBobb; 03-24-2019 at 09:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 03-24-2019, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post
Well one thing you are doing right, buying from Costco, which must have the most liberal return policy, if for some reason u not happy.

Did not look at the models you have selected but I suggest: A TV with at least 1 optical out, 1 headphone out, and HDMI ARC would be nice, u will need those to hook up external sounds, and everybody will sooner or later want external sounds. This not used to be a problem but vendors these days are getting cheaper and cheaper save $2 on a headphone jack.
I'm glad you brought those things up because I do have a 5.1 surround system hooked up. I'm not sure if the receiver has a HDMI-ARC connection though.
post #33 of 42 Old 03-25-2019, 06:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Too much paralysis by analysis for a 65 inch TV. Just go for the best deal at that small size.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 42 Old 03-25-2019, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 97
It is hilarious that in 2019, 65" is now considered small.
ganzhimself and aspitfire like this.
post #35 of 42 Old 03-25-2019, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve P. View Post
It is hilarious that in 2019, 65" is now considered small.

I was going to say... 65” is hardly a small display when you don’t have a dedicated theater room or a large home. 65” is about the absolute biggest TV I can fit in my current space, maybe 75” to 77” if I make some changes to my entertainment center. But even then, a viewing distance of 8.5 feet starts to become a problem. My parents’ have a decently sized living room but there isn’t room in their built-in entertainment center for a TV much bigger than 50”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John Sully likes this.
post #36 of 42 Old 03-25-2019, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
I'm glad you brought those things up because I do have a 5.1 surround system hooked up. I'm not sure if the receiver has a HDMI-ARC connection though.
You only need to worry about ARC if you plan to use the apps on the TV to feed signal to your receiver, or use all sources direct to TV. If you have a 4K capable receiver then you can simply use all sources to receiver, then out of receiver HDMI to TV and not worry about ARC. At best ARC is somewhat buggy, had all kinds of problems between a Denon receiver and a new Sony TV. Odds are if you get a 4K disc player it will have all the apps you need, or get a ROKU or Apple TV 4K. If your receiver will not work with 4K sources, then you are in for a new receiver along with the new TV.
Kizzer likes this.
post #37 of 42 Old 03-25-2019, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
LOL I forgot about that! and while we are at it, 4K streaming takes ~40 mbit bandwidth per stream so if your broadband ain't cutting it, mo' money! Is a conspiracy I tell ya.
Not quite, Amazon will tell you 15m is enough while Netflix says 25M. They aren't far off as I do just fine on my DSL line.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony HT-NT5 sound bar with SR-5 rear speakers
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/'Sony PS-4
post #38 of 42 Old 03-25-2019, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No HDMI ARC, Optical will do it, although u may find an AVR upgrade be necessary by my previous comment.

U not gonna like this, just took a quick peek at your 2 LGs... straight connectors on the back, this will make wall mounting more difficult, will make TV sticks out more than necessary when every Joe&Harriet vendor put their connectors sideways for flush mounting. If you are going to table-top it, just ignore me. At this point I like your Samsung Q65 selection more than the LGs.
Kizzer likes this.
post #39 of 42 Old 03-25-2019, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
Not quite, Amazon will tell you 15m is enough while Netflix says 25M. They aren't far off as I do just fine on my DSL line.
Whenever vendors tells me I need X, I want to double it to 2X for good measure. Boeing: pilots don't need new training on MAX! Hope amazon/netfx not throttling resolution behind your back.
post #40 of 42 Old 03-25-2019, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Whenever vendors tells me I need X, I want to double it to 2X for good measure. Boeing: pilots don't need new training on MAX! Hope amazon/netfx not throttling resolution behind your back.
Actually the Netflix and Amazon quotes are on the high side. My old DSL was 10meg and Amazon 4K worked, my upgrade is 20meg (WOOHOO) and Netflix 4K works pretty well. Of course that leaves no extra bandwidth for anyone else.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony HT-NT5 sound bar with SR-5 rear speakers
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/'Sony PS-4
post #41 of 42 Old 03-25-2019, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sully View Post
Like most people here, it is a question of what you can live with. A good Full Array Local Dimming LCD set will have a very good picture and good ones can be had for a very reasonable price these days. Just for ****s and grins I checked out the price on the 2018 Vizio PQ65-F1 and I almost pulled out my credit card and bought it -- the current price on Amazon is $1399. By all accounts this is one of the best TV's out there, not the best, but very, very good and at this price, it is an insane deal. It is cheap right now, because Vizio will start shipping the 2019 models in the next month or so.
$1399 is for a refurbished set. (I don't think Amazon is selling that model new anymore.) There are some electronics that I'd go refurbished to save a few bucks (e.g., speakers that could run for decades), but a premium display with a limited lifespan is probably not one of them.
post #42 of 42 Old 03-25-2019, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Kuul A View Post
$1399 is for a refurbished set. (I don't think Amazon is selling that model new anymore.) There are some electronics that I'd go refurbished to save a few bucks (e.g., speakers that could run for decades), but a premium display with a limited lifespan is probably not one of them.
Thanks, I would not get a refurb set either. Some of the big box stores were selling this set for just a couple of hundred more a couple of weeks ago, which is still a good price. Unfortunately we have only Costco and Wal*Mart here and neither of them were selling this set.

Receiver: Denon AVR X3400H/Display: Vizio P65-E1
Blu-Ray: Sony UBP-X700/LaserDisc: Panasonic AG-LD20/Streamer Amazon FireTV 4K
Satellite: Dish Hopper w/Sling
Speakers: SVS Prime Tower/SVS Prime Center/SVS Prime Surround/Velodyne HGS-15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page