2019 LG SM9000 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 93Likes

post #151 of 219 Old 07-12-2019, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynomyte View Post
Ouch. I think I may be removing the SM9070 from my short list.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/review....&id=1562915899

Harsh but true. Hopefully LG (assuming they choose to address them) can fix the image problems with firmware.

However, I've wondered if LG's panel choices were limited for native 120Hz on the SM series. I honestly don't know but seems there are few options for larger screens with such high refresh rates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 219 Old 07-13-2019, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 2756 Post(s)
Liked: 2596
I just don't get the low ratings for the LG TVs. The last two hotel stays I did both had 55" LG TVs. I'm sure they weren't high end sets but both had great picture quality and even watching with the lights off letter bar content from cable had black letter bars were black. Everything over cable looked great.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #153 of 219 Old 07-13-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
I just don't get the low ratings for the LG TVs. The last two hotel stays I did both had 55" LG TVs. I'm sure they weren't high end sets but both had great picture quality and even watching with the lights off letter bar content from cable had black letter bars were black. Everything over cable looked great.

Don't get me wrong, the picture is good enough that I kept my 55." It's just not as great compared to some other sets in the same tier (which I believe the review is referring to).

It's still the best TV I've yet owned and (occasionally) less than TOTL image quality won't matter once I start feeding it a 4K 120Hz signal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 219 Old 07-13-2019, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 198
I'm sending mine back. For some reason the past week I've been having horrible and I mean horrible blooming issues. Not sure what's going on. Probably going to get a C9 around black Friday.

I'm gutted because the TV was great, I dont know what the hell happened.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
rynomyte likes this.

Sony 900F, KS8000, P607
post #155 of 219 Old 07-14-2019, 06:38 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 93
@Kini62 In the last few years, LG has been using IPS panels for their LED TVs. IPS technology has great color accuracy and viewing angles but falls short on black levels and contrast compared to VA panel technology. If only LG would start using VA on their LED TVs, but sadly it looks like that'll be a while before that happens because LG seem to only care about OLED these days.
Dr.Shankenstein likes this.

America elevates you to another level.
post #156 of 219 Old 07-14-2019, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoland2020 View Post
@Kini62 In the last few years, LG has been using IPS panels for their LED TVs. IPS technology has great color accuracy and viewing angles but falls short on black levels and contrast compared to VA panel technology. If only LG would start using VA on their LED TVs, but sadly it looks like that'll be a while before that happens because LG seem to only care about OLED these days.
LG has always been a proponent of the IPS panel.
There were a few exceptions between 2010/2012 that they subbed out for VA panels and their edge dimming and local dimming was better.

I owned an LE8500 (FALD) and LM7600 (Edge dimming) that had pretty impressive contrast for an IPS panel.

Their focus has shifted so much on the high end market that their LCD displays have taken a back seat.
I think the SK9500 from last year hit just above 3000:1 with FALD enabled.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk
Zoland2020 likes this.
post #157 of 219 Old 07-15-2019, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by del2d View Post
Don't get me wrong, the picture is good enough that I kept my 55." It's just not as great compared to some other sets in the same tier (which I believe the review is referring to).

It's still the best TV I've yet owned and (occasionally) less than TOTL image quality won't matter once I start feeding it a 4K 120Hz signal.
I have a 6 year old 55LM7600, which IMO has a fantastic picture (I watch primarily 720p and 1080p). I'm wanting to upgade but it seems everyone finds something wrong on all the new non-OLED tvs, no matter the price point. Makes me not want to upgrade. If my tv were reviewed today I'm sure it would probably get horrible reviews, but to me has very little flaws (if any).

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
psinsyd likes this.
post #158 of 219 Old 07-15-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodysj View Post
I have a 6 year old 55LM7600, which IMO has a fantastic picture (I watch primarily 720p and 1080p). I'm wanting to upgade but it seems everyone finds something wrong on all the new non-OLED tvs, no matter the price point. Makes me not want to upgrade. If my tv were reviewed today I'm sure it would probably get horrible reviews, but to me has very little flaws (if any).

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

True, there are no perfect TVs out there. That's one reason I kept the 55SM9000 after thinking: What would I get in its place? Had I gotten a more expensive OLED would I be complaining about image retention months from now? Instead, I chose to be content with the image and the features I got it for.
post #159 of 219 Old 07-19-2019, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I've owned the 75SM9070 for about 3 weeks now so I'll try to give some input for anyone interested in this TV. I was leaning towards the 75X900F but the Best Buy managed to convince me on purchasing the SM9000.

