AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   LCD Flat Panel Displays (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/)
-   -   How Do You Watch UHD Movies: Streaming or Disc? (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/3060116-how-do-you-watch-uhd-movies-streaming-disc.html)

IronManFan 04-05-2019 06:41 PM

Buying a 4K movie on disc allows you to have a marginally better picture -- audio, whatever, I don't care.

But it also subjects you to endless pop up trailers and menus at the top that you have to wade through to get to the #@$%ing movie.

Buying on ATV 4K, you get the movie right away, and you can take it with you on an iPad to watch on a flight or in a hotel where internet may be spotty.

It is true that I probably won't be able to pass my iTunes library down to my children, but I'm enjoying the hell out of it now.

BNestico 04-06-2019 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirk504 (Post 57850306)
All 4k UHD Disc for me. I didn't spend all that money on HT gear to watch a "4k" compressed stream with lackluster audio.

Amen to that.

Friendly Fire 04-06-2019 08:15 AM

Oppo has been gone for over a year now. Samsung is ending its disc players. It is looking doubtful that there will be a disc format beyond 4K. Streaming is the future, like it or not.

In my experience an excellent streaming 4K movie is hard to tell from a 4K disc playing. Discs will have the edge until we have a perfect internet with enough capacity.

So I have come to bury discs, but I still praise them, they served us well in their time. It will be interesting to see how long it takes them to fade away.

Until the internet is improved a decent buffering system in streamers would go a long way to close the gap with discs. The new Apple Streaming service will allow downloads -- solid state playback is as good as a disc. Just that closes the gap.

I still miss Oppo, but I am getting over it. Time heals.

imagic 04-06-2019 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Friendly Fire (Post 57863430)
Oppo has been gone for over a year now. Samsung is ending its disc players. It is looking doubtful that there will be a disc format beyond 4K. Streaming is the future, like it or not.

In my experience an excellent streaming 4K movie is hard to tell from a 4K disc playing. Discs will have the edge until we have a perfect internet with enough capacity.

So I have come to bury discs, but I still praise them, they served us well in their time. It will be interesting to see how long it takes them to fade away.

Until the internet is improved a decent buffering system in streamers would go a long way to close the gap with discs. The new Apple Streaming service will allow downloads -- solid state playback is as good as a disc. Just that closes the gap.

My guess is you'll start to see devices that offer the option to download a title in 4K for offline viewing. Kaleidescape already does this, but there's no reason that a much cheaper and smaller device could not offer the exact same thing. It'll still cause issues with bandwidth caps, but it would eliminate worries about interruptions or insufficient bandwidth to support full quality UHD streams.

The main thing I hear is no matter how good the visuals, the sound is compromised with streaming. But with eARC having arrived with the ability to send uncompressed audio, in theory even a TV's internal apps could deliver disc-like fidelity going forward. Just a matter of bandwidth.

Friendly Fire 04-06-2019 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagic (Post 57863476)
My guess is you'll start to see devices that offer the option to download a title in 4K for offline viewing. Kaleidescape already does this, but there's no reason that a much cheaper and smaller device could not offer the exact same thing.

My thinking exactly. Apple iTunes gives free upgrades to UHD movies as they become available, but streaming is the only allowed option. Downloads are blocked. I've read that policy comes from the Studios, but I can't imagine that will last. They are OK with HD downloads. A common 4K movie is about 60 gigs -- I'll need an iPhone with a lot more memory.

Ubiquitous 1 gig internet will solve all of this. I am looking forward to 8K. So in time. . .

AnotherDude 04-06-2019 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagic (Post 57848538)
In my case, I would have to use my imagination since my Internet's been going strong for years without interruption. But that statement comes with a huge caveat. That's after switching from Comcast to Verizon FIOS. Before that, I considered Internet unreliable. But now, I'd consider a power failure a more likely show-stopper than Internet going down.

I'm on FIOS too, However, you better have some kind of battery / generator backup for that power failure, as the routers no longer have that 24 hr backup battery :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagic (Post 57863476)
My guess is you'll start to see devices that offer the option to download a title in 4K for offline viewing. Kaleidescape already does this, but there's no reason that a much cheaper and smaller device could not offer the exact same thing. It'll still cause issues with bandwidth caps, but it would eliminate worries about interruptions or insufficient bandwidth to support full quality UHD streams.

The main thing I hear is no matter how good the visuals, the sound is compromised with streaming. But with eARC having arrived with the ability to send uncompressed audio, in theory even a TV's internal apps could deliver disc-like fidelity going forward. Just a matter of bandwidth.

Don't forget the server farm to house all those downloads :).

Dale124 04-06-2019 11:47 AM

Here is my 2 cents on the matter.
I have spent a lot on money on my HT equipment, and want to make the most of it, so, I do have a wee bit of an addiction to buying the physical media. However, I do still rent movies through ITunes, simply because I don’t want to buy every movie that I want to see. There are no outlets where I live that rent movies anymore, so, it’s either stream it as a rental, or buy it. I very rarely blind buy anything, so I will rent, and if I loved it, I will likely buy it once the price comes down to something less ridiculous than the $30-$35 they want when it is first released. Just this morning, the nice people at Amazon sent me Bohemian Rhapsody 4K for the low low price of $20.00. As my strategy suggests, we rented it a while back, and really enjoyed it. I waited in the shadows, ready to pounce once the price dropped enough, which was just this week.
Boom...mic drop. :)
Dale.

