2019 LG SM9000 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 91Likes

post #61 of 206 Old 05-24-2019, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Got mine delivered today. I gotta say, so far, I really like what I'm seeing. Colors are nice. Blacks of course are not VA in dark games like F13th and Resident Evil 2, but it's very good for IPS. I've not noticed any blooming, though I haven't watched in the pitch dark. My OSSC looks fantastic on it. Camera doesn't do it justice, but I took a pic of Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast via VGA and 480p line doubled (960p) on the OSSC:

DavidinCT and del2d like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 206 Old 05-24-2019, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJarvis View Post
Got mine delivered today. I gotta say, so far, I really like what I'm seeing. Colors are nice. Blacks of course are not VA in dark games like F13th and Resident Evil 2, but it's very good for IPS. I've not noticed any blooming, though I haven't watched in the pitch dark. My OSSC looks fantastic on it. Camera doesn't do it justice, but I took a pic of Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast via VGA and 480p line doubled (960p) on the OSSC:

How the input lag and what size tv did you get? Also do you got any modern games to see how the input lag feels on it? Thank you!!!!
post #63 of 206 Old 05-25-2019, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by squad22345 View Post
How the input lag and what size tv did you get? Also do you got any modern games to see how the input lag feels on it? Thank you!!!!

I got the 55" version. Input lag feels good. The newer games I've played so far are Resident Evil 2, Friday the 13th, Kingdom Hearts 3, Battlefield 1 and Call of Duty Modern Warfare Remaster.

I think I read somewhere input lag is around 15ms on this tv. It's definitely an improvement over my Sony X900E.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 206 Old 05-25-2019, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Does anyone know the best way to clean these screens? I mounted it today and it’s got oily smears on it that I can’t seem to get off. Used microfiber towel, but don’t know what type of cleaner. Distilled water? LCD cleaner on amazon? Someone made a comment that it ruined their anti glare coating on their iMac. Do these have any coating?
post #65 of 206 Old 05-25-2019, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I got this TV (55" version) a few weeks ago and its been a bit of a nightmare so far. Coming from a 2015 Samsung 4K I was expecting great things. I've been primarily playing games on it so that's where a lot of my issues are. On PS4 Pro and Xbox One X I'm getting sporadic flickering/stuttering that occurs for like a split second, but it's enough to throw off my aim in a shooter or look like a glitch in anything else. I spoke to LG support and they suggested unplugging the TV. That seemed to help for a while but it's hard to say since it did start happening again.

In addition to that, I was really excited about the TV's Instant Game Response feature with Xbox One X, but I've had to turn the feature off as it introduces an extra thick layer of ghosting that makes the whole screen look like sludge when I move.

Anyone else noticing this stuff? I'm hoping this is an issue that can be addressed in a firmware update, but I'm worried I may have just received a bad unit.
post #66 of 206 Old 05-27-2019, 02:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazepharmacist View Post
It says right on the product page it uses dithering.

https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-65SM9000PUA-4k-uhd-tv
Almost bought an SM 9000 today but 8-bit dither and not a true 10-bit Panel is a deal, breaker.
post #67 of 206 Old 05-27-2019, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold View Post
Almost bought an SM 9000 today but 8-bit dither and not a true 10-bit Panel is a deal, breaker.
Any reason in particular this is a deal breaker? The SK9000/9500 also had dithering and they had pretty solid color gradient scores. Obviously it is a personal thing, but seems like the 8bit+frc vs 10bit seems like a pretty inconsequential thing at this point (as opposed to things like DSE/contrast/good FALD implementation/motion).

FWIW, the SK9000 (also an 8bit+frc) has the 14th best gradient score on RTINGS: https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/changelog-gradient

Also, I do not see anything indicating that some of the other 'better' panels are true 10 bit panels either (the UK6570 sticks out to me, it is a lower end [though larger] LG IPS set and it is top 5, seems weird that LG would put a true 10 bit panel in this if they don't even put them in their "flagship" IPS sets).
post #68 of 206 Old 05-27-2019, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Just got mine, havent opened the box?