But first a little background about me. So you guys have an idea if you should throw my opinion out the window or not. I've never been big into home theater until about 2 or 3 months ago and started doing some research. I've just been your typical play it safe and buy a Samsung type of guy. I own about 3 Samsung TVs around KS8000 tier.

Now for my opinion on the TV. Fair warning though I have yet to calibrate it.

The smart portion of the TV is really nice and fast. I prefer the LG over the Samsung but I use a Fire TV anyways so that was never my concern.

I would say the TV is really nice when watching bright scenes. I tested with Planet Earth and I was amazed how clear and bright everything was. My friends and I were really impressed while watching. I have yet to test it on anything sports related though.

Now onto my disappointment with the TV. I wanted to test this TV in the dark so I threw on a few movies with dark scenes. The blacks look dark greyish with a hint of blue. It's not true black but it's close enough.

I never knew what blooming was before but now I do and it is really noticeable with this TV. You can pretty much see light bleed through in the dimming zones and if you're watching a move with subtitles it's damn near impossible not to notice them. I mean not the subtitles themselves but the light behind them. It's really distracting. I went to try the same movie on my KS8000 and it handled it noticeable better than the SM9000.

I'll try to upload some pictures tonight or tomorrow if you guys are interested? I can answer some questions if you have any. I'm not an expert though.

Overall though I really enjoy the TV. I don't watch movies too often in the dark so I can live with it.

Video: 55KS8000, 75SM9070
Audio: Denon X3400H, Emotiva T1, Emotive C1, Polk Audio OWM3, still looking for a sub :(
post #160 of 219 Old 07-24-2019, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty212 View Post
I've owned the 75SM9070 for about 3 weeks now so I'll try to give some input for anyone interested in this TV. I was leaning towards the 75X900F but the Best Buy managed to convince me on purchasing the SM9000.

But first a little background about me. So you guys have an idea if you should throw my opinion out the window or not. I've never been big into home theater until about 2 or 3 months ago and started doing some research. I've just been your typical play it safe and buy a Samsung type of guy. I own about 3 Samsung TVs around KS8000 tier.

Now for my opinion on the TV. Fair warning though I have yet to calibrate it.

The smart portion of the TV is really nice and fast. I prefer the LG over the Samsung but I use a Fire TV anyways so that was never my concern.

I would say the TV is really nice when watching bright scenes. I tested with Planet Earth and I was amazed how clear and bright everything was. My friends and I were really impressed while watching. I have yet to test it on anything sports related though.

Now onto my disappointment with the TV. I wanted to test this TV in the dark so I threw on a few movies with dark scenes. The blacks look dark greyish with a hint of blue. It's not true black but it's close enough.

I never knew what blooming was before but now I do and it is really noticeable with this TV. You can pretty much see light bleed through in the dimming zones and if you're watching a move with subtitles it's damn near impossible not to notice them. I mean not the subtitles themselves but the light behind them. It's really distracting. I went to try the same movie on my KS8000 and it handled it noticeable better than the SM9000.

I'll try to upload some pictures tonight or tomorrow if you guys are interested? I can answer some questions if you have any. I'm not an expert though.

Overall though I really enjoy the TV. I don't watch movies too often in the dark so I can live with it.
75SM9070 for about 3 weeks now so I'll try to give some input for anyone interested in this TV. I was leaning towards the 75X900F but the Best Buy managed to convince me on purchasing the SM9000.
-----------------------------------------------

I posted three weeks ago on this same issue but now having had my Sony for almost a month I will summarize.

Wow. My Best Buy rep did the exact opposite. He kept pushing me toward the Sony. However, I bought the 75SM9070 because right out of the gate the price from a Newegg marketplace dealer was well below MSRP. I had reservations right from the start as I started to read the few reviews I could find and learning of the difference between IPS and VA panels (which I did NOT research before buying the LG). When it finally arrived I was absolutely thrilled with the OS, the build quality, and even loved the remote. And I really liked that it said Full Array Dimming PRO on the box (something LG does not advertise is on the 75 and 86 inch versions of this model). I hooked it up to my system and played DVRd recordings from my DirecTV receiver of both a hockey game and a football game and the picture was superb. Very sharp and no lag. I was impressed.

