2019 LG SM9000 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 93Likes

post #121 of 215 Old 06-14-2019, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by del2d View Post
I finally got eARC working with the 55SM9000 and was able to pass both Dolby Atmos and DTS:X signals through the TV to an Atmos/DTS:X compatible soundbar via hdmi.

FYI, it does require using at least an 18Gbps hdmi cable. I initially tried a Monster high-speed cable (10Gbps?) but got no sound and the image from my LG UHD player looked like a 2 or 3 player split-screen!
I just order mine and should be getting it this monday, kind of hype for it First 4k TV ever. You still enjoying yours right now? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 215 Old 06-17-2019, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 7
In Canada - and I'm also looking for an 85 incher for my family room. Have narrowed down to the LG 86SM9070 and the Sony XBR85X900F. However, not yet got to see the LG in action, although I've seen the 75 inch version of the Sony.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a detailed comparison between the two in the next few months. I'm holding off the purchase until they come on sale...
post #123 of 215 Old 06-17-2019, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I just purchased the 75sm9070 from my local BBY, I was wanting the the 86inch but could justify the price difference (although the 86 is only listed at the MSRP as of now) - My set gets delivered this week and I will be setting it up along with a new receiver to handle 4k -

Im coming off a 1080p epson projector for the last 7 years - so this will be a huge upgrade for my ps4 pro and xbox one x - I know the LG is not the popular choice between the top samsung, sony, lg oleds , but the HDMI 2.1 was a big selling point for the new consoles coming out next year.

Hoping I will like this set - and will chime in later this week when setup
Ecwrvd2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 215 Old 06-18-2019, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1ghtcrawl3r View Post
In Canada - and I'm also looking for an 85 incher for my family room. Have narrowed down to the LG 86SM9070 and the Sony XBR85X900F. However, not yet got to see the LG in action, although I've seen the 75 inch version of the Sony.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a detailed comparison between the two in the next few months. I'm holding off the purchase until they come on sale...
I own the X900F and Sm9000, both in 55 inch.

The black levels on the X900F are better but barely than the LG. The colors are better on the LG.

I'd day pick up whatever can save you some money because both are excellent and very comparable overall.

I give the LGSM9000 the slight nod because of the HDMI 2.1 ports and "future proofing".

Cant go wrong with either one IMO.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
n1ghtcrawl3r and rynomyte like this.

Sony 900F, KS8000, P607
post #125 of 215 Old 06-18-2019, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by squad22345 View Post
I just purchased my 55 inch LG SM9000 today on Amazon getting it on Monday. Since you have the TV for awhile, you got any tips on picture settings or game settings tips? Any thing would be grateful and you still enjoying it?
I posted my settings earlier in the thread for gaming. I'm going to mess with it a little more later today.

I'm really liking this set.

n1ghtcrawl3r likes this.

Sony 900F, KS8000, P607
post #126 of 215 Old 06-25-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecwrvd2 View Post
I posted my settings earlier in the thread for gaming. I'm going to mess with it a little more later today.

I'm really liking this set.

Any more thoughts?
post #127 of 215 Old 06-25-2019, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Those looking for big LG might checkout the 82 inch 8070. It is VA panel and cheaper.
post #128 of 215 Old 06-25-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post
Those looking for big LG might checkout the 82 inch 8070. It is VA panel and cheaper.
Thats odd...the LG website says the 86UM8070 is an IPS panel, but doesnt mention anything for the 82UM8070.

Also, isnt the UM a step down - i.e no FALD?
post #129 of 215 Old 06-25-2019, 09:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Any gaming videos or pictures in the SM9000 ?
post #130 of 215 Old 06-29-2019, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Not sure if the right thread but couldn't find one for the SM8670 series. Just picked up a 75SM8670 and absolutely love the set BUT noticed that in dark scenes the TV tries to highlight any light in the scene with way over done edge light and puts a big bright vertical section on the screen and moves left to right as the lighted section of the picture moves or if there are multiple parts of the scene with light there are multiple vertical bright spots.

Is this normal or a way to change this effect?

Also was watching wonder woman 4k when noticing this
post #131 of 215 Old 06-29-2019, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Fernando87, I notice that too. That is the only thing that I don't like about the tv. I wish LG would do something about it. It's a really good tv otherwise (for led/lcd), imo.
post #132 of 215 Old 06-29-2019, 05:21 PM

I should have specified that I have the LG 55sm9000.
post #133 of 215 Old 06-30-2019, 01:14 AM

As long as it's full screen it's not to bad but anything that is 16:9 is terrible especially with any dark scenes.

Not sure to be happy or disappointed with the TV.
post #134 of 215 Old 06-30-2019, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Watched Serenity 4K disc last night and blooming was more problematic no matter which settings I used. It's certainly no reference disc and I know image quality, like many features, is source dependent but looks like local dimming could be among them.