GBNova 04-06-2019 01:22 PM

If it’s on Netflix or iTunes there is no way I’m going to buy the disk when I have access to it already through something I’m paying for already or at the price of a rental. If I really like the movie I sometimes buy the disk and since most come with the digital copy, it’s a win win.

If the quality of digital was clearly below the quality of disk it would be hard not to buy the disk in every case, but it’s not. Glad too, because if I had to buy every disk of something I was interested in seeing it would be a very expensive pastime.

AnotherDude 04-06-2019 02:07 PM

So there's no difference visually between a well encoded UHD disc ~80MBS and the streaming equivalent ~21MBS?

pgwalsh 04-06-2019 03:51 PM

I don't have the bandwidth or data to stream UHD so I only do it with disc's.

Panson 04-06-2019 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnellTHX (Post 57858022)
if I'm actually PAYING for movie, I want it in the absolute best quality available. If I'm spending $ then its Ultra-HDR/4K blu-ray or nothing. No blu-ray, certainly no DVD and not even iTunes/equivalent.

The only exception is Netflix 4K/DV movies. The quality is good enough, and the 4k/DV original shows look absolutely amazing, and well worth the $12/month subscription fee.

Oh dear, more love for DVD, please. Some fine films are not available otherwise. And it's not exactly slumming with upscaling capabilities. :rolleyes:

SnellTHX 04-07-2019 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panson (Post 57865382)
Oh dear, more love for DVD, please. Some fine films are not available otherwise. And it's not exactly slumming with upscaling capabilities. :rolleyes:

I'd rather not watch it then, to be honest. My LG OLED is horrible at upscaling. Even 1080p can look pretty meh at times, not to mention 720p or *gasp* sub-HD :eek::eek:

SnellTHX 04-07-2019 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnotherDude (Post 57864766)
So there's no difference visually between a well encoded UHD disc ~80MBS and the streaming equivalent ~21MBS?

Yes there is, but its pretty minor.

4K/HDR @ 120Mbs disk > 4K/HDR @ 15Mbs stream > 1080p/SDR @ 40Mbs disk > 1080p @ 5Mbs stream > 720p broadcast

1080p blu-ray in some areas of image quality will look better than 4K/HDR streams (40Mb/s bandwidth vs only 15-20Mb/s).. Obviously there is lots of compression so compromises have been made - somewhere.

But other areas of the image the 4K/HDR will indeed look significantly superior to regular 1080p, due to four times the resolution, greatly expanded colour gamut and of course HDR. I've particularly found streams to compromise in dark areas vs physical formats, so these scenes tend to look very disappointing, while the bright scenes look absolutely gorgeous, far better than most blu-rays and almost on par with 4K/HDR BR.

Caprichoso 04-07-2019 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erato949 (Post 57853388)
Previously I would have said I play the UHD disc but I recently ripped my entire UHD library and have them on my plex so I'd have to say I stream them now, but not from VUDU or any of the online services. Quality from those streams isn't the same but I get amazing results from my own rips.

Same here. Rip the UHD disk and stream it at original video and audio quality.

rr6966 04-08-2019 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soccerdude (Post 57848688)
For the past 2yrs I bought 50 HD/4k titles from iTune store via 4kATV when they're on sale . So far so good but I still think hard disc far more superior to streaming especially the audio even tho ATV went Dolby Atmos .

+1 here. I have a Roku, Shield, and an Apple 4KTV. I bought my Apple 4KTV last fall, and wow can't resist some of those 4K movie sales that apple has all the time. Crazy! I prefer to own a UHD disc, but when you can get a 4k movie at $9.99 and it is still selling on Disc for $24.99 ( Amazon or Best Buy ), it is a no brainer.

Menarini 04-08-2019 08:07 AM

My internet connection (speed+data cap) doesnt allow to make 4k streaming as my primary source for movie viewing, 4k blu rays are still my primary source.

Roger Mathus 04-09-2019 01:36 PM

My preference is for 4K discs for my projection system in dedicated theater room. VuDu is starting to offer early streaming in combination to shipping 4K disc to be delivered by Walmart on release date. This is my number 1 choice when available. In the case of streaming only, I prefer Netflix, Amazon and VuDu. I have tried all streaming devices and my preference is the top end Roku. Apple-TV is equal except for the very terrible remote control.

jeff43 04-09-2019 01:36 PM

1. 4K BD Atmos (DV tops HDR)
2. 4K BD 7.1 (DV tops HDR)
3. 4K BD All other audio (DV tops HDR)
4. Stream 4K DV
5. Stream 4K HDR
6. Stream 4K

richardbk 04-09-2019 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Friendly Fire (Post 57863430)

Funny, but I remember reading virtually this exact same argument regarding vinyl LPs when CDs came on the scene. In terms of AQ, I still prefer vinyl to this day. And nearly forty years later, I can still purchase it. Huh… I guess some things of superior quality take longer to "fade away" than some might think.

tortoise 04-09-2019 01:53 PM

I chose to simplify my setup a couple of years ago. Got rid of my 5.1 setup and started anew with a UHD tv, integrated amp, music streamer, and new stereo speakers. Now all of my AV consumption (tv, music, and movies) is streaming. Too bad the kids didn't want most of my old setup. :) I am well pleased with my new setup, yet I can understand folks wanting to squeeze the last ounce of audio and video performance.

richardbk 04-09-2019 01:54 PM

I don't have UHD playback capability yet, though I'm getting close. Still running a 60" Panasonic Viera plasma monitor coupled with an Oppo UDP-205, a NAD T758 AV receiver and a set of Hsu Research speakers. What's holding me back from upgrading my monitor? 3D! No 3D = no new monitor. For me, the ability to play 3D Blu-ray films – a most enjoyable experience – outweighs the incremental enhancements to picture quality that UHD affords.

But… if I ever do get UHD, it'll be discs all the way for me. Love me my uncompressed audio soundtracks. As an ex-broadcaster, I really appreciate what a good sound engineer can do, and I wanna hear every bit of what's on that track. Plus, as others have said, I enjoy owning my films. Don't wanna have friends over for a movie night only to discover that the film I've been looking forward to all week is suddenly no longer available. Or needs to be repurchased. Or won't stream in HD 'cause so many people are streaming right now. That's absolutely unacceptable.

googoogjoob 04-09-2019 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagic (Post 57847290)
The past few years have seen tremendous growth for streaming video. Now, you can enjoy 4K UHD with HDR from multiple sites including heavy-hitters like Apple, Google, Amazon, Netflix and Vudu. The result is that streaming movies finally look good, even on big screens. However, Ultra HD Blu-ray remains the gold standard for quality.

This poll is intended as a snapshot in time, to see what the current state of streaming vs. disc happens to be. Of course, this is not a purely binary question since it's possible to mix-and-match streaming and disk-based content. The question is, have you succumbed to the temptation to watch digital releases that are typically available weeks ahead of the UHD BD version? Are you the patient type, who waits to watch a movie in the best format you can get your hands on? Or perhaps you don't think that UHD is worth it all!

disc 98 %....picture is slightly better. sound is WAAAAY better

saw2814 04-09-2019 02:49 PM

Disc

I have usage limits so never stream UHD. I did do a comparison using a couple different movies and found the discs looked and sounded better than streaming to me.

SirMaster 04-09-2019 02:58 PM

UHD Disc ripped to MKV played via madVR.

Elpee 04-09-2019 03:10 PM

With my wife permission, I just switched to 1 Gb Verizon FIOS just to stream 4K movies. So far I've been using UHD BD that I bought when it's on sale at Walmart and Target. However, I was told the maximum I can get from 4K movies streaming is DD+ audio. I don't know what it is and that's why I'm stuck and hesitate to pay for streaming.
Guys, how to compare DD+ to Atmos/DTS:X that I got from UHD BD? Thanks.

Jim Kiler 04-09-2019 03:34 PM

I was not expecting this, people are luke warm-happy with 4K streaming video quality. I thought people would hate it as much as the audio quality. I am in the i want the Disc audio quality but unless it is a must own movie i will acquiesces to streaming movies. I get a lot of codes from friends and family so i cannot beat the price. But Redbox 4K came to my neighborhood in the last 30 Days so I have rented from them 3 times already.

The other reason to accept streaming is Disney titles, I said i would re-buy Captain America: The Winter Soldier on 4K but if the audio is not as good as the current BD then forget it.

riker 04-09-2019 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wookiegr (Post 57848436)
I don't support or condone digital streaming. It's supporting a system that will one day deny people their rights of ownership. If streaming wins, studios will sell you a full priced digital code that at anytime can be switched off, modified or simply removed from your "possession". .

They came real close with Divx. They just might succeed this time.

Lurker123 04-09-2019 04:37 PM

There's a couple of things I stream in 4K, from Netflix specifically, where 4K discs aren't available. Otherwise, all 4K UHD discs.

Trevor_Bartram 04-09-2019 04:52 PM

I have a 4K TV but have not experienced UHD yet. I'm still waiting for a small format basic Sony UHD player to replace the present Sony Blu-ray player before I take the plunge. If I like UHD discs I'll try 4K streaming. I'm in no hurry.

karelj 04-09-2019 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirk504 (Post 57850306)
All 4k UHD Disc for me. I didn't spend all that money on HT gear to watch a "4k" compressed stream with lackluster audio.

This used to be my only response. I still agree with it, but if there is a movie available online and it's not something that has the visual and audio experience that screams full 4K experience then I will stream it. I will even *gasps* watch the compressed version on premium cable.
That being said, I wish providers like HBO, Showtime and Starz would provide 4k/HDR versions of their programs via their respective apps.