Then I popped in a 4k blu-ray of John Wick on a Saturday night via my new Panasonic UHD blu-ray player. And everything fell apart. I fussed with the FALD settings going from high to low to medium. I played around with all of the settings using some calibration points from the prior year's model. I tried everything but the blooming was really bad when the FALD was set to high and the gray/cloudy milky haze was outrageous when the FALD was set to low. Bright objects seeped into the black framing bars on the top and bottom of the screen. Even my girlfriend who owns nothing electronic commented on the poor picture quality saying it looked like the movie was shot in a cloud. I REALLY wanted to like this TV based on its price point and the fact that it was shipped to me and I had very little interest in shipping back a 75-inch TV. But I could not imagine this TV being the centerpiece of my home theater for the next 5-10 years. Not with such horrendous black levels. John Wick is a dark movie from start to finish and will really push the black levels of the TV. This TV utterly failed.

It went back to Newegg.

Off to Best Buy for the Sony 75X900F and I have zero regrets. Very good blacks (not virtually pitch black like my 2014 Panasonic 65 VT60 plasma that (yay) plays 3D in addition to a terrific picture) and superb video processing. No DSE whatsoever (a real problem with the 2019 Vizio 65 F-1 Quantum I tried) so the same football and hockey recordings look incredible as they did on the LG.

The Sony's OS to me is clunky and its remote seems like it's out of the 90s but as I'm using a Roku I don't care. I didn't buy it for its OS. I bought it for the picture.

If you're still in the return window, I strongly suggest you swap the LG for the Sony.

You can thank me later.

NakieJakie
rynomyte likes this.

Last edited by nakiejakie; 07-24-2019 at 10:50 AM.
post #161 of 219 Old 07-24-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakiejakie View Post
75SM9070 for about 3 weeks now so I'll try to give some input for anyone interested in this TV. I was leaning towards the 75X900F but the Best Buy managed to convince me on purchasing the SM9000.

I posted three weeks ago on this same issue but now having had my Sony for almost a month I will summarize.

Wow. My Best Buy rep did the exact opposite. He kept pushing me toward the Sony. However, I bought the 75SM9070 because right out of the gate the price from a Newegg marketplace dealer was well below MSRP. I had reservations right from the start as I started to read the few reviews I could find and learning of the difference between IPS and VA panels (which I did NOT research before buying the LG). When it finally arrived I was absolutely thrilled with the OS, the build quality, and even loved the remote. And I really liked that it said Full Array Dimming PRO on the box (something LG does not advertise is on the 75 and 86 inch versions of this model). I hooked it up to my system and played DVRd recordings from my DirecTV receiver of both a hockey game and a football game and the picture was superb. Very sharp and no lag. I was impressed.

Then I popped in a 4k blu-ray of John Wick on a Saturday night via my new Panasonic UHD blu-ray player. And everything fell apart. I fussed with the FALD settings going from high to low to medium. I played around with all of the settings using some calibration points from the prior year's model. I tried everything but the blooming was really bad when the FALD was set to high and the gray/cloudy milky haze was outrageous when the FALD was set to low. Bright objects seeped into the black framing bars on the top and bottom of the screen. Even my girlfriend who owns nothing electronic commented on the poor picture quality saying it looked like the movie was shot in a cloud. I REALLY wanted to like this TV based on its price point and the fact that it was shipped to me and I had very little interest in shipping back a 75-inch TV. But I could not imagine this TV being the centerpiece of my home theater for the next 5-10 years. Not with such horrendous black levels. John Wick is a dark movie from start to finish and will really push the black levels of the TV. This TV utterly failed.

It went back to Newegg.

Off to Best Buy for the Sony 75X900F and I have zero regrets. Very good blacks (not virtually pitch black like my 2014 Panasonic 65 VT60 plasma that (yay) plays 3D in addition to a terrific picture) and superb video processing. No DSE whatsoever (a real problem with the 2019 Vizio 65 F-1 Quantum I tried) so the same football and hockey recordings look incredible as they did on the LG.

The Sony's OS to me is clunky and its remote seems like it's out of the 90s but as I'm using a Roku I don't care. I didn't buy it for its OS. I bought it for the picture.