Hi, I was so exited about the features of this tv, but after reading the reviews, I dont know if I even want to open the box. Blooming? I only got it a few days ago, I was exited about the earc and hdmi 2.1. Now Im not sure I understand if the people here are happy or not?
post #69 of 206 Old 05-27-2019, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I found one website show 2019 LG nanocell tv sm95 & sm90 is true 10bit panel. But sm85 is 8bit + frc.

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/845c1892
post #70 of 206 Old 05-27-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrykerry View Post
Hi, I was so exited about the features of this tv, but after reading the reviews, I dont know if I even want to open the box. Blooming? I only got it a few days ago, I was exited about the earc and hdmi 2.1. Now Im not sure I understand if the people here are happy or not?
Yeah its a toss off if it's good or not. Surprising no one has bought this TV yet and if they did no one really came back and really talked about it. Not enough for me to push the buy button but I'm also waiting for the Hisense H9F to come out as well... I mean if you already got it, you should just test it out and see if YOU like it or not. Please report back if you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkthen View Post
I found one website show 2019 LG nanocell tv sm95 & sm90 is true 10bit panel. But sm85 is 8bit + frc.

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/845c1892
If that's true and damn awesome news!!!
post #71 of 206 Old 05-27-2019, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by del2d View Post
What settings are you using for Local Dimming, Dynamic Contrast, etc?
Dynamic Contract - Off
Local Dimming - High
Super Resolution - Off
Noise Reduction - Off
Real Cinema - Off
TruMotion - Off
Black Level - Low

There is a new FW just released, hope it fix things a bit.

Last edited by saiks; 05-28-2019 at 07:16 AM.
post #72 of 206 Old 05-28-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Yeah its a toss off if it's good or not. Surprising no one has bought this TV yet and if they did no one really came back and really talked about it. Not enough for me to push the buy button but I'm also waiting for the Hisense H9F to come out as well... I mean if you already got it, you should just test it out and see if YOU like it or not. Please report back if you do

If that's true and damn awesome news!!!

I still haven't opened it, I'm still looking for other reviews, maybe just take it back and get the tcl 6 series and get back almost 1000 and get a dishwasher.. ha. I'm building my man cave right now and just getting ready to sheetrock, do you know any other review sites? I think I've looked everywhere
post #73 of 206 Old 05-28-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
I still haven't opened it, I'm still looking for other reviews, maybe just take it back and get the tcl 6 series and get back almost 1000 and get a dishwasher.. ha. I'm building my man cave right now and just getting ready to sheetrock, do you know any other review sites? I think I've looked everywhere
Sadly no, I only know of this site and rtings and I think they not going to review this anytime soon sadly.
post #74 of 206 Old 05-28-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:

Where did you buy it from?

If somewhere without a restocking fee, I see no reason not to at least open it and see if your screen is good (enough for you). You could read reviews until you are blue in the face and it might not make a lick of difference if you got a lemon (or if you got a perfect set). That happened to me with the X900E and the P605; the X900E got rave reviews (I hated it and returned it almost immediately, blooming and the WORST OS I have ever used on a TV [C6P, HU8550, P605, KS8000 were all MUCH better]) and the P605/607 also had very solid reviews (I don't like it, picture looks pretty bad with most animated content because of the DSE, the upscaling doesn't seem that great; would have returned it, but the price was good and I needed a cheap TV to 'save' my OLED from static-content). Cannot wait until I can replace the P605 (waiting on HDMI 2.1 graphics cards before pulling the trigger on a set).
post #75 of 206 Old 05-28-2019, 01:35 PM
exm
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Just like some others here, I'm looking at a large television (85") to replace my projector. Initially I had my mind set on the Sony 85X900F, but it looks like that the LG86SM90 is around the same price point. I'll be using this television mostly for movies and shows (no gaming). What are the pros/cons of the Sony vs the LG if someone knows the answer at this point? Thanks!

PS - I read that the LG 86 and 75-inch SM90 models get Full Array Dimming Pro.
post #76 of 206 Old 05-28-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Sadly no, I only know of this site and rtings and I think they not going to review this anytime soon sadly.
Yes, all the reviews are about the sk9000....Im going to hang tight for a day or two, didnt want to take it out of the box, Im still building, and dont want to drop a piece of sheet rock on it..ha..I was going to get the TCL originally, but do like the hdmi 2.1 and earc capabilities. Im going to put in an acoustic cieling in my man cave with a couple good atmos speakers...
post #77 of 206 Old 05-28-2019, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saiks View Post
Dynamic Contract - Off
Local Dimming - High
Super Resolution - Off
Noise Reduction - Off
Real Cinema - Off
TruMotion - Off
Black Level - Low

There is a new FW just released, hope it fix things a bit.
I'm certainly no expert but those settings look ok imo. I ended up turning Dynamic Contrast back on and set to Medium or High since the image improvement was worth it to my eyes.

I do recommend trying High vs Low on the Black Level. After trying a half dozen discs I decided neither setting was perfect for all of them and ended up changing it based on the movie.

I did the update (to version 03.60.02) a couple days ago but can't detect any differences so far. Don't use the smart features much so no idea if any changes there. Assume there were some bug/security? fixes but can't find a change log anywhere.
post #78 of 206 Old 05-28-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
I'm certainly no expert but those settings look ok imo. I ended up turning Dynamic Contrast back on and set to Medium or High since the image improvement was worth it to my eyes.

I do recommend trying High vs Low on the Black Level. After trying a half dozen discs I decided neither setting was perfect for all of them and ended up changing it based on the movie.

I did the update (to version 03.60.02) a couple days ago but can't detect any differences so far. Don't use the smart features much so no idea if any changes there. Assume there were some bug/security? fixes but can't find a change log anywhere.
So are you happy with it? From reading these comments, I cant tell if the people buying this tv like it or not? Just OK? Id like to hear Awesome, best ever, so on..ha
post #79 of 206 Old 05-28-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:

Black levels on high washes out and makes it look gray. Low is the best option for me

No issues for me when watching cable tv, as pic is bright and no issue with blooming. Anything else besides that is were I have an issues.

Change Log for the FW:
Detailed applicable model list : Please check with reference Tab exactly
* SW information

1. Improvement
1) Available Amazon Alexa service.
(need to download "Amazon Alexa" app from LG Contents Store)
2) Improving Youtube voice service
3) dding sound bar to Home dashboard
4) Fixed minor bugs.

I think the FW is all for the Alpha 7 gen2 chip
del2d likes this.
post #80 of 206 Old 05-28-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
So are you happy with it? From reading these comments, I cant tell if the people buying this tv like it or not? Just OK? Id like to hear Awesome, best ever, so on..ha
For the TV is just ok as picture quality and processing are the most important thing for me. It nailed the processing piece but falls way short on how the implement the FALD. I hope it get better with FW updates. Maybe it the 75 inch model, too big and space between the LEDs I don't know just guessing here
post #81 of 206 Old 05-28-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
For the TV is just ok as picture quality and processing are the most important thing for me. It nailed the processing piece but falls way short on how the implement the FALD. I hope it get better with FW updates. Maybe it the 75 inch model, too big and space between the LEDs I don't know just guessing here
Thats what I keep hearing, just ok. I keep feeling like I made a bad choice, like Ive been saying mines still in the box and I just cant tell from these posts if I should keep it or go get a TCL and save 1000 bucks, can someone help?
Wytchone likes this.
post #82 of 206 Old 05-28-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Thats what I keep hearing, just ok. I keep feeling like I made a bad choice, like Ive been saying mines still in the box and I just cant tell from these posts if I should keep it or go get a TCL and save 1000 bucks, can someone help?
So you dont have the 65"? I think the 75 is edge lit, so no comparison...
post #83 of 206 Old 05-28-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
So you dont have the 65"? I think the 75 is edge lit, so no comparison...
The Nanocell Series at least is:
Key Features
Ultra Large
LG ThinQ AI | Google Assistant | Alexa
LG α7 Gen 2 Intelligent Processor
Full Array Dimming
Nano Cell Display
Dolby Vision | Dolby Atmos

It has the same features as the SM9500
post #84 of 206 Old 05-28-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
The Nanocell Series at least is:
Key Features
Ultra Large
LG ThinQ AI | Google Assistant | Alexa
LG α7 Gen 2 Intelligent Processor
Full Array Dimming
Nano Cell Display
Dolby Vision | Dolby Atmos

It has the same features as the SM9500
Sorry my mistake, so bottom line, do you like it?
post #85 of 206 Old 05-28-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
This is my 3rd LG screen (all IPS) and the first with 4K so I had some faith, at the very least, that it wouldn't look bad. I'm happy with mine but imo it won't wow everyone like an OLED might. I just didn't want worries of OLED burn-in hanging around for (perhaps) the next decade and the 55SM9000 was the most compact TV available with most of the features I wanted.

