How Do You Watch UHD Movies: Streaming or Disc? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: How Do You Watch UHD Movies: Streaming or Disc
I only stream UHD movies 56 10.87%
I only watch UHD movies on Ultra HD Blu-ray 160 31.07%
I mostly stream UHD movies but purchase my favorites on disk 80 15.53%
I mostly watch Ultra HD Blu-ray but stream when it's convenient 136 26.41%
I'm at a point where it's about 50-50 31 6.02%
There is no rhyme or reason to my viewing habits 7 1.36%
I don't watch movies in UHD 45 8.74%
Voters: 515. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 104Likes

post #31 of 118 Old 04-03-2019, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked: 2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by santa rosa peter View Post
I have a great broadband connection, but I very rarely stream "4K" content unless it is not available on disc. First, audio quality is super important to me, and DolbyDigital+ is pretty much trash. Second, the exceptionally poor quality of Netflix "DolbyVision" streams are just repulsive - they are literally worse in banding and other artifacts than other non-"DolbyVision" titles. The OA and the Umbrella Academy are excruciating to watch at times.

Hmm.... that's too bad, I don't have that problem. The DV quality on both Netflix and VUDU is excellent.

Audio is a different matter, but if I want good audio (or just want to) , then I pop a disk in.
sk373 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 118 Old 04-03-2019, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I support physical media. I have 250 UHD Blu-rays, 1,200 Blu-rays and some DVD’s that aren’t available on BD. I want to own my movies. I’ll watch Netflix for originals etc. I want the best possible PQ and AQ.

OLED65B7P/ OPPO UDP-203/ DENON X4300H/ Klipsch RP 440c/ Klipsch RP 250f/ Klipsch RP 240s x4/ Klipsch RP 140sa/ Dual SVS PB-1000/ SVS SoundPath Isolation System/ Auralex Mopad riser for center channel/
post #33 of 118 Old 04-03-2019, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiegr View Post
I don't support or condone digital streaming. It's supporting a system that will one day deny people their rights of ownership. If steaming wins, studios will sell you a full priced digital code that at anytime can be switched off, modified or simply removed from your "possession". If they don't like how or where you got your code an instant flip of the switch will remove your access to it. It's no different than if they broke into your home and took it back. Convenience "laziness" is leading us down a dark path. It's already happening in the gaming industry. You can spend a $150 on a digital deluxe edition of a game that you never actually see or touch except for what's in some cloud server somewhere and then when you are all finished with it you have no rights to the licence. You cannot sell it or trade it. You are forever stuck with a digital code assigned to your account that you have no use for anymore. This is where studios want to take us and all the lazy asses out there "renting" and streaming is making it a reality. Imagine you want to have movie night with your family and your internet is down. Not so cool now when you decided that streaming was easy and convenient.
Much plastec. Protec tradition. Atac scary new things. How insight. Much content. So facts. Very stress. Very force. Much 20/20.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 118 Old 04-03-2019, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4727 Post(s)
Liked: 4253
I prefer UHD discs but I also buy digital for movies I don't think are worth owning on disc...

OT: what happened to @Scott Wilkinson ??...he hasn't posted in over 6 months...I always enjoyed his insight and reviews...
post #35 of 118 Old 04-03-2019, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 286
There going to have to come up with some heavy streaming at affordable prices if the future is now heading toward 8K non-compressed digital sound streams.. If I luv a movie I will purchase it... Play the extras... And enjoy it over and over again... To me, there's nothing like a 4K HDR Movie playing off of an Oppo 203... I'll stream when I'm bored and want to watch older movies I don't own.. 😀🍿
CaptinCrunch and RagtopFE like this.

Last edited by Sound & Vision; 04-03-2019 at 05:56 PM.
post #36 of 118 Old 04-03-2019, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 304
If I have the movie on disk, and it's also available via streaming, I still perfer to watch the Disk, Blu-ray and UHD Blu-ray.
Zoland2020 and Panson like this.