If you're still in the return window, I strongly suggest you swap the LG for the Sony.

You can thank me later.

NakieJakie
It's funny you wrote this just now. I'm actually going to return the TV tonight to Best Buy. I thought I could deal with black levels and the blooming but after trying to watch some movies with the wife over the weekend we just couldn't do it. The subtitles were way too distracting and the bleed through just got worse. I don't know why I wasn't too worried about it before but my eyes could not stop noticing them.

So the TV is going back and I am looking at getting the 75" X950G
rynomyte likes this.

Audio: Denon X3400H, Emotiva T1, Emotive C1, Polk Audio OWM3, still looking for a sub :(
post #162 of 219 Old 07-24-2019, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:

It went back to Newegg.

You can thank me later.

NakieJakie
@nakiejakie

I was torn between the two but I'm leaning towards the Sony now. Since you have it, I was just hoping to ask you something. My viewing area is such that I have a sectional and my fave position is the corner when I can lie down and watch. This would be directly in line with the left edge of the TV, if I was to go with the 85 in - with a viewing distance of around 12 to 14 feet. Do you think the angle from the centre and right edge of the TV would cause a significant enough deterioration in colors and clarity? Just wondering if the x900f would be good enough, or should i consider the 950G with X-wide. I dont think the cost different warrants the 950 over the 900, but im hoping to get confirmation :P
post #163 of 219 Old 07-25-2019, 06:36 AM

Quote:
It's funny you wrote this just now. I'm actually going to return the TV tonight to Best Buy. I thought I could deal with black levels and the blooming but after trying to watch some movies with the wife over the weekend we just couldn't do it. The subtitles were way too distracting and the bleed through just got worse. I don't know why I wasn't too worried about it before but my eyes could not stop noticing them.

So the TV is going back and I am looking at getting the 75" X950G
I would strongly suggest you compare the X900F to the X950G. I did extensive research and found that there is no justification for the price difference. Unless off-angle viewing is critical to you, in which case the 950G does attempt to add x-angle viewing but at the expense of lowered contrast, I'd recommend the 900F. In fact, in some reviews, the 900F exceeds the 950G for contrast.

I had the sales reps at BB tripping over themselves trying to justify the 950G and they kept trying to point out incredibly subtle differences made by the X1 Ultimate processor vs the X1 Extreme and I finally called BS. You'd need a magnifying glass to see the difference. Funny enough, they didn't mention the off-angle supposed superiority of the 950G to the 900F. So I didn't do a comparison on that one element of the TV - not that it would've swayed me toward the 950G since my viewing is directly in front of the TV in a small man cave.

It's a huge commitment to spend as much as these TVs cost especially when you're talking the 75" and above versions of these sets. Spend wisely. I easily had the budget for the X950G and went with the 900F instead and have zero regrets (and I ALWAYS think and re-think my purchases when a "better" model is available). Unless this television is going to be in a family room with lots of viewers scattered around the at widely divergent viewing angles I'd give long consideration to the much cheaper alternative - the 900F.

You'll love either set (especially when compared to the LG's IPS panel)...but caveat emptor, in this case, perhaps the older model is the better value.

NakieJakie

Last edited by nakiejakie; 07-25-2019 at 07:28 AM.
post #164 of 219 Old 07-25-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1ghtcrawl3r View Post
@nakiejakie

I was torn between the two but I'm leaning towards the Sony now. Since you have it, I was just hoping to ask you something. My viewing area is such that I have a sectional and my fave position is the corner when I can lie down and watch. This would be directly in line with the left edge of the TV, if I was to go with the 85 in - with a viewing distance of around 12 to 14 feet. Do you think the angle from the centre and right edge of the TV would cause a significant enough deterioration in colors and clarity? Just wondering if the x900f would be good enough, or should i consider the 950G with X-wide. I dont think the cost different warrants the 950 over the 900, but im hoping to get confirmation :P
My 75 X900F is directly in front of me in my man cave. I have connected recliners with a console in between and have mine positioned top dead center (shout out to those old enough to know what top dead center means when adjusting the timing on your engine). I do notice immediate contrast and color degradation when off angle but you need to be really off angle for it to be a major issue. I'm fortunate enough to have a 65 inch Panasonic VT60 (still gorgeous blacks and with 3D no less) with incredible off-angle viewing as a comparative. With that set, you can be nearly parallel to the set and still watch it.

