2019 LG SM9000 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 93Likes

post #31 of 218 Old 05-16-2019, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecwrvd2 View Post
Just came ten minutes ago. I'll set it up tomorrow and run some Xbox One X through it and also my Sony X900F. I have two, both in the same lighting environment.

That was my thoughts on the C9 as well. I have C7 and didnt have any issues eventhough I game A LOT and played a ton of games with static bars (Dark Souls, Mortal Kombat, Destiny, etc).

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Great!

Do you have any games like Resident Evil 2 or Friday the 13th to test out? Or just any dark game really, but those would be good games to test given how dark the environments are.

I know blacks aren't going to be VA, but just as long as everything is respectable. I really won't be watching in a dark room most of the time. At night I have a lamp next to the couch I use to light up the room. And during the day (when I'm at home) I open the blinds.

I'm coming from an X900E. Gonna miss that tv (selling it to my sister), but I want something with better compatibility with my OSSC and better input lag. I've thought of going the OLED route, but I always get the burn in thought in my head which pushes me away
Ecwrvd2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 218 Old 05-16-2019, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Question, this TV model suppose to have the FULL HDMI 2.1 that everyone (gamer wise) is waiting for? Supposedly HDMI 2.1 suppose to be the thing for next year but this TV has it? and is it all of the HDMI inputs as well FULL? If so, I'm having my eye on this. I was going to wait another year but I have a TV that super old and really want to fully enjoy my backlog of games I have for my PS4 PRO and also be prepare for next year PS5.
post #33 of 218 Old 05-17-2019, 06:22 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Just came ten minutes ago. I'll set it up tomorrow and run some Xbox One X through it and also my Sony X900F. I have two, both in the same lighting environment.

That was my thoughts on the C9 as well. I have C7 and didnt have any issues eventhough I game A LOT and played a ton of games with static bars (Dark Souls, Mortal Kombat, Destiny, etc).

Nice! I have a C6 [would get moved to my bedroom if I get anything newer]. OLED is amazing, but I would like something a little more forgiving with Switch games (Smash has a lot of bright red hud elements) and guests. Something like the SM9000 would be perfect for everything except pillar/letter boxes (for whatever reason, the IPS "blacks" within the scene don't bother me too much).

120hz + eArc should be all I need for a while.

Hopefully, you have good things to say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJarvis View Post
Great!

Do you have any games like Resident Evil 2 or Friday the 13th to test out? Or just any dark game really, but those would be good games to test given how dark the environments are.

I know blacks aren't going to be VA, but just as long as everything is respectable. I really won't be watching in a dark room most of the time. At night I have a lamp next to the couch I use to light up the room. And during the day (when I'm at home) I open the blinds.

I'm coming from an X900E. Gonna miss that tv (selling it to my sister), but I want something with better compatibility with my OSSC and better input lag. I've thought of going the OLED route, but I always get the burn in thought in my head which pushes me away
This is exactly my reasoning, when I was still with my parents (saving on rent for the win!), the OLED [and the various FALD VA sets I've owned] was [were] great. Now that I moved, I generally do not open the blinds so that I don't have to jack up the OLED light. Would be nice to watch TV and have the blinds/windows open. I do recommend a bias light though; gave my dad my HU8700 (he also likes 3D) and man, the contrast on that thing was sub-par for what it retailed for. Tossed a bias light on the back and I think it looks much better.

I too am interested in darker games, though Dark Souls is probably dark enough for me.

Even owning an OLED and not having any issues with it doesn't help those burn-in thoughts [and I keep my OLED light at like 15!]. If 3D didn't die, I wouldn't care so much about my C6; but it gets harder and harder to find 3D TVs (though I may have found a UH8500 locally; IPS FTW!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by squad22345 View Post
Question, this TV model suppose to have the FULL HDMI 2.1 that everyone (gamer wise) is waiting for? Supposedly HDMI 2.1 suppose to be the thing for next year but this TV has it? and is it all of the HDMI inputs as well FULL? If so, I'm having my eye on this. I was going to wait another year but I have a TV that super old and really want to fully enjoy my backlog of games I have for my PS4 PRO and also be prepare for next year PS5.
It is supposed to, but it does not seem to support 120hz 4k 4:2:0 over HDMI 2.0 like the Samsung Q900 and there are no (as far as I know) HDMI 2.1 output devices to test for 120hz functionality. I think it would be a huge issue if LG advertised it and they did not have it (they advertise all 4 inputs as being HDMI 2.1, which makes this thing so awesome! eArc for atmos when plugging in directly to the TV for the full benefits, and anything that is only HDMI 2.0 goes directly to my AVR [which supports eArc but not HDMI 2.1]).
Ecwrvd2 and TommyJarvis like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 218 Old 05-17-2019, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Great!