Sony 75X900F / MediaLight Quad 6500K
Sony X800
Denon X4400H / Outlaw 5000 (5.2.4 Atmos) AIRCOM T9
Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, Klipsch RS-52 II, Klipsch RP-500SA
SVS PB-3000 x2
post #37 of 118 Old 04-03-2019, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 66
All 4k UHD Disc for me. I didn't spend all that money on HT gear to watch a "4k" compressed stream with lackluster audio.
post #38 of 118 Old 04-03-2019, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I've only had a 4K HDR TV and BD player for a little more than a month and I don't have as much free time to enjoy it as I'd like so my viewing habits/preferences don't really have a consistent pattern yet. If I read the poll literally and focus on movies then I'm at 100% disc but if I look at content then the balance shifts to streaming (The Expanse!!).

I expect that the % for Movies will trend mostly towards disc...if its worth watching in 4K HDR its worth getting it on disc.

"You keep using that word...I do not think it means what you think it means."

-Steve-

TCL 55R617, Denon AVR-X2400H, Philips BDP-7502, Onkyo DX-C390, (2) HEOS 3HS2's,
Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble (FR/FL), MC150 (C), S100 (SR/SL), KLH E-12DB (SW)
post #39 of 118 Old 04-03-2019, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by typ44q View Post
How about "I mostly watch Ultra HD Blu-ray but stream when there is no other option"
I picked "only UHD", because fundamentally that is the case when the movie is available on UHD Blu. Will still watch random movies with Mrs. Couch Viking on Netflix or Amazon that will never make it to disc.

If one of my favorite movies is coming out on UHD disc, or I think that it might, I will just hold off on watching it period until it does come out. I'm refusing to watch Lawrence of Arabia in UHD streaming because I am positively willing a disc into existence.
slybacon, Tex_Thai and Jess Sayin like this.

Sony XBR-65A1E
Oppo UDP-203
Pioneer LX-81 (Euro)
Pio S-81K , Pio S-LX70, Pio S-81W-MK SW
Apple TV 4K 32Gb
post #40 of 118 Old 04-03-2019, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Cool Internet dependency and reliability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
In my case, I would have to use my imagination since my Internet's been going strong for years without interruption. But that statement comes with a huge caveat. That's after switching from Comcast to Verizon FIOS. Before that, I considered Internet unreliable. But now, I'd consider a power failure a more likely show-stopper than Internet going down.
I've had their fastest DSL (up to 20 Mbps) which would test between 13 to 17 and drive YT 4K into buffer at times, AmzPrime 4K never looked 4K.

Being all underground (Copper) to my home did make it super reliable though. Now they've (CenturyLink) gone Fiber-optic which goes up to the telephone poles at my property's edge, but just halfway up stringing along with the Comcast lines. They said they had no 'field' capability for splicing Fiber-optic and so they cut my underground. Since it's 450' across four poles to a wire hung connection junction they used a 500' single fiber line and left it dangle through the oak trees etc. branches. First mild windstorm kinked the Fiber-optic and my (80 Mbps {tests consistently at 77 Mbps on WiFi} and it's GB capable) internet along with my telephone service was out for eight days (December 21st to 29th) for a new replacement 500' line install and we have a storm season ahead.

Haven't streamed anything beyond YT so far, but looks like I'll need to buy a 4K BD that's 3D capable soon. I've left the TV's dumb for now, bought a Stream+, but no Prime (or Netflix) available on it yet.