No noticeable blooming after returning to other sources/inputs/content. Hard to tell how many zones the 55SM9000 has for local dimming but (I believe someone mentioned) blooming is more noticeable at an angle.

I'm still content with the purchase though as I needed a TV at the time (was temporarily using an old 24" LCD in my living room) and this was the most future proof.

Surprisingly, I may return the latest soundbar I got since the TV's 2.2 speakers sound pretty good. Not as good as my old Yamahas, but close enough to the new Sony (which has hdmi and DTS:X) that I frequently switch between the two. The SM9000 can decode Atmos but downgrades DTS:X to DTS-MA.
post #135 of 215 Old 06-30-2019, 02:45 PM

I heard that the 55sm9000 has 40 zones. I don't know if that is accurate.
post #136 of 215 Old 06-30-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace1974 View Post
I heard that the 55sm9000 has 40 zones. I don't know if that is accurate.
I counted 42 or 49 but don't know if the number changes depending on settings. Hard to tell since blooming isn't always noticeable and tougher to tell zones apart.

Whatever the number, no doubt the SM9500 has more zones.
post #137 of 215 Old 07-01-2019, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Bought it. Returned it. for a brief weekend I owned the 75 SM90. This TV is Shakespearean as it's the best of times and the worst of times. First the good: the video processor is top notch. DirecTV looks terrific. I saw little to no DSE when watching a DVRd Stanley Cup Final game and a Super Bowl re-run of New Orleans vs Indy was top notch with uniforms looking gorgeous and the grass looking like you could touch it. Watching 4k on Netflix was a good experience. The OS is superb and I like the magic remote. The TV looks very nice and it feels well built. Great to have the most up-do-date HDMI although I think that caused a major problem (see below).

However, there are some detractors that are insurmountable (that could be leading to the already-massive price cuts on the 55 and 65-inch models): as often stated, the black levels are embarrassing. For its flagship LED TV, LG should've gone with a VA panel. The blacks are so bad my girlfriend said (without prompting) that it looked like the actors were in a cloud. I tried all adjustments available including cycling through all of the local dimming options. To level set, I played The Martian and John Wick on a Panasonic DP-UB820-K routed through a Denon AVR4400H receiver using compliant HDMI cables. For comparison, I tried a 2019 65-inch Vizio Quantum G1 with a VA panel that evinced superb blacks. While I loved the 4k UHDs on that set, the DSE while watching hockey was unacceptable. There was a perceptible block of very slight gray that occupied a symmetrical middle of the screen when the cameras panned back as the players were exiting zones and passing the puck forcing quick pans of the cameras. So the Vizio went back and I bought the 75 SM90 though I had serious misgivings about its black levels. In other words, I took a flier.

I tinkered with the calibration settings from Rtings for this set's predecessor since they have not reviewed the 2019 version yet. Nothing worked. The black bars were gray in many scenes. The blooming was awful. And it looked like beams of light coming through the screen on very dark scenes. It was unwatchable as a movie monitor.

The second issue may be an HDMI 2.1 problem...not sure since I've found nothing on this online. But when I turned on my DirecTV DVR, as routed through my 4K-compliant Denon, I got zero sound through my receiver. Nothing. I tried everything from re-setting the box to re-setting the Denon to messing with the speaker settings on the TV's menu. Zippo. There was a brief second after cycling the DVR back on that showed a message stating that the component did not have sufficient copy protection. Not sure if that was it or not because the message went away almost instantly. But this was clearly as show stopper as I have no interest in using ARC for audio given that I have all of my components running through my receiver to ensure Dolby Atmos and lossless audio compatibility. My Panny blu-ray player? No problem. My Roku Elite? No problems passing audio. But my HDR24 DirecTV receiver was rendered mute and for that matter moot.

In conclusion, I went to BB yesterday and got the 75-inch Sony XBR900F and it's everything I could want. Excellent black levels and superb video processing. While its remote blows and its OS is wonky, it's a superb set and I'm glad to have it mounted in my theater. To put the similarly priced SM90 next to the X900F should create a source of embarrassment for LG. Their IPS panels simply cannot hold a candle to the VA panel in the Sony and Samsung owners would likely have the same experience if watching the LG. If off-access viewing is that important then prepare to give up a ton of picture enjoyment for the sake of other people watching a mediocre-at-best set.

Caveat emptor: the LG is an underwhelming choice to say the least.

JMTC
rynomyte likes this.

Last edited by nakiejakie; 07-01-2019 at 04:25 PM.
post #138 of 215 Old 07-01-2019, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakiejakie View Post
Bought it. Returned it. for a brief weekend I owned the 75 SM90. This TV is Shakespearean as it's the best of times and the worst of times. First the good: the video processor is top notch. DirecTV looks terrific. I saw little to no DSE when watching a DVRd Stanley Cup Final game and a Super Bowl re-run of New Orleans vs Indy was top notch with uniforms looking gorgeous and the grass looking like you could touch it. Watching 4k on Netflix was a good experience. The OS is superb and I like the magic remote. The TV looks very nice and it feels well built. Great to have the most up-do-date HDMI although I think that caused a major problem (see below).

However, there are some detractors that are insurmountable (that could be leading to the already-massive price cuts on the 55 and 65-inch models): as often stated, the black levels are embarrassing. For its flagship LED TV, LG should've gone with a VA panel. The blacks are so bad my girlfriend said (without prompting) that it looked like the actors were in a cloud. I tried all adjustments available including cycling through all of the local dimming options. To level set, I played The Martian and John Wick on a Panasonic DP-UB820-K routed through a Denon AVR4400H receiver using compliant HDMI cables. For comparison, I tried a 2019 65-inch Vizio Quantum G1 with a VA panel that evinced superb blacks. While I loved the 4k UHDs on that set, the DSE while watching hockey was unacceptable. There was a perceptible block of very slight gray that occupied a symmetrical middle of the screen when the cameras panned back as the players were exiting zones and passing the puck forcing quick pans of the cameras. So the Vizio went back and I bought the 75 SM90 though I had serious misgivings about its black levels. In other words, I took a flier.

I tinkered with the calibration settings from Rtings for this set's predecessor since they have not reviewed the 2019 version yet. Nothing worked. The black bars were gray in many scenes. The blooming was awful. And it looked like beams of light coming through the screen on very dark scenes. It was unwatchable as a movie monitor.

The second issue may be an HDMI 2.1 problem...not sure since I've found nothing on this online. But when I turned on my DirecTV DVR, as routed through my 4K-compliant Denon, I got zero sound through my receiver. Nothing. I tried everything from re-setting the box to re-setting the Denon to messing with the speaker settings on the TV's menu. Zippo. There was a brief second after cycling the DVR back on that showed a message stating that the component did not have sufficient copy protection. Not sure if that was it or not because the message went away almost instantly. But this was clearly as show stopper as I have no interest in using ARC for audio given that I have all of my components running through my receiver to ensure Dolby Atmos and lossless audio compatibility. My Panny blu-ray player? No problem. My Roku Elite? No problems passing audio. But my HDR24 DirecTV receiver was rendered mute and for that matter moot.

In conclusion, I went to BB yesterday and got the 75-inch Sony XBR900F and it's everything I could want. Excellent black levels and superb video processing. While its remote blows and its OS is wonky, it's a superb set and I'm glad to have it mounted in my theater. To put the similarly priced SM90 next to the X900F should create a source of embarrassment for LG. Their IPS panels simply cannot hold a candle to the VA panel in the Sony and Samsung owners would likely have the same experience if watching the LG. If off-access viewing is that important then prepare to give up a ton of picture enjoyment for the sake of other people watching a mediocre-at-best set.

Caveat emptor: the LG is an underwhelming choice to say the least.

JMTC
Yeah I purchased this TV and return it the next day. This unit look just as good as my old 1080p set when it came to colors. I thought this TV would blow away my old TV and myself with colors popping but it was meh. I wasn't impressed by it at all. I purchased an Vizio P 2018 set and that BLEW me away, it looked like a TRUE 4k TV but it had terrible DSE, reason I had to return that. Right now I'm waiting for Hisense H9F and if that fails, I'm going to either wait for black friday or wait till next year.
post #139 of 215 Old 07-02-2019, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hello all, came across this thread after some google searching. I've read every post up till the last one before mine. I just got the 65'' SM9000 after coming from a 10 year old LG 50'' 1080p Plasma. For me this TV is awesome by comparision.

I only use the Smart TV Web OS apps, and the Amazon fire stick for content. I am trying to detemrine the best settigns for the TV. I do notice some blooming and judder in certain scenes. What is the consenus here for the best settings in regards to blooming, FALD, judder and motion. If anyone has any calibration color tips as well that would be great, otherwise I am going off settings from Rtings on a previous gen. Out of the box was this set pretty good, or do you feel it needed a lot of adjusting?

Please understand this is my first 4K HDR TV so I am off the deep end here. Thanks everyone.

Angelo TV LG 65'' SM9000
post #140 of 215 Old 07-02-2019, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
4k 120hz with Computer

Can anyone tell me if the option for 4k 120hz shows up in Nvidia control panel? If so, is 10bit listed? You might have to change the FPS to 96 to keep it 10bit..

About 10 bit... what is 10 bit dithering? It's not 8 bit right? I assume it's 10 bit plus dithering to make it appear as 12 bit?
post #141 of 215 Old 07-02-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo Cosma View Post
Hello all, came across this thread after some google searching. I've read every post up till the last one before mine. I just got the 65'' SM9000 after coming from a 10 year old LG 50'' 1080p Plasma. For me this TV is awesome by comparision.

I only use the Smart TV Web OS apps, and the Amazon fire stick for content. I am trying to detemrine the best settigns for the TV. I do notice some blooming and judder in certain scenes. What is the consenus here for the best settings in regards to blooming, FALD, judder and motion. If anyone has any calibration color tips as well that would be great, otherwise I am going off settings from Rtings on a previous gen. Out of the box was this set pretty good, or do you feel it needed a lot of adjusting?

Please understand this is my first 4K HDR TV so I am off the deep end here. Thanks everyone.
The amount of blooming will change depending on viewing angle. My 55SM9000 is at eye level (on a tv stand) and directly viewed so I see minimal or no blooming most of the time.

I have local dimming set to medium or high for most picture modes.

Not sure what type of judder you mean but I did notice some artifacts in certain content (like the TV was over-smoothing things) so I turned off TruMotion.
post #142 of 215 Old 07-02-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac franklin View Post
Can anyone tell me if the option for 4k 120hz shows up in Nvidia control panel? If so, is 10bit listed? You might have to change the FPS to 96 to keep it 10bit..

About 10 bit... what is 10 bit dithering? It's not 8 bit right? I assume it's 10 bit plus dithering to make it appear as 12 bit?

No hdmi 2.1 cards are available yet so 4k 120Hz won't show as option. However, using the latest Gator DP to hdmi cable I was able to test it in the Nvidia panel's custom resolution. Using a 1050 Ti the test passed at 4k 120Hz but for some reason the custom config didn't save as an option in the list. I was using an older driver so I plan to retest after installing the latest.

10bit was listed but I don't recall if I saw a 12bit option or if I tried 8bit.

Realtek is working on a DP 1.4 to hdmi 2.1 chip that will allow adapters and cables to do 120Hz+ so we may have to wait a bit longer.
post #143 of 215 Old 07-02-2019, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by del2d View Post
No hdmi 2.1 cards are available yet so 4k 120Hz won't show as option. However, using the latest Gator DP to hdmi cable I was able to test it in the Nvidia panel's custom resolution. Using a 1050 Ti the test passed at 4k 120Hz but for some reason the custom config didn't save as an option in the list. I was using an older driver so I plan to retest after installing the latest.

10bit was listed but I don't recall if I saw a 12bit option or if I tried 8bit.

Realtek is working on a DP 1.4 to hdmi 2.1 chip that will allow adapters and cables to do 120Hz+ so we may have to wait a bit longer.
I have the one from belkin that has been available for a while and supposedly supports 4k 120 dont have the tv to confirm though lol
post #144 of 215 Old 07-02-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaboi89 View Post
I have the one from belkin that has been available for a while and supposedly supports 4k 120 dont have the tv to confirm though lol
Cabling is not the problem. I already have a 48Gbps hdmi cable capable of 8K 120Hz and 4K 240Hz:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KNRXGW4

Problem is the ports on current devices. AFAIK, except for rumors of Xbox One X (which I don't have), none of them will output hdmi signals beyond 4K 60Hz.
post #145 of 215 Old 07-04-2019, 07:36 PM

I'm having problems playing movies on disc(Blu Ray, DVD) on this TV with an XBOX ONE X. I get an HDCP message on the TV. I have tried everything possible, nothing works. I called Microsoft, and nothing they can do. I talked with LG, have to wait for a response. The LG rep was going to escalate the matter.
post #146 of 215 Old 07-09-2019, 10:25 AM

75SM8670 -- After turning off the local dimming seemed to have fixed the absolutely horrible vertical flashlight issue but now I have a pretty bright cloud/area coming from from the top right corner of my screen. Viewing any dark scene there is a very noticeable and distracting cloud that not only kills black levels in that upper area but even washes out some color as well.

Anyone else having this issue?
post #147 of 215 Old 07-09-2019, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Subscribed for future
post #148 of 215 Old 07-11-2019, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
i think i turned mine off as well. i wonder if its a source issue & not a tv issue. ive played "it" & several dark 4k dolby vision/reg blue rays/audio cds through lg player no noticable blooming. stream netflix amazon w hdr same thing. playing far cry 5 with hdr, through ps4 pro & the blooming is horrible. thankfully its a bright game, but in the load screens the blooming will take up a large section of the screen.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Dr.Shankenstein likes this.
post #149 of 215 Old 07-12-2019, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Ouch. I think I may be removing the SM9070 from my short list.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/review....&id=1562915899

Spoiler!
post #150 of 215 Old 07-12-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynomyte View Post
Ouch. I think I may be removing the SM9070 from my short list.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/review....&id=1562915899
Yup..same here. Thanks for posting the link. Too bad. I was hoping to get HDMI 2.1 at a reasonable price, but maybe will have to wait!
rynomyte likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page