Yeah I have both of them. I'm interested in seeing how the blacks look myself. I'll try to capture it the best I can.

TommyJarvis likes this.

Sony 900F, KS8000, P607
post #35 of 218 Old 05-17-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by del2d View Post
There is some (minimal, imo) light bleed but I only notice it at night when displaying center text against a black background. Corners can be a bit dim as well but imo image quality (with decent source material) is very good. Local dimming was set to Low by default but switching to High made a significant improvement.

Still trying different mix of some settings but I'm more than happy with the TV so far. Plan to do full calibration soon using an old Colormunki Smile.

I also hooked up some old gaming consoles but had to use composite with Sega Saturn (looked awful as expected) since my old XRGB-1 only outputs VGA. Been debating for years to upgrade to a Framemeister or OSSC but was happy using my Toshiba Timm CRT til now. Instead, think I'll get a Polymega (once available) and use the HDMI out.

I missed your post.

Is it like blooming around the letters when it's in the center of screen? Or is it coming from the side bezels? That's good to hear turning up FALD helped it at least. I can deal with some blooming, as long as it's not super noticeable or anything.

I imagine it did look bad, lol. I actually have an XRGB Mini as well and still have it hooked up to use with my PS2 since most games are 480i and the Mini does deinterlacing unlike the OSSC.

I just recently got an OSSC. My current tv, Sony X900E, seems to have some problems with both of the modes (passthru and line double) for 480p content. I have my Dreamcast hooked up via VGA and pasthru doesn't work (screen just flashes image over and over) and line double does work but without the correct aspect ratio with constant audio dropouts every 10-15 seconds. I have to hook the audio up to an external speaker for it to work.

This is one of the reasons why I need this set . I need something with pretty much full compatibility with the OSSC. Last year's model, SK9000, seemed to do that according to what I've read. LG 4k tv's in general seem to have excellent compatibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
This is exactly my reasoning, when I was still with my parents (saving on rent for the win!), the OLED [and the various FALD VA sets I've owned] was [were] great. Now that I moved, I generally do not open the blinds so that I don't have to jack up the OLED light. Would be nice to watch TV and have the blinds/windows open. I do recommend a bias light though; gave my dad my HU8700 (he also likes 3D) and man, the contrast on that thing was sub-par for what it retailed for. Tossed a bias light on the back and I think it looks much better.

I too am interested in darker games, though Dark Souls is probably dark enough for me.

Even owning an OLED and not having any issues with it doesn't help those burn-in thoughts [and I keep my OLED light at like 15!]. If 3D didn't die, I wouldn't care so much about my C6; but it gets harder and harder to find 3D TVs (though I may have found a UH8500 locally; IPS FTW!).

No doubt. I have to have my blinds open with light coming in during the day . I would love nothing more than to have an OLED, but that fear gets me everytime. I'd be doing the same thing as you with lower brightness.

I've looked into bias lighting in the past and almost pulled the trigger. I've never tried or seen it before in person, but always read it is legit. I bet it would be great for this set since it's IPS.

I imagine it is getting to hard to find 3d tvs. I never got into the 3d scene, but my Samsung H7150 had it. I wish I had never sold that tv to my friend (he ended up pawning it) and kept it since it was pretty much at the near end of when good 1080p tvs were still made.

Quote:
Yeah I have both of them. I'm interested in seeing how the blacks look myself. I'll try to capture it the best I can.

Awesome! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. I really hope it's a good performer. Fingers crossed.....
JediMindTrick likes this.
post #36 of 218 Old 05-17-2019, 01:02 PM

I was reading somewhere that HDMI 2.1 should have HDCP 2.3 but this TV doesn't have it listed. Would this effect my viewing for future blu rays or other future devices? It seems that the Sony 950G (another TV I'm looking at) has this and it's only HDMI 2.0 but this LG TV doesn't. What kind of impact can happen because of it? I'm really new too all of this.
post #37 of 218 Old 05-17-2019, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Is it like blooming around the letters when it's in the center of screen? Or is it coming from the side bezels? That's good to hear turning up FALD helped it at least. I can deal with some blooming, as long as it's not super noticeable or anything.
Yeah, just a bit of blooming around letters in the center. I'd post a pic but not sure I can properly capture it (might try this weekend if I'm able to dig out my camera bag). Haven't noticed much blooming from the sides but I have been experimenting with the different settings like Dynamic Contrast. I usually leave variable settings off but found some of them really improve contrast even in dark scenes; still not to OLED levels but better than any other IPS I've seen.
TommyJarvis likes this.
post #38 of 218 Old 05-18-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by del2d View Post
Yeah, just a bit of blooming around letters in the center. I'd post a pic but not sure I can properly capture it (might try this weekend if I'm able to dig out my camera bag). Haven't noticed much blooming from the sides but I have been experimenting with the different settings like Dynamic Contrast. I usually leave variable settings off but found some of them really improve contrast even in dark scenes; still not to OLED levels but better than any other IPS I've seen.

Nice!

Do you own a PS4 or Xbox One and have tried out some games on it? Specifically darker games?

I went ahead and ordered this tv (55") this morning since it seems they're running a sale promotion on it and I don't know when it is going to end. Definitely don't want to miss out just in case the sale happens to end tomorrow.
post #39 of 218 Old 05-18-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Nice!

Do you own a PS4 or Xbox One and have tried out some games on it? Specifically darker games?

I went ahead and ordered this tv (55") this morning since it seems they're running a sale promotion on it and I don't know when it is going to end. Definitely don't want to miss out just in case the sale happens to end tomorrow.
Don't have any of the latest consoles but some of my old Xbox 360 games looked pretty good up-scaled by the TV. I also tried my gaming PC with it but only tested a few games. Doom 2016 looked pretty good at 1440P 120Hz plus HDR. Not quite as smooth as the ultra-wide LG Freesync monitor I mainly use but, whenever graphics cards or DP adapters that can do HDMI 2.1 become available, I'd have no problem permanently moving my PC to the living room for use with the TV.
squad22345 and TommyJarvis like this.
post #40 of 218 Old 05-19-2019, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Avr and junk

Hey all just bought an lg sm9000 today. Having issues figuring out how to hook up avr,Blu-ray, directv. On the last tv, I had everything going to the avr, and just one hdmi out to the tv. Is this tv opposite? I’ve got one hdmi to #2 , the arc on the tv out to a cable/sat input on denon 4500. I finally got sound from directv and Blu-ray, out to avr. But can’t get sound from in tv apps like Netflix ect. I can see it, but still hear directv playing. Any thoughts? Avr is arc capable vision/atmos and all that.
post #41 of 218 Old 05-19-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1313stang View Post
Hey all just bought an lg sm9000 today. Having issues figuring out how to hook up avr,Blu-ray, directv. On the last tv, I had everything going to the avr, and just one hdmi out to the tv. Is this tv opposite? I’ve got one hdmi to #2 , the arc on the tv out to a cable/sat input on denon 4500. I finally got sound from directv and Blu-ray, out to avr. But can’t get sound from in tv apps like Netflix ect. I can see it, but still hear directv playing. Any thoughts? Avr is arc capable vision/atmos and all that.
I think I might be confused about how you have this setup. It seems like you have the TV's arc port connected to an input on the avr? It should be connected to the AVR's display output (the main hdmi out) and the TV should tell the avr that it is sending an audio signal back and it should switch automatically (or you have to switch it to TV audio with the remote [assuming the denon works in a similar fashion to the two other arc-avrs I've used]).
post #42 of 218 Old 05-19-2019, 10:22 PM

Any reviews yet for this TV?
post #43 of 218 Old 05-20-2019, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1282 Post(s)
Liked: 2113
Price talk posts removed.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #44 of 218 Old 05-20-2019, 06:15 PM

Thanks for the response, had to stop because game of thrones was coming on lol. Anyway, your right, got home after work today and messed with it. So..I got hdmi arc monitor #1 out on avr directly to hdmi arc #2 on tv. Blu-ray into avr, directv into avr. Have picture with everything switching inputs on denons remote. But only sound on directv which is the input I kept the denon on while I messed with the TVs apps. So what was happening is I’d hear directv but see Netflix. So I did indeed hit the tv sound on the denon remote and sure enough it now matches. My only wish is that I could see the denons menus while seeing TVs apps. Also wonder if it’s passing through pure sound or dumbing it down to dd. I’m guessing this will be simpler when I get an Apple TV for streaming. I can jus switch over input on denon remote like anything else.
post #45 of 218 Old 05-20-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the response, had to stop because game of thrones was coming on lol. Anyway, your right, got home after work today and messed with it. So..I got hdmi arc monitor #1 out on avr directly to hdmi arc #2 on tv. Blu-ray into avr, directv into avr. Have picture with everything switching inputs on denons remote. But only sound on directv which is the input I kept the denon on while I messed with the TVs apps. So what was happening is I’d hear directv but see Netflix. So I did indeed hit the tv sound on the denon remote and sure enough it now matches. My only wish is that I could see the denons menus while seeing TVs apps. Also wonder if it’s passing through pure sound or dumbing it down to dd. I’m guessing this will be simpler when I get an Apple TV for streaming. I can jus switch over input on denon remote like anything else.
Yea, that is my biggest issue with arc (not being able to see the AVR hud). Glad the "tv audio" button worked for you!

Assuming what you are watching is in a 'better' format than DD/DD+, I believe it should be passing through the "pure sound" as the TV and the AVR should both support EARC. Not exactly sure what content on netflix/amazon/hbo/etc have higher bitrate audio options (I think something like Plex should/watching stuff from TVs media player and a USB drive).

How do you like the TV so far?
post #46 of 218 Old 05-21-2019, 07:21 AM

its only been a couple of days but you know, i really like it. i agonized for a yr going over reviews, ratings, forums, tech articles ect. my 1st obvious choices was the c9,c8,b8. but at the end of the day, i just couldnt justify the cost vs the burn in risk. keeping in mind, im leaving an 11 yr old sony, all new tvs looked fantastic. samsung/no dolby v. so they were out. liked a sony, neat it came with imax enhanced, although few & far between content available. & wasnt crazy about the os. sum1 on youtube said it right: your not just buying a great picture, you have to live with this for the next 5 to 7 yrs. so the astetics, sound, os ect will play a part in your over all enjoyment. wasnt alot of info on this tv being new, but the sk9000 got good reviews. now if i can figure out all the menu stuff lol. ill be getting a calibration in the coming weeks.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
post #47 of 218 Old 05-21-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the response, had to stop because game of thrones was coming on lol. Anyway, your right, got home after work today and messed with it. So..I got hdmi arc monitor on tv. Blu-ray into avr, directv into avr. Have picture with everything switching inputs on denons remote. But only sound on directv which is the input I kept the denon on while I messed with the TVs apps. So what was happening is I’d hear directv but see Netflix. So I did indeed hit the tv sound on the denon remote and sure enough it now matches. My only wish is that I could see the denons menus while seeing TVs apps. Also wonder if it’s passing through pure sound or dumbing it down to dd. I’m guessing this will be simpler when I get an Apple TV for streaming. I can jus switch over input on denon remote like anything else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
Yea, that is my biggest issue with arc (not being able to see the AVR hud). Glad the "tv audio" button worked for you!

Assuming what you are watching is in a 'better' format than DD/DD+, I believe it should be passing through the "pure sound" as the TV and the AVR should both support EARC. Not exactly sure what content on netflix/amazon/hbo/etc have higher bitrate audio options (I think something like Plex should/watching stuff from TVs media player and a USB drive).

Once HDMI ARC is enabled in Sound options, two additional settings appear below it that don't show when using the TV speakers or any other output method. eARC is OFF by default for some reason (I guess for compatibility with old ARC only systems) and you can set Digital Sound Out to Passthrough. I thought having Bitstream audio ON under Sound / Additional Settings / HDMI Input Audio Format was enough but both settings may be needed in some cases.
JediMindTrick likes this.
post #48 of 218 Old 05-22-2019, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Lg 75sm9070

So i got this TV for about 5 days to replace my Vizio P65-C1. Overall the TV is good and a step from great because to one glaring issue i notice... Blooming. I have never seen blooming this bad on a TV. The way the TV was turning on/off the LEDs was very distracting. Even my aging Vizio does a better job. May be I was watching an HDR content, I don't know. Even the pointer blooms as bad. Blacks are washed out and grayish. I am spoiled maybe because of my C8 which is unbelievable in PC. Don't know why LG could approve something like this as premium.

The TV however has great procession power. The Alpha 7 gen 2 does handle task as expected, no buffers or sluggishness when running multiple programs.

The main reason I get a TV is picture quality and processing power, when one lacks its a bummer for me. I really hope LG can fix this as I am stuck with this TV. Or maybe there is something that I am missing here. If so Please point me to the right directing. I am temped to put back up my P65 if no solution to help with this.

Last edited by saiks; 05-22-2019 at 08:36 AM.
post #49 of 218 Old 05-22-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiks View Post
So i got this TV for about 5 days to replace my Vizio P65-C1. Overall the TV is good and a step from great because to one glaring issue i notice... Blooming. I have never seen blooming this bad on a TV. The way the TV was turning on/off the LEDs was very distracting. Even my aging Vizio does a better job. May be I was watching an HDR content, I don't know. Even the pointer blooms as bad. Blacks are washed out and grayish. I am spoiled maybe because of my C8 which is unbelievable in PC. Don't know why LG could approve something like this as premium.

The TV however has great procession power. The Alpha 7 gen 2 does handle task as expected, no buffers or sluggishness when running multiple programs.

The main reason I get a TV is picture quality and processing power, when one lacks its a bummer for me. I really hope LG can fix this as I am stuck with this TV. Or maybe there is something that I am missing here. If so Please point me to the right directing. I am temped to put back up my P65 if no solution to help with this.
That's not good news at all and it's making me very nervous now. I was going to pick it up especially since its 1499 right now on sale for the 65 inch but now I guess I might go to the 55 inch Sony TV since their 65 inch cost more than my life itself.
post #50 of 218 Old 05-22-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
That's not good news at all and it's making me very nervous now. I was going to pick it up especially since its 1499 right now on sale for the 65 inch but now I guess I might go to the 55 inch Sony TV since their 65 inch cost more than my life itself.
I will add some picture in a bit, I have never been so disappointed. LG gave it all this horsepower to deliver this. smh. The worst part is that they think its ok.
post #51 of 218 Old 05-22-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiks View Post
I will add some picture in a bit, I have never been so disappointed. LG gave it all this horsepower to deliver this. smh. The worst part is that they think its ok.
Sweet, that would be so helpful. Thanks again for the help.
post #52 of 218 Old 05-22-2019, 04:12 PM

I have noticed a little bit. Primarily the nat geo logo against a black background.....does anyone know if only hdmi#2 is arc? It comes up as bd player in guide, and it’s the only one I can’t edit the name to. My avr is in that slot, & everything else goes through the avr. and it’s confusing my wife lol
post #53 of 218 Old 05-22-2019, 05:05 PM

Hmm it looks like only #2 hdmi is arc. When I switch avr over to #1 , I can’t get audio from built in apps. Why would they make it only #2 ?...something else, when I switched it to #1 , it’s calling the avr bd player no matter what slot it’s in. Does anyone use the lg remote to control the cable/sat? So far, it looks like the convenience of everything going through the tv, removes remotes, but also remove some features of them remotes that you can’t duplicate with the lg remote.
post #54 of 218 Old 05-22-2019, 05:17 PM

Ok so I turned off the linkshare or whatever it’s called and now hdmi #2 just say hdmi#2 . So that’s good. I have an lg Blu-ray player so maybe by having the link thing turned on, and an eligible lg product through the avr it just assumes it’s a blu ray player. It would explain how the bd player keeps turning on lol....I don’t know if this will be helpful to anyone, but I’m just what I’m experiencing in case later down the road when they start selling more of these TVs maybe it’ll help sum 1....well damn it, when you turn the speaker setting to arc, it automatically turns simplink back on. Lol
post #55 of 218 Old 05-23-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
I have noticed a little bit. Primarily the nat geo logo against a black background.....does anyone know if only hdmi#2 is arc? It comes up as bd player in guide, and it’s the only one I can’t edit the name to. My avr is in that slot, & everything else goes through the avr. and it’s confusing my wife lol
HDMI 2 is ARC...
post #56 of 218 Old 05-23-2019, 08:29 AM

Pictures

Quote:
Sweet, that would be so helpful. Thanks again for the help.
Painful to the eye... I really hope they are working on a fix
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled 2.png
Views:	446
Size:	7.09 MB
ID:	2570590   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190523_100741.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	412.3 KB
ID:	2570592   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	346
Size:	7.09 MB
ID:	2570594  
post #57 of 218 Old 05-23-2019, 09:07 AM

hmm yea that doesnt look good. i watched parts of "it" yesterday, dolby vision came up & atmos showed automatically on avr, i didnt see anything like that. i have seen a slight halo around the pointer like sum1 said.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
post #58 of 218 Old 05-23-2019, 10:34 AM

Haven't seen that on my set either. First movie I tested was Arrival in UHD (not exactly a reference disc but has plenty of dark scenes). Didn't notice much blooming so I was mainly concerned about tweaking contrast.
post #59 of 218 Old 05-23-2019, 10:45 AM

These were capture from The Revenant, which combine a lot and bright and dark scenes. One can literally see the LEDs turning on/off. When CC is turn on its even worst. If anyone can test that with the TV...
post #60 of 218 Old 05-23-2019, 11:01 AM

What settings are you using for Local Dimming, Dynamic Contrast, etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page