If you are committed to off-angle then I would consider the 950G for only that reason as contrast levels in that set have shown to take a hit because of the trade-off for off angle clarity.

I never rely on in-store demos for anything as their sets are designed to attract eyeballs for the wrong reasons. But in this case, I would def head to a brick and mortar that has both sets and stand top dead center then move off angle to see how the image degrades on the two sets.

For me, based on my extensive research, significant off-angle viewing would be the only reason I'd pay the premium for the 950G over the 900F. I watch tons of hockey so gray levels and contrast are critical to me to eliminate DSE and the 900F does this in spades. It is gorgeous for hockey whose extreme speed and brilliant whites from the ice really put a television to the test. In comparison, I owned (in addition to the black-level challenged LG 75SM90), the 2019 Vizio P659-G1 and the dirty screen effect was horrible while watching hockey and it had to go back.

In conclusion, in my real life environment, I was able to test the 75 inch LG, the 65 inch Vizio, and the 75 inch Sony and the Sony reigned supreme by a long shot over the LG and over the Vizio only in its video processor and gray uniformity which leads to superb hockey watching.

Let us know your decision and how you make out.

Best of luck.

NakieJakie
post #165 of 219 Old 07-25-2019, 12:44 PM

Thanks for the input nakiejakie.

I have yet to bring a replacement TV home. This TV will be going into my basement with a staircase leading down that brings in quite a bit of light from the front door at the top. My room is about 22' x 19' and it will be mounted along the 22' wall which was why I bought the SM9070 in the first place.

Right now I'm having a hard time deciding between the 75 X950G / 75 X900F / 65 LG C9

I considered the Q80R as well since it's on sale but I don't like the fact that it doesnt have eARC and Dolby Vision.

I heard rumors the X900F would be going on sale this weekend so I'll have to wait and see.

post #166 of 219 Old 07-26-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the input nakiejakie.

I have yet to bring a replacement TV home. This TV will be going into my basement with a staircase leading down that brings in quite a bit of light from the front door at the top. My room is about 22' x 19' and it will be mounted along the 22' wall which was why I bought the SM9070 in the first place.

Right now I'm having a hard time deciding between the 75 X950G / 75 X900F / 65 LG C9

I considered the Q80R as well since it's on sale but I don't like the fact that it doesnt have eARC and Dolby Vision.

I heard rumors the X900F would be going on sale this weekend so I'll have to wait and see.
If I had to do it all over again, I would still buy the X900F over the X950G because I simply cannot (at the 75-inch price point) justify the premium for an upgraded processor whose value is dubious and better off-angle viewing (at the price of diminished contrast). I kept asking the BB reps who were really pushing me to spend the extra scratch on the 950G if the premium was worth it and they couldn't answer me. In terms of the Q80, the price point seems way above the X900F and I've read that DSE can be very bad on their sets. Given how much sports I watch, especially hockey, this is a deal breaker for me. I would not let the lack of Dolby Vision necessarily dissuade me, but the DSE def would.

And BTW, the rumors were correct. Check the price on the X900F today. Then go buy it.

NakieJakie
post #167 of 219 Old 07-26-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
If I had to do it all over again, I would still buy the X900F over the X950G because I simply cannot (at the 75-inch price point) justify the premium for an upgraded processor whose value is dubious and better off-angle viewing (at the price of diminished contrast). I kept asking the BB reps who were really pushing me to spend the extra scratch on the 950G if the premium was worth it and they couldn't answer me. In terms of the Q80, the price point seems way above the X900F and I've read that DSE can be very bad on their sets. Given how much sports I watch, especially hockey, this is a deal breaker for me. I would not let the lack of Dolby Vision necessarily dissuade me, but the DSE def would.

And BTW, the rumors were correct. Check the price on the X900F today. Then go buy it.

NakieJakie
New to this forum. Are we allowed to be talking about other TV's in this thread?

Looks like my mind is made up

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by qwerty212; 07-26-2019 at 11:29 AM.
post #168 of 219 Old 07-26-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
New to this forum. Are we allowed to be talking about other TV's in this thread?

75" X900F for $1999? Looks like my mind is made up

Thanks for your help!
The definition of a no-brainer. I would expect stock of this TV to deplete rapidly at this price so lock it in now.