I record more than I can watch on a DVR+ for now from a broadcast antenna. So didn't vote yet.
Art
post #41 of 118 Old 04-03-2019, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Where is the "I stream locally UHD discs" lol UHD discs are so simple to remux aand put on a local server, it makes it way more convenient when youre too lazy to get up and change discs
post #42 of 118 Old 04-03-2019, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1048 Post(s)
Liked: 719
Love this discussion.... I am so confused these days...
Before 4K - I used to buy Blu Ray Discs and have a Kaleidescape Premier System with the Vault - put all my Blu Rays on the Premier or the Vault.
100 of my 1080P collection was at one place and one click away...
With 4K I am all confused these day and here is how I buy and store my movies:
Blu Rays same as before - discs and Kaleidescape Premier and Vault.
Favorite rewatch 4K - on my Kaleidescape Stratos and Terraserver
Those 4k Kaleidescape does not provide immersive audio - UHD BD Discs
All other movies 1080p or 4k which are no rewatch for example the movie 'simple favor' in UHD - Apple TV 4k or Vudu Streaming.
All this madness is organized on the app my movies pro - as my collection is now all over the place.
I was never a streaming fan but after Stranger Things on Netflix and recently Highwayman - 4k HDR ATMOS streaming - this is getting better as time goes by and is most definitely the future.
post #43 of 118 Old 04-03-2019, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Disc end of story!!!
Tex_Thai likes this.
post #44 of 118 Old 04-03-2019, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I've been renting UHD 4K streams usually on Vudu. I have google credits, so I've purchased a few UHD movies on Google Play which will convert over to VUDU. With that said, for my favorite movies, (Blade Runner 2049, Dead Pool 2, Ant Man and Wasp etc), I'll purchase the 4K Bluray Disc for visual, but mostly audio quality

My player does not support DV, so looking into that in the next 6 months or so.
post #45 of 118 Old 04-03-2019, 11:00 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I don't watch 4K movies, I don't have a 4K TV although my receiver is new enough that it supports 4K. I want to watch 4K but I don't see the point of upgrading something that suits my needs.
post #46 of 118 Old 04-04-2019, 12:29 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by blurule View Post
I don't watch 4K movies, I don't have a 4K TV although my receiver is new enough that it supports 4K. I want to watch 4K but I don't see the point of upgrading something that suits my needs.
I have put together a pretty decent HT. I appreciate the quality of UHD 4K. I own a stack of discs now but would rent in heart beat no interest in owning. I look forward to streaming catching up and it will. But I look even more forward to first run first day to the home. This will come as well.
post #47 of 118 Old 04-04-2019, 04:21 AM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Movies and made-for-TV shows are ephermial enough that I (usually come to) regret the ones I've purchased. So maybe streaming is a better alternative? I dunno. If I buy something I want to _have_ it not just the right to view it. A paradox.
post #48 of 118 Old 04-04-2019, 04:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 4997 Post(s)
Liked: 3835
ANY movie that has a great soundtrack will be viewed on shiny disc. If it is primarily a "relationship" movie (that I know I will NEVER watch again), AND the audio is not critical to the viewing experience, then streaming makes sense. That is true for both SDR and HDR.
post #49 of 118 Old 04-04-2019, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Previously I would have said I play the UHD disc but I recently ripped my entire UHD library and have them on my plex so I'd have to say I stream them now, but not from VUDU or any of the online services. Quality from those streams isn't the same but I get amazing results from my own rips.
post #50 of 118 Old 04-04-2019, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 19
On an Oppo UDP-203 and LG 65B6
Tex_Thai likes this.

LG OLED65B6P, Oppo UDP-203, Marantz SR-7005, Monolith 7X, Roon/Plex/JRiver HTPC,
Oppo HA-1, JM Lab (Focal) Cobalt 815s, M.A. Gold C350, SVS Ultra Surrounds (Duet), Dual SVS SB-4000's.
post #51 of 118 Old 04-04-2019, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Almost entirely streaming for me. I pay 10%-20% of the price of a disc for the digital copy. I expect the quality of it will continue to advance over the next few years. I am completely unconcerned about the ownership issues others have mentioned.

I was addicted to disc collecting during the DVD era and now have nearly 1,000 of them taking up space and collecting dust. I won't make that mistake again.