Think of the SM9000 series as one that checks many of the boxes on a TV wishlist like eARC, 120Hz, VRR, DV, etc. FALD is also welcome although it may not be the best implementation.

Quote:
Haven't seen it but I noticed the 65SM9500 has FALD Pro. Not sure why LG is fragmenting this feature so high up their NanoCell line but I wonder how much better it is on the 9500. Perhaps it has the dimming performance that some expected on the 9000?

Last edited by del2d; 05-28-2019 at 07:13 PM.
post #86 of 206 Old 05-28-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
This is my 3rd LG screen (all IPS) and the first with 4K so I had some faith, at the very least, that it wouldn't look bad. I'm happy with mine but imo it won't wow everyone like an OLED might. I just didn't want worries of OLED burn-in hanging around for (perhaps) the next decade and the 55SM9000 was the most compact TV available with most of the features I wanted.

Think of the SM9000 series as one that checks many of the boxes on a TV wishlist like eARC, 120Hz, VRR, DV, etc. FALD is also welcome although it may not be the best implementation.

Haven't seen it but I noticed the 65SM9500 has FALD Pro. Not sure why LG is fragmenting this feature so high up their NanoCell line but I wonder how much better it is on the 9500. Perhaps it has the dimming performance that some expected on the 9000?
Thanks, I understand it has very good features. What Im trying to find out, is do you like it, would you buy again, should I return mine? Still confused....
post #87 of 206 Old 05-28-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I understand it has very good features. What Im trying to find out, is do you like it, would you buy again, should I return mine? Still confused....
I like it enough that I didn't return it. If I thought the picture was bad no way I'd have kept it. Not sure that helps but it's the best I can honestly summarize.

If absolute image quality is a must for you, then the SM9000 may not be it. How close (or far away) it performs to your absolute only you can say but I'd recommend at least seeing it in action.
post #88 of 206 Old 05-29-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Sorry my mistake, so bottom line, do you like it?
Overall I like the TV, but i due time hoping these small kinks get a fix.

My SM9070 has the same FALD Pro as the SM9500. I don't use the TV as much, for the family. However, my main right now in the bedroom is 65" C8 and I absolutely love this TV.

Last edited by saiks; 05-29-2019 at 04:05 PM.
post #89 of 206 Old 06-03-2019, 03:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Has anyone tried to hook up a Freesync GPU to this? Will this TV support Freesync from a gaming PC?
post #90 of 206 Old 06-03-2019, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefBigFeather View Post
Has anyone tried to hook up a Freesync GPU to this? Will this TV support Freesync from a gaming PC?
AFAIK, Freesync is not supported on this set (or any of the LG HDMI 2.1 sets with VRR). This set has the HDMI Forum implementation of VRR and is only supported by the Xbox One X at this time.

Per RTINGS:
Quote:
The LG C9 has a native 120Hz refresh rate, and it supports VRR, which is great. Unfortunately, it only supports HDMI Forum's new HDMI-VRR format, which is not compatible with FreeSync or G-SYNC. The only device currently on the market which supports HDMI-VRR is the Xbox One. We tested it for compatibility with the Xbox One, and it does appear to work, but only in SDR. If HDR is enabled on the Xbox and you are in Game mode, the screen flickers constantly. LG has confirmed that they are working on a fix. Unfortunately, it isn't possible to determine the VRR range with an Xbox One.
It is unlikely that HDMI-VRR will remain an Xbox exclusive format. If updated drivers or new graphics cards are released that support it, we will retest the C9 to determine the VRR range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page