NakieJakie
post #169 of 219 Old 07-28-2019, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I bought mine and have spent a little time tweaking the settings. I had a Sony X850 65" before and moved up to a 75" now with the LG. After looking at BB and lots of other places I ended up buying mine off a tip I saw on Slickdeals. The actual place I ordered from was Greet Toe.com. No price discussion so I wont mention that I got a great deal.
post #170 of 219 Old 07-29-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotts4u View Post
I bought mine and have spent a little time tweaking the settings. I had a Sony X850 65" before and moved up to a 75" now with the LG. After looking at BB and lots of other places I ended up buying mine off a tip I saw on Slickdeals. The actual place I ordered from was Greet Toe.com. No price discussion so I wont mention that I got a great deal.
---------------------

Thanks for not mentioning that you got a great deal in order to stay compliant with the mandate that you recognize that you not mention that you got a great deal.

Glad we cleared that up. LOL.

NakieJakie
post #171 of 219 Old 08-01-2019, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Ah, just got a 65SM9000PUA it was replacement for my 65UB9500, there was a little dot in the bottom of the screen....

Will be setting up over the next days... Does this TV support component video, like my UB9500 did, or am I SOL and need a component to HDMI adapter... stuff I am trying to avoid for some classic game systems??

A quick look at the screen, much nicer than the UB9500 I had... I'll know better but, after reading this TV has 13.9ms lag, it will be a great gaming screen..

Can the component adapter from the 9500 work on this TV ?

I do have a LAG tester... so I will be going through and testing the TV once I have it setup...

-Dave

MCSE 2003
Windows Media Center specialist - MVP and Certified Home Theater specialist

Avid gamer and home theater junkie..

Last edited by DavidinCT; 08-01-2019 at 06:35 PM.
post #172 of 219 Old 08-02-2019, 04:20 PM

Has anyone done a bb calibration on theirs? Had our for a couple months now, just wondering if it’d improve anything

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #173 of 219 Old 08-03-2019, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I didnt do a full calibration but I did find some online settings and have used those as a basis then tweaked them a bit. The thing I notice about all those "ideal" settings is that they all seem so DARK. I end up tweaking the brightness up every time
post #174 of 219 Old 08-06-2019, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New FirmWare dropped last week. No official documentation yet, but it is out. Live chat agent said changelog will follow. But for right now 3.60 firmware version it adds support for airplay 2 and apple home kit.

Angelo TV LG 65'' SM9000
post #175 of 219 Old 08-07-2019, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Any owners of the 75" model willing to help me with a couple measurements? I am looking for, to no success thus far, for the depth of the 75SM9070 on the stand, broken down in sections. Overall depth of this TV with stand is 15 1/8". I am wondering the distance straight out from the screen to the tip of the arched foot in front of the TV? Then also wondering the distance from the back of the TV straight out to the very end of the stand in the back of the TV. Finally, I am wondering the width between the two front arch shaped feet, measuring from the outside of the feet. I would be very grateful if anyone here had these measurements, or could just grab a measuring tape and get them at your convenience. This info is typically available on a cut sheet, but LG does not publish their cut sheets anywhere online. A call to their off-shore CS yielded no results that were useful. I have a message into their CS on Facebook, but do not expect much. Again, many thank yous in advance to anyone who can get me these measurements. Thanks.
post #176 of 219 Old 08-11-2019, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Any remote guys here ? I was wondering if there was updated IR codes for buttons not on the remote, Like one touch to get into Low LAG mode or get settings just for gaming when I logon.

I noticed on some classic consoles I connected it didn't hop into low lag mode and don't want to go into a menu every time to adjust for it when I could macro it out.. IF I had a code...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo Cosma View Post
New FirmWare dropped last week. No official documentation yet, but it is out. Live chat agent said changelog will follow. But for right now 3.60 firmware version it adds support for airplay 2 and apple home kit.
Where do you find the changelogs on their site ? I was looking to find out what past versions offered and I cant find anything....

-Dave

MCSE 2003
Windows Media Center specialist - MVP and Certified Home Theater specialist

Avid gamer and home theater junkie..
post #177 of 219 Old 08-11-2019, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Exclamation

Let me be blunt so others aren't subjected to this total disgrace of a TV set:

-- I got the 65 inch version and the black levels are really dismal! Anyone with even a passing familiarity with cinematography, will have a fu**ng fever just thinking about this utter mess of a display.

-- If using it for digital movie viewing, just stay the hell away from this train wreck (can't comment on "normal" channels as I only stream).

-- Local dimming does not work as it introduces horrible blooming.

-- Fiddling with the CMS does improve things somewhat but then instead of blooming, you get clipping in all but the less demanding dark scenes.

-- Games are OK on my PS4 Pro but even here the blacks are a distraction to big to ignore.

Last but not least, it's definitively going back!
I'll bite the bullet and go for an OLED, at least I won't have arrhythmia every 5 seconds from buyers remorse. I actually think I had those synced to the phreaking 120Hz refresh rate (big whoopity doo)...
post #178 of 219 Old 08-12-2019, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
After spending a little time with my 75SM8670 I unfortunately can't return it to Conn's without paying a re-stocking fee that I refuse to pay. I contacted their warranty department about the situation (horrible black levels and blooming), their tech came out and contacted LG right there and sent in pictures. Long story short, LG is replacing the screen/display. My appointment is for this Friday so we'll see if it's any better.
post #179 of 219 Old 08-12-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio Ribeiro View Post
Let me be blunt so others aren't subjected to this total disgrace of a TV set:

-- I got the 65 inch version and the black levels are really dismal! Anyone with even a passing familiarity with cinematography, will have a fu**ng fever just thinking about this utter mess of a display.

-- If using it for digital movie viewing, just stay the hell away from this train wreck (can't comment on "normal" channels as I only stream).

-- Local dimming does not work as it introduces horrible blooming.

-- Fiddling with the CMS does improve things somewhat but then instead of blooming, you get clipping in all but the less demanding dark scenes.

-- Games are OK on my PS4 Pro but even here the blacks are a distraction to big to ignore.

Last but not least, it's definitively going back!
I'll bite the bullet and go for an OLED, at least I won't have arrhythmia every 5 seconds from buyers remorse. I actually think I had those synced to the phreaking 120Hz refresh rate (big whoopity doo)...
------------------

Yup. This TV is a disgrace for black levels as I've posted previously. I bought the 75-inch version that adds local dimming "pro" and the black levels are atrocious on that set as well. It went back to Newegg as I'd bought it through one of their marketplace vendors (Game Liquidations). Newegg had to get involved after Game Liquidations became completely unresponsive to my inquiries on my television's return status even though UPS tracking showed the set had been returned almost two full weeks to the Game Liquidations warehouse. Don't touch them with a ten foot pole regardless of price as their original shipping was horrific, too...27 days to deliver.

There is so much to love about these nano sets in terms of their OS and the overall look of the televisions in this line but for those expecting the TV's to be the centerpiece of their home theatres I would strongly caution anyone who has owned a plasma or a VA panel in the past to be afraid...be very afraid...of the stupendously poor black levels on this television. While not perfect itself, I replaced this with the Sony 75" 900F and haven't ever looked back. Zero regrets on the Sony and at the 75-inch price point the OLED is simply not in my budget. Enjoy your OLED.

NakieJakie
post #180 of 219 Old 08-12-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando87 View Post
After spending a little time with my 75SM8670 I unfortunately can't return it to Conn's without paying a re-stocking fee that I refuse to pay. I contacted their warranty department about the situation (horrible black levels and blooming), their tech came out and contacted LG right there and sent in pictures. Long story short, LG is replacing the screen/display. My appointment is for this Friday so we'll see if it's any better.
It was an enormous hassle for me to re-box my 75SM90 but once I got my Sony 75XBR900F I knew I had made the right choice. The VA panel makes all the difference. While the re-stocking fee may be tough to swallow, every time you turn on your set you'll be reminded of your decision. I had to shell out quite a bit more for the Sony (definitely more than your restocking fee I can promise you) as I got a great deal on the LG but then I caught a miracle sale at BB on the Sony and they refunded the difference between the original price on the Sony and the new price so it came in as less than the LG after the rebate from BB.

A television is a long-term investment and we have visual proof every time we turn it on of the decision we made. I can only say from experience that I went from disappointed and extremely dissatisfied with the LG to thrilled with the Sony...you may find the same joy in a new Samsung or Vizio as both offer VA panels in their sets. Either way you clearly have choices.

Swallow the stocking fee and get something you'll love. You'll thank me later.

NakieJakie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays