How Do You Watch UHD Movies: Streaming or Disc? - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: How Do You Watch UHD Movies: Streaming or Disc
I only stream UHD movies 56 10.87%
I only watch UHD movies on Ultra HD Blu-ray 160 31.07%
I mostly stream UHD movies but purchase my favorites on disk 80 15.53%
I mostly watch Ultra HD Blu-ray but stream when it's convenient 136 26.41%
I'm at a point where it's about 50-50 31 6.02%
There is no rhyme or reason to my viewing habits 7 1.36%
I don't watch movies in UHD 45 8.74%
Voters: 515. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 104Likes

post #91 of 118 Old 04-09-2019, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Most streaming services can't even match regular Blu-Ray, either video or audio. UHD is even more so the case. Streaming is great for access, but anything I care about even a little, it's Disc all the way.
Tex_Thai likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 118 Old 04-09-2019, 09:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale124 View Post
Here is my 2 cents on the matter.
I have spent a lot on money on my HT equipment, and want to make the most of it, so, I do have a wee bit of an addiction to buying the physical media. However, I do still rent movies through ITunes, simply because I don’t want to buy every movie that I want to see. There are no outlets where I live that rent movies anymore, so, it’s either stream it as a rental, or buy it. I very rarely blind buy anything, so I will rent, and if I loved it, I will likely buy it once the price comes down to something less ridiculous than the $30-$35 they want when it is first released. Just this morning, the nice people at Amazon sent me Bohemian Rhapsody 4K for the low low price of $20.00. As my strategy suggests, we rented it a while back, and really enjoyed it. I waited in the shadows, ready to pounce once the price dropped enough, which was just this week.
Boom...mic drop.
Dale.
This is pretty much exactly where I am. I held out until mid-late 2018 on streaming. I have accumulated 70 UHD BD titles since early 2017, but couldn't justify continuing to add single watch movies to my shelves. The lack of ability to rent 4K in a physical format is killing it for me as others, aside from the few must own titles and an occasional cheap used purchase. One other thing is Apple's fairly liberal upgrade policy. When I decided last year that it was obvious that streaming is going to be how things are done going forward, I turned in a bunch of BD & UHD digital codes I had sitting unused in cases. Some of those movies have been upgraded automatically in my iTunes library to Apple's 4K version. That's a first, as far as I can recall. Any long term A/V media collector knows the upgrade game that has gone on for decades. I only have a small number of movies that I've had on VHS and/or LaserDisc, DVD, BD, UHD BD but I never got the next format for free!

Having said that, I agree that the audio side of streaming has lagged and it's disappointing that it hasn't been improved the way video has. Video has gone from SD to HD to 4K, but audio is largely the same "meh" quality. Oh, it may have an Atmos format/container but it's still the same lower bit rate Dolby Digital level sound quality that's prevailed for decades now.
Tex_Thai likes this.

My system info.
Spoiler!
post #93 of 118 Old 04-09-2019, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I'm not philosophically opposed to streaming, I simply prefer and invest in the best image and sound, and that is still on disk, not streaming. Viewing on an Oppo UDP 205, 65" LG OLED (3d capable), and heard through Atmos/DTS-X speakers setup, there's no comparison against movies on disk, and I do have fast Internet, streaming with Roku Ultra.

So, I voted 100% UHD disk for movies.

It wasn't polled, but in fact I actually buy more 3D than 4K disks (have to import a lot), but then I do buy 4K when not available or made in 3D. I'd still watch BD for movies over streaming, for better sound and reliable image versus streaming. I just don't stream movies.

I do enjoy Netflix and Amazon UHD original series, but these are not movies, and I wait for the better quality disk release for movies. Streaming series and original content, I can definitely notice some effects possibly due to compression, heavy banding or muddy blacks and greys that I don't get on disk viewing, let alone the inferior sound in streaming. That said, I find Amazon UHD HDR (if I can find it in their puzzle of a menu), a more crisp and clear 4K image than Netflix, which seems barely discernably UHD at times. While Netflix wins in choices of series to stream.

My priorities and viewing habits, with 1= highest/preferred:

1) 3D on disk (while they still exist, mostly importing now. Note: thanks Everest 3D for also having Atmos, just wish that weren't so rare)
2) UHD HDR on disk (prefer Atmos or at least DTS-X)
3) Blu Ray HD 2D on disk, but only if 3D or UHD aren't likely for the title in near future
4) Original content series / seasons in 4K (prefer Amazon UHD for sharper, reliable UHD image, but Netflix has more to choose from. See Orphan Black (first two seasons), Good Girls Revolt, or Man in the High Castle still on Amazon in UHD. Very nice.
5) Everything else.

If streaming could deliver equivalent image and sound, I'd be good with that. But the quality is not there yet. Getting better but no match. I like that TV series now on streaming services are approaching movie-like production values. But shiny disks still are leaps ahead in both sound, and image on my OLED.
Tex_Thai likes this.

Last edited by Jess Sayin; 04-09-2019 at 10:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 118 Old 04-09-2019, 10:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1664 Post(s)
Liked: 4830
I only stream movies(via vudu mostly) for casual, low to moderate volume levels.
When I want to flex my system and really enjoy it, nothing beats those beautiful physical blu ray and uhd discs
There's something special to actually physically own and appreciate them.
Jess Sayin likes this.
post #95 of 118 Old 04-09-2019, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Nice photo. Discs make a wall look good.
Tex_Thai and subacabra like this.
post #96 of 118 Old 04-10-2019, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Stream

I never even bought a regular blu-ray player LOL! ; skipped it. I saw no reason to invest in one as music was already digital; movies were soon to follow. VUDU seems to have most UHD movies though, some in DolbyVision.
post #97 of 118 Old 04-10-2019, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor_Bartram View Post
I have a 4K TV but have not experienced UHD yet. I'm still waiting for a small format basic Sony UHD player to replace the present Sony Blu-ray player before I take the plunge. If I like UHD discs I'll try 4K streaming. I'm in no hurry.
Doesn't the Sony x700 UHD player fit into that category?

TV - Sony 65XBR-930e | Receiver - Yamaha RX-V577 | 4K player - Sony UBP-X700 | PS3 | Router - Asus RT-AC86U | SVS SB-2000 sub | Paradigm Monitor SE 6000F L/R | Paradigm Monitor SE 2000C center | Paradigm ADP-170 v.3 rears
post #98 of 118 Old 04-10-2019, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I like UHD Blu-ray Disks , because of the sound.
TommyDeVito and Tex_Thai like this.
post #99 of 118 Old 04-10-2019, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
The past few years have seen tremendous growth for streaming video. Now, you can enjoy 4K UHD with HDR from multiple sites including heavy-hitters like Apple, Google, Amazon, Netflix and Vudu. The result is that streaming movies finally look good, even on big screens. However, Ultra HD Blu-ray remains the gold standard for quality.

This poll is intended as a snapshot in time, to see what the current state of streaming vs. disc happens to be. Of course, this is not a purely binary question since it's possible to mix-and-match streaming and disk-based content. The question is, have you succumbed to the temptation to watch digital releases that are typically available weeks ahead of the UHD BD version? Are you the patient type, who waits to watch a movie in the best format you can get your hands on? Or perhaps you don't think that UHD is worth it all!
I started out buying more 4K discs, but as the streaming quality has improved both visually and even sonically, I am tending to purchase the digital streaming versions more.

For a move like Green Book, I wanted to purchase it, but felt that the 4K stream would be more than satisfactory as this was not an audio showcase for surround sound and the like. The image quality is fantastic and I could probably not tell the difference between the stream and the disc. It's also nice to be able to purchase around 2 movies digitally for the price of one on disc. and even less in some cases.

The image quality on Aquaman is the best 4K Stream I have ever seen. The HDR and clarity is incredible! It also sounds great! I know, for me anyway, the uncompressed audio of UHD and Blu ray discs are unrivaled, but 4K streams continue to improve on the audio front as well. I liked Aquaman a lot, but didn't feel the need to drop @ $30 for it, when I can enjoy it immensely for less than half that price as a stream.

When Alita: Battle Angel comes out, I will probably buy the disc as it is a visual and audio showcase of a film and worth it, for me anyway, to have it in the best possible format. Also, when it comes to classics like The Matrix, I picked up the 4K disc, and for Superman: The Movie, I did the same. It is such a pleasure to see these movies looking and sounding better than ever before.

So, in conclusion, I will pick and choose which ones I purchase on disc vs the digital copy, but the line between them continues to become more blurred as streaming codecs and technology continue to advance.
RobKnapp likes this.

•Sony XBR-65X930D 4K HDR TV •Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray player
•Sony STR-DA5800ES 9.2 Channel A/V Amp (5.1.4 Configuration)
•NHT SuperOne (Frt L+R) + NHT SuperCenter (Ctr)
•NHT SuperZero (Frt Height L+R)(Sur L+R)(Sur Height L+R)
•NHT SW-2P with NHT MA-1 mono Amp (Sub)
post #100 of 118 Old 04-10-2019, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I can't quite figure out why, in this relatively advanced age, you can't stream/download content without sacrificing the audio quality available on a physical disc. Is there some some technical reason for this? Or is it just greed and/or pigheadedness by the content owners?

MIKE

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.
--H. L. Mencken
post #101 of 118 Old 04-10-2019, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by mraub View Post
I can't quite figure out why, in this relatively advanced age, you can't stream/download content without sacrificing the audio quality available on a physical disc. Is there some some technical reason for this? Or is it just greed and/or pigheadedness by the content owners?
It's called bandwidth ...

---------------------------------------
Samsung 75Q9FN, OPPO UDP-205, Radiance 2043
Win 10 Pro x64 1903
HT Enthusiast Extended Custom WF v19.3.0 - 7/5/2019
HT Enthusiast Essentials Custom WF v1.2.0 - 7/5/2019
post #102 of 118 Old 04-10-2019, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 56
What is the bandwidth required for video+Atmos audio vs. video+downgraded audio? It seems like lots of folks have bandwidth to burn, so is that really the limiting factor?

MIKE

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.
--H. L. Mencken
post #103 of 118 Old 04-10-2019, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kiler View Post
Doesn't the Sony x700 UHD player fit into that category?
No, the present Sony Blu-ray player is 9"*7"*1.5", I could stretch to 10"*10"*1.5".

Thanks for thinking of me!
post #104 of 118 Old 04-10-2019, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Both.

Sony A9F, LG B6 (retired)
post #105 of 118 Old 04-10-2019, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 1436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess Sayin View Post
Nice photo. Discs make a wall look good.
It's nothin' without Captain Ron and Don Juan DeMarco.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #106 of 118 Old 04-12-2019, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Blu-Ray is our last chance to keep a copy of good movies without having to pay for watching them over and over again. and it seems that streaming services will keep movies selectively based on popularity.
Streaming services are starting to segment the market where you have to get Disney + for this, Netflix for that, Amazon for this, etc.
4k movie disks are marginally better for picture and significantly better in sound for most movies compared to Blu-ray. The only exception are 4K nature documentaries (Planet Earth, etc.) where the process of recording and presenting is carefully done at a high level to impress.

Why do I say that. Like you, I have all three and compare them on OPPO and OLED.
my advice: Buy Blu-ray. Stream 4k.
post #107 of 118 Old 04-13-2019, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
I only stream movies(via vudu mostly) for casual, low to moderate volume levels.
When I want to flex my system and really enjoy it, nothing beats those beautiful physical blu ray and uhd discs [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
There's something special to actually physically own and appreciate them.
No offense. I’d call that hoarding.
Tex_Thai likes this.
post #108 of 118 Old 04-13-2019, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACEdubs View Post
It's called a movie collection. I suppose you call stamp collecting stamp hoarding ...

Win 10 Pro x64 1903
post #109 of 118 Old 04-14-2019, 08:39 AM

Liked: 44
Quote:

post #110 of 118 Old 04-14-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDude View Post
Quote:
It's called a movie collection. I suppose you call stamp collecting stamp hoarding ... [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif[/IMG]
Absolutely. I haven’t used a stamp in years. Unnecessary collection.
post #111 of 118 Old 04-14-2019, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Absolutely. I haven’t used a stamp in years. Unnecessary collection.
I apologize. I understand now only your opinions are valid. I shall keep that in mind.

Win 10 Pro x64 1903
post #112 of 118 Old 04-14-2019, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I stream 4K SDR and HDR here . I may be missing a lot without an HDR player and discs but that is where I am right now.

Samsung 55KS8000 ,Samsung 55MU6300 . Sony 55X850C ,LG 42LB5400 ,Roku 2
Sony ES 7.1HT AVR modest 5.1 surround with Elac B6 fronts w/other impedance and sensitivity matched surrounds , center and powered sub that work well for what it is.
post #113 of 118 Old 04-14-2019, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1664 Post(s)
Liked: 4830
Lol. My movie collection isn't peanuts compared to some. I wouldn't consider it hoarding by far.
post #114 of 118 Old 04-14-2019, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunmetalR56 View Post
Disc unless its on Netflix/Amazon and I don't already have the disc.
I didnt know disc was even a thing anymore. Who watches movies over and over?
post #115 of 118 Old 04-14-2019, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 608
I've only ever seen UHD HDR content via streaming. I'd love to see how much better that format can look in Dolby Vision from a UHD Blu-ray disc on my LG OLED but I can't see the point in buying a player. I rarely use my regular Blu-ray player. I don't tend to watch movies over and over, so have never gotten into buying content on disc. Yes, I've purchased a handful of titles in both disc and digital formats over the years but not that many.

If all the Redbox machines around me offered a big selection of UHD BDs, then I might buy a player. But they don't. So rather than spend $200 on a UHD BD player and $20-25 to purchase each movie, I'll just spend that money on streaming subscription fees and occasional UHD HDR digital rentals from Apple.
post #116 of 118 Old 04-14-2019, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by agincourt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunmetalR56 View Post
Disc unless its on Netflix/Amazon and I don't already have the disc.
I didnt know disc was even a thing anymore. Who watches movies over and over?
Me!

Ascend Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Ascend Horizon Center w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 2 surrounds, PSB Imagine XA Atmos modules (x4), SVS PB13 Ultras (x2), SVS PB12+ (x2)
Denon X6500H / Emotiva Mini-X a-100
Panasonic DP-UB820 / PS4 Pro / XBOX 1X
Sony XBR75Z9D, LG OLED65B7A
post #117 of 118 Old 06-28-2019, 01:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Physical media all the way, always, for both games and movies (2D/3D BD + UHD).

The day digital completely takes over, is the day I will need to look for a new hobby.
Steve P. likes this.
post #118 of 118 Old 06-28-2019, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR662 View Post
Physical media all the way, always, for both games and movies (2D/3D BD + UHD).

The day digital completely takes over, is the day I will need to look for a new hobby.
I'll keep my hobby, since I'll have those (for the most part) nice BDs & 4Ks to watch .

Win 10 Pro x64 1903
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Netflix , uhd streaming , ultra hd blu-ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page