Last edited by MarkK; 04-04-2019 at 11:47 AM. Reason: spelling
post #52 of 118 Old 04-04-2019, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 723 Post(s)
Liked: 1653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch Viking View Post
I picked "only UHD", because fundamentally that is the case when the movie is available on UHD Blu. Will still watch random movies with Mrs. Couch Viking on Netflix or Amazon that will never make it to disc.

If one of my favorite movies is coming out on UHD disc, or I think that it might, I will just hold off on watching it period until it does come out. I'm refusing to watch Lawrence of Arabia in UHD streaming because I am positively willing a disc into existence.
Right on, solidarity.
slybacon and Tex_Thai like this.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #53 of 118 Old 04-04-2019, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 723 Post(s)
Liked: 1653
Amazing, how the kids (under 40s) are gravitating to the sound aspects of 4K UHD discs, particularly Atmos. That may be what keeps the disc turkey afloat. Thanks, Marvel.

They haven't made much 4K UHD disc money off this household--Harry Potter (8 films); Mrs. Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children; Sicario: Day of the Soldado; Murder on the Orient Express; The Greatest Showman; The Girl on the Train; Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom; Bohemian Rhapsody.

As others have stated, where are the greats on 4K UHD disc? No matter that the last bus for good movie writing left long ago.

Streaming. On average per week, I watch several hours of Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. For the most part, it's glorified TV. Nothing too memorable. HDR helps some. Of course "the kids" want more, "Where's my Dolby Vision, my Atmos?

And then there's the projectionists....

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #54 of 118 Old 04-04-2019, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 881
streaming as the age of the disc is largely coming to an end for me...

a) i enjoy all of my stuff on one interface and video quality is pretty close at this point (as far as I am going to notice).
b) i enjoy being able to rent a movie easily that i may not even want to watch
c) i wish that streaming audio was just as good... but in many movies the audio being +/- is not critical to the movie
d) So many movies frankly suck, that I have not watched nearly as many lately as I used to when I was younger.
e) I watch so many new things in a series format that my time to worry about movies/discs has diminished.
f) I have gotten tired of the non-stop PC culture and national posturing in hollywood where my money goes to support ideologies instead of better movies. Since political discussion is not allowed on forums, I will simply say that I feel like an idiot sending my money to these people and the less of that I can do, the better. I know I am not alone in this. I don't even mind political intrigue movies and TV but I do think they need to have writers that do a better job on working on viewpoint diversity. Too much clear cut propaganda now. It has become too predictable.
RagtopFE likes this.

Blazar!
post #55 of 118 Old 04-04-2019, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Steaming or 4K blu ray player

A 4K disc on a 4K player on an OLED is the best picture
Tex_Thai likes this.
post #56 of 118 Old 04-04-2019, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
We are years away from upgrading to uhd 4k. Don't think i'm missing much but more bills. If our 1080p hdtv sets break, then i'll think about an upgrade. Consensus on these forums are that affordable $919 TCL 75S423 is underwhelming.
post #57 of 118 Old 04-05-2019, 03:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Liked: 489
if I'm actually PAYING for movie, I want it in the absolute best quality available. If I'm spending $ then its Ultra-HDR/4K blu-ray or nothing. No blu-ray, certainly no DVD and not even iTunes/equivalent.

The only exception is Netflix 4K/DV movies. The quality is good enough, and the 4k/DV original shows look absolutely amazing, and well worth the $12/month subscription fee.
Couch Viking likes this.
post #58 of 118 Old 04-05-2019, 03:50 AM

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 44
My 4K collection is 90% discs and 10% digitals. On digital I usually collect titles that are digitally exclusive 4K (Mostly using Vudu).
post #59 of 118 Old 04-05-2019, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I prefer disks all the way due to the difference in audio as many have said. Streaming audio sucks in comparison with my system. With that said, I was just reading up on eARC and it seems the audio issue may be fixed with that feature. The question is will Netflix and Amazon move to lossless audio when eARC is widely adopted and available?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #60 of 118 Old 04-05-2019, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 45
100% stream ever since i got the apple tv 4k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Netflix , uhd streaming , ultra hd